PDA

View Full Version : Rd 6: Match Preview - Dogs Vs Pies

Bulldog Revolution
02-05-2012, 03:34 PM
When: Friday, May 4th – 7.50pm
Where: Etihad
Last Time they met: Round 6 2011 Collingwood 15.15 (105) def. Western Bulldogs 8.9 (57)

Over the last 4 encounters the closest we have got is 10 points in Rd 11 2010. Last year we were beaten comfortably by 48. We were close at three quarter time, but this didn’t really reflect the state of play as we struggled to get the ball inside 50, but converted at nicely when we did. In the last quarter they blew us away kicking 8 goals to our 1 in a training drill.

Last week

A poor first term comprised of lots of fumbling, errant handballs and missed shots at goal. However, we got going in the second and had a comfortable win. We would have needed to have won by 100 to have avoided anything other than ‘Disappointing Dogs’ headlines so I don’t read too much into that. The Giants, as McCartney said have a lot of talent. For my way of thinking we continued to play a lot of players who are vital to our future in Dahlhaus, Libba, Wallis, Roughie, Cordy. We are also playing DJ, Sherman, Vez and Addison who need games for us to figure out if they are part of our future. Combined with that I believe Cooney is starting to get a handle on his role, as are, I hope, lots of the other experienced players. I hardly saw any of the Pies V Ess on ANZAC day, maybe 10 minutes in the third when it looked the pies were going to skip clear comfortably. Obviously the Bombers lifted, but the Pies won and would be happy. With articles spruiking the return of premiership players spirits should be high at the Westpac/Lexus/Eddie Centre.

Key Matchups

Minson vs Jolly – Over his career Minson has generally performed well against the Pies, including one particularly enjoyable final. Jolly has looked keen to atone for a less than stellar campaign in 2011, and has started relatively well. Both are old fashioned physical competitors, who get a bit of the ball, but not lots, with Jolly probably having the edge in impact given he has kicked 4 goals in 2012, and Minson yet to score. We’d like to think Minson is building towards some excellent form.

Boyd vs Swan – A massive test for our captain against one of the premier midfielders in the competition. Whilst Swan has a peculiar running gait, he covers a lot of ground and is extremely damaging with the ball by foot and hand - Runs like a duck, stings like a bee. Boyd is no slouch and is averaging 32 touches a game compared to Swans 34. Our skipper has his detractors for his disposal, which is variable, at times he hits them beautifully at other times not so. It would be brilliant to see Boydy kick a goal or two against the Pies.

Maxwell vs Nobody in particular – Maxwell plays his best football playing on nobody in particular, he likes to roam free, be the third man up, and set up the play out of the back half. In partnership with Shaw he has made our life very difficult over recent times. We need a strategy to not have Maxwell and Shaw cutting everything off. Of our half forwards, I believe Cooney is quietly starting to adjust to his changed role.

Picken vs Pendlebury – Both players are in terrific form. Picken is perhaps quietly having his best season, and is a loved player by Bulldog supporters who know just how much he puts into doing his job. Pendlebury is the tall, running midfielder, who seems to always have time and space, and cuts teams to pieces with his use. Early in the season Pendlebury performed superbly against the Hawks in a finals like match. The rest of his season hasn’t perhaps matched that but he’s still one of the best 10 midfielders in the game.

Lake/Markovic vs Cloke/Dawes – We really are hoping for Marko to come up for this one to give us options down back. Cloke is becoming more consistent as a player and is a good chance to get supply against us, whilst Dawes seems to be becoming even more enigmatic. Lake has also been a bit enigmatic, which is well documented, but hopefully should be better for the hitout last week. Continuity seems to be important to Bryza, and we still have hopes he can build towards close to his best form.

Wellingham/Thomas V Griffen – I have to confess here I am not sure who the Pies will play on Griff, Wellingham tends to get more centre square types doesn’t he, but Griffen is clearly our prime mover and not one who you want to just run around by himself. In some of our recent poor performances against the Pies Griff has stood out like a beacon, particularly the disappointing 2010 Final. Perhaps not leading the B&F yet due to missing a game or two, but Griff is as good now as he’s ever been.

Summing up

From the start of the season the signals were clear from Buckley that they needed to re-develop the team. He has blooded more kids, taking a very youthful team into Rd 1, and made the vets come back through the VFL. McCartney has likewise persisted with Marko and Jones in key roles, blooded inexperienced players (Howard, Smith, Wallis) and played the 3 talls (Minnow, Roughie and Cordy), whilst knowing that probably at this moment in time the team would perform better with only 1 of Roughie or Cordy in the side. This selection approach may change this week against the Pies were more run would seem to be important.

Fundamentally, we have struggled collectively to match their best players over the past 3 years and it’s been a key deciding factor in the fact we have not been able to really get anywhere near them for enough of games to legitimately have any hope of winning. Of their genuine prime movers with Shaw and Thomas forecasted to be back it looks a big ask of us. They are a genuine premiership contender whilst we are in a re-development phase.

What I’d like to see from us is to persist with our young players, and for many of those young players to rise to the occasion. Yes, Easton Wood, Libba, Mitch, Jones, Grant, Roughie/Cordy etc I am talking about you. Collectively I want to see with the endeavour we’ve shown in patches (Adelaide/West Coast) combined with better execution all over the ground and conversion up forward. But then I am fan, I want it all, and I want it now.

This is a big game for us on the big stage of Friday night footy. Our results so far have been a bare pass, and with news of declining membership, this game shapes as being important for the belief of our player and supporter groups. Make no mistake, without belief, nothing can be achieved.

Can we match the Pies stars, particularly around the ball? Can we deliver the ball better to our forwards? Can one or more of our forwards stand up and not only win the ball, but kick the goals?

Prediction: Ask someone else. Is this a copout? Yes, but too bad, I don’t like having to commit to actually tipping against us. Firstly, it could be used in a court of law against me, and secondly, because I gave up tipping because I am just incapable of tipping with my head when it comes to the Dogs. I cannot do it.

Sedat
02-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Excellent summary BR. Boyd has been absolutely torched by Swan in recent matches so I would hope to see him put some defensive time into curtailing Swan's incredible ball winning appetite - if Boyd doesn't sacrifice his role somewhat, Swan will torch him yet again.

Picken on Thomas might also be on the cards. I know Pendlebury struggled with Carrazzo a couple of weeks ago but I haven't seen any consistent evidence that tagging Pendlebury is an effective tactic against ther filth. Thomas is their true line breaker and Picken tends to do very well on these types.

Good call on Cooney up forward and starting to get used to his role there. If nothing else, he adds pace and skill in an area we are sorely lacking both elements.

Greystache
02-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Great job BR,

This Friday is really a big game, it's the first time we're on the big stage and we are playing a premiership contender (even if they look little more than average at the moment). A strong performance will build confidence for the players and build positivity amongst the supporters, but a thumping will be deflating for all concerned.

EasternWest
02-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Nice one Bulldog Revolution. I never knew you were so good with words.

Does anyone think we can win? I'm with BR, I can't make myself predict a crushing loss, but that's what I see. Wait, did I just contradict myself?

Bulldog Revolution
02-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Picken on Thomas might also be on the cards. I know Pendlebury struggled with Carrazzo a couple of weeks ago but I haven't seen any consistent evidence that tagging Pendlebury is an effective tactic against ther filth. Thomas is their true line breaker and Picken tends to do very well on these types.

I figured Thomas had been been out injured and had started the season slowly and Pendlebury is just so important to them

DragzLS1
02-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I am exactly the same! I know in my head that we will loose this game by a decent margin, But my heart just says no! We can beat them if all goes well! It is 18 vs 18 on the pitch on Friday night so anything is possible

westdog54
02-05-2012, 06:46 PM
First of all BR thanks for filling in at the last minute for me.

Great write up. Nothing that I disagree with in there.

We absolutely need to make Shaw and Maxwell accountable. If we can't do that we might as well not turn up.

I don't like to lose, but I also can't see us dining this one when Collingwood are better than us in every part of the ground. An honourable and competitive loss would be a pass mark.

bornadog
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Nice one BR, I think you have the match ups right. Is there anyone else we can stick on Swann?

I fear a shalcking but if we can get the ball to someone in the forward line on the lead we have a chance as Statistically,:

* we are number two on Disposals to Collingwood 11th,
* pretty even on contested possessions, and clearances,
* we have kicked 54 goals this season and Collingwood 62
* Hitouts we are 8th and Collingwood 16th
* Contested Marks, we have had 56 and Collingwood 58
* tackles we are averaging 62 to Collingwood 65

Stats do lie though:o

Just hoping for a competitive game and if we were ever to beat them, then its now as they have lots of players returning from injury.

Desipura
02-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Nice one BR, I think you have the match ups right. Is there anyone else we can stick on Swann?

I fear a shalcking but if we can get the ball to someone in the forward line on the lead we have a chance as Statistically,:

* we are number two on Disposals to Collingwood 11th,
* pretty even on contested possessions, and clearances,
* we have kicked 54 goals this season and Collingwood 62
* Hitouts we are 8th and Collingwood 16th
* Contested Marks, we have had 56 and Collingwood 58
* tackles we are averaging 62 to Collingwood 65

Stats do lie though:o

Just hoping for a competitive game and if we were ever to beat them, then its now as they have lots of players returning from injury.
If we pulled off a miracle and won, it would be at least equal to the win against Essendon in 2000.

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 08:03 PM
If we beat any team on top of us it would almost be a miracle.

Eastdog
02-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Good Preview BR. If we won it would be a big confidence booster as we beat a premiership contender in Collingwood. Based on past matches with the Pies this is unlikely but anything is possible and the Pies could have a bad day. In the 2008 Grand Final Geelong were clear favourites to win but had a bad day as their kicking let them down and Hawthorn took advantage and won the 2008 premiership.

SlimPickens
02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Very interesting read BR.

Completely agree on your point about Maxwell and Shaw we need to nullify the effect these two have on the game. Meaning our forward defensive pressure has to be high. Shaw played on Grant preseason which may be an indication of possible match ups but if I was Bucks/Rocket I'd be looking at giving him the job on Gia, this will allow him greater space to move and set the pies up. This week more than ever I'd be tempted to play Murph forward, I know its a little robbing Peter to pay Paul but I'd imagine if Murph is forward the pies would be concerned on nullifying him than a Grant for example.

Eastdog
02-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Very interesting read BR.

Completely agree on your point about Maxwell and Shaw we need to nullify the effect these two have on the game. Meaning our forward defensive pressure has to be high. Shaw played on Grant preseason which may be an indication of possible match ups but if I was Bucks/Rocket I'd be looking at giving him the job on Gia, this will allow him greater space to move and set the pies up. This week more than ever I'd be tempted to play Murph forward, I know its a little robbing Peter to pay Paul but I'd imagine if Murph is forward the pies would be concerned on nullifying him than a Grant for example.

Who would play where Murph is plays off half back?

SlimPickens
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Who would play where Murph is plays off half back?

As I said robbing Peter to pay Paul. Would not be one player in particular but a combination of vez, hargrave, Higgins, Addison etc

Do you see a clear match up for Murph in defence?

Eastdog
02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
As I said robbing Peter to pay Paul. Would not be one player in particular but a combination of vez, hargrave, Higgins, Addison etc

Do you see a clear match up for Murph in defence?

One of Collingwood Half forwards.

Go_Dogs
02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Love your work BR, very well written preview.

Like others, really looking forward to the game. I'm hopeful Collingwood are a bit flat after a couple of games in quick succession and the massive build up associated with the ANZAC game. I'm not expecting us to win, but I expect us to be pretty competitive all day and be in the game.

Will be interesting to see if we do go in with another runner.

Bulldog Revolution
02-05-2012, 10:47 PM
We absolutely need to make Shaw and Maxwell accountable. If we can't do that we might as well not turn up.

Its cliche, but we've really struggled to take them out of their game, and just having their half back dictate terms hasn't worked for us

Nobody else apart from Picken and Cross, perhaps Griffen, would likely have the running ability to go with him, would they?

...if I was Bucks/Rocket I'd be looking...I'd be tempted to play Murph forward, I know its a little robbing Peter to pay Paul

Nice one Slim, I hadn't even thought about the Rocket dogs insider knowledge at the pies

Its been interesting how many comments had been made by commentators during our games about playing Murphy forward.

Macca has been keen to develop a settled back 6 and Murphy has been the main settled component, given Lake, Hargrave, and Markovic have all missed games, and Addison and Wood are still learning the craft down back.

With that in mind, and perhaps because he recognises the need to develop forward line options Macca has been reluctant to send Murphy forward - will this change I don't know

Hotdog60
02-05-2012, 11:00 PM
I wonder if it would be a good time to give Hill a shot. Is the Pies defense all that strong against a tall marking forward.

Hill is mobile for a big guy and has had some form in the VFL.

Jones reasonable quick for a tall and if on song a good contested mark so that makes two talls to defend, Grant becomes the leading forward with Gia. Providing we can take our marks inside fifty could we stretch their defense.

Scraggers
02-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Great preview BR ... It is great to see us play a Friday night game against a big supporter based club ... It will be a great experience for our younger players.

Unfortunately I think we will get beaten convincingly ... To me, anything under 5 goals will be a exceptional result.

The Coon Dog
02-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I understand Darren Jolly won't play.

Flamethrower
03-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Wellingham/Thomas V Griffen – I have to confess here I am not sure who the Pies will play on Griff, Wellingham tends to get more centre square types doesn’t he, but Griffen is clearly our prime mover and not one who you want to just run around by himself. In some of our recent poor performances against the Pies Griff has stood out like a beacon, particularly the disappointing 2010 Final. Perhaps not leading the B&F yet due to missing a game or two, but Griff is as good now as he’s ever been.

Marty Clarke will play on Ryan Griffen. Clarke ran with Brent Stanton last week and took him to the cleaners a few days after Stanton destroyed Carlton.

jeemak
03-05-2012, 01:27 AM
If we pulled off a miracle and won, it would be at least equal to the win against Essendon in 2000.

Nope. Not even close. Collingwood are vulnerable right now.

jeemak
03-05-2012, 01:29 AM
I understand Darren Jolly won't play.

You're not wrong often.....so here's hoping.

jeemak
03-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Great write up. Well done.

I personally think Collingwood will hurt their long term prospects if they rush players back for this Friday, and as a result I'm not sure they'll do it.

I like the idea of Picken on Pendlebury. While quick players are hard to match up on for taggers, those that cruise between contests, though always seem to make it over four quarters to them are just as hard to stop.

I don't think Boyd can take Swan by himself, in fact, I don't think anyone can if he's on song. A team approach towards shutting down prime movers beyond Picken's man is required this week, and we need to ensure our forward line is prepared to play close when Collingwood have the ball to curb the effectiveness of their midfield group.

Collingwood is vulnerable this week. They have many younger players, a new coach and they're not in the same form they were a year or two ago. IMO they're ripe for being tested, and if we can smarten up our forward ball movement just a touch, and curb the influence of one or two of their midfielders, as well as Shaw and co down back then we're going to be competitive.

Ghost Dog
03-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Didak likely to be their sub I guess. Who will ours be? They have had a 9 day break. Will be pretty fresh, so have to be realistic.
They don't rate us, so hope they try a few things with younger players, which may give us an opportunity.

BulldogBelle
03-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I wonder if it would be a good time to give Hill a shot. Is the Pies defense all that strong against a tall marking forward.

Hill is mobile for a big guy and has had some form in the VFL.

Jones reasonable quick for a tall and if on song a good contested mark so that makes two talls to defend, Grant becomes the leading forward with Gia. Providing we can take our marks inside fifty could we stretch their defense.

Sorry but Grant playing as a leading forward and providing delivery to our forward line - groan

Eastdog
03-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Sorry but Grant playing as a leading forward and providing delivery to our forward line - groan

What about trying Liam Jones up forward. How do you think he would go up there?

Mantis
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Where do you think Jones had been playing this year?

Eastdog
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Where do you think Jones had been playing this year?

At half forward. I'd say that is his preferred position.

SlimPickens
03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
One of Collingwood Half forwards.

Do you have an opinion on a player that would be a good match up for Murph?

My suggestion of Murph going forward is because there isn't a clear defensive match up for him.

Eastdog
03-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Do you have an opinion on a player that would be a good match up for Murph?

My suggestion of Murph going forward is because there isn't a clear defensive match up for him.

I don't really have suggestion for a match up for him. Do you think SlimPickens that Macca will play him forward?

bornadog
03-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Do you actually watch games?

Eastdog
03-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Yes of course I do. I was answering to the suggestion of playing Jarrad Grant at FF another poster said that he wouldn't be good up there. I suggested possibly Jones to play a bit in FF.

SlimPickens
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM

was wondering the same thing

SlimPickens
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't really have suggestion for a match up for him. Do you think SlimPickens that Macca will play him forward?

No i don't but wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

Desipura
03-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Nope. Not even close. Collingwood are vulnerable right now.
And we are not vulnerable? We are in a worse position currently as a team than we were in 2000.

EasternWest
03-05-2012, 07:30 PM

I think ED meant full forward.

Edit: just saw his/her confirmation.

Eastdog
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I think ED meant full forward.

Edit: just saw his/her confirmation.

Thanks for clearing that up EasternWest.

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Back from Hospital after the operation , everything,s ok

Some interesting outs with Grant ( hip ) and Cordy ( back ) , Roughead stays and they needed more game time into Tommy Hill at Willi before he comes up for selection

By taking out a tall and not effectively replacing a tall this is one game when Minson and Roughead have to make a solid impact up forward , again with the structure Macca uses the forwards are Jones and Veszpremi , Jones on the 50m arc and Veszpremi as a sweeper on the 30m arc , Cooney Sherman and Djerrkura will all rotate between midfield and the hole between Jones and FF

The backline is going to be where we make or break it , Addison I,d like to see play a lockdown role on Shaw , Hargrave can go to Beams and then we might be able to get Murphy on Sinclair where he might be able to run off him to generate some rebound , Cloke and Dawes are going to give us some headaches with their movement up the ground where effectively they create the space for Swan , Sidebottom and Pendlebury to push forward of the ball to either score or clog the zones , Austin is still learning and is going to have to work very hard , Lake is just going to have compete with Cloke and try to wear him down , who gets Jolly when he moves forward ? Well we might see Roughead spending some time back when he does

Our midfield are going have to try to channel the Collingwood run and carry to the boundary sides and put massive pressure on any attempt to switch play , if we can generate some turnovers from their switches of play and actually hurt them on the scoreboard then we can build some momentum to slow them down and force them to be more patient with the ball, trying to find space for Griffen Dahlhaus and Sherman is going to critical for any quick ball movement , the Pies have always placed a premium on giving the ball carrier physical protection and we must match them in this department

Both Minson and Roughead are going to have find some reserves and give us the second and third efforts we need to try to control the contests , I,m not saying dive on the ball and try to shovel it out like The Beard but they both need to get their hands dirty