PDA

View Full Version : Lake's act idiotic

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-04-2012, 10:09 PM
The strong push by BMcC's strong desire to develop a team at the expense of the individual was dealt a body blow with the undisciplined act leading to the suspension of Brian Lake.
What a poor example he has set to our younger brigade. Without Morris and Williams which has decimated our defence, Lake's actions is untenable. I would like to see the Club fine him heavily for this irrational behaviour.
I would welcome your comments.

LostDoggy
16-04-2012, 10:40 PM
What if he is a good mate of Mark Austin?

GVGjr
16-04-2012, 10:45 PM
The strong push by BMcC's strong desire to develop a team at the expense of the individual was dealt a body blow with the undisciplined act leading to the suspension of Brian Lake.
What a poor example he has set to our younger brigade. Without Morris and Williams which has decimated our defence, Lake's actions is untenable. I would like to see the Club fine him heavily for this irrational behaviour.
I would welcome your comments.

I don't disagree with much of what you have written but I wouldn't be fining him. I think he is mature enough to understand the impacts of his actions and a fine would be more symbolic than a positive.

AndrewP6
16-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I think you've overreacted. Sure, it was undisciplined. but sport makes one emotional. and sometimes emotion overrides common sense -I've been guilty of that, both in the playing arena, and right here on WOOF :). We're not privy to anything that might have provoked such a reaction on Lake's part - Scarlett punched Ballantyne and received widespread praise amongst the players! As for the punch itself, it wasn't worth anything more than a week, was nothing more than a love tap. He'll sit it out, come back in and we'll get back to business. Yes, it puts pressure on others, but it could allow Austin to get a look in (if elevated). Undiscplined, probably. Unnecessary, possibly. But in the scheme of things, a blip on the radar. It's not like our finals spot is in danger.

boydogs
16-04-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't think we need to stoop to the AFL's PC level and fine him for that. A minor brain fade in a frustrating game.

Remi Moses
16-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Sets a an ordinary example to our younger players,
And just hope he's been told in no uncertain terms.
Political correctness, spur of the moment or whatever he's a lucky lucky boy to only get a week

Redemption97
17-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Not sure about the fine but certainly agree that it was poor leadership and reckless

BulldogBelle
17-04-2012, 01:06 AM
He expressed how I felt about our situation and everything in general.

Stupid act but I probably would have done worse, it was so frustrating to watch let alone participate in.

jeemak
17-04-2012, 01:42 AM
He expressed how I felt about our situation and everything in general.

Stupid act but I probably would have done worse, it was so frustrating to watch let alone participate in.

Really? Well hopefully you're in an environment where everything works out perfectly for you most of the time, and when it doesn't, things don't end up going too badly!

Pretty stupid stuff from Lake, and cheap to boot. Clipping a bloke when he's not face to face or ready for it is a fairly week act IMO. He needs to be more mature than that.

As an aside, having watched the Match Review incidents on the AFL web page I am gobsmacked that Nathan Jones could be sanctioned for making negligent contact with an umpire on the back of the vision.

LostDoggy
17-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Overraction but thats just my opinion.

5 years of good behavior its not like we have had to put up with Brian snaps every week.

I think he just had frustrated old man syndrome. I think Brian's good record shows this as a one-off and he himself could see what he did was wrong and let his team down. I think he would feel the guilt and thats punishment enough.

Mofra
17-04-2012, 10:29 AM
He loses a match payment so it's not like he doesn't receive some sort of financial penalty anyway.

Eastdog
17-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I agree that Lake was stupid for what he did and that it doesn't set a good example for our younger players. Im sure he now knows what he did was wrong and will try not to do that again. I would add though that some of the incidents that come to the tribunal today would not have got a look in 20-30 years ago. I think they are pretty inconsistent in my opinion.

westdog54
17-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Lake showed in the '09 prelim that he can be unsettled easily to the point where he commits an undisciplined act, regardless of how stupid the umpire's decision was, Brian's was unnecessary and the same has occurred here. Look to them to try and get under Brian's skin at every opportunity from now on.

Greystache
17-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Lake showed in the '09 prelim that he can be unsettled easily to the point where he commits an undisciplined act, regardless of how stupid the umpire's decision was, Brian's was unnecessary and the same has occurred here. Look to them to try and get under Brian's skin at every opportunity from now on.

The start of the 2nd half wasn't an isolated incident. Lake had been hitting Riewoldt at every opportunity since the opening bounce. I don't think frustration had anything to do with, I expect he was following instructions.

AndrewP6
17-04-2012, 07:59 PM

That was three years ago, he's not in the same category as. oh, say, Bazza. ;)

SonofScray
17-04-2012, 08:06 PM
It happens from time to time. It should happen from time to time given that footy is an emotional game. He got his punishment and we move on. No need to crucify him.

I actually think we have had too few reportable incidents in recent years. Suggests that players aren't imposing themselves physically or aren't working over the opposition. Just a bit too squeaky clean.

BulldogBelle
17-04-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm sure Brian was as pissed off as we all were with his and the teams overall performance on Saturday night

No excuses but I'm sure the scoreboard influenced his action to a degree

w3design
17-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Did anyone see afl 360. They had footage of Tough Guy Riewoldt jogging up to murph who was kneeling on ground after a goal was kicked and pushing his knee into his rib cage. Murf was clearly not impressed when asked about it. I think I'd prefer to see a frustrated punch than a snipey little act from a so called hero of the game, to an unsuspecting, unaware player (murf had his back to him) when his team are 10 goals up.

bornadog
18-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Did anyone see afl 360. They had footage of Tough Guy Riewoldt jogging up to murph who was kneeling on ground after a goal was kicked and pushing his knee into his rib cage. Murf was clearly not impressed when asked about it. I think I'd prefer to see a frustrated punch than a snipey little act from a so called hero of the game, to an unsuspecting, unaware player (murf had his back to him) when his team are 10 goals up.

Yes I saw that on AFL 360. I thought Riewoldt was trying to do the old primary school thing, ie push Murphy over when he was trying to tie his shoe lace, but Murph held his balance. He clearly was not happy and it was a childish act.

EasternWest
18-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Yes I saw that on AFL 360. I thought Riewoldt was trying to do the old primary school thing, ie push Murphy over when he was trying to tie his shoe lace, but Murph held his balance. He clearly was not happy and it was a childish act.

While I don't disagree, this kind of stuff goes on all the time. It's pointless to get up in arms about it.

And be objective about it: do you think for a second our players don't do it? I hate Riewoldt as much as anyone, but as far as stupid niggling things go, it's pretty tame. It's not like he was trying to hit anyone on the broken fingers or anything.

chef
18-04-2012, 08:38 AM

It was Boyd on the ground after he had hand passed it straight to a Saints player for a goal. It looked like Murph was saying 'have some respect, your better than that' sort of thing and sticking up for his captain.

Maddog37
18-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Is Murph becoming the spiritual leader of the club?

Dancin' Douggy
18-04-2012, 10:49 AM

I believe he has been for a while, since Johnno retired.

LostDoggy
18-04-2012, 09:26 PM

I really really wish he would grow a beard

SonofScray
18-04-2012, 09:30 PM
While I don't disagree, this kind of stuff goes on all the time. It's pointless to get up in arms about it.

And be objective about it: do you think for a second our players don't do it? I hate Riewoldt as much as anyone, but as far as stupid niggling things go, it's pretty tame. It's not like he was trying to hit anyone on the broken fingers or anything.

No thanks.

Shit act by Riedwolt. Deserved a whack in the mouth. If you are going to be a rat, get in someone's face and have a go, none of this cowardly from behind stuff.

Maddog37
18-04-2012, 09:57 PM
I really really wish he would grow a beard

Or a fu Manchu would be pretty special.:D

LostDoggy
18-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Or a fu Manchu would be pretty special.:D

Or more correctly a Bob Manchu :D

EasternWest
18-04-2012, 11:18 PM
No thanks.

Shit act by Riedwolt. Deserved a whack in the mouth. If you are going to be a rat, get in someone's face and have a go, none of this cowardly from behind stuff.

Well, I appreciate your honesty re objectivity. I can't agree with you, because I can be objective. That's probably that then.

jeemak
19-04-2012, 12:12 AM

I really really wish he would grow a beard.

I believe he has been for a while, since Johnno retired.

Not sure we need a "Spiritual Leader" right now, and I don't think the beard worship when it was at full flight did a great deal for us either, to be honest.

I haven't seen the Riewoldt effort, so I can't comment with too much authority however, I think a guy like Riewoldt should keep himself fairly clean. He pisses and moans a lot, gets a bloody great run from the media and "men in white" on a regular basis, and would be the first person to stick his arms up if he got clipped for being a cheap wanker.

Having said that he does afterall, imagine that everbody sleeps naked. That's what he imagines.

BulldogBelle
19-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks jeemak. Didn't see the Montagna deliberate trip on Picken as well I assume?

jeemak
19-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Thanks jeemak. Didn't see the Montagna deliberate trip on Picken as well I assume?

No I didn't. Have been using my right fist to bash the corners of load bearing walls since I posted my Riewoldt rant whilst thinking of the 2009 prelim.

Can you give me some fuel to get my left hand cracking? :o

Maddog37
19-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Not sure we need a "Spiritual Leader" right now, and I don't think the beard worship when it was at full flight did a great deal for us either, to be honest.

I haven't seen the Riewoldt effort, so I can't comment with too much authority however, I think a guy like Riewoldt should keep himself fairly clean. He pisses and moans a lot, gets a bloody great run from the media and "men in white" on a regular basis, and would be the first person to stick his arms up if he got clipped for being a cheap wanker.

Having said that he does afterall, imagine that everbody sleeps naked. That's what he imagines.

Jeemak, after last Saturdays performance I would offer that the club needs all the spirit it can get at the moment.

jeemak
19-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Jeemak, after last Saturdays performance I would offer that the club needs all the spirit it can get at the moment.

I'd prefer it have decision making smarts and kicking skills, though considering the cattle we have maybe spirit is all we can hope for over the next year or so.

Daughter of the West
19-04-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd prefer it have decision making smarts and kicking skills, though considering the cattle we have maybe spirit is all we can hope for over the next year or so.

I reckon I might need shots of spirit to get me through this season ;)

AndrewP6
19-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I reckon I might need shots of spirit to get me through this season ;)

Shots or bottles? ;)

Maddog37
19-04-2012, 04:48 PM

You can have all the skills in the world but without spirit and passion you will have nothing.

Daughter of the West
19-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Shots or bottles? ;)

Ask me after the Melbourne game! :D

Sockeye Salmon
19-04-2012, 05:32 PM
You can have all the skills in the world but without spirit and passion you will have nothing.

You can have the spirit and passion in the world but without the talent you still have nothing

DragzLS1
19-04-2012, 05:50 PM
You can have the spirit and passion in the world but without the talent you still have nothing

So lets agree we need a bit of both :p haha

CMON DOGS!! Lets show them our spirit and talent this weekend!

Eastdog
19-04-2012, 05:57 PM
So lets agree we need a bit of both :p haha

CMON DOGS!! Lets show them our spirit and talent this weekend!

We have to remember it is very early into Season 2012 and that there is a long way to go. We just need to take it one week at a time. I like your optimism DragzLS1 and it would be a morale boost if we win. We were in it against Eagles for a while and fell short against the Crows. Thd Saints last week was just a very bad game for us.