PDA

View Full Version : Ward says GWS big chance to beat Dogs

Hotdog60
26-04-2012, 04:43 PM
http://images.canberratimes.com.au/2012/04/25/3247400/JD-ward-artlead_20120425212255620051-420x0.jpg

Callan Ward says his old club's scratchy form has opened the door for Greater Western Sydney to record its first ever AFL win on Saturday.

Ward is looking forward to his Western Bulldogs reunion at Manuka Oval on Saturday, almost a year after Ward ran onto the Canberra ground for the Doggies against Sydney.

It's a game he's had circled on his calendar since the AFL fixtures came out last year.

Advertisement: Story continues below

He's especially looking forward to pitting himself against a Bulldogs midfield packed with talent.

Players such as Adam Cooney, Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross might not be in the best form at the moment but they certainly have plenty of class and experience.

''This is the one, round five, that I've always been looking forward to. Obviously the Dogs aren't going too great at the moment so it's a good chance for us to play some good footy and hopefully get a win,'' Ward told The Canberra Times yesterday.

''It is [a big chance to win] but I don't think we can really think about that too much. I've been saying all year if we can keep improving on last week's performance [that's all we need to do] and I think so far this year we've done that every week.

''This week's probably the best chance we get to have our first win as a footy club.''

The Giants targeted Ward as one of their high-profile, out-of-contract signings, as they did with Tom Scully and Rhys Palmer.

GWS valued his ability to win the hard-ball and lured him away from Whitten Oval to add a bit of grunt to its young midfield.

There's always plenty of interest when someone faces their former club for the first time but the Giants co-captain wasn't expecting any rough stuff from his former colleagues.

Instead he thought there'd just be a ''bit of a laugh'', especially from good mates Robert Murphy and Daniel Giansiracusa.

Ward hasn't sought out any advice from his experienced teammates about what to expect on Saturday.

Both Chad Cornes and Phil Davis would be able to give him a few tips after their return to Adelaide last weekend.

Davis, also a GWS co-captain, played against his former club, the Adelaide Crows, and copped a bit of stick from the fans.

But most of their ire was reserved for Cornes.

The Port Adelaide premiership player was an object of abuse for Crows fans the 24 times he played in the Adelaide derby.

While most footballers say they don't hear the crowd, Ward said he would hear every word of advice the Bulldogs fans offer on Saturday.

''It's always been a thing that I actually hear, which is strange, but I still don't think I'll cop it too much from the supporters.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/ward-says-gws-big-chance-to-beat-dogs-20120425-1xltp.html#ixzz1t7eEt6P8

bornadog
26-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Dream on Cement head.

BulldogBelle
26-04-2012, 04:49 PM
''It's always been a thing that I actually hear, which is strange, but I still don't think I'll cop it too much from the supporters.''

For the most part someone is lucky the game is in Canberra

LostDoggy
26-04-2012, 05:16 PM
"GWS valued his ability to win the hard-ball and lured him away from Whitten Oval"

Would have been more appropriate to say; "GWS valued his ability to win the hard-ball and purchased him from Whitten Oval"

Eastdog
26-04-2012, 05:25 PM
GWS are dreaming.

Ghost Dog
26-04-2012, 07:11 PM
All that money has gone to his head! Matty Boyd should read this article to the group to set the stage for a drubbing.

Remi Moses
26-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Would have been best advised to shut up.

Maddog37
26-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Our blokes will laugh it off and say "good onya Wardy".

I hope we target him at every opportunity and it actually sinks in that the moment he left the club he became our enemy.

Invited him to b&f, respected his decision and wished him well. He should have said he respects us and thank us for giving him a start instead of basically saying we are crap and easy beats of the league(regardless of if we are).

They really need to give him a life lesson. No words in the media before or after, simply smash him on the park.

AndrewP6
26-04-2012, 08:16 PM
It's times like this I wish The Beard was still with us and not running around with the Aslans.

azabob
26-04-2012, 08:28 PM
It's times like this I wish The Beard was still with us and not running around with the Aslans.

Asians??

I do agree with your sentiment though, he would be the only one who would put Ward in his place. I will be very surprised if any of our players get stuck into Ward.

AndrewP6
26-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Asians??

I do agree with your sentiment though, he would be the only one who would put Ward in his place. I will be very surprised if any of our players get stuck into Ward.

Ah, that doesn't translate well with some fonts. A-S-L-A-N-S, as in this guy, who bears a striking resemblance to their spiffy logo):

http://static.tumblr.com/kbaimlr/2gSljev85/aslan2.jpg

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/02/09/1225828/086473-brisbane-lions.jpg

SonofScray
26-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Get stuffed Ward. You are an ordinary bloke.

We won't, because what he implies is correct, but I wish we'd really come out and belt them in every aspect of the game. Especially physically, send him home on a stretcher.

Surely it must burn someone at our Club? Or are we just that pathetic?

bornadog
26-04-2012, 08:48 PM

We won't, because what he implies is correct, but I wish we'd really come out and belt them in every aspect of the game. Especially physically, send him home on a stretcher. :p

Surely it must burn someone at our Club? Or are we just that pathetic? YES we are

That would be nice:)

AndrewP6
26-04-2012, 08:52 PM
He's just lucky this one's not in Melbourne. No Beard, but I wouldn't put it past Willlbur to clean him up. And if that eventuates, I won't complain.

SonofScray
26-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Another example of our club bending over for all and sundry. In this case we even lubed ourselves up. His 'mates' at the club really let us down.

AndrewP6
26-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Just watching AFL 360, Robbo putting it out there that the Dogs will and should, "go after" Ward. Funny to hear Bazza saying he didn't think they bore him any ill will, and that he'd be surprised if they gave him any extra attention. Robbo fired up, asking has footy become so clinical that players wouldn't fire up in those circumstances. Cam Mooney agreed with him, and FWIW, so do I.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Another example of our club bending over for all and sundry. In this case we even lubed ourselves up. His 'mates' at the club really let us down.

I am not saying we need to go out and send him to hospital but we definitely sound more meek than most. I fully expect us just treat him like any other player during the game and do the hugs and smiles post game.

SonofScray
26-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I am not saying we need to go out and send him to hospital but we definitely sound more meek than most. I fully expect us just treat him like any other player during the game and do the hugs and smiles post game.

It is exactly what will happen, to our shame.

Ghost Dog
26-04-2012, 09:17 PM
So whoever wraps him in a big tackle is going to score massive points on the forum.

AndrewP6
26-04-2012, 09:19 PM
So whoever wraps him in a big tackle is going to score massive points on the forum.

No, it's going to take a bit more than that. Several big tackles, which he takes a while to get up from :)

azabob
26-04-2012, 09:21 PM

We won't, because what he implies is correct, but I wish we'd really come out and belt them in every aspect of the game. Especially physically, send him home on a stretcher.

Surely it must burn someone at our Club? Or are we just that pathetic?

This is the most anger I have felt towards Ward since he left. Not sure if Im angry at him or more so angry at the lack of response our players will give him on field.

It really is just a "job" to these guys. More passion in suburban footy.

Ghost Dog
26-04-2012, 09:48 PM
No, it's going to take a bit more than that. Several big tackles, which he takes a while to get up from :)

it's kind of what I meant. As long as they do it legally, I'm all for it. :D

SlimPickens
26-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Just send Picken to him, that'll ensure he has a shit day :)

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2012, 10:41 PM

This.

And also tell Picken to squeeze as hard as he possibly can at every tackle ;)

azabob
26-04-2012, 10:47 PM

Remember how Brisbane use to smash Marc Murphy for a few years after he decided against joining them? I wish we could do the same.

Mantis
26-04-2012, 10:48 PM
This is the most anger I have felt towards Ward since he left. Not sure if Im angry at him or more so angry at the lack of response our players will give him on field.

It really is just a "job" to these guys. More passion in suburban footy.

And when another employer offers you 4 or 5 times what you get at your place of employment you go... I would think that 99% of players of Callan's age would have taken the deal.

Don't hate the player... Hate the system.

Hotdog60
26-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Can we bring Libba snr out of retirement.:D

I've past caring about Ward, as long as the bloke we put on him takes him to the cleaners and he doesn't get a touch I'll be happy.

azabob
26-04-2012, 10:56 PM
And when another employer offers you 4 or 5 times what you get at your place of employment you go... I would think that 99% of players of Callan's age would have taken the deal.

Totally agree about it being the system. Hence why previously I could understand but the article is rubbing our faces in it.

Certainly is frustrating.

Maddog37
26-04-2012, 10:56 PM
It is healthy to vent your emotions at times. Even if it is misdirected.

Sockeye Salmon
26-04-2012, 11:22 PM
No point trying to smash Cement Head. You'll just end up with a sore fist.

I don't think I have ever seen a player so immune to getting belted.

bornadog
26-04-2012, 11:27 PM

Nah, I hate the player now that he has left us.

SonofScray
26-04-2012, 11:31 PM
And rightfully so BAD.

Remi Moses
27-04-2012, 12:10 AM
I'd like to see Someone from the side give him hell all afternoon.
He's not with us anymore so give the "he's a great bloke" crap away!
Sick of hearing "He's just another player" crap

Remi Moses
27-04-2012, 12:14 AM

Umm so the likes of Thomas, Hurley and others are 99% of players?
Rubbery figures! I want to see as a key player, Ward get niggled to death .

Scraggers
27-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Sam Reid named in the GWS side as well ... Hope they both have a extremely bad day on Saturday.

Greystache
27-04-2012, 01:10 AM
I'd actually be ok with Hargrave having a brain snap and planting one right on Ward's chin. It probably wouldn't achieve much and Hargrave would get weeks but I'd still be ok with it.

jazzadogs
27-04-2012, 01:21 AM
I'd actually be ok with Hargrave having a brain snap and planting one right on Ward's chin. It probably wouldn't achieve much and Hargrave would get weeks but I'd still be ok with it.
Then we'd probably have some of our young guys have a go at Shaggy!

Eastdog
27-04-2012, 01:27 AM
What a shame he left us. Ward was highly fancied to captain our club and was a becoming a great player. What is disappointing is that we developed him and now all the work we did is going to be used by GWS.

azabob
27-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Then we'd probably have some of our young guys have a go at Shaggy!

What do you mean our young guys?

Rob Murphy is the biggest culprit when it comes to giving Ward a free ride in the media, and that frustrates me no end.

chef
27-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Can we hate both?

SonofScray
27-04-2012, 12:12 PM
What do you mean our young guys?

Rob Murphy is the biggest culprit when it comes to giving Ward a free ride in the media, and that frustrates me no end.

Exactly. It is the leadership group that made the calls to send him their best and 'no hard feelings' type stuff. Why? Because they are robots, they've studied the text book on AFL leadership and just spit out all the cliches. The Club approves it because we have to be ultra conservative so as to not get off side with the AFL.

What it has bred is a culture where words > deeds.

I hope that is what Mac can change on field and that Galick and an incoming President can adequately address in the future.

Sedat
27-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Don't hate the player or the system. Hate the footy operations manager who offered Ward an embarrassing, sub-par contract extension offer in mid 2010 (when Ward was out with OP) that prized the door ajar for GWS to swoop 12 months later.

immortalmike
27-04-2012, 02:43 PM

I'm sorry but it's atitudes like that, that make it easy for a young player to make the decision to be a mercenary. As has been stated numerous times on this board, playing football is not like any other job. When you go to work you don't have 30,000 people cheering for you or little kids idolizing you. Football is about passion, emotion, and loyalty, some young players (and supporters) don't get that but many do. Don't give the former an easy way out.

Before this article I hated Ward's decision more than anything, especially in light of the decisions made by Swallow, Martin, Pendlebury, Higgins, etc. Now I'm really starting to dislike the guy as well. The funny thing is Cement brain actually thinks the supporters will be forgiving, I wonder where he got that impression...?

Don't hate the player or the system. Hate the footy operations manager who offered Ward an embarrassing, sub-par contract extension offer in mid 2010 (when Ward was out with OP) that prized the door ajar for GWS to swoop 12 months later.

Would you have also been complaining about that same operations manager offering an extra $100,000 to an injured player who had only showed glimpses at the time? Hindsight bias?

Sedat
27-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Would you have also been complaining about that same operations manager offering an extra $100,000 to an injured player who had only showed glimpses at the time? Hindsight bias?Ward was a 10 year 250+ game player in the making, and came off a terrific 2009 season including excellent performances in the finals. He should have been given a pay rise (and a decent one at that), not a pay cut. He wasn't some washed-up player on the wrong side of 30 - he was still a teenager FFS, and the OP was his first injury of any note. We can all hate him all we like, but he is a gun and will be a gun for many years to come - the fact that he should still be wearing Bulldog colours had we exercised even half a brain is the only thing that really makes my blood boil.

SonofScray
27-04-2012, 05:12 PM
All that aside. Screw Callan Ward, flog of a human being. Give him hell Dogs, please.... actually don't worry about it.

DragzLS1
27-04-2012, 05:30 PM
I dont blame Ward for leaving its alot of money and we simply didnt offer enough imo.

Regardless I still think we should give it to GWS and give it to Ward (lesser extent Reid) to remind them of the club that gave them a chance and believed in them! When we win the flag in 2016 (yes im pretty confident haha) ward willl burn soo muc more deep down knowing what he could have been a part of.

Now lets get out to Manuka oval or wateva its called and smash these guys by 60points!

Ghost Dog
27-04-2012, 05:34 PM
I dont blame Ward for leaving its alot of money and we simply didnt offer enough imo.

Regardless I still think we should give it to GWS and give it to Ward (lesser extent Reid) to remind them of the club that gave them a chance and believed in them! When we win the flag in 2016 (yes im pretty confident haha) ward willl burn soo muc more deep down knowing what he could have been a part of.

Now lets get out to Manuka oval or wateva its called and smash these guys by 60points!

Footy is a tribal thing. All those offering excuses to Ward are thinking about it too much. If I met him in person I'm sure I would be happy to chat to him. But when he steps on that field having deserted the club I love, pour it on. I hope our supporters give him heaps. Footy is the place to express your passion!

chef
27-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Would you have also been complaining about that same operations manager offering an extra $100,000 to an injured player who had only showed glimpses at the time? Hindsight bias?

At the end of 2010 Ward looked like being the second coming of Lenny Hayes. This still hasn't changed(he would be our best player now in he was still with us), Fantasia stuffed up and that is all there is to it IMO.

AndrewP6
27-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Sam Reid named in the GWS side as well ... Hope they both have a extremely bad day on Saturday.

Has Reid ever had an extremely good day? ;)

Remi Moses
27-04-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry but it's atitudes like that, that make it easy for a young player to make the decision to be a mercenary. As has been stated numerous times on this board, playing football is not like any other job. When you go to work you don't have 30,000 people cheering for you or little kids idolizing you. Football is about passion, emotion, and loyalty, some young players (and supporters) don't get that but many do. Don't give the former an easy way out.

Before this article I hated Ward's decision more than anything, especially in light of the decisions made by Swallow, Martin, Pendlebury, Higgins, etc. Now I'm really starting to dislike the guy as well. The funny thing is Cement brain actually thinks the supporters will be forgiving, I wonder where he got that impression...?

Agree entirely with your thoughts.

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Has Reid ever had an extremely good day? ;)

Against Geelong in 09

Sedat
28-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Against Geelong in 09Round 21 - he was sensational that night. The week after he was diagnosed with OP and booked in for groin surgery, followed by two shoulder reconstructions about 6 months later.