PDA

View Full Version : Game Day 2012 - R1 Western Bulldogs vs WCE

BulldogBelle
30-03-2012, 01:31 PM
This is the discussion thread for our Sunday afternoon game against WCE at Etihad Stadium.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 3 points
BOG : Matthew Boyd
Adam Cooney to kick the first goal

bornadog
30-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Dogs by 8 points

BOG: Boyd

First Goal: Gia

LostDoggy
30-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Dogs by 15

BOG: Minno

First Goal: Minno

DragzLS1
30-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Dogs by 17 points

BOG: Boyd

First Goal: Minno

Doggy
30-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Dogs by 22

BOG: Cooney

First Goal: Cooney

SlimPickens
30-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Eagles by 12

BOG Boyd

First goal: Dickson

Greystache
30-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Eagles by 20 points

BOG- Murphy

First Goal- Dickson

Maddog37
30-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Dogs by 34.

Bog Lake

First goal Gia.

AndrewP6
30-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Eagles by 23
BOG Boyd
First goal Roald Dahlhaus

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2012, 11:51 PM
E-Girls by 32 points.

BOG Boyd.

First goal Gia.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Dogs by a kick in a Thriller!
First goal - Josh Hill!
BOG - Bob Smurphy

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Wet Toast by 7 goals

BOG for the Dogs - Boyd

first goal for Dogs - Gia

bornadog
31-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Dogs by a kick in a Thriller!
First goal - Josh Hill!
BOG - Bob Smurphy

Hill doesn't play for us any more?

The idea of the thread is who will kick the first for us.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Hill doesn't play for us any more?

The idea of the thread is who will kick the first for us.

It was a joke. Sorry you couldn't spot it. I'll use the emoticons next time to help you.
wouldn't it be Dog's luck that Hill turns into a permanent player for the Weasles, after many attempts to get him going at our club.

bornadog
31-03-2012, 01:05 AM
PPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Was a joke. Don't be so uppity.

How would I know its a joke:confused: and why is that uppity

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 12:45 PM
West Coast by 12 points
Bog - Boyd
First Goal - Dickson.

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Im just gunna add another addition to the infamous gameday thread.. feel free to join in..or not.

Dogs by 9pts
BOG - Shagggy
First Goal - Gia
Sub - Dickson

Daughter of the West
31-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Weagles by 24
BOG - a Weagle
BOG for us - Boyd
First goal - Minson

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Dogs by 43
First Goal. Clay Smith
BOG Libba

Eastdog
31-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Doggies to win but very close
BOG: Matthew Boyd
First Goal: Liam Jones

Dazza
31-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Tipping the eagles by 4 goals.

BOG for us - Boyd

First goal - Grant

Max469
31-03-2012, 09:55 PM
West Coast by 15 points

Bog - Murphy

First Goal - GIA.

ratsmac
01-04-2012, 12:11 AM
West Coast by 5 goals

BOG - Murphy

First goal - Higgins

Bumper Bulldogs
01-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Dogs by 23 points
BOG - Boyd
First Goal - Gia

NoName
01-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Bulldogs by 16 points

BOG - Cooney

First Goal - Roughie

The Underdog
01-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Eagles by 28 points.

Dogs BOG - Boyd
First goal - Gia

mjp
01-04-2012, 02:24 PM
West Coast showing zero respect to us around the contest. If we can control Kennedy (please, please, move Lake on to him) and keep the ball inside the game a bit more - we will win this.

Kennedy kicks another from a stupid free-kick against Markovic as I type.

mjp
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
West Coast are so arrogant around clearances. Dogs hit the front on the back of West Coast simply refusing to get their hands dirty. This could still go awry if our focus slips, but West Coast have gotten goals based on individual brilliance (Kennedy, Natanui) and (stupid) free kicks...ours are coming because of team play.

SlimPickens
01-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Would be nice to at least break even in a ruck contest

GVGjr
01-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm getting Michael Ford vs Peter Sumich flashbacks with Markovic on Kennedy. Markovic hasn't had a lot of luck but it's not a good match up for him.

Go_Dogs
West Coast showing zero respect to us around the contest. If we can control Kennedy (please, please, move Lake on to him) and keep the ball inside the game a bit more - we will win this.

Kennedy kicks another from a stupid free-kick against Markovic as I type.

Agree.

Overall we aren't looking too bad, need to stay with them this quarter.

mjp
Would be nice to at least break even in a ruck contest

Around the ground we have been OK. Can't do much about Natanui in the centre bounces...well, unless you throw Zephi in there!

mjp
01-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Great follow-up by Wallis. Won the clearance, pushed to remain involved...West Coast mids still sitting in the centre...goal to Smith.

Great stuff.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Clay Smith having a blinder

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Lake hands Hill a goal. Stupid

mjp
01-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm getting Michael Ford vs Peter Sumich flashbacks with Markovic on Kennedy. Markovic hasn't had a lot of luck but it's not a good match up for him.

Anyone who watched this match-up last year would have said that a repeat of this was a BAD idea - if for no other reason than a player who should be underdone (Kennedy) would immediately grow in confidence when matched up against a player/team he kicked 10 against less than 12-months ago.

GVGjr
01-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Free kicks in front of goal has hurt us. We are doing a lot of things right but we need to be a bit smarter.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I feel for Markovic, its obviously not the kind of match up we'd prefer, but surely we need to try somethi.g different. Maybe Lake onto Kennedy?
I fear if we don't do something different then Kennedy is going to kick the Eagles to a win off his own boot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Free kicks in front of goal has hurt us. We are doing a lot of things right but we need to be a bit smarter.

Definitely need to find the right balance in aggression and technique.

AndrewP6
01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Markovic on Kennedy is a record waiting to be broken. Ffs McCartney, move him. Dickson had a real crack early, Dahlhaus has great energy. Smith BOG for mine.

mjp
01-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Lot's of high tackles today - all over the ground.

bornadog
01-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Pickens not giving Kerr a look in

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Christian Howard needs to involve himself. Has he touched it yet? Wallis has done some good things but his also thrown the ball on the boot several times and turned it over.

Boyd's disposal hasn't been great, Murphy's has been shaky too, not like him.

Smith is great, having a real crack. Libba is turning into one of our best players very quickly.

Pickens giving Kerr a bath!

MrMahatma
01-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Have had our chances up forward but just not clinical up forward.

mjp
01-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Jones misses two sitters, Schofield kicks one from outside 50m for them...not the way to win a game.

chef
01-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Paul Gow maybe?

the banker
01-04-2012, 04:03 PM
It's extremely frustrating to see Liam Jones give three golden simple opportunities that would have given the momentum in this game to us. Eagles take their opportunity and the game is poised for a blow out unless great courage is shown. We have to make and take ALL opportunities.

Dickson misses!

mjp
01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
...and Addison is STILL on Hill. He is simply too good overhead for Dylan and has two goals from marks he NEVER should have been allowed to take.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Could be a long year but game time into the kids will be important

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
34 points down now , just need to keep grinding away in the middle and stop them hitting targets at the 40 to 50m line , I really don,t believe we need a loose man in defense , if we use a loose man we need him at the centre bounce to shark clearances

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Annoying.

MrMahatma
01-04-2012, 04:25 PM
We're just unbalanced. Defence is missing Morris & Williams. Midfield has been OK. Our FWD line is very raw.

It'll be a tough season - but in reality we're no worse than I thought we'd be.

Not sure why Marko was kept on Kennedy. Is Lake being nursed along?

Dry Rot
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
ABC radio guys not impressed with Jones. Ditto Boyd's disposal.

If we'd taken our chances, this game could have been quite different.

Dry Rot
01-04-2012, 04:27 PM
What's our forward structure been? Seems from the radio call that Jones is the only tall option, and well covered by WCE.

Dry Rot
01-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Howard ankle?

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Some rough decisions

mjp
01-04-2012, 04:34 PM
if we use a loose man we need him at the centre bounce to shark clearances.

Huh? Where would he start in order to do this? On the wing and burst in? May as well start behind the ball...

I dont understand what you mean.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I hope the Howitzer ok and there is no serious damage ( possible medial ligament damage ) , its great to Bwian back on the park but he has been quiet just 9 disposals and only 3 marks , really pleased with young Clay Smith did,nt really expect him to run the game right out

50 odd points down now but we did well for 2 and 1/2 quarters

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Grant is very frustrating

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Huh? Where would he start in order to do this? On the wing and burst in? May as well start behind the ball...

I dont understand what you mean.

Probably Higgins or Gia

mjp
01-04-2012, 04:38 PM
What's our forward structure been? Seems from the radio call that Jones is the only tall option, and well covered by WCE.

The structure has been no worse than West Coast's to be honest. Jones has been very effective but simply hasn't kicked straight. Gia and Dalhaus have been pretty good and Dickson OK. The difference up the other end has been that Kennedy has kicked straight and Darling has provided a real end-to-end target as a strong marking half forward.

In the second half we rolled a player (Higgins initially, then Dickson) behind the ball which seemed to work for about 10 minutes or so as we dominated the game and Higgins ran riot...but Jones kept missing and we didn't take advantage. As the game has gone on, the value of the loose player has become less and less.

Dry Rot
01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
The structure has been no worse than West Coast's to be honest. Jones has been very effective but simply hasn't kicked straight. Gia and Dalhaus have been pretty good and Dickson OK. The difference up the other end has been that Kennedy has kicked straight and Darling has provided a real end-to-end target as a strong marking half forward.

In the second half we rolled a player (Higgins initially, then Dickson) behind the ball which seemed to work for about 10 minutes or so as we dominated the game and Higgins ran riot...but Jones kept missing and we didn't take advantage. As the game has gone on, the value of the loose player has become less and less.

Thanks. Agree inaccuracy has cost us at key times.

Are we playing a second tall forward?

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Hargraves kicking awful

GVGjr
01-04-2012, 04:53 PM
We did some good things today and some of the linking up on play was very exciting but we gave away too man free kicks and were just undermanned in the back half. Plenty to work with but a few problems to fix as well.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 04:53 PM
The tackle count was just too low , only 52 , if your going to pressure the good sides for 4 quarters we should be making 70 or more

mjp
01-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Probably Higgins or Gia

This makes even less sense. You said that you want the loose man to shark centre bounces...where do you want his starting point to be?

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Was happy with how the team looked overall. Grant as a sub is never going to work. He looked half asleep out there. Just not awake and should have had a couple more goals. If Liam had kicked those easy ones, Grant a few more, Brian not gifted them with one - we would have been just 10 points or so behind instead of 50 or so.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 05:09 PM
This makes even less sense. You said that you want the loose man to shark centre bounces...where do you want his starting point to be?

Its a moot point now but we needed a loose player to shark clearances , its not an ideal scenario dragging Higgins or Gia down from the HF line as Scott Selwood or Will Schofield could still push back to cover , both those players were dangerous , as I said its all academic now no real point thrashing out the minute details of who starts from where to cover X and Y scenarios

Libba had another solid game , Big Will competed hard , Picken just kept on truckin

I think Macca will be more than happy viewing the first 2 1/2 quarters but he won,t be happy we faded badly

mjp
01-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Its a moot point now but we needed a loose player to shark clearances , its not an ideal scenario dragging Higgins or Gia down from the HF line as Scott Selwood or Will Schofield could still push back to cover , both those players were dangerous , as I said its all academic now no real point thrashing out the minute details of who starts from where to cover X and Y scenarios

I just want to understand your point. You want to have a loose player INSIDE the centre square? It is 4 on 4 in there...so no-one is ever going to be loose are they?

I thought you wanted to use the loose man who Macca dropped behind the ball to impact on the centre bounce and was trying to work out how you would do that? As an aside, that plan worked beautifully for 10 minutes in the 3rd quarter...but Jones couldn't kick straight and the flood gates opened.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Just to dodge the sarcasm west dog. The rules state only the followers (3 players) and the centre (1 player) are allowed in the centre square for the bounce at the start of quarters and after a goal. That is 4 players per side. Anymore and a free kick will be awarded to the other side. So it is illegal to have a loose man for centre bounces.

bornadog
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Just to dodge the sarcasm west dog. The rules state only the followers (3 players) and the centre (1 player) are allowed in the centre square for the bounce at the start of quarters and after a goal. That is 4 players per side. Anymore and a free kick will be awarded to the other side. So it is illegal to have a loose man for centre bounces.

Not just illegal, impossible.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Just on the point of what is illegal and what isn't ; how many cheap frees did we gift them for stuff players should just know?
round the neck, Jumping on players early. Was so frustrating

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Not just illegal, impossible.

It is not impossible.
You can walk into the square at any centre bounce. You'll just give away a free kick if you do. Now a days you have all 4 corners of the square monitored with the two spare field umpires and two by the boundary umpires.

SonofScray
01-04-2012, 06:09 PM
On the whole, I didn't walk away thinking that was a complete disaster. I'm disappointed and frustrated at the idea of seeing similar performances against lesser opposition.

Minson and Roughie were well beaten but didn't play terrible games. Roughie might not be the best option, he didn't get a lot of it really, what he did get of it was just OK. Minson was involved more often and looked good at times. They had a very tough ask today and battled manfully, for little reward.

Smith lit the place up in close when the ball was in our forward line. Really enjoyed that aspect of the game. Everyone loves a goal kicker. Same sort of excitement around the ball that Dalhaus generates, just less so with speed and more so with grit.

Marko was well beaten, he has very obvious deficits in his game which Kennedy will take advantage of every time they line up on each other. He will be a bug bear for us over a few years. Again, tried hard but was just well beaten by a better footballer.

I thought we showed some promise with our spread, run and carry. What I missed was the dour, tough work in close that we saw all preseason. We to a few patches of it, but not a sustained effort. I couldn't see us offering up a contest like what Freo and Geelong gave us at this stage.

There is a lot of work to do. I certainly hope we can build up and get a stronger effort over 4 quarters in future outings.

bornadog
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
On the whole, I didn't walk away thinking that was a complete disaster. I'm disappointed and frustrated at the idea of seeing similar performances against lesser opposition.

Minson and Roughie were well beaten but didn't play terrible games. Roughie might not be the best option, he didn't get a lot of it really, what he did get of it was just OK. Minson was involved more often and looked good at times. They had a very tough ask today and battled manfully, for little reward.

Smith lit the place up in close when the ball was in our forward line. Really enjoyed that aspect of the game. Everyone loves a goal kicker. Same sort of excitement around the ball that Dalhaus generates, just less so with speed and more so with grit.

Marko was well beaten, he has very obvious deficits in his game which Kennedy will take advantage of every time they line up on each other. He will be a bug bear for us over a few years. Again, tried hard but was just well beaten by a better footballer.

I thought we showed some promise with our spread, run and carry. What I missed was the dour, tough work in close that we saw all preseason. We to a few patches of it, but not a sustained effort. I couldn't see us offering up a contest like what Freo and Geelong gave us at this stage.

There is a lot of work to do. I certainly hope we can build up and get a stronger effort over 4 quarters in future outings.

I came away feeling the same as you. We gave away 5 free kicks in front of goal and with Kennedy's goals that was the ball game.

The positives are Lake, Cooney and Hargrave coming through the game ok and having a run especially since they have missed so much Footy over the year. They will only get better.

Good to see second year players in Libba, Dahlhaus and Wallis picking up lots of possessions and great to see Smithy, an 18 year old debut with 4 goals.

Also good to See Higgins get a bit of the ball and was very creative when he had it.

Disappointments for me were:

Wood - his skill level was really down and doesn't find enough of the ball.

Howard - Needs to also get more of it. (looks like he hobbled off with an injury, so hope he is ok.)

Addison, while he tries hard and gives his all, is he up to AFL level?

Markovic was always going to struggle against Kennedy. There aren't to many at AFL level that can match him, so what hope did Marko have? Really Lake should have been on Kennedy.

The usual suspects had lots of the ball in Cross, Boyd, Gia but weren't damaging enough.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I thought Howard was OK, although I wish he would stop chipping 15m passes. He's got a good boot -- use it. He did put in some nice long passes though, and he competed well from what I saw. I can't comment from a defensive standpoint though.

Markovic was slaughtered. I wonder if we'd be better off playing a kid (eg. Panos) in the same role, as obviously Markovic isn't going to get better at this stage. He's a bit of a 'filler' for the next few years, but it's kind of pointless.

Wood was extremely disappointing -- arguably W.O.G or close to.

Boyd was ordinary despite the high disposal count.

I have grave concerns for Cross.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I thought Howard was OK, although I wish he would stop chipping 15m passes. He's got a good boot -- use it. He did put in some nice long passes though, and he competed well from what I saw. I can't comment from a defensive standpoint though.

Markovic was slaughtered. I wonder if we'd be better off playing a kid (eg. Panos) in the same role, as obviously Markovic isn't going to get better at this stage. He's a bit of a 'filler' for the next few years, but it's kind of pointless.

Wood was extremely disappointing -- arguably W.O.G or close to.

Boyd was ordinary despite the high disposal count.

I have grave concerns for Cross.

Markovic was never going to match up against Kennedy. However, I dont think we had any other choice .... who else was going to take him on. Brian would be too slow and Kennedy would take off up the ground and when Markovic was on him he would play deep and get the big grab.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Markovic was never going to match up against Kennedy. However, I dont think we had any other choice .... who else was going to take him on. Brian would be too slow and Kennedy would take off up the ground and when Markovic was on him he would play deep and get the big grab.

If Kennedy wanted to lead up to the wings, then let him.

When he's in the 50, Lake should have taken him. Similiar to how Lake used to play Franklin at times.

In any case, whilst Marko's effort is good, I'd almost rather sacrifice another couple of goals per game to develop a young KPD because Markovic isn't the answer now, and he certainly isn't the answer in 2-5 years time.

mjp
01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Disappointments for me were:

Wood - his skill level was really down and doesn't find enough of the ball.
But Wood NEVER gets the ball. His strength is as a 1-on-1 defender. We all look to him for some run and carry because of his athletic ability, but it really is a once or twice a game thing. It is just not in his nature.

Howard - Needs to also get more of it. (looks like he hobbled off with an injury, so hope he is ok.)
Same as Wood. Just doesn't get the ball. 20 touches would be a good day.

Addison, while he tries hard and gives his all, is he up to AFL level?
We have been playing this tune for years. Hill was a particularly bad match-up though because of his ability overhead.

Markovic was always going to struggle against Kennedy. There aren't to many at AFL level that can match him, so what hope did Marko have? Really Lake should have been on Kennedy.
After quarter-time Markovic was fine. If Lake had taken him early there might have been some different stories...ball was coming in pretty quick. I still think Lake brings that first one to ground though.

The usual suspects had lots of the ball in Cross, Boyd, Gia but weren't damaging enough.

Yep...but with no Griffen, Cooney isn't Cooney any more and guys like Sherman still playing VFL (if they are even up to it) who are they going to give the ball too?

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 08:24 PM
But Wood NEVER gets the ball. His strength is as a 1-on-1 defender. We all look to him for some run and carry because of his athletic ability, but it really is a once or twice a game thing. It is just not in his nature.

you can say this after 1 game in that role?

G-Mo77
01-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Was Marko ever moved from Kennedy?

bornadog
01-04-2012, 08:32 PM

True, therefore we need to find him a new role, the backline is not working.

I was critical of Wood last year and was shot down because he is a WOOF darling ie he is not to be criticized because posters see him do a dash down the ground, once or twice and perceive him to be a good backman. he has potential but I don't believe he is there yet.

On the other hand to be fair to him, at 185cm, why the hell do we try and play him tall and he gets slaughtered every time.

bornadog
01-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Was Marko ever moved from Kennedy?

The last 10 min of the game, Lake went on to Kennedy and he kicked another goal:o

bornadog
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Thats the role he has been playing since his debut.

G-Mo77
01-04-2012, 08:36 PM
The last 10 min of the game, Lake went on to Kennedy and he kicked another goal:o

I'm not hanging it on Marko I thought he did pretty well after the first quarter. We were completely out matched in the back half. They're monsters!

bornadog
01-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm not hanging it on Marko I thought he did pretty well after the first quarter. We were completely out matched in the back half. They're monsters!

I think West Coast will be top four this year.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 08:42 PM

As for a self-assessment, McCartney said, "I'll go home tonight (and) there's probably one or two things on reflection we may have been able to do a bit earlier," he said.

One was moving Lukas Markovic off Kennedy. But McCartney backed his defender.

"I like the way Lukas Markovic goes about his football.

"Yeah, he got beaten a couple of times, and there were a few times (where) it wouldn’t have mattered who we had on (Kennedy). But there's also some times where his efforts were pretty good.

"I can remember some young defenders a long time ago that I worked closely with that got beaten early in their careers and became better players off the back of it, and I think he'll be one of those."

DragzLS1
01-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Markovic is a good defender but simply got smashed in the first half which saw his confidence drop, then got a free paid against him that shouldn't have been (arguably two) although done better through out the game. I think we will all find that he will do a great job against the lesser oppositions, but need somebody else to step up against the top 4 sides which I hope will be Williams, 1 day :(
Either way let's see what's in store over the coming 4 weeks. Clay smith done well! Where is tutt at with his hamstring? Think he will be important for us

mjp
02-04-2012, 12:51 PM

One game in WHAT role?

He spent half of it at half back where he doesn't get the ball..basically, he is not a high possession player and he never will be.

Wood is fine, just fine. But if we are looking for him to become a dynamic midfield type then we are looking for the wrong thing. It isn't him.

bornadog
02-04-2012, 01:04 PM
One game in WHAT role?

He spent half of it at half back where he doesn't get the ball..basically, he is not a high possession player and he never will be.

Wood is fine, just fine. But if we are looking for him to become a dynamic midfield type then we are looking for the wrong thing. It isn't him.

If we play him in the backline, he really needs to be matched up on someone his own size. I have not seen him shut out one player taller than him. We know Shaggy shouldn't be playing tall, and as I said, at 185cm, either should Wood.

firstdogonthemoon
02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I found the whole experience extremely disappointing.