PDA

View Full Version : Round 3 - 'Angels' and Sinners

westdog54
14-04-2012, 12:44 AM
This is the 3rd edition of the weekly "Saints and Sinners" thread, slightly modified for the occasion. Once the game against StKilda is concluded post your nominations for no more than three "Angels", who did something positive that caught your eye, and three "sinners", who are in your scopes for criticism. Try and make it constructive criticism.

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions.

LostDoggy
14-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Positives/ Optimists - All the fans who came thinking/ hoping they would get their moneys worth

Negatives - Brian Lake probably out for two to three weeks for striking

Negatives - A truly unacceptable performance after two games of building some positives , one step forward three steps back

bornadog
14-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Positives/ Optimists - All the fans who came thinking/ hoping they would get their moneys worth

Negatives - Brian Lake probably out for two to three weeks for striking

Negatives - A truly unacceptable performance after two games of building some positives , one step forward three steps back

There was nothing in the Lake incident

Hotdog60
14-04-2012, 11:27 PM

Maybe not be he did clip him across the chin and from one replay it didn't look good.

FrediKanoute
14-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Positives - Cordy - never gave up and showed a bit; Boyd 40 possessions in a losing team; Dahlhaus never stopped trying.

Negatives - everything else about the game.....too much left to too few.

jazzadogs
14-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Judging from TV or being at the game? IMO (from the vision) blatantly punched him in the chin...was aiming for upper chest, but hit chin and that's all that MRP will care about. Silly by Brian.

Remi Moses
14-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Positives - Cordy - never gave up and showed a bit; Boyd 40 possessions in a losing team; Dahlhaus never stopped trying.

Negatives - everything else about the game.....too much left to too few.

Agree, hopefully they persevere with Ayce

Negatives - where do you start?
It's all very well having tough hard at it players, but you still have to have decent kicking .
Is there any composure with our players?
Looked like they were playing hot potato

Bumper Bulldogs
14-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Positive was Dalhouse,

I thought that Marko played Ok, Lake until that report, Cross did Ok on Goddard,

Smith, Picken and Addison tried all night.

Negatives was the coaching for me, why leave Murphy playing deep all night on Milne, we needed him higher up the ground to give us ball movement. Again also the field kicking ino the forward line, we gave Jones and Cordy no assistance at all with any licks to advantage

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Positive, Dahlhaus and Markovic and after that I'm reaching for something positive...... some more game time into Cordy and I thought Roughy showed glimpses.

Negative: the team's abyssmal kicking -best exemplified by Clay Smith, Shaggy and pretty much anyone else who tried to send the ball inside our forward 50.

Also Libba had a complete shocker, barely sighted him. Whoever was on him did a total number on him.

Sedat
14-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Boyd 40 possessions in a losing teamThe only possessions I remember from Boyd tonight were the 7-8 scrubbed tyrnover kicks and the turnover handball in St Kilda's goal square that gifted them a goal. I've seen him rack up big numbers and influence a contest - tonight St Kilda were delighted to see the ball in his hands as often as it was.

Angels - Markovic and Addison. Both earned their keep.

Sinners - Smith's kicking (just have this in as a weekly sinner)

Mofra
14-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Positives:
- I was pleased with Cordy, clearly overtaken Roughead
- Cooney did ok, still uses the ball better than almost anyone else in our side
- Thought Addison wasn't too bad
- Minson had a truckoad of clearances

Negatives:
- Pretty much everything else
- Special mention to our delivery into the F50. I don't think I've seen VFL sides kick that poorly

LostDoggy
15-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Negatives:
We just have not game plan when we have the ball from the centre going forward. How many times did we kick it to a 3 on 1, having no option coming out of half back, lacking numbers around the ball at centre bounces....

GVGjr
15-04-2012, 12:24 AM
I liked the smothers in the first quarter by both Cross and Dahlhaus. We seemed to do a few for the game not counting Roughead smothering the ball with his face.

LostDoggy
15-04-2012, 12:26 AM
I liked the smothers in the first quarter by both Cross and Dahlhaus. We seemed to do a few for the game not counting Roughead smothering the ball with his face.

The Roughman did that twice I think , positive action with a negative result

The Bulldogs Bite
15-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Positives:
- Squires Loft dinner.

Negatives:
- Everything else.

Maybe I see things differently, but Cooney was extremely poor. I also thought Cordy was poor. He presented, but he never really jumped/tried to actually take the mark. He kept trying to engage with his opponent, who was half the size he was, and yet still couldn't out-mark him. Not going to burn the kid, especially on a night like this, but he wasn't a postivie IMO.

Jones is really, really, really struggling.

Wood and Hargrave couldn't be more out of form.

Rocco Jones
15-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Maybe I see things differently, but Cooney was extremely poor. I also thought Cordy was poor. He presented, but he never really jumped/tried to actually take the mark. He kept trying to engage with his opponent, who was half the size he was, and yet still couldn't out-mark him. Not going to burn the kid, especially on a night like this, but he wasn't a postivie IMO.

Having 3 players who are at the very least primary ruckmen is a very, very stupid decision in the modern game. Tolerable when it comes from posters on the internet but flat out unacceptable from actual professionals.

Minson= old school ruckman who should only play forward if we desperate need to rest others.
Roughead= learning his craft but primarily a ruckman who really struggles to have influence anywhere atm to be honest
Cordy= a bit line ball in ability to play ruck/elsewhere but definitely a 2nd ruck and definitely NOT warranting selection outside of any ruck work.

It's not 1986...

always right
15-04-2012, 01:21 AM
No saints for mine but plenty of sinners. Most disappointing of all was Griffen. Appeared to accept his lot very early in the game. All just too hard tonight for Griff I'm afraid.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Angels

Doll House - at least something looks like happening when he goes near it
Boyd - everywhere again, trying his guts out. Needs some help in the middle.

Sinners

Higgins - not enough intensity. Watched him a few times tonight closely and just doesn't give enough.
Libba - can't get his hands on it at the moment and not clean when he does
Griff - maybe the finger is troubling him, but zero spark tonight.

bornadog
15-04-2012, 01:37 AM
No saints for mine but plenty of sinners. Most disappointing of all was Griffen. Appeared to accept his lot very early in the game. All just too hard tonight for Griff I'm afraid.

I think he was tagged out of the game tonight.

bornadog
15-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Judging from TV or being at the game? IMO (from the vision) blatantly punched him in the chin...was aiming for upper chest, but hit chin and that's all that MRP will care about. Silly by Brian.

I was at the game. He may get points but it was low impact and didn't hurt the player.

AndrewP6
15-04-2012, 02:46 AM
Angels - Dahlhaus. What an indictment on our list that this young kid is one of few who constantly gives his all. Hardly a perfect player, but just keeps at it and does what he can to make an impact.

Thats all I can think of. Maybe mention to Coons, who I thought made some good runs (balanced out with some horrendous kicks :eek:

Sinners. Jeez, where do you start. I'm going to single out McCartney here, I get the contested ball bit, but ffs, do you just not bother with skills? They were bad last year, they're worse now.

AndrewP6
15-04-2012, 02:48 AM
I was at the game. He may get points but it was low impact and didn't hurt the player.

True. I didn't think it was all that bad.

Remi Moses
15-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Positives- Dahlhaus ( just getting better, one of the few who can take the game on)
Marko- ( thought he was valiant on the Diving cheat, got his usual charity free kick)
The Draft- could be our highlight of the season( please get some polish in Pleeeease!) we all get the contested ball stuff, but it's pointless if you give the ball up!!

Negatives- Cooney- he's not even the shadow of his former self( lost 10yards pace)
Forwards- I actually empathize with any forward getting that slap shot kick into the forward 50! I don't know whether Liam Jones knows whether he's a lead up forward or deep forward. We badly need that hit up forward badly

Evel
15-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Positives

- Dahlhaus. Quickly becoming one of our most important players.
- DJ for showing some spark when subbed on.
- Liam Jones kicking a goal with his only set shot.

Negatives

- Losing count of how many times Wood got caught with the ball.
- Players that scrub the ball when trying to make a pass under no pressure. Grant, Boyd and Smith I'm looking at you.
- Something like 12 losses in 15 games against the Saints. Starting to get annoying now, they're not that good these days.

Hotdog60
15-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Positives

- Dahlhaus. Quickly becoming one of our most important players.
-

It won't be long before he will be coping a very good tag, teams will work out he generates a bit of drive and it will be interestng to see how he copes.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-04-2012, 09:32 AM

He'll get weeks for sure, brain fade that Rocket has expereanced any times before.

After Balantine/Scarlet he will op a few.

F'scary
15-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I caught the game on 3AW. I couldn't listen after about 15 minutes into the 2nd quarter. Too painful. Will be following analysis here with interest.

The good: you can turn your radio off.

The bad: We appear to have a real weakness forward of the centre. The delivery is poor in terms of technical execution. There appears to be little structure or agreement with what to do when going forward (which would exacerbate and even cause the delivery skills issue). The forward line as a whole seems to offer little threat to the opposition.

The ugly: this really hurt because I don't rate the Saints. We got towelled by a side that I thought we were about level with.

Also, tip: can we please get rid of the St Kilda references in the name of this thread?;)

LostDoggy
15-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Positive

The very little experience Luke Dalhaus actually has and the experience he shows out on that field.

Negative

Fans leaving within the first 5 minutes of the last quarter. S***s me to tears, stand by your team no matter what, they want your support on top of your attendance. This goes for any flogs who rip through the players when their leaving the ground (ala Richmond fans).

Ill put a positive in a bit later...when I can think of one.

chef
15-04-2012, 10:42 AM

Looked the same as the Scarlett incident only this time the recipient didn't take a dive after he was clipped on the chin. IMO Brian's going to be missing a least a week.

always right
15-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Looked the same as the Scarlett incident only this time the recipient didn't take a dive after he was clipped on the chin. IMO Brian's going to be missing a least a week.

The club should fine him. What an unnecessary, weak and selfish act. Has now put even more pressure on his fellow defenders to cover for his absence. Well done Brian.

westdog54
15-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I caught the game on 3AW. I couldn't listen after about 15 minutes into the 2nd quarter. Too painful. Will be following analysis here with interest.

The good: you can turn your radio off.

The bad: We appear to have a real weakness forward of the centre. The delivery is poor in terms of technical execution. There appears to be little structure or agreement with what to do when going forward (which would exacerbate and even cause the delivery skills issue). The forward line as a whole seems to offer little threat to the opposition.

The ugly: this really hurt because I don't rate the Saints. We got towelled by a side that I thought we were about level with.

Also, tip: can we please get rid of the St Kilda references in the name of this thread?;)

The alternative was Angels and Demons. I thought Saints and Sinners had more of a ring to it. :)

Maddog37
15-04-2012, 12:57 PM
After last night maybe it should be shizen and more shizen.

AndrewP6
15-04-2012, 01:01 PM
The alternative was Angels and Demons. I thought Saints and Sinners had more of a ring to it. :)

I liked Slaps and Sledges las year.

azabob
15-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I liked Slaps and Sledges las year.

Agree.

bornadog
15-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Angels:

* Dahlhaus - tried his guts out and in the end tried to do it all himself - needs to improve his kicking but he is a beauty

* Addison - Even though I have not been a fan of his, I thought he played well last night.

Angel and Sinner:

* Boyd - Never stops giving and picking up 39 disposals in a woeful team effort is pretty good. Sinner for only 59% efficiency, and with half his disposals as handballs, kicks must have been 20% efficiency.

Sinners: The team effort, one of the worst performances at Eithad I have ever seen. One goal in a half and one more till about the 20 min mark of the last quarter when the Saints started cruising.

AndrewP6
15-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Angels:
* Boyd - Never stops giving and picking up 39 disposals in a woeful team effort is pretty good. Sinner for only 59% efficiency, and with half his disposals as handballs, kicks must have been 20% efficiency.

He isn't damaging with the possessions he gets, either.

Hotdog60
15-04-2012, 02:41 PM

That goal to St Kilda was pretty damaging:D

LostDoggy
15-04-2012, 03:49 PM

WE have been saying the same for three years about his possessions. Unfortunately we have two senior players who rack up zillions of possessions but they dont damage the opposition with them .... and quite often help the opposition.

Somehow though, we appear to be the only one that see this happen week in and week out ..... because we never ever hear anything from the coaching staff.

F'scary
15-04-2012, 04:06 PM
After last night maybe it should be shizen and more shizen.

seconded.

Mantis
15-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Angels:

Markovic - Played against someone he wasn't suited to play on, but battled away manfully.

Murf - Kept the tiprat pretty quiet

Sinners:

Hargrave - Some say we missed him last year, all we missed were the endless turnovers. Has no composure in defence, his kick to the Saints player 50m in the clear the classic example, perhaps he plays at HF?

Gia- shocking, absolutely no impact.

Boyd - won some clearances and took some nice marks, but gave the ball away way too easily. Classic one way player now.

Accountability - showed Goddard, Hayes & Montagna very little respect early on and they torched us. Our new coaching team obviously didn't watch the tapes of our previous encounters.

Griffen - got worked over too easily by a cheat. Goddard shows anager at close checking tactics, you just except it.

Sedat
15-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Sinners:
Griffen - got worked over too easily by a cheat.Many of us on 'WOOF', as far back as early 2009, have been going on about how Griff's teammates should terrorise the cheat physically for 120 minutes by smashing into him and beating him to a pulp at every stoppage. Again last night our mids did not provide any protection for our genuine danger mids (Coons and Griff). It is absurd to me that we don't block and clear space for our best midfielders to exploit, instead see it in the hands of our least dangerous mids (from a disposal perspective). You see the likes of Judd and Ablett always being protected by their midfield comrades whenever possible and yet we never seem to do this for Griff and Coons.

Greystache
15-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Many of us on 'WOOF', as far back as early 2009, have been going on about how Griff's teammates should terrorise the cheat physically for 120 minutes by smashing into him and beating him to a pulp at every stoppage. Again last night our mids did not provide any protection for our genuine danger mids (Coons and Griff). It is absurd to me that we don't block and clear space for our best midfielders to exploit, instead see it in the hands of our least dangerous mids (from a disposal perspective). You see the likes of Judd and Ablett always being protected by their midfield comrades whenever possible and yet we never seem to do this for Griff and Coons.

It could be an issue that the individuals in our midfield group have differing opinions about who are our most dangerous mids. Perhaps Boyd thinks Griffen and Cooney should be blocking for him, and that doing the unrewarded grunt work is beneath him

Sedat
15-04-2012, 10:20 PM
It could be an issue that the individuals in our midfield group have differing opinions about who are our most dangerous mids. Perhaps Boyd thinks Griffen and Cooney should be blocking for him, and that doing the unrewarded grunt work is beneath himWhatever is best for the team - if it is good enough for Bartel to sacrifice his natural game and lock down on a rampant Lenny Hayes at qtr time in the 2009 GF, the likes of Boyd can lay a few blocks to free up clearly more dangerous midfield teammates.

SlimPickens
15-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Sinners-
Shaggy- decisions, ball use terrible.
Forward Entries- I'm sick and tired of this bombing it in to a contest crap that we continue to serve up. Just the odd to advantage would be welcomed.
Boyd- after a much improved game last week he went back to some of his old tricks. That handball in the goal square was disgusting.

Angels-
Marco thought he played a good game on Riewoldt
Dahl- just because
Grant- was surprised at how effective some of his defensive work was.

Bloody hard to come up with 3 Angels

Sedat
15-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Boyd- after a much improved game last week he went back to some of his old tricks.He got sub 30 possessions last week, but got them in dangerous areas. Give me these matches from Boyd every week, rather than his 40+ possession games where more than half of them are scrubbed out of a congested situation to negligable benefit to the team, or are flat-out turned over to the opposition.

Boyd getting it 40+ times = very happy opposition coaching panel. Griffen getting it 30+ times = Dogs win. I remember the 2008 QF against Hawthorn. Cross got it 39 times, Hodge got it 20 - Hodge was 2nd best on ground and had a massive influence on the result.

SlimPickens
15-04-2012, 11:15 PM
He got sub 30 possessions last week, but got them in dangerous areas. Give me these matches from Boyd every week, rather than his 40+ possession games where more than half of them are scrubbed out of a congested situation to negligable benefit to the team, or are flat-out turned over to the opposition.

Boyd getting it 40+ times = very happy opposition coaching panel. Griffen getting it 30+ times = Dogs win. I remember the 2008 QF against Hawthorn. Cross got it 39 times, Hodge got it 20 - Hodge was 2nd best on ground and had a massive influence on the result.

Agree 100%

always right
15-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystache
It could be an issue that the individuals in our midfield group have differing opinions about who are our most dangerous mids. Perhaps Boyd thinks Griffen and Cooney should be blocking for him, and that doing the unrewarded grunt work is beneath him

[QUOTE=Sedat;264200]Whatever is best for the team - if it is good enough for Bartel to sacrifice his natural game and lock down on a rampant Lenny Hayes at qtr time in the 2009 GF, the likes of Boyd can lay a few blocks to free up clearly more dangerous midfield teammates.

How in the space of two quotes did it become fact that Boyd believes "the unrewarded grunt work is beneath him"?

By all means be critical of players but this sort of mindless conclusion is just crap.

Greystache
15-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Angels

Markovic- Riewoldt towels us every time, this time he was a non-factor
Dahlhaus- wasn't great but gave us some spark

Sinners

Where to start...

Hargrave- he's played 194 games and has the composure of someone who's played 4
Forward 50m entries- I feel so sorry for Jones
Leaders- Cross, Gia, Boyd all no impact while St Kilda's senior players killed us.

Sedat
15-04-2012, 11:33 PM
How in the space of two quotes did it become fact that Boyd believes "the unrewarded grunt work is beneath him"?
Nobody can make that assertion as fact. But I personally find it vexing that our midfield group has never appeared to make it a priority to block and clear a path for our 2 most explosive and dangerous run and carry mids, Cooney and Griffen.

Greystache
15-04-2012, 11:35 PM
By all means be critical of players but this sort of mindless conclusion is just crap.

Have you got any thoughts of your own?

Every post is just a comment on other people's comments. Have you got something to contribute.

bornadog
15-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Nobody can make that assertion as fact. But I personally find it vexing that our midfield group has never appeared to make it a priority to block and clear a path for our 2 most explosive and dangerous run and carry mids, Cooney and Griffen.

How about Boyd getting some protection. He is the one in the bottom of packs working his butt off getting the ball, and everyone else stands around like lazy pricks expecting him to feed it to them. How about some bloody help for him??? How about looking at his game from his perspective, he is alone hand at the moment with nobody assisting.

The Underdog
16-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Angels:

Dahlhaus - for effort alone. He's the one guy who never seems to stop trying to get to the ball or the man he's chasing. He was more effective in the 1st half but still a shining light this season.

Grant - Thought he was clean with his hands, fairly efficient in his ball use and chased hard. Not amazing but the things he needs to do were there

Sinners:

Hargrave might hep us structurally but his ball use this season has been absolutely awful.

Defensive work at stoppages is terrible. We seem to put all out eggs in the basket of winning the contest and if we don't we're screwed.

Special mention to me for letting down Raw Toast in the last quarter...twice

Sedat
16-04-2012, 10:26 AM
How about Boyd getting some protection. He is the one in the bottom of packs working his butt off getting the ball, and everyone else stands around like lazy pricks expecting him to feed it to them. How about some bloody help for him??? How about looking at his game from his perspective, he is alone hand at the moment with nobody assisting.Actually we have 3-4 players diving in trying to win the contested ball, not just Boyd. Invariably whoever ends up winning possession has no-one to dish off to in close or to kick it to further up field. We probably get credited with a 'clearance' in these instances, even though it more than likely goes straight to the opposition, or best case, to another 50/50 not far from the original stoppage. By contrast our opponents have been far more penetrating with their clearances so far this season - St Kilda's clearances especially were clean, precise and penetrative, and more often than not resulted in a direct scoring opportunity for them.

Both Griffen and Cooney have no problem at all in winning their own ball so it's not as if they are purely outside players, but I sure as hell would much rather see the ball in Griff's or Cooney's hands streaming down the corridor with acres of space to hit a target further upfield, rather than in Boyd's or Cross'. I'm willing to bet that the opposition coaches would prefer the reverse.

Ozza
16-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Sinners:

Dahlhaus - for missing an easy shot in the first quarter which would have got us back to 2 goals each.

Cross - couldn't get within a bulls roar of Goddard when the game was up for grabs.

The coaches for deciding to have one extra in defence - leaving Fisher to run loose for them. Really counter productive stuff. Also - for not really trying anything when the game was being lost (or had been lost) - no Murphy forward, or a change to who was in the midfield rotations....our one move for the night was Hargrave to half forward after Fisher had already killed us - and Fisher didn't bother going near the innefectual Hargrave anyway.

Angels;

I quite often finish the game frustrated with Boyd when he's had tons of the ball and we've lost - but I thought he played well and worked hard all night.

Markovic battled manfully - albeit with help from our extra defender.

Ghost Dog
16-04-2012, 12:05 PM
The coach has stressed that senior players must look after their 'younger mates'. Yet to see this happening to the degree that I think we are a radically different team from last season. Worry about the development of Jones now that Barry has gone, and Brian's leadership down back has been very questionable.
The reportable act from Brian would have to put him in the 'sinners' category.

bornadog
16-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Actually we have 3-4 players diving in trying to win the contested ball, not just Boyd. Invariably whoever ends up winning possession has no-one to dish off to in close or to kick it to further up field. We probably get credited with a 'clearance' in these instances, even though it more than likely goes straight to the opposition, or best case, to another 50/50 not far from the original stoppage. By contrast our opponents have been far more penetrating with their clearances so far this season - St Kilda's clearances especially were clean, precise and penetrative, and more often than not resulted in a direct scoring opportunity for them.

Both Griffen and Cooney have no problem at all in winning their own ball so it's not as if they are purely outside players, but I sure as hell would much rather see the ball in Griff's or Cooney's hands streaming down the corridor with acres of space to hit a target further upfield, rather than in Boyd's or Cross'. I'm willing to bet that the opposition coaches would prefer the reverse.

Well we should be using the strengths of each player. Boyd = AFL number 1 in clearances. Let him do it and handball it out to Cooney, Griffen etc. Don't all go rushing in. Even Dahlhaus is on the bottom of packs.

Mantis
16-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Well we should be using the strengths of each player. Boyd = AFL number 1 in clearances. Let him do it and handball it out to Cooney, Griffen etc. Don't all go rushing in. Even Dahlhaus is on the bottom of packs.

But the buzz word coming out of the club is 'Get in' so I can't see the coach being too happy if the grunt work gets left to only a few.

bornadog
16-04-2012, 02:49 PM
But the buzz word coming out of the club is 'Get in' so I can't see the coach being too happy if the grunt work gets left to only a few.

and that is the problem. I was talking to Lin Jong at a function and asked him if he was an inside or outside player. He said he has been told he has to learn to get his own ball.

Sedat
16-04-2012, 02:56 PM
But the buzz word coming out of the club is 'Get in' so I can't see the coach being too happy if the grunt work gets left to only a few.We've been 'cracking in' all season so far and more than matched it with 3 teams who are very good in this area - even in Saturday night's abomination. Will be very interesting to see how our opponents structure up against us for the remainder of the season. Clearly St Kilda did a lot of homework and exploited us with ease on the weekend in terms of their stoppage positioning - they appeared to make it a key priority to pressure the next link in the chain, and forced numerous turnovers against us in the process.

bornadog
16-04-2012, 03:47 PM
We've been 'cracking in' all season so far and more than matched it with 3 teams who are very good in this area - even in Saturday night's abomination. Will be very interesting to see how our opponents structure up against us for the remainder of the season. Clearly St Kilda did a lot of homework and exploited us with ease on the weekend in terms of their stoppage positioning - they appeared to make it a key priority to pressure the next link in the chain, and forced numerous turnovers against us in the process.

They shut out our prime mover of the ball in the midfield, ie Griffen.

Currently, no Griffen, no Dogs.

AndrewP6
16-04-2012, 08:13 PM
and that is the problem. I was talking to Lin Jong at a function and asked him if he was an inside or outside player. He said he has been told he has to learn to get his own ball.

Agree, it seems to me that they've all over-focused (made up word!) on getting the pill, throwing the balance out.

jeemak
17-04-2012, 12:42 AM

I pesonally think that all developing players need to be taught to win their own ball. AFL is unforgiving to young outside players that can't get involved in the game, and it's not very often an Akermanis (or to a lesser extent an Eagleton) can come through without this aspect to the game. Not selling Akermanis short by any stretch of the imagination by the way, he was often a player who finished off the good work of the team however, when quiet he was able to find a way to influence the game when he wasn't getting it all his own way.

Putting yourself in the thick of things via applying defensive pressure or winning a contested ball here and there is the best way to remedy a quiet day at the office. I'd be fairly well pissed if a player like Jong was told to hang outside and wait for it to happen for him.

stefoid
17-04-2012, 09:21 AM
We've been 'cracking in' all season so far and more than matched it with 3 teams who are very good in this area - even in Saturday night's abomination. Will be very interesting to see how our opponents structure up against us for the remainder of the season. Clearly St Kilda did a lot of homework and exploited us with ease on the weekend in terms of their stoppage positioning - they appeared to make it a key priority to pressure the next link in the chain, and forced numerous turnovers against us in the process.

interesting

bornadog
17-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I pesonally think that all developing players need to be taught to win their own ball. AFL is unforgiving to young outside players that can't get involved in the game, and it's not very often an Akermanis (or to a lesser extent an Eagleton) can come through without this aspect to the game. Not selling Akermanis short by any stretch of the imagination by the way, he was often a player who finished off the good work of the team however, when quiet he was able to find a way to influence the game when he wasn't getting it all his own way.

Putting yourself in the thick of things via applying defensive pressure or winning a contested ball here and there is the best way to remedy a quiet day at the office. I'd be fairly well pissed if a player like Jong was told to hang outside and wait for it to happen for him.

Whilst I agree, we also have to play to our strengths and currently there are too many in and under players and no one spreading once we have the ball in hand.

jeemak
17-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Whilst I agree, we also have to play to our strengths and currently there are too many in and under players and no one spreading once we have the ball in hand.

No doubt, though I think there might be a few in line ahead of Jong to fulfil that role in the senior side.

LostDoggy
17-04-2012, 10:26 AM
By the 3rd quarter I thought I was at the Comedy Festival it was so 'funny'!!
Angels:
Grant did some very good chasing and catching.
Dahlhaus provided some spark - a shame when it's left to one of our youngest and smallest to do this and the ball is often kicked to him when he has a much taller opponent, but he still attacks it very manfully.
The umpire who corrected the 'senior' one and we got a rare free kick.
Sinners:
Too many to mention. Goal kicking was a real problem - even easy shots with no pressure.

bornadog
17-04-2012, 10:37 AM
No doubt, though I think there might be a few in line ahead of Jong to fulfil that role in the senior side.

Why are you mentioning Jong? I never said he should be in the seniors, he is an 18year old rookie playing Willi Resreves.:confused:

I just happen to sit next to him at a function.

We need to play Sherman, Tutt, Moles, when they are fit and ready.

always right
17-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Agree, it seems to me that they've all over-focused (made up word!) on getting the pill, throwing the balance out.

You may be right but I would be disappointed if we didn't educate all of our young players to win their own ball. It doesn't necessarily mean that they should only focus on their inside game.

I can imagine one of our coaches telling young blokes to play like Cooney (the old version) who has both sides of the game covered rather than someone like Didak.

BulldogBelle
17-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Sinners

Coaching staff
Playing one of our most important play makers (Murphy) far too deep on the Tip Rat

Coaching staff
Our midfield mix is completely wrong and unbalanced and way too inside focused

Coaching staff
Playing a man loose in defence constantly made Jones compete against 2 and sometimes 3 defenders on his own - not a way to develop confidence for a young forward

Midfield group
Not blocking and creating enough opportunities for our better users of the ball (in Cooney and Griffin)
Delivery into the forward line was crap - we had more Inside 50s than the Saints and only managed to kick 5 goals (including the 3 junk time goals)

Team in general
Our foot skills and decision making is woeful at times - back to basics

Hargrave
Could have played on the Tip Rat - his kicking was terrible and then playing him on the forward line indicated he is in trouble

Lake
You expect more from a 30 year who is in our senior core of players

Angels

Markovic
Another decent game

Dahlhaus
Doing all of the right things

Addision
Played one of his better games

jeemak
17-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Why are you mentioning Jong? I never said he should be in the seniors, he is an 18year old rookie playing Willi Resreves.:confused:

I just happen to sit next to him at a function.

We need to play Sherman, Tutt, Moles, when they are fit and ready.

I agree. I just found it odd people were questioning the merit of Jong being taught to win his own ball considering where he is with this development.

bornadog
17-04-2012, 12:33 PM
I agree. I just found it odd people were questioning the merit of Jong being taught to win his own ball considering where he is with this development.

It was just an example of what the new coach wants the players to do.