Western Bulldogs 15.5.95 defeated by West Coast Eagles 15.13.103

Last 5 Games Head to Head:

Round 19, 2011 WB 95 defeated by WCE 103
Round 9, 2011 WCE 175 defeated WB 52
Round 13, 2010 59 WCE defeated by WB 119
Round 19, 2009 WB 97 defeated by WCE 102
Round 4, 2009 WCE 116 defeated WB 83

Form Leading In:

The Bulldogs and Eagles over the 2012 preseason had entirely separate objectives. The Bulldogs under new coach Brendan McCartney were back in the classroom for re-education, while the Eagles sought to refine an effective forward defensive game in order to consolidate a position in the top four.

The Eagles form in the NAB Cup was impressive, making the final only to lose to Adelaide by 34 points away from home in their first loss of the preseason. Wins came over Essendon, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and St Kilda. The Eagles have added Josh Hill and Brad Dick to their list with Beau Wilkes and Brad Ebert two players with senior experience to depart. On the injury front, Mark LeCras (knee) and Mark Nicoski (hamstring) will be sorely missed, while Josh Kennedy and Quinten Lynch have had interrupted preseason’s and will be coming in underdone.

The Bulldogs delivered a mixed bag in terms of results over the 2012 preseason, with wins coming over GWS and Carlton, and losses to Collingwood, North Melbourne and Geelong. Departing the Bulldogs over the preseason was Barry Hall, Callan Ward, Ben Hudson and Josh Hill with no senior players of note coming on to their list. Ryan Griffen (finger), Tom Williams (shoulder) and Dale Morris (leg) are the major injury concerns for the Bulldogs, while question marks linger over Adam Cooney and Brian Lake’s ability to return something close to peak form.

Western Bulldogs Line Up (as listed on afl.com.au):

FB - Murphy, Lake, Addison
HB - Hargrave, Markovic, Howard
C - Cross, Smith, Wood
HF - Giansiracusa, Jones, Cooney
FF - Dickson, Roughead, Higgins
FOL – Minson, Boyd, Picken
INT – Grant, Panos, Veszpremi, Djerrkura, Wallis, Liberatore, Dahlhaus

West Coast Eagles Line Up (as listed on afl.com.au):

FB – Schofield, Glass, Waters
HB – Hurn, Mackenzie, Selwood
C – Rosa, Priddis, Masten
HF – Gaff, Lynch, Hill
FF – Shuey, Naitanui, Darling
FOL – Cox, Selwood, Kerr
INT – Butler, Embley, Kennedy, Smith, McGinnity, Weedon, Hams

Key Match Ups

Hargrave versus Darling – The Bulldogs have sorely missed the consistent input of Hargrave over the last twelve months and will rely on him heavily to mind the promising Darling. With Kennedy and Lynch each having limited preparations the Eagles will be depending on Darling to provide a consistent target throughout the match. Hargrave has the mobility and nous to limit his effectiveness.

Lake versus Kennedy – Expect Kennedy to line up at full forward if he is determined fit. The Bulldogs in possibly its worst performance over the last 20 years struggled to contain him at Subiaco in 2012 conceding to him double figures however, having to travel after a limited preparation renders Kennedy an unknown quantity. From the outside looking in, Lake seems to be a rejuvenated player. He’s certainly looking leaner than he has in past seasons, and taking on one of the leagues emerging marquee forwards will provide a solid gauge with respect to his physical and mental progress since and injury ravaged 2011.

Minson and Roughead versus Cox and Naitanui – The Eagles have one of the best ruck pairings in the league, and on paper and raw talent a decisive advantage over the Bulldogs in this area. To quell the influence of Cox and Naitanui the Bulldogs pair needs to play at their peak and ensure that while maintaining a defensive mindset throughout the game they provide attacking options when the Bulldogs take possession of the ball.

Where The Game Will Be Won and Lost:

With both forward lines looking thin with respect to established talent, the midfield looms at the main area in which the game will be won and lost.

The Bulldogs are likely to concede first use from the ruck duals and need to ensure the likes of Boyd, Cooney, Cross and Liberatore approach stoppages with a defensive mindset. Kerr will likely be minded by Picken if his influence over the game becomes too much to bare and the Eagles will be reliant upon a consistent effort and strong numbers from Matthew Priddis.

Robert Murphy’s run off half back will need to be tempered by the Eagles due to his ability to break the game open and move the ball deep in to attack or across the ground at Etihad Stadium. A potential match up on Josh Hill could be exploited by the Bulldogs, although Murphy will need to ensure Hill is kept quiet first and foremost.

The Eagles backline looks solid, and with adequate assistance from their midfield have the ability to frustrate the Bulldogs forwards and make creating scoring opportunities extremely difficult.

Verdict:

West Coast Eagles by 14 points.

Scraggers
30-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Great preview Jeemak ... A great way to start the season.

I think the loss of Nikoski and LeCras (who kicked 77 goals between them last year) will hurt the Eagles more than they care to acknowledge. The introduction of Hill to their forward line will help (if he can kick straighter than the NAB Cup final 2.6).

I would love to knock off the Weasels ... Particularly in round one, but I agree with you ... Eagles by 18 points.

Greystache
30-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Great work on the preview jeemak.

I'm more concerned with our ability to restrict small forwards than talls, so I think WCE's outs work out well for us. I'd also like to really hit them hard physically, if Minson can get into Cox and Nic Nat at the centre bounces if might reduce the obvious advantage they have over us in mobility. I'd also like to see Picken really get into Kerr, we've seen how easily he can be put off his game in the past, and with Griffen out and our overall running ability pretty poor it would go some way toward balancing the ledger.

G-Mo77
30-03-2012, 02:27 AM
I'd also like to really hit them hard physically, if Minson can get into Cox and Nic Nat at the centre bounces if might reduce the obvious advantage they have over us in mobility. I'd also like to see Picken really get into Kerr, we've seen how easily he can be put off his game in the past, and with Griffen out and our overall running ability pretty poor it would go some way toward balancing the ledger.

I'd love to see that as well. I remember him head butting Scott West one day. I don't remember West as a niggler so that and every other offence he has made over the years shows that he has a very short fuse.

I don't watch every WCE game but I can't recall Nic Nat being worked over. Problem is Will's playing Huddo's role from previous seasons and will be getting worked over himself.

I'd love to see someone get in Josh Hill's grill as well.

Go_Dogs
30-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Great preview jeemak, well done.

Massive first up test for our ruck division on Sunday, if our guys can somewhat break even it will go a long way.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Great preview JM

midfield will have to step up to compensate for their ruck advantage. Clay Smith, your time starts now.

the banker
30-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Great preview Jeemak. How do you see our goals coming? Short kicks to inside fifty, Gia, Higgins, grant or long bombs to jones and roughie with dahlhaus, Cooney, Dickson crumbing?

Very hopeful that Brian's return will make a profound difference and that new attitude to off the ball through the midfield will help us restrict opposition scoring , can we develop effective passages to goal is the question.

Hoping for a tight game 2-3 goals either way. Dogs on top a massive boost.

jeemak
30-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Great preview Jeemak. How do you see our goals coming? Short kicks to inside fifty, Gia, Higgins, grant or long bombs to jones and roughie with dahlhaus, Cooney, Dickson crumbing?

Very hopeful that Brian's return will make a profound difference and that new attitude to off the ball through the midfield will help us restrict opposition scoring , can we develop effective passages to goal is the question.

Hoping for a tight game 2-3 goals either way. Dogs on top a massive boost.

Cheers guys.

I think our medium forwards in Gia, Higgins and possibly Dickson all need to have belters and contribute multiple goals each, with one or two of them needing to kick 3-4. I'm still not sure which Jarrad Grant we're going to see and a lot of responsibility falls on to Liam Jones who presents well but hasn't kicked a bag yet.

Cooney could present some trouble when resting forward, and perhaps Minson and Roughead can get on the scoreboard as well. Beyond these guys, the midfield is looking a little bare for scoring capability without Ryan Griffen and Justin Sherman.

The game has the potential to be a very scrappy one IMO with the Eagles pressing hard and the Bulldogs struggling to find a target up the ground. I don't think we'll be bombing the ball forward, though we'll be moving it a bit slower than we have in the past.

bornadog
30-03-2012, 10:36 AM
great stuff Jeemak, very impressive preview, except the prediction:D

West Coast have had the wood over us for a number of years, so hopefully we can over come them.

KT31
30-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Well done Jeemak.
Not a bad side to start with, couple of newbies and some of youth with a couple of under their belts.
Nice to also have the experiance playes back.(especially Shaggy and Lake)
If we can hold onto them our future is looking quite bright.

DragzLS1
30-03-2012, 12:16 PM
I would prefer Minson up forward TBH he looks the most dangerous and is clearly our strongest player. I dont see any defender pushing him off the ball.

Minson to get into Cox and Nic Nat in the first Quarter and hit them hard then Roughead to take over leading into half time.. Lets get this game started already!!! cant wait

Happy Days
30-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Great stuff jeemak.

I'm more concerned with our ability to restrict small forwards than talls, so I think WCE's outs work out well for us.

Have to disagree here. Even if Lake can restrict Kennedy (I think given their current states he can), we will still be incredibly stretched by their talls when one of their rucks go forward. I think we've lucked out with them not selecting Lycett, because what truly killed us last year against them was Cox's contested marking, particularly in the fourth quarter. With every key position player (or even close to) relatively spoken for (Lake - Kennedy, Markovic - Lynch, Hargrave - Darling), I don't think we have the cattle to deal with a Cox/Nic Nat being swung forward.

I am, conversely, not at all worried about our defenders being stretched by the likes of Weedon, Hill and Hams.

Think that our work in close will be critical, because the fact of the matter is that their rucks will get first hands to the ball the majority of the time. Really going to have to work had to create a solid scrimmage for the first possession in the midfield if we're any chance of getting clearances, which is where B-Mac's physicality-based style will come in handy.

Don't hold much confidence in our forward line, but Jones on Mackenzie looks like a match up Liam could take advantage of and hopefully kick 4 or 5.

Eagles by 12, but we're not without a chance if the backline can get on top.

Maddog37
30-03-2012, 12:41 PM
I might sound like a broken record but we need to shut down Priddis and Kerr as they start alot of Weagles play and stop Hurn from getting cheap kicks.

Mantis
30-03-2012, 01:09 PM
I might sound like a broken record but we need to shut down Priddis and Kerr as they start alot of Weagles play and stop Hurn from getting cheap kicks.

What sort of tactics do you see us employing in these stopping roles, a team effort or individuals?

Greystache
30-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Great stuff jeemak.

Have to disagree here. Even if Lake can restrict Kennedy (I think given their current states he can), we will still be incredibly stretched by their talls when one of their rucks go forward. I think we've lucked out with them not selecting Lycett, because what truly killed us last year against them was Cox's contested marking, particularly in the fourth quarter. With every key position player (or even close to) relatively spoken for (Lake - Kennedy, Markovic - Lynch, Hargrave - Darling), I don't think we have the cattle to deal with a Cox/Nic Nat being swung forward.

I am, conversely, not at all worried about our defenders being stretched by the likes of Weedon, Hill and Hams.

Think that our work in close will be critical, because the fact of the matter is that their rucks will get first hands to the ball the majority of the time. Really going to have to work had to create a solid scrimmage for the first possession in the midfield if we're any chance of getting clearances, which is where B-Mac's physicality-based style will come in handy.

Don't hold much confidence in our forward line, but Jones on Mackenzie looks like a match up Liam could take advantage of and hopefully kick 4 or 5.

Eagles by 12, but we're not without a chance if the backline can get on top.

I was referring more in general than this specific game, but in the example you've provided I would be thrilled if Kennedy, Lynch, Darling, and Cox all played deep forward at the same time. They would have absolutely no space and every forward 50m entry would be to a contest. Between Lake and Markovic we'd be able to bring the ball to ground more often than not, and we would decimate them on the rebound.

We may have to conceede the occasion contested mark, but the cost/benefit would be heavily weighted in our favour.

Personally I can't see that set up occuring.

Maddog37
30-03-2012, 03:19 PM
What sort of tactics do you see us employing in these stopping roles, a team effort or individuals?

Hard tag on Priddis for mine. Also alt of team blocking on him.

Cyberdoggie
30-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Great Preview Jeemak.

Also on team selection, the WB website has re-installed the team selection video format from last year (of course with a different coach). No disrespect to our last coach but Macca seems a natural in this format, you would think he was a weatherman in a past life.

I mention this because he mentions a couple of interesting things. One is that Wood and Howard will swap positions throughout the game (wing and half back).
He was also really please with Markovic, Addison and Howard throughout the pre-season, he gave them big roles and they didn't miss a beat and have improved their games.

I'll guess we'll see.

G-Mo77
30-03-2012, 04:21 PM
According to the HUN the interchange is:

L.Dahlhaus, J.Grant, T.Liberatore, M.Wallis

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2012, 04:28 PM
According to the HUN the interchange is:

L.Dahlhaus, J.Grant, T.Liberatore, M.Wallis

I would be surprised if this is correct.

He needs to work extremely hard on his disposal and decision making before playing in the senior side.

Happy Days
30-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I was referring more in general than this specific game, but in the example you've provided I would be thrilled if Kennedy, Lynch, Darling, and Cox all played deep forward at the same time. They would have absolutely no space and every forward 50m entry would be to a contest. Between Lake and Markovic we'd be able to bring the ball to ground more often than not, and we would decimate them on the rebound.

We may have to conceede the occasion contested mark, but the cost/benefit would be heavily weighted in our favour.

Personally I can't see that set up occuring.

Good point. Who do you like to play on Cox when he goes forward? I'd be really uncomfortable leaving that to Minson/Roughhead?

Also think Darling does more by the way of defensive pressure than he is given credit for, but Lynch and a possible lame duck Kennedy do make them top heavy.

Go_Dogs
30-03-2012, 08:49 PM
I would be surprised if this is correct.

He needs to work extremely hard on his disposal and decision making before playing in the senior side.

He does, but he probably will improve quicker playing at AFL pace as this is what he is struggling with a bit at the moment. FWIW I think his pre-season hasn't been too bad. A focus on shorter kicking will also help his game.

jeemak
31-03-2012, 12:03 AM
There's plenty of players in our 22 that haven't been good kicks before they've gotten a game, and a number of them haven't become better kicks as they've matured as footballers. What they have learned to do though is work within their limitations.

Wallis needs to establish what he is and isn't capable of, and help benefit the team through the areas where he excells. Until he gets a chance to figure it out he's going to frustrate, though I think he's talented enough to find a niche and contribute while he works on his deficiencies.

As an aside, having watched tonight's game I couldn't stop thinking that we desperately need more pace and better foot skills. Hawthorn seem to be getting both out of the players they've drafted, if we don't use this upcoming draft to load up on skillful and quick players and have a couple of them develop reasonably quickly we'll be left behind for a number of years.

boydogs
31-03-2012, 03:15 AM
No Griff makes it tough, Cooney needs to step up and help us run the ball through the middle and deliver forward. It will be interesting to see how the forward line functions, both in terms of scoring and defensive pressure - I think we have a pretty good mix. In defense, their talls will certainly stretch us.

We're a big chance to win this if Lake & Cooney can get back near their best.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-04-2012, 09:09 AM

I would like to see Smith go with Kerr, as a first gamer he will be pumped and would hit in hard and that in itself would push Kerr over the edge.

Picken has to go to Preddis as he is the most dangerous for mine and Picken would eat him up.

Addison as a lock down forward onto Hurn and this should just about shut down all the drive from the WC mids and allow our boys just to keep pumping it into our forward line.

mjp
01-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Picken has to go to Preddis as he is the most dangerous for mine and Picken would eat him up.

But Priddis is SO inside - how is Picken going to stop him? Stopping first hands players is nearly impossible - you can be 'with them' but when every possession they get is already 'hard earned', what value is tagging them?

Based on last year, I think Picken will most likely go to Shuey - bit inside, more outside who really gets on the end of possession chains for WC. Matt Rosa, Andrew Gaff and our perennial nemesis - Embley - also need to be watched. They are receiving/run and carry players and cannot be allowed to receive the ball in space.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-04-2012, 09:33 AM
But Priddis is SO inside - how is Picken going to stop him? Stopping first hands players is nearly impossible - you can be 'with them' but when every possession they get is already 'hard earned', what value is tagging them?

I would think getting in the right spot to block his run or getting a hand in to stop the flow, if we can stop him getting it out it allows Cross & Libba to dish it out to our runners.

Scraggers
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Based on last year, I think Picken will most likely go to Shuey - bit inside, more outside who really gets on the end of possession chains for WC. Matt Rosa, Andrew Gaff and our perennial nemesis - Embley - also need to be watched. They are receiving/run and carry players and cannot be allowed to receive the ball in space.

Agreed MJP ... Who do you see going to Rosa and Embley? If we can shut one (or both) of them down we will go a long way to winning round one.