PDA

View Full Version : A Message From Brendan McCartney - after Round 5

bornadog
01-05-2012, 11:15 PM
1st May, 2012 (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

Dear Member,
The Round 5 clash against the GWS Giants in Canberra has come and gone but the game has provided some good learning.

Were we happy with our game in the way we combined as a team? In some part we were – but there is lots of room for improvement.

We had a pretty solid review on Monday with the players all based on setting up around the ground — we and the players realise we just have to get better at that.

We felt we were also a little hesitant to move the ball and work to create space for one another early.

Some things that have held back our game style through the first part of the year were there again on Saturday but we managed to work our way through it.

I guess we have to keep things in perspective – we got four points, we didn’t get any more injuries and a couple of experienced players who didn’t play because of minor issues will be available for selection this week.

Another positive to come out of the weekend is our VFL boys performed very well in a high intensity game at Werribee, which is something we don’t often talk about.

They came from 40 points down and were able to win a close game against good opposition off the back of some really strong contested footy, ferocious tackling and some very good team defence.

So the manner in which we want to go about our football is definitely starting to filter down through our experienced players, through our emerging players and certainly through our young players.

We are looking forward to this week against Collingwood as we look forward to playing every game.

We want to be brave when we get the ball and take the game on but at the same time not open up the middle of the ground with silly ball use — we want to be ruthless in our team defence.

See you on Friday night.

Sincerely,

Brendan McCartney

jeemak
02-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Key point, being brave with our ball usage but not so brave with it that we just kick it or hanball it to the opposition in the middle of the ground. I think it's important that he mentions that, because it is an area we're all concerned about.

Like everyone else on this board I want us to move the ball more fluidly to the forward line from defense, because our slow decision making and lower than average skill level has hurt us when doing so to this point of the season. I'm at a loss to see how we can improve it due to our personnel, so if we can do it with system I'd be very surprised, but happy nonetheless.

McCartney to this pont hasn't really put a foot wrong. I've been critical of him playing Grant as a sub, and leaving our forwards outnumbered, though realistically he's limited by the cattle he has at his disposal. I'm yet to come to terms mentally with the fact we're a basic team, deprived of the talent top eight contenders can boast (although I can say it out loud), and that our performances will reflect that.

Remi Moses
02-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Dear Mr McCartney

Just would like the club to recruit footballers who will win Finals
Thanks for your transparency

SlimPickens
02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Like everyone else on this board I want us to move the ball more fluidly to the forward line from defense, because our slow decision making and lower than average skill level has hurt us when doing so to this point of the season. I'm at a loss to see how we can improve it due to our personnel, so if we can do it with system I'd be very surprised, but happy nonetheless.

McCartney to this pont hasn't really put a foot wrong. I'm yet to come to terms mentally with the fact we're a basic team, deprived of the talent top eight contenders can boast (although I can say it out loud), and that our performances will reflect that.

Glad to see you're coming around, we are a developing side. Last game we had 11 players in the side with 50 games or less . We simply have to keep playing these young blokes and get experience into them as individuals and as a team. Some experience coming back will help sure up our defence and provide a more sound structure. I'm happy for BMac to give continual footy to guys like Cordy, Jones, Wallis, Libba etc as they are going to be crucial for our next tilt.

bornadog
02-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Need to fix this before we start winning games against better opposition:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/art-353-svDYSFUNCTION-200x0.jpg

We are getting our hands on the ball but not delivering efficiently into the forward line.

Mantis
02-05-2012, 10:08 AM
We are getting our hands on the ball but not delivering efficiently into the forward line.

Doesn't help when our side is almost full of players who aren't good kicks.

Ozza
02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Doesn't help when our side is almost full of players who aren't good kicks.

Makes it pretty important for Gia to play this week. Even if he can't get the ball as often as we'd like - at least he can be very effective with his inside 50s.

Desipura
02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Makes it pretty important for Gia to play this week. Even if he can't get the ball as often as we'd like - at least he can be very effective with his inside 50s.

Shaw will run off him like he always has done.

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 12:14 PM
You just have to take these messages for what they are and not get too overly analytical. It's good he'd trying to engage with fans but don't read too much into it.
If you had the chance for a sit down with him and an honest conversation now that would be different. So far I still think we are one of the winners in the 'new coach'
stakes.

Ozza
02-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Shaw will run off him like he always has done.

Whats the alternative?

If we are worried about Shaw - we can have a forward tag on him like many other teams do.

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Shaw hasn't always played on Gia. Brad Johnson a few times. Either way if Shaws allowed to smack someone when trying to mark like he has in the past against us, of course he will run off him.

DragzLS1
02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Whats the alternative?

If we are worried about Shaw - we can have a forward tag on him like many other teams do.

Man this is gonna get messy.

Lets hope that they rest shaw and thomas until next week against Brisbane then Geelong :)

Who would you have tag shaw? DJ maybe?? I am more worried about hitting targets inside 50 before worrying about their rebound (which is bound to happen anyway).

Lets see what Bmac has for us am liking what I see from him soo far and soo glad we didnt get Neeld :s

bornadog
02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Man this is gonna get messy.

Lets hope that they rest shaw and thomas until next week against Brisbane then Geelong :)

Who would you have tag shaw? DJ maybe?? I am more worried about hitting targets inside 50 before worrying about their rebound (which is bound to happen anyway).

Lets see what Bmac has for us am liking what I see from him soo far and soo glad we didnt get Neeld :s

How about Wood on Shaw as something different.

jeemak
02-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Glad to see you're coming around, we are a developing side. Last game we had 11 players in the side with 50 games or less . We simply have to keep playing these young blokes and get experience into them as individuals and as a team. Some experience coming back will help sure up our defence and provide a more sound structure. I'm happy for BMac to give continual footy to guys like Cordy, Jones, Wallis, Libba etc as they are going to be crucial for our next tilt.

I acknowledged this to be the case with our forward line through the preseason, though I probably didn't pay enough thought to the backline and midfield.

Greystache
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
How about Wood on Shaw as something different.

It's worth a try, his form in defence this year has been very poor. A different role might help him build some confidence.

I'd like to see Picken play on O'Brien, it would be great to expose that hack and I think Picken would kick 2-3 goals.

BulldogBelle
02-05-2012, 03:05 PM
We'll need Picken for one of Pendles, Swan or Sidebottom. Or occasionally Johnson. I think O'Brien would be far too capable in the air so Picken would be soley there to compete for ground balls.

I think if we can manage to isolate Jones and O'Brien, you'll definitely get your hackage exposure. Sadly it's near impossible with Haxwell free-wheeling in the backline, bashing into Grant every chance he gets (because he's sooo tough!)

Keep Grant on Haxwell I say, or do everything possible to ensure there's no loose men in their backline. I think we've been reasonably good at this so far.

I think we are a minute chance to win this game because we have absolutely no external pressure, and nothing to lose. Let's keep their entire team honest.

Remi Moses
02-05-2012, 03:06 PM

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/art-353-svDYSFUNCTION-200x0.jpg

Emphasizes our weakness. Pretty hard for a forward line with ordinary efficiency coming in

Ozza
02-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Emphasizes our weakness. Pretty hard for a forward line with ordinary efficiency coming in

Its also hard to kick to a target inside 50 when there is nobody there...or its 1 against 4.
A forward structure at some stage would be nice.

ledge
02-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I think Cordy being there has given us something even if its just a tall at least we got someone who stands out in a rush kick up forward.

Greystache
02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
We'll need Picken for one of Pendles, Swan or Sidebottom. Or occasionally Johnson. I think O'Brien would be far too capable in the air so Picken would be soley there to compete for ground balls.

I think if we can manage to isolate Jones and O'Brien, you'll definitely get your hackage exposure. Sadly it's near impossible with Haxwell free-wheeling in the backline, bashing into Grant every chance he gets (because he's sooo tough!)

Keep Grant on Haxwell I say, or do everything possible to ensure there's no loose men in their backline. I think we've been reasonably good at this so far.

I think we are a minute chance to win this game because we have absolutely no external pressure, and nothing to lose. Let's keep their entire team honest.

I think you're seriously overrating O'Brien's ability overhead, one on one he's a liability, hence the reason he's never one out. Picken would be better one on one in every aspect, Buckley will do whatever he can to make sure O'Brien is protected.

As for Jones isolating O'Brien, never happen. Jones will have Brown, Keefe, and Maxwell all on him, no way will Collingwood let Maxwell or O'Brien be exposed by a competent footballer. The only way to get Maxwell to be accountable is to go to his direct opponent, if it's Grant he has to be willing to bust his arse to get into dangerous positions and demand the ball, and we have to be good enough to deliver it to him, not just bomb it blindly.

If we push numbers up the ground around the contest put the entire backline in your Supercoach team, they will rack up the uncontested stats between them.

ledge
02-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Heres someonr we miss in our forward line and Macca would have loved him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP2ut4P6AOw

Remi Moses
02-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Its also hard to kick to a target inside 50 when there is nobody there...or its 1 against 4.

Agree, but it's hard being forward when the delivery is shocking.
They'reboth aspects that have to rectified

Ozza
02-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Agree, but it's hard being forward when the delivery is shocking.
They'reboth aspects that have to rectified

I'm not potting the individuals in the forward line though.

The delivery is very poor - but the way we play - which inevitably leads us to having zero players in our forward half any time the ball in in our defensive area, leads to us having nobody to kick to when we get the ball. I know that every side pushes numbers a long way up the ground when its in their defence - but no club does it worse than us.

And its not just this year.

Hotdog60
02-05-2012, 06:52 PM

What a great package that was.

Mantis
02-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Most. Over-rated. Player. Ever.

Desipura
02-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Shaw hasn't always played on Gia. Brad Johnson a few times. Either way if Shaws allowed to smack someone when trying to mark like he has in the past against us, of course he will run off him.
That response is a total deflection, Shaw has comprehensively beaten Gia the last few times we have played them. You can use any excuse to suit your argument however I will not deviate from my initial comment.

BulldogBelle
02-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I doubt Shaw will even play this week tbh. Seems too quick a turnaround for the hammy injury he suffered. They might opt to give him another week.

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 08:23 PM
That response is a total deflection, Shaw has comprehensively beaten Gia the last few times we have played them. You can use any excuse to suit your argument however I will not deviate from my initial comment.

Excuse me, There is probably as much deflection as your original comment.

Are you saying we lost because Gia played so he shouldn't play now?
Was the delivery poor to him?

We know you're not a fan, but you seem to try to highlight it at any chance.

Go_Dogs
02-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I'd like to see Picken play on O'Brien, it would be great to expose that hack and I think Picken would kick 2-3 goals.

Good idea. O'Brien is another who usually has a few nice runs against us and takes a few marks in the D50 zoning off, so I wouldn't be against Picken going to him. As you say, he can also snag a goal and another who can kick multiples would be great for us right now.

jeemak
02-05-2012, 11:35 PM

The dominance of a player like Shaw against a player like Gia in the most recent rounds would be more endemic of our team's performance than Gia's.

I seriously feel sorry for players like Gia and Higgins who have had to play as the bail out options in our forward line over the last couple of years. They're instructed to play wide, up the ground, or alone in the forward line though they're never the primary target during that time. They're not crumbers, so as soon as the ball is kicked away from them they're out of position to chase and apply pressure, and when they do get the ball kicked to them it's of a terrible standard.

Fix the delivery in to the forward line through quick and accurate movement from defense and through the midfield and players like Gia and Higgins will make players like Shaw accountable, and in some cases unaccountable and silly.

Sedat
03-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Are you saying we lost because Gia played so he shouldn't play now?For whatever reason, all of Shaw, Maxwell and O'Brien have brought their own football to the game agaist us in recent seasons. Is it the fault of our high half-forwards, is our forward line structure all wrong against this mob or is the delivery from midfield contributing to the free player(s) off half back killing us? Probably a combination of all 3, but our structure has been the biggest impediment to success. You absolutely cannot afford to have any of these blokes running free down back, so the simple solution is to ensure they are held directly accountable to an opponent and to play through this opponent where possible. Maxwell and Harry O especially are susceptible one-on-one defenders at the best of times - why not make sure they are accountable to a man and use that player to inflict scoreboard pressure on them? It will stop their run and carry, and it will also stop our fowrard 50 from becoming the trampoline it has been against Collingwood recently.

Desipura
03-05-2012, 09:10 AM

If he is not 100% fit, he is a liability. I was responding to a post that said it is very important that Gia plays this week. I dont agree with that based on his past performances against Collingwood.

He had a very good season last year and warranted a one year contract not 2 years that some here are speculating. I think this year should see him out.

I have nothing personal against Gia, I tell it how I see it regardless of the player. For eg. Murphy is one of my favourites yet I thought he was comprehensively beaten on the weekend, in fact I would have hoped for more input from him on the field thus far.
I dont agree with Murphy playing a negating role on the danger forward as it robs us of his creativity.

BulldogBelle
03-05-2012, 10:01 AM
If he is not 100% fit, he is a liability. I was responding to a post that said it is very important that Gia plays this week. I dont agree with that based on his past performances against Collingwood.

He had a very good season last year and warranted a one year contract not 2 years that some here are speculating. I think this year should see him out.

I have nothing personal against Gia, I tell it how I see it regardless of the player. For eg. Murphy is one of my favourites yet I thought he was comprehensively beaten on the weekend, in fact I would have hoped for more input from him on the field thus far.
I dont agree with Murphy playing a negating role on the danger forward as it robs us of his creativity.

Murphy was an All Australian last year playing in the backline

He's at his best when he's able to create, not when he has to negate

Sure he kept the Tip Rat quiet a few weeks ago - Scott Watters would have been rubbing his hands together when he saw that matchup

Apart from Murphy we only have Veszpremi (to a MUCH smaller extent) providing us with any significant run, creativity and drive from the backline

We have plenty of other guys capable of playing the lockdown role

bornadog
03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Apart from Murphy we only have Veszpremi (to a MUCH smaller extent) providing us with any significant run, creativity and drive from the backline

The jury is still out on Vez. I like his kicking ability, he can kick the thing a mile, but he doesn't like body contact and I am unsure of his pace. Hopefully he will find his feet and become a good HBF.

Desipura
03-05-2012, 10:19 AM
The jury is still out on Vez. I like his kicking ability, he can kick the thing a mile, but he doesn't like body contact and I am unsure of his pace. Hopefully he will find his feet and become a good HBF.
My other concern is his lack of fitness, watch him closely half way into the 3rd qtr tomorrow. There is a fair chance he will be blowing a gale. I saw him a few weeks ago against Melbourne trying not to go where the ball was in the 3rd qtr , he was that tired.

bornadog
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
My other concern is his lack of fitness, watch him closely half way into the 3rd qtr tomorrow. There is a fair chance he will be blowing a gale. I saw him a few weeks ago against Melbourne trying not to go where the ball was in the 3rd qtr , he was that tired.

Yes, I agree. I think he needs to trim down a bit and work harder on his fitness.

Dancin' Douggy
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM

It's also hard when, the few times you DO manage a successful forward entry, the Forward kicks a behind.

Mofra
03-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Taking a longer term view, is it easier to develop a midfield or a forwardline?
I'd hope that a couple of more seasons into a Jones, Cordy & Dahlhaus would go a long way to solving this problem - and I'm liking the way Hill moves too (jury out on Panos, Roberts seems to be playing back).

Higgins looks set to take over from Gia anyway - the inside mid with good footskills but not much pace being played out of position and attracting the ire of fans ;)

Mantis
03-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Higgins looks set to take over from Gia anyway - the inside mid with good footskills but not much pace being played out of position and attracting the ire of fans ;)

When has Higgins ever shown that he is capable of playing the role of an inside mid?

Ghost Dog
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
When has Higgins ever shown that he is capable of playing the role of an inside mid?

Who would you have in FWD pocket. Gia or Higgins?

Maddog37
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
For whatever reason, all of Shaw, Maxwell and O'Brien have brought their own football to the game agaist us in recent seasons. Is it the fault of our high half-forwards, is our forward line structure all wrong against this mob or is the delivery from midfield contributing to the free player(s) off half back killing us? Probably a combination of all 3, but our structure has been the biggest impediment to success. You absolutely cannot afford to have any of these blokes running free down back, so the simple solution is to ensure they are held directly accountable to an opponent and to play through this opponent where possible. Maxwell and Harry O especially are susceptible one-on-one defenders at the best of times - why not make sure they are accountable to a man and use that player to inflict scoreboard pressure on them? It will stop their run and carry, and it will also stop our fowrard 50 from becoming the trampoline it has been against Collingwood recently.

This will be a good indication of the impact a new coach and game style is having. I know it is early days but it would be nice to see this particular aspect addressed against the Pies.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-05-2012, 01:54 PM
This will be a good indication of the impact a new coach and game style is having. I know it is early days but it would be nice to see this particular aspect addressed against the Pies.

It really comes down to the quality of our players on the forward line with only Dalhaus being a standout at the moment. If our backline wasn't so shaky you would love to have the class of Murphy at half forward. Our defensive skills this year to be fair under BMcC hasn't been too bad but it is going to take a top performance to compete with a potential top four side in Collingwood.

chef
03-05-2012, 06:24 PM

In the first half of 2009 was he playing midfield and looking likely to turn into a gun?

At the time GC were after him hard.