PDA

View Full Version : Realistic expectations V Collingwood

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 12:22 PM
What is a pass mark for people here? An honourable loss re: Richmond V West Coast? Will we make them earn it for three quarters then drop off?

IMO we are not that far off causing an upset. Certainly next year if Jones and Grant develop I think we will be in a position to worry the top teams again, not every week.. but we won't be a walkover. I wonder how the club is handling this game internally, expectation wise.

Ozza
02-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I'd like to see us actually take them on - and try and kick some goals.

Would much rather kick 12 goals and lose by 60 points, than kick 6 goals and lose by 45 - which is what will probably happen.

Realistically - we'll get creamed - but a pass mark in my mind would be playing well enough to kick at least 3 goals a quarter.

DragzLS1
02-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see us actually take them on - and try and kick some goals.

Would much rather kick 12 goals and lose by 60 points, than kick 6 goals and lose by 45 - which is what will probably happen.

Realistically - we'll get creamed - but a pass mark in my mind would be playing well enough to kick at least 3 goals a quarter.

I agree I would rather kick 80-90 points against the good team like we did against west coast, even if we end up loosing by 40 points.

This year is a learning curve for alot of our players and aslong as we keep kicking goals and scoring against the good sides I would be happy.

I can see us performing well in the wet against a collingwood but the problem here is that its at etihad stadium :(

I can see us upsetting the likes of essondon, carlton, north and maybe a Geelong but dont think we can do this against the pies this weekend.. They are getting some big names back and hitting some form (pendles, swan, thomas and shaw back).

Would love to see us with in 2 goals through out the 4th quarter and really making them earn there points (a bit like richmond is doing at the moment)

Maddog37
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
expect us to lose by ten goals plus if this was a normal 7 day break situation.

The saving grace is if they bring in too many fresh players at once and there is some sort of let down after ANZAC day for them.

As long as the effort is there and the kids have a dip then all good.

I reckon Daisy might go berserk too for some reason. Lastly I want Harry O to be made to earn every kick.

ledge
02-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Scary thing is, look who is in the coaches box for Collingwood, someone who knows our players inside out just to make it worse.

bornadog
02-05-2012, 01:42 PM
A pass mark would be if we could be competitive and at least be challenging Collingwood.

I expect the team is starting to understand Macca's game plan and gaining some confidence from wins over Melbourne and GWS.

Mantis
02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Wasn't it great over the past 3 or 4 years going to each game thinking we were a realistic chance of winning.

It kinda sucks going in hoping we don't get walloped or we have a honourable loss.

Bulldog Revolution
02-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Wasn't it great over the past 3 or 4 years going to each game thinking we were a realistic chance of winning.

It kinda sucks going in hoping we don't get walloped or we have a honourable loss.

It does.

The difficult realisation for a lot of us is that whilst we climbed the mountain a few times and got close, we just didn't quite get to the top, and now we are rebuilding

ledge
02-05-2012, 02:37 PM

I think of Geelong or West Coast the year before they came good, pin my hopes on the positive.:)
One years pain for 10 years of success, maybe more!

Not Richmond or Melbourne:(

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Sorry to say it, we are going to get creamed. Seriously considering putting some money on 10 goals plus just so I don't slit my wrists on the way out.

As long as the effort and intensity is there from our players, I don't really care if we get thumped. If they try their hardest, put in 110%, and get whipped by 120 points I'll wear that…

Sedat
02-05-2012, 03:56 PM
The 2008-2010 period was easily the most enjoyable experience in my Bulldog supporting life for this very reason (with 1997-2000 and 1992 in isolation close behind). Going to the game and expecting a positive result was a great feeling, and having your season ride the wave all the way to deep in preliminary final week was an exhilirating rush.

The St Kilda game certainly has changed the goalposts for my expectations in 2012 - I'm not expecting anything other than some honest toil against any mid range or better team this season. To that end, I'm expecting us to show a fair bit of graft and pluck on Friday night but to never really be in the game and suffer a 5-8 goal loss accordingly. We lack the polish and the overall skill to be a serious opponent for the better teams this year. I hope that changes in 2013-14 when we collectively get a better handle on the game plan.

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 04:44 PM
My realistic expectation is that we will lose by a fair margin and I will get a lot of my book read. :(

Hotdog60
02-05-2012, 06:43 PM
I think we'll beat Collingwood by 163 points with game over by half time.....

Oops! sorry I don't think that is a realistic expectation.

I'll take a win by 1 point and watch the ferals cry...:D

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I'll be happy if we out score them in the first qtr.

And don't get obliterated in the next 3

AndrewP6
02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
As far as a pass mark...hmm... hard tackling, chasing, competent disposals, sensible decision-making.

That said, I can't see us getting within a bull's roar. If we got closer than 10 goals, I'll be very surprised. Like others, I too loved the heady days of 2008-10, when optimism was in the air.

Eastdog
02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I would like to see the effort from our players there throughout the whole match and not just in parts of the match. In 2009 we would have gone into this match thinking we could easily win but now the realisation is that we probably won't and we are once again in a re-building phase like we were during 2002-2004.

Ghost Dog
03-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Pah. Personally, IMO we give Collingwood too much respect. Was there a similar thread for the Westcoast game? ( a better team IMO ).
I hope we come out all guns blazing tomorrow and as many lads as can manage, win their role on the field.

DragzLS1
03-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Pah. Personally, IMO we give Collingwood too much respect. Was there a similar thread for the Westcoast game? ( a better team IMO ).
I hope we come out all guns blazing tomorrow and as many lads as can manage, win their role on the field.

I like this post. I think that is the right attitude to have coming into this game.

Look at how we were going against westcoast nearly at full strength! If collingwood dont play shaw, thomas and reid then I dont see why our guys cant give them a run for there money! Boyd, Griffen, Cooney, Dahlhaus and Murphy. They are 5 players the other team has to worry about already ;) If everybody comes out fired up then we are still in with a chance.

I may even tip us for an uspet now *!*!*!*! collingwood!

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Spot on, although your post made me kinda bummed. You don't know
what you got till it's gone. 3 PRELIMS IN A ROW! wow. that was exciting.

My girlfriend (not a football person) jumped onboard as a supporter around 05 and enjoyed the ride ...what a ride it was . Now she is finding out what it's really like to be a doggies supporter. She doesn't like it :(

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
The 2008-2010 period was easily the most enjoyable experience in my Bulldog supporting life for this very reason (with 1997-2000 and 1992 in isolation close behind). Going to the game and expecting a positive result was a great feeling, and having your season ride the wave all the way to deep in preliminary final week was an exhilirating rush.

The St Kilda game certainly has changed the goalposts for my expectations in 2012 - I'm not expecting anything other than some honest toil against any mid range or better team this season. To that end, I'm expecting us to show a fair bit of graft and pluck on Friday night but to never really be in the game and suffer a 5-8 goal loss accordingly. We lack the polish and the overall skill to be a serious opponent for the better teams this year. I hope that changes in 2013-14 when we collectively get a better handle on the game plan.
The losses of Harbrow, Eagleton, Johnson, Akermanis, Hall, Hudson and Ward over the past two years and now with Morris and Williams out injured has severely weakened our list. We can only hope for rapid improvement over the next 2-3 years which is going to be a testing time for the Club. I would like to think that we can at least be competitive tomorrow night as our attack on the ball this year has been perhaps the one redeeming feature.

Doc26
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I feel I'm standing on the foreshore looking out with the imminent threat of a large scale tsunami on its way. With that said, this week will be a good test of the intensity first game plan they've been working on under McCartney and how it will hold up under one of the better units going around and for this reason alone I'm looking forward to seeing what we can bring to the table.

Collingwood without Jolly and Ball around the stoppages and without Thomas's run and creativeness helps our case although that half back line of Collingwood looms a frightening proposition if they're let off the hook as I'm expecting yet again.

With a lack of leg speed and ability I'm really not sure who we have that has shown they can realistically lock them down from creating across our forward half.

If our entries into the forward half can dramatically improve and turnovers managed then we might go some way to providing a contest; these would appear big ifs.

Ghost Dog
03-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Spot on, although your post made me kinda bummed. You don't know
what you got till it's gone. 3 PRELIMS IN A ROW! wow. that was exciting.

My girlfriend (not a football person) jumped onboard as a supporter around 05 and enjoyed the ride ...what a ride it was . Now she is finding out what it's really like to be a doggies supporter. She doesn't like it :(

I met a bloke at the Hardware store wearing a Bulldogs top. I had my beanie. We had instant rapport and chatted about the game coming up. When you have 150,000 members, you don't do this. I prefer to think of us as an elite supporter group! :D

Axe Man
03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Collingwood without Jolly and Ball around the stoppages and without Thomas's run and creativeness helps our case although that half back line of Collingwood looms a frightening proposition if they're let off the hook as I'm expecting yet again.

I haven't heard anything about Jolly being out?

Collingwood only defeated Port by 4 goals a couple of weeks ago at Etihad and Port outscored them after quarter time. I would hope we could put in at least a similar effort to Port's against the Pies.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
I hear from Pies fans Jolly is finished. Can't get off the ground with a similar knee problem to Cooney. Maybe it's better if he does play.

DragzLS1
03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I met a bloke at the Hardware store wearing a Bulldogs top. I had my beanie. We had instant rapport and chatted about the game coming up. When you have 150,000 members, you don't do this. I prefer to think of us as an elite supporter group! :D

haha its always good to be a part of an elite supporter group :)

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 05:44 PM

The West Coast game was round one, so we had a summer of “intensity at the contest”, etc. to allow us to believe for a bit that it may not be all bad.

Since then, we've had some absolutely shocking periods of play, chiefly against St. Kilda but also Melbourne and last week, I went to Canberra and watched the GWS match. If we struggle to beat GWS (who aren't as bad as people think but let's face it, have played 5 matches as a club) in the first quarter, failing to kick a goal against the GWS backline for 20 minutes of play, how do you figure we're going to go against Harry O, Maxwell, etc.

We are in real danger of getting thumped, in a very embarrassing fashion. I don't think I've ever been as pessimistic about a game as I am going into this one.

I am not going in hoping we'll lose, and I really do expect us to at least put up some effort and intensity. But we are going to struggle to score. We may not kick more than 5 or 6 goals for the match, and that's not exaggerating. It's one of our key issues. Also, if certain culprits go missing for large parts of the game, as is their record, the chances of a shellacking just rise exponentially.

What worries me the most is if Collingwood get a run on us early, that the players will throw their hands up and run out the game with a lower intensity and lack of conviction, as we did against St Kilda, and have done numerous times in recent years. If we can keep up the effort in the face of anything they throw at us, we can walk out satisfied, even if it's a 20 goal belting.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-05-2012, 05:56 PM
The West Coast game was round one, so we had a summer of “intensity at the contest”, etc. to allow us to believe for a bit that it may not be all bad.

Since then, we've had some absolutely shocking periods of play, chiefly against St. Kilda but also Melbourne and last week, I went to Canberra and watched the GWS match. If we struggle to beat GWS (who aren't as bad as people think but let's face it, have played 5 matches as a club) in the first quarter, failing to kick a goal against the GWS backline for 20 minutes of play, how do you figure we're going to go against Harry O, Maxwell, etc.

We are in real danger of getting thumped, in a very embarrassing fashion. I don't think I've ever been as pessimistic about a game as I am going into this one.

I am not going in hoping we'll lose, and I really do expect us to at least put up some effort and intensity. But we are going to struggle to score. We may not kick more than 5 or 6 goals for the match, and that's not exaggerating. It's one of our key issues. Also, if certain culprits go missing for large parts of the game, as is their record, the chances of a shellacking just rise exponentially.

What worries me the most is if Collingwood get a run on us early, that the players will throw their hands up and run out the game with a lower intensity and lack of conviction, as we did against St Kilda, and have done numerous times in recent years. If we can keep up the effort in the face of anything they throw at us, we can walk out satisfied, even if it's a 20 goal belting.

One of the good things about playing Collingwood is that it will really put the acid test on some of our players who are yet to prove themselves against top opposition. We have become too reliant on the likes of Griffen, Boyd, Murphy, Dalhaus, Cross and Picken so I am looking forward to seeing how many others can lift our overall standard.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 07:48 PM
One of the good things about playing Collingwood is that it will really put the acid test on some of our players who are yet to prove themselves against top opposition. We have become too reliant on the likes of Griffen, Boyd, Murphy, Dalhaus, Cross and Picken so I am looking forward to seeing how many others can lift our overall standard.

Says something about Dalhaus doesn't it if you are already including him in
this group. Great Pickup. Sherman, DJ and Ves have the potential to run the lines consistently as well if they get good gametime this year

1eyedog
04-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Improvement from Wood and Higgins for a start and some form from Gia would be nice too. If we can get 100% from every player then we should be inside of 4 goals.

The Pie Man
04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Would really like to see us not blown away in the 1st quarter - to be within a goal would be a start. We were so very poor in the 1st quarter last week, though I suspect we've had an eye on this clash for well over a week (if our social media 'Mission Possible' campaign is anything to go by, which started last week before we played the Giants....:confused:) so I do hope to see some fire early.

always right
04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm searching for a light at the end of the tunnel. At the moment I can't even see the bloody tunnel.

What worries me most is not tonight's result....I am expecting a 12+ goal defeat. I'm worried about the vitriol on this board after the game. Stand by for a range of usual suspects combined with some new whipping boys to have their careers written off by Woof posters.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I actually think we will be competitive. I predict a 5-7 goal loss, but I don't think it'll be a blow out of 80-100 points like a few are suggesting.

DOG GOD
04-05-2012, 05:51 PM
I'll be happy if we can kick one goal in the first quarter. As long as Harry o, maxwell and shaw are made to earn their kicks I'll be pleased...don't expect to get within 10 goals tonight though.

Bulldog Joe
04-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I am certainly going with the hope of being more than just competitive.
Minson can give us 1st use as he has a good record against Collingwood, but we need to make use of that and maintain possession.

The run from Sherman, Dahlhaus, Djerrkura as well as Cooney and Griffen needs to be on display.

I have put some hard earned on the Dogs as I feel the line of 39.5 is more than achievable.

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Pass mark, to see half a dozen collingwood players get stretchered off.

1eyedog
04-05-2012, 06:15 PM

Good way to look at it. If I see a Bulldog sticker on the back of a car I drive up next to them and give them a thumbs up.

All, this is exactly the type of game we traditionaly win. Then we'll lose to GC, but tonight will be worth it. Everyone is against us so I'm optimistic.

boydogs
04-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Why is everyone so negative?

Collingwood have half their VFL side playing, if we're going to get them it's tonight.

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 11:38 PM
The team exceeded all expectations tonight. The ferals on this tram are also living up to all expectations...

Ghost Dog
04-05-2012, 11:42 PM
I knew we would do the club proud tonight. They wobbled over the line really: that's a fair assessment. Anyone see the vision of Buckley screaming down the phone after the Lake goal? Pure gold. So put your hand up. Who predicted we would get smashed? I seriously think a lot of our players are underestimated by their supporters. Easton Wood was an example of that tonight.

They were a fresh team after 9 days of rest and supporters need to bear that in mind. We won many battles tonight against a better opponent which shows a lot of heart. Loved watching us play.

Eastdog
04-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I knew we would do the club proud tonight. They stumbled over the line. Had Buckley screaming down the phone like a desperate man. We are going to rattle odd big club and nobody is going to take anything for granted against us. Loved watching us play, and as I said before the game, no need to give Collingwood so much respect.

Well said Ghost Dog.

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 11:50 PM
I knew we would do the club proud tonight. They wobbled over the line really: that's a fair assessment. Anyone see the vision of Buckley screaming down the phone after the Lake goal? Pure gold. So put your hand up. Who predicted we would get smashed? I seriously think a lot of our players are underestimated by their supporters. Easton Wood was an example of that tonight.

They were a fresh team after 9 days of rest and supporters need to bear that in mind. We won many battles tonight against a better opponent which shows a lot of heart. Loved watching us play.

You stood by the boys and have been vindicated tonight. All credit for a positive attitude. Lets hope they continue to trend up over the next few years. Cheers.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2012, 12:14 AM
How good was Easton Woods game? Just superb. So very disappointing that he did a hammy. We did not look as solid down back after he went off.

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 04:44 PM
How good was Easton Woods game? Just superb. So very disappointing that he did a hammy. We did not look as solid down back after he went off.

Big factor in the final analysis, for what was a relatively tight game. Losing our best performing player on the night up to that point was something we could ill afford.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 08:20 PM
You stood by the boys and have been vindicated tonight. All credit for a positive attitude. Lets hope they continue to trend up over the next few years. Cheers.

Me too Lantern, Cheers!

LostDoggy
09-05-2012, 11:11 AM
My realistic expectation is that we will lose by a fair margin and I will get a lot of my book read. :(

We played much better than I thought we would. Didn't get my book out all night!! :o