PDA

View Full Version : Reserved Seating at Etihad

craigsahibee
26-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I received a phone call today from the WBFC informing me that my reserved seat in Bay/Aisle 27 will not be avaialable to me for the match against Collingwood, as Collingwood have a special deal with the Stadium that allows access to that area for it's members.

For this game I will be relocated to Bay/Aisle 48.

Forgive me for thinking that as it's our HOME game, Bulldog supporters might have been given preference.

Just goes to show how inequal these Stadium deals really are if a visiting team can dictate where there supporters can sit. Reminds me of the old days at Optus Oval when we played Carlton and we were the Home team yet their supporters were still allowed access to the Social Club that, I presume, we were paying rent for on match days.

Maddog37
26-04-2012, 06:35 PM
That sucks big time.

G-Mo77
26-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Lovely. :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
26-04-2012, 06:52 PM
That's just disgusting. Doesn't suprise me though..

craigsahibee
26-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I should have mentioned that my regular seat is on level 2. Pretty sure it only applies to level 2 seats and not level 1.

angelopetraglia
26-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Unbelievable. It's not even their home ground let alone home game. That is a bitter pill to swallow.

cinder
26-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Just reinforces why everyone hates them ...

The Coon Dog
26-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Something not quite right about that. Stinks to high heaven. If it was me, I'd be thinking long & hard about what I do next October.

craigsahibee
26-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Funny thing is TCD I sent an email to the membership dept last October requesting to change seats as the relations I sit with cancelled their reserved seats and today's call was the first communication I have had from them.

Maddog37
26-04-2012, 07:57 PM
We were moved there last year after a muff up at the start of the year involving double booking "coterie" groups. Requested a move to a different aisle this year (33) and glad I did from the sound of it.

You would Think that gold members would be the last ones to be stuffed around but mabe I am naive.

azabob
26-04-2012, 08:23 PM
I can't believe how calm you are. How does our club expect to keep members when crap like this is pulled? As TCD said will make you think what to do come October. Did they apologise or did they just tell you it was a done deal?

Last time I checked it isn't even the pies home ground.

Has this happened in previous years?

Dog54
26-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I think the club has a lot to answer for. We the members own the club. Need to ask who brokered this deal!

SonofScray
26-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Shameful situation. Even if we are financially compensated as a Club this is still a debacle. It is our Home and our Home Game yet us peasants have to make way for our football superiors. Great way to make us all feel like shit and reduce the value of our memberships, the worth of our hard earned.

Shit like this is why the AFL is a joke. Even worse though is the perception that our club just lays down and gets walked over. They are letting other people walk on us! We are the Club.

craigsahibee
26-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I can't believe how calm you are. How does our club expect to keep members when crap like this is pulled? As TCD said will make you think what to do come October. Did they apologise or did they just tell you it was a done deal?

Last time I checked it isn't even the pies home ground.

Has this happened in previous years?

Said it was out of their control. I was out on the job site in the rain at the time so I really didn't want to prolong the conversation by asking any questions. Might send an e-mail to the membership manager and find out a bit more about it

bornadog
26-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I received a phone call today from the WBFC informing me that my reserved seat in Bay/Aisle 27 will not be avaialable to me for the match against Collingwood, as Collingwood have a special deal with the Stadium that allows access to that area for it's members.

Forgive me for thinking that as it's our HOME game, Bulldog supporters might have been given preference.

Just goes to show how inequal these Stadium deals really are if a visiting team can dictate where there supporters can sit. Reminds me of the old days at Optus Oval when we played Carlton and we were the Home team yet their supporters were still allowed access to the Social Club that, I presume, we were paying rent for on match days.

I would refuse to accept it and threaten the club. This is just not good enough. You have an agreement with the Club and the stadium for your seats for all home games at Eithad. when you paid for your season seats.

Another situation where our club just bends over and takes it.

SonofScray
26-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I would refuse to accept it and threaten the club. This is just not good enough. You have an agreement with the Club and the stadium for your seats for all home games at Eithad. when you paid for your season seats.

Another situation where our club just bends over and takes it.

Agree. These deals are a joke. We have copped it v the Blues, Bombers, Pies, Cats and even the Saints at one point.

westdog54
26-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Said it was out of their control. I was out on the job site in the rain at the time so I really didn't want to prolong the conversation by asking any questions. Might send an e-mail to the membership manager and find out a bit more about it

I'd CC the email to Mark Stevens.

azabob
26-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Does Stevens venture into the political side of footy?

azabob
26-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Now I kind of understand why North Melbourne get all up in arms with the whole jumper when they play Collingwood.

azabob
26-04-2012, 09:19 PM

Will be interesting to see what reply you do get. I am still staggered by it.

Greystache
26-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Does Stevens venture into the political side of footy?

I think he would if there's obvious unfair treatment of the club he supports.

Anyone who's on twitter might want to put it out there too. The whole situation is disgraceful.

azabob
26-04-2012, 09:27 PM
I think he would if there's obvious unfair treatment of the club he supports.

Anyone who's on twitter might want to put it out there too. The whole situation is disgraceful.

I have tweeted our Chief Commercial Officer the question.

craigsahibee
26-04-2012, 09:30 PM

I tweeted him this afternoon.

AndrewP6
26-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Just made a rare venture into Twitterland to put this story out there. What utter crap.

SlimPickens
26-04-2012, 09:56 PM
It's utter crap, you can guarantee it's a step the club puts in place to ensure we get a home game against the pies at Etihad every year.

LostDoggy
26-04-2012, 10:44 PM
It would be interesting to hear from the Club how many members are going to be affected by this " agreement " and the justification for the " agreement "

Why can a Club like Collingwood remove another Clubs members from reserved seats for their own members at the other Club's home game ?

If it would great if we had some solid numbers of members who refuse to move in protest

Sockeye Salmon
26-04-2012, 11:19 PM
It's utter crap, you can guarantee it's a step the club puts in place to ensure we get a home game against the pies at Etihad every year.

Why would we want a home game against them at Etihad. We'd be better off with it being played at the G

SlimPickens
26-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Why would we want a home game against them at Etihad. We'd be better off with it being played at the G

Because Etihad is our home ground

bornadog
26-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Because Etihad is our home ground

At the MCG we would make more money and the crowd would be huge.

SlimPickens
26-04-2012, 11:42 PM

That may be the case but I'd imagine we would be contractually bound to play a certain amount of games at Etihad and as such the club would request to play as many of those games as possible against the higher drawing teams like collingwood, Carlton, essendon etc.

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2012, 08:55 AM
That may be the case but I'd imagine we would be contractually bound to play a certain amount of games at Etihad and as such the club would request to play as many of those games as possible against the higher drawing teams like collingwood, Carlton, essendon etc.

And play our low drawing games at the G?

The AFL have committed to (I think) 41 games a season at Etihad and a certain number of them must pull ~45K. Like everything else, we cop it for the AFL's benefit.

There's nothing that can be done, contracts are in place, but if the AFL were interested in anything other than cash they would play all games between Vic sides at the MCG and all games involving a non-Vic side at Etihad.

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 10:08 AM
What a disgrace. I would definitely be frustrated and send a rather angry email to the club if the same situation happened to me.

I sent out a tweet towards Mark Stevens also, hopefully he adresses one of us in some capacity.

SlimPickens
27-04-2012, 10:39 AM
And play our low drawing games at the G?

The AFL have committed to (I think) 41 games a season at Etihad and a certain number of them must pull ~45K. Like everything else, we cop it for the AFL's benefit.

There's nothing that can be done, contracts are in place, but if the AFL were interested in anything other than cash they would play all games between Vic sides at the MCG and all games involving a non-Vic side at Etihad.

This year we don't play any home games at the G, our possible lowest drawing game against gold coast we have shipped off to Darwin.

I get what you're saying but the club have made their bed at the docklands and have to lie in it.

Hotdog60
27-04-2012, 11:35 AM
What really sinks about this is that we are all told that members are the life blood of any club. It doesn't bode well when members are treated in this way and while the Pies members are very happy with their club and will renew their membership, the clubs that are very desperate for members will loose theirs because of being treated as a second class citizens. The Dogs should tell the stadium to F@#k off and tell then to sit the ferals else where, we have paying members with a reserved seat and it's our home ground.

I kinda wonder what sort of deal we would get down the road at the cattery. Then tell Etihad to shove it's stadium up it's you know what.

If only the Whitten oval could hold 40,000 plus and had better access for parking and the like.

bornadog
27-04-2012, 11:37 AM
What really sinks about this is that we are all told that members are the life blood of any club. It doesn't bode well when members are treated in this way and while the Pies members are very happy with their club and will renew their membership, the clubs that are very desperate for members will loose theirs because of being treated as a second class citizens. The Dogs should tell the stadium to F@#k off and tell then to sit the ferals else where, we have paying members with a reserved seat and it's our home ground.

I kinda wonder what sort of deal we would get down the road at the cattery. Then tell Etihad to shove it's stadium up it's you know what.

Op needs to take this higher, and demand an explanation from Garlick.

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 01:34 PM
WTF?? That is just wrong. It is OUR home game FFS. Hope a HUGE stink is kicked up about this. Bulldogs members with reserved seats on level 2 are entitled to their seat for EVERY home game.

I have a reserved seat in Aisle 28, level one. So now we'll have ferals sitting above us? :mad:

Murphy'sLore
27-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Unbelievable! I will be very interested to see what response (if any) you get from the club and how they can justify this situation. Appalling that WBFC members can be booted out of their reserved seats at OUR home game!

Eastdog
27-04-2012, 02:05 PM

The MCG is a fantastic ground and it is a shame that we only play there twice this year. We should play at the MCG more often than we do. The tenants at Etihad including us don't get good deals at all and lots of fans don't like Etihad because of Collo.

SonofScray
27-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Etihad is very handy for our brand in the sense of it being more 'local' than the G, but the deal we have and the association with Collo is a real killer.

Wish we had our own stadium, or the AFL went through with the touted Showgrounds development.

craigsahibee
27-04-2012, 02:17 PM
A staff member from the membership department rang me to discuss my seating arrangements for the rest of the year after I e-mailed them last night regarding the relocation issue and the fact that I have twice contacted the club via e-mail to change my seat and have had no response.

It seems that now I will be sitting at Aisle 31 Row B Seat 59. Anyone else in that area? If you see a lonely ranga in the vicinity from now on that's me. Say hello.

Apparently someone will be in touch with regards to the relocation issue for the Collingwood game. I would really like to know the clubs reasoning behind their decision to allow CFC access to that area.

I did notice last year that a lot of the seats in Aisle 27 are sold off to the public, so maybe there is the least amount of Reserved Seat holders in that particular section and it's easier to relocate them for 1 game. Don't know just a thought.

Eastdog
27-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Etihad is very handy for our brand in the sense of it being more 'local' than the G, but the deal we have and the association with Collo is a real killer.

Wish we had our own stadium, or the AFL went through with the touted Showgrounds development.

Lots of supporters also don't like the location of the ground as well and also the lack of car parking.

craigsahibee
27-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Lots of supporters also don't like the location of the ground as well and also the lack of car parking.

I've given up driving there now. Train from Mooroolbark and a couple of Ale's in the Social Club for me now.

wend1604
27-04-2012, 02:36 PM
This is a joke.

And I wonder why I now prefer to attend Williamstown games. At least you can go where you like at the VFL.

bornadog
27-04-2012, 03:28 PM
It seems that now I will be sitting at Aisle 31 Row B Seat 59. Anyone else in that area? If you see a lonely ranga in the vicinity from now on that's me. Say hello.

I will be right behind you in row c number 60. Say hello.

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2012, 03:39 PM

It took me 93 minutes to get home to Ashburton after the St. Kilda game

Eastdog
27-04-2012, 03:46 PM
It took me 93 minutes to get home to Ashburton after the St. Kilda game

Driving or taking the train. 93 minutes you must have been held up a lot. Were we the only game played in Melbourne that night.

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I've given up driving there now. Train from Mooroolbark and a couple of Ale's in the Social Club for me now.

Same, I get the train from Ringwood. Much easier & if it's on a Saturday or Sunday at $3.30 it's much cheaper than driving in and paying for parking. :)

Still very annoyed that Bulldogs members are being moved from their reserved seats to accommodate the Filth though. :mad:

DragzLS1
27-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Same, I get the train from Ringwood. Much easier & if it's on a Saturday or Sunday at $3.30 it's much cheaper than driving in and paying for parking. :)

Still very annoyed that Bulldogs members are being moved from their reserved seats to accommodate the Filth though. :mad:

This is why we should smash them by 40 points +!!

Although that is most likely not going to happen.. Unless they have random injuries at training this week and have pendlebery, sidebottom, swan, Jolly, Harry Obrien and Cloke out.... :)

craigsahibee
27-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I will be right behind you in row c number 60. Say hello.

Will do.

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Driving or taking the train. 93 minutes you must have been held up a lot. Were we the only game played in Melbourne that night.

Driving.

The tunnel was closed and I only found out as I started up the on-ramp. It took 45 minutes to get off at Power Street. I texted Chops from the Swan St Bridge about 11.30!

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Driving.

The tunnel was closed and I only found out as I started up the on-ramp. It took 45 minutes to get off at Power Street. I texted Chops from the Swan St Bridge about 11.30!
That's what you get for living in the 'worst' side of the city. I rode the push bike home in 30minutes. :)

Desipura
27-04-2012, 10:08 PM
That's what you get for living in the 'worst' side of the city. I rode the push bike home in 30minutes. :)
I think I saw you riding near the Vic Uni in Footscray, had your colors on. Where you riding with a mate?

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I think I saw you riding near the Vic Uni in Footscray, had your colors on. Where you riding with a mate?

Not me. I don't go near Vic uni

Eastdog
27-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Driving.

Just unlucky it was the night the Burnley tunnel was closed otherwise it would have been straight through there on the Monash home and much quicker.

DragzLS1
27-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Just unlucky it was the night the Burnley tunnel was closed otherwise it would have been straight through there on the Monash home and much quicker.

Gotta join the west ;) never a problem getting home from either stadium :)

Eastdog
28-04-2012, 12:07 AM
It shouldnt be too hard to get home from Etihad no matter where you are. It is a central venue. Obviously for people in the inner suburbs it is no problem. I believe even they have extra train services running on the weekends.

bornadog
28-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Driving.

I usually drive to South Yarra station and then take the train. Forget trying to drive to Etihad.

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2012, 01:21 PM
I usually drive to South Yarra station and then take the train. Forget trying to drive to Etihad.

Where do you park?

bornadog
28-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Where do you park?

Claremont st. I always find a parking spot there and no problems with time. Just check the signs to make sure you aren't exceeding the time, but generally no problems after 1pm on Saturday and Sundays.

bornadog
30-04-2012, 05:16 PM

A woman rang SEN today complaining about this, but Harf just said to her to ring the club. She didn't really vent her spleen much and said she was ringing on behalf of someone else.

Happy Days
30-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Where do you park?

Could probably park at Melbourne High and walk up.

LostDoggy
30-04-2012, 05:56 PM
A woman rang SEN today complaining about this, but Harf just said to her to ring the club. She didn't really vent her spleen much and said she was ringing on behalf of someone else.

Kevin Bartlett goes on and on about only 1000 tiger fans were allowed into a Geelong home game.
Which I don't see as a problem since it is Geelongs home game.
Hasn't said anything about this.

Whats the incentive to buy seating and no wonder Collingwood can aim for 150K members.
We are getting screwed but I haven't heard from our president either yet.

W W Biscuit
30-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Has anyone heard whether this is a fully ticketed event? Usually is versus Collingwood. I am going with a couple of (gasp) Pie supporters.

SonofScray
30-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Kevin Bartlett goes on and on about only 1000 tiger fans were allowed into a Geelong home game.
Which I don't see as a problem since it is Geelongs home game.
Hasn't said anything about this.

Whats the incentive to buy seating and no wonder Collingwood can aim for 150K members.
We are getting screwed but I haven't heard from our president either yet.

We'd be getting kick back for sure. Is it worth it though? All it feels like is a kick in the guts. No explanation, no ownership of the decision.

LostDoggy
30-04-2012, 10:57 PM
We'd be getting kick back for sure. Is it worth it though? All it feels like is a kick in the guts. No explanation, no ownership of the decision.

Yes How much is it worth? One club is gaining at the expense of another.

Bad enough clubs have to deal with an unfair draw, now some clubs can sell seats for away games to a stadium that they shouldn't have a contract with.
I understand Essendon had this sort of deal in the early years of Docklands but at least it was there home ground.

azabob
30-04-2012, 11:01 PM

Yes How much is it worth? One club is gaining at the expense of another.

We as members should not find this surprising.

The very same administration sold games interstate for the almighty dollar, why are the members reserved seats any different?

AndrewP6
30-04-2012, 11:07 PM
We as members should not find this surprising.

The very same administration sold games interstate for the almighty dollar, why are the members reserved seats any different?

I think playing a game at another venue (a neutral one) to raise money is different than booting members out of seats at OUR "home" ground, that they've already forked out their hard-earned for.

azabob
30-04-2012, 11:14 PM
I think playing a game at another venue (a neutral one) to raise money is different than booting members out of seats at OUR "home" ground, that they've already forked out their hard-earned for.

Why is it? The club will be getting "compensation" for those seats.

I as a member and reserved seat holder also lose out on the compensation games we get in return for selling home games interstate, as I don't have my normal seat that I have forked out for with my hard earned.

I don't see a difference.

LostDoggy
01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Like I've already said it is appalling that our members are being relocated from their reserved seat at OUR HOME GAME. It would be nice to hear something from the club to explain why this is happening. :mad:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Like I've already said it is appalling that our members are being relocated from their reserved seat at OUR HOME GAME. It would be nice to hear something from the club to explain why this is happening. :mad:

Absolutely. That our President or CEO aren't at the very least making a public statement about this is interesting, to put it politely.
Perhaps it is little things like this that undermine efforts by the club to build the supporter and membership base of the club. Being a pushover for the larger club is hardly a trait that potential supporters want to buy into.

It's a little rich for the club to expect people on the one hand to buy into the whole "this is our place, these are our people' Western Front line, when our people can't get their own seats in our place, because another club's supporters have a deal in place.

I accept the club may not have an avenue to change this for now, but at the very least they should be on the front foot in the media, to the AFL and most importantly to the affected members who are being forced to give up their reserved seats and let them personally know it's a terrible situation and they are very sorry.
I don't think that receiving a call from the club 8 days before the game to let you know of this situation is being proactive either, and should at the least be accompanied by a letter from a very concerned, agitated and apologetic club president explaining why this is allowed to occur.

And our club is scratching it's head wondering why people aren't signing up? Well perhaps the way in which the club engage with 'it's people' is a little less than what is seemingly promised in the membership drive advertisements.

SonofScray
01-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Serious issue that probably will never get the attention it deserves.

Remi Moses
01-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Just like the Ward Compo farce, Shhhh we're getting distribution funds.
Why do I smell the stench of Collins in this.Aisles 30 and 31 have had more empty seats this season than previously. Next we'll hear Collingwood are getting the match receipts!

Remi Moses
01-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Why wouldn't Harford follow it up?
Awful Awful presenter that Bloke

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Absolutely. That our President or CEO aren't at the very least making a public statement about this is interesting, to put it politely.
Perhaps it is little things like this that undermine efforts by the club to build the supporter and membership base of the club. Being a pushover for the larger club is hardly a trait that potential supporters want to buy into.

It's a little rich for the club to expect people on the one hand to buy into the whole "this is our place, these are our people' Western Front line, when our people can't get their own seats in our place, because another club's supporters have a deal in place.

I accept the club may not have an avenue to change this for now, but at the very least they should be on the front foot in the media, to the AFL and most importantly to the affected members who are being forced to give up their reserved seats and let them personally know it's a terrible situation and they are very sorry.
I don't think that receiving a call from the club 8 days before the game to let you know of this situation is being proactive either, and should at the least be accompanied by a letter from a very concerned, agitated and apologetic club president explaining why this is allowed to occur.

And our club is scratching it's head wondering why people aren't signing up? Well perhaps the way in which the club engage with 'it's people' is a little less than what is seemingly promised in the membership drive advertisements.

Exactly. I have just read 'The Dogs Insider' email. They want to get more Bulldogs supporters to Fridays game than Collingwood. I have commented that that's going to be very difficult, especially when Bulldogs members with RESERVED seats are being relocated to make way for Collingwood supporters at 'The Footscray End' of the ground. Also said that they're going to lose members when treating them this way. My post is being reviewd before it's published - I wonder if it'll pass!! I'll email the club directly too.

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Won't be giving up my seats lv 2 aisle 29 row M seats 7, 8, 9, & 10. enter via aisle 29 or from Sponsors room.
Any person sitting there will be given their marching orders.

Ozza
02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Won't be giving up my seats lv 2 aisle 29 row M seats 7, 8, 9, & 10. enter via aisle 29 or from Sponsors room.

Has the club notified you that your seats are some of the ones being relocated?

Bulldog4life
02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Why wouldn't Harford follow it up?
Awful Awful presenter that Bloke

I have stopped listening to his show too. His giggling softly softly approach is hard to bare.

DragzLS1
02-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Exactly. I have just read 'The Dogs Insider' email. They want to get more Bulldogs supporters to Fridays game than Collingwood. I have commented that that's going to be very difficult, especially when Bulldogs members with RESERVED seats are being relocated to make way for Collingwood supporters at 'The Footscray End' of the ground. Also said that they're going to lose members when treating them this way. My post is being reviewd before it's published - I wonder if it'll pass!! I'll email the club directly too.

And so you should! Keep us updated if you get a response because this should not be happening. Even if the reserved seating for this game can not be changed atleast have this made public and see what response we get.

Sedat
02-05-2012, 02:02 PM

And our club is scratching it's head wondering why people aren't signing up? Well perhaps the way in which the club engage with 'it's people' is a little less than what is seemingly promised in the membership drive advertisements.Were are clearly too busy making public utterances about the NAB Rising Star selection criteria and making future claims on young GWS and GC players to worry about our members and their reserved seats for our home games. What do these people expect, to be able to sit in the seat that they have paid money to reserve on our home games :rolleyes:

Fair to say that our priorities as a club are a little difficult to comprehend at the moment.

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
At this stage, which sections have been asked by the club to be relocated?

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I just rang the membership department. It is only Aisle 27. Luckily, I'm in Aisle 29, but I did have a quick chat with the fella on the line and he said they'd received a few complaints but not much argument really from the people they called. He said there was nothing they could do, it's a deal between the stadium and Collingwood. He agreed with me that it's hard to get members to buy seats with these kind of shenanigans going on.

I do wonder what avenue those in Aisle 27 have to formally or legally challenge this? Is there a clause in their membership pack to let them know their seats are forfeited to larger clubs and they'll be relocated? It sounds to me (though I'm not a lawyer) like they are selling something that is then not delivered. The same as you being moved to a different seat at a concert.

bornadog
02-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I just rang the membership department. It is only Aisle 27. Luckily, I'm in Aisle 29, but I did have a quick chat with the fella on the line and he said they'd received a few complaints but not much argument really from the people they called. He said there was nothing they could do, it's a deal between the stadium and Collingwood. He agreed with me that it's hard to get members to buy seats with these kind of shenanigans going on.

I do wonder what avenue those in Aisle 27 have to formally or legally challenge this? Is there a clause in their membership pack to let them know their seats are forfeited to larger clubs and they'll be relocated? It sounds to me (though I'm not a lawyer) like they are selling something that is then not delivered. The same as you being moved to a different seat at a concert.

Once more this is poor management by our club ie not being able to negotiate a proper deal with the Stadium. I also blame Collo for bowing to richer clubs. We are a tenant and customer of the stadium and we are being treated like dirt.

craigsahibee
02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
There is a positive to all of this. I no longer have to sit in the same area as one of our "supporters" who constantly bags Tom Williams.

For what it is worth, other than the phone call from the membership department to permanently move my seat, I have still had no official correspondence from the club.

If, as BaS suggests, it is a deal done between Stadium Management and Collingwood, it just shows the contempt that Ian Collins holds us in to be able to broker the deal and not even consider the ramifications towards our members.

I don't have any ill feeling towards the club, but I'm just sick and tired of us laying down and copping this crap from the so called bigger clubs every year.

It's time we stood up as one, starting this Friday night and reclaim what is ours.

G-Mo77
02-05-2012, 04:13 PM
The club is at much at fault for agreeing to it. Stand firm and stamp your ground not lay down and continue to take it up the you know where. It's pathetic on our behalf as far as I'm concerned.

bornadog
02-05-2012, 06:50 PM
A couple of callers this afternoon to OX on SEN and he says he will follow up with Garlick.

bornadog
02-05-2012, 06:51 PM
There is a positive to all of this. I no longer have to sit in the same area as one of our "supporters" who constantly bags Tom Williams.

No one like that in the new area you will be in:), although the bloke behind me doesn't like Gia but he doesn't yell much at all.

jazzadogs
02-05-2012, 07:46 PM
From Twitter today:

Only Lvl 2 Isle 27 has been affected.The 90 members have been contacted & reissued with tickets.
Members affected this week were alerted to the change of seats for this match as early as January.
This arrangement is the same as past seasons & is the same for any Club that plays the Pies at Etihad Stadium.

Interesting that they say people were alerted in January...also good that there is some sort of 'official' communication coming out.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Has the club notified you that your seats are some of the ones being relocated?

No, & if they did I would refuse to move. Reserved Seat Home game means that is my seat.
Collins needs to go, he screwed us @ Princes Park & he's doing it again

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
I heard that Simon Garlick was on SEN last night just before 7pm. Said the club only became aware of this situation recently. Supposedly discussing compensation. Wonder if the members affected will see any of that? I'm glad SEN followed this up & got some sort of statement from the club. It's still very wrong though.

There are a few people getting stuck into the club on Facebook at about this too.

Oh, and my feedback wasn't published on the Bulldogs website & I haven't had a reply email either.

bornadog
03-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I heard that Simon Garlick was on SEN last night just before 7pm. Said the club only became aware of this situation recently. Supposedly discussing compensation. Wonder if the members affected will see any of that? I'm glad SEN followed this up & got some sort of statement from the club. It's still very wrong though.

There are a few people getting stuck into the club on Facebook at about this too.

Oh, and my feedback wasn't published on the Bulldogs website & I haven't had a reply email either.

The club should have told Eithad to go get stuffed if that is the case. Instead they are ringing members and asking them to move.

Why do we continually just cop it from everyone, so meek and mildly.:mad:

G-Mo77
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
The effected members would want to see something special for the treatment they've received otherwise in 2013 I doubt they would be members.

Sockeye Salmon
03-05-2012, 10:51 AM

This would be as futile as Smorgo whinging about us losing Ward.

You can carry on all you like, it will only end up with security escorting you to the gate.

G-Mo77
03-05-2012, 10:52 AM
This would be as futile as Smorgo whinging about us losing Ward.

You can carry on all you like, it will only end up with security escorting you to the gate.

Which might be the better option :D

Mantis
03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
From Twitter today:

Interesting that they say people were alerted in January...also good that there is some sort of 'official' communication coming out.

Who to believe?

The Pie Man
03-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Who to believe?

Glad I wasn't alone in noticing the discrepancy in accounts there - that's very disappointing. What does Garlick mean by 'recently'

Eastdog
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I can't even believe this is happening at all. It is our home game at Etihad Stadium so our members should get the priority for this game. Isn't there something with Etihad that ends in 2025 when the AFL take it over or something? It would be great if in the future years we move to the MCG and get a deal there. We would gain revenue from that.

G-Mo77
03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Glad I wasn't alone in noticing the discrepancy in accounts there - that's very disappointing. What does Garlick mean by 'recently'

January :)

It seems they can't even get their stories straight. Hopefully the dollars they gained from selling our members out is used to convince them to sign on next year.

OLD SCRAGGer
03-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Although I think this entire matter STINKS..I spoke to someone in membership this morning and he said it effect a total of 60 reserved seats. Luckily I'm not in that 60....

G-Mo77
03-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Although I think this entire matter STINKS..I spoke to someone in membership this morning and he said it effect a total of 60 reserved seats. Luckily I'm not in that 60....

If it effects one it's bad. They can downplay it with it's only 90 (Changed to 60 now :rolleyes: ) all they want. It just shows clearly grabbing a few quick bucks is more important than loyal members.

Cyberdoggie
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
If it effects one it's bad. They can downplay it with it's only 90 (Changed to 60 now :rolleyes: ) all they want. It just shows clearly grabbing a few quick bucks is more important than loyal members.

The club should move quickly to compensate those affected, upgrade them if possible to medallion (doubt it). or another area on level 2. Or perhaps seats at another away game (still wouldn't be a upgrade though).

Eastdog
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
MCG seating arrangements on match day are way better than Etihad Stadium's seating arrangements. As G-Mo77 said they are more concerned with getting money at the expense of paid up members. The tenant clubs including us at Etihad have been done over.

G-Mo77
03-05-2012, 04:59 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/134785/default.aspx

500 seats according to this.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 05:40 PM
From that article:

But the stadium insists the Bulldogs administration was across the arrangements.

"We can confirm that 500 Bulldogs reserved seats have been relocated and it's due to a pre-existing arrangement with Collingwood which has been in place since the stadium opened," Etihad Stadium spokesman Bill Lane told AFL.com.au.

"Last year in order to facilitate a Bulldogs request for more level two seats the bay was allocated to their members.

"The arrangement was always that the Bulldogs would have to relocate the patrons if they were the home team to Collingwood," he said.

"The Bulldogs administration were aware of and agreed to that arrangement"

If this is true why weren't members in the affected seats told this much earlier? And didn't we play Collingwood at home last year? I don't recall this happening then. :confused:

EDIT: Nope, we didn't play them last year at Etihad. My memory isn't what it used to be!! :D

G-Mo77
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
No we played them away last year.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM

OK, the club says 60-90 members, the AFL website says 500 seats affected. Let's do the math for all three:

$495 for a premiership gold membership

$495 x 60 = $29,700
$495 x 90 = $44,550
$495 x 500 = $247,500

This is the revenue lost if those members decide next year to tell the club to stick it up the proverbial. I really do hope it's at the 60 mark.

I don't think it's necessarily about the numbers, it's the bad look of it — Bulldogs fans being pushed aside for Collingwood. I also like the statement on the AFL site (quoting Garlick on SEN):

"I think it's fair to assume it was done to attract Collingwood to play more games at Etihad."

Why do Collingwood need to be attracted to play an away game at a particular venue? This proves the issue of an inequitable draw. They should play where they're told to play, in a fair competition.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Do other clubs members have to move for Collingwood?
I doubt it

If they knew it was the case, why did the new Bulldog sseating requests get allocated those seats in the first place?

As I said previously, no wonder we struggle for members and the Collingwoods can aim higher and higher.

Either way the club should have kicked up a big stink and AFL asked to act.

chef
03-05-2012, 06:40 PM
The club should have told Eithad to go get stuffed if that is the case. Instead they are ringing members and asking them to move.

Why do we continually just cop it from everyone, so meek and mildly.:mad:

Another case of our club just bending over and taking it

SlimPickens
03-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Do other clubs members have to move for Collingwood?
I doubt it

If they knew it was the case, why did the new Bulldog sseating requests get allocated those seats in the first place?

As I said previously, no wonder we struggle for members and the Collingwoods can aim higher and higher.

Either way the club should have kicked up a big stink and AFL asked to act.

We wont kick up a stink because we are heavily involved in the whole process. I don't agree with it but some of the facts are getting missed in this whole process.

This thing happens to members a lot and although it's not ideal the club has their bottom line in mind when doing it. Yes it's very poor on our behalf as well as the stadiums.

You say it doesn't happen to other clubs i can tell you it happens to North way more than us and St kilda cope it occasionally as well.

Currently if you play Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood at Etihad they will have reserved away bays for members. We want to play these clubs at Etihad as it will fill it and get us more money, unfortunately thats the position our club is.

The situation for general bulldog members without a reserved seat, is exactly the same as any other team would face if it's a fully ticketed game at Etihad. It actually occurs at every essendon home game.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 07:07 PM
We wont kick up a stink because we are heavily involved in the whole process. I don't agree with it but some of the facts are getting missed in this whole process.

This thing happens to members a lot and although it's not ideal the club has their bottom line in mind when doing it. Yes it's very poor on our behalf as well as the stadiums.

You say it doesn't happen to other clubs i can tell you it happens to North way more than us and St kilda cope it occasionally as well.

I just had a quick look and found no evidence of North or Saints reserved seat member having to move in a home game.

Currently if you play Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood at Etihad they will have reserved away bays for members. We want to play these clubs at Etihad as it will fill it and get us more money, unfortunately thats the position our club is.

Who has doubled booked then? How is it they can reserve seats to an away game and we can't?

The situation for general bulldog members without a reserved seat, is exactly the same as any other team would face if it's a fully ticketed game at Etihad. It actually occurs at every essendon home game.
Not complaining about that.

Ozza
03-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I just had a quick look and found no evidence of North or Saints reserved seat member having to move in a home game.

When it comes to ticketing discussions and Etihad - my money's on Slimpickens to have the facts on this one i'm afraid Chops.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
When it comes to ticketing discussions and Etihad - my money's on Slimpickens to have the facts on this one i'm afraid Chops.

OK Just I'm just asking for proof on this.

craigsahibee
03-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Checked my e-mails when I arrived home tonight and found this

Dear Craig,

Thank you for being part of the Western Front and welcome to the 2012 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Your 2012 Western Bulldogs membership fulfilment items have been dispatched and we anticipate you will receive your items in the mail within 20 working days.

If you have any questions about your membership or require any further information please don't hesitate to call Membership Services on 1300 GO DOGS (46 36 47) or visit westernbulldogs.com.au/faqs.

Kind Regards,
Western Bulldogs Membership Services

I only requested a new seat. Does this mean I get a new scarf to sit next to the unused scarf I already have?

anfo27
03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
I can't believe the club has sold out on its members, if the club knew as reported then i am disgusted

SonofScray
03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I can't believe the club has sold out on its members, if the club knew as reported then i am disgusted

Exactly, they've sold out our own people.

SlimPickens
03-05-2012, 08:20 PM

North over previous years had reserved memberssit on level 3 (centre wing), on a number of occasions level 3 has been closed to cut down cost. Member were relocated to level 1 behind the goals. Looking at over 1000 members.

Who has doubled booked then? How is it they can reserve seats to an away game and we can't?
Carlton and Essendon will have away reserved seats for bulldogs games and most likely every away game they play at Etihad We simply don't have the pull that bigger clubs do.

Not complaining about that.

Good, it's been embarrassing listening to talk back callers complain about something that has been general practice for a number of years

SonofScray
03-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I am a GA member and despise having those GA areas restricted so that away fans aren't inconvenienced. First 6 rows of L3 are usually et aside for ESS, COLL, GEE, CARL members. Why should dog's members be inconvenienced for the sake of other club's members?

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Good, it's been embarrassing listening to talk back callers complain about something that has been general practice for a number of years

?

Still haven't shown me when other clubs home members with reserved seats have had to move to accommodate away members.

Do you work for Etihad?

We don't have the clout? What stops us from negotiating with the G or Geelong.

SonofScray
03-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Its like we suffer from learned helplessness, or battered club syndrome or something.

Greystache
03-05-2012, 10:04 PM

What would you know Slim, you've only been a manager at the stadium 10 years, some people have read anecdotal facts about it on the Internet!

SlimPickens
03-05-2012, 10:29 PM
We don't have the clout? What stops us from negotiating with the G or Geelong.

Nothing apart from a contract that the club and the AFL have in place with the stadium. I agree with you that Geelong may be a good option in the future, not so much the g. Stadium deals are not as simplistic as is reported. The club doesn't get a good deal at Etihad but let face it we're not alone there.

You're spot on we don't have the clout within the market place to demand more. Until we're not reliant on AFL funding, boast larger membership and have success we're going to have to put measures in place to ensure we are a viable option going forward. It's not great and unfortunately its our reality.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 10:47 PM
What would you know Slim, you've only been a manager at the stadium 10 years, some people have read anecdotal facts about it on the Internet!
You are very good at patronising some while putting down others
Slim still hasn't told which other home clubs has given up reserved seats to other away clubs.

Not hard for someone employed by the stadium to defend the stadium no matter what.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Nothing apart from a contract that the club and the AFL have in place with the stadium. I agree with you that Geelong may be a good option in the future, not so much the g. Stadium deals are not as simplistic as is reported. The club doesn't get a good deal at Etihad but let face it we're not alone there.

You're spot on we don't have the clout within the market place to demand more. Until we're not reliant on AFL funding, boast larger membership and have success we're going to have to put measures in place to ensure we are a viable option going forward. It's not great and unfortunately its our reality.

We are reliant on afl funding because of crap deals like this. Get the afl to negioate a fair deal for everyone then we wont need the afl funding.

w3design
03-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Just read this and I'm gobsmacked. What a terrible message to send to our members. What a symbol of how little our club matters and how feeble our response. I feel so disillusioned to read this.

I also want to comment on how little protection there is for members at etihad. Despie all those 'report antisocial behavior' messages we regularly get opposition fans standing right behind us, abusive, swearing, and seemingly only there t jeer and taunt. Our last match v st Kilda was a complete shocker with drunken saints fans positioned there for no other reason than to insult us. This was one of only two occasions where I asked security to intervene, the other a few years ago when I regret to say it was our own fans non stop bagging our players as 'gay' (well in worse terms than that). The buffoon attendants say they can't act unless they personally hear something and are then seen smiling and joking with the offenders.

Just thinking about this and anticipating the Pies fans behaviour makes me reconsider going tomorrow night. That they can arrogantly take seats we've paid for, what can I say?

AndrewP6
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Just read this and I'm gobsmacked. What a terrible message to send to our members. What a symbol of how little our club matters and how feeble our response. I feel so disillusioned to read this.

I also want to comment on how little protection there is for members at etihad. Despie all those 'report antisocial behavior' messages we regularly get opposition fans standing right behind us, abusive, swearing, and seemingly only there t jeer and taunt. Our last match v st Kilda was a complete shocker with drunken saints fans positioned there for no other reason than to insult us. This was one of only two occasions where I asked security to intervene, the other a few years ago when I regret to say it was our own fans non stop bagging our players as 'gay' (well in worse terms than that). The buffoon attendants say they can't act unless they personally hear something and are then seen smiling and joking with the offenders.

Just thinking about this and anticipating the Pies fans behaviour makes me reconsider going tomorrow night. That they can arrogantly take seats we've paid for, what can I say?

I hate the fact people are getting moved, regardless of 'agreements' etc. But as far as the stadium, I personally have always felt pretty much looked after. I can't fault them in that regard.

Grantysghost
03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Surely If the club knew about this prior to selling this area to members, then they are required to relay this information to purchasers at the time of sale. Or is it in the fine print?
If the club called me and told me to move i would be absolutely livid, and doubt i'd renew after 30 years of membership.
My question is what happens if they cant contact a member and they sit in their seat ??

G-Mo77
04-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Thanks for sharing all the information about ES SlimPickens.

Judging by your responses clearly the club knew about this well in advance and clearly they didn't let the members know until the week before and their official statement still denies this! Could they have possibly handled this any worse? :confused:

SlimPickens
04-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Judging by your responses clearly the club knew about this well in advance and clearly they didn't let the members know until the week before and their official statement still denies this! Could they have possibly handled this any worse? :confused:

Unfortunately yes, the worst I've seen have involved basically the same situation but the club in that case St kilda neglected to tell their members. We had to move approx 200 st kilda fans from there seats to accomodate Carlton away members about 10 mins before the bounce it was an absolute shit fight.

SlimPickens
04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
We are reliant on afl funding because of crap deals like this. Get the afl to negioate a fair deal for everyone then we wont need the afl funding.

Simplistic but in essence true.

G-Mo77
04-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Unfortunately yes, the worst I've seen have involved basically the same situation but the club in that case St kilda neglected to tell their members. We had to move approx 200 st kilda fans from there seats to accomodate Carlton away members about 10 mins before the bounce it was an absolute shit fight.

Yikes! :eek:

Hopefully after the backlash aimed at the club they are proactive and all members effected know about it. After the way we've handled this I'm not that confident that will happen.

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Exactly. The club should have contacted the affected members much earlier. I'm not saying I'm happy with reserved seat holders being moved for the away team, but if it had been handled better & explained up front there would have been a lot less confusion and anger. Very poor communication indeed. :(

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 10:28 AM

That's terrible. So it has happened to other clubs. I think that is what Chops was asking. Thanks for clarifying.

bornadog
04-05-2012, 10:40 AM

You are not getting the point Slim, why is the stadium doing this to their customers. Saints first and now the Dogs. Did Essendon have to move their seat holders, I bet not.

The stadium is unethical and unprofessional and should have told Collingwood "no can do" as these ordinary people, fans, booked their seats in good faith. They have an agreement (purchasing of a reserve seat) with the club and the stadium for 8 to 10 matches per year, yet the stadium turns around and changes the agreement without negotiation with the seat holder. The seat holder is given no choice.

You know what, I don't blame our Club or Collingwood, this is clearly the fault of the Stadium and its management.:mad: Collingwood asked and they received, not good enough Eithad.

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 04:51 PM

This is exactly why the draw should be random, and not fixed the way it is. We end up having to beg and scratch to get good games at Etihad against the top teams. If the draw was random, we'd naturally get these games anyway, and the big teams would just be forced to play there and suck it up.

On this subject, why aren't Bulldogs fans offered the same deal? I'd gladly pay extra for an 18-game reserved seat. This is yet another stream of revenue denied our club because of fundamental inequities in the competition, and we lay down and take it because of the special distribution fund, which we wouldn't need if the inequities weren't there.

I understand your point, that it's not news and has been going on for a while, but you must see that it is part of a more fundamental issue, and merely serves to make the whole cycle worse.

You are not getting the point Slim, why is the stadium doing this to their customers. Saints first and now the Dogs. Did Essendon have to move their seat holders, I bet not.

The stadium is unethical and unprofessional and should have told Collingwood "no can do" as these ordinary people, fans, booked their seats in good faith. They have an agreement (purchasing of a reserve seat) with the club and the stadium for 8 to 10 matches per year, yet the stadium turns around and changes the agreement without negotiation with the seat holder. The seat holder is given no choice.

You know what, I don't blame our Club or Collingwood, this is clearly the fault of the Stadium and its management.:mad: Collingwood asked and they received, not good enough Eithad.

The AFL is to blame. Nobody else.

jazzadogs
04-05-2012, 06:26 PM

From what SlimPickens wrote though, it seems that the Bulldogs asked for extra seats. Collingwood already had a deal with the stadium for level 2 seats, Etihad said 'you can have an extra bay, but you will have to move your members when you play Collingwood'. Bulldogs said 'yeh, ok'.

To me, that is a problem with the Dogs rather than Etihad or Collingwood. They should have said no.

I would expect/hope that there was some fine print in the original details provided to members, but who knows? Ultimately, as disappointing as it is, it is the communication that is disappointing rather than the seat issues themselves. The seats have not been moved too far, IIRC, so I don't see much problem with that.

craigsahibee
04-05-2012, 07:07 PM
The location of the relocated seats is irrelevant to an extent. The point is how can Collingwood and other clubs dictate/request, call it what you will, where their members can sit as the away team. Reeks of elitism and borders on corruption.

Ozza
04-05-2012, 07:39 PM
From what SlimPickens wrote though, it seems that the Bulldogs asked for extra seats. Collingwood already had a deal with the stadium for level 2 seats, Etihad said 'you can have an extra bay, but you will have to move your members when you play Collingwood'. Bulldogs said 'yeh, ok'.

To me, that is a problem with the Dogs rather than Etihad or Collingwood. They should have said no.

To me, this appears to be the scenario. The WBFC should have been communicating to members - when they were buying seats in Aisle 27 - that they could be moved to Aisle 48 for this game. If the 60-90 people affected know this up front, then its probably not as big a deal.

SlimPickens
04-05-2012, 07:46 PM
The club to help appease the situation are offering a pie and drink to the members affected in the studio area at half time.

craigsahibee
04-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Here I the latest.
Tonight I picked up my new membership card with my new permant seat printed on it. Aisle 31 Row B Seat 59. However, the barcodes have not been set up properly yet, so I am in possession of a paper ticket to use tonight. The paper ticket has the correct row and seat number but it lists aisle 30. To top it off, the new membership card has no reference to my premiership gold status, so to access the social club I need to use my obsolete card.
But worst of all, the Pure Blonde in the social club is flat and the bar staff have literally no idea.