PDA

View Full Version : Round 4 - Angels and Sinners

westdog54
21-04-2012, 05:19 PM
This is the round 4 edition of the weekly "Saints and Sinners" thread. Once the game against Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for no more than three "Saints", who did something positive that caught your eye, and three "sinners", who are in your scopes for criticism. Try and make it constructive criticism.

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions.

Mofra
22-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Angels:

Djerkurra - set the scene early, ran hard, chased, very impressed today

Murphy - sensational. What we wouldn't give for two of him

Dalhaus - was Dalhaus

Sinners:

Gia - very quiet in the first half, lifted a little in the second half but still looks very slow to react for a guy who normally reads the play so well.

Boyd - tagged by Magner, I think the Demons would be happy with Magner's efforts today on a day that was really made for Boyd

Rance Fan
22-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Angels -
Cooney - showed has plenty to offer still
Cross - solid game i thought
Wallis - 7 tackles

Sinners -
Wood - was still bit too messy
Addison - similar to Wood
Cordy - weather didnt suit but would of liked a lil more. Need that 1st goal

GVGjr
22-04-2012, 08:56 PM
I'll add a bit more once I get home but a couple of Austins efforts were worthy additions.

Remi Moses
22-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Angels - Dahlhaus ( great again)
Murphy- outstanding first half, clearly out best backman
Cooney- really encouraged today, had some of his zip back
Jack Watts - got out pointed by a player half his size( how was he picked ahead of nic Nat)
Wood - see above
DJ- very good first half( would you believe, I saw a bulldog shepherd )
Our ball use was a big improvement today

Sinners- Gia, he looked slow and went to ground to often(might need a spell at Willy)

Gee forgot Mitch Wallis in the Saints part( best game for the club)

always right
22-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Thought Addison and Wood were very solid tonight.

Apart from the obvious ones I thought Minson was terrific....worked hard all night and eventually got on top of Jamar. I appreciated his effort.

bornadog
22-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Angels

Loved DJ's game today, all the little things he did
Murphy, Cross, Hargrave, Addison all us steady today
Dahlhaus - Love this kid he is amazing
Roughie - good effort when playing a role he is not use to
Wallis- his best game for the club.

Sinners

Cordy's shot at goal - pathetic for an AFL player from 30 metres out and couldn't make the distance.

Gia - time for a spell, two weeks of poor footy

Sedat
22-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Angels:
Dahlhaus - Mentioned this in the game day thread but his effort in the 3rd qtr to take the big hip & shoulder, get straight back up and make a couple of repeat efforts that resulted in an important goal, was sensational
Addison - Defended very well all night. Backed himself on a number of occasions and killed a number of key contests. He is as in form in the art of actually defending as Easton Wood is out of form

Sinners:
Gia - Fell over in almost every single one on one contest. Terrible game.

Ghost Dog
22-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Angels -
Cooney - showed has plenty to offer still
Cross - solid game i thought
Wallis - 7 tackles

Sinners -
Wood - was still bit too messy
Addison - similar to Wood
Cordy - weather didnt suit but would of liked a lil more. Need that 1st goal

What is it with Addison haters? He did some great things tonight. I really think it's a perception thing.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2012, 09:26 PM
What is it with Addison haters? He did some great things tonight. I really think it's a perception thing.

Agree. Really stood up in couple of big contests when the Melbourne were coming hard at us.

Bulldog Joe
22-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Thought Addison and Wood were very solid tonight.

Apart from the obvious ones I thought Minson was terrific....worked hard all night and eventually got on top of Jamar. I appreciated his effort.

I thought Wil was terrific in driving the ball forward, particularly at the start of the last quarter when we really needed it.

Gia looks to be playing sore and I would agree he needs a spell. Struggled to run or bend.

Rance Fan
22-04-2012, 09:29 PM

Maybe your right. He did play reasonable i thought, just was a lil messy, maybe i was wrong.?
The weather made it tough for all.

jazzadogs
22-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Angels:
Picken - 10+ tackles, always puts in his maximum effort.
Dahlhaus - super
Djerkurra - his start to the game was exactly what we need from him on a consistent basis. Dropped out slightly as the game wore on, but I was really impressed with his overall game.

Sinners:
Gia - gets unfairly criticised at times, but had a mare today
Boyd - not really a sinner, but he cost me my fantasy footy match!

Ghost Dog
22-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Agree. Really stood up in couple of big contests when the Melbourne were coming hard at us.

Said it at the start of the preseason. Addison is going to thrive under BMAC.

anfo27
22-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Angels
Dahlhaus- what a smart player this kid is. every time he gets it something good happens. 23 posses & 15 scoring involvements.
DJ- really thought he was terrific tonight, keep it up.
Cooney- looked good today, fingers crossed he can stay on top of his knee issues.

Sinners
Gia- awful tonight, liability at times.
Commentators for being so biased towards the demons

Desipura
22-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Angels:
Dahlhaus makes things happen, 5 scoring assists!
Djerkurra was impressive for 3 quarters
Addison, I dont rate him as a player however some of his one on one work in the last qtr was very good.
Vespa was ok for 2 qtrs with some nice long kicks to our forwards (now see sinners)

Sinners:
Gia's time has come, see out the year and retire with your head held high. Too slow for the modern game, starting to buckle his knees when he is in a 50/50 contest rather than keeping his feet.
Cross got 28 posessions but the majority of them were nothing posessions. That dropped mark late in the 2nd was shocking and worse still he went to ground as he normally does.
I would rather he got dropped than Libba.
Vespa was absolutely physically spent midway during the 3rd qtr and got worse in the last qtr. I could not believe at one stage that we had sent Wood to the bench when Vespa was running on the spot and was blowing hard. I think he needs to be the sub as he cannot play 4 qtrs.

LostDoggy
22-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Angels:
I would rather he got dropped than Libba.

As far as i'm aware he didn't play in the 2s today, so it looks like he was just rested

Eastdog
22-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Where would you guys rate Cordy's game was he more toward an angel or closer to a sinner.

Desipura
22-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Where would you guys rate Cordy's game was he more toward an angel or closer to a sinner.
More a sinner, did some nice things below his knees however never really looked like taking a mark.

Eastdog
22-04-2012, 10:01 PM
More a sinner, did some nice things below his knees however never really looked like taking a mark.

Our forward line I thought once again let us down but there were some good marks in there.

Dogmatic
22-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Angels:
Dj - best game I've seen him play. I had the black line through his name but now I think he may have something to offer.
Addison- he played exceptionally well.
Wallis- showed some good signs, the conditions suited him, slow and sloppy football.
Dahlhaus- absolute gun!

Vespa and Sherman were good additions to the team.

Sinners:
Gia...although he still kicked two goals.
Wood for some poor decision making

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-04-2012, 10:09 PM

I thought tonight proved how much better Roughead performed than Cordy. Cordy lacks mobility and needs to go back to willy.
Angels: Dahlhaus and Murphy outstanding.
DJ really impressed and should cement his place in the team.
Sinners:
Gia was terrible for the second week in a row.

ledge
22-04-2012, 10:09 PM

A saint, he presented, gave us something to aim for and the weather didnt help.

Ghost Dog
22-04-2012, 10:11 PM

It's wet, shocking conditions for big men. How does that make him a sinner?

Ghost Dog
22-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I thought tonight proved how much better Roughead performed than Cordy. Cordy lacks mobility and needs to go back to willy.
Angels: Dahlhaus and Murphy outstanding.
DJ really impressed and should cement his place in the team.
Sinners:
Gia was terrible for the second week in a row.

Totally disagree having watched the game tonight.

SonofScray
22-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Angels:
Cross, Roughead, Picken and Murph

Sinners:
Cordy, Boyd, Gia.

Interesting that our best performance and result involved less output from our skipper. Less touches = less turnovers.

SonofScray
22-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Totally disagree having watched the game tonight.

Agree. He is mobile, moves well. Just lacks that bit of burst at the contest.

AndrewP6
22-04-2012, 10:58 PM
A
Dahlhaus - little ripper. That is all.
Sherm - provided a bit of much needed zip, thought he attacked the ball well
DJ- thought he did well, used his speed and got past some defenders.

Honourable mentions to Coons, Murph and DFA for some terrific work.

S
Gia - I'm a fan, but boy he looks woeful. Is he injured? If so, why play him?
Cordy - Can't make the distance from 30-odd metres?

EDIT: Forgot a dishonourable mention: to the thousands of Melbourne toffs who scurried for cover when the rain started in the first quarter. :D

BulldogBelle
22-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Angels:
Cross, Roughead, Picken and Murph

Sinners:
Cordy, Boyd, Gia.

Interesting that our best performance and result involved less output from our skipper. Less touches = less turnovers.

Agree to an extent

Cant see why we wouldn't make Boyd our tagger to release Picken to the forward line and a less restrictive midfield role

Picken's skills are very reasonable and he can find a goal

That and Boyd could do more blocking and bullocking to release our more silkier ball winners

Boyd needs to be the first or second in the chain and not the last (eg the kicker / playmaker)

Ling tagged when he was the Geelong captain

jeemak
22-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Angels:

Addison - Didn't think he was up to it prior to the season, always knew he tried though. Tonight the only time it showed he might struggle was against some much larger opponents, and he was very clean often.

Roughead - He's had some quiet times over the last year or so, though he showed tonight a willingness to compete and some sharp skills for a ruckman. Excellent finish in the wet for a big man with his goal (understand he didn't get a lot of it though).

Murphy - Elite player, and was by far the standout on the ground over different stages of the game.

Picken - The only onballer who maintained consistent output across the game. Irrespective of his ongoing endeavour I was not confident he could add more to his game beyond shut down roles. Games like tonight begin to convince me otherwise.

Cooney - Very solid game. Always looked dangerous and converted goal scoring opportunities like a class players should.

Quick handballing - I think we must have been working on this aspect of our game over summer. Some of the situations with a wet ball that we managed to navigate by hand in close were very impressive.

Sinners:

Cross - Not his fault he got a two year deal rather than a single year, though some of his handling and pace issues were exacerbated tonight. Hopefully it was an off night for him, though I was extremely frustrated with him going next man up at stoppages leaving us short on ball when we looked to be struggling to hold Maloney and Jones in parts.

Gia - Not likely to find a bigger supporter on this board than myself, though I thought he looked tired and sore tonight. He's a player that requires full mental capacity to make up for his physical deficiencies, and tonight he wasn't switched on. The delivery to him isn't likely to improve, so he either needs to put up with frustration and find another way to add value to the side. He kicked two though, and should be given another week.

On Ballers - I thought we let ourselves down at some key stoppages today, and let Melbourne get back at us from time to time due to a lack of leadership and initiative that allowed Maloney and Jones to bullock their way through some contests when they could have been easily stopped.

Greystache
22-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Angels

Dahlhaus- so creative, but also brave and a strong mark for his size.

DJ- great attack and was pretty clean, it would be great if this was a breakout game for him.

Sherman- quiet start, but his second quarter was just brilliant.

Sinners

Gia- he's really struggling to keep up.

Griffen- after a great start went very quiet.

SonofScray
22-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Angels

Dahlhaus- so creative, but also brave and a strong mark for his size.

DJ- great attack and was pretty clean, it would be great if this was a breakout game for him.

Sherman- quiet start, but his second quarter was just brilliant.

Sinners

Gia- he's really struggling to keep up.

Griffen- after a great start went very quiet.

Was involved in some scoring assists through traffic, kicked a goal. His celebrations are immense, deserves a medal on that alone. We love him.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Saints:

1. Addison -- His disposal and decision making has imrpoved significantly so far, and when you add this to his sheer competitiveness, you get a guy in career best form. Hopefully he keeps this up -- he's our most reliable defender at the minute.

2. Dahlhaus -- Simply creates and is just such a positive player. Always looks to keep the ball in front of him, or keep it moving forward. His skills are fantastic -- he's easily kicking 50m now which is very impressive. Defensive pressure is great, too.

3. Sherman -- Thought he was important today. Not much is ever made of his attackon the ball, but it's pretty fierce. He kicked an exceptional goal today and gave us some run too.

Special mentions to Murphy, Roughead, DJ and Cooney.

Sinners:

1. Gia -- Not good enough from a leader. He's really in poor form and is a liability. He's giving away free kicks, he's applying no defensive pressure and he isn't providing much of a target to kick to either. Needs to be dropped, or rested if he's injured.

2. Cordy -- The kick that didn't make the distance was shocking. He really doesn't have any penetration with his kicking. Still showed some OK signs at times.

3. Cross -- He falls to the ground too easily in a contest to try and compensate for his severe lack of pace and his skill level was poor (dropped chest mark, missed targets by foot/hand in the last qtr). I've voiced my opinion enough though on Cross.

jeemak
22-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Saints:

3. Sherman -- Thought he was important today. Not much is ever made of his attackon the ball, but it's pretty fierce. He kicked an exceptional goal today and gave us some run too.

His effort going back with the flight was one where I thought he could have really ended up in hospital.

If he keeps applying himself at the contest like he did tonight, and gains some confidence in his decision making he'll be a very handy player.

Greystache
22-04-2012, 11:36 PM
His effort going back with the flight was one where I thought he could have really ended up in hospital.

If he keeps applying himself at the contest like he did tonight, and gains some confidence in his decision making he'll be a very handy player.

Yep, that was really courageous. Too bad we didn't end up winning the ball otherwise it would have been highlighted.

Ghost Dog
22-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Angels:

Picken - The only onballer who maintained consistent output across the game. Irrespective of his ongoing endeavour I was not confident he could add more to his game beyond shut down roles. Games like tonight begin to convince me otherwise.

Love his effort but must...not...drag...the ball in!

LostDoggy
23-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Angels
Dahl and DJ. Like wolves hunting together
Murphy. What a second qtr.
Cordy and Jones. Offering diversity!

Honorable mentions... Cooney, Addo, Sherman, Picken, Will

Sinners
Gia, sorry what's wrong dude?

Anginner
Wallis second vs first half

jeemak
23-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Love his effort but must...not...drag...the ball in!

The one where he got pinged angered me, not because a free was given against, moreso because there were plenty of examples of the same that didn't get penalised throughout the entire afternoon.

Umpires, the crowd and momentum don't make for a good mix sometimes. I can't explain it, I'm not sure there's a science behind it, but the inconsistency in decision making that is evident when these variables work together frustrates me. It's either a free kick all the time, or it's not a free kick at all.

jeemak
23-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Extra Sinners:

Commentary and vision - Couldn't get to the game, though sometimes I thought we were watching the feed from Demons TV. It got to the point of sheer barracking when Melbourne looked to gain some momentum and push us.

The network's thirst for a story in each game really detracts from the viewing IMO. Maybe I'm a cynic, or a rampant pragmatist, though once the ball is bounced the calling and footage should be as objective as possible (I'd also like to see comentators banned from gambling on games they're calling - particularly when we play Freo and Healy and Russell have the mich! :D).

Desipura
23-04-2012, 08:54 AM
It's wet, shocking conditions for big men. How does that make him a sinner?
Clark took a few marks, the weather did not have a great effect on overhead marking.

Mofra
23-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Gia looks to be playing sore and I would agree he needs a spell. Struggled to run or bend.
Yup - I'd rest him this week, no going back to Willy.

Ghost Dog
23-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Clark took a few marks, the weather did not have a great effect on overhead marking.

So what you are saying is if Clark can do it, why can't Cordy. And by comparing them, you are saying they are at the same level of development. Which is not at all correct.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Liam Picken had 36 pressure acts. That's ridiculous!

LostDoggy
23-04-2012, 01:22 PM

What's a pressure act?

LostDoggy
23-04-2012, 02:35 PM
What's a pressure act?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/pressure-the-coaches-buzzword/story-e6frf9jf-1226025761152

This article explains it breifly.

36 Seems like a pretty high number, would be interested to see how it ranks amongst others and how many pressure acts the average player would make.

Dazza
23-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Forgot about Sherman going back with the flight. That was very good. Got straight back up and chased as well.

Angels -

The recruits. Dj, Sherman and Vez all added to a side lacking variety. Leave them in for the rest of the year.

Dahlhaus. Immense. Didn't know he could kick it 50 from a set shot.

Sinners -

Gia playing like an old man.

Our crowd. Felt like I was there by myself at some points during the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2012, 02:39 PM

Not much has been said about Picken, but he's been one our best so far this year. Great to see him back in his usual midfield role.

Ozza
23-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Angels;

The obvious ones are Dahl, Coons and Murphy.
Veszpremi's kick in to Cross, handball to Dahl - kick to Cooney and then Goal was possibly our best piece of play for the season.
Wallis' game was terrific, his hands in close were crucial. He and Picken were tough and dogged all night.
Thought Addison had one of his better games, as did Djerkerra. Roughead did very well in defence.
Special mention to Nathan Jones for kicking it to us all night.

Sinners;

I can handle Cordy being beaten in a contest - but when he doesn't chase after not winning the footy - it looks really bad.

Murphy'sLore
23-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Forgot about Sherman going back with the flight. That was very good. Got straight back up and chased as well.

Angels -

The recruits. Dj, Sherman and Vez all added to a side lacking variety. Leave them in for the rest of the year.

Dahlhaus. Immense. Didn't know he could kick it 50 from a set shot.

Sinners -

Gia playing like an old man.

Sinner:
AFL for scheduling stupid twilight Sunday games which are impossible for us to attend.

1eyedog
23-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Angels;

The obvious ones are Dahl, Coons and Murphy.
Veszpremi's kick in to Cross, handball to Dahl - kick to Cooney and then Goal was possibly our best piece of play for the season.
Wallis' game was terrific, his hands in close were crucial. He and Picken were tough and dogged all night.
Thought Addison had one of his better games, as did Djerkerra. Roughead did very well in defence.
Special mention to Nathan Jones for kicking it to us all night.

Sinners;

I can handle Cordy being beaten in a contest - but when he doesn't chase after not winning the footy - it looks really bad.

Reflects my Angels and Sinners list, although I was disappointed with Gia's afternoon, his two goals were gimmes.

G-Mo77
23-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Sinner:
AFL for scheduling stupid twilight Sunday games which are impossible for us to attend.

I did get there, normally I would miss it but I haven't seen the boys since Round 1. Shocking scheduling but unfortunately they're here to stay.

W W Biscuit
23-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Is there no love for Jones? I thought that he presented well and was lively for most of the game. The missed goal in the final quarter aside, I saw some very encouraging signs in his game - certainly one of his best so far.

G-Mo77
23-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Is there no love for Jones? I thought that he presented well and was lively for most of the game. The missed goal in the final quarter aside, I saw some very encouraging signs in his game - certainly one of his best so far.

There was love from me, mentioned him in the game thread.

Doc26
23-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Sinners -

Sinner:

Shocking scheduling but unfortunately they're here to stay.

Sunday twilight games will sign our deathknell if they continue.

They are quite simply family unfriendly and do not help to sell our Club to our children who are our next generation of financial supporters. It will also negate the growth of new families coming on-board with us who will have little more than a lot of pixels and the likes of Dwayne Russell to promote our cause :eek:

Getting home after ~8:15pm with school the following morning closes the deal for most with young kids.

Anything more than 20k plus crowds to these games should be seen by the Club as a bonus. I just hope we're being heavily compensated now and for the future for yet again getting the short end of the deal.

Maddog37
23-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Especially with one and a half hours travel after the game.

Prince Imperial
23-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Sunday twilight games will sign our deathknell if they continue.

They are quite simply family unfriendly and do not help to sell our Club to our children who are our next generation of financial supporters. It will also negate the growth of new families coming on-board with us who will have little more than a lot of pixels and the likes of Dwayne Russell to promote our cause :eek:

Getting home after ~8:15pm with school the following morning closes the deal for most with young kids.

Anything more than 20k plus crowds to these games should be seen by the Club as a bonus. I just hope we're being heavily compensated now and for the future for yet again getting the short end of the deal.

Thankfully we only have one of these as a home game this year. Against PA - should be a ripper crowd! The Sunday twilight games add greatly to the TV rights deal and they won't be ceasing anytime soon. The NSW/Qld teams and Geelong completely get spared these matches as home games whilst the time difference mean they are not an issue in WA. Just one of the reasons why we and other Melb clubs do well out of "disequal" AFL funding I think as we put up with worse crowds to drive up TV ratings and revenue.

SlimPickens
23-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Angels

Dahl- Love the kid
Cooney- Great to watch him break away from the contest with speed.
Wallis- inside work was very very good and was assured with the ball in hand.
Sherman- Backing back into the contest in the 2nd qtr was fantastic

Sinners
Shaggy- ball use was poor and once again turned the ball over too easily.
Gia-Looked incredibly slow. 2 poor games in a row.

AndrewP6
23-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Sinners
Gia-Looked incredibly slow. 2 poor games in a row.

From memory he only had one 'clanger'???

SlimPickens
23-04-2012, 10:26 PM
From memory he only had one 'clanger'???

Re watched the game this morning would say he had 5 or so. For a bloke with his experience some of the mistakes are mind boggling.

*turnovers not clangers

Sockeye Salmon
24-04-2012, 12:14 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/pressure-the-coaches-buzzword/story-e6frf9jf-1226025761152

This article explains it breifly.

36 Seems like a pretty high number, would be interested to see how it ranks amongst others and how many pressure acts the average player would make.

Dahlhaus had 20
Wallis had 19

Murphy had 3
Wood had 2

Higgins had 10 in a quarter

For Melbourne, Morton had 23, Moloney & Bartram had 22.

Andreas Everitt had 24!

Ghost Dog
24-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Dahlhaus had 20
Wallis had 19

Murphy had 3
Wood had 2

Andreas Everitt had 24!

Yeah they reckon he was best on ground for Swans in the Hun. 2012 - Josh Hill, Everitt, Addison. Rise of the Ekers.....:D

jeemak
24-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Dahlhaus had 20
Wallis had 19

Murphy had 3
Wood had 2

Andreas Everitt had 24!

Travesty!

These players aren't capable of such actions! This is an outrage........:o

FrediKanoute
24-04-2012, 06:39 AM

I think its pretty simple really, Addison is a trier. His skill level is average, his ability to read the play is below average and the only thing going for him is that he is willing to put his body on the line. The problem is though that's not enough. If it was Cross and Boyd would be outstanding players.

1eyedog
24-04-2012, 08:58 AM
I think its pretty simple really, Addison is a trier. His skill level is average, his ability to read the play is below average and the only thing going for him is that he is willing to put his body on the line. The problem is though that's not enough. If it was Cross and Boyd would be outstanding players.

I thought and said exactly the same last week in the main Melbourne vs Bulldogs thread but I was impressed with his game on Sunday and I ate my words on it, although granted the conditions did suit him.

I would like to see him carry that form into the next few weeks and see how he goes from there.

He is like a glorified Tim Callan who keeps his feet and contests in the air, is there still a place in the team for the dour back pocket?

Mantis
24-04-2012, 09:24 AM
He is like a glorified Tim Callan who keeps his feet and contests in the air, is there still a place in the team for the dour back pocket?

Not many, of any of the really good teams have these types, but we aren't one of those so he stays in the team until he is pushed out.

Axe Man
24-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Sinners

He had 26 disposals at 85% efficiency with just 1 clanger.:confused: I thought it was his best game for the year.

Maddog37
24-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah they reckon he was best on ground for Swans in the Hun. 2012 - Josh Hill, Everitt, Addison. Rise of the Ekers.....:D

Everitt had 13 possessions but happened to snag a few. Not sure he has turned the corner just yet.

Imagine Josh Hill, Skinny and J Grant all across the half forward line together. We would need a brass band continually playing to keep them awake.

LostDoggy
24-04-2012, 12:29 PM

I've always thought Ad's biggest problem was simply his agility which affects his turning circle which makes him slow doing anything other than running in a straight line. This lack of agile speed (coupled with an average decision making skillset) makes him look unskilled, but I think if he got the right type of coaching attention that makes the most of his attributes he would make a reasonable player.

The first thing to do is to simply improve his lateral and rotational agility, and a lot of that is just repeat action grooving so that his body gets used to it and builds up the right muscle memory. Secondly, I would improve his basic starting posture -- Ads is an agro, head first type of player, but I think that this bull at the gate approach is actually detrimental to his broader game, because his high upper body mass coupled with his extreme forward lean and head first approach means that he plays with a very high centre of gravity, which is detrimental to his agility and lateral movement -- he rarely keeps his feet in traffic, although he does better in defence. I would like Dylan playing far 'straighter', with an upright upper body, but just more squatting through the hip and quads, so that he's giving himself the best power base for 360 degree movement, not just forward movement, which makes him look like the Queen Mary when trying to change direction (so a bit like a defensive basketball stance when coralling a point guard -- see Gary Payton's defensive stance, for example). Watch Sewell, Bartel or Pendlebury in traffic, their balance and continuous 360-degree potential makes them incredibly effective players despite modest physical characteristics.

That extra balance alone I think would give Ads that extra half a second in traffic which would improve his decision making and execution no end, at least so that he becomes a good B/B+ type, rather than the B- to C grade player he looks sometimes. Of course, if this has been a focus of his development then forget everything I just said (I doubt it though -- he's always been praised and encouraged for his attack on the ball, so that's the side of his game that has developed, to the detriment of pretty much everything else).

Ghost Dog
24-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Everitt had 13 possessions but happened to snag a few. Not sure he has turned the corner just yet.

Imagine Josh Hill, Skinny and J Grant all across the half forward line together. We would need a brass band continually playing to keep them awake.

I laughed so hard :D

FrediKanoute
24-04-2012, 04:29 PM
He had 26 disposals at 85% efficiency with just 1 clanger.:confused: I thought it was his best game for the year.

No taking it away from him it was a good game; just like the prelim against the Saints was a great game. Addison is like a porpoise.......everytime you thing he's drowned he comes up for air, does something great and then returns to mediocrity.

Mantis makes a great point good teams just don't have dour one dimensional backmen in their teams anymore.

Maddog37
24-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Maybe he is your old Hawks type player. A really long apprenticeship in the twos and just keeps improving over time.

Watching him in the VFL it appeared to me that he developed a belief in himself when he was played on ball alot.

Just a theory but possible......

w3design
25-04-2012, 03:20 PM
You know guys there are days when I think we should change the name of this forum from WOOF to
The Altar of the Sacrificial Lamb [or Dog]. Whose bloody side are we on here?
I am not suggesting our players either are nor should be above criticism, but for heavens sake, balance things up a bit hey. Some of the criticism on here is so far out of whack, and so far out of date, it belongs in a singularly unfunny comic book. Some posters seem as if they need to take the time to Actually watch what happens out on the field.
Believe it or not, the coaches Do want to win matches, and if they select these players regularly, chances are week in week out, they are basically doing what management want of them. If not surely they would get replaced pretty quickly.
I think it is about time some of our players were cut a wee bit of slack, especially some of the lesser lights. Not every player can be E.J. or Chris Grant. Every team I have ever seen has and needs it's foot soldiers, those not so skilled perhaps, but fearless hard workers willing to sacrifice their own bodies and game for the sake of team and mates. And I for one would lose all interest if these types were ever forced from the game.
May our battlers thrive and prosper in a sport that prides itself on the diversity it embraces.
Long live the Pickens, Crosses and Addisons of our sport, as the game is all the richer and better for their heart and courage.

Ghost Dog
25-04-2012, 04:09 PM
You know guys there are days when I think we should change the name of this forum from WOOF to
Born of frustration I think. Addison gets calls to be dropped even when he does have a good game!
Djekurra has copped a lot on these boards in the past and yet, seems to do ok.

May our battlers thrive and prosper in a sport that prides itself on the diversity it embraces.
Long live the Pickens, Crosses and Addisons of our sport, as the game is all the richer and better for their heart and courage.

And the Markovics! :D Huzzah Huzzah!

Mofra
25-04-2012, 04:54 PM
I am not suggesting our players either are nor should be above criticism, but for heavens sake, balance things up a bit hey. Some of the criticism on here is so far out of whack, and so far out of date, it belongs in a singularly unfunny comic book. Some posters seem as if they need to take the time to Actually watch what happens out on the field.
Believe it or not, the coaches Do want to win matches, and if they select these players regularly, chances are week in week out, they are basically doing what management want of them. If not surely they would get replaced pretty quickly.
I think it is about time some of our players were cut a wee bit of slack, especially some of the lesser lights. Not every player can be E.J. or Chris Grant. Every team I have ever seen has and needs it's foot soldiers, those not so skilled perhaps, but fearless hard workers willing to sacrifice their own bodies and game for the sake of team and mates. And I for one would lose all interest if these types were ever forced from the game.
Good post - in addition, some of the stuff that gets yelled out at games is appalling. Players getting abused before they are even near their first contest.

EasternWest
25-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Good post - in addition, some of the stuff that gets yelled out at games is appalling. Players getting abused before they are even near their first contest.

When I am king, people who let their dogs yap all day will be first against the wall.

Closely followed by this group of "supporters".

Maddog37
25-04-2012, 06:05 PM
All praise King EasternWest. May his reign be a joyous one. Prey his first act be to shut my neighbours *!*!*!*!*!*!*!*! decriped yapper up once and for all.

bornadog
25-04-2012, 07:49 PM

I think this forum is a pretty balanced one. This thread is for the angels and sinners for the match, but of course we do get some players names coming up as scapegoats.