PDA

View Full Version : Cooney - Gone?

Rance Fan
01-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Ive not heard much on what people thought of Cooneys game today and into the future?

I didnt notice him much, certainly not what he once was. Fairly ineffectual!

Is it too early to right him off after round 1?

Is it worth continuing with him if he isn't ever going to be 100%?

Should we just give opportunities to others? Or wait till half way thru the year, when the season in done and dusted?

Can or will he make it back to him best??

I hope so.....

GVGjr
01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
He probably can't get back to Brownlow best form but he can still be a good player. I thought he was OK today

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 08:30 PM
We've known for a while that he would never be the same again. He is far from our worse.

AndrewP6
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
He didn't star, but wasn't that bad today.

bornadog
01-04-2012, 08:36 PM
He had 19 touches today and did some very good things. Even though he is seen as an outside player, in fact he gets his own ball a lot of the time and gets a quick handpass out. He set up a few goals and kicked two himself.

AndrewP6
01-04-2012, 08:51 PM
He had 19 touches today and did some very good things. Even though he is seen as an outside player, in fact he gets his own ball a lot of the time and gets a quick handpass out. He set up a few goals and kicked two himself.

Good post, I honestly forgot he slotted two today.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Good post, I honestly forgot he slotted two today.

His tackles are ferocious. He wraps players up. Alot of other had butter fingers today.

Desipura
01-04-2012, 08:58 PM
His tackles are ferocious. He wraps players up. Alot of other had butter fingers today.

Way too many head high tackles today, this needs to be addressed during the week.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Way too many head high tackles today, this needs to be addressed during the week.

Wasn't the only one! Picken had a nice collection. Roughead. But also, the Eagles had quite a few. I guess it was just one of those days.

MrMahatma
01-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Such a shame.

Was it mis-management (continuing to play with a cracked kneecap) that has made his knee so bad? Or just bad luck?

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Didn't someone say that McCloud's injury was far worse and he was able to play on?

anfo27
01-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Cooney is a big worry for me. He was ok today but he has had plenty of time to get himself right for round 1. The worry is how well he will be able back up week after week with that knee. He is also the highest paid player at the club and you can write your own ticket with odds of him giving us value for money on that contract. Im not sure what we can do about it though. when does he come out of contract?

the banker
01-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Thought he moved ok and kicking looked better than at times last year. Still believe we will see some exciting footy from him.

Mantis
01-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Who sees him as an outside player?

DragzLS1
01-04-2012, 10:04 PM
He done ok and there will be games where he shows his best again, but we can't expect that from him especially not week in week out.. Minson and cooney are a good combo I think and Griffen back in the side seems to lift coneys game as they complement eachother. Here's hoping that griff is fine for next week

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Cooney is a big worry for me. He was ok today but he has had plenty of time to get himself right for round 1. The worry is how well he will be able back up week after week with that knee. He is also the highest paid player at the club and you can write your own ticket with odds of him giving us value for money on that contract. Im not sure what we can do about it though. when does he come out of contract?

Relax jeepers creepers I think he has enough credits in the bank. Let him warm up he is our best player after all.

anfo27
01-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Relax jeepers creepers I think he has enough credits in the bank. Let him warm up he is our best player after all.

was our best player 2 seasons ago. you're talking like its just a form issue, if it was i could relax. I think its a problem when your highest paid player is not having an impact in enough games because of his body & he is only in his mid 20s.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 10:52 PM
was our best player 2 seasons ago. you're talking like its just a form issue, if it was i could relax. I think its a problem when your highest paid player is not having an impact in enough games because of his body & he is only in his mid 20s.

Order will be restored very soon :) It's only Round 1, give it till half way before we get jumpy.

kruder
01-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Well he is gone in to the degree that he will never be an elite player again unfortunatley

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 11:52 PM
I thought Adam did quite a few really good things today. I agree with Ghost Dog about Adam's tackles they usually stick. Many others today were not even near enough to their direct opponent to even lay a finger on them. Thankfully we only had today's game against West Coast this year!!!

jeemak
02-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm prepared to give him some time.

19 touches and two goals for our only midfielder that was worth marking by the opposition for the whole day.......

When Griffen comes back in to the team he'll have a bit more freedom. He's not done and dusted just now, it's only round one and we're a pretty ordinary team trying to make sense of a competition that is changing all the time with teams that have taken a step ahead of us for now.

Cooney isn't likely to get 35 touches a week, but he's always going to affect the game when he gets the ball.

chef
02-04-2012, 08:27 AM

Was not is.

Did he spend much time at FF?

DragzLS1
02-04-2012, 12:49 PM
People forget that Cooney usually get tagged in a game and being a little under done and no Griffen to take some pressure off he still managed 19 touches and kicks goals for us so think he did good considering.

Give him until GWS game and you will see him back at full flight (not at his elite level though) just in time for the collingwood game :)

Ozza
02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Happy for Cooney to spend most time up forward with stints in the midfield. Thought he went ok yesterday, most of what he did was pretty good.

MrMahatma
03-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Didn't someone say that McCloud's injury was far worse and he was able to play on?
Move coon to hbf? Keep him running in straight lines?

Ghost Dog
03-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Move coon to hbf? Keep him running in straight lines?

Yeah someone else made the comment on here once and I wonder if it's true.

stefoid
03-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Im not sure the injury to his knee affects his agility so much as his explosive power and ability to extend his knee properly. So the good news is it only affects his ability to run fast and kick :(

Cyberdoggie
03-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Cooney was ok and tackled well but there was none of that explosive run that we know he's famous for.

I hope it's still there somewhere.

Remi Moses
03-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Probably never going to be as good as 08,but I'd be inclined to give him and Lake time.

LostDoggy
03-04-2012, 07:49 PM
People forget that Cooney usually get tagged in a game and being a little under done and no Griffen to take some pressure off he still managed 19 touches and kicks goals for us so think he did good considering.

Give him until GWS game and you will see him back at full flight (not at his elite level though) just in time for the collingwood game :)

Thats one of the problems that has been discussed with Cooney's kneecap , if he is tagged and unable to find space and is tackled heavily several times particularly in a sling type tackle where he is swung or pivoted to the ground then in order to manage his game time he would have to be moved to another position , you most likely will see his role change week to week based on the playing surface , his impact on season 2012 will be based on managed output to try to keep a balanced loading on Adam and his kneecap , it will never be right and he may only have another 3 seasons as it degenerates

ledge
04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Cooney was ok and tackled well but there was none of that explosive run that we know he's famous for.
I hope it's still there somewhere.

I beg to differ I saw a couple of his explosive runs, one straight out of the centre.

SlimPickens
04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I beg to differ I saw a couple of his explosive runs, one straight out of the centre.

Must admit when i saw him break away from the boundary throw in on the half forward flank and kick a goal from fifty....i thought "He's Back"!

Maddog37
04-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Must admit when i saw him break away from the boundary throw in on the half forward flank and kick a goal from fifty....i thought "He's Back"!

That was the highlight for me as it showed what class footballers can do over and above the "get in" mantra.

mighty_west
04-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Cooney gone? where has he gone to?

Didn't mind his game on the weekend, considering where he's come from in the past year or so, a classic Cooney running goal from 50, got his hands on the ball, like others have stated will be better off along side Griffen.

Obvious to me that it will take him time, players can't just flick a switch and be "great" especially after a long lay off.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Is he going to win another Brownlow? No.

Can he still be a dangerous player? Yes.

His game was solid on the weekend. Some nice explosive runs, a good goal and some terrific defensive efforts.

What Cooney needs is a better side around him -- it'll help when a few hard runners return such as Griffen, Sherman and Tutt.

1eyedog
04-04-2012, 05:28 PM

Me too. The running shot for goal was very explosive. His first 5 metres looks the same to me?

DragzLS1
04-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Me too. The running shot for goal was very explosive. His first 5 metres looks the same to me?

Totally! But hope he can do that consistantly through out teh year and maybe a few more times in a game as he gets fitter and as long as the knee holds up

anfo27
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM

He moved well on the weekend but that was week one of long season so i expected him to look good. Its whether he can do that in a month or 2 months time with his knee is getting worse and his movement is hampered. There were times last year when he played and he was obviously sore & he was a liability out there. I really don't want to see a player of his ilk going through a game like that again.

Mofra
05-04-2012, 10:55 AM
There were times last year when he played and he was obviously sore & he was a liability out there.
It will come down to managing him correctly, and resting where appropriate.
Geelong managed their players well last year with the majority getting breaks.

bornadog
06-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Didn't look right on Friday night, hardly touched the ball in the first half? Maybe time for a rest, either this week or maybe when we play in Darwin.

LostDoggy
06-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Cooney of 3 years back, we would have won the game.

Rocco Jones
06-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Didn't look right on Friday night, hardly touched the ball in the first half? Maybe time for a rest, either this week or maybe when we play in Darwin.

I thought he was alright on Friday night but Cooney isn't just an alright player.

What to do? He seems like he is gave getting his body and limitations now so we will have more consistency from him but how do we maximise the brilliance?

I wanted him rested last week as I was worried about consecutive 6 day breaks. GC in Darwin is going to be in the middle of another block of consecutive 6 day breaks (gots to love our fixture).

Dog54
07-05-2012, 06:24 AM
An option is to play him every 4th game as the sub. When the game pace comes off a tad he can add real value and at the same time it manages his knee.

azabob
07-05-2012, 07:30 AM
An option is to play him every 4th game as the sub. When the game pace comes off a tad he can add real value and at the same time it manages his knee.

Not a bad idea if his knee can cope.

always right
07-05-2012, 09:01 AM

I can accept that he is now a "good" player rather than a "great" player. I can't accept that we consider managing a player by only selecting him every four weeks and then only as a sub. Makes no sense.

Greystache
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I can accept that he is now a "good" player rather than a "great" player. I can't accept that we consider managing a player by only selecting him every four weeks and then only as a sub. Makes no sense.

Do you want to have another go at that one???

Dog54 is suggesting he plays every game, with one in four as the sub.

LostDoggy
07-05-2012, 12:50 PM
The only problem with using Cooney as the Sub every 4 games is that using him as the Sub is not really a rest , right from the opening bounce the Sub has to stretch and keep warm in case of an injured player being Subbed off , on Friday against the Pies Adam had 86% game time and did look a little sore at the end , the best policy would probably be when he is due for a rest give Adam a rest and the next week use him as the Sub

always right
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Do you want to have another go at that one???

Dog54 is suggesting he plays every game, with one in four as the sub.

My misunderstanding.

stefoid
09-05-2012, 10:08 AM
The only problem with using Cooney as the Sub every 4 games is that using him as the Sub is not really a rest , right from the opening bounce the Sub has to stretch and keep warm in case of an injured player being Subbed off , on Friday against the Pies Adam had 86% game time and did look a little sore at the end , the best policy would probably be when he is due for a rest give Adam a rest and the next week use him as the Sub

Its not a bad idea though, playing him as the sub more often will ease his workload, yet keep him in touch, and he can play anywhere.

MrMahatma
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Or just rest him completely when required?

1eyedog
15-05-2012, 11:49 AM
The knee appears shot, he would have to be close to retiring IMO. Obviously I don't know how bad his knee really is but surely you're going to want to be able to walk post-footy.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
15-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I was told by a connection to the surgeon that did his clean up this preseason that he had 2 years max left including this year. Unfortunately looks likely

LostDoggy
15-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Are we going to go through this everytime he has a rest?

Second hand word from a surgeon......ok then.

Close this thread its meaningless.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-05-2012, 07:29 PM
A lot of surgeons talk BS, I have experienced this first hand (and one of them regularly operates on the AFL players), but regardless -- I said a while ago that I thought Cooney would only have another 2 years left.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
15-05-2012, 08:44 PM
That's constructive. Maybe have a crack at how someone spells or structures a sentence. That's a popular pastime here. Like how we love to take potshots at each other without adding anything of value or simply playing the man.

LostDoggy
15-05-2012, 08:51 PM
I was told by a connection to the surgeon that did his clean up this preseason that he had 2 years max left including this year. Unfortunately looks likely

Highly unlikely that a surgeon would discuss confidential patient information with anyone other than the patient themselves.

This is very likely to be rumour only.

EasternWest
15-05-2012, 09:16 PM
That's constructive. Maybe have a crack at how someone spells or structures a sentence. That's a popular pastime here.

Hmm out of all the criticisms that might be leveled at this forum, I'm not sure that's entirely correct. It goes on a bit, but nothing like other Internet forums.

LostDoggy
15-05-2012, 09:48 PM
That's constructive. Maybe have a crack at how someone spells or structures a sentence. That's a popular pastime here. Like how we love to take potshots at each other without adding anything of value or simply playing the man.

Not having a crack at you personally im just getting tired of the knocks the bloke gets. Hese Playing good footy and nobody knows how his knees are but himself not his Surgeon nor you or I. We can speculate all we want but we wont know for now at least.

Sometimes it feels if he has a bad game or needs a rest people jump on the 'hese finished bandwagon' it must be shocking pressure for himself. He cant change the money hese on the contracts are signed we must deal with it. I just reckon leave the man be and lets see what happens you never know what the future holds. :)

1eyedog
15-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Not having a crack at you personally im just getting tired of the knocks the bloke gets. Hese Playing good footy and nobody knows how his knees are but himself not his Surgeon nor you or I. We can speculate all we want but we wont know for now at least.

Sometimes it feels if he has a bad game or needs a rest people jump on the 'hese finished bandwagon' it must be shocking pressure for himself. He cant change the money hese on the contracts are signed we must deal with it. I just reckon leave the man be and lets see what happens you never know what the future holds. :)

Fair enough, but he was hobbling around and limping during the warm up of the GWS game. I know he has an unusual gait, but it didn't look good.

Eastdog
15-05-2012, 09:52 PM

Good post rooner17. He has been playing footy. He is doing the best he can and that's all you can ask of him.

LostDoggy
15-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Fair enough, but he was hobbling around and limping during the warm up of the GWS game. I know he has an unusual gait, but it didn't look good.

Yea fair enough, plus playing on a Carpark most weeks is a killer for him and all the boys.

Two weeks rest and hit the Cats hard!

Hotdog60
15-05-2012, 11:26 PM

I'll take a pot at you. Maybe one typo but 3....;)

Raw Toast
16-05-2012, 08:45 PM
I think reports of his complete demise are pretty premature and wouldn't mind him being played as a semi-permanent full-forward at the moment...

But after reading this piece on Koby Bryant appearing magically better after going to Germany, I'm also ready to start the collection to pay for Adam's flight and treatment ;) http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7796225/kobe-bryant-dr-chris-renna-regenokine-knee-treatment

Desipura
16-05-2012, 09:16 PM
I think reports of his complete demise are pretty premature and wouldn't mind him being played as a semi-permanent full-forward at the moment...

But after reading this piece on Koby Bryant appearing magically better after going to Germany, I'm also ready to start the collection to pay for Adam's flight and treatment ;) http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7796225/kobe-bryant-dr-chris-renna-regenokine-knee-treatment

This should be forwarded to the club. You would think they are exploring all options regarding Adam's knee.

Rance Fan
23-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Is it time???

Why flog a dead horse?...He's just not what he once was! A long way from it
Put him out to stud!

Oh n go Black Caviar!!

chef
23-06-2012, 07:28 PM
He looks shot. There must be a fare chance he'd want to pull the pin at the end of the season.

Sedat
23-06-2012, 07:35 PM
The sad thing was he looked like our most dangerous forward marking target today. Unfortunately he also had the athleticism and leg speed of a large sea vessel today.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-06-2012, 07:47 PM
I was shot down by GD when I suggested that Cooney offers nothing -- or at least very, very, very little.

Proof is in the pudding.

Adam's days as even a solid footballer are over.

SonofScray
23-06-2012, 08:15 PM
He looked shot today. Other times he hasn't. It is an absolute tragedy for him as a quality person and for our Club the situation he is in, I can't help but think it'd be best for us if he pulled the pin at the end of the year. I don't think he will because of that will to perform which he has, but it looks like his body just isn't up to it.

Can he make it playing the Gia forward role? He looked ok when the ball went to him, but they did run it off him easily. Which isn't much different to either Gia or Higgins in reality.

Remi Moses
23-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Very sad to see Cooney not even a shadow of his former self.
Might be in his own interest to pull the pin at years end.

BulldogBelle
23-06-2012, 08:27 PM
This should be forwarded to the club. You would think they are exploring all options regarding Adam's knee.

Anything is worth trying

For memory Cooney had a cracked kneecap....is the issue that that wont ever heal 100%?

Although surely the club and its medical staff would have explored every avenue with respect to Cooney's knee - possibly Cooney himself and the medical staff wanted to initially take a conservative approach or felt that surgery of this type wouldn't have helped

Bumper Bulldogs
23-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Anything is worth trying

For memory Cooney had a cracked kneecap....is the issue that that wont ever heal 100%?

Although surely the club and its medical staff would have explored every avenue with respect to Cooney's knee - possibly Cooney himself and the medical staff wanted to initially take a conservative approach or felt that surgery of this type wouldn't have helped

Based on today they should send him off to get what they can done, if the verdict is that is as good as it gets he should retire as he needs to think of the future and the pin he will have after his last game.

What I cant get my head around is the fact 4 weeks ago he did have a short burst of speed but today after the by he had nothing to offer.

always right
23-06-2012, 08:37 PM
What I don't understand about Cooney is why every other part of his game has fallen away. I get the fact his knee condition means he has lost that explosiveness that made him special but he always had a lot more going for him than just his pace. We have plenty of players without pace who have an impact on the game. Why can't Cooney?

Eastdog
23-06-2012, 08:41 PM
I hope Morris does not go the same way as Cooney and doesn't have that impact that made him a quality defender.

AndrewP6
23-06-2012, 08:46 PM
What I don't understand about Cooney is why every other part of his game has fallen away. I get the fact his knee condition means he has lost that explosiveness that made him special but he always had a lot more going for him than just his pace. We have plenty of players without pace who have an impact on the game. Why can't Cooney?

Lack of confidence eats away at many parts of your game.

SonofScray
23-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Agree, that confidence in the body can play havoc with his overall ability. Getting frustrated would be using up a fair amount of resources as well I'd imagine.

Maddog37
23-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Seems to me he can sprint for a kick but not to chase.........lazy or already defeated mentally. Not sure which is worse.

always right
24-06-2012, 01:38 AM

If you are right then there is still hope for him.....confidence can be restored. Do you believe this?

Eastdog
24-06-2012, 01:47 AM
The obvious big worry for Cooney is his knees. I still think he has an important role in the side but not like it used to be like in 2008 when he won the Brownlow. I compare Cooney a little bit to Chris Grant. He got that knee injury round 1 2003 came back next year wasn't the same player but still played an important role from that point on.

AndrewP6
24-06-2012, 02:40 AM
If you are right then there is still hope for him.....confidence can be restored. Do you believe this?

Hard to say, if the knee is not going to get better. It has to be terribly frustrating having to manage the condition, wondering how it's going to pull up each week. If he gets a run (or even a mini-run) of weeks where it feels good, I think we'll see some good output.

SonofScray
24-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Danny Southern retired pretty early in response to similar issues.

Hotdog60
24-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Do we make Cooney a super sub. It maybe degrading to him but if he cannot produce for 4 quarters then maybe he can do it for one and a half to two.

We take the risk if we lose a tall early, but all the tall in the side at the moment it would just be a shuffle and Adam could play back, mid and forward if required and it may just prolong his career

Bumper Bulldogs
24-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Hard to say, if the knee is not going to get better. It has to be terribly frustrating having to manage the condition, wondering how it's going to pull up each week. If he gets a run (or even a mini-run) of weeks where it feels good, I think we'll see some good output.

If our team was going along better, would he be the perfect person to play as a Sub each week, come on when the sting is out of the game and limiting his exposure to that much work rate for 4 quarters.

Desipura
24-06-2012, 11:08 AM
If our team was going along better, would he be the perfect person to play as a Sub each week, come on when the sting is out of the game and limiting his exposure to that much work rate for 4 quarters.

What if we cop an injury early in the game?

anfo27
24-06-2012, 02:03 PM
really disappointed Cooney said he was right to play yesterday. He was a lame duck out there & it was heart breaking to see him out there playing like that.
If he can't be reinvented as a running defender to save his knees, I really don't see the point in giving him another contract. All he is doing is taking a spot away from another kid to get games into.

Rance Fan
24-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Agree, if he wants to play on I think we should trade him and try get something for him, 3rd rd?
Id say he will call it a day at the end of the year.

Rocco Jones
24-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Agree, if he wants to play on I think we should trade him and try get something for him, 3rd rd?
Id say he will call it a day at the end of the year.

I find this kind of trade talk amusing. We don't really want him anymore because he is broken, why would any other club want him? They aren't around to help us out and I am pretty sure they have access to our games to see how he is going.

Imagine this for a moment. Cooney played for say Carlton and they wanted to trade him out. What would happen if a poster said it would be a good idea for us to go after him?

AndrewP6
24-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I find this kind of trade talk amusing. We don't really want him anymore because he is broken, why would any other club want him? They aren't around to help us out and I am pretty sure they have access to our games to see how he is going.

Imagine this for a moment. Cooney played for say Carlton and they wanted to trade him out. What would happen if a poster said it would be a good idea for us to go after him?

Spot on. "For trade: one Brownlow Medallist. Formerly one of the best mids, currently hampered by a degenerative knee. Able to play in spurts, may or may not get up each week. The definitive week to week proposition. Inquiries to Whitten Oval, attn. Jason McCartney"

Just watch the suitors line up :rolleyes:
Talks of trading him are ludicrous.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-06-2012, 07:53 PM

We would be no worse off than we are currently, He is starting on the field and getting a full game. I think he could still add something to the forward line but not playing the whole game and not along side of Gia & Higgins and or 3 talls.

anfo27
24-06-2012, 09:11 PM
We would be no worse off than we are currently, He is starting on the field and getting a full game. I think he could still add something to the forward line but not playing the whole game and not along side of Gia & Higgins and or 3 talls.

I really do not see the point in having a guy in your team as strictly a super sub because his body will not allow him to play a full game. Adam needs to do whats best for him & the club & if his knees will always be a big issue then he needs to retire.

Maybe the club can manage him better or send him overseas for a magical cure but short of that he will never be the player he was, so holding onto the hope that he can produce some of that coondog magic of old is just a fantasy.

Eastdog
24-06-2012, 09:13 PM
I really do not see the point in having a guy in your team as strictly a super sub because his body will not allow him to play a full game. Adam needs to do whats best for him & the club & if his knees will always be a big issue then he needs to retire.

Maybe the club can manage him better or send him overseas for a magical cure but short of that he will never be the player he was, so holding onto the hope that he can produce some of that coondog magic of old is just a fantasy.

It's a real shame for him. What if he continues with us playing what will be a good role for Cooney.

Ghost Dog
24-06-2012, 09:19 PM
It's a real shame for him. What if he continues with us playing what will be a good role for Cooney.

Was good against Port. Not the only poor player V Brisbane.

Eastdog
24-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Griff and Cross were good yesterday as well. How many years has Cooney left in him you think? I don't he is going to hang up the boots just yet despite these injury concerns.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-06-2012, 09:28 PM

You are really clutching at straws.

I had Cooney as W.O.G.

Ghost Dog
24-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Griff and Cross were good yesterday as well. How many years has Cooney left in him you think? I don't he is going to hang up the boots just yet despite these injury concerns.

Not sure. The fact is, people want Adam to be that top tier player he was who could influence a game on the brink of dispute. He's not that anymore and the thread title clearly shows our collective dismay. We desperately need players like that; Game breakers. I'm not saying Adam will never be that player, but obviously, less likely to be.

But if he performs within our best 22, earns his spot, then who can begrudge him his place alongside other scarred but valued contributors as Cross, Boyd or Brian? I watched him at the game last week and was actually surprised, speedwise, at a few chase down tackles he laid. Hope is not all lost.

BulldogBelle
25-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Dogs give Cooney all clear
Emma Quayle
June 25, 2012

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-give-cooney-all-clear-20120624-20wki.html

Official word is that its not his knee thats a factor

We should be selecting on form and not on past credits

Not suggesting we are selecting Cooney on the credits he has in the bank, but theres no point playing him if he's not in our best 22 available

It was woeful to watch Brisbane waltz out of our forward 50 unchallenged by the likes of Cooney, Roughad and Cordy

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Title of this thread needs editing, remove the question mark.

I love Cooney, has always been one of my favourites but he was nothing short of horrible on the weekend.

SlimPickens
25-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Title of this thread needs editing, remove the question mark.

I love Cooney, has always been one of my favourites but he was nothing short of horrible on the weekend.

Are you basing this solely on one game? Thought he performed pretty well against Port Adelaide.

Maybe the title of the thread should be "Cooney the midfielder-Gone?"

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Are you basing this solely on one game? Thought he performed pretty well against Port Adelaide.

Maybe the title of the thread should be "Cooney the midfielder-Gone?"

I reckon i could have performed well against Port last week, they were shocking.

Just haven't liked his body language all year, even when trying all the basics he's confidence looks completely shot.

Was hoping he could gain confidence as the season went on. But after the weekends game i'm 100% convinced he will not be able to contribute enough to the team to hold his spot.

Really hope he proves me wrong.

Rocco Jones
25-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I think Cooney is definitely still in our best 22. My issue isn't so much with his performances but the message his role is sending to our developing players. He has the skill set that warrants 'carrying' his inability to apply pressure etc but we aren't in contender mode.

As a developing side I want senior players who either set a good example or play 'harder' roles that mean we don't have to throw kids to the wolves (i.e. power forwards, key defenders, 1st rucks). It's not his fault but Coons is neither of these.

The Pie Man
26-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Was brought up on 360 tonight, and Rocket (from my perspective) seemed to suggest he's done. Said he can hardly train, and his hamstring vs Sydney near the end of 2010 was due to his lack of fitness base. Still has explosive speed but can only go the one effort.

I had hopes he could be a valuable forward for us, but I'm moving on. Sad really

anfo27
26-06-2012, 12:28 AM
when does Cooney come out of contract?

azabob
26-06-2012, 10:52 AM
when does Cooney come out of contract?

I think end of 2013.

anfo27
26-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I think end of 2013.

He's getting a lot of coin for the next 2 years for not much return at all. Not saying he didn't earn his current contract but it hasn't worked out for either party on this occasion.

wb_age
27-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Cooney just tweeted about a retired NBA player making a comeback. Brandon Roy retired due to a degenerative knee problem and having no cartlidge left in his knee.

Led me to these articles, considering it was he who led me here. I wonder if he or the club are considering the same treatment used by NBA docs.

Related articles - interesting reads

http://physiodetective.com/2012/02/28/how-to-ruin-a-champions-knees-why-brandon-roy-needed-good-rehab/

http://metromd.net/brandon-roy-athletic-knee-injury-repair-using-stem-cell-therapy/

Cheers

LostDoggy
27-06-2012, 06:18 PM

That goes for any sub. You could what if til the cows come home.

anfo27
27-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Cooney just tweeted about a retired NBA player making a comeback. Brandon Roy retired due to a degenerative knee problem and having no cartlidge left in his knee.

Led me to these articles, considering it was he who led me here. I wonder if he or the club are considering the same treatment used by NBA docs.

Related articles - interesting reads

http://physiodetective.com/2012/02/28/how-to-ruin-a-champions-knees-why-brandon-roy-needed-good-rehab/

http://metromd.net/brandon-roy-athletic-knee-injury-repair-using-stem-cell-therapy/

Cheers

thanks for posting that, it was an interesting read. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel for coons. It would be an amazing sight to see Adam in full flight again.

Rance Fan
20-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Called it 2 years ago, but surely the time has come..Cooneys gone. No impact as a sub! Would of rathered Gia come on!!

Go_Dogs
20-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Called it 2 years ago, but surely the time has come..Cooneys gone. No impact as a sub! Would of rathered Gia come on!!

He was pretty poor today, although it was first game back after a long lay off. I'm sure he'll cop a bake from the coaching staff for some of his efforts, but on reflection, hopefully they are prepared to admit they made the wrong call bringing him straight back in and starting him as sub - it wasn't a good move.

jeemak
20-07-2014, 09:30 PM
I'd have preferred him to start on after such a long lay off. Not a good performance, irrespective of the timing of his TOG.

chef
20-07-2014, 09:32 PM
He should have had a run at Footscray first.

F'scary
20-07-2014, 09:32 PM
When I heard he was named on Thursday night, I thought that he had pushed in front of a couple (Smith & Honeychurch) and reflected that his days as an instant inclusion might be over.

G-Mo77
20-07-2014, 09:39 PM
He should have had a run at Footscray first.

This. He's no longer a walk up starter and needs to earn s spot. Smith should have been there tonight and may have avoided a knee injury. I know, its cruel to think of it like that.

jeemak
20-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Disagree. He's good enough and has been playing well enough this year to command it.

I don't agree with him being sub, as I think it's a bit much after a lay-off but that's just personal preference.

boydogs
20-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Not everyone is as good as Gia at being the sub :)

ratsmac
20-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Cooney gone - definitely not.
Cooney underdone - probably. In hindsight (which is an amazing thing) he should of played through Footscray.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Disagree. He's good enough and has been playing well enough this year to command it.

I don't agree with him being sub, as I think it's a bit much after a lay-off but that's just personal preference.

Has he really been that good this year?

Considering Smith had been in fantastic form in the VFL, and Honeychurch had been good the last two weeks, and Cooney hasn't played for 4-5 weeks, he really shouldn't have come straight back.

anfo27
20-07-2014, 10:47 PM
To say he had no impact on the game is generous because he had a negative impact. His missed tackle on winderlich was terrible but his effort straight after that of a slow jog was embarrassing. Yeah he was underdone but for me he just does not work anywhere near hard enough defensively and that's why I wasn't thrilled to see his name in the team. Clay Smith no doubt should have been there.

LostDoggy
20-07-2014, 10:55 PM
To say he had no impact on the game is generous because he had a negative impact. His missed tackle on winderlich was terrible but his effort straight after that of a slow jog was embarrassing. Yeah he was underdone but for me he just does not work anywhere near hard enough defensively and that's why I wasn't thrilled to see his name in the team. Clay Smith no doubt should have been there.

Totally agree. Was an awful effort to tackle and chase which resulted in a goal. Was the turning point for me.

KT31
20-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Gone., I doubt it.
Underdone, certainly.
Should he have played in front of others, in hindsight No.
Should Adam or the selectors cop the flack for his efforts, selectors for mine.

Greystache
20-07-2014, 11:42 PM
He looked like he was counting down the days till he's playing somewhere else tonight. He should never have come straight into the team.

jeemak
20-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Has he really been that good this year?

Considering Smith had been in fantastic form in the VFL, and Honeychurch had been good the last two weeks, and Cooney hasn't played for 4-5 weeks, he really shouldn't have come straight back.

Up to the Collingwood game I thought he was quite good. While he had one or two performances where he was a little bit off in terms of intensity I thought he'd had an improved year and consolidated his career. His numbers in a lot of ways back that up, especially when early on Griff was out and Libba was playing a little bit shy of his best.

Agree that Smith has been playing well and was a little unfortunate not to get a senior game this week, Honeychurch on the other hand has had his taste and didn't do a great deal without being poor (kind of what you'd expect from a first year player).

My point about him being the sub (or being against it) was based around him needing some time to get into the game after a fair lay off. I do think he's been good enough to get an immediate recall, though I didn't think he would come in without being rusty, which as it turns out, he clearly was. In a sense he was on a hiding to nothing, and while it might have been better for all concerned for him to play twos this week, starting on the ground might have meant ten or fifteen minutes early of him being a liability and getting into it, rather than him being a liability with only 30 minutes to make an impact.

Dumb move by the MC playing him as the sub.

LostDoggy
21-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Keep calling it Rance he's nearly 29 you'll eventually be right. It was his fault we lost! Now it's his fault Clay did his knee :rolleyes:

Maybe we should look at why Picken was taken off if you want someone to blame.

always right
21-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Up to the Collingwood game I thought he was quite good. While he had one or two performances where he was a little bit off in terms of intensity I thought he'd had an improved year and consolidated his career. His numbers in a lot of ways back that up, especially when early on Griff was out and Libba was playing a little bit shy of his best.

Agree that Smith has been playing well and was a little unfortunate not to get a senior game this week, Honeychurch on the other hand has had his taste and didn't do a great deal without being poor (kind of what you'd expect from a first year player).

My point about him being the sub (or being against it) was based around him needing some time to get into the game after a fair lay off. I do think he's been good enough to get an immediate recall, though I didn't think he would come in without being rusty, which as it turns out, he clearly was. In a sense he was on a hiding to nothing, and while it might have been better for all concerned for him to play twos this week, starting on the ground might have meant ten or fifteen minutes early of him being a liability and getting into it, rather than him being a liability with only 30 minutes to make an impact.

Dumb move by the MC playing him as the sub.

Agree with this.

You could argue that Essendon made exactly the same mistake with Hibberd who stank up the place last night after missing several games. I at least give our MC some credit for playing Cooney sub rather than starting him on the ground. Once they decided to select him I thought starting him as sub was a pretty smart move.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2014, 12:26 PM
I just think we ask him if he wants to chase a premiership. If the answer is yes, i'm sure contenders would love him at the right salary, and if it takes pick 25 to 17, then like Hrovat with Lake, if we nail the pick it's a win/win/win.

If he wants to stay on the other hand...

Cyberdoggie
21-07-2014, 01:11 PM
He looked like he was counting down the days till he's playing somewhere else tonight. He should never have come straight into the team.

Not to coaching staff:

Don't play anyone as sub as a way of easing them back into senior footy after an injury break.

EasternWest
21-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Keep calling it Rance he's nearly 29 you'll eventually be right. It was his fault we lost! Now it's his fault Clay did his knee :rolleyes:

Maybe we should look at why Picken was taken off if you want someone to blame.

Please don't make me sadder...

Hotdog60
21-07-2014, 05:34 PM
I'll take back my idea of Cooney being Gia's replacement as the super sub. :)

LostDoggy
21-07-2014, 11:29 PM
I just think we ask him if he wants to chase a premiership. If the answer is yes, i'm sure contenders would love him at the right salary, and if it takes pick 25 to 17, then like Hrovat with Lake, if we nail the pick it's a win/win/win.

You would trade Cooney for an 8 pick upgrade? If was 15 down to 7 I could see your point but...

Cooney won't be going anywhere, he might be mates with Lake but he ain't Lake.

When he done his hammy that game he was on big time, he was by far best on at the time and really was set for a cracker.

I felt for him because he needs a game like that to remind our Faithful why we should not get rid of him.

Maddog37
22-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Every time I saw Coons in the coaching box both at VFL and afl level it made me think that he looked very motivated and interested in the club. Not actions I equate with someone disinterested or looking for a trade.

I simply think he struggled as the sub and needs a run or two to come good. Hindsight suggests that should have been in the VFL.

I look forward to the time in the not too distant future when Coons can be the cream on the cake with our young pups doing the grunt work.

jeemak
22-07-2014, 04:52 PM
You would trade Cooney for an 8 pick upgrade? If was 15 down to 7 I could see your point but...

Cooney won't be going anywhere, he might be mates with Lake but he ain't Lake.

When he done his hammy that game he was on big time, he was by far best on at the time and really was set for a cracker.

I felt for him because he needs a game like that to remind our Faithful why we should not get rid of him.

Mate I think BT was saying a trade for a pick between 17-25 wouldn't be the worst outcome for us, rather than just an upgrade of picks.

bornadog
22-07-2014, 05:54 PM

Lets get rid of another club champion, that is the bulldogs way.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2014, 11:06 PM

As per Jeemak's post above. I'm not saying trade him, i'm saying ask him if he wants to chase a flag as a part of a broad discussion with him about where he's at body wise, mind wise, motivation wise etc, etc.

If he says something like 'I think i've got one good year, i'd regret not chasing a flag, (insert team) says they'd take me on on the same salary and i'd be keen.' Then the clubs work out an upgrade which we're happy with.

If he says I want to stay, I love the club, I want to see these kids win a premierships even if it means I will never get one. Then the answer is bloody obvious what we do. I've never suggested we get rid of any club champion, a few spuds over the journey i've been tough on maybe.

stefoid
22-07-2014, 11:46 PM
The year we picked up Cooney,we also coughed up pick 6 for a key forward from Hawthorn who had a dodgy knee.

bulldogtragic
23-07-2014, 12:09 AM
The year we picked up Cooney,we also coughed up pick 6 for a key forward from Hawthorn who had a dodgy knee.

I thought Veale's knees were ok. :)

bornadog
23-07-2014, 04:57 AM
As per Jeemak's post above. I'm not saying trade him, i'm saying ask him if he wants to chase a flag as a part of a broad discussion with him about where he's at body wise, mind wise, motivation wise etc, etc.

If he says something like 'I think i've got one good year, i'd regret not chasing a flag, (insert team) says they'd take me on on the same salary and i'd be keen.' Then the clubs work out an upgrade which we're happy with.

If he says I want to stay, I love the club, I want to see these kids win a premierships even if it means I will never get one. Then the answer is bloody obvious what we do. I've never suggested we get rid of any club champion, a few spuds over the journey i've been tough on maybe.

Why ask him, when he re-signed a few years ago he said he wanted to stay and mentor the kids.

LostDoggy
23-07-2014, 08:50 AM

No, the Bulldogs way is to hang on to them too long.

bulldogtragic
23-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Why ask him, when he re-signed a few years ago he said he wanted to stay and mentor the kids.

Why not? Surely the club reviews everything and everyone if only to confirm the things they know and find out things they didn't. Brian Lake re-signed on massive coin and was still under contract who said similar things. Del Santo said the same things at Saints and when asked he gave a different answer than expected. It's not a bad thing in his annual review to see where he is at.

bornadog
24-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Why not? Surely the club reviews everything and everyone if only to confirm the things they know and find out things they didn't. Brian Lake re-signed on massive coin and was still under contract who said similar things. Del Santo said the same things at Saints and when asked he gave a different answer than expected. It's not a bad thing in his annual review to see where he is at.

Brian Lake was told he wouldn't be our full back any more so he said well I am out. You gotta show some love and not just kick them out by asking them if they want out.

Remi Moses
24-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Brian Lake was told he wouldn't be our full back any more so he said well I am out. You gotta show some love and not just kick them out by asking them if they want out.

You make tough decisions. That's what their job is.
If Cooney struggles until years end, he's done.
The bloke has a degenerative knee injury and if the MC thinks its in our clubs best interests( and Adams long term health) he should be retired.

Remi Moses
24-07-2014, 07:03 AM
No, the Bulldogs way is to hang on to them too long.

Agree. Our footy club ( like most unsuccessful sporting teams) fawn over their players to often.
The whole " mentoring" line is run out to often.
The club made a gutsy ballsy call with Lake, and if we had every senior player "mentoring" our young players, we'd be stuffed.

Murphy'sLore
24-07-2014, 11:36 AM
To be fair, I don't get the impression that Lake was much of a mentor. And I'm not sure I'd want him to be.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2014, 12:11 PM

Surely you don't believe a non-threatening question in his review at year's end around about whether he would want to chase a flag or even retire on injury in a discussion about his life, not just a footballer, would make him cry and leave the club??

Either we hear positive things out of his mouth so Bmac knows exactly where he is, and what is motivating him for the year ahead, or like Nicky Del, you hear something else which might need to be actioned. I really don't see how this is an attack on Adam, the club or anybody else. If we don't ask this question I think we're not doing the job right.

Greystache
24-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Surely you don't believe a non-threatening question in his review at year's end around about whether he would want to chase a flag or even retire on injury in a discussion about his life, not just a footballer, would make him cry and leave the club??

Only a player like Aker would have an issue with this type of conversation, that is, a player with massive insecurity issues. Player's don't get to the point in their careers where Cooney is without being able to have an open and forthright discussion with footy club management. To suggest players need everyone to tip toe around them for fear of hurting their feelings is ridiculous.

bornadog
25-07-2014, 01:54 AM
Agree. Our footy club ( like most unsuccessful sporting teams) fawn over their players to often.
The whole " mentoring" line is run out to often.
The club made a gutsy ballsy call with Lake, and if we had every senior player "mentoring" our young players, we'd be stuffed.

When Cooney re-signed a few years ago, he said that was his role which he agreed with the club. On Lake, that is not gutsy at all, the guy is one of our best fullbacks of all time and now a Norm Smith medalists. Would have been handy at the club in the backline.
I hate seeing champions leaving to another cub and doing well.

Either we hear positive things out of his mouth so Bmac knows exactly where he is, and what is motivating him for the year ahead, or like Nicky Del, you hear something else which might need to be actioned. I really don't see how this is an attack on Adam, the club or anybody else. If we don't ask this question I think we're not doing the job right.

A review of performance and discussion will happen as it does every year. No problems there.

To suggest players need everyone to tip toe around them for fear of hurting their feelings is ridiculous.

Who said that?

jeemak
25-07-2014, 02:27 AM
BAD, can't you read between the lines to understand why Lake was traded?

I hold a lot of hope that Cooney will have a second wind in his career, as it will help our club immensely. But, I agree with BT (and to be fair, this isn't a regular occurrence) in that a question needs to be asked of Cooney and his value to us needs to be assessed. There's no skin off either nose if Cooney thinks he's better off chasing a premiership in his last year or two of footy, and we let him go for good compensation.

It's business. Not personal.

Remi Moses
25-07-2014, 02:32 AM
So we should have kept Lake, Cross to play until there at least 40.
So where would that leave the likes of Roughead, and the young Mids?
I hate seeing us going an eternity without winning a flag, and not fawning over footballers.

Remi Moses
25-07-2014, 02:35 AM
BAD, can't you read between the lines to understand why Lake was traded?

I hold a lot of hope that Cooney will have a second wind in his career, as it will help our club immensely. But, I agree with BT (and to be fair, this isn't a regular occurrence) in that a question needs to be asked of Cooney and his value to us needs to be assessed. There's no skin off either nose if Cooney thinks he's better off chasing a premiership in his last year or two of footy, and we let him go for good compensation.

It's business. Not personal.

It's about winning a bloody flag and not being a bloody matey chummy boys club.
We've had a truckload of blownlow medalists and no silverware.

jeemak
25-07-2014, 02:42 AM
It's about winning a bloody flag and not being a bloody matey chummy boys club.
We've had a truckload of blownlow medalists and no silverware.

If Cooney has the question asked of him, or conversely, he asks the question of the club (which is a fair chance of happening) then I would hope everyone's mature enough to work to the best scenario of mutual benefit for the club and player.

How's that unreasonable?

Remi Moses
25-07-2014, 03:18 AM
If Cooney has the question asked of him, or conversely, he asks the question of the club (which is a fair chance of happening) then I would hope everyone's mature enough to work to the best scenario of mutual benefit for the club and player.

How's that unreasonable?

Does anyone want a scenario where Adam is battling to get a game?
Yes we know he's been a brown low medalist, but the clubs best interests of its next tilt should take paramount over upsetting a few dented egoes .

bornadog
25-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Does anyone want a scenario where Adam is battling to get a game?
Yes we know he's been a brown low medalist, but the clubs best interests of its next tilt should take paramount over upsetting a few dented egoes .

If Adam is battling to get a game then no one wants him and career over. If he is red hot I would rather he is a Bulldog. That is my argument.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2014, 10:59 AM

How's that unreasonable?

I am sure Coons said earlier this year he wants to remain with the doggies and he sees an exciting future ahead. Doubt if he would have changed his mind so quickly. I for one hopes Coons stays. To see him taking a keen look at our VFL team when injured was one indication to me that he is very happy at our Club.

Remi Moses
25-07-2014, 04:44 PM
If Adam is battling to get a game then no one wants him and career over. If he is red hot I would rather he is a Bulldog. That is my argument.

Agree.

Remi Moses
25-07-2014, 04:49 PM
I am sure Coons said earlier this year he wants to remain with the doggies and he sees an exciting future ahead. Doubt if he would have changed his mind so quickly. I for one hopes Coons stays. To see him taking a keen look at our VFL team when injured was one indication to me that he is very happy at our Club.

Glad to see, but surely the club firstly make a call over the players future?
I know he is contracted, but if his form and fitness suggest otherwise the club makes a decision .
I keep hearing football is now a "business". Didn't Ward make a " business decision" that we all would have made?
The football club is running a "business" then they should make the right call.

AndrewP6
26-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Glad to see, but surely the club firstly make a call over the players future?
I know he is contracted, but if his form and fitness suggest otherwise the club makes a decision .
I keep hearing football is now a "business". Didn't Ward make a " business decision" that we all would have made?
The football club is running a "business" then they should make the right call.

Not 'all' of us, no.

1eyedog
26-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Not 'all' of us, no.

I think 99% of people would have made that decision - it would be ridiculous to walk away from that amount of money in this day and age.

I think the club will speak with Adam if required if the Daniel Cross scenario is anything to go by.

Twodogs
26-07-2014, 06:13 PM
It's not like he would have been on a pittance with us. He would have been a really big deal in the place that eats up anything footy related. Instead he's slogging away in a corner of the world that doesn't care and probably never will.

I think he was poorly advised.

EasternWest
26-07-2014, 06:43 PM
I think 99% of people would have made that decision - it would be ridiculous to walk away from that amount of money in this day and age.

I'd say the figure would be about 1% higher for all of us.

Anyone who says otherwise is speaking with the benefit of not having been faced with the decision.

G-Mo77
26-07-2014, 07:51 PM

He still would have been on pretty good coin with us so it's not like he would have been rubbing coins together had he stayed. Players have and will continue to refuse more money to stay where they are, loyalty, friendship or most importantly finals and the $ still won't win with a lot of players.

I turned down $100 a game I was offered 10 years ago to leave a club or $0 to stay at the club who I had played with all my life. I chose $0. Sorry it's the closest I have to compare from my illustrious career. :D

I was never offered a cent after that. ;)

Seriously not every player going around in this day and age is just in it for $

G-Mo77
26-07-2014, 07:52 PM
It's not like he would have been on a pittance with us. He would have been a really big deal in the place that eats up anything footy related. Instead he's slogging away in a corner of the world that doesn't care and probably never will.

I think he was poorly advised.

This. Callan Ward is playing terrific football. He's one of the better mid fielders of the comp. Does anyone in the footy world even care? Nope.

jeemak
26-07-2014, 08:23 PM
He'd be earning a good 75-85% more with GWS than he would have earned with us.

I know $450K is a lot of money for a 22 year old, but $750 is too good to pass up. Much too good.

Plus, he's the club captain and gun player. Not as bad a footy gig as people say it is, when that's your lot at GWS.

LostDoggy
26-07-2014, 08:28 PM
You make tough decisions. That's what their job is.
If Cooney struggles until years end, he's done.
The bloke has a degenerative knee injury and if the MC thinks its in our clubs best interests( and Adams long term health) he should be retired.

:confused: What makes you think Adam is struggling? I admit his averages are a little down but I would put that down to him being played in different positions to other years not because his knee is shot. I know I've never said a bad word about him and sometimes it might seem I've got glasses on but thats mostly only because of the amount of tripe that's posted about him. Not singling you out Remi it's quite a few others.

I mean fair crack of the whip people the bloke has got some zip back, he hasn't lost much ping in his boot. Yea he isn't the same and sometimes he seems down on confidence but we have alot of kids coming through and he definitely still has a role and when he is up we are most definitely up.

I haven't seen or heard of him giving any reason to think he was contiplating leaving for a shot at a flag, I expect his loyalty runs deeper than that. Maybe some of us need to find some of it ourselves.

Remi Moses
27-07-2014, 02:54 AM
You don't think Adam is struggling?
Mate, you haven't watched a game for the last few years?
We get a fleeting flash, a good game here or there.
Not even a skerrick of what he was.

LostDoggy
27-07-2014, 06:18 AM
You don't think Adam is struggling?
Mate, you haven't watched a game for the last few years?
We get a fleeting flash, a good game here or there.
Not even a skerrick of what he was.

He's had 3 games under 20 touches and one of them a 19. I think he is about 4th best disp eff on the list. Yes he mightn't be as damaging as he was but you don't think it's because of the role he is playing? His laid back attitude makes him an easy target, he has a bad game and people think he wants out!

Don't you think if he was struggling the MC wouldn't rush him straight back from a hammy at 28? Maybe he is playing a role that we don't see and the MC are happy with him?

But then again I don't go to any games or watch them. I just read the paper the next day what would I know.

F'scary
27-07-2014, 03:22 PM
I have to say Cooney is these days getting some competition for a spot in the midfield. But I think he should continue with us next year. Injuries to Smith and Wallis in the last couple of weeks show we need a bit of depth in running player stocks and I don't think we are likely to find someone better than Cooney currently is for next year. We need to focus on key position and ruck recruiting at the end of this year, anyway.

F'scary
27-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Furthermore, I do not feel that anyone would offer that much for him in terms of a draft pick trade. Now, Higgins, on the other hand...

G-Mo77
27-07-2014, 03:32 PM
He'd be earning a good 75-85% more with GWS than he would have earned with us.

I know $450K is a lot of money for a 22 year old, but $750 is too good to pass up. Much too good.

Plus, he's the club captain and gun player. Not as bad a footy gig as people say it is, when that's your lot at GWS.

I never said he shouldn't take it. My response was about not being able to turn down money. Does anyone actually think Callan Ward was the only guy they chased? I'm sure they threw their check book at a whole lot of players and they all said no before Callan finally said yes. Money doesn't run every player going around like some think.

Bulldog4life
27-07-2014, 03:59 PM
I never said he shouldn't take it. My response was about not being able to turn down money. Does anyone actually think Callan Ward was the only guy they chased? I'm sure they threw their check book at a whole lot of players and they all said no before Callan finally said yes. Money doesn't run every player going around like some think.

Excellent point G-Mo.

LostDoggy
27-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Sheedy wanted Callan well before GWS came along, make no mistake he was one of the first they had a crack at.

jeemak
27-07-2014, 07:11 PM

Due to our ineptitude we left Ward exposed. He was out of contract and precisely the player they needed, and in my view that would have put him pretty close to the top of their list (but I'll never know).

In the last few years I can't think of many players that haven't moved when almost double their current or expected future earnings (let alone tenure) have been put on the table.

Sedat
28-07-2014, 01:55 AM
Due to our ineptitude we left Ward exposed. He was out of contract and precisely the player they needed, and in my view that would have put him pretty close to the top of their list (but I'll never know).

In the last few years I can't think of many players that haven't moved when almost double their current or expected future earnings (let alone tenure) have been put on the table.
They made a big play for Andrew Swallow as well but Norf shored him up. The Ward screw-up is why we now have a full-time list manager.

G-Mo77
28-07-2014, 08:44 AM

Publicly you wouldn't hear it, I'm sure there are many.

jeemak
28-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Publicly you wouldn't hear it, I'm sure there are many.

I question whether it actually happens all that often. But, it's not worth arguing over something that neither of us can quantify!

:)

strebla
29-07-2014, 01:59 AM
I really think we have been much better since the nineties we have lost a few but gained many also !!!

Rance Fan
03-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Surely get can't get a game next week!

comrade
03-08-2014, 07:32 PM
He was just so bad today, surely he's not close to full fitness.

Can't lay a tackle to save himself and it's cost us big time in the last 2 games. His kicking (which IMO has also been fragile) is completely off the boil.

bornadog
03-08-2014, 07:33 PM
he was just so bad today, surely he's not close to full fitness.

Can't lay a tackle to save himself and it's cost us big time in the last 2 games. His kicking (which imo has also been fragile) is completely off the boil.

vfl.

F'scary
03-08-2014, 07:37 PM
vfl.

Retire.

bornadog
03-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Retire.

Plays three bad quarters (including Essendon game) and retire???

F'scary
03-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Plays three bad quarters (including Essendon game) and retire???

Forced retirement at that.

F'scary
03-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Give him a gold watch. That was a pathetic effort from one of our senior players.

always right
03-08-2014, 07:58 PM
The greatest concern is that he not only couldn't get a possession in the first quarter......he couldn't even manage a tackle. A real concern that can't be explained by lack of match fitness. It's an attitude thing.

Remi Moses
03-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Surely there is no defence for today's shocking performance.
Time for a decision on Adam's future.
Time to make a call on his career.

ratsmac
03-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Surely there is no defence for today's shocking performance.
Time for a decision on Adam's future.
Time to make a call on his career.

With performances like today he is forcing the clubs hand isn't he? I never seen him so disinterested and for Adam that is saying something. Does he want to play footy any more? Or is it he just doesn't want to play for us?

boydogs
10-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Keep calling it Rance he's nearly 29 you'll eventually be right.

Good call Rooner. Lesson to the rest of us to have a little more faith in him

comrade
10-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Played a great game, but let's not forget who he was up against.

Coons needs to finish the year off strongly.

Rance Fan
10-08-2014, 09:52 PM
One in a row
Against the bottom team
Lets see if he brings it against North and Swans.

Hope he does!

Remi Moses
10-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Everyone wants Adam to do well, and hoping he finishes strongly.
Nobody wants a great talent to look like an ordinary AFL player.

bornadog
11-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Cooney has had his best year for along time. Posters quickly forget how good he is, when after a 4 week layoff with a hammy he plays a couple of bad quarters.

Remi Moses
11-08-2014, 02:34 AM
Cooney has had his best year for along time. Posters quickly forget how good he is, when after a 4 week layoff with a hammy he plays a couple of bad quarters.

Good lord you could gloat for Australia.

always right
11-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Good lord you could gloat for Australia.

You really need to give it a rest. You've made your point.

LostDoggy
11-08-2014, 11:10 AM
I was one who was frustrated with his form over the past few weeks. Albeit against the bottom team, it was great to see him play to the potential we know he has. Great to see him burst from packs, use his speed and hit the scoreboard. Lets hope he can back it up for the final 3 games. Congratulations Adam.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Cooney, bursting into space ahead of the ball, receiving and crossing the 50 arc at top speed, the redhead threads it.
Aahh, memories are revived with this and maybe we will see more of it yet.

Remi Moses
11-08-2014, 05:49 PM
You really need to give it a rest. You've made your point.

Fair enough . Just making a point on someone gloating

bornadog
11-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Fair enough . Just making a point on someone gloating

In ten posts gets really tiresome.

Greystache
11-08-2014, 06:08 PM
In ten posts gets really tiresome.

As it does in 10 threads, have a think about that.

bornadog
11-08-2014, 06:21 PM
No thanks

Remi Moses
11-08-2014, 07:42 PM

That's being cinservative

always right
11-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Thank god we all support the same club eh?:p

bulldogtragic
11-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Thank god we all support the same club eh?:p

Touché, thought the same thing. :)

LostDoggy
31-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Cooney's Gone............Fishing.