PDA

View Full Version : Fight in the Western Bulldogs yet, warns president David Smorgon

G-Mo77
28-04-2012, 12:20 PM
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/04/27/1226341/174736-david-smorgon.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon says his club will soon bite back at poaching from expansion clubs by snaring star juniors from the two new teams.

The Dogs were plundered in the past two years, losing Jarrad Harbrow to Gold Coast and midfield pair Callan Ward and Sam Reid to Greater Western Sydney.

Reid and Ward will take on the Dogs at Manuka Oval today in a game Smorgon says could develop into a yearly contest in the Australian capital.

But while he bears no grudge against Ward - lured with a $900,000 a season deal - it doesn't mean the Dogs won't hit back.

"We will pat him on the back after we beat them," he quipped of Ward's Giants. "There are no hard feelings. We did our very best to keep them but ... they were heading north for different reasons and that's the way it is.

"We look forward to bringing some of the young Suns and Giants they have on their list, we look forward to bringing them to the Bulldogs because we owe both those clubs a player or two."

He said the Dogs were an appealing package, and would soon have salary cap room to go after some bright young stars.

"Everyone has to be in that (aggressive) position. As the older blokes (retire) as they eventually will, it does free up money and spots on the list, and we will be as aggressive as we can.

"We have Jason McCartney heading up our list management group and Jason knows every young kid in Australia ... and together with our recruiter Simon Dalrymple we have the resources to compete and pick the best."

Smorgon was bullish about the Dogs' progress, despite only one win in the first month.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/fight-in-the-western-bulldogs-yet-warns-president-david-smorgon/story-e6frf9jf-1226341177865

Sedat
28-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Talk is cheap. We'll see just how many GWS and Suns players we poach in a couple of years time. I'll take a stab right now and say none.

Mantis
28-04-2012, 12:40 PM
"We have Jason McCartney heading up our list management group and Jason knows every young kid in Australia ... and together with our recruiter Simon Dalrymple we have the resources to compete and pick the best."

McCartney spent all of 5 minutes in his role with the AFL so I'm not sure how correct this is.

angelopetraglia
28-04-2012, 01:02 PM
David Smorgon on SEN now.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Yes. We were FURIOUS at losing Sam!haha

angelopetraglia
28-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Target number #1 Jeremy Cameron

LostDoggy
28-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Don't need him just the bias umpiring he gets.

bulldogsman
28-04-2012, 07:22 PM
McCartney spent all of 5 minutes in his role with the AFL so I'm not sure how correct this is.

I thought he spent 2 years there???

Hotdog60
28-04-2012, 07:37 PM

We would probably recruit Josh Fraser and James McDonald:eek:

Desipura
28-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Toy and Caddy are the Victorians out of contract. Toy was highly rated as a 17yo, similar to a Chad Cornes in looks and the way he plays, was renowned for being a good reader of the play. Has only played 8 games so far. With Murphy on the wrong side of 20, he may be one player we target.

Flamethrower
28-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Turn it up David. The Dogs are a small market team. We draft and develop the likes of Callan Ward and Jarrod Harbrow so the big market/AFL funded clubs can poach them.

bulldogsman
28-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Toy and Caddy are the Victorians out of contract. Toy was highly rated as a 17yo, similar to a Chad Cornes in looks and the way he plays, was renowned for being a good reader of the play. Has only played 8 games so far. With Murphy on the wrong side of 20, he may be one player we target.

Caddy is not a great kick of the ball, do not want.
Toy could have been a very high draft pick and definitely fits our needs. How has he been developing though?

Ghost Dog
28-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Talk is cheap. We'll see just how many GWS and Suns players we poach in a couple of years time. I'll take a stab right now and say none.

Ok. Post marked for future reference.

w3design
28-04-2012, 09:59 PM

In the last role spent a good year watching under 14-18 in youth development has a good idea of elite youth.

w3design
28-04-2012, 10:02 PM
I thought he spent 2 years there???

He did it was a change of job i think to freo then he quit.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Frankly, I think we are rattling a saber that nobody is going to feel very threatened by.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2012, 05:45 PM

I'm a fan of your posts Sedat but this seems like being negative for the sake of it.

Whilst action speaks louder than words, I would hope we are aggressive in future years -- particularly given that their younger players would compliment ours on an age basis. Hopefully it means we don't have another large gap, like we do now with the 23-25 year olds.

If GWS/GC don't perform in 2-3 years, there will be players who will want out. Especially the Victorians.

Will we snare a few, if any? Who knows, but personally I don't mind reading threats like this because quite frankly we do owe them and I'd be disappointed if we didn't get aggressive.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Frankly, I think we are rattling a saber that nobody is going to feel very threatened by.

At this very moment? Sure.

Fast forward 2-3 years and let's say:
- GWS/GC are still ordinary.
- We are steadily improving, similar to the 2008-2009 era.

It wasn't long ago we had quite a few players wanting to come to this club. Off the top of my head: Hudson, Hall, Akermanis, Welsh, Jetta (Essendon), Walker (Carlton) and all were/are quality players.

Then of course we had plenty of fringe players like Callan, Djerrkera, Veszpremi, Bate etc.

You don't have to be a Collingwood to be an attractive club to play for, and we proved this a few years ago.

This is why these next 2 drafts are absolutely critical. Nail them, and we will be back in contention within 3-4 years and once again we'll be a club that players will want to come to.

Ghost Dog
29-04-2012, 06:11 PM
At this very moment? Sure.

Fast forward 2-3 years and let's say:
- GWS/GC are still ordinary.
- We are steadily improving, similar to the 2008-2009 era.

It wasn't long ago we had quite a few players wanting to come to this club. Off the top of my head: Hudson, Hall, Akermanis, Welsh, Jetta (Essendon), Walker (Carlton) and all were/are quality players.

Then of course we had plenty of fringe players like Callan, Djerrkera, Veszpremi, Bate etc.

You don't have to be a Collingwood to be an attractive club to play for, and we proved this a few years ago.

This is why these next 2 drafts are absolutely critical. Nail them, and we will be back in contention within 3-4 years and once again we'll be a club that players will want to come to.

Love your optimism. We are talking here about poaching players. Not just any players but key players. Walker, at the time, had a cloud hanging over him. Hall and Aker had nowhere else to go. Hudson got out of sorts after being suspended for breaking a curfew at the Crows and was in the bad books with Craig, so he wanted out. In short there were other factors at play. So I heard.

That being said, the fact that Ryan has stayed is a credit to the club.

GWS have a lot of talent and I doubt they will be ordinary. I expect them to get better and be banging down the top 8 in the next 2-3 years.

IMO the whole article just makes us seem spiteful and petty. Better to keep your grudges to yourself. From what others say, the fact we lost Ward was our own fault for not signing him up earlier.

Sedat
29-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm a fan of your posts Sedat but this seems like being negative for the sake of it.

Whilst action speaks louder than words, I would hope we are aggressive in future years -- particularly given that their younger players would compliment ours on an age basis. Hopefully it means we don't have another large gap, like we do now with the 23-25 year olds.

If GWS/GC don't perform in 2-3 years, there will be players who will want out. Especially the Victorians.

Will we snare a few, if any? Who knows, but personally I don't mind reading threats like this because quite frankly we do owe them and I'd be disappointed if we didn't get aggressive.
Fair call TBB - I guess I'm a little cynical about any proclamations we make in the public domain after our handling of the Ward fiasco. I absolutely want us to be aggressively targetting GWS and GC players but sometimes it is better to act more covertly and less overtly, and I reckon this is one such situation. By making claims of false bravado in the public domain, if we don't happen to lure any players over then our words become hollow and cheap (much like our threats to the AFL to demand band 1 compensation for losing Ward, when for 12 months we made no public utterances about the prospect of even losing him, let alone placing any pressure on city hall for adequate compensation). And to be perfectly frank, I have no faith whatsoever in James Fantasia being able to deliver on Smorgon's threats.

azabob
29-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Fair call TBB - I guess I'm a little cynical about any proclamations we make in the public domain after our handling of the Ward fiasco. I absolutely want us to be aggressively targetting GWS and GC players but sometimes it is better to act more covertly and less overtly, and I reckon this is one such situation. By making claims of false bravado in the public domain, if we don't happen to lure any players over then our words become hollow and cheap (much like our threats to the AFL to demand band 1 compensation for losing Ward, when for 12 months we made no public utterances about the prospect of even losing him, let alone placing any pressure on city hall for adequate compensation). And to be perfectly frank, I have no faith whatsoever in James Fantasia being able to deliver on Smorgon's threats.

Will this task (trades) now fall into the hands of Jason McCartney and to a lesser degree Simon Dalrymple?

Will contracts remain with Fantasia?

We can only speculate on those answers, but Im thinking that is how the duties should play out.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2012, 12:39 AM

It already sounds cheap IMO. There is a long long road from actually getting any key players to making it count on the field. Barry was never a sure bet and many didn't want him. Aker was the same. I'd rather less bluster in the media and for them to get on to the job. Just looks spiteful.

LostDoggy
30-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Toy has turned into a Spud

Desipura
30-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Toy has turned into a Spud A very much highly rated 17yo 2 years ago who was picked up early and now at 19yo, a spud in your opinion......interesting.

LostDoggy
30-04-2012, 01:58 PM
I dread this sort of statement because its most likely to go wrong either way.
Recruit no one and look silly.
Pay overs in trades and money for a foot soldier and look silly as well.

Mantis
30-04-2012, 02:27 PM
A very much highly rated 17yo 2 years ago who was picked up early and now at 19yo, a spud in your opinion......interesting.

He was physically developed as a 17yo who 'monstered' same age opponents.

He doesn't monster too many AFL players.

Mofra
30-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Players chase success - we were an attractive proposition as one of the leading AFL clubs at the time. Not so much anymore.

chef
30-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Players chase success - we were an attractive proposition as one of the leading AFL clubs at the time. Not so much anymore.

And the $$$$. Our only hope now(ATM anyway) is to offer overs in terms of wages.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-04-2012, 03:37 PM

The bolded is definitely the problem.

No point talking the talk, and then cowering away afterwards, like we did with the Ward situation.

Hopefully a stronger stance is taken in future. Perhaps this is where McCartney (Jason) will be important.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-04-2012, 03:41 PM
It already sounds cheap IMO. There is a long long road from actually getting any key players to making it count on the field. Barry was never a sure bet and many didn't want him. Aker was the same. I'd rather less bluster in the media and for them to get on to the job. Just looks spiteful.

What do you mean never a sure bet?

Hall and Akermanis were A+ players. They were absolutely elite, and there was never any question about their ability to still play top grade football.

Other clubs wanted Akermanis (including Essendon/Sheedy) whilst Hall wanted to come to us after the 2008 season but was still under contract.

This is my point, though.

In 2-3 years if we draft and develop our players well, we should be a much better football side and find ourselves in a position to once again attract players from oppsition clubs.

Desipura
30-04-2012, 04:23 PM
He was physically developed as a 17yo who 'monstered' same age opponents.

He doesn't monster too many AFL players.
I am not suggesting we should get him or that I rate him highly, all I am saying is that he is one of 2 Victorians who may be of interest at the right price. I have only seen limited footage of him.

LostDoggy
30-04-2012, 04:32 PM
A very much highly rated 17yo 2 years ago who was picked up early and now at 19yo, a spud in your opinion......interesting.

We will get him for nothing because Gold Coast will dump him

Doc26
30-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Hit me with a wet rag but can't help but feel that it is a little late for David to hit out now with somewhat idle threats after the horse has already bolted. At least with Eddie he does come out on the front foot threatening fire and brimstone ala Pendlebury and Thomas before any damage has been done to his Club.

Dancin' Douggy
30-04-2012, 09:07 PM
OK. I think I get it now. Don't make much noise and you're a pissweak pushover.

Come out with all guns blazing and you're nothing but hot air and a laughing stock.

Tough gig there Mr. Smorgon.
Are you sure you want to keep doing it?.
By the way, you don't get paid either.

LostDoggy
30-04-2012, 10:27 PM
OK. I think I get it now. Don't make much noise and you're a pissweak pushover.

Come out with all guns blazing and you're nothing but hot air and a laughing stock.

Tough gig there Mr. Smorgon.
Are you sure you want to keep doing it?.
By the way, you don't get paid either.

All guns blazing? They are just blanks atm.
Enough with the talk, What we need is action.
If we had if acted earlier we might of kept Harbrow and/or Ward.

Doesn't get paid, but I doubt he is struggling.

Smorgon been a good president but it's almost 16 years and we still haven't achieved what we really want.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2012, 12:07 AM
What do you mean never a sure bet?

Hall and Akermanis were A+ players. They were absolutely elite, and there was never any question about their ability to still play top grade football.

Other clubs wanted Akermanis (including Essendon/Sheedy) whilst Hall wanted to come to us after the 2008 season but was still under contract.

This is my point, though.

In 2-3 years if we draft and develop our players well, we should be a much better football side and find ourselves in a position to once again attract players from oppsition clubs.

A grade right hook ( Barry ) and A grade mouth ( Aker ) more like it. Such was the concern with Barry that Smorgon invited him over to his Hacienda and personally brought up his temper. And quite a few wondered if he was going to make it through the season. It was a risk so don't say it wasn't. As for Sackermanis, Essendon may have wanted him but quite a few clubs didn't. His reputation preceded him and there are many in the footy world that are not a bit surprised how it all ended. I don't disagree with your last point. Just think, as others mention, better off just to go about it without all the bluster. We may have been attractive in 2010 but that was then. Still, I do admire Smorgo, in the spirit of things, for trying to keep on the front foot.

AndrewP6
01-05-2012, 12:34 AM
A grade right hook ( Barry ) and A grade mouth ( Aker ) more like it. Such was the concern with Barry that Smorgon invited him over to his Hacienda and personally brought up his temper. And quite a few wondered if he was going to make it through the season. It was a risk so don't say it wasn't. As for Sackermanis, Essendon may have wanted him but quite a few clubs didn't. His reputation preceded him and there are many in the footy world that are not a bit surprised how it all ended. I don't disagree with your last point. Just think, as others mention, better off just to go about it without all the bluster. We may have been attractive in 2010 but that was then. Still, I do admire Smorgo, in the spirit of things, for trying to keep on the front foot.

You have to say that (at least for a time) both delivered on what we picked them up for. Risk, sure, but you don't get anywhere without taking risks.

strebla
01-05-2012, 12:39 AM
At the end of the I for one am glad he has thrown down the gauntlet lets just hope we can back it up .

jeemak
01-05-2012, 01:20 AM

Akermanis provided good service to the club, for a time, and the decision to take him on was looking more than reasonable until we gave him one more year at the end of 2009. He proved to be the wanker we all thought he had the potential to be in 2010, of course, though he came out of the ordeal looking a lot worse than the club did.

Hall was a risk as well, and Smorgon did due diligence by taking him aside prior to his recruitment and provided him with some fairly solid guidelines or expectations. Hall fulfilled them extremely well, and while his recruitment proved to be a year or so too late he provided good service and represented the club extremely well. He also provided some entertainment in two years where the overall side declined. If you think our forward line is diabolical now, imagine what it would have been like if Hall wasn't kicking goals for us in 2010 and 2011.

Sure, not many sides were chasing Hall, though I'd hate to think of what the backlash from fans and the media would have been like if we didn't take him on.

The club didn't handle the Ward situation as well as it could have, though I still think that even if we did make noise over potential scenarios to compensate for his loss we would have been pushing the proverbial up hill anyway. The AFL would have treated our arm flapping with contempt, and they were always going to compensate the Demons for losing Scully at a higher level from the beginning.

Smorgon from this point should just keep his mouth shut and let his actions do the talking.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Akermanis provided good service to the club, for a time, and the decision to take him on was looking more than reasonable until we gave him one more year at the end ......
Hall was a risk as well,.......

Sure, not many sides were chasing Hall, though I'd hate to think of what the backlash from fans and the media would have been like if we didn't take him on.

The club didn't handle the Ward situation as well as it co......

Smorgon from this point should just keep his mouth shut and let his actions do the talking.

Yeah I agree. It's like "When we have money, and we will, we are gonna GET you" to a club ( GWS ) that has wads of cash and all the players they could want. Makes us look like a bunch of wet blankets. Speak softly and carry a big stick. Not squeal and carry a twig.

BulldogBelle
01-05-2012, 10:24 AM
We wont be anywhere near contention, so its difficult to say why a GWS or GC player would want to come over to us when there would be stronger clubs in premiership contention vying for their services - no point paying overs either for someone that GWS or GC dont want - given the salary cap concessions you'd assume GWS will receive ala the Swans its difficult to imagine they wont be able to keep most of their players

The next 2 years needs to be about growing our own and making smart draft decisions with our 2 first round selections and not gambling away our early picks on speculative superstars ala the Clayton era

Once we get closer to contention i'm sure we'll have a much better chance of picking up some out of contract players that will suit our needs

Given McCartney's influence and his experience at Geelong, and their focus on growing their own rather than trading or chasing unlisted players, i'm sure we will see a similar approach during his tenure at the WO

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Look how well the war went between Richmond and Collingwood throughout the 80's