PDA

View Full Version : Dogs play their Ayce

bornadog
13-04-2012, 03:11 PM
link here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/WesternBulldogsNewsFeatures/NewsArticle/tabid/4112/newsId/132934/Default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/cordy240a.jpg

Father-son selection Ayce Cordy has been given his first senior call up for Season 2012 after a string of impressive performances in the opening rounds of the VFL.

The versatile key position player will make his third senior AFL appearance for the Western Bulldogs on Saturday against St Kilda in the only change to the Dogs line-up.

Assistant Coach Brett Montgomery said Cordy is highly deserving of the elevation into the senior squad after a solid effort in the VFL shouldering the bulk of the ruck duties and looking dangerous in the forward line.

“Ayce has been battling away at VFL level and very much deserves his opportunity,” Montgomery said.

“What Ayce brings to the team is he brings great flexibility.”

He is a 200centimetre plus player - he can play back… he is very, very important for us around the midfield both in the ruck and at ground level and can probably give us another dynamic up forward as a tall.

ratsmac
13-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Love the headline. I will love the headlines more if he boots 5.

LostDoggy
14-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Love the headline. I will love the headlines more if he boots 5.

Finally Ayce may get a chance, unlike with Rocket

jeemak
14-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Finally Ayce may get a chance, unlike with Rocket

Ayce was always going to have a tough time last year under Rocket, as the latter was still trying to make finals to his death rather than developing players. In previous years Ayce wasn't up to it, physically.

Glad he's getting his chance. I've been hoping for a few weeks that he'd form a part of our side as a forward who at a pinch can play in the ruck. Our forward line structure needs to be about development this year, and Jones needs another big body or taller player there to help him out, and our midfielders need a person to kick to when Jones and Grant don't make position due to inexperience and fitness.

bornadog
14-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Ayce was always going to have a tough time last year under Rocket, as the latter was still trying to make finals to his death rather than developing players. In previous years Ayce wasn't up to it, physically.

That's an unfair statement considering we debuted 10 plus new players in 2011.

jeemak
14-04-2012, 01:05 AM
That's an unfair statement considering we debuted 10 plus new players in 2011.

Yeah, potentially. I'm a Rocket fan, and I don't have too many issues with the way he managed our senior side last year, and I'll concede he did debut a significant number of players. I'd be stupid not to of course, as the numbers speak for themselves.

Having said that, he definitely didn't have a development or rebuild mindset to his coaching. With Aker, Hahn, Johnson, Cooney, Eagleton, Lake and Hargrave all having been absent from the side consistently due to injury, or retirement (plus Harbrow's departure to GC) his hand was forced somewhat.

bornadog
15-04-2012, 02:35 PM
I hope Cordy is not dropped after one game. He needs a few games to get use to the pace of the AFL.