PDA

View Full Version : A Message From Brendan McCartney -April 17th

bornadog
17-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

Dear Member,

It is early in the week here at work again after a disappointing loss against St Kilda on Saturday night — we here share your aggravation.

The disappointing part of the evening for us was we had an opportunity to test ourselves against a pretty well drilled, structured team and there were really evident signs that we just hadn’t followed what we were asked to do with the way we set the ground up and with the way we were setting the stoppages up.

We had too many people reactive to the opposition and not thinking their way through it and that is going to be a challenge for myself and the coaches to realign.

We are not for one second accepting that it is ok to be like that. St Kilda put pressure on our players when they had the ball in hand and we forgot about the basics – if you have a free teammate just take it straight away, give the first option.

As a result our young forwards got starved of opportunities and too often were left to try to compensate when they were heavily outnumbered because we were taking too long to get the ball into them.

What we are going to do as a group of coaches is that every Monday will be the same whether we win, lose or draw — we will go through what we did well and what we need to get better at.

Irrespective of the game that is looming it will be about getting better and continuing to teach and develop all of our players, not just our kids but also our most experienced players.

We are on the hunt for good teammates and we are on the hunt for people who want the team to be more efficient and not just going into games thinking “gee I hope I get a kick, I hope I play well and I hope I play a starring role”.

Those days are gone and we are not going down that path. We are looking for good teammates who drive the team.

Sincerely,

Brendan McCartney

LostDoggy
17-04-2012, 08:59 PM
And teamwork is not something that can be improved upon if you dump half the team after a disappointing loss , I really don,t expect too many changes , we do have a few players out of form but from what Macca is talking about , those players out of form may get another chance but their role/targets may change or they may still be involved on matchday as Emergencies

I just hope that when he had a chat to the players after the match he told them emphatically that hacking a kick from a contest was banned for 2012

Ghost Dog
17-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I guess that is the part where he says ' give it to the first option'.
Good to read.

ledge
17-04-2012, 09:24 PM
And teamwork is not something that can be improved upon if you dump half the team after a disappointing loss , I really don,t expect too many changes , we do have a few players out of form but from what Macca is talking about , those players out of form may get another chance but their role/targets may change or they may still be involved on matchday as Emergencies

I just hope that when he had a chat to the players after the match he told them emphatically that hacking a kick from a contest was banned for 2012

I wish we did that in our forward line it would be an improvement on hitting our opposition on the chest with perfect passes

1eyedog
17-04-2012, 09:52 PM
God I hope Melbourne don't roll us.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Well I am really happy that something has come out and that he and not the club has taken the time to put a few words together to get the supporters back on track, I'm also hoping that we don't see wholesale changes but we need to start to get into their heads and send a statement. Concerning that he states that we are looking for good team mates. If this was evident on the weekend to the coaching staff I would start with these guys on the chopping block, I also think that Rocket had also struggled with this one to an extent.

AndrewP6
17-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Well I am really happy that something has come out and that he and not the club has taken Ike to put a few words together to get the supporters bak n track, I'm also hoping that we don't see wholesale changes but we need to start to get ino their heads and send a statement. Concerning that he states that we are looking for good team mates. If this was evident on the weekend to the oaxhing staff I wold start with these gys on the chopping lock as I think that Rocket had also struggled with this o an extent.

iPhone?

Dancin' Douggy
17-04-2012, 10:13 PM
This message is all very blah blah bah for me.
The rebuild starts now. And the first part of any rebuild involves a big skip. Yes. A big skip.
You can take some stuff to the recyclers but not all.

Or...... you can live with a compromised, half arsed renovation, that never really works.

Dancin' Douggy
17-04-2012, 10:14 PM
God I hope Melbourne don't roll us.

I hope they do. Then the truth may actually sink in.

always right
17-04-2012, 10:25 PM

So you think the coach is deluded?

AndrewP6
17-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

We are on the hunt for good teammates and we are on the hunt for people who want the team to be more efficient and not just going into games thinking “gee I hope I get a kick, I hope I play well and I hope I play a starring role”.

Those days are gone and we are not going down that path. We are looking for good teammates who drive the team.

The bold bit seemed a bit odd to me. He's only been there, what, six months? Which 'days' is he talking about?

Bumper Bulldogs
17-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Not a chance in hell, we will bounce back and have a good win, I think the first couple of games we played well enough to flog Melbourne. And it should hopefully kick start our year.

I also don't think that putting the coach under the pump is going to help us at all. Thank God Melbourne and Collingwood have take all the headlines year to date.;)

Dancin' Douggy
17-04-2012, 10:30 PM
So you think the coach is deluded?

I think the coach may be deluded about the quality of the list and it's ability to compete for a finals berth. Yes.
I think the president and a large number of supporters are deluded about the talent on our list. Optimism is grand, but reality has a way of smacking you in the teeth with a stainless steel hammer.

LostDoggy
17-04-2012, 11:50 PM

Sincerely,

Brendan McCartney

Does anyone think this is perhaps a message to some of our players? Or his thoughts on some of our players?

AndrewP6
17-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Does anyone think this is perhaps a message to some of our players? Or his thoughts on some of our players?

It's poor form if it is. That sort of stuff should be done behind closed doors, and face to face.

jazzadogs
18-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I think the coach may be deluded about the quality of the list and it's ability to compete for a finals berth. Yes.
I think the president and a large number of supporters are deluded about the talent on our list. Optimism is grand, but reality has a way of smacking you in the teeth with a stainless steel hammer.
I don't think McCartney is deluded enough to think that the list, in it's current state, will compete for finals. He has faith in his ability to teach and improve players, but I'm sure he would acknowledge that the list also needs a significant makeover.

G-Mo77
18-04-2012, 01:57 AM
It's poor form if it is. That sort of stuff should be done behind closed doors, and face to face.

Its not like you or anyone else knows who he's talking about and if anyone thinks they do they're only clutching at straws anyway. No biggie IMO.

Remi Moses
18-04-2012, 05:10 AM
You always know you're team isn't going well when fans continually make issues out of nothing.
The coach hasn't told us anything we don't know, he's just being transparent .

FrediKanoute
18-04-2012, 07:20 AM

No. The message is a puff piece to appease and increasingly angry mob. I have no doubt there are guys on the list who wont be there next year because they wont/can't follow McCartney's style, but I'm not reading anything into it.

Maddog37
18-04-2012, 10:22 AM
I think it is a heads up. He has said players were not following team rules. I interpret the message as you have had a warning and if you continue on this path you will be out.

ledge
18-04-2012, 10:29 AM
To me it means we have individuals and players that havent got confidence yet in their own abillity.
Maybe our last coach has psyched some into thinking they arent good enough or simply they arent good enough.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-04-2012, 11:01 AM
To me it means we have individuals and players that havent got confidence yet in their own abillity.
Maybe our last coach has psyched some into thinking they arent good enough or simply they arent good enough.

Our current list is no where good enough if you were to compare it with what Macca was used to working with at Geelong.At the moment we have one quality backman in Murphy and one quality forward in Dahlhaus. This is a very undermanned team. You only need to have witnessed the difference between St Kilda and the WB on the scoreboard last Sunday compared to similar battles which were much closer previously between the two clubs.
I like BMcC's approach in his attempt to make us more competitive but at the end of the day it comes down to talent which we lack in so many areas.

Dancin' Douggy
18-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Our current list is no where good enough if you were to compare it with what Macca was used to working with at Geelong.At the moment we have one quality backman in Murphy and one quality forward in Dahlhaus. This is a very undermanned team. You only need to have witnessed the difference between St Kilda and the WB on the scoreboard last Sunday compared to similar battles which were much closer previously between the two clubs.
I like BMcC's approach in his attempt to make us more competitive but at the end of the day it comes down to talent which we lack in so many areas.

And 1 quality midfielder in Griffen

ledge
18-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Personally to me its our forward line and delivery into it, all else is pretty solid.
Get that right and we are up there.
How much time and work it takes and can it be done is the question.

jazzadogs
18-04-2012, 11:44 AM
I think it is a heads up. He has said players were not following team rules. I interpret the message as you have had a warning and if you continue on this path you will be out.
I interpret it as a message from the Coach to the members, which is completely separate to any conversation the coach might have had with the players. If he does feel that there are players not doing the team thing, I'm sure they've been made more than aware of it.

Last year people were complaining that there was no communication from the club, now they're trying to add something new and there's still complaints.

Gonna be a long year.

ledge
18-04-2012, 12:00 PM
I interpret it as a message from the Coach to the members, which is completely separate to any conversation the coach might have had with the players. If he does feel that there are players not doing the team thing, I'm sure they've been made more than aware of it.

Last year people were complaining that there was no communication from the club, now they're trying to add something new and there's still complaints.

Gonna be a long year.

Whos complaining about the communication?
This is disecting the communication thats put out and discussing it not complaining about the communication.

jazzadogs
18-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Whos complaining about the communication?
This is disecting the communication thats put out and discussing it not complaining about the communication.
Fair point. Misinterpreted what I read originally...apologies. I think last week there was a bit more scepticism about the quality/information in McCartney's message.

I've been really impressed with the standard of communication this year, and the improvements in Bulldogs TV, Twitter etc. Much better fan engagement.

Bulldog4life
18-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Make up your mind. In another thread you said "The presser should be the same tone as the closed door discussion. I disagree that the words are meaningless, they are indicative of mindset. The way we're going, false bravado would be an improvement".

So the presser should be the same tone as closed door discussion but BMac's letter to the members shouldn't?

Ghost Dog
18-04-2012, 12:48 PM

Brian Lake is not quality?
We all know Ryan Hargrave is down on form but - he is not quality as a defender?
Djekurra is untalented as a forward?
Gia has no qualities to offer?
Liam Jones is without quality?
Marco - A young player but one who the coach has mentioned twice in press conferences as being impressive. Lacks ANY kind of quality?

stefoid
18-04-2012, 12:52 PM

I dont think the difference in playing lists between the saints and the dogs is that great. We had a system failure, not a failure of individuals. Having a few more high quality players will win you tight arm wrestles -- it wont result in the type of blowout we had unless one teams's system breaks down.

DragzLS1
18-04-2012, 02:07 PM
We clearly hung our heads and did not put up a fight. We didnt have much going our way and a few turn overs including our captons really shows what kind of night we were having. I think this weeks game against Melbourne will be alot different to what we have seen in any of the previous games.

We have some quality players lets not kid ourselves, maybe not top 4 material but im sure the top clubs wouldnt mind having a handful of our players on their list. Our Quality players have not been in form and setting up our structure has been slow which lets other teams catch us out.

I dont think we can kick 80 odd points against west coast over 3 quarters then kick stuff all against st Kilda with the same personel. We lacked intencity and structure which is where we got caught out. Lets see what Macca has done this week with the playing group and lets see them get out there this Sunday to give Melbourne a belting!

I will be there cheering my head off thats for sure!

Mofra
18-04-2012, 03:36 PM
We all know Ryan Hargrave is down on form but - he is not quality as a defender?
Marco - A young player but one who the coach has mentioned twice in press conferences as being impressive. Lacks ANY kind of quality?
Compare that list to the Saints' equivalent, and only Lake stands out

There was a noticeable difference in quality on display on Saturday night, and combined with an unpicking of our system they destroyed us.

Ghost Dog
18-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Compare that list to the Saints' equivalent, and only Lake stands out

There was a noticeable difference in quality on display on Saturday night, and combined with an unpicking of our system they destroyed us.

The above was in response to the comment we we have only 1 quality forward and 1 quality defender. Which is plainly not true.

ledge
18-04-2012, 06:41 PM
We clearly hung our heads and did not put up a fight. We didnt have much going our way and a few turn overs including our captons really shows what kind of night we were having. I think this weeks game against Melbourne will be alot different to what we have seen in any of the previous games.

We have some quality players lets not kid ourselves, maybe not top 4 material but im sure the top clubs wouldnt mind having a handful of our players on their list. Our Quality players have not been in form and setting up our structure has been slow which lets other teams catch us out.

I dont think we can kick 80 odd points against west coast over 3 quarters then kick stuff all against st Kilda with the same personel. We lacked intencity and structure which is where we got caught out. Lets see what Macca has done this week with the playing group and lets see them get out there this Sunday to give Melbourne a belting!

I will be there cheering my head off thats for sure!

Dont agree at all with that, we put up a fight all night, we had more inside 50s , more of the ball, we are just terrible delivering it.

Hotdog60
18-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Hard to say, I think Ryan has always been a bit of a turn over artist. I hate to think how many times through his career he has bomb it out of defense to no one in particular. A good honest footballer with the need to get it out of his area fast.

cinder
18-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Nothing for David Smorgon? Generally we get his take on things. Seems to have faded into the background a bit...

AndrewP6
18-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Make up your mind. In another thread you said "The presser should be the same tone as the closed door discussion. I disagree that the words are meaningless, they are indicative of mindset. The way we're going, false bravado would be an improvement".

So the presser should be the same tone as closed door discussion but BMac's letter to the members shouldn't?

They're different situations. In this case, the question was posed as to whether the letter from McCartney might've been directed at certain players. My issue would be that if he wants to direct criticism at players, he should do it face to face, not in a letter to members.

westdog54
18-04-2012, 07:54 PM
They're different situations. In this case, the question was posed as to whether the letter from McCartney might've been directed at certain players. My issue would be that if he wants to direct criticism at players, he should do it face to face, not in a letter to members.

Or in a press conference, perhaps?

AndrewP6
18-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Or in a press conference, perhaps?

Nope, face to face.

Bulldog4life
18-04-2012, 08:02 PM

Not the way I read it but will give you the benefit of a big doubt.:)

westdog54
18-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Nope, face to face.

That goes against what you posted on Sunday:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=264030&postcount=15

The presser should be the same tone as the closed door discussion. I disagree that the words are meaningless, they are indicative of mindset

Your words, not mine.

Which is it?

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-04-2012, 08:18 PM

I like your optimism. Apart from Lake the others you have mentioned would struggle to get a game in the top 4-5 Clubs.

ledge
18-04-2012, 08:23 PM
I like your optimism. Apart from Lake the others you have mentioned would struggle to get a game in the top 4-5 Clubs.

Personally I think Gia would get a game in any team, very under rated always has been, concentrate on him in games and nothing else and he is a very very good player.

Ghost Dog
18-04-2012, 08:27 PM

That's so subjective. Is Marco worse than Ryan Schoenmaker?
Pick any forward player of the same age, height and number of games played as Liam Jones. Such a huge gap?
Djekurra has had such limited opportunities in the past, are you really ready to shelve him already?
Gia has been in the system a while. While he may not be in Geelong squad, I'm sure there are a lot of middle tier teams he would get a go in. Good honest player, goal-a-game type.
Gia is worse than any similar type players at Port? Melbourne, Richmond? He's better than a lot of players at those clubs.

Dude cheer up! You'll feel better when we smash Melbourne. ( fingers crossed)

AndrewP6
18-04-2012, 08:28 PM
That goes against what you posted on Sunday:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=264030&postcount=15

Your words, not mine.

Which is it?

Again, they're different situations. In that other thread I was talking about how words in a press conference can convey one's conviction and mindset, and that they should match the 'closed door' discussions. This instance is referring to making veiled references/threats to players in a letter intended for the general public. My point, which clearly few understand, is that the "letter to the fans" should simply convey his thoughts on the team overall, and specific messages be given directly to those concerned.

azabob
18-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Again, they're different situations. In that other thread I was talking about how words in a press conference can convey one's conviction and mindset, and that they should match the 'closed door' discussions. This instance is referring to making veiled references/threats to players in a letter intended for the general public. My point, which clearly few understand, is that the "letter to the fans" should simply convey his thoughts on the team overall, and specific messages be given directly to those concerned.

Andrew, who is the press conference for, if not the general public?

westdog54
18-04-2012, 09:12 PM

That may be how you intended it but it certainly isn't how it came across, and quite frankly I still don't believe that the two are as distinctive as you do.

AndrewP6
18-04-2012, 09:15 PM
That may be how you intended it but it certainly isn't how it came across, and quite frankly I still don't believe that the two are as distinctive as you do.

Fair enough, let's agree to disagree and move on.

westdog54
18-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Fair enough, let's agree to disagree and move on.

Agreed. :D

As far as the letter goes I'll take it as a positive sign that the Coach is willing to speak as directly as he can to the members of the club and that he isn't shying away from the awfulness that was Saturday night.

AndrewP6
18-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Agreed. :D

As far as the letter goes I'll take it as a positive sign that the Coach is willing to speak as directly as he can to the members of the club and that he isn't shying away from the awfulness that was Saturday night.

Yeah I don't mind the idea of the letters themselves, at least they're trying to engage people in the Club.

jeemak
19-04-2012, 01:40 AM
That's so subjective. Is Marco worse than Ryan Schoenmaker?
Pick any forward player of the same age, height and number of games played as Liam Jones. Such a huge gap?
Djekurra has had such limited opportunities in the past, are you really ready to shelve him already?
Gia has been in the system a while. While he may not be in Geelong squad, I'm sure there are a lot of middle tier teams he would get a go in. Good honest player, goal-a-game type.
Gia is worse than any similar type players at Port? Melbourne, Richmond? He's better than a lot of players at those clubs.

Dude cheer up! You'll feel better when we smash Melbourne. ( fingers crossed)

Would Brad Johnson have kicked 70 goals in 2006 if he was the second string target, or the third?

I remember on BF a bit earlier than this time last year there was a debate on the main board about whether Robert Murphy would get a game in Collingwood's starting 22. I was absolutely amazed at how many people thought he wouldn't. Whilst I understand that many people who post on that site don't have much of an idea about broader football matters beyond their own team, it showed me how ingnorant people can be towards the contribution players can make to a side, when that side is performing well.

Guys like Higgins and Giansiracusa would easily slot in to any side in the competition. They are both players that thrive on good delivery and being players who are in position to offer a second or third option to a more dominant taller forward/forwards. That's why they're more valuable in a team performing well, than one that is performing badly.

Fix the back half and midfield and then all of our forwards will perform better. If we want guys like Giansiracusa and Higgins to perfrom whilst playing the hardest positions on the ground in modern football (medium sized forwards that are second or third options) then we need to clean up our delivery to them.

We can keep smashing these two right now, or somebody like Grant, but I'd love to see how well Paul Chapman and Stevie Johnson would go in a side that moves the ball as horribly and slowly as we do. It's all relative, and in today's game it all starts from a back half that needs to be supported by the midfield.

A little of topic, sorry.

As for Brendan's message, I'd prefer he kept it to once every three or four games. If we keep performing poorly he's going to run out of things to say sooner rather than later.

LongWait
19-04-2012, 08:49 AM
As for Brendan's message, I'd prefer he kept it to once every three or four games. If we keep performing poorly he's going to run out of things to say sooner rather than later.

I appreciate the communication after each game and suspect that I'm not alone.

If the coach runs out of meaningful and informative things to say each week (regardless of the team's performance) then we have made a terrible blunder and have appointed a moron as coach. McCartney appears to be anything but a moron and is highly regarded in the AFL community.

LostDoggy
19-04-2012, 04:04 PM
The bold bit seemed a bit odd to me. He's only been there, what, six months? Which 'days' is he talking about?

Perhaps the 58 years between our last flag and today?

Transparency = good. I don't mean to cause offense, and I really value your opinions, as you know, but I think on matters of the coach you're terribly biased against him, Andrew.

Fair point. Misinterpreted what I read originally...apologies. I think last week there was a bit more scepticism about the quality/information in McCartney's message.

I've been really impressed with the standard of communication this year, and the improvements in Bulldogs TV, Twitter etc. Much better fan engagement.

Absolutely. This is one area the Dogs are getting right this year.

I appreciate the communication after each game and suspect that I'm not alone.

If the coach runs out of meaningful and informative things to say each week (regardless of the team's performance) then we have made a terrible blunder and have appointed a moron as coach. McCartney appears to be anything but a moron and is highly regarded in the AFL community.

I guess it all comes down to the ratio of genuine information to cliches designed to hide behind. Sometimes one can seem like the other. Very much a perception thing. Considering we were smashed by a game plan (good on their part, bad on ours), not a particular player (again, either side) and we don't know what the instructions to them were, McCartney's comments should be accepted at face value as we can't very well say otherwise.

AndrewP6
19-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Perhaps the 58 years between our last flag and today?

But the comment he made was about days when players got kicks for themselves, played for themselves, not the team. We have a long history of proud, team-oriented players, who don't fit the 'me first' description - Murph, Johnno, Granty (Chris!), Dougie, EJ to name but a few.

Transparency = good. I don't mean to cause offense, and I really value your opinions, as you know, but I think on matters of the coach you're terribly biased against him, Andrew.

Fair enough, no offence taken. I'm just calling it the way I see it.

Absolutely. This is one area the Dogs are getting right this year.

True, the digital/social media side is much better, they're making efforts to reach people.

LostDoggy
19-04-2012, 08:26 PM

I have never once heard Brendan speak about finals, or burst out with statements that suggest this. He is always about building for finals type brands of football sure, and i think we should all be thankful that we have someone looking to develop this way. I appreciate we all want results now... I was as upset as anyone on Saturday night by the way we played together. There are good people leading this club! I think it is fantastic he writes this to members and fans. Everyone is in this together and just like he is putting "team play" into every method he speaks of, every press conference he takes, there is no individuals mentioned ( he has to be asked to name names, he doesn't speak about individuals). It is all about the team. He out of all people in the AFL cares less about individual talent than anyone else. This man is going to do good things for this club, I am very excited with the direction he is taking us and the way he is doing it. 0-3 hurts everyone who loves this club, and it is very easy for me to say things will turn out (because it is just a throw away line ) but there is a huge increase in things turning out for everyone because Brendan is our coach :)

Maddog37
19-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Wow. Much man love!! Are you related to Brendan?

LostDoggy
19-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Haha!! After writing that i knew I'd cop it!

Dancin' Douggy
19-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I have never once heard Brendan speak about finals, or burst out with statements that suggest this. He is always about building for finals type brands of football sure, and i think we should all be thankful that we have someone looking to develop this way. I appreciate we all want results now... I was as upset as anyone on Saturday night by the way we played together. There are good people leading this club! I think it is fantastic he writes this to members and fans. Everyone is in this together and just like he is putting "team play" into every method he speaks of, every press conference he takes, there is no individuals mentioned ( he has to be asked to name names, he doesn't speak about individuals). It is all about the team. He out of all people in the AFL cares less about individual talent than anyone else. This man is going to do good things for this club, I am very excited with the direction he is taking us and the way he is doing it. 0-3 hurts everyone who loves this club, and it is very easy for me to say things will turn out (because it is just a throw away line ) but there is a huge increase in things turning out for everyone because Brendan is our coach :)

I'm not trying to have a crack. But I simply refuse to buy into the 'refresh not rebuild' line.
A refresh suggests we're around the mark, but in my opinion we are miles off.
We're seeing the last of our reliable core. Our midfield (Griffen and Dalhaus aside) is slow and unskilled, or very young and inexperienced. Our two earmarked tall forwards are both Appalling set shots. Jones is a great contested mark but he doesn't lead to the right spots like a natural forward, and I just cringe as he walks in for a set shot.

Grant is an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a large praying mantis.
I don't what he is!
Our defense, even at full strength with all players in good form won't be around by the time Grant and Jones are serious mature players. Tom Williams is still an experiment. Cooney's knee is rooted. Brian's cracking up.....AAAHHH!!!!!!!! I can't take it!

So I'm right behind Macca but please PLEASE rebuild and don't refresh.

Ghost Dog
19-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Tom Williams is still an experiment. Cooney's knee is rooted. Brian's cracking up.....AAAHHH!!!!!!!! I can't take it!

I agree with the bold bit. But the earlier statements are just hyperbole. Tom Williams is highly underrated and has had a bad run. Cooney's knee as I understand it is similar to McCloud's, who went on to have a decent career. Brian had a brain fade. 5 years before that, clean rap sheet.
Call it what you will, but we are just trying to get better, week in and week out.

Dancin' Douggy
19-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Sorry ghost dog, but it's not all just hyperbole.
Jones and Grant kick to save themselves.
Our solid reliable core of players are all very close to retirement.
Our midfield is slow and unskilled or very young and inexperienced.
(Griffen and Cooney*aside)
Tom Williams is not highly underrated. He is rated just about exactly fairly.
Has a lot of athletic potential, but due to injury and form, has never really established himself as a top player. He still plays as if he's learning the game IMHO.

*Cooney himself, and the club both admit his best is behind him.
I think his knee condition must be different to McLeod (correct spelling).
If you don't take their word........... then what does it take to convince you?

And Jarrad Grant is a giant praying mantis.

I don't see how you can challenge any of the above statements.

BulldogBelle
19-04-2012, 10:22 PM
I agree with the bold bit. But the earlier statements are just hyperbole. Tom Williams is highly underrated and has had a bad run. Cooney's knee as I understand it is similar to McCloud's, who went on to have a decent career. Brian had a brain fade. 5 years before that, clean rap sheet.
Call it what you will, but we are just trying to get better, week in and week out.

Is that a hamburger or a type of mattress?

One of McCartney's biggest challenges is to develop replacements for our ageing core of senior players (Lake, Boyd, Morris, Gia, Cross, Hargrave) - these guys are all past or pushing 30

The transition from our ongoing reliance on these guys week on week and developing their replacements is something that needs to be done in the next 18 months

Come 2014 there is chance that the vast majority of the above will be gone or on their last legs

LostDoggy
19-04-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm not trying to have a crack. But I simply refuse to buy into the 'refresh not rebuild' line.
A refresh suggests we're around the mark, but in my opinion we are miles off.
We're seeing the last of our reliable core. Our midfield (Griffen and Dalhaus aside) is slow and unskilled, or very young and inexperienced. Our two earmarked tall forwards are both Appalling set shots. Jones is a great contested mark but he doesn't lead to the right spots like a natural forward, and I just cringe as he walks in for a set shot.

Grant is an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a large praying mantis.
I don't what he is!
Our defense, even at full strength with all players in good form won't be around by the time Grant and Jones are serious mature players. Tom Williams is still an experiment. Cooney's knee is rooted. Brian's cracking up.....AAAHHH!!!!!!!! I can't take it!

Yes i respect and agree with all of what you said, and I also agree that we are a few years off challenging for the Grand Final again. The balance of age on the list is slightly concerning. I really liked the draft of Dickson, Austin age wise, just to try and get a group of balanced age together for when it is our time. We have a lot of kids and a lot of above 28 year olds. When Brodie Moles and Justin Sherman are running round at Williamstown or rehab it isn't ideal. I think Addison has been outstanding so far and back pocket is his to loose. All those forwards that get talked about Jones, Roughead Cordy (when not rucking) Dahlhaus and Grant ( fair call on the praying mantis) have hardly played 100 games between them. All coming through together and learning where each other runs and when, I am expecting us to get a hold of back lines big time in 3 years.

Leg speed in the guts i also agree with, we are going to have extractors everywhere (2014-17)!! Clay, Libba, Wallis etc so I see what is looking like 2 top 10 picks in this years super draft as just an incredible chance to add some serious class to compliment these 3 in particular and Howard and Tutt who i hope can play as soon as possible in the AFL as soon as possible :)