PDA

View Full Version : Round 4 - Non Bulldog Games

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 11:42 AM
This thread is for discussion for all the other Round 4 matches. It all starts tonight with St Kilda taking on Fremantle. Tomorrow afternoon another blockbuster with rivals Carlton taking on Essendon.

G-Mo77
20-04-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm smiling after seeing the blonde diving champ cop one a cross the chops, not get a free kick for it and Freo score a goal. :D

Sedat
20-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Nice to see the love affair between Shane McInerney and Nick Riewoldt is as strong as ever...

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 11:05 PM
1 point ball game.

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Could go either way. Saints back within a goal.

Sedat
20-04-2012, 11:30 PM
When Stephen Hill learns to consistently deal with a hard tag, he will be one of the elite jets of the competition. Massive 2nd half tonight on the cheat.

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 11:33 PM
That was a good win by Freo especially for them away from their home.

comrade
20-04-2012, 11:33 PM
When Stephen Hill learns to consistently deal with a hard tag, he will be one of the elite jets of the competition. Massive 2nd half tonight on the cheat.

We don't have one player who even gets close to his kicking ability. Liam Jones must have been crying watching that sort of delivery.

Sedat
20-04-2012, 11:44 PM
We don't have one player who even gets close to his kicking ability. Liam Jones must have been crying watching that sort of delivery.I feel like we've missed a trick again with the way the game is trending. Teams are taking risks through the corridor in order to clear the hard press but this takes a combination of precise disposal by foot and leg speed (or in North's case, quick ball movement by hand). The old Saints footy has been rendered obsolete, and my great fear is that that we have adopted elements of the St Kilda circa 2009 game plan and have recruited accordingly. Teams that can run and spread (Freo, North, Carlton) are setting the pace in 2012. Too early to call it a definitive trend but it is worrying when considering where we currently are at.

Remi Moses
21-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Freo would have dropped that game in any other year.
Hill breaking the tag on Jones was pivotal, Dal Santo proving again he can't handle any attention. Thought the run, carry and spread hurt Stkilda massively.
Hill's game showed we need to draft polished footballers.
Incredible tonight The German Diver had a free missed:eek:

Sedat
21-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Thought the run, carry and spread hurt Stkilda massively.Hence why they toyed with us last week

Incredible tonight The German Diver had a free missed:eek:Not from Shane McInerney ;)

Eastdog
21-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Score Updates:

Essendon 102 Carlton 72

Collinwgood 83 Port Adelaide 56

Remi Moses
21-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Well well well
A certain navy blue team may have got ahead of itself
Hopefully shut their obnoxious supporters up!
Essendon were tremendous, don't reckon Carlton can win a flag with that forward line
Another loss next week and the familiar ring of Sack Ratten will eminate

Eastdog
21-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Just flicked on the Adelaide v GWS game. The Giants aren't doing too badly. The rain in Adelaide may actually help them. The Crows though will I think still win big.

Mantis
21-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Freo would have dropped that game in any other year.
Hill breaking the tag on Jones was pivotal, Dal Santo proving again he can't handle any attention. Thought the run, carry and spread hurt Stkilda massively.
Hill's game showed we need to draft polished footballers.
Incredible tonight The German Diver had a free missed:eek:

Hill broke the tag by work really hard in the 2nd half.. Griffen who had the same cheat playing on him gave up last week and excepted he was in for a rough night.

Eastdog
21-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Still no goals between West Coast and Hawthorn. Eagles leads 7 behinds to Hawks 3 behinds.

Mantis
21-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Still no goals between West Coast and Hawthorn. Eagles leads 7 behinds to Hawks 3 behinds.

I'm pretty sure most of us have access to a TV or scores on the internet.

I think on this forum it's best to talk about the games rather than the scores.

Remi Moses
21-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Hill broke the tag by work really hard in the 2nd half.. Griffen who had the same cheat playing on him gave up last week and excepted he was in for a rough night.

Agree, griff just can't except he's going to be beaten.

Greystache
21-04-2012, 09:24 PM
For anyone watching the "Q clash" have a look at the amount of blocking work K Hunt does off the ball at the stoppages, every bounce he's in the middle of it and never even looks to win the ball himself, just makes sure Ablett is free to attack it. It makes such a big difference for Gold Coast.

Mantis
21-04-2012, 09:41 PM
For anyone watching the "Q clash" have a look at the amount of blocking work K Hunt does off the ball at the stoppages, every bounce he's in the middle of it and never even looks to win the ball himself, just makes sure Ablett is free to attack it. It makes such a big difference for Gold Coast.

Almost fell asleep watching the other game so flicked it over to this game.. Noticed this too, and would think a player like Griffen would love a team-mate like Hunt looking out for him.

Greystache
21-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Almost fell asleep watching the other game so flicked it over to this game.. Noticed this too, and would think a player like Griffen would love a team-mate like Hunt looking out for him.

It makes me think Ablett might've demanded Gold Coast do whatever it took to keep Hunt. We've got the cattle to do the same for Griffen but not the inclination.

Did you see the beard giving it to Josh Fraser for ducking his head in a marking contest in the goal square?

westdog54
21-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Just flicked on the Adelaide v GWS game. The Giants aren't doing too badly. The rain in Adelaide may actually help them. The Crows though will I think still win big.

Crows win fairly comfortably but Israel Folau kicks his first goal in the AFL, drilling a set shot from outside 50 after a strong lead and mark.

He'll pick up a little bit more confidence each week, he'll be fine.

Eastdog
21-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Crows win fairly comfortably but Israel Folau kicks his first goal in the AFL, drilling a set shot from outside 50 after a strong lead and mark.

He'll pick up a little bit more confidence each week, he'll be fine.

With Hunt and Folau they are still learning a lot about the game of AFL and the more they are playing the more they will improve.

Mantis
21-04-2012, 10:13 PM
It makes me think Ablett might've demanded Gold Coast do whatever it took to keep Hunt. We've got the cattle to do the same for Griffen but not the inclination

Not sure on the first bit, but I like the idea that GC try and free up their best player and have players willing to play unselfish roles.

Did you see the beard giving it to Josh Fraser for ducking his head in a marking contest in the goal square?

Huddo loves giving it to players who put in half steps.

Remi Moses
21-04-2012, 10:45 PM
What's the theory on the woeful conversion rate?
Must be with the constant movement players are just to stuffed !
An aspect of the game which has steadily declined.

Hotdog60
21-04-2012, 11:06 PM

GC stuffed up with Fraser, they should have gone for Will when they had the chance.

Remi Moses
22-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Did GC pick up any young key backs with their Picks?
Looks remarkably like the same recruiting Clayton did with us.

Mantis
22-04-2012, 06:00 AM

None, but there weren't any highly rated defenders when they had all their picks so no use picking them just for the sake of it.

I guess their theory was to get the best players in and then try and balance their list at a later date.

chef
22-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Henry Schade with their first pick in last years draft, Tall defender from Tassie who had some good wraps on him.

Sedat
22-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I guess their theory was to get the best players in and then try and balance their list at a later date.Scotty Clayton did this with us the majority of the time but I don't think we ever got a truly balanced list together once in the 11 years he was there. If GC can't get any quality key young defenders in the next couple of drafts they will have a hole on their list when they are ready to contend.

By the way, I thought West Coke v Hawthorn was a cracker. Unbelievable intensity at the contest and both teams refused to yield to the oncoming pressure - made for some skill execution errors but intensity was finals like.

bornadog
22-04-2012, 11:31 AM

So Lake and Williams weren't Clayton picks:rolleyes:

G-Mo77
22-04-2012, 11:38 AM

Is it just Griffen or his teammates not helping him out? Cooney always had trouble breaking tags as well. They could work harder but so could the others in the midfield. Lay a block once in a while and it wouldn't be as hard to break.

Desipura
22-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Sure where, we missed out on Franklin with an earlier pick (Griffen) in the Williams draft, you can spin the argument for and against Clayton.
The fact of the matter is failing to pick Buddy has not only cost us a great player, it could have set us up financially for the next 10 years.
I watched a fair bit of u18 that year and whilst I am no recruiting expert, I was hoping that we would pick him up. Went on another site and made mention at the time we just had to pick him. Bumped into Smorgon, even mentioned it to him a few weeks prior to the draft, not that he would have anything to do with recruiting.
I dont buy the line, other clubs had concerns/doubts about Buddy as well. Sometimes we over analyse players and overlook one of the most important things......ability.

Ghost Dog
22-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Just saw K Hunts highlights from the Brisbane / GC game. Man his game is really coming along. Impressive. His hand passes are funny, kind of passes them a few feet in front of the flow along the ground. Harbrow out with a shoulder. Poor guy ^_^

GVGjr
22-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Sure where, we missed out on Franklin with an earlier pick (Griffen) in the Williams draft, you can spin the argument for and against Clayton.
The fact of the matter is failing to pick Buddy has not only cost us a great player, it could have set us up financially for the next 10 years.
I watched a fair bit of u18 that year and whilst I am no recruting expert, I and was hoping that we would pick him up. Went on another site and made mention at the time we just had to pick him. Bumped into Smorgon, even mentioned it to him a few weeks prior to the draft, not that he would have anything to do with recruiting.
I dont buy the line, other clubs had concerns as well. Sometimes we over analyse players and overlook one of the most important things......ability.

I'm assuming you saw Franklin at the U18 Championships here in Melbourne rather than any games in WA? Before the U18 Champioships Buddy was regarded clearly as the number one player in the country but his performance though the Carnival was largely disappointing (very poor) and it's why even the Hawks had Roughead ahead of him. He also had some off field family issues that had some Melbourne based clubs doubting their ability to keep him.
The Hawks nailed the draft netting Roughead, Franklin and Jordan Lewis with their 3 early picks but I don't think for one minute that the Hawks, Tigers or Bulldogs thought Buddy was a 100% safe 1st pick for them. He's now one of the elite players in the game with an athletic prowess that very few players have.

Desipura
22-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm assuming you saw Franklin at the U18 Championships here in Melbourne rather than any games in WA? Before the U18 Champioships Buddy was regarded clearly as the number one player in the country but his performance though the Carnival was largely disappointing (very poor) and it's why even the Hawks had Roughead ahead of him. He also had some off field family issues that had some Melbourne based clubs doubting their ability to keep him.
The Hawks nailed the draft netting Roughead, Franklin and Jordan Lewis with their 3 early picks but I don't think for one minute that the Hawks, Tigers or Bulldogs thought Buddy was a 100% safe 1st pick for them. He's now one of the elite players in the game with an athletic prowess that very few players have.
I did see him in Melbourne and I recall a game at Geelong when he hardly touched it in slippery conditons. But when he did, you could see he had an aura about him.
Kicked the winning goal with a mongrel kick on the siren.
I do agree with you that he was not a 100% safe bet as a 1st pick, Collingwood at the time rated Griffen the number 1 pick.

Greystache
22-04-2012, 03:29 PM

In 11 years Clayton only drafted 3 players over 190cm that have played 100 games- Minson, who at best is a very average AFL player, Williams who would struggle to get a game if Clayton had managed to get any of his other tall player selections right, and Lake.

The scariest thing is Lake was a 50/50 call that Clayton chose at the last selection over a project tall midfielder. To this day the only reason Clayton ended up going with Lake was he thought drafting him would have a more positive impact on his life than the other kid. To say the only gun tall player we picked up under Clayton (perhaps except Jones but that's yet to be determined) was lucky is being generous.

EasternWest
22-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Terrible injury to Gary Rohan. Looks like a tib/fib. Tv only showed the replay once. Ugly stuff.

Greystache
22-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Terrible injury to Gary Rohan. Looks like a tib/fib. Tv only showed the replay once. Ugly stuff.

Yep, you could see his foot flapping around as he went to ground. Very similar to the injury soccer players get in a crude tackle.

You'd think his tibia would require a nail, probably a 12 month injury.

Maddog37
22-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Poor bugger gets hurt alot.

bornadog
22-04-2012, 04:53 PM
How many close games do Geelong win? They are masters at it.

G-Mo77
24-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Anyone see Huddo giving it to Josh Fraser on the weekend. :D

I still love the guy!

The Coon Dog
24-04-2012, 02:51 PM

I still love the guy!

Yeah, I still have a soft spot for the People's Beard. It will be funny to see him against us. Most players will be laughing I think.

bornadog
24-04-2012, 03:43 PM

I still love the guy!

Yeah The Beard can't stand soft-cocks.:D

Remi Moses
25-04-2012, 04:18 AM
That was hilarious. Murphy said last night sledging keeps the Beard going, and gives him energy.