PDA

View Full Version : Be like Bartel: McCartney

bornadog
10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
By Callum Twomey (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132645/default.aspx)

IN ATTEMPTS to illustrate how he wants the Western Bulldogs to play their football, new coach Brendan McCartney showed his players vision of champion Geelong midfielder Jimmy Bartel over the pre-season.

McCartney spent 11 years as an assistant coach at Geelong before crossing to Essendon for one season and then winning the Bulldogs' top job.

But his admiration for the Cats clearly remains strong, with the Brownlow and Norm Smith medallist one of several Cats players McCartney chose to highlight as he strives to implement a revised game style at the Bulldogs.

"We've seen a little bit of vision over the pre-season of the way we would like to be seen to be playing [our football] in the future, and Jimmy Bartel has shown the way in big games to go about it," Bulldogs midfielder Shaun Higgins told SEN on Tuesday.

"There were a couple of clips we saw of him, but not just him - there were more Geelong players. [They're] the benchmark of the competition.

"We've sat down and had a good look at that and hopefully the younger players, and all of us, can learn a little bit from that."

Higgins said he watched Monday's encounter between Geelong and Hawthorn, and was impressed by the Cats' resolve to stay in the game when it appeared the Hawks had established a match-winning lead. The reigning premiers provide some lessons for the Bulldogs, he said.

"[Just] the ability for Geelong to win those close games and always stay in the contest and find a way," Higgins said.

"Teams have done it against us and we'd like to get to the stage where we're that side doing it to other teams. And with the things we've put in place with 'Macca', the boys have got full confidence that we'll get there eventually."

The Bulldogs almost snatched their first win of the year on Saturday night against Adelaide but were overrun by the Crows in the final quarter. Higgins said the performance had given the club some confidence, despite the final result.

"When you get yourself in a winning position halfway through the last quarter, especially at AAMI Stadium, you want to come away with a win," Higgins said.

"But you look at the bigger picture and the things we've put in place since Macca arrived in November, it was definitely a step forward. But we're still desperate to get that first win."

Callum Twomey is a reporter for AFL Media. Follow him on Twitter at @AFL_CalTwomey.

LostDoggy
10-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Great call. Bartel is my big-time man-crush and my absolute favourite active player from another club.

Stands up everytime there is a need to, and everything he does just reeks of quality, but not in a showy, Cyril/Buddy way, even though they are equally super-influential and game-changing. Is as hard as nails but never makes a fuss about it -- just looks like another day at the office when he does crazy stuff that other players would be lauded for.. very Chris Grant-like in that way.

He has been as key to Geelong's domination as anyone else over the past 5 years. I don't know if such a popular player can be underrated, but I think he doesn't get anywhere near the same kudos as some more flashy players as he should. If we could take one player from any club, he would be my first pick over a lot of other more high-profile names.

Ozza
10-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Great call. Bartel is my big-time man-crush and my absolute favourite active player from another club.

Stands up everytime there is a need to, and everything he does just reeks of quality, but not in a showy, Cyril/Buddy way, even though they are equally super-influential and game-changing. Is as hard as nails but never makes a fuss about it -- just looks like another day at the office when he does crazy stuff that other players would be lauded for.. very Chris Grant-like in that way.

He has been as key to Geelong's domination as anyone else over the past 5 years. I don't know if such a popular player can be underrated, but I think he doesn't get anywhere near the same kudos as some more flashy players as he should. If we could take one player from any club, he would be my first pick over a lot of other more high-profile names.

Exactly the way I feel about Bartel. Absolute champion, a winner - and a great example to show that you don't have to be either tall & Athletic, super quick, or an 'elite kick' to be a super footballer. He is just an all round great, courageous footballer who does the right things in every contest, and makes great decisions with the ball.

Topdog
10-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Easy to say be like Bartel, surely that kind of message has been said before.

Quite another thing to perform like him. He is the anti Lebron James.

westdog54
12-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Easy to say be like Bartel, surely that kind of message has been said before.

Quite another thing to perform like him. He is the anti Lebron James.

I love it.

Its hard not to like Bartel isn't it? The first time I sat up and noticed him was when he took a screamer against us running with the flight of the ball into a pack of about 4 or 5, was magnificent to watch. If Selwood's knees weren't so wobbly I think he'd be the most talked about midfielder at the Cattery.

Desipura
13-04-2012, 09:01 AM
I think B Mac is talking more about how Bartel trains and prepares himself rather than just playing like him.

westdog54
13-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I think B Mac is talking more about how Bartel trains and prepares himself rather than just playing like him.

That's not how I read it:

By Callum Twomey (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132645/default.aspx)

IN ATTEMPTS to illustrate how he wants the Western Bulldogs to play their football, new coach Brendan McCartney showed his players vision of champion Geelong midfielder Jimmy Bartel over the pre-season.

"We've seen a little bit of vision over the pre-season of the way we would like to be seen to be playing [our football] in the future, and Jimmy Bartel has shown the way in big games to go about it," Bulldogs midfielder Shaun Higgins told SEN on Tuesday.

"There were a couple of clips we saw of him, but not just him - there were more Geelong players. [They're] the benchmark of the competition.

"We've sat down and had a good look at that and hopefully the younger players, and all of us, can learn a little bit from that."

Callum Twomey is a reporter for AFL Media. Follow him on Twitter at @AFL_CalTwomey.

Topdog
13-04-2012, 06:41 PM
yep the big game part was the reason for my anti LBJ comment.