PDA

View Full Version : Round 5 Match Preview: Dogs vs Giants

mjp
24-04-2012, 02:30 PM
When: Saturday, April 28th @ 1:45pm
Where: Manuka (Bankstown)

Last (and only) Time they met: NAB Cup Round 1 (Lightening Round)

Giants (1.3.3) were defeated by the Dogs (0.5.3) by 5 points. Best for the Giants – Palmer, Power and Hampton (with big Giles going well in the ruck) and for the Dogs were Boyd, Skinner (2 goals), Liberatore and Cross. I was at the game and whilst the Dogs pretty much dominated the possession count, the Giants were very committed to the footy and actually could have pinched the win late.

Last week

Giants put together their most competitive performance yet – going down to the Cows (sorry, Crows) by 8 goals in pretty difficult conditions. The Giants were actually within striking distance of a win during the 3rd quarter, before the experience/class of Adelaide’s – particularly Tippet – took charge of the game. Ward, Scully and Luke Power continued on with their consistent seasons and Hampton continued on his merry way with another 3 goals.

As for the Dogs, a solid win against a motivated opponent...whilst they weren’t great they weren’t terrible and to perform so strongly through the midfield despite the rare poor outing by skipper Boyd was a good sign. Cooney performed well in his best outing for a while, Dalhaus was effective and Cross showed supporters he still has a bit to offer.

Key Matchups

Minson vs Giles – Awesome – two of the top 5 ruckman in the league for ruck knocks that go directly to the opposition! Regardless of that, both are still learning and competitiveness is their key attribute. Both are better overhead marks than they have shown so far this year – and their inability to hold their grabs has really limited their game impact. Neither player will take a step backwards, neither will concede...really looking forward (from a Dogs centric viewpoint) to see if Will continues his combative and determined mindset from the Melbourne game where he really gave the more talented Jamar more than he could handle.

Boyd vs Ward – Can’t wait for this one. Unlike many supporters, I bode no ill towards Ward and quite honestly have been proud of the way he has kept sticking his head over the ball this year in an undermanned midfield. Boyd will be dirty on his game last week vs Magner and looking to really earn some possession. Neither will take a backward step and the winner of the contest will go a long way to deciding which team wins the stoppages.

Bugg vs Giansiracusa – Bugg has been in terrific form as an accountable small defender with good ability to spread from the contest. Gia – well, struggle town. He will need to use all of his smarts this week to get back on track against a quality opposition small but in a game where inside 50 supply is likely to be high.

Picken vs Scully – Thought about nominating Palmer as the go-to ‘taggee’ – but decided that Scully’s inside/outside game was more of a threat than Palmers gut running. Make no mistake though, the Dogs cannot allow the Giants youngsters spaces outside the contest to operate in – as a side they have been killed by outside runners in all 3 losses and even vs Melbourne allowed too much uncontested ball to the likes of Morton and Bail. Picken to take Scully, limit him as a receiver and force the young Giants half-backs/mids to shoulder the run and carry work load.

Hargrave vs Hampton – a 188cm clever, fast moving forward should be the perfect match-up for Shaggy. Actually, probably the perfect match-up for Morris, but he isn’t there so Shaggy it is. Hampton has been in ripping form and if he actually decides to be a little more selfish with his ball use could easily kick a bag of 5 or more. Hargrave has been in solid form (except for the Saints game of course) and is well placed to both account for Hampton AND provide run for his side.

Other comments?

Well, it is a bit hard to say too much – particularly given Sheedy has forecast yet another raft of changes up in the land of the Giants (http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/sheedy-forecasts-changes.html). I guess Coniglio and Cameron come back in – maybe Shiels and Devon Smith are due for a rest? To quote Sockeye, 'It is as if they don’t care about my DreamTeam at ALL!' For the Dogs, Hargrave seems to have avoided the attention of the tribunal and Lake should be straight back in...I personally would like to see Liberatore promoted in place of Wood (though he would be another potential match-up for Hampton) and admittedly was better vs Melbourne last weekend...

What else? I was pleased to see a move away from the incredibly slow ball movement the Dogs displayed against St Kilda in the Melbourne game and would like to see the ‘ENERGY’ used to move the ball during the 2nd quarter especially repeated this week.

Prediction: Dogs by 54 points.

bornadog
24-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks MJP, great summary and great possible matchups.

Somehow I hate these sort of matches because in the past we have not been intense enough and have not taken these games that seriously but managed to win comfortably without a huge score. I really hope we come out and give them a belting which would take their confidence up another notch.

Hotdog60
24-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks MJP, great summary and great possible matchups.

Somehow I hate these sort of matches because in the past we have not been intense enough and have not taken these games that seriously but managed to win comfortably without a huge score. I really hope we come out and give them a belting which would take their confidence up another notch.

I hope this is something that Macca can bring to the club, in the past the Dogs just don't seem to go for the jugular and rack up a big score. Non stop 4 quarter effort on the day.

SlimPickens
24-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks MJP.

I just hope we are as ferocious at the contest as we were against the dee's.

mjp
24-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Funny thing is, I logged onto BigFooty for the first time in decades as part of the preview to read what the Giants fans are saying.

They believe this game is an opportunity for their first win.

LostDoggy
24-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Funny thing is, I logged onto BigFooty for the first time in decades as part of the preview to read what the Giants fans are saying.

Worrying.

I don't we can smash them like some teams have, I just want something convincing. Considering our average score per match this year is only 70, I would take a 6 goal win and run.

Greystache
24-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the preview MJP.

I'd like to think this isn't a danger game. GWS have been good at the contest, but that's an area they shouldn't get an advantage over us. I can see us winning this one comfortably.

Go_Dogs
24-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Great work on the preview mjp. I'm pretty confident we'll win this one comfortably but GWS were quite good for long patches against Adelaide. It's a good opportunity for one of our young forwards to kick a bag, so that's what I'm looking forward to.

1eyedog
24-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Exterminate them.

A real opportunity to find some much needed form.

LostDoggy
24-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Steve Coniglio also thinks they are a "good chance"

Ghost Dog
25-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Boyd will smash Ward inside. Ward will smash Boyd outside.

westdog54
25-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Boyd will smash Ward inside. Minson will smash Ward if he tries to get outside.

Edited for optimism:)

We've got to win this as convincingly as possible. Anything less than an 8 goal win should be considered not satisfactory.

Ghost Dog
25-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Edited for optimism:)

We've got to win this as convincingly as possible. Anything less than an 8 goal win should be considered not satisfactory.

LOL ! Thanks!! Sorry, I really should check myself. :D
When we thump them, and we must, I truly hope there is a moment when the siren blows, that Callan Ward takes a good look at his mates in the tri-colours and feels a bit of regret~!

azabob
25-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Boyd vs Ward – Can’t wait for this one. Unlike many supporters, I bode no ill towards Ward and quite honestly have been proud of the way he has kept sticking his head over the ball this year in an undermanned midfield.
[.

This year has really reinforced the fact that Ward is the type of player who would drag his team over the line is tight finals games a la Lenny Hayes.

1eyedog
25-04-2012, 09:29 PM
LOL ! Thanks!! Sorry, I really should check myself. :D
When we thump them, and we must, I truly hope there is a moment when the siren blows, that Callan Ward takes a good look at his mates in the tri-colours and feels a bit of regret~!

He won't because he will go back to his Penthouse and check his bank account.

With so many guns he is almost guaranteed a flag in 4-5 years time.

He'll be eligible for free trading in what 10 years?

AndrewP6
25-04-2012, 09:36 PM
He won't because he will go back to his Penthouse and check his bank account.

With so many guns he is almost guaranteed a flag in 4-5 years time.

He'll be eligible for free trading in what 10 years?

He'll be 32 then!

1eyedog
25-04-2012, 09:37 PM
He'll be 32 then!

Perfect we can stick him in the forward pocket after Gia retires.

hujsh
26-04-2012, 03:58 AM

Wow Gia would need to have a really long career for that to work.

DragzLS1
26-04-2012, 10:34 AM

LMAO! God no!

1eyedog
26-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Wow Gia would need to have a really long career for that to work.

He sure would.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I see this as a pressure release game for the coaching staff, I think they have tried a few too many things and they have not come off. (clearly) I can see an easy win, but not a big score as I think BMac will try a few things that he couldn't against stronger sides.

I see him playing with the Forward line and trying to get some set plays and confidence into the young boys and get them to start believing in his game play.

I think the Mids will do what they have done and the backs have been the shining light so far this year.

This is the perfect game to get the entire side/members right behind our forward structures and personal.

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Chad Cornes is a late withdrawal after pulling up sore from training.

Him and Mohr have been really solid in the backline and are both out now. This leaves them very inexperienced down back.

I would like to think we should be able to kick a very big score tomorrow.

Eastdog
27-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Good Preview mjp. This match is a certain win for us - the question is how much will we win by. GWS showed some good signs last week against the Crows. They nearly beat us in that NAB Cup match but it wasn't a proper game and at the time of year teams aren't going at 100 percent.