PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 - Non- Bulldog Games

bornadog
05-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Round 2 action starts tonight. Go Brisbane even though I picked Carlton (Can't stand that club.)

The Coon Dog
05-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Round 2 action starts tonight. Go Brisbane even though I picked Carlton (Can stand that club.)

Can you? I can't!

bornadog
05-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Can't you? I can't!

Thanks for the pickup, I hate that team:mad:

azabob
05-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Marc Murphy looks very fit and strong.
Daniel Rich looks fit.

Both should be in for good seasons, especially Murphy again.

Brisbane still would be cursing he turned his back on them.

ledge
05-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Voss cant coach

Sedat
05-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Powerful effort by Carlton tonight. They have serious talent across every line. Kreuzer is like an awesome, skilful, younger version of Ben Hudson - just a competitive animal. They will be there when the whips are cracking in September.

Kade Simpson was pick 45 in the crap 2003 draft. His run & carry, his elite fitness and his huge left peg would find a happy home on the Doug Hawkins wing right about now. The folly of trading away picks on journeymen :(

GVGjr
05-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Voss cant coach

Is this just a statement or is it based on something in tonight's game?

LostDoggy
05-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Who said Brisbane were a dark horse?
Just shows how crap Melbourne are really.
Unfortunately I don't see us getting 2 top 5 picks cos there are a few really bad teams.

Remi Moses
05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Voss cant coach

Why would he have Rockliff on the pine?
Then he puts him on the backline!
Kept Merrett in the F50! While they're getting pantsed
Unjust that Brisbane get a 5 day break though, due to the AFL's silliness in pulling out the "no Good Friday tradition". Honestly they play on Sunday's FFS!
Unfortunately the Blue Cheats will be there or there abouts in Sept( personally think West Coast are a better team)

LostDoggy
05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Without seeing any of the game. My doubts for Carlton are lack a of key forward and only Jamieson down back. Not sure they can overcome that against the WCs, cats, pies and hawks.

ledge
05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Is this just a statement or is it based on something in tonight's game?

Based on his record last year and this year, just got no idea, good player doesnt mean good coach

I also wonder about Hird and Buckley but at least they have back up behind them.

Eastdog
05-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Based on his record last year and this year, just got no idea, good player doesnt mean good coach

I also wonder about Hird and Buckley but at least they have back up behind them.

Buckley has had a bit of experience being an assistant for a while at Collingwood. When Hird come in at Essendon he had no previous coaching experience. Macca for us I think is a good coach with being an assistant at Geelong when they were in those grand finals and Essendon. I think though it can go both ways. A team can have good players with potential but a bad coach or a team can have players not up to scratch but a decent coach.

Mantis
06-04-2012, 12:18 AM

They are 1-1.

If we get beaten by Adelaide and are 0-2 does that mean B-Mac can't coach either?

LostDoggy
06-04-2012, 12:35 AM
He might be able to coach but not sure the club has gone forward under under his rein.

Sedat
06-04-2012, 12:59 AM
My doubts for Carlton are lack a of key forward and only Jamieson down back. Not sure they can overcome that against the WCs, cats, pies and hawks.
They had Gibbs and a few others out in the final at Subiaco last year and did everything but get over the line. Kreuzer drifting down forward in tandem with Hampson is unconventional but can be effective. They have the best batch of small forwards in the comp and Waite/Walker is the x-factor that either goes missing or wins game off their own boot. Last year's premier had J Pod and Hawkins in the key posts - hardly an all-star cast. They definitely need Jamison down back to add some defensive steel to their back 50, but the move of Yarran to HB has been a master stroke. They have good depth in the mid sized defenders - Tuohy has slotted in seemlessly to AFL. Their midfield bats as deep as anyone's now, and is just about the best going around - it is very versatile too, with quality ball hunters, excellent outside distributors and defensive-oriented hard nuts. I reckon they are almost a lock for top 4, and anything can happen from there.

LostDoggy
06-04-2012, 01:11 AM
They had Gibbs and a few others out in the final at Subiaco last year and did everything but get over the line. Kreuzer drifting down forward in tandem with Hampson is unconventional but can be effective. They have the best batch of small forwards in the comp and Waite/Walker is the x-factor that either goes missing or wins game off their own boot. Last year's premier had J Pod and Hawkins in the key posts - hardly an all-star cast. They definitely need Jamison down back to add some defensive steel to their back 50, but the move of Yarran to HB has been a master stroke. They have good depth in the mid sized defenders - Tuohy has slotted in seemlessly to AFL. Their midfield bats as deep as anyone's now, and is just about the best going around - it is very versatile too, with quality ball hunters, excellent outside distributors and defensive-oriented hard nuts. I reckon they are almost a lock for top 4, and anything can happen from there.

Ok Maybe I'm partly hoping they aren't top 4. To me Henderson isn't a key back. Waite is patchy. Still playing Thornton. Not sure Kruezer is top class yet. Rucks aren't special but match the hawks and cats.
Would love their midfield and small pacy types.
I wish they will fall over.

Remi Moses
06-04-2012, 01:15 AM
They are 1-1.

If we get beaten by Adelaide and are 0-2 does that mean B-Mac can't coach either?

If Brendan McCartney does what Voss did , recruiting recycled duds and the village idiot and setting the club back 5 years I'd be mortified, horrified and any other adjective to describe anguish.

Remi Moses
06-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Ok Maybe I'm partly hoping they aren't top 4. To me Henderson isn't a key back. Waite is patchy. Still playing Thornton. Not sure Kruezer is top class yet. Rucks aren't special but match the hawks and cats.
Would love their midfield and small pacy types.
I wish they will fall over.

Agree Chops, small forwards don't win flags.
Waite standing up is the key for mine, and Jamieson .
Great midfield but not sold on them being better than the Pies, Cats, Hawks or the Eagles

ledge
06-04-2012, 09:35 AM
They are 1-1.

I did say over last year as well, obviously you decided to erase that from your thoughts.

Its more about the way he coaches not win loss ratio and about the players responding to his game plan.

He has been there a season already and its not looking any better, our coach one game, if you want to judge on this year and compare both go ahead.

Our coach I reserve my judgement for end of season but even though we lost by 50, I see a lot of positives.

Mantis
06-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Watched a bit this morning and it was evident how quickly Brisbane fatigued in the 2nd half. Coming off a 5 day break against Carlton who had a 7 day break is really poor, especially considering how quick most of the rd1 games were... when will the AFL learn?

Sockeye Salmon
06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Watched a bit this morning and it was evident how quickly Brisbane fatigued in the 2nd half. Coming off a 5 day break against Carlton who had a 7 day break is really poor, especially considering how quick most of the rd1 games were... when will the AFL learn?

They didn't need to schedule a 5 day break either. They could have scheduled Sydney or GWS in this time slot.

Eastdog
06-04-2012, 01:19 PM
They didn't need to schedule a 5 day break either. They could have scheduled Sydney or GWS in this time slot.

Kind of a bit with us coming off a 6 day break this week and again next week. I guess though it balances itself as St Kilda who we play next week will also come of a 6 day break.

The Coon Dog
06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Kind of a bit with us coming off a 6 day break this week and again next week. I guess though it balances itself as St Kilda who we play next week will also come of a 6 day break.

Don't we play our next 2 games on a Saturday night? How do you make that a 6 day break?

Eastdog
06-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Don't we play our next 2 games on a Saturday night? How do you make that a 6 day break?

Quite right The Coon Dog. We play St Kilda on Saturday night. Im thinking of when we play Collingwood in Round 6. That one is on a Friday night.

Happy Days
06-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Brisbane will be markedly better with Brown back in the side. Will mean they will stop having to take their best players out of their preferred roles in order to manufacture an avenue to goal (Rockliff, Merrett).

Eastdog
07-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Essendon v Port Adelaide now underway.

ledge
07-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Good win by the Bombers but this game could come back to haunt them injury wise, down to one interchange at one stage, and the injuries are important players, how long they miss will come out during the week.

Eastdog
07-04-2012, 05:59 PM
In the other match Sydney defeated Fremantle by 13 points (94-81).

Remi Moses
07-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Just started watching Eagles Dees, where the free kick count is 23 1!!

AndrewP6
07-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Just started watching Eagles Dees, where the free kick count is 23 1!!

Dees are very ordinary. Kennedy has 1.3 for the Weagles - shame he didn't start the season like that.;)

LostDoggy
07-04-2012, 07:46 PM
90 points ATM. Demons are trying for the priority pick.

LostDoggy
07-04-2012, 07:50 PM
From the stats looks like a second gamer Magner is their best player. That's pitiful.

ledge
07-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Neeld has had an awful start to coaching, and not like he is to blame, what a mess Melbourne are as a club.

ledge
07-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Should be a falling star award on highest picked shockers, Jack Watts probably would have won it the last 2 years.

AndrewP6
07-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Mitch Clark has kicked five of Melbourne's goals. Nathan Jones has 2 (I think!).

I think I wouldn't mind a few ads if it meant the dreadful commentary team didn't get to talk as much.

chef
07-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Josh Hill doing alright again.

Pickenitup
07-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Thank god we play the Dees in the next couple of weeks

jazzadogs
07-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Melbourne are woeful. But West Coast are very good as well. Very even team, if they were a Melbourne team we would be hearing a lot more about them.

bornadog
07-04-2012, 08:23 PM

Yeah and they will bounce back against us:p

LostDoggy
07-04-2012, 11:50 PM
The Dees game vs us is their 2nd Stynes game so it could go either way.

Remi Moses
08-04-2012, 02:19 AM
No excuses we should beat Melbourne.
Is it possible Neeld's lost the players already?

Flamethrower
08-04-2012, 12:22 PM

Melbourne would be thinking the same thing.

ledge
08-04-2012, 12:30 PM
No excuses we should beat Melbourne.
Is it possible Neeld's lost the players already?

Interesting question or is it the club is a complete mess anyway.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 02:57 PM
North Melbourne v GWS on Fox Footy. Is the score up now on screen because before it wasn't.

AndrewP6
08-04-2012, 03:04 PM
North Melbourne v GWS on Fox Footy. Is the score up now on screen because before it wasn't.

Yes, and it's beyond ugly.

About 7mins before halftime. North leads 67-3. Yep, you read that right.

The Underdog
08-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes, and it's beyond ugly.

About 7mins before halftime. North leads 67-3. Yep, you read that right.

Schaudenfreude is grouse

ledge
08-04-2012, 03:14 PM
80 to 4 now not even half time.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 04:59 PM
As expected North demolitoned GWS by 129 points. GWS v Hawthorn, Carlton, Collingwood who knows records could be broken or they will take it easy.

Remi Moses
08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Should be substandard Sunday

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 05:29 PM
St Kilda v Gold Coast. Over or under 100 for St Kilda.

Ghost Dog
08-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Collingwood definitely don't look as convincing as last season.

AndrewP6
08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
St Kilda v Gold Coast. Over or under 100 for St Kilda.

Under.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Saints by 29 points at the moment.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Edging closer to 100 points for St Kilda. That could 3 games over 100.

Ghost Dog
08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Some people with North or Saints players in their supercoach team will be rubbing their hands.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Gold Coast and GWS have a long long way to go based on those performances. When they do become good we will hate them even more than we do now.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Gary Ablett is a star and the only shining for the Gold Coast today with 40 possessions.

Eastdog
09-04-2012, 12:09 PM
To conclude Round 2: Geelong vs Hawthorn. This one in the last few years between these two have been exciting and today I reckon it will be fairly close once again.

ledge
09-04-2012, 12:52 PM
For some reason i see Geelong getting flogged... but that will probably come back to haunt me.

Mantis
09-04-2012, 01:06 PM
For some reason i see Geelong getting flogged... but that will probably come back to haunt me.

Flogged??

I see a flogging as 50+ pts. Geelong haven't been beaten by this amount since rd9 2008.... Why will it happen today?

azabob
09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Gary Ablett is a star and the only shining for the Gold Coast today with 40 possessions.

Not sure what to say or make of Ablett.

Played in possibly the best team since the Hawks in the 80's? I was only in primary school at the time.

Left that club to supposedly chase the dollar. He saw it differently, he wanted to prove himself to the footy public all over again. Most said he'd fail because he wouldn't have the same help or protection.

I think it's fair to say to has proved himself all over again, to be a champion footballer.

We all might not agree on the reasons why he left but thats another story all together.

Greystache
09-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Not sure what to say or make of Ablett.

Played in possibly the best team since the Hawks in the 80's? I was only in primary school at the time.

Left that club to supposedly chase the dollar. He saw it differently, he wanted to prove himself to the footy public all over again. Most said he'd fail because he wouldn't have the same help or protection.

I think it's fair to say to has proved himself all over again, to be a champion footballer.

We all might not agree on the reasons why he left but thats another story all together.

It's a good point, one I'd been discussing with some mates recently.

At Geelong I didn't have much time for Ablett, he seemed to be purely focussed on racking up cheap stats to win individual awards. His response to missing out on the Norm Smith and Brownlow medals in 2008 was pretty pathetic. But since moving to Gold Coast I've discovered a new respect for him, he still racks up touches, but now most of them are hard won, he sets the example for his younger players and seems genuinely interested in helping their development, and still kicks the big goals to keep them in games.

I don't doubt the money was a big motivator in his move, but I do honestly believe the challenge and opportunity was appealing too.

ledge
09-04-2012, 02:58 PM
It's a good point, one I'd been discussing with some mates recently.

At Geelong I didn't have much time for Ablett, he seemed to be purely focussed on racking up cheap stats to win individual awards. His response to missing out on the Norm Smith and Brownlow medals in 2008 was pretty pathetic. But since moving to Gold Coast I've discovered a new respect for him, he still racks up touches, but now most of them are hard won, he sets the example for his younger players and seems genuinely interested in helping their development, and still kicks the big goals to keep them in games.

I don't doubt the money was a big motivator in his move, but I do honestly believe the challenge and opportunity was appealing too.

Matured?

Eastdog
09-04-2012, 03:13 PM
What do you guys think of Hunt and Foleau. Will the be in the AFL long term or will are just for promotion of these new teams. It would not surprise me if the went back to play Rugby League again.

Eastdog
09-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Haven't been watching the Geelong v Hawthorn but checking the score it looks like it is going to go down to the wire.

Sedat
09-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Hands down this is the best rivalry in the AFL. Hawks and Cats always produce brilliant, brutal matches. Today is another classic. If the Hawks don't close this one out, I don't know when their next victory will be over Geelong.

EasternWest
09-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Haven't been watching the Geelong v Hawthorn but checking the score it looks like it is going to go down to the wire.

Good game. Could still go either way.

Eastdog
Cats in the lead.

dog town
Regardless of the result you have to love watching Geelong. Such a simple brand of footy.

Eastdog
09-04-2012, 06:39 PM
These two will be right in the mix at the business end of the season.

EasternWest
09-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Hands down this is the best rivalry in the AFL. Hawks and Cats always produce brilliant, brutal matches. Today is another classic. If the Hawks don't close this one out, I don't know when their next victory will be over Geelong.

I've been really impressed with Hawkins. Physically attacking every contest and still covering a lot of ground.

Eastdog
09-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Geelong do it again over Hawthorn.

Remi Moses
09-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Hawks just cannot beat Geelong
Great belief amongst all those classy players
Hawkins has arrived, I think it's official

Sedat
09-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I have so much admiration for Geelong and their players. They simply find a way, and their leaders all step up whenever a big match is up for grabs. No wonder their young players thrive - they have so many wonderful role models to take inspiration from.

Hawthorn did absolutely everything possible today. They smashed in at the contested ball, they laid a huge amount of tackles, they got important contributions out of all their best players (Hodge excepted) and yet they still fell short against a team with 6 players missing from their 2011 flag team.

LostDoggy
09-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Hawks just cannot beat Geelong

Unless they play in a GF.

Hotdog60
09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Franklin made 2 errors in judgment today, 2 shots at goal were he dribbled the shot along the ground in wet greasy conditions. Both times in nearly the same position the ball did the same thing and slid away from goal, he should have at least on the second shot put it though the air at worst 1 point instead of the no score he got.

LostDoggy
09-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Franklin made 2 errors in judgment today, 2 shots at goal were he dribbled the shot along the ground in wet greasy conditions. Both times in nearly the same position the ball did the same thing and slid away from goal, he should have at least on the second shot put it though the air at worst 1 point instead of the no score he got.

Starting to wonder about Franklin.
2 rounds and 2 chokes when his team needed him the most. Last week missed two when Collingwood were closing in. And dropped the game today from his favorite position.