PDA

View Full Version : Kicks for goal after the final siren

The Coon Dog
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I was having a chat with a mate about shots for goal after the final siren that affected the results of games involving the Bulldogs. Here's what we were able to recall, but I'm sure there might be others we have missed:

Alan Stoneham v Fitzroy - VFL Park - Goal - Bulldogs won
Simon Beasley v Brisbane Bears - Gabba - Missed - Brisbane won
Stephen MacPherson v North Melbourne - MCG - Goal - Draw
Brad Johnson v Geelong - Etihad - Missed - Geelong won
Brad Johnson v North Melbourne - Etihad - Missed - North Melbourne won

Bill Brownless (Geelong) - MCG - Goal - Geelong won
Matthew Lloyd (Essendon) - Etihad - Missed - Draw
Nick Reiwoldt (St.Kilda) - Etihad - Missed - Draw
Nathan Bock (Adelaide) - Etihad - Missed - Bulldogs won

LostDoggy
01-05-2012, 12:36 PM
TCD, correct me if my memory faulters.
Simon Beasley vs Syd and all the Syd supporters
Syd won

Mantis
01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
TCD, correct me if my memory faulters.
Simon Beasley vs Syd and all the Syd supporters
Syd won

Not correct.

This was the one TCD stated which was against Bris, but was at Carrara.

It was a farce, fans everywhere and an opposition player on the shoulders of his teammate.

Axe Man
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
There's a couple more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kicks_after_the_siren_in_Australian_rules_football

Guido
01-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Against Freo at the Whitten Oval, mid-90's, can't remember for certain but Ben Allan maybe? Missed, Bulldogs won.

Either Scott West or Simon Atkins, maybe someone else, early 90s Ansett Cup game against Fitzroy in Tassie, was about 55 out on the boundary, didn't make the distance. (think I was in primary school at the time so it's all a bit of a blur, and there is a distinct chance that this was all imagined lol)

Pembleton
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Against Freo at the Whitten Oval, mid-90's, can't remember for certain but Ben Allan maybe? Missed, Bulldogs won.

Yep, it was Ben Allan.

Sedat
01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Against Freo at the Whitten Oval, mid-90's, can't remember for certain but Ben Allan maybe?Remember this like it was yesterday. Peter Quill had possession of the ball on the half back flank on the Doug Hawkins wing side of the ground and motions everyone to head to the boundary wing for a long kick. Then he stupidly proceeded to kick it inboard to Ben Allan on the 50 metre line. Luckily for us, his knees were shot and his kick after the siren fell about 5 metres short.

LostDoggy
01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
I was having a chat with a mate about shots for goal after the final siren that affected the results of games involving the Bulldogs. Here's what we were able to recall, but I'm sure there might be others we have missed:

At the MCG

Desipura
01-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Was Wayde Skippers mark and goal on the siren, to draw us the game against St Kilda at Etihad or am I mistaken?

westdog54
01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
At the MCG

Definitely at Etihad.

Was Wayde Skippers mark and goal on the siren, to draw us the game against St Kilda at Etihad or am I mistaken?

Was very late in the game but Riewoldt had a set shot a few seconds before the siren that levelled the scores. Skipper's goal actually put us in front

Ozza
01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
At the MCG

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2008/010720080323.html

This one was actually at the Docklands. Johnno's 300th game.

Geez, Josh Hill looked good that day.....kind of like how he looks now that he plays for West Coast!

Flamethrower
01-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Not correct.

This was the one TCD stated which was against Bris, but was at Carrara.

It was a farce, fans everywhere and an opposition player on the shoulders of his teammate.

That incident led to a rule change banning players forming Rugby Union like "pyramids" on the mark. A 13yo Michael Voss can be seen running across the mark as Beasley lines up for goal.

bornadog
01-05-2012, 06:00 PM
That incident led to a rule change banning players forming Rugby Union like "pyramids" on the mark. A 13yo Michael Voss can be seen running across the mark as Beasley lines up for goal.

I nearly kicked the TV in that day.

W W Biscuit
01-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Interestingly enough, the game in which Steve MacPherson kicked a goal to draw the game against North Melbourne was the second week in a row that he had the final kick in a game to influence the result. The week before this game, scores were all tied up vs Sydney Swans at the Western Oval. Conditions were very wet and heavy. With seconds to go, SuperMac swooped on the hit out from a boundary throw in on our half forward line, slammed the ball on his boot and it promptly sailed through for a point on the siren. Win to the Bulldogs by one point. Yay!

comrade
01-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Definitely at Etihad.

Yep and it was one of the most enjoyable days of footy I've experienced. Johnno's last quarter was epic!

AndrewP6
01-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Yep and it was one of the most enjoyable days of footy I've experienced. Johnno's last quarter was epic!

That was incredible - the season I returned to going to the footy, after many years of watching from a distance. My seat was at that end of the ground too.

boydogs
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Will Minson v Richmond to draw, when Lake marked & faked an injury?

Scraggers
01-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Will Minson v Richmond to draw, when Lake marked & faked an injury?

I don't think that was after the siren though ... I think there was 90 secs (or so) to go in the game. I remember Nathan Brown celebrating then realizing it was a draw.

ledge
01-05-2012, 09:36 PM
My favourite, not sure if it was after the siren but i remember Peter Landys call
"Beasley sends out the word".
Beaser kicked the goal to beat Collingwood after intercepting a pass from Gubby Allen and Jimmy Edmond telling Gubby what a dill he was.
Beating Collingwood by 100 points doesnt beat defeating them by less than a goal.

Bulldog Revolution
01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Jeff Whites goal that cost us finals, was before the siren right?

Bulldog Revolution
01-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Gubby Allan across goal to Beasley?

bornadog
01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Gubby Allan across goal to Beasley?

Beasley's kick was before the siren.

9k5rTNZWqZA

comrade
01-05-2012, 11:07 PM

I took a girl to that game. Jeff White put me in a shocking mood so I barely spoke for the rest of the night.

Fair to say, she wasn't impressed.

boydogs
01-05-2012, 11:45 PM

Yeah pretty sure.

Drunken Bum
02-05-2012, 01:01 AM

9k5rTNZWqZA

Watching that just reminded me how much i miss the days when every player on the ground wasn't within 5 meters of the ball, yeah the skills and athleticism and professionalism have all improved a lot but the game itself has gone backwards because of it imho

jeemak
02-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Watching that just reminded me how much i miss the days when every player on the ground wasn't within 5 meters of the ball, yeah the skills and athleticism and professionalism have all improved a lot but the game itself has gone backwards because of it imho

The ball definitely moves unhindered from end to end, but clips like those are riddled with stupidity from players and umpires alike just like they are now.

I started watching football consciously and seriously in 1991, and I can honestly say I've been happy to watch the game evolve as it has over those years, away from the point I started from.

I really like that the game keeps moving on, and I like how different types of players are the beez knees one or two years in a row only to become almost obsolete in the three or four years afterwards. I hate the tampering with the rules of course, and I can't help but think the game would be so much better if the AFL just left it alone, to evolve by itself.

boydogs
02-05-2012, 02:19 AM
I can't help but think the game would be so much better if the AFL just left it alone, to evolve by itself.

I can't see how things like deliberate out of bounds could have been removed without a rule change. We're the only sport I can think of where out of bounds results in a neutral contest, and not a turnover. With the tactical side of the game what it is today, every close game would end with 10 consecutive boundary throw ins.

jeemak
02-05-2012, 02:49 AM
I can't see how things like deliberate out of bounds could have been removed without a rule change. We're the only sport I can think of where out of bounds results in a neutral contest, and not a turnover. With the tactical side of the game what it is today, every close game would end with 10 consecutive boundary throw ins.

Though if you look at deliberate OOB these days it's designed to make players kick to their opponents out of the backline, and not benefit from safety in a neutral contest.

Teams forward press, and leave no option for defenders under pressure other than kicking the football to a free opposition player or seek refuge in the boundary line. There's not many things in football that infuriates supporters more than kicking the football to a pressing player unopposed 85m out from goal, but it happens all the time.

Each and everyone of us would have been taught that football is a game of "keep things off" when we were growing up, and part of that was seeking the boundary line as a point refuge.

The boundary line might seem a strange point of refuge compared to other sports, though none of those other sports have decisive forward movement as a result of free posession like the AFL does. Soccer (due to defensive organisation, unless in the scoring third), rugby, et al have to go backwards to go forwards, and aren't comparable to the AFL.

The Coon Dog
02-05-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm sure there are threads for rules & such forth, this is about goals after the final siren. ;)

jeemak
02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Yeah sorry TCD, you're right.

The game versus Brisbane is one of my first clear footy memories from when I was a kid. I would have only been 8 years old at the time, and even then I thought the situation was ridiculous.

Poor old Johnno. Towards the end of his career he was being maligned by just about everyone that didn't go for the Bulldogs (and some that did) and these misses didn't help his cause. I was pretty dirty on his effort against Norf, I thought that was a very gettable shot irrespective of the pressure.

bornadog
02-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I was pretty dirty on his effort against Norf, I thought that was a very gettable shot irrespective of the pressure.

Should have nailed that one.

In the Geelong match he was about to play on and widen the angle but the umpire stopped him because he knew the siren was about to sound. Whether he had time to kick it is doubtful. The actual shot was at a difficult angle. I was at ground level right behind him.

That game was actually a fantastic match as we were behind the whole game and early on it looked like we were going to be thrashed. Geelong were lucky to get away with it.

Ozza
02-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Interestingly enough, the game in which Steve MacPherson kicked a goal to draw the game against North Melbourne was the second week in a row that he had the final kick in a game to influence the result. The week before this game, scores were all tied up vs Sydney Swans at the Western Oval. Conditions were very wet and heavy. With seconds to go, SuperMac swooped on the hit out from a boundary throw in on our half forward line, slammed the ball on his boot and it promptly sailed through for a point on the siren. Win to the Bulldogs by one point. Yay!

The one where he scrambled through a point actually ties up the game at 4.11.35 to 5.5.35 - leaving us with a draw (in 1991).

The game where we beat North Melbourne by 2 points was a year earlier.

Twodogs
02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
My memory is a bit fuzzy but the round 22 1998 game against North that decided top spot. We lost by 2 points and in my mind James Cook had a shot after the siren and tried to play on from outside the boundary line only to be told by the umpire that the ball was dead because the siren had gone. Was that 3/4 time or fulltime?

chef
02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
My memory is a bit fuzzy but the round 22 1998 game against North that decided top spot. We lost by 2 points and in my mind James Cook had a shot after the siren and tried to play on from outside the boundary line only to be told by the umpire that the ball was dead because the siren had gone. Was that 3/4 time or fulltime?

I seem to remember that happening at 1/4 time versus Richmond, I could be wrong.

The 98 North game we lost by 5 points, Cook gave away a pretty stupid 50 meter penalty to give North a goal to level the scores late in the game, before Shannon Grant and Harvey sealed the game for them with goals. Bubba kicked a late goal on the run in the last minute.

This was a cracker of a game and the atmosphere was amazing.

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 08:11 PM
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2008/010720080323.html

This one was actually at the Docklands. Johnno's 300th game.

Geez, Josh Hill looked good that day.....kind of like how he looks now that he plays for West Coast!

I'm sure it won't last

Raw Toast
02-05-2012, 10:17 PM
My favourite, not sure if it was after the siren but i remember Peter Landys call
"Beasley sends out the word".
Beaser kicked the goal to beat Collingwood after intercepting a pass from Gubby Allen and Jimmy Edmond telling Gubby what a dill he was.
Beating Collingwood by 100 points doesnt beat defeating them by less than a goal.

Funnily enough, a week ago I was chatting Bulldogs with the guy at the Greek deli at the Vic Market who follows the one true faith, and an older gentleman entered the conversation and said he grew up supporting us, and that his son played for a few teams including Sunshine and the Pies. Turns out that he was Gubby Allen's dad, so of course we had a laugh about the 84 game... (He no longer goes for us, but I said it was never too late to take out a membership!)

9k5rTNZWqZA

Thanks for the youtube clip, it's fantastic to watch it again. I now work with McKenna, but hardly saw him play, so it's fun to get some vision of him as well.

jeemak
03-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Should have nailed that one.

In the Geelong match he was about to play on and widen the angle but the umpire stopped him because he knew the siren was about to sound. Whether he had time to kick it is doubtful. The actual shot was at a difficult angle. I was at ground level right behind him.

That game was actually a fantastic match as we were behind the whole game and early on it looked like we were going to be thrashed. Geelong were lucky to get away with it.

While it seemed the AFL was intent on getting a GF between St Kilda and Geelong in 2009, it was pretty clear to me that the most entertaining GF would have been between ourselves and the Cats. Football was played at a ridiculously high level in our home and away encounters that year, and Johnno had the chance to have us positioned as the only side to beat the Cats twice in a season for a while. It was a tough shot though, and I still think he might have done better with a drop punt of the instep rather than a banana.

The qualifying final between ourselves and the Cats in 2009 was a disgrace. We were nothing short of pathetic in the first half and IMO we clearly had their measure by that stage of the season. Our chances to make a GF were seriously hampered that day, as St Kilda were always going to be the harder of the preliminary finalists to play, due to their style.

Sometimes I hate being a Bulldogs member.

Twodogs
03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
In 1944 in the last game of the year Harry Hickey kicked a point after the siren against Carlton to leapfrog us over the Blues into fourth spot. We had to win but a draw would have seen Carlton finish fourth. Hickey took a mark 40 metres out and the siren went. With the scores level he took his kick and scored a point.

I found this Wiki page while I was researching Hickey's kick;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kicks_after_the_siren_in_Australian_rules_football

Really interesting stuff.

Sedat
03-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Did anyone mention Ashley Sampi's kick after the siren at Subiaco in 2003 against us? We should never have lost that game, being 13 points up with 2 minutes to play. Some defensive howlers (once by Matty Robbins from memory) gave West Coke the chance to draw level.

bornadog
03-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Did anyone mention Ashley Sampi's kick after the siren at Subiaco in 2003 against us? We should never have lost that game, being 13 points up with 2 minutes to play. Some defensive howlers (once by Matty Robbins from memory) gave West Coke the chance to draw level.

Don't know how we lost that one. Murphy's kick out of defence, just blazed away and West Coke marked it and kicked it to Sampi - game drawn.

QNCiZuLdXEs

Great goal from Johnno at the 5.3minute mark in the video.

Judas kicked 7 and should have been 8.

If you can't be bothered watching the whole game, skip to the 12 min.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Speculating but maybe the Sampi goal cost us Buddy Franklin as we would have missed a conpensation and had only pick 5 that draft.

The Coon Dog
03-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Speculating but maybe the Sampi goal cost us Buddy Franklin as we would have missed a compensation and had only pick 5 that draft.

Different year Chops, had Sampi not kicked that goal, we would have beaten the Eagles & finished above Carlton. Even tough Carlton were banned from rounds 1 & 2 in that draft, they still retained their priority pick which they used on Andrew Walker, after we took Adam Cooney. I'm thankful Matty Robbins stuffed up that night, wasn't at the time I might add.

The following year we played Essendon in round 22 & lost. Had we won we would have got pick 5 as you say, but losing meant we, along with Richmond & Hawthorn got a priority pick each before round 1.

Hawks would have had picks 2, 4 & 6, Richmond 1 & 3 & us with pick 5. As you say, speculation but Richmond would have taken Deledio at 1, Hawthorn Roughead at 2, Richmond who took Tambling at 4, would with pick 3 taken either he, or Ryan Griffen, meaning Hawthorn would have probably still taken Franklin ahead of Tambling/Griffen (bearing in mind they had pick 6 & would have used that in all likliehood on Jordan lewis anyway).

chef
04-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Different year Chops, had Sampi not kicked that goal, we would have beaten the Eagles & finished above Carlton. Even tough Carlton were banned from rounds 1 & 2 in that draft, they still retained their priority pick which they used on Andrew Walker, after we took Adam Cooney. I'm thankful Matty Robbins stuffed up that night, wasn't at the time I might add.

The following year we played Essendon in round 22 & lost. Had we won we would have got pick 5 as you say, but losing meant we, along with Richmond & Hawthorn got a priority pick each before round 1.

Hawks would have had picks 2, 4 & 6, Richmond 1 & 3 & us with pick 5. As you say, speculation but Richmond would have taken Deledio at 1, Hawthorn Roughead at 2, Richmond who took Tambling at 4, would with pick 3 taken either he, or Ryan Griffen, meaning Hawthorn would have probably still taken Franklin ahead of Tambling/Griffen (bearing in mind they had pick 6 & would have used that in all likliehood on Jordan lewis anyway).

It's almost funny that one of them is finally living up to his potential and the other can't now because of injury:(

Twodogs
04-05-2012, 11:30 AM
The following year we played Essendon in round 22 & lost.

IIRC Mitch Hahn missed a very gettable goal toward the end of that game which would have won us the mach. He was virtually in the goasquare and I think he hit the post.

1eyedog
04-05-2012, 12:19 PM

Choker :D

The Coon Dog
04-05-2012, 04:11 PM
IIRC Mitch Hahn missed a very gettable goal toward the end of that game which would have won us the mach. He was virtually in the goasquare and I think he hit the post.

Nah, we lost that one by about 4 goals.

The Coon Dog
04-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Choker :D

Both round 9 games in consecutive years.