PDA

View Full Version : What we need is...

MrMahatma
07-04-2012, 11:11 PM
....2 top 5 picks this year.

We have a couple of serious deficencies. Our FWD line is non-existent, and we lack polish. A couple of early picks this year (which we can and probably will get) could add to that.

I'm an optimist. Not such an optimist to think we'll win it this year - but optimistic enough to think that we could do something in a couple of years with the right drafting.

We won't tank. We shouldn't tank. But I think we'll be at the bottom end of the ladder because we won't kick a score very often. It could be the best thing for us.

LostDoggy
07-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Good luck with that. At the very least we are better than GWS,GCS,Melb and the Lions.
We also put in and don't look like tanking.
Two top 10s are more likely

GVGjr
07-04-2012, 11:19 PM
We won't tank. We shouldn't tank. But I think we'll be at the bottom end of the ladder because we won't kick a score very often. It could be the best thing for us.

The fact that talk like that is happening in round two is disappointing. Its almost Richmond like.

I won't consider where will finish and how that relates to the draft until much, much later in the season.

MrMahatma
07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
The fact that talk like that is happening in round two is disappointing. Its almost Richmond like.

I won't consider where will finish and how that relates to the draft until much, much later in the season.
Not at all. Couldn't fault the effort of the guys tonight. Our team structure looked good and to see us be able to pressure the opposition into turnovers was a big tick. Just what Macca has been talking about all pre-season. I just feel we just lack class. Class users of the ball. Perhaps that'll come with the current list, but class generally isn't taught. You have it or you don't.

bornadog
07-04-2012, 11:33 PM
What we need is... to keep developing this young list and getting games into them. In two weeks of footy, I have seen that we are capable of producing some very good tough football, but I agree we are struggling with kicking goals.

Mantis
07-04-2012, 11:50 PM
What we need is... to keep developing this young list and getting games into them. In two weeks of footy, I have seen that we are capable of producing some very good tough football, but I agree we are struggling with kicking goals.

So dropping Wallis helps this how?

Eastdog
07-04-2012, 11:52 PM

When do you think he will get a game?

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2012, 12:00 AM
It'll take 2-3 years of good drafting before we'll turn it around, but even then, it's no guarantee.

In 3-4 years time we'll be without Lake, Cross, Hargrave, Murphy, Giansiracusa and Boyd/Cooney will be older too.

I think it's more realistic to hope we'll challenge in 3-5 years.

Mantis
08-04-2012, 12:02 AM
When do you think he will get a game?

No time soon.

GVGjr
08-04-2012, 12:03 AM

Do we need to lock Wallis into a half back flank role for 3 or 4 weeks and see how he goes?
Giving him some continuity in his game of just one player to beat might assist him.

Mantis
08-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Do we need to lock Wallis into a half back flank role for 3 or 4 weeks and see how he goes?
Giving him some continuity in his game of just one player to beat might assist him.

No reason why not.

He has to be a better long term option than someone like Addison so why not play him in a similiar role.. If he isn't up to after the timeframe you have suggested then you play Addison, if he goes ok he stays in and perhaps gets some midfield action too.

LostDoggy
08-04-2012, 12:22 AM
....2 top 5 picks this year.

We have a couple of serious deficencies. Our FWD line is non-existent, and we lack polish. A couple of early picks this year (which we can and probably will get) could add to that.

I'm an optimist. Not such an optimist to think we'll win it this year - but optimistic enough to think that we could do something in a couple of years with the right drafting.

What we actually need is to just keep working hard with the list we have for 2012

Just forget about all the airy fairy wish upon a star draft pick debate until October

This is just Round 2 with a new coach

bornadog
08-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Part of the development.

LostDoggy
08-04-2012, 12:52 AM

Doesnt look up to it at this stage. Needs some time to mature at Willi. There are a few ahead of him at the moment.

jeemak
08-04-2012, 01:20 AM
To keep working hard on our pressure game, which showed tonight what can be achieved when comitted to slowing an opposition team's momentum.

Some players at Williamstown to put pressure on the senior team with solid performances, and a couple of Panos, Skinner and Cordy in particular to kick goals at that level to put their hands up to assist Jones and Grant in the senior team. Run and polish from Sherman, Tutt, Howard and Veszpremi will see them get an opportunity soon.

Constant effort and leadership from our senior core. Younger players develop and eventually flourish when a team is at least competitive, and for us to be competitive in most cases guys like Boyd, Griffen, Cooney, Lake, Murphy, Hargrave, Higgins, Minson and Giansiracusa need to play well. I look at Melbourne as a side that seems to have had talented players come into it over the last few years, without having a senior core setting the example and supporting them. We can't allow this to happen to us.

Good ball users who have pace to be picked up in this year's draft. We can debate whether guys like Smith, Liberatore, Wallis, Picken, Dahlhaus and Wood are bad kicks or servicable however, none of them are dangerous or damaging kicks. Being a serviceable kick is OK if you have damaging kicks around you. We simply need more players who are damaging by foot.

Before I Die
08-04-2012, 01:35 AM
What we actually need is to just keep working hard with the list we have for 2012

Just forget about all the airy fairy wish upon a star draft pick debate until October

This is just Round 2 with a new coach

Agree 100%

Though I thought the post lacked a commostrophe or two :D

Before I Die
08-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Not at all. Couldn't fault the effort of the guys tonight. Our team structure looked good and to see us be able to pressure the opposition into turnovers was a big tick. Just what Macca has been talking about all pre-season. I just feel we just lack class. Class users of the ball. Perhaps that'll come with the current list, but class generally isn't taught. You have it or you don't.

The exact same thing was being said about West Coast just two years ago. It only takes one or two quality users (perhaps a poor choice of words when referring to WC) to make a significant improvement in overall team disposal.

Fingers crossed for guys like Tutt, Howard, Veszpremi and Greenwood.

Greystache
08-04-2012, 03:30 AM

If he was a 4th round draft pick called Smith there'd be questions over whether he should be delisted, he should be viewed the same way as any other recruit that hasn't shown much, and that is as a marginal player.

Sockeye Salmon
08-04-2012, 10:33 AM
If he was a 4th round draft pick called Smith there'd be questions over whether he should be delisted, he should be viewed the same way as any other recruit that hasn't shown much, and that is as a marginal player.

If he was a 4th round draft pick who had already played 7 games we would be wrapped in him (eg. Scholfield before he went mad).

Dazza
08-04-2012, 12:49 PM
The loss of Schofield has hurt us. His disposal was great. Barely turned it over.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 01:02 PM
The loss of Schofield has hurt us. His disposal was great. Barely turned it over.

For sure. He actually could of added some value to the team. Not sure of the full story with what happened with him all I know is that he got delisted.

Greystache
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
If he was a 4th round draft pick who had already played 7 games we would be wrapped in him (eg. Scholfield before he went mad).

Rubbish. We'd be saying he's done well to get a few games but does he really have any upside, given he's already got a man's body and a big tank. Schofield clearly had huge upside but that's another conversation.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Rubbish. We'd be saying he's done well to get a few games but does he really have any upside, given he's already got a man's body and a big tank. Schofield clearly had huge upside but that's another conversation.

Everything with him as far as we all knew went well and he was going to continue to play. His reason I think he was homesick or something like that but I think there was more to it than simply that.

LostDoggy
08-04-2012, 01:11 PM
For sure. Jayden Schofield actually could of added some value to the team. Not sure of the full story with what happened with him all I know is that he got delisted.

Jayden was struggling with his relocation and just wasn,t adjusting to life in Melbourne , all of those issues are dealt with by the WellBeing Services Dept of the AFL Players Association , the Club tried to work through the issues with Jayden but he made the decision to leave

Its a big jolt for some young players , being away from family and friends everything that defines your comfort zone and who you are as a person

http://www.aflpa.com.au/our_services/development_and_wellbeing/wellbeing/

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Jayden was struggling with his relocation and just wasn,t adjusting to life in Melbourne , all of those issues are dealt with by the WellBeing Services Dept of the AFL Players Association , the Club tried to work through the issues with Jayden but he made the decision to leave

Its a big jolt for some young players , being away from family and friends everything that defines your comfort zone and who you are as a person

http://www.aflpa.com.au/our_services/development_and_wellbeing/wellbeing/

Thats true. Some of these players can do it and move away if necessary from there comfort zone and some can't do it at all. Thats just the way it is and from what you said West-Dog we did our best to keep him at the club but he comes down to what the player wants to do.

AndrewP6
08-04-2012, 01:45 PM
For sure. He actually could of added some value to the team. Not sure of the full story with what happened with him all I know is that he got delisted.

Had a bad case of boredom, apparently :eek:

Theres a new thread on it somewhere, sorry can't post the link on my phone (probably can, just too lazy!)

ledge
08-04-2012, 03:17 PM
What I dont get is didnt he just sign a new contract with us?
Also what makes him think playing at another club he wont get homesick again?

AndrewP6
08-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Also what makes him think playing at another club he wont get homesickagain?

Bored :)

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2012, 04:29 PM
And yet now he has magically recovered and is ready to resume an AFL career.

Stuff Schofield, I hope nobody picks him up.

ledge
08-04-2012, 07:03 PM
The AFL would want to make sure it wasnt just a trick to stay in WA.
Open a can of worms.

Ghost Dog
08-04-2012, 07:17 PM
The AFL would want to make sure it wasnt just a trick to stay in WA.
Open a can of worms.

Should we raise the issue?

ledge
08-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Should we raise the issue?

If he goes in draft yes.

The Coon Dog
08-04-2012, 07:32 PM
If he goes in draft yes.

Why? We delisted him. Once we do that we have no rights over him whatsoever.

GVGjr
08-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Also what makes him think playing at another club he wont get homesick again?

He had a two year deal and couldn't honor it. He's basically now wanting to be drafted by one of the WA sides.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
He had a two year deal and couldn't honor it. He's basically now wanting to be drafted by one of the WA sides.

It happened just all of sudden when he decided to part ways. No one saw it coming. Do you think GVG that it was a loss for us.

GVGjr
08-04-2012, 08:23 PM
It happened just all of sudden when he decided to part ways. No one saw it coming. Do you think GVG that it was a loss for us.

Because of his pace and his kicking he could certainly play the game but had trouble doing the team orientated things preferring to play on his own terms. I think he has something to offer but he needs to mature a bit first.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Because of his pace and his kicking he could certainly play the game but had trouble doing the team orientated things preferring to play on his own terms. I think he has something to offer but he needs to mature a bit first.

Do you think he'll play AFL again as that im guessing might be his plan. What we need I think is a forward target. How did Panos go for Willy today.

Desipura
08-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Do you think he'll play AFL again as that im guessing might be his plan. What we need I think is a forward target. How did Panos go for Willy today.

Try not to deviate from the topic Eastdog. There is a separate title for Willi games.

AndrewP6
08-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Try not to deviate from the topic Eastdog. There is a separate title for Willi games.

In Eastdog's defence, the thread is about what we need. He could be thinking Panos is what we need. :)

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Sorry to go a bit away from the topic but as Andrew said I just suggested that maybe Panos could be an option.

Desipura
08-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Sorry to go a bit away from the topic but as Andrew said I just suggested that maybe Panos could be an option.

My apologies mate.

Eastdog
08-04-2012, 10:20 PM
My apologies mate.

That's alright.

Mantis
08-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Get a room.

Hotdog60
08-04-2012, 11:49 PM
That's what I like about WOOF, it's so warm and fuzzy...

LostDoggy
09-04-2012, 12:00 AM

Unfortunately for Matty he's being used as defender for Willi at the moment , its been a while since he played as a KP forward and slotted a bag

At the moment what we need is for both Minson and Roughead to make an impact up forward and on the scoreboard , if they both average a goal a game I,d be happy with that

Eastdog
09-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Unfortunately for Matty he's being used as defender for Willi at the moment , its been a while since he played as a KP forward and slotted a bag

At the moment what we need is for both Minson and Roughead to make an impact up forward and on the scoreboard , if they both average a goal a game I,d be happy with that

What did you make of Minson our number one ruck mans game last night.

LostDoggy
09-04-2012, 12:12 AM
What did you make of Minson our number one ruck mans game last night.

Both Minson and Roughead are doing a serviceable job but they are just not making enough impact up forward , between them they had 6 contested possessions, 0 marks inside 50, 0 contested marks , 1 goal

What we need is for both of them to take on more responsibility for what they are not contributing

Sockeye Salmon
09-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Both Minson and Roughead are doing a serviceable job but they are just not making enough impact up forward , between them they had 6 contested possessions, 0 marks inside 50, 0 contested marks , 1 goal

What we need is for both of them to take on more responsibility for what they are not contributing

Roughie kicked his goal from a mark inside 50

Eastdog
09-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Both Minson and Roughhead are doing a serviceable job but they are just not making enough impact up forward , between them they had 6 contested possessions, 0 marks inside 50, 0 contested marks , 1 goal

From those stats clearly they need to contribute a lot more. What was the main reason we came back? I think it was the midfield that got us back into it.

LostDoggy
09-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Roughie kicked his goal from a mark inside 50

After I posted that I thought I missed one , the stats are a bit hard to read , this thirsty is making me rum

What we might need is a coffee ( later )

LostDoggy
09-04-2012, 12:30 AM
From those stats clearly they need to contribute a lot more. What was the main reason we came back? I think it was the midfield that got us back into it.

From what we have seen so far is that Macca,s game plan is to overload the midfield and only use two forwards and a rotating ruckman , its a balance that is going to mean our scoring will fluctuate depending on how well our midfield can control the ball and push forward and kick goals
We dont have a player like Gilbee in form who can drag an opponent forward and slot one from 50m
We dont have Barry Hall
What we do have is a new solid game plan which the players have to adapt to and at the moment Minson and Roughead have a vital role in providing a target up forward when the time comes and they both need to get with the program

FrediKanoute
09-04-2012, 01:14 AM

Have to agree. We have been competitive in both games and beaten more through poor execution than anything else. Our 2nd half of the year will be better than our first. Bottom 5 maybe, but I expect daylight between us and the bottom 4.

FrediKanoute
09-04-2012, 01:18 AM

Given that his old man ended up a defender is it such a surprise that Wally Jnr will end up in the back half? He has a good football brain, but is just a little slow (not unlike his old man). To me, Addison is a hard nut with little or no ability to win the ball and influence a game, Wally jnr I think will at least be a better long term prospect off half back or in the back pocket.

Sockeye Salmon
09-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Given that his old man ended up a defender is it such a surprise that Wally Jnr will end up in the back half? He has a good football brain, but is just a little slow (not unlike his old man). To me, Addison is a hard nut with little or no ability to win the ball and influence a game, Wally jnr I think will at least be a better long term prospect off half back or in the back pocket.

What has his old man got to do with it?

Cordy to the HBF?

ledge
09-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Cordy to the HBF?

Well he wouldnt be here if it wasnt for his old man, apart from that:D

Bumper Bulldogs
09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Back on track, I think we just need a win, Yes that will inject a heap of confidence into the players and coaching staff. I know we have a new game plan, new kids. but remember there is nothing like a win to get pumped about. I feel that we may not get over the Saints this week but after that we have a good run with sides we can beat,

Don't panic we are far better than the W.coast flogging and it could have easy been a different result against the Crows. The boys have shown a bit and each game i can see improvement in the team.

Ghost Dog
09-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Wallis Jnr hasn't played that bad has he? His disposal has been weak, but Boyd had a shocker of a game disposal wise and rebounded. Wally looks like a born in and under player. All for mixing it, but see this as a bad call. Why not persist with his development and give him a few games to cut his teeth?

FrediKanoute
09-04-2012, 07:32 PM

Cordy to the HBF?

Call it genetics, but I see a lot of similarities in they way Wally Jnr executes the basic skills of the game that are just like Wally Snr.

a) Wally Snr was a serviceable kick; he had an awkward kicking action; struggled to get any distance/penetration. Wally Jnr is the same.

b) Wally Snr was not overly blessed with pace; Wally Jnr is the same.

c) Wally Snr read the play extremely well and got into good positions, especially as a backman. One of the original generators off half back (credit Malthouse with that one); Wally Jnr also reads the play well, just at the moment he is struggling with a tank and the pace of the game.

d) Wally Snr was hard and willing to put his head over the ball; I'm yet to se Wally Jnr shirk a contest, but the kind of hardness that Wally Snr has requires multiple pre-seasons and a hardening of the body; Wally Jnr needs time.

Dog54
09-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Wallis Jnr hasn't played that bad has he? His disposal has been weak, but Boyd had a shocker of a game disposal wise and rebounded. Wally looks like a born in and under player. All for mixing it, but see this as a bad call. Why not persist with his development and give him a few games to cut his teeth?

Does anyone no if the dogs have the decision making software in the elite learning centre ? I have seen Hawthorn use this it is computer based on a huge screen and the play unfolds and the player needs to make right decision.... I think you can improve your poise and decision making. We should be working with a few of our players including allies and clay smith

FrediKanoute
09-04-2012, 07:36 PM

I agree, he needs time. Whether that is at Willy or in the seniors depends on form and contribution. I like the idea of a back flank because we already have developing, Libba and Smith.

bornadog
10-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Does anyone no if the dogs have the decision making software in the elite learning centre ? I have seen Hawthorn use this it is computer based on a huge screen and the play unfolds and the player needs to make right decision.... I think you can improve your poise and decision making. We should be working with a few of our players including allies and clay smith

Pretty sure the club does.

Scraggers
10-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Back to the OPs question ... What we need is time !!

To think this is not a rebuild is a joke ... we have a whole new structure, a new coach, and a large number of players who have played only a handful of games.

The only thing that is going to fix any of this is time ... IMO we have the cattle, just not the experience.

ledge
10-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Back to the OPs question ... What we need is time !!

To think this is not a rebuild is a joke ... we have a whole new structure, a new coach, and a large number of players who have played only a handful of games.

The only thing that is going to fix any of this is time ... IMO we have the cattle, just not the experience.

Not too sure about that one, Macca said we were doing a lot right anyway before he came.
Its not a complete rebuild i dont think, just the coach learning about players and visa versa.

Eade wasnt too bad in looking forward he always looked at what year a player would retire and a player to replace them when it happened.

Your right the cattle isnt too bad and we would be nowhere near the worst club for a new coach to come into.