PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Optimism

Raw Toast
16-04-2012, 09:35 PM
We might need this thread more after the Melbourne (though I hope not!), but I thought I'd go early. I'm happy for absurd reasons, as long as more rational considerations as to why we might not have to sink into complete doom and gloom this early in the season.

My initial contribution is that our odds for the top 8 have shot out to 15:1, inspiring me to empty my pockets and plonk down $1 dollar. The dreams of what I'll do with my winnings are already making me happy :p

The Underdog
16-04-2012, 09:47 PM
We might need this thread more after the Melbourne (though I hope not!), but I thought I'd go early. I'm happy for absurd reasons, as long as more rational considerations as to why we might not have to sink into complete doom and gloom this early in the season.

My initial contribution is that our odds for the top 8 have shot out to 15:1, inspiring me to empty my pockets and plonk down $1 dollar. The dreams of what I'll do with my winnings are already making me happy :p

Better or worse value than the 2-8 Padres for your $1?

Here's a couple
Luke Dahlhaus' continued improvement, his self belief, pace and willingness to take on everybody and set an example with his chasing.
The fact we have 4 or 5 talented young talls which means we should have some reasonable ruck and forward depth going forward.
Tom Liberatore.

Last week was bad but we'll be better at times and while it may be a long season we should have a couple of new reasons to look forward to next year.

Throughandthrough
16-04-2012, 10:04 PM
We wont waste $5 buying an option for Grand Final Tickets
This years draft is allegedly a superdraft
Will have more spare time each week as wont watch replays of matches that we have lost.

bornadog
16-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Some Positives

* We are getting our hands on the ball and are fifth highest in disposals, (Melbourne last), now we have to learn how to use the ball.

* We have been playing on average 10 to 11 players with less than 50 games under their belt, so that has got to be a positive for the future.

* Our next two rounds should be wins.

LostDoggy
16-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Panos and Veszpremi are being given time in defense with Willi , now on the face value you could say we are wasting time using them in defense when we need them to get some form as forwards to back up our senior side but when you look deeper Macca knew that our senior defense was not going to have the structure he wanted and the senior personnel Lake and Hargrave were underdone , Addison and Wood have been given the job of filling in and Addison at least has put the bit between his teeth , Macca at least had plans to have Lake, Williams and Markovic as the talls with Murphy and a rotation of younger players like Howard to balance it out , Williams and Howard are out , Hargrave and Wood are not in great form.
Now if Macca had a back up plan in case of injuries and poor form then having Panos and Veszpremi doing the work they are doing at Willi has paid off , now add Austin to the mix ( if elevated with Williams injured ) and it becomes clearer that our backline structure is not as depleted as we thought it was . Now if we use Panos and Veszpremi as a one in one out rotation forward and back in a game their time in defense with Willi becomes vital as they have to have the same attitude defensively when playing forward . Austin has also played as a forward rotation for Carlton and is a good mark , both leading and running back with the flight .
And now we also see that our forward line can also have the support it needs , Dickson has had a few games so he can see the standard required , Tom Hill is starting to get some form with Willi , Cordy just needs to keep on doing what he,s doing , and with Panos and Veszpremi getting through the work required there is a lot more upside than some people think
So to all those people having a serious case of the moody blues after losing 3 straight to start season 2012 , just have some patience help is on the way

Raw Toast
16-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm enjoying the comments on this thread so far, keep it up!

Better or worse value than the 2-8 Padres for your $1.

(This is a bit off-topic, but the Padres were 29:1 on, so might be better value for my $1, but the referees are clearly agin us [http://www.gaslampball.com/2012/4/15/2950993/umpire-dale-scott-assisted-triple-play-helps-dodgers-beat-the-padres], so maybe not, plus almost 1/2 afl teams will make the 8, while only 1/5 will win the division. They must have gone out further, cause they've lost (or been swindled out of) the last three, but my betting agency is no longer offering odds for division winners anymore, just the league pennant, and even I'm not going to put down $1 on the 81:1 odds that SD wins the National League.)

LostDoggy
16-04-2012, 11:49 PM
The guy i played in Supercoach cash league this week had Lake, Hargrave and Smith all on the ground. Netting him a measly 150 points for all 3. Contributed greatly to my win.

LostDoggy
17-04-2012, 11:19 AM
-We're not as bad as Melbourne (to be continued..)
-We're not as bad as GWS (also to be continued..)
-Could have 2 picks in the top 10 "Superdraft"

Murphy'sLore
17-04-2012, 11:24 AM
We won't have to sit through the agony of losing yet another prelim this year.

LostDoggy
17-04-2012, 11:51 AM
What odds on losing Dahlhaus under free agency?

Oh whoops, this was the positive thread.

Ummm... it's good to see Lake and Coons back on the park, we have no problem winning the contested ball, we still get to beat up on GWS and GC for hopefully at least another two years, Grant is starting to contribute, Smith looks a contested ball beauty (I've been bagging out his selection, but it's not his fault we picked him and he's been working as hard as he can), Morris is nearly back, Willy (Williamstown, not Minson) looks the goods, Markovic kept Riewoldt quiet, Cordy is finally getting an injury-free run, and I'm not wasting nearly as much time on footy this year as I have the last few years.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Our supporters are very funny - there were a lot of great one liners on Sat night - it was like being back behind Barkly St goals

always right
17-04-2012, 02:09 PM
The guy i played in Supercoach cash league this week had Lake, Hargrave and Smith all on the ground. Netting him a measly 150 points for all 3. Contributed greatly to my win.

Were you playing against me?:o

I also had Dempsey in my side.

Remi Moses
17-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Can we fast forward the calendar to the end of August( heading to Thailand)
Then straight to the end of November . Pleeeeease

Ghost Dog
17-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Reason for Optimism. The club no longer continually has to replace phones in the coach's box. ( Rocket stretched the budget by breaking everything breakable in the box )
Jason Akermanis getting 90% less the attention he did last year.
Finally getting the hang of spelling Djekurr....wait a minute.

LostDoggy
17-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Can we fast forward the calendar to the end of August( heading to Thailand)
Then straight to the end of November . Pleeeeease

Im hangggging for my holiday in July, I will miss out on the Hawthorn, Carlton and StKilda games. I think I planned it well.:rolleyes:

chef
17-04-2012, 05:55 PM
We are going to get the chance to add a lot of good quality kids to our list at the end of the season.

westdog54
17-04-2012, 05:59 PM
What odds on losing Dahlhaus under free agency?

Should it possibly read...

We don't have to worry about losing Dahlhaus and Libba to free agency for at least another 6 years.

LostDoggy
17-04-2012, 06:00 PM
should it possibly read...

We don't have to worry about losing dahlhaus and libba to free agency for at least another 6 years.

Yep! :)

Throughandthrough
18-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm just about to have a lunch break.

Hotdog60
18-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm just about to have a lunch break.

Bugger I just thought I logged into Facebook, scared me for a minute.

LostDoggy
18-04-2012, 11:23 PM
We don't have to worry about losing Dahlhaus and Libba to free agency for at least another 6 years.

Are you telling me the two guys who play like their life depends on the outcome, are locked in for SIX years?
That is positive.

GVGjr
18-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Are you telling me the two guys who play like their life depends on the outcome, are locked in for SIX years?
That is positive.

They aren't locked in but there is an service limit to qualify for free agency. It will take those players a number of years to qualify for Free agency.

Hotdog60
21-04-2012, 07:55 AM
They aren't locked in but there is an service limit to qualify for free agency. It will take those players a number of years to qualify for Free agency.

Unless the AFL in their great wisdom slide the years of service back to 4 or 5 years so when players are in the prime or about to hit their prime they will be just right for the cashed up cheats to make a steal.;)

chef
21-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Unless the AFL in their great wisdom slide the years of service back to 4 or 5 years so when players are in the prime or about to hit their prime they will be just right for the cashed up cheats to make a steal.;)

It will happen in the near future.

LostDoggy
21-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for cheering me up fellow Woofers! Been finding it tough looking for the positives but you all make great points! Love the post about saving money on prelim tickets and saving $5 registering for the GF! We have lots to look forward to, it's just another test of patience for us!