PDA

View Full Version : Best Laid Plans

azabob
19-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Article on the 3 clubs with new coaches - WB, Melbourne and St.Kilda.

Article is saying our contested ball is down compared to last year and highlights how poor our efficiency inside 50 is.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/best-laid-plans-20120418-1x7n9.html

LostDoggy
19-04-2012, 11:02 AM
In other words, the journo just guessed and made it up via generalised statements. Our efficiency is horrendous, but how is our contested ball possibly down compared to last year? In Round 2 last year we beat GC17 by 70 points but lost the contested possession AND clearances. I remember vividly because I was livid despite us winning comfortably on the scoreboard.

Conversely, we've beaten all our opponents on contested ball the last three rounds. He's just grabbed a random stat to justify so-called 'analysis'. Peter Hanlon is talking out of his arse, but I suppose that's no different to 99% of footy journos.

Maddog37
19-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Interesting points about Collingwood improving sharply though. Gives a bit of hope.

Mofra
19-04-2012, 11:44 AM
In other words, the journo just guessed and made it up via generalised statements. Our efficiency is horrendous, but how is our contested ball possibly down compared to last year?
He's using contested ball as a percentage of total possessions which is a fairly useless stat - winning the contest ball in a contest, against a real opponent, is what counts (and this is the measure that is up).

bornadog
19-04-2012, 11:48 AM
In other words, the journo just guessed and made it up via generalised statements. Our efficiency is horrendous, but how is our contested ball possibly down compared to last year? In Round 2 last year we beat GC17 by 70 points but lost the contested possession AND clearances. I remember vividly because I was livid despite us winning comfortably on the scoreboard.

Conversely, we've beaten all our opponents on contested ball the last three rounds. He's just grabbed a random stat to justify so-called 'analysis'. Peter Hanlon is talking out of his arse, but I suppose that's no different to 99% of footy journos.

On Contested Possessions - he is going by averages. Last year we averaged 147 per game and so far this year we are at 141 per game. Ranking amongst other clubs we are down slightly and sit around the middle.

LostDoggy
19-04-2012, 12:36 PM
On Contested Possessions - he is going by averages. Last year we averaged 147 per game and so far this year we are at 141 per game. Ranking amongst other clubs we are down slightly and sit around the middle.

I am aware of this BAD. See Mofra's comments re: what is more relevant measure, and why I called it plucking a stat at random to justify some nonsensical analysis. If Mr. Hanlon really thinks that winning the contested ball is our biggest (or second biggest) problem he has no bleepin' idea.

stefoid
19-04-2012, 01:53 PM

After only three rounds we have played Westcoast, Adelaide and the Saints and our 'average contested ability' is down apparently from last year?

A tiny sample size of tough opponents.

If he writes his article next week after we belt the GWS at contested posession, our average will be way up on last season, so... yeah.

DragzLS1
19-04-2012, 02:02 PM
WTF was that article :s useless

LostDoggy
19-04-2012, 08:40 PM

Could not agree more !!!

Remi Moses
20-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Gee, there's been a few lately.
That one Mark Stevens did on tanking and the grassy Noel conclusion that the Dogs and Dees activated their Compo picks cos' we're going to be poo!Usually don't mind Stevo's stuff but that was awful.

bornadog
20-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Could not agree more !!!

Looking at the article from the writers perspective, I think he was highlighting that there are teams with new coaches trying to change the gameplan but are they succeeding, do they have the players to carry out that gameplan.

I think he should have written the article in round 12 to see how they are travelling.