PDA

View Full Version : Footy Grounds

The Coon Dog
20-09-2007, 12:11 AM
I posted this a while back on BF. Thought it might just bring back a memory or two of a different era in footy.

A bygone culture. Tribal football played between opposing suburbs. I absolutely LOVED going to all (well, most) the other VFL grounds in the 70's & 80's.

Here are some of my memories of those grounds, not necessarily matches played there.

PRINCES PARK:

I used to catch a bus from Braybrook to the city & then walk to Elizabeth Street to catch a tram. I really didn't know where I was going, just followed the crowd. As opposition supporters we were herded into the Northern end of the ground. It always seemed to be packed.

The scoreboard was a ripper. The numbers were yellow & I found that easier to see. Those guys up there were so quick, often putting up the scores before the goal umpire had signalled. There was this little saying on the scoreboard which I never found out what it meant. It used to say "What is a HIC?"

VICTORIA PARK:

No tram, but a train from Princess Bridge (funny, used to go to Flinders Street number 1 platform & walk underground for ages to find it) Station. It'd be teeming with hordes of the black & white faithful.

When the train pulled in at the station all you could see were the back of the grandstands painted right up to the sky in black & white stripes.

To me the ground always seemed half built & half falling down. All the walls that surrounded the stands in the outer seemed cracked.

It was hard to see, you were constantly being bumped & the toilets stank.

Always a great atmosphere tho, unless Collingwood lost when the mood could turn unpredictable quite suddenly.

WINDY HILL:

This involved swapping trains at North Melbourne & again following the crowd. It was a fair walk to the ground & you ran the gauntlet by dodging cars to get there.

Inevitably you ended up on a hill in the outer standing on stones. Occassionaly if you got there early enough you could climb the advertising signs & watch from up there.

I loved to see that old grandstand with a round window.

JUNCTION OVAL:

I loved the short train trip to St.Kilda station from Flinders Street. There seemed so much more to look out & see.

This was one ground you couldn't walk around as there was a members only area so most times you sat on the outer or stood behind the goals.

I liked to look at the hexagonal building that overlooked the ground (Cadbury Schweppes building) that featured regularly on the cop TV show 'Bluey'.

WESTERN OVAL:

Obviously my favourite. My whole family would catch a bus & get off at the corner of Barkly Street & Gordon Street, buy a footy record & line up to get our season tickets clipped (no fancy bar code in those days, it was clipped with a circle or a 'V').

Free seating in the EJ Whitten stand in the front row & say hello to all these people who were in their same spots each week (didn't know who they were).

Head down with autograph book in hand & await the senior players arrival. Catch up with those I missed who were standing in front of the EJ Whitten stand watching the reserves.

Check out the souviner stall to get sew on names for the duffel coat.

I used to love looking to my right to see the unfinished Westgate Bridge.

Grab a cardbox box & slide down the stones.

What a fantastic trip home the bus ride was if we won!!

KARDINIA PARK:

Didn't venture down there too often as a kid. Once we sat in the stand & past the other side of the ground I could see a house I was convinced belonged to the Addams Family.

It was an awfully train trip home if we lost (which we did thru the 70's).

MCG:

A train trip from Flinders Street to Richmond. I would always stare at the magnificent stadium as we passed it.

The toilets used to fascinate me. They were painted in red for men & green for women (or vice versa). There seemed so many of them.

I loved that old clock in the members stand.

You could play hide & seek & never be found, ever.

ARDEN STREET:

This was a walk from North Melbourne station down a street with factories that seemed to churn out bread or concrete.

"North Have Courage" signs were up over the ground as well as it being dwarfed on the outer side by a huge gasometer.

It always seemed to be cold there.

MOORABBIN:

How far away was this ground? Just when you thought you were close by getting off at the station you had this walk which seemed to go on thru about 3 suburbs.

What a bog! Rumours persisted for years of the ground being watered. It always seemed to be muddy.

The supporters down there seemed a hearty breed (read feral).

I used to always fall asleep on the way home.

LAKESIDE OVAL:

Like the Junction Oval this was a short train trip to Albert Park.

This probably had the worst scoreboard in the league.

Up one end was a red & white grandstand. It always seemed windy.

VFL PARK:

How I hated going here. It was a long train ride to Glen Waverley station then a long bus trip to the ground. Always remember going past Brandon Park Shopping Centre.

The bus used to park miles from the ground so you had a decent walk to get in & then had to go over the other side of the ground.

Didn't matter where you decided to sit, the play always seemed to be miles away.

On the rare occassions it was sunny you couldn't see the scores on the big sepia scoreboard. Remember it was in the shape of a V with a blue footy on top.

*There was far more importance on the toss in those days as wind & rain & mud & slippery grounds were factors. It added to the excitement.

Afterwards you could get out on the ground & have a kick. Funny with all those balls being booted out there you never seemed to get hit.

As always there was the old guy with glasses who made himself into an institution selling peanuts (shilling a bag). They were nice & left a nice mess afterwards.

Great to relive some of those days. I'm sure there are other memories people would like to share.

LostDoggy
20-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I love this stuff TCD
How about the pubs near the grounds?
I heard stories The Brickmakers Arms in Essendon was rough after the footy.
I went to the Rising Sun (Footscray) a few times which was a experience itself.
I'm sure some of us went to the Royal (Punt Rd) after a G game.

Twodogs
20-09-2007, 11:06 AM

I remmeber a game in the '70s. We went into the Rising Sun after a big home win. My dad got mightily pissed and I lost him on the way home-I retraced my steps and eventually found him passed out in a front yard in Geelong rd. He'd stopped to pick some flowers for my mum and fallen over the fence and gone to sleep!

The Underdog
20-09-2007, 04:36 PM
God I miss suburban footy.
For all the comfort of Telstra or the G these days who doesn't miss standing in the outer.
It all felt so much less removed.

I loved the Junction Oval, went to the community cup recently and lots of memories came rushing back.
Enjoyed Princes Park. Vic Park was scary as all hell.
Only went to Windy Hill once when I was too young to really remember.
Was always intrigued by the boxes on the Hawkins wing at the Western Oval especially the ladders up to the heavens.
Even used to enjoy Moorabin, although I'd forgotten about the walk.
Used to go to Army Reserve Cup games at the Lakeside before there was Sunday footy every week.
I miss gravel covered steps littered with old VB cans. It gets me all misty eyed

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2007, 04:51 PM

I thought so, too, until we played Brisbane under the roof at Telstra Dome the same day Carlton played Adelaide @ Princes Park.

The storm was so bad they wouldn't let the TV cameramen at Princes Park stay up the towers in case they got hit by lightning. It rained so hard the roof at Telstra Dome started leaking.

I thought the Telstra Dome comfort was pretty good that day.

I would love a proper standing room area, though. It still doesn't feel right to sit down at the footy. Standing behind the disabled seats on level 3 is the best spot to watch the footy at the Dome. Security will make you find a seat these days if you try to stand there.

The Underdog
20-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I thought so, too, until we played Brisbane under the roof at Telstra Dome the same day Carlton played Adelaide @ Princes Park.

The storm was so bad they wouldn't let the TV cameramen at Princes Park stay up the towers in case they got hit by lightning. It rained so hard the roof at Telstra Dome started leaking.

I thought the Telstra Dome comfort was pretty good that day.

I would love a proper standing room area, though. It still doesn't feel right to sit down at the footy. Standing behind the disabled seats on level 3 is the best spot to watch the footy at the Dome. Security will make you find a seat these days if you try to stand there.

I often stand down on level 1 depending on how I'm feeling.
Not too worried about the elements although you're right, somedays it is nice to be at TD.

GVGjr
20-09-2007, 06:46 PM
For all the comfort of Telstra or the G these days who doesn't miss standing in the outer.
It all felt so much less removed.

I loved the Junction Oval, went to the community cup recently and lots of memories came rushing back.
Enjoyed Princes Park. Vic Park was scary as all hell.
Only went to Windy Hill once when I was too young to really remember.
Was always intrigued by the boxes on the Hawkins wing at the Western Oval especially the ladders up to the heavens.
Even used to enjoy Moorabin, although I'd forgotten about the walk.
Used to go to Army Reserve Cup games at the Lakeside before there was Sunday footy every week.
I miss gravel covered steps littered with old VB cans. It gets me all misty eyed

I got to a lot of Werribee games this year and really enjoyed it. Same with the junior football. I suppose that is as close to Suburban footy as I can get to now.
I used to enjoy trekking around all those old VFL grounds.

The Underdog
21-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I got to a lot of Werribee games this year and really enjoyed it. Same with the junior football. I suppose that is as close to Suburban footy as I can get to now.
I used to enjoy trekking around all those old VFL grounds.

I try to get down to the local footy occasionally. Not living overly close to any VFL grounds and working a lot of weekends it's often hard to just fit in the doggies games let alone anything else. Not to mention my recent lifestyle change ;)
I love it when I manage to do it though.
As much as I love the football, going to TD doesn't feel quite as connected as it did when going to the old grounds. Comfortable sure, but just a bit removed

dog town
21-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Local footy is that much better to watch than the AFL that its almost like watching a different sport. On top of that you can know the characters involved in the match which makes you feel more involved. Also from a playing perspective the fact that you see the guys you are playing against down at the local pub and things all the time really adds to the rivalry and makes for that genuine hatred between clubs. I understand why the AFL is not like that these days but I think its good that local footy still gives you these things. IMO their is more passion in the local game these days then their is in the afl.

LostDoggy
22-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I love this stuff TCD
How about the pubs near the grounds?
I heard stories The Brickmakers Arms in Essendon was rough after the footy.
I'm sure some of us went to the Royal (Punt Rd) after a G game.

How about the Albert Hotel? For those not familiar with pubs in Footscray it was at the corner of Eleanor Street and Essex Street. It is where we went most of the time.

They served great steamed dim sims from the urn- but really missed a big opportunity to make some serious dough by NOT serving counter meals in the public bar. Especially in the years 1994,1995 and 1996 when Fitzroy were playing there as well.

LostDoggy
22-09-2007, 10:59 PM
I posted this a while back on BF. Thought it might just bring back a memory or two of a different era in footy.

A bygone culture. Tribal football played between opposing suburbs. I absolutely LOVED going to all (well, most) the other VFL grounds in the 70's & 80's.

Here are some of my memories of those grounds, not necessarily matches played there.

PRINCES PARK:

I used to catch a bus from Braybrook to the city & then walk to Elizabeth Street to catch a tram. I really didn't know where I was going, just followed the crowd. As opposition supporters we were herded into the Northern end of the ground. It always seemed to be packed.

The scoreboard was a ripper. The numbers were yellow & I found that easier to see. Those guys up there were so quick, often putting up the scores before the goal umpire had signalled. There was this little saying on the scoreboard which I never found out what it meant. It used to say "What is a HIC?"

VICTORIA PARK:

No tram, but a train from Princess Bridge (funny, used to go to Flinders Street number 1 platform & walk underground for ages to find it) Station. It'd be teeming with hordes of the black & white faithful.

When the train pulled in at the station all you could see were the back of the grandstands painted right up to the sky in black & white stripes.

To me the ground always seemed half built & half falling down. All the walls that surrounded the stands in the outer seemed cracked.

It was hard to see, you were constantly being bumped & the toilets stank.

Always a great atmosphere tho, unless Collingwood lost when the mood could turn unpredictable quite suddenly.

WINDY HILL:

This involved swapping trains at North Melbourne & again following the crowd. It was a fair walk to the ground & you ran the gauntlet by dodging cars to get there.

Inevitably you ended up on a hill in the outer standing on stones. Occassionaly if you got there early enough you could climb the advertising signs & watch from up there.

I loved to see that old grandstand with a round window.

JUNCTION OVAL:

I loved the short train trip to St.Kilda station from Flinders Street. There seemed so much more to look out & see.

This was one ground you couldn't walk around as there was a members only area so most times you sat on the outer or stood behind the goals.

I liked to look at the hexagonal building that overlooked the ground (Cadbury Schweppes building) that featured regularly on the cop TV show 'Bluey'.

WESTERN OVAL:

Obviously my favourite. My whole family would catch a bus & get off at the corner of Barkly Street & Gordon Street, buy a footy record & line up to get our season tickets clipped (no fancy bar code in those days, it was clipped with a circle or a 'V').

Free seating in the EJ Whitten stand in the front row & say hello to all these people who were in their same spots each week (didn't know who they were).

Head down with autograph book in hand & await the senior players arrival. Catch up with those I missed who were standing in front of the EJ Whitten stand watching the reserves.

Check out the souviner stall to get sew on names for the duffel coat.

I used to love looking to my right to see the unfinished Westgate Bridge.

Grab a cardbox box & slide down the stones.

What a fantastic trip home the bus ride was if we won!!

KARDINIA PARK:

Didn't venture down there too often as a kid. Once we sat in the stand & past the other side of the ground I could see a house I was convinced belonged to the Addams Family.

It was an awfully train trip home if we lost (which we did thru the 70's).

MCG:

A train trip from Flinders Street to Richmond. I would always stare at the magnificent stadium as we passed it.

The toilets used to fascinate me. They were painted in red for men & green for women (or vice versa). There seemed so many of them.

I loved that old clock in the members stand.

You could play hide & seek & never be found, ever.

ARDEN STREET:

This was a walk from North Melbourne station down a street with factories that seemed to churn out bread or concrete.

"North Have Courage" signs were up over the ground as well as it being dwarfed on the outer side by a huge gasometer.

It always seemed to be cold there.

MOORABBIN:

How far away was this ground? Just when you thought you were close by getting off at the station you had this walk which seemed to go on thru about 3 suburbs.

What a bog! Rumours persisted for years of the ground being watered. It always seemed to be muddy.

The supporters down there seemed a hearty breed (read feral).

I used to always fall asleep on the way home.

LAKESIDE OVAL:

Like the Junction Oval this was a short train trip to Albert Park.

This probably had the worst scoreboard in the league.

Up one end was a red & white grandstand. It always seemed windy.

VFL PARK:

How I hated going here. It was a long train ride to Glen Waverley station then a long bus trip to the ground. Always remember going past Brandon Park Shopping Centre.

The bus used to park miles from the ground so you had a decent walk to get in & then had to go over the other side of the ground.

Didn't matter where you decided to sit, the play always seemed to be miles away.

On the rare occassions it was sunny you couldn't see the scores on the big sepia scoreboard. Remember it was in the shape of a V with a blue footy on top.

There was far more importance on the toss in those days as wind & rain & mud & slippery grounds were factors. It added to the excitement.

Afterwards you could get out on the ground & have a kick. Funny with all those balls being booted out there you never seemed to get hit.

As always there was the old guy with glasses who made himself into an institution selling peanuts (shilling a bag). They were nice & left a nice mess afterwards.

Great to relive some of those days. I'm sure there are other memories people would like to share.

Actually the period between 1970 and 1979 wasn't all that bad for Footscray fans travelling to Geelong, compared to previous decades and the 1980's (just the one success there in 1985)

We won at Kardinia Park in 1972, 1973 and 1975, lost by 2 points there in 1976( I remember listening to that game at home on the radio)

We didn't play at Kardinia Park in 1974 and 1977 and lost narrowly there in 1978. That was the first time I went to Geelong- 1978 and I recall standing in mud behind the goals at the Moorabool Street end- which is the left hand end on the tv. Geelong kicked to that end in the last quarter of the 1978 game. The other end was a building site as they were constructing the (then named!)Reg Hickey Stand at that time and nobody was watching the game from that end on that afternoon.

Got a hiding there in 1979 though- I think our final score was 7.5.47? As for 1970, thrashed and 1971 was a run of the mill defeat.

The 1960's were a barren period at Geelong. Well when they opened the ground in 1944 we won there that day. Then did not win there again until 1972, just a draw on the opening round of 1957- that being the only game we played at Kardinia Park after the 1944 victory till the 1972 victory in which we didn't lose.

Hope you all didn't mind a bit of (some say useless and boring) historical information there.

GVGjr
22-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Hope you all didn't mind a bit of (some say useless and boring) historical information there.

It's actually terrific to read from my perspective.

The Coon Dog
07-11-2007, 10:33 PM
It's a shame newer football supporters will only have memories of Telstra Dome, the MCG & perhaps Kardinia Park.

always right
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
One thing I'll always remember was the day I went to see the dogs play Sydney at Western Oval. I was standing on the hill alongside the EJ Whitten stand when the siren blew for quarter time. Down from the stand walks Leanne Edelsten in leather pants and fur coat. Slightly over-dressed I would have thought.

She then proceeds to get in the queue to buy a bucket of chips. Quite a site with Leanne standing there with a very plain, short and stocky lady standing behind her looking Leanne up and down with absolute disdain. She gained a lot of respect from me that day (Leanne, not the plain looking woman) although perhaps it said more about the quality of the president's lunch those days.

The Coon Dog
07-11-2007, 10:55 PM
We once played Essendon at the Western Oval & Mel Gibson sat in the EJ Whitten Stand.

LostDoggy
07-11-2007, 11:11 PM
It's a shame newer football supporters will only have memories of Telstra Dome, the MCG & perhaps Kardinia Park.

I have an amazingly poor memory, and I don't think mum ever took me to Whitten Oval to see a match, I started going when we were at Optus, I have vague memories of that and the only time I've been to KP was this year for the practice match against Essendon...so very few memories unfortunately, but I never really had the chance to appreciate them anyway, we only used to go to home games.

Max469
07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Great thread TCD

Ah the memories and not necessarily of the games. Although I have followed our beloved Doggies for over 35 years, I never got to see them play until I was in my 20's. Country girl growing up in a North Melbourne supporting household to blame.

Will always remember the excitement of seeing the boys actually run out for the 1st time, thought I was going to be sick.

PRINCES PARK:

Remember Leigh Matthews knocking out Neil Cordy and I was half over the fence with brolly in hand to take Matthews on, before my friends dragged me back.

My car would not start after a game when we beat Carlton. Of course I was parked where all the Carlton supporters parked, so hid the scarf until a guy jumped started me, then showed him "my true colours". He said that if he had known I followed the doggies, he would have left me there.

VICTORIA PARK:

Remember arguing with my Collingwood follower brother at many a match - then losing him and having to walk home.

After leaving V P one day - with a friend heading up Hoddle St and we got cut off by a bloke with a trailer and my friend was pissed off, so when we were stopped - he went to get out the car (no mean feat quickly as he had disability) to have a go at the bloke - so I had to drag him back into the car before he got bashed.

I also used to work there some match days and worked when they won the grand final in 1990.

WINDY HILL:

Took me ages to get there and we got thumped - no more to be said.

JUNCTION OVAL:

Did not get there.

WESTERN OVAL:

Best of the lot - could not wait to sit on the fence Barkly St end. From when the gates opened until after the game.

Remember the Presidents lunches and the discos.

So many memories

KARDINIA PARK:

Never went there. Used to drive past all the time to come to Melbourne.

Remember coming back to Melbourne after being home for the weekend and we were 40 odd points down as I drove past - by the time I got to Melbourne - we had won.

MCG:

Could not believe how big this place was - could only dream about that one day in September - still dreaming.

ARDEN STREET:

Never got to see my beloved Mums team play there - have been to check it all out though.

MOORABBIN:

Funnily enough I used to go there a lot with friends. Even found myself in there social club area on many occasions. Still never wanted to change colours.

LAKESIDE OVAL:

Remember it pouring with rain for a St Kilda / Dogs reserve match - everyone running for cover and we stayed put with a big sheet of plastic over us. On the televise - Peter McKenna was laughing at us in the rain - but we were the dry ones.

VFL PARK:

Remember going to Night matches and not being able to see the ground because of the fog. And being so cold, the jeans would freeze up.

My first Melb VFL game was here - St Kilda and Hawthorn -being a country girl could not really understand as to why I could not pack the car at the fence. Could not find the car for ages afterwards, the car park was so big.

Twodogs
08-11-2007, 11:37 AM
We once played Essendon at the Western Oval & Mel Gibson sat in the EJ Whitten Stand.

I can remember Malcolm Fraser sitting in the Gent stand when we played Carlton once. I sold him a raffle ticket.

Cant remember Mel being there though. Did he villify anyone while he was there?

The Coon Dog
08-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I can remember Malcolm Fraser sitting in the Gent stand when we played Carlton once. I sold him a raffle ticket.

No, he was with the Essendon contingent, so he sat up the other end of the grandstand.

LostDoggy
08-11-2007, 03:24 PM
My earliest football memory was when mum took me down to Waverly to watch the dogs up against the Saints. Young Spider was running around with his golden locks and James Cook kicked a few. It was funny, after one goal Cook kicked he gave the one finger salute and to a 6y.o that was hilarious. I can still picture him doing that now...

always right
08-11-2007, 03:42 PM
At least VFL Park was close to home. One of my lasting memories of the god foresaken place though, was sitting at one end of the ground watching a kick seemingly sail through the goals at the other end...only to see it fall short by about 20 metres. Jeez that was a big ground where distance perception was a real challenge.

Of the other grounds, one of my fondest memories was my first little league game at Princes Park playing for Richmond. I later played for the dogs which wasn't a bad effort considering I grew up in Glen Waverley. Can't remember how dad wangled that. Anyway, I digress.

I remember a big crowd and we ended up winning. I came off and declared that I had amassed 14 kicks for the game. Not a bad effort considering the game went for 14 minutes. I was getting a kick a minute! Always did struggle with maths.

The other fond memory I have...no matter which venue we were playing at.....was arriving early to watch the reserves. How good did it used to be seeing young blokes coming through and noting which players had put themselves in line for senior selection the next week? Ah...memories.

LostDoggy
08-11-2007, 09:26 PM

Yes I remember Malcolm Fraser sitting in the John Gent Stand too, It was a Carlton game and the match from 1980. He was definitely there in 1980, so it was that year or another year that you saw him.

My old man yelled out- "G'day Mal' and he turned around and waved to my father, so I gave Big Mal 10 out of 10 for that. This was of course years before he was Memphis Mal.

Dry Rot
28-08-2009, 07:15 PM
With some of those memories of Victoria Park in another thread today, I thought it might be good timing to bump this thread for WOOFERS who have joined in the last 2 years.

Happy Days
28-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Only ever got to catch one game at Whitten Oval, the last one ever, against the Eagles in 1997.

Remember it being a bit wet that day, and the dirt from the standing room area getting all over my shoes. Also remember our boys bullying the then rookie Michael Gardiner. We had a good win and was a great day all round.

Also only caught a few games near the end of Waverly. Distinctly remember a Saints V Dogs game, but can't remember a result. I do remember it being tough too watch.

Optus Oval is much fresher in my mind. Was my favourite ground to go to as a kid, because I got to go to Dimmatina's restaurant before the game. One particular results that sticks out is a game against Port Adelaide; memorable because we lost and I was inconsolable afterwards. Also remember a game against Hawthorn; we were very, very far behind in the third quarter, when my dad decided that we should call it a day. After turning on the radio to find out we had come back and drawn, I haven't left a game early since. My memories were dampened a little after going there in 2004 for our last game there. Turns out it was quite a cramped, small stadium rather than the 'monolithic' structure I remembered from my much younger years.

ledge
28-08-2009, 08:15 PM
What about the house at Sth Melb on the boundary, how dangerous was that??

bornadog
28-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Did you know that Footscray played 7 games at Yarraville in 1942 and won 5 lost 2

1 Footscray 19.15 (129) vs Fitzroy 14.8 (92)
2 Footscray 20.17 (137) vs Hawthorn 9.4 (58)
3 Footscray 19.15 (129) vs Richmond 17.20 (122)
4 Footscray 19.17 (131) vs St Kilda 7.18 (60)
5 Footscray 7.3 (45) vs Sth Melb 11.9 (75)
6 Footscray 12.19 (91) vs Carlton 10.12 (72)
7 Footscray 12.16 (88) vs Essendon 14.8 (92)

BTW, I am not that old, its way before my time:D

Sockeye Salmon
28-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Also only caught a few games near the end of Waverly. Distinctly remember a Saints V Dogs game, but can't remember a result. I do remember it being tough too watch.

That was they day martin Bryant went beserk at Port Arthur.

I listened to the news reports for an hour and a half just trying to get out of the carpark.