PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 - Non Bulldog Games

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Great to see footy back at the MCG for what has been the last few years the opening match of the season course this year GWS v Sydney was the first match.

LostDoggy
29-03-2012, 08:40 PM
I wish they could both lose. With all the hype if Richmond lose, the microwaves will be cooking.

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I wish they could both lose. With all the hype if Richmond lose, the microwaves will be cooking.

When Richmond win its like they have won the premiership when they lose it's like the have lost it. Always Round 1 the Tigers fans are like this.

Maddog37
29-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Carlton with three number one picks and Judd. Have to say they are massive under achievers wouldn't you?

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Carlton with three number one picks and Judd. Have to say they are massive under achievers wouldn't you?

Yeah Carlton probably should have done more than they have with who they have.

bornadog
29-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Why do get round 1 at the G every year?

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 09:45 PM

Did you mean why don't we get to play first up in Round 1. I reckon it should be different teams very year playing in that first match. Maybe have the first match between last year's grand finalists. But they will have a match that will we draw a big crowd.

LostDoggy
29-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Geez there are some Gucci hair cuts in the Carlton side. Where did they do their preseason.... the salon?

hujsh
29-03-2012, 10:20 PM

Didn't some AFL article on the draw say that it was the 'traditional' season opener between Richmond and Carlton?

Maddog37
29-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Wasn't Jordan Russell a number two pick as well? Andrew Walker a number two pick?

Gee they really have underperformed.

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Looks like its going to be close with Carlton leading at 3/4 time by not very much.

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Wasn't Jordan Russell a number two pick as well? Andrew Walker a number two pick?

Gee they really have underperformed.

Jordan Russell was pick #9 overall and Andrew Walker was pick #2 overall in the national draft.

Desipura
29-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Jordan Russell was pick #9 overall and Andrew Walker was pick #2 overall in the national draft.

Who got picked up after them and how have they performed?
Walker had his best season last year kicking over.
Tim Walsh was taken at pick 2

Mantis
29-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Who got picked up after them and how have they performed?
Walker had his best season last year kicking over.
Tim Walsh was taken at pick 2

Pick 4.

Desipura
29-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Pick 4.

Oops

Desipura
29-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Pick 4.

Correction

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Looks like Carlton are going to win.

LostDoggy
29-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Richmond are still crap. Hype is all it was.
Although i don't think Carlton are top 4 either. Fantastic midfield and pace but they have deficiencies back and forward.

bornadog
29-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Didn't some AFL article on the draw say that it was the 'traditional' season opener between Richmond and Carlton?

Yeah a tradition since 2007 - Joke.

BTW why are we starting threads about every game. We normally just have one thread for all non-bulldog games.

Mods please change the heading.

LostDoggy
29-03-2012, 11:24 PM
As good as Couchin, Deledio, Riewodt and Martin are, you can't pretend to go far with players like the 2 Maric's, Post, Grigg, Houli, Tuck, Newman, Rance, Morris and Jackson.

The Coon Dog
29-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Are we going to have a thread about every game? Surely a Round 1 thread to discuss all 8 other games would suffice. Mods?

GVGjr
29-03-2012, 11:27 PM
BTW why are we starting threads about every game. We normally just have one thread for all non-bulldog games.

Mods please change the heading.

Are we going to have a thread about every game? Surely a Round 1 thread to discuss all 8 other games would suffice. Mods?

Done.

Remi Moses
29-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Well as per usual Richmond have hyped this game within an inch of it's life.
The president wanting Hardwick to be the next Tom Hafey.
That's a club that needs to find a lid urgently.Kevin Bartlett in particular, he hasn't shut up all summer. Carlton were well ahead of Richmond last season, so no great shock in the result.
Sidenote. Megan Gale rivaling Liz Hurley in the camera pan to stakes

The Coon Dog
29-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Done.

Thanks Gary, that was super quick.

bornadog
29-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Done.

Thank you.

I think one of Richmond's problems is their backline is too short and they lack a quality Ruckman. Maric is a band aide solution, but may come good as the season progresses.

GVGjr
29-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I think one of Richmond's problems is their backline is too short and they lack a quality Ruckman. Maric is a band aide solution, but may come good as the season progresses.

And way too young with little to no experience.

As for their ruckman, Maric and Vickery can develop into a good combination but it will take time.

Remi Moses
29-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Ivan Maric is better than they have. Addam Maric doesn't work hard enough, Post isn't up to it.
They just aren't big or good enough coming off the back 50, way to many poor kicks

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Post is terrible. I can't understand why they persist with him. No point playing a bloke who's tall for the sake of it.

Richmond looked similar to last year. Good in parts, really bad in other parts. Still going to take them at least another 2 years IMO.

Yarran is awesome to watch. He could become a genuine top 10 player. That goal was something few could do.

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Done.

Thanks for that. Each round if I make a thread about a game Ill make only one thread to talk about the other games with that game.

Desipura
30-03-2012, 09:04 AM
The tigers of old, every year we hear they are flying only to come crashing down, gotta love it!!!!

The Coon Dog
30-03-2012, 04:19 PM
The tigers of old, every year we hear they are flying only to come crashing down, gotta love it!!!!

Bloody annoying tho that they get the big stage every year, regardless of whether they stuff it up or not, its a massive free kick for them & their sponsors.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Bloody annoying tho that they get the big stage every year, regardless of whether they stuff it up or not, its a massive free kick for them & their sponsors.

Agreed.

Not sure why they continually get the rights, when they continually get hammered.

Still think the Grand Final 'rematch' should happen in round one, on a Friday Night, to kick off the season.

Hotdog60
30-03-2012, 04:31 PM
I think the draw should be out of a hat and come what may, but that another story.

Happy Days
30-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Was at the game last night, saw a disgruntled Richmond fan throw his guernsey off of the top deck of the Ponsford stand.

Eastdog
30-03-2012, 05:40 PM
A serious story I just heard about from last night game was a bashing of a Richmond supporter by 10 Carlton supporters.

Go_Dogs
30-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Big game on tonight, Hawks or Pies?

Eastdog
30-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Im tipping the Hawks but not very confident.

Maddog37
30-03-2012, 08:32 PM
If the Hawks pump them Bucks will be straight under pressure.

Eastdog
30-03-2012, 08:34 PM
If the Hawks pump them Bucks will be straight under pressure.

Definitely. If the Hawks win they won't win comfortably which is what I'm expecting.

Eastdog
30-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Tipping the pies now. Late tip change. :D

The Underdog
30-03-2012, 08:47 PM
I tipped Hawthorn but I just found out that Jarrad Boumann was playing AFL football in their senior side, of AFL football. For realsies.
Although apparently he might pick up something called Jackson Paine. These teams are premiership contenders yeah?

Eastdog
30-03-2012, 08:55 PM
The Hawks and Pies are tipped to be there at the business end of the season. Who knows early grand final preview.

LostDoggy
30-03-2012, 09:15 PM
I tipped Hawthorn but I just found out that Jarrad Boumann was playing AFL football in their senior side, of AFL football. For realsies.
Although apparently he might pick up something called Jackson Paine. These teams are premiership contenders yeah?

The biggest surprise re: Boumann playing for the dawks is that Clarko built his system on precise disposal in the back half, and Jarrad,s kicking is as iffy as they come.

comrade
30-03-2012, 09:29 PM
The biggest surprise re: Boumann playing for the dawks is that Clarko built his system on precise disposal in the back half, and Jarrad,s kicking is as iffy as they come.

I'd rather Boumann clogging our list than Mulligan :D

azabob
30-03-2012, 09:34 PM

But aren't you bias? We're you not a member of the Boumann fan club?

GVGjr
30-03-2012, 09:35 PM

I don't think many doubted Boumanns ability or athleticism but there was a lot of doubt about his maturity. Perhaps he has matured to a point where he can get the most out of his ability.

comrade
30-03-2012, 09:36 PM
But aren't you bias? We're you not a member of the Boumann fan club?

I was the Boumann fan club.

:o

Eastdog
30-03-2012, 09:38 PM
There are just some players that don't make it. What do you think of Everitt at Sydney and Ray at St Kilda.

azabob
30-03-2012, 09:40 PM
I was the Boumann fan club.

:o

Thought as much, but wasn't sure! ;)

comrade
30-03-2012, 09:42 PM
There are just some players that don't make it. What do you think of Everitt at Sydney and Ray at St Kilda.

We got reasonable compensation for both, so I'm ok with them.

Maybe it was Boumann's maturity level that held him back at the Dogs? Maybe we didn't do enough to extract the most out of him?

All I know is that we could do with some key defensive depth right now and having Mulligan waiting in the wings terrifies me.

azabob
30-03-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't think many doubted Boumanns ability or athleticism but there was a lot of doubt about his maturity. Perhaps he has matured to a point where he can get the most out of his ability.

Was an article in today's AGE saying the very thing. They mentioned when he arrived at the club he may have been 18, but more like a maturity of a 15 year old, and yes they went onto to say how he has matured.

Desipura
30-03-2012, 09:46 PM

The have a very strong supporter base and if they ever get it together, the AFL know they'll have potentially another powerhouse to match the likes of Collingwood and Carlton when they are flying.

Eastdog
30-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Collingwood have missed a lot of chances. There kicking has let them down. Someone I reckon Liam Jones should aspire to is Travis Cloke. Hopefully Jones improves his kicking because Cloke is not a good kick at all.

Mantis
30-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Collingwood have missed a lot of chances. There kicking has let them down. Someone I reckon Liam Jones should aspire to is Travis Cloke. Hopefully Jones improves his kicking because Cloke is not a good kick at all.

Jones's kicking is shitful so it's a good fit.

Eastdog
30-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I hope changing my tip from Hawthorn to Collingwood is worth it. Right now it is a flip of the coin on who will get over the line.

Eastdog
30-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Hawthorn are home now.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2012, 11:41 PM
What a game. Can't wait for the Lake / Franklin match up. Some amazing goals. Buddy just can't jag them from straight in front can he?

LostDoggy
30-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Yep fantastic game, fast paced end to end footy, all the skills on show. That mark that Cyril took was a cracker. Hawks are looking strong, with Roughhead and Hodge to come back in.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Boumann's still crap.

Pendlebury is an absolute superstar, and Cyril -- injury free -- is ridiculously good. My favourite player to watch, alongside Bud.

Remi Moses
30-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Strange to see the pies give up 20 goals.
Boumann was average, he gets pushed off the ball still to easily.
Thought McCauley was good for the Dorks( strange he got the chop yet they pick up the Beard)
Both teams seemed to beat the press with ease( reckon Round 1 fatigue was a factor)

Mantis
31-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Boumann's still crap.

Pendlebury is an absolute superstar, and Cyril -- injury free -- is ridiculously good. My favourite player to watch, alongside Bud.

You expected something different?

Agree with all the rest...

Greystache
31-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Boumann's still crap.

Indeed, and I never thought anything else.

He's a Scott Clayton key position player, he's tall and athletic, but he's far too skinny to ever hold down a key position in the AFL, and he doesn't have any real natural football ability.

Add in Boumann's case that his skills are poor and he's scared and I think we've missed nothing in delisting him. I predict he'll spend the the second half of the season languishing in the reserves and will be delisted not too long after.

westdog54
31-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Indeed, and I never thought anything else.

He's a Scott Clayton key position player, he's tall and athletic, but he's far too skinny to ever hold down a key position in the AFL, and he doesn't have any real natural football ability.

Add in Boumann's case that his skills are poor and he's scared and I think we've missed nothing in delisting him. I predict he'll spend the the second half of the season languishing in the reserves and will be delisted not too long after.

Is he on their senior list or the rookie list?

Desipura
31-03-2012, 09:03 AM

Are you still defending him? Cmon, you made an early/brave call and thought he would be a very good player for us and you were unfortunately incorrect. Time to move on. :D

Greystache
31-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Is he on their senior list or the rookie list?

Senior list.

Traded by GWS as a previously listed player to Hawthorn for pick 56.

chef
31-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Agreed.

Not sure why they continually get the rights, when they continually get hammered.

Still think the Grand Final 'rematch' should happen in round one, on a Friday Night, to kick off the season.

Might have something to do with having more supporters and so making the AFL more money.

Desipura
31-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Might have something to do with having more supporters and so making the AFL more money.

It's pretty simple really, isn't it?
If I was running the AFL, I would do the same.

Sedat
31-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Are you still defending him? Cmon, you made an early/brave call and thought he would be a very good player for us and you were unfortunately incorrect. Time to move on. :D
Keep fighting the good fight Comrade. My Ed Barlow fan club has shrunk dramatically over the off-sesaon, although I have gained a few new Jay Schulz and Matt Spangher converts in that time :)

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Since the afl shareholders are the clubs then making fair for every club should be the priority over just making profits to the league.

Anyway, If I was running the afl I think I'd give all the concessions possible to the bulldogs.

Sockeye Salmon
31-03-2012, 11:38 AM

That depends on what your main priority is.

If your aim is to make as much money as possible, then yes. If your aim is to run a fair and equitable competition, then no.

chef
31-03-2012, 11:41 AM

If your aim is to make as much money as possible, then yes. If your aim is to run a fair and equitable competition, then no.

When has it ever been fair and equitable though?

I think the AFL have proven that this will never be the case.

Desipura
31-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Since the afl shareholders are the clubs then making fair for every club should be the priority over just making profits to the league.

Anyway, If I was running the afl I think I'd give all the concessions possible to the bulldogs.

As a dogs supporter I would do the same as you, as a job where my responsibility is to make the AFL as successful financially as possible, I would run a similar ship to the AFL.

Desipura
31-03-2012, 12:13 PM

That's exactly right, totally agree. If my job is on the line, guess what I would do?

Sockeye Salmon
31-03-2012, 01:40 PM
That's exactly right, totally agree. If my job is on the line, guess what I would do?

My issue is why is it so important for the AFL to make 10's of millions of dollars profit each year? Certainly they have to be fiscally responsible, but there is no real reason for them to have 100's of millions in cash in the bank (unless you need it to prop up a couple of expansion teams for the next 20-30 years that is).

IMO, the AFL would be much better of running a fair competition and have a few million left over ean year than makes 10's of millions and have the game at the highest level hopelessly compromised.

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 02:07 PM
As a dogs supporter I would do the same as you, as a job where my responsibility is to make the AFL as successful financially as possible, I would run a similar ship to the AFL.

If you want it to be as financial as possible. Wouldnt it be easier if you just rid the comp of the concession sides.

It's a league competition and running that should be no.1 priority.

bornadog
31-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Do we want the competition to end up like the EPL ie only four teams can ever win the premiership, because that's what is going to happen as the bigger clubs get more and more supporters and grow and become so powerful with the minnows languishing and making up the numbers.

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Melbourne 6.4.40 Brisbane 5.7.37 current score 2nd 20:18

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 04:44 PM

So why are we stupid mug Bulldogs punters propping up a competition we'll never have a hope of winning and financially supporting a system designed to disadvantage us? I have plenty of other places to put my money.

These unfair decisions are ripping/have ripped the heart out of the game, and sure, it's making money at the top but it's hollowing out in the middle. If it's just a commercial transaction with no heart, I'll just move my money to the next interest that catches my eye, and maybe other punters will too. Of course, it'll survive anyway because we are in the most insular domestic market in the world serving the richest yet least discerning customers (thus why ridiculously uncompetitive oligarchies like Telstra, DJ/Myer and banks that charge us the privilege of taking our money can even exist -- in any other market they would have gone bust decades ago). Heck, AFL HQ probably doesn't care if stupid Dogs punters continue to pay up or not -- the faster North and Footscray can hurry up and die the faster they can make franchise teams of us to move around to the next Gold Coast or Vanuatu or something for political and commercial purposes.

If this were a competitive environment, fans can take a club back and force it to behave in a way that represents their interests (as often happens in other, non-American sports). As it is, we are all giving our money directly to AFL HQ, just through 18 different coloured tills. It makes no difference what colour you wear to a game -- your money is all the same to AD.

Greystache
31-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Can we get this thread back onto the round of footy?

Huddo with 17 possessions in Brisbane's win. Good on him.

bornadog
31-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Can we get this thread back onto the round of footy?

Huddo with 17 possessions in Brisbane's win. Good on him.

Gee Melbourne are week.

Greystache
31-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Gee Melbourne are week.

Yep, you'd have to wonder as a supporter what they stand for.

The way they cleared out virtually every player on their list over 23 was rediculous. We're seeing the fruits of that now, a team full of kids who are so used to losing they have no competitive spirit. It's going to take a monumental effort to turn their culture around.

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Gold Coast v Adelaide
Fremantle v Geelong
North Melbourne v Essendon
are coming up

North v Essendon was a hard one to tip

Remi Moses
31-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Hope they don't throw up the Jimmy Stynes excuse.
If a footy club requires that sort of lift they are stuffed.
Brissie just smashed them in effort and contested ball and throw in clearance work.
Early days but The Beard was good. Frawley having a chuckle with his opponent when you're getting pantsed is an awful look. Mitch Clark 600 large ( what a waste of money)

Ghost Dog
31-03-2012, 05:46 PM
No-one has really talked bout Brisbane in the pre-season. They have a few handy players to come back into the side as well. Might be dark horses.

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 05:54 PM
No-one has really talked bout Brisbane in the pre-season. They have a few handy players to come back into the side as well. Might be dark horses.

A Dark horse to finish 10th. They are both crap just Melbourne are worse.

Greystache
31-03-2012, 05:57 PM
K.Hunt showing a bit early, looks a vastly improved player. He looks a lot more comfortable with the speed of the game.

Signs not good for the Suns however.

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I think Melbourne are tanking.
Gold coast look horrible.

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Gold Coast are in for another bad year.

Maddog37
31-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I think Melbourne are tanking.
Gold coast look horrible.

How do you reckon they are tanking Chops?

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 06:32 PM
I just don't believe that for a 1st round game a team will tank. Very team wants to get of too a good start.

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 06:35 PM
I just don't believe that for a 1st round game a team will tank. Very team wants to get of too a good start.

How do you reckon they are tanking Chops?

:) hehe, I hope you know I was joking.

Sockeye Salmon
31-03-2012, 06:52 PM
:) hehe, I hope you know I was joking.

With an extra first round pick for Scully ....

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 06:53 PM
With an extra first round pick for Scully ....

Anything is possible

The Underdog
31-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow, Scarlett just punched Ballantyne in the face. Not much behind it but he'll miss a few. Ballantyne sucked him right in and then couldn't hit the ground quick enough.

On that, I'm already sick of guys giving guys lip and then diving to the ground when the retaliation comes.

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Is the scoreboard on the screen showing up on the Fox Footy coverage?

AndrewP6
31-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Is the scoreboard on the screen showing up on the Fox Footy coverage?

Yes it is

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Two nail biters.

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 11:26 PM
All over. North Melbourne and Fremantle win thrillers. I almost thought Geelong were going to snatch it in the end. C'mon Doggies tomorrow.

Hotdog60
31-03-2012, 11:34 PM
All over. North Melbourne and Fremantle win thrillers. I almost thought Geelong were going to snatch it in the end. C'mon Doggies tomorrow.

Essendon won

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Essendon won

My mistake. Essendon and Fremantle. Thanks for correcting me Hotdog60.

Remi Moses
01-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Don't know if this is going to be a trend but teams are kicking goals with open 50's.
Bombres nearly gave a game up, that they should have won comfortably.
Norf are honest but just don't know whether they can take that next step.
Essendon will be in that category that will be around the eight.

mjp
01-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Went to the Cats/Dockers.

Fyfe is a helluva player.

G-Mo77
01-04-2012, 09:29 AM
I went to the game last night. I wasn't all that impressed with either team to be honest. It is a Round 1 clash though so there is room for improvement but I didn't see the same defence that I saw from Essendon in 2011 which I think would be a worry for them if it doesn't improve.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Yep, you'd have to wonder as a supporter what they stand for.

The way they cleared out virtually every player on their list over 23 was rediculous. We're seeing the fruits of that now, a team full of kids who are so used to losing they have no competitive spirit. It's going to take a monumental effort to turn their culture around.

Exactly. This is why people who say "sack 'em all, and play the kids" are dill holes.
You still need a happy medium.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Exactly. This is why people who say "sack 'em all, and play the kids" are dill holes.
You still need a happy medium.

Was it largely a play to the supporters in doing this? Younger players look flashy, and give one a sense of hope for the future, but they can have real problems running out games. Think we saw that in the Collingwood V Hawthorn game. Some great flashy kids, but a hardened team can go the 4 quarters. Re Melbourne, Their Coach came out and said only 4 of his players got a pass mark for 4 quarters. That's pretty abysmal.

The Underdog
01-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Went to the Cats/Dockers.

Fyfe is a helluva player.

To be honest that was the first time I've had a real good look at him and I was hugely impressed. Smooth, one touch player. He looks like one of those "how the hell did he last to pick 20?" kind of guys. The sidestep in traffic on the wing was sublime.
On the other hand, did Stephen Hill do reverse kicking drills this offseason? His foot skills were appalling.
Your boy Ballantyne is certainly getting himself a reputation for sucking guys in.

chef
01-04-2012, 10:30 AM
To be honest that was the first time I've had a real good look at him and I was hugely impressed. Smooth, one touch player. He looks like one of those "how the hell did he last to pick 20?" kind of guys. The sidestep in traffic on the wing was sublime.
On the other hand, did Stephen Hill do reverse kicking drills this offseason? His foot skills were appalling.
Your boy Ballantyne is certainly getting himself a reputation for sucking guys in.

Not only that, he is also becoming quite a good player. One of my favourites that watch.