PDA

View Full Version : Drawing a Line in the Sand

wimberga
15-04-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't know if this rational at all but....

Does anyone else wish that when we are getting our pants pulled down and getting drubbed that a few players would fire up the opposition and draw a line in the sand? Watching the game, it hurts to see our players being pushed around by the opposition.

I know there are risks in terms of fines or suspensions, but like we have seen with our own boys against the saints in the past, Richmond with the pies last week, Hawthorn on multiple occasions and several others, when your team is getting spanked and you get up in your oppositions face and really let them know that your losing on the board but you wont let them have it and your not a push over. This can really ignite some passion throughout the team and unite them.

Am i the only one that feels that something symbolic like this can actually help the club?

LostDoggy
15-04-2012, 12:21 AM

Does anyone else wish that when we are getting our pants pulled down and getting drubbed that a few players would fire up the opposition and draw a line in the sand? Watching the game, it hurts to see our players being pushed around by the opposition.

I know there are risks in terms of fines or suspensions, but like we have seen with our own boys against the saints in the past, Richmond with the pies last week, Hawthorn on multiple occasions and several others, when your team is getting spanked and you get up in your oppositions face and really let them know that your losing on the board but you wont let them have it and your not a push over. This can really ignite some passion throughout the team and unite them.

Am i the only one that feels that something symbolic like this can actually help the club?

Apart from Picken , we only have a few hard heads at the Club , blokes willing to shirtfront someone for putting a bump on a team mate , willing to put the body on the line to shepherd a team mate

Players like Dal Santo and Montagna don,t like to have a player in their face , Hayes justs keeps on truckin , a couple of the Saints younger players could easily have done with a heavy bump or two just to take their focus off the game

Bumper Bulldogs
15-04-2012, 12:26 AM

Ah yes the glory days of Romero, Libba, Smoth and Garlic. I just don't think our guys have it in them. Gia, Higgins, Grant, Murphy, Cordy, Dalhous, DJ, Roughy, Wood etc etc

SonofScray
15-04-2012, 12:40 AM
It is a legitimate tactic in hockey to introduce some biff and try swing momentum, keep certain players off the ice etc. While the rules of the game don't lend itself so much to a biff as a tactic, there is a bit to be said about bringing that physical and emotive aspect of the game into play. We should give it a go.

I'd have liked to have seen it from us in a few instances but tonight probably wasn't one of the ones where I felt it was really lacking. Tonight there was just a stink about all aspects of our game.

Sockeye Salmon
15-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Unfortunately it's not 1976 any more.

Oh Brian Lake tried, of course he got reported for his troubles.

Nice cliche, BTW.

Rocco Jones
15-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Unfortunately it's not 1976 any more.

Oh Brian Lake tried, of course he got reported for his troubles.

Nice cliche, BTW.

Agree.

The only way to be really physically intimidating in modern footy is to be hard at the ball all game. Now that's really hard work...

AndrewP6
15-04-2012, 02:35 AM
I'd have liked to see something tonight, anything. FWIW I wasn't that bothered by Briza going the biff, at least he showed a pulse. The Triple M clowns carried on like he'd knocked him out.

jeemak
15-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Um, I'd like to see our players get stuck in. On the back of having the ability to make a difference with skill and competitiveness around the ball.

When we get our shit together with respect to skills, and understanding of the game then sure, I'd love to see our players have a crack at the opposition when we're down and getting pushed around.

Until then we need to get the basics right, like hitting a target and having respect for the football and how hard it is to take possession of it.

The Underdog
15-04-2012, 08:40 AM
No it's not rational. It's cheap posturing that provides some solace for frustrated supporters and achieves nothing.

Richmond did it with the Pies last week and then came out and got spanked in the 3rd quarter. Symbolic gestures are just that and often backfire. I'd rather they showed real resolve in the way they played rather than act like a bunch of faux hard men.

We can talk bullshit cliches like drawing a line in the sand or playing for the jumper but at the end of the day none of it matters much.

GVGjr
15-04-2012, 08:52 AM
No it's not rational. It's cheap posturing that provides some solace for frustrated supporters and achieves nothing.

I tend to agree. The game has changed to a point that the notion of drawing a line in the sand would do nothing positive for the side but only serve up a token or symbolic gesture to a few supporters. I can't see how losing 2 or 3 players to reports or a few players throwing their weight could be regarded as a positive thing.

w3design
15-04-2012, 08:57 AM
To me that would just be an example of north's idiotic behaviour with Barry. Ridiculous posturing that makes a club a laughing stock.

The only line in the sand I want to see is a resolve to play with spirit and passion. I can't fathom the stats for last night, to me we were killed in hunger and desire. I guess there are no stats for 'pretended chasing', not manning up or guarding a space, or doing a rubbish disposal that just puts a team mate under pressure and never even looked like being an option. But boy did we excel in those areas!

Bulldog Revolution
15-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I just want to see us play better

I agree with others that there is little to be gained

The courageous thing is to play the game as hard as we can, thats what I am hoping for

wimberga
15-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I mean of course we all want our team to play hard and skilfully and just plain win. And just regarding posturing like North Melbourne - I'm not suggesting that at all. What they did was an embarassment on the league by targeting Bazza.

What I am suggesting (and I have had these feelings for a while now, however when you are winning games it does not seem to matter so much) is that we have a team of guys who play football but don't get physically in your face. As mentioned, when your a winning team like we were or geelong this doesnt matter much.

I'm not saying go out and just start fights. thats silly. But when you see Boydy handball it to the opposition for a certain goal, you see the other team get into his face, Murphy comes in to have a word whilst Boydy runs back to the centre for the clearance - thats when you let them know that ok you *!*!*!*!ed it up but your gonna need to work for the next one.

Same thing all night with Goddard who was constantly at both Cross and Boyd and neither of them gave a whimper. You dont go out there looking for a fight but when an opposition player gets in your face and lets you know how bad you are, you have to stand up for yourself (and your teammates!)

westdog54
15-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I remember a semi final that the ACT Brumbies were preparing for against NSW a few years ago in what was at the time the Super 12's.

There had been a bit of niggle and unnecessary pushing and shoving in their last encounter so they decided to adopt a codeword, 'Stingray', which when called out would be a reminder that if they were going to take them on, it would be on the scoreboard, not by letting things get out of hand.

It worked, and they caused and upset to progress to the final.

The North/Bazza comparison is a brilliant one. It is no good whatsoever to be 'up in the opposition's face' if they're ticking the scoreboard over at will. You can't let sledging or the opposition's niggling get to you, all they're trying to do is bait you into doing something stupid so they can get another cheap goal out of it and I'm stunned how many modern players get sucked in.