PDA

View Full Version : Wallet had a contract.

NoseBleed
02-04-2012, 11:04 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/wallace-had-a-contract-from-sydney/story-e6frexx0-1226315531939

TERRY Wallace was offered a five-year deal to coach Sydney.

After years of innuendo, silence and secrets, that is fact. The man himself says so.

Wallace sensationally walked out on the Western Bulldogs with one game left in the 2002 season, on the promise of an offer too good to refuse.

Sydney vehemently denied any contact with Wallace while he was coaching the Dogs, but a contract exists.

"I had one year left of a contract (at the Western Bulldogs) and had a five-year contract put on the table by Sydney," Wallace said.

People power took over in the Harbour City and Sydney changed its plans, picking the popular assistant Paul Roos.

But as the 10-year anniversary of "Plough-gate" approaches, intimate details are finally leaking out.

"Unfortunately, I got stuck in the middle of a firestorm. One was stepping away from the Bulldogs and the other situation was I was going somewhere ... all of a sudden the rug was pulled out and I got stuck in the middle," Wallace said.

He made the comments on SEN radio recently, but they slipped through without any media scrutiny or follow-up.

Contacted this week, Wallace did not want to elaborate -- and made it clear he would never declare the full details of whether the contract was signed or whether the Swans paid him any compensation for the late change of heart.

But he did not back away from the five-year revelation.

"I said it on air, but I'm not going to say any more. It's history," Wallace said.

Those close to him say he was frustrated to be caught up in a legal tangle at the time. He wanted to explain his story, but was hamstrung.

With QCs involved, Wallace and his manager, Craig Kelly, were compromised in how much they could say as the story erupted at the time.

The offer explains why he decided to leave the Bulldogs.

With only one year left on a contract at the kennel, and no guarantees beyond that, Sydney promised amazing security.

The next question is: Where does this leave Sydney?

At the time, a Swans spokesman described speculation the club had approached Wallace as "absolute bulls---".

The Swans said reports that a Sydney board member had confirmed the club made an approach to Wallace weeks before he exited were untrue.

"I'm telling you, not one of our directors has said anything to that effect," the Swans spokesman said at the time.

I've been waiting to hear someone say "April Fools!", ever since my Aunt sent this to me.

chef
02-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Been done to death, he's apologised and it's time to move on.

NoseBleed
02-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Where and when was that apology, and where can I read it?

I heard him on SEN when here started there, dancing around and refusing to answer direct questions.

Wallet can come back to the fold when he fully disclosed what he did, and apologises for the full story, not the cutesey stuff he's been kidding us with.

Not ever until then.

I'll happily forgive once he does, but I'lll never forget.

Craig

chef
03-04-2012, 08:22 AM

I heard him on SEN when here started there, dancing around and refusing to answer direct questions.

Wallet can come back to the fold when he fully disclosed what he did, and apologises for the full story, not the cutesey stuff he's been kidding us with.

Not ever until then.

Craig

At his press conference after he was sacked from Richmond, I suggest you track it down maybe try YouTube. It was very sincere IMO.

Wallet is a life member and gave his everything while involved at our club and should be welcome back whenever he wants. Time to build a bridge IMO.

There are lawyers involve on both sides so do you really think he wants this to end up in court just so a few punters can hear to 'true' story?

Ghost Dog
03-04-2012, 08:50 AM
At his press conference after he was sacked from Richmond, I suggest you track it down maybe try YouTube. It was very sincere IMO.

Wallet is a life member and gave his everything while involved at our club and should be welcome back whenever he wants. Time to build a bridge IMO.

There are lawyers involve on both sides so do you really think he wants this to end up in court just so a few punters can hear to 'true' story?

Never really know the full story will we?

bornadog
03-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Not ever until then.

Craig

I have heard him twice on SEN over the past year apologising and telling his side of the story. I didn't like what he did, but we should all move on.

The Coon Dog
03-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I have heard him twice on SEN over the past year apologising and telling his side of the story. I didn't like what he did, but we should all move on.

This.

I'd have no problem whatsoever welcoming him back. As some of you know I had a young draftee live with me in 1995 & Plough coached him so I got to know him a bit. Certainly gave our club a profile in his time there.

Remi Moses
03-04-2012, 02:46 PM
He handled it poorly( point he has conceded)
Ten years ago, and time to move on

Maddog37
03-04-2012, 03:38 PM
His time was up anyway. He had become more about promotion than coaching by the end.

bornadog
03-04-2012, 03:55 PM
His time was up anyway. He had become more about promotion than coaching by the end.

During his years with us, I love the way he was innovative and different. Warm ups before the game on the ground was his idea as was talking to the cameras. We almost got to the big one and played in finals in 97.98.99 and 2000.

Mofra
03-04-2012, 05:44 PM
^ Yup, he played and bled for us too - definately time to welcome him back to the club