MCG, Sunday April 22, 4.40pm

Live on Fox Footy

Last 5 Games Head to Head:

Round 15, Etihad Western Bulldogs defeat Melbourne 127-63,

Round 7, MCG Melbourne defeated by Western Bulldogs 66-70

Round 8, MCG Melbourne defeated by Western Bulldogs 97-104,

Round 15, Etihad Western Bulldogs defeat Melbourne 95-64

Round 2, MCG Melbourne defeated by Western Bulldogs, 66-161

Melbourne hasn’t beaten the Dogs since 2007.
Note: 3 of the 5 wins have been at the MCG.

Form Leading In:

The Bulldogs have lost their first three games against pre-season finalists West Coast and Adelaide and the Saints. Last week’s game was the worst performance by a Bulldogs team at Eithad Stadium that I can remember. The Dogs won the inside 50’s but lost the match by 10 goals.

The coach said “ We had too many people reactive to the opposition and not thinking their way through it and that is going to be a challenge for myself and the coaches to realign” he also said “We are on the hunt for good teammates and we are on the hunt for people who want the team to be more efficient and not just going into games thinking “gee I hope I get a kick, I hope I play well and I hope I play a starring role”. Those days are gone and we are not going down that path. We are looking for good teammates who drive the team.”

The Demons have also started the season in disappointing fashion going down to Brisbane, West Coast and Richmond by an average of 68 points and have lost 9 of their last 10 matches. Inside 50’s have been the biggest issue as well as just getting their hands on the ball. Melbourne is ranked last on total disposals, last in tackles and second last in contested possessions.

Leading Player Stats

Western Bulldogs

M. Boyd 17.7 kicks, 17.3 hballs, 35.0 disps, 7.3 marks
R. Griffen 16.5 kicks, 8.0 hballs, 24.5 disps
R. Hargrave 13.7 kicks, 9.3 hballs, 23.0 disps, 6.3 marks
S. Higgins 12.7 kicks, 9.3 hballs, 22.0 disps, 6.0 marks
A. Cooney 12.7 kicks, 9.0 hballs, 21.7 disps

Melbourne Demons

J. Howe 14.0 kicks, 17.7 disps, 7.3 marks, 1.3 goals
J. Magner 12.7 kicks, 8.7 hballs, 21.3 disps
N. Jones 12.7 kicks, 8.7 hballs, 21.3 disps, 1.0 goals
J. Trengove 10.7 kicks, 18.0 disps, 1.0 goals
J. Watts 8.7 kicks, 15.7 disps, 6.0 marks

Western Bulldogs Line Up

B: Robert Murphy, Lukas Markovic, Dylan Addison
HB: Patrick Veszpremi, Ryan Hargrave, Easton Wood
C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Luke Dahlhaus
HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Jones, Adam Cooney
F: Nathan Djerrkura, Ayce Cordy, Justin Sherman
Foll: William Minson, Ryan Griffen, Liam Picken

I/C: Shaun Higgins, Jarrad Grant, Jordan Roughead, Mitchell Wallis,

In: Patrick Veszpremi, Justin Sherman, Mitchell Wallis,

Out: Brian Lake (Suspension), Clay Smith (Soreness)

Melbourne’s Line up

B: James Frawley, Jared Rivers, Clint Bartram
HB: Rohan Bail, Colin Garland, Luke Tapscott
C: Matthew Bate, Brent Moloney, Nathan Jones
HF: Jordie McKenzie, Jack Watts, Jeremy Howe
F: Tom McDonald, Mitchell Clark, Aaron Davey
Foll: Mark Jamar, James Magner, Jack Trengove

I/C: Lynden Dunn, Ricky Petterd, Cale Morton, Jack Fitzpatrick, Joel Macdonald, James Sellar, Thomas Couch

In: Brent Moloney, Ricky Petterd, Jack Fitzpatrick, Joel Macdonald, Thomas Couch

Out: Jack Grimes (Suspension), Stefan Martin
New: Thomas Couch (Grovedale)

Key Match Ups

Minson versus Jamar– The Bulldogs need a consistent effort from Minson on a weekly basis, he is our number one ruckman and against one of the better AFL ruckman in Jamar and big Will needs to play his best footy to beat him. Jamar is averaging 29 hitouts per game and is ranked 3rd whereas Minson ranked 14th and is averaging 21 hitouts.

Markovic versus Clark – When the ball does enter the Melbourne 50, they are efficient in getting goals with Clark one of their key targets. Clark kicked 5 against a very good defence in West Coast but was starved of opportunities against Richmond kicking only 2. Markovic is now playing against some big name players and other than the first quarter against West Coast when Kennedy kicked 4 goals he has been very solid, opting to punch the ball instead of going for the big mark.

The X Factor - Wish we had one:eek:

Where The Game Will Be Won and Lost:

Once more the midfield is where the game will be won or lost and both teams rely on one or two players. The Bulldogs captain has been in great form but must make sure his kicking efficiency is high. Boyd is averaging 35 disposals per game and needs to hurt the opposition. The Dees rely on Nathan Jones who also gets a lot of the ball, but is down on form and reflects on the team. Both midfields need help, and Griffen will need to make sure if he is tagged he is able to still influence the game. When Griffen dominates the dogs play well. Libba, Cooney must play their part and DJ, Sherman need to provide the run.

Both teams have failed to hit the score board, however, the dogs have been able to get the ball in their forward 50, but have not hit targets. Melbourne on the other hand are struggling to get the ball in their 50, but when they do, Clark, Howe have capitalised and kicked goals. Will we see a different forward set up this week? Jones is being slaughtered and has not had the ball delivered to him with any accuracy. I think we are looking for Jones too much and the opposition are double tagging him. Dahlhaus needs to play deeper and let Jones, Cordy bring the ball down so he can scoop on it.

Gia needs to show some leadership this week and direct the forward line and ensure every opportunity is fully exploited.

Verdict:

This is anyone’s game, both teams are desperate to win and show their new coaches they have come to grips with the new game plan.
Western Bulldogs by 1 point.

LostDoggy
19-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Great preview BAD!

Who does Picken go to? Davey? His out of form.. Trengove? Moloney? Or is he too much of an inside player to tag?

Jamar has been good in the ruck, but has been struggling around the ground. Minson showed really good signs last week (20+ disposals IIRC) If he can do this again but get in more damaging possessions he could really hurt Jamar.

Greystache
20-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Great preview BAD.

It should an interesting game, for once we're not going to be outpaced in the midfield, and our mature bodies should see us winning the ball a bit more freely and under less pressure. I think we'll actually score quite highly this week.

Melbourne doesn't have anyone who's an obvious tagging target, so I'd like to see Picken forward, he'll apply strong defensive pressure and knows how to kick a goal.

bornadog
20-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Great preview BAD.

It should an interesting game, for once we're not going to be outpaced in the midfield, and our mature bodies should see us winning the ball a bit more freely and under less pressure. I think we'll actually score quite highly this week.

Melbourne doesn't have anyone who's an obvious tagging target, so I'd like to see Picken forward, he'll apply strong defensive pressure and knows how to kick a goal.

Picken is one of my favourite players and some how I feel he is wasted tagging someone every week. A stint in the forward line would be great and as you say he knows how to kick a goal.

Ghost Dog
20-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Thanks BAD. Good write up. Who will be Sub you reckon?

bornadog
20-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks BAD. Good write up. Who will be Sub you reckon?

Depends a bit on the final team, but could be Wallis if he plays, or even poor old DJ (he seems to play the sub a bit)

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Good Preview BAD. From the line up Ayce Cordy will be playing full forward. How do you think he'll go here. He is very tall and that is one advantage.

bornadog
20-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Good Preview BAD. From the line Ayce Cordy will be playing full forward. How do you think he'll go here. He is very tall and that is one advantage.

It will depend on how we deliver the ball into the forward 50. Last week our delivery gave no chance to the forwards and they looked bad.

We need to be hitting players on the chest and not just bombing it in.

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 12:16 PM
It will depend on how we deliver the ball into the forward 50. Last week our delivery gave no chance to the forwards and they looked bad.

We need to be hitting players on the chest and not just bombing it in.

Agree with that. We just seem to kick it into the forward area and hope for the best. That won't get us too far. If we can find some targets up there then we will score goals. Is Cordy a good kick at goal? I know Jones marks well but as we have said many times his kicking lets him down.

jeemak
20-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Good review BAD!

I think this week's game will be a pretty ordinary example of the sport, as both teams are slow, poorly skilled and out of form!

Really want us to respect the football and use it with some consideration this week. Now more than ever simply being competitive and winning it isn't enough, even average teams burn you if you waste it.

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Good review BAD!

I think this week's game will be a pretty ordinary example of the sport, as both teams are slow, poorly skilled and out of form!

Really want us to respect the football and use it with some consideration this week. Now more than ever simply being competitive and winning it isn't enough, even average teams burn you if you waste it.

Especially if it rains then the game will be sluggish and goals will be worth more.

Mofra
20-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Especially if it rains then the game will be sluggish and goals will be worth more.
I'd expect us to win comfortably if it rains, our contested ball work has been the one shining light for us this year.

G-Mo77
20-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Howe in your review. One thing that worries me about the Melbourne forwards is Howe and the likes of Dunn and to a lesser extent Bate or are all around the 190cm mark and fairly strong and versatile. None are small, none are tall so they're all difficult matchups. If we starve them of opportunity we really shouldn't have a problem with the latter 2 but if the midfield bleeds easy possessions all 3 could cause headaches.

I'm not sure were Bate has lined up this season though. Usually he's a forward but he's named on the wing this week.

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Howe in your review. One thing that worries me about the Melbourne forwards is Howe and the likes of Dunn and to a lesser extent Bate or are all around the 190cm mark and fairly strong and versatile. None are small, none are tall so they're all difficult matchups. If we starve them of opportunity we really shouldn't have a problem with the latter 2 but if the midfield bleeds easy possessions all 3 could cause headaches.

I'm not sure were Bate has lined up this season though. Usually he's a forward but he's named on the wing this week.

How do you think our defence looks? Definitely Lake and Morris are big losses to that defence. How far away is Morris? I believe Round 6 against Collingwood he will return. Lake obviously is suspended for the week.

G-Mo77
20-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't think our defence has been that bad this year. It's not ideal for Sunday but we're fortunate they're not that great up front.

Easton Wood, Ryan Hargrave, Mark Austin, Dylan Addison, Lukas Markovic, Robert Murphy I think will be the starting back 6.

Some matchups I think will take place. Marko will take Clarke which is a no brainer, Addison follows Davey, Shaggy/Wood on Watts, Austin takes resting ruck/McDonald. Wood/Shaggy on Howe.

Greystache
20-04-2012, 03:11 PM

From the bits I've seen of Melbourne this year he's mostly been playing up the ground, including stints in the centre.

Bulldog Joe
20-04-2012, 04:13 PM
After travelling to attend the first 3 games and finding little time (or inclination) to watch replays, I am back in Tassie and now hoping rather than expecting a win.

Pleased to see Sherman in as we certainly need run. Also be handy if we could actually dispose of the ball to advantage, rather than just give it to the opposition.

Like to see the forwards be a bit aggressive with leads and demand the ball.

Ghost Dog
20-04-2012, 07:11 PM
I just hope we play our game and excecute a plan for four quarters. The players keep apologetically explaining after losses that they didn't stick to their structures and that's why things fell apart. Stick to your guns boys.

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I just hope we play our game and excecute a plan for four quarters. The players keep apologetically explaining after losses that they didn't stick to their structures and that's why things fell apart. Stick to your guns boys.

Lets hope this weekend everything falls into place for us and we get a bit of confidence and that winning mentality back which is important.

G-Mo77
20-04-2012, 07:36 PM

The same excuses came out last year. It's either just a throw away line or we have some very dense players out there.

bornadog
20-04-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't think our defence has been that bad this year. It's not ideal for Sunday but we're fortunate they're not that great up front.

Easton Wood, Ryan Hargrave, Mark Austin, Dylan Addison, Lukas Markovic, Robert Murphy I think will be the starting back 6.

Some matchups I think will take place. Marko will take Clarke which is a no brainer, Addison follows Davey, Shaggy/Wood on Watts, Austin takes resting ruck/McDonald. Wood/Shaggy on Howe.

Austin didn't make it in.

Ins are Vez, Wallis and Shrman and out is Lake, Libba and Smith

Looks like Roughie may be required down back again.

Go_Dogs
20-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Nice work on the preview BAD - we have to win this one, and we should. Hopefully we can kick 15+ goals for the game and build confidence and momentum.

Sockeye Salmon
20-04-2012, 07:56 PM
The same excuses came out last year. It's either just a throw away line or we have some very dense players out there.

Of course they don't mean it.

They can't very well come out and say "it was all Higgins and Gia's fault" like supporters do.

G-Mo77
20-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Of course they don't mean it.

They can't very well come out and say "it was all Higgins and Gia's fault" like supporters do.

No Addison? :D

Scraggers
21-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Austin didn't make it in.

Ins are Vez, Wallis and Shrman and out is Lake, Libba and Smith

Looks like Roughie may be required down back again.

This surprises me ... Why is Libba out ?? (Granted I haven't been able to watch a game this year so far, but from the reports on here he was doing okay ... Is he injured?

Ghost Dog
21-04-2012, 12:08 PM
This surprises me ... Why is Libba out ?? (Granted I haven't been able to watch a game this year so far, but from the reports on here he was doing okay ... Is he injured?

In the video on the WB site they indicated they wanted to rest some younger players. What better time to rest him than against a bunch of silver spooners like Melbourne?
I know, we are gagging for a win. But, If we can't get over the line against this mob without Libba then it's time to change our name to the Western Poodles.

G-Mo77
21-04-2012, 12:39 PM
In the video on the WB site they indicated they wanted to rest some younger players. What better time to rest him than against a bunch of silver spooners like Melbourne?
I know, we are gagging for a win. But, If we can't get over the line against this mob without Libba then it's time to change our name to the Western Poodles.

I really think you're under estimating how bad we actually are. Melbourne have been bad but honestly we're not that much better.

Ghost Dog
21-04-2012, 02:41 PM
I really think you're under estimating how bad we actually are. Melbourne have been bad but honestly we're not that much better.

Maybe you are overestimating how bad we are? Robert Walls says we are going to win and you know he's always right :D

Prince Imperial
21-04-2012, 02:56 PM

Six disposals only last week before being subbed off just before three quarter time. Only 13 the week before (again as a midfielder). Had a good first game but he's really struggled the last two weeks. Wallis deserves a game ahead of him this round.

EasternWest
21-04-2012, 03:44 PM
No Addison? :D

He's never blamed for the losses. He's just not up to it:).

LostDoggy
21-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Sherman is in for Smith so expect him to spend most of his time in the midfield , players like Boyd and Cross will be getting the ball out to Dahlhaus and Wallis and Griffen and Sherman will play on the edges of zones
With Djerrkura replacing Dahlhaus in the forward line I expect him to spend the majority of his there as a crumber and applying defensive pressure , Jones needs to push higher than the 50m arc and Cooney needs to be in the hole between Jones and Cordy , Gia needs to play a sweeping role across the 40m arc and I,d really like to to see him barking orders and showing some leadership his partnership with Djerrkura will be important
Both Minson and Roughead when they are on Jamar they need to try to drag him towards our forward line and stop him from getting forward
The kickins have to be long to a target like Roughead or shorter to Griffen , last week was appalling and we do lack an elite kick like Gilbee , if we start to struggle on the kickins Melbourne will just pushing extra numbers forward to choke the space and lock the ball in
Melbourne are vulnerable to the switch of play which comes back to the corridor but are only exposed for a short period of time if the opposition is slow to use it , if we switch play we have to move the ball quickly this can only happen if we have players working hard to present in good positions

Mantis
21-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Sherman is in for Smith so expect him to spend most of his time in the midfield , players like Boyd and Cross will be getting the ball out to Dahlhaus and Wallis and Griffin and Sherman will play on the edges of zones
With Djerrkura replacing Dahlhaus in the forward line I expect him to spend the majority of his there as a crumber and applying defensive pressure , Jones needs to push higher than the 50m arc and Cooney needs to be in the hole between Jones and Cordy , Gia needs to play a sweeping role across the 40m arc and I,d really like to to see him barking orders and showing some leadership his partnership with Djerrkura will be important
Both Minson and Roughead when they are on Jamar they need to try to drag him towards our forward line and stop him from getting forward

Instead of barking orders I would prefer Gia to get a few touches and lead by example.

Flamethrower
22-04-2012, 10:44 AM
According to Herald Sun Twitter: Possible late change for today - Lukas Markovic is under an injury cloud with Mark Austin on standby to replace him.

Ghost Dog
22-04-2012, 10:47 AM
If it is going to be played a lot around the boundary, as is their style, going to be a very busy day for our rucks. Jamar has no back up today so guessing Clarke will support him.

Hope midfielders have a license to carry the thing into the 50 and just have a go.

GVGjr
22-04-2012, 11:18 AM
According to Herald Sun Twitter: Possible late change for today - Lukas Markovic is under an injury cloud with Mark Austin on standby to replace him.

It's the reason why we promoted Austin but never selected him in the original side. We needed him promoted because Markovic was doubtful.

bornadog
22-04-2012, 11:28 AM
It's the reason why we promoted Austin but never selected him in the original side. We needed him promoted because Markovic was doubtful.

Panos has been playing in the backline. Is Austin ahead of Panos in form at the moment?

G-Mo77
22-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Panos has been playing in the backline. Is Austin ahead of Panos in form at the moment?

Panos has hardly played this year so yeah he would be.

Before I Die
22-04-2012, 12:34 PM

From the "Willy Wrap" by Peter German

"Austin: He was solid again with his second game in VFL football this year. Ozzie has been almost our best defender in the past few weeks just for his sheer determined nature and the way he has been able to nullify his opponents. He played on a tall in his first game and on the weekend he played on a smaller typed forward and was able to adapt really well to both types of players".

Link to full article (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/133548/default.aspx)

Austin was injured throughout the pre-season games so didn't play, was best afield in his first game for Williamstown and got the above wrap from the Coach for his second game. He also has 15 games experience at AFL level and is only 23 with his years at Carlton being severely affected by injury. There seems to be a little negativity towards his promotion , which I can only presume is because he wasn't sighted during the pre-season, but a guy can't play if he is injured. At the moment it looks like his drafting was a very smart decision and I am hoping for a good debut with us. He is 194cm and physically mature at 95kg, very strong in the air, knows how to defend, and apparently can play tall or small. Let's get excited about his potential and see what he can do, rather than grump and grumble about why we didn't promote somebody else.

ps BAD I am not directing all of this at you, I have just used your quote as the most recent post possibly questioning his inclusion before somebody else.

bornadog
22-04-2012, 12:51 PM

"Austin: He was solid again with his second game in VFL football this year. Ozzie has been almost our best defender in the past few weeks just for his sheer determined nature and the way he has been able to nullify his opponents. He played on a tall in his first game and on the weekend he played on a smaller typed forward and was able to adapt really well to both types of players".

Link to full article (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/133548/default.aspx)

Austin was injured throughout the pre-season games so didn't play, was best afield in his first game for Williamstown and got the above wrap from the Coach for his second game. He also has 15 games experience at AFL level and is only 23 with his years at Carlton being severely affected by injury. There seems to be a little negativity towards his promotion , which I can only presume is because he wasn't sighted during the pre-season, but a guy can't play if he is injured. At the moment it looks like his drafting was a very smart decision and I am hoping for a good debut with us. He is 194cm and physically mature at 95kg, very strong in the air, knows how to defend, and apparently can play tall or small. Let's get excited about his potential and see what he can do, rather than grump and grumble about why we didn't promote somebody else.

ps BAD I am not directing all of this at you, I have just used your quote as the most recent post possibly questioning his inclusion before somebody else.

I thought his upgrade was the right thing to do as we are really decinated in the backline with all our regular talls out. I just haven't seen him play and was asking the regular Willi watchers what they thought.

If he plays well and stays injury free he will be a bargain and as you say at 23 years old, the best years are ahead of him.

Eastdog
22-04-2012, 12:54 PM

From that report out of Williamstown sounds like he will be a very good addition to our team especially now that he is injury free.