PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs Night of Nights- Sat 26 May

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-04-2012, 05:33 PM
In 2010 the WB held it's inaugural Hall of Fame dinner at Crown when Charlie Sutton and Ted Whitten snr became our first Club Legends.
This year will see the induction of our third and possibly fourth Legend at a Crown function expected to attract 1,000 fans.
Who would you think would be our next legend/s?
Could it be one of our past Brownlow medal champions like Hopkins, Ware, Schultz, Dempsey and Templeton or perhaps Club champions like Hawkins and Grant. Along with the legend selection you can expect to see some 7-8 former champions chosen as Hall of Fame inductees. I managed to attend the first Hall of Fame dinner.
This is a great night as we gather to honor our past Champions.

Scraggers
30-04-2012, 01:54 AM
I would hope it was Doug Hawkins ... He was the reason I (and many others of my age bracket) became Bulldog supporters in the first place.

This is the only reason (logical or otherwise) I can give ... But I do hope it's him.

Twodogs
30-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Jack Collins would be my choice. Premiership player, Coleman medalist, B&F winner, 100 game player, long time club official, president and all round legend of the club.

I wonder how far they go back. Do blokes like Charley Lovett and the 19th century figures who formed/helped the club become a power get a look in?

Doc26
26-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Enjoying a great night at the Bulldogs Hall of Fame.

Any other Woofers here at the Palladium ?

So far the new Hall of Fame inductees are:

Joe Ryan
Wally Donald
Herb Henderson
George Bissett
& Roy Russell ( Club Official )

Funny speech by Georgie Bissett about how he'd ride his horse to training at Braybrook.

Eastdog
26-05-2012, 10:20 PM

Joe Ryan
Wally Donald
Herb Henderson
George Bissett

Funny speech by Georgie Bissett about how he'd ride his horse to training at Braybrook.

I'm not there tonight - I'd say they will announce the legend right at the end. What time did it start. Is it a good turnout.

Doc26
26-05-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm not there tonight - I'd say they will announce the legend right at the end. What time did it start. Is it a good turnout.

Started at 7pm. Is nearing the end now.

Latest Hall of Fame inductees are:

Brian Royal & Scott Wynd.
Peter Gordon also inducted.

1 to go, then the Legend.

Eastdog
26-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Started at 7pm. Is nearing the end now.

Latest Hall of Fame inductees are:

Brian Royal & Scott Wynd.
Peter Gordon also inducted.

1 to go, then the Legend.

I tip Hawkins to be the legend.

Doc26
26-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I tip Hawkins to be the legend.

I'm tipping John Schultz for Legend.

Scott West final Hall of Fame inductee.

bornadog
27-05-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm tipping John Schultz for Legend.

You weren't wrong there.

Daughter of the West
27-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Joe Ryan
Wally Donald
Herb Henderson
George Bissett

I was there! Loved Bisset's crack about his opponent "running into his fist" :D Also got photos with Barry Hall and Bob Murphy who were very obliging.

bornadog
27-05-2012, 03:39 PM

Joe Ryan
Wally Donald
Herb Henderson
George Bissett

Don't know much about Joe Ryan, any detail about him?

Eastdog
27-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Maybe Doug Hawkins even is too recent for the Hall Of Fame.

LostDoggy
27-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Don't know much about Joe Ryan, any detail about him?

167 Games - 261 Goals - Best and Fairest 1946 and 1947 and Lead goal kicker 1945
He was the reserves coach 1948-1960
State Selection - 1 game for Victoria

Very popular figure at the club - 1st a player, then a coach and then a recruiting officer.

Was there and had a wonderful night.

always right
27-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Nope...Scott West was inducted.

Eastdog
27-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Nope...Scott West was inducted.

I would say eventually Doug Hawkins will get legend status in our hall of fame.

Doc26
27-05-2012, 06:47 PM

Doug was an inaugural inductee into the Hall of Fame.

Hard to imagine him not being too far off being inducted as a Legend.

It is my understanding that the HOF rules state that a Legend can be inducted so long as it doesn't make the Legends exceed 15% of the Hall Of Fame inductees. I believe this means ~8 more HOF inductees before the next Legend gets inducted. The HOF sits every two years.

Eastdog
27-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Doug was an inaugural inductee into the Hall of Fame.

Hard to imagine him not being too far off being inducted as a Legend.

It is my understanding that the HOF rules state that a Legend can be inducted so long as it doesn't make the Legends exceed 15% of the Hall Of Fame inductees. I believe this means ~8 more HOF inductees before the next Legend gets inducted. The HOF sits every two years.

Thanks for explaining how it works Doc26.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-05-2012, 12:24 AM
I was there. Stirring speeches by David Smorgan, Tony Liberatore, Peter Gordon and new Bulldogs Legend John Schultz made you feel proud to be a WB member.A feature of the night among many highlights was to recognize our first Finals team in 1938, with a pre-recorded interview conducted by HOF selector Ray Walker with Jim Miller. Miller the sole surviving player turns 93 on Wednesday. The 1938 team was star studded and included 5 Hall of Fame inductees in Ware, Olliver, Hickey, Morrison and new inductee on the night Joe Ryan.The late Bob Spargo was Miller's fellow wingman in the team. Bob Spargo snr had 2 sons in Bob jnr and Ricky, who went on to represent the Bulldogs.
This was a night of great celebration for our Club.

LostDoggy
28-05-2012, 09:42 AM
I was there. Stirring speeches by David Smorgan, Tony Liberatore, Peter Gordon and new Bulldogs Legend John Schultz made you feel proud to be a WB member.A feature of the night among many highlights was to recognize our first Finals team in 1938, with a pre-recorded interview conducted by HOF selector Ray Walker with Jim Miller. Miller the sole surviving player turns 93 on Wednesday. The 1938 team was star studded and included 5 Hall of Fame inductees in Ware, Olliver, Hickey, Morrison and new inductee on the night Joe Ryan.The late Bob Spargo was Miller's fellow wingman in the team. Bob Spargo snr had 2 sons in Bob jnr and Ricky, who went on to represent the Bulldogs.
This was a night of great celebration for our Club.

Jim Miller was my first coach at West Footscray Primary School. We should get him down there to teach our big forwards how to kick straight.

His technique for goal-kicking still stands up today.

bornadog
28-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Jim Miller was my first coach at West Footscray Primary School. We should get him down there to teach our big forwards how to kick straight.

His technique for goal-kicking still stands up today.

I went to West Footscray Primary for two years, Prep and year 1, 1961 and 62.

Bulldog4life
28-05-2012, 04:47 PM
John Schultz a fitting legend. Always has been a proud bulldog and a great player too.

LostDoggy
28-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Great choice for gentleman John to be the legend
Champion player
Champion person
A sad day for me as a kid when John retired

bornadog
28-05-2012, 11:55 PM
John Schultz a fitting legend. Always has been a proud bulldog and a great player too.

When I was a kid living not far from the ground in the 60's, I loved Schultz.

LostDoggy
28-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Very special night. Great to be with a room full of Bulldogs people. A great tribute to long serving Bulldog people. Peter Gordon emotional acceptance. Libba snr with a speech from the heart. His return to the club is complete. Got to have a long chat with Scott Wynd. Very proud to be able to have his girls understand what he did with the club. Scott West and his 4 boys, a constant message of the future potential. In a chat Bob Murphy, he instilled confidence in the direction under the new coaching staff and the future. Confident that we will be in a better position than the cats in a couple of years time. George Bissett, what a special personality, have enjoyed his horse stories at past players functions. John Shultz, as said previously a true gentlemen, and recognises how privileged he was to be a member of the team playing with a group of men that he respected. Hope the young lads in the current list reflect on their ability to make a mark on the club and to achieve similar recognition in the future. Well done doggies, a great night.

LostDoggy
29-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Very special night. Great to be with a room full of Bulldogs people. A great tribute to long serving Bulldog people. Peter Gordon emotional acceptance. Libba snr with a speech from the heart. His return to the club is complete. Got to have a long chat with Scott Wynd. Very proud to be able to have his girls understand what he did with the club. Scott West and his 4 boys, a constant message of the future potential. In a chat Bob Murphy, he instilled confidence in the direction under the new coaching staff and the future. Confident that we will be in a better position than the cats in a couple of years time. George Bissett, what a special personality, have enjoyed his horse stories at past players functions. John Shultz, as said previously a true gentlemen, and recognises how privileged he was to be a member of the team playing with a group of men that he respected. Hope the young lads in the current list reflect on their ability to make a mark on the club and to achieve similar recognition in the future. Well done doggies, a great night.

That's what tradition is all about, in any field: showing the new blood the standard to be achieved.