PDA

View Full Version : No bark but Ryan Griffen packs bite

G-Mo77
04-05-2012, 02:33 AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/05/03/1226346/207870-ryan-griffen.jpg

RYAN Griffen has one of the slickest sidesteps in the game, and is just as elusive off the field.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Recommended Coverage
The career of Ryan Griffen

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

A best-and-fairest victory and the honour of being the Western Bulldogs' best finals player from 2008 to 2010 makes Griffen a headline act, but he rarely talks publicly.

"I guess I'm a quiet person. I keep to myself a little bit and that's just the way I've been over the years," Griffen said yesterday in a rare interview.

He may be an attacking free spirit for two hours every week, but there is no danger of him seeking a regular seat on The Footy Show.

"Some people are confident in doing that kind of thing and that's fine. But for me, it's something I'm not confident in," Griffen said.

"I just like to keep a low profile."

What Griffen does on his day off each week sums up his attitude to the fanfare that comes with being an elite AFL footballer.

Others might rest up midweek, sipping coffee in inner-city cafes, but Griffen jumps in his car for the 115km drive north to Yea.

"I go to a farm and do work experience there. I just love getting out on the farm," Griffen said.

"It's a stock farm with sheep and cattle, and I just help the farmer out there doing different things.

"The farmer's a Bulldogs fan and I told him that was what I was interested in, so it went from there.

"I'm a bit more of an outdoors type of person.

"I try to head out there as much as I can just to get out of the big city.

"I'm from a little country town and the city was a big change for me. Just to get out once a week is a good thing."

Griffen grew up in Goolwa, an historic port town of fewer than 6000 residents near the mouth of the Murray River in South Australia.

"My uncle owned a farm and we used to go out camping a lot. I don't mind sitting in a cafe having a latte, but I like getting out amongst it," Griffen said.

While the likes of Collingwood's Travis Cloke and St Kilda star Brendon Goddard continue to dominate headlines, and will no doubt front packed media conferences when they decide their intentions beyond this year, Griffen's quiet decision to stay at Whitten Oval was in keeping with his farm-boy philosophy.

Coming out of contract at the end of this season, Griffen could have waited and allowed suitors to circle, raising his price by the week. Instead, he tied himself to the Dogs until the end of 2015 before the season started.

"When the footy club came to me, I was over the moon," Griffen said.

"I love this place and I was absolutely pumped they came to me early and I got to sign that dotted line.

"It's this year and I've got another three, which is fantastic. I just wanted to get it done. I'm comfortable here."

Griffen is the Bulldogs' most dynamic player and, at age 25 with 147 games to his credit, is smack bang in his prime.

Matthew Boyd may be more consistent and reliable, but with Adam Cooney restricted by ongoing knee issues, Griffen is the game-buster; the first man the opposition tags.

He was sorely missed in Round 1 against West Coast after suffering a badly broken finger in the final practice match against Geelong.

"These things happen. Missed the one game, played with the glove and guard," Griffen said. "It was just a bit of a kick (to the hand).

"It's always frustrating to miss Round 1, but you work hard to get over it."

Since his return, he has copped taggers Clint Jones (St Kilda) and Jordie McKenzie (Melbourne) and can expect more special attention tonight against Collingwood.

Not only is he working hard on improving his ability to shake the stoppers and the mental challenges that come with it, he is also focusing on lifting his defensive workrate when he isn't making the trademark explosive runs. It was one of the points coach Brendan McCartney made when he arrived.

"The biggest change for me is I have to work very hard on my defensive game. When the ball has left my area, what am I doing after the ball has left my area to find someone and do something defensive for the team?," Griffen said.

"It's got to be a lot more balanced. My attacking game, I've got to continue that, but I've got to work extremely hard on my defensive game.

"If I can get both right, I'll be a better player. Brendan has been fantastic in that area."

Discussion also no doubt at times shifted to ways to tame the tag. "It's just a part of footy. It comes with it and it's something I've got to deal with a lot better," Griffen said.

"You've got to watch the players who get tagged each week like Dane Swan and Chris Judd - they just deal with it. They power through it, work through it and it's something I've got to get better at.

"You've got to be smarter in certain ways with the way you play. Don't let your brain overtake your actions.

"There are times they've gone out and beaten me, which is frustrating, but I have come out the other side and won, too."

Those times have undoubtedly underlined Griffen's leadership ability, but for a man of his talents and status there is still no official role in the leadership group.

"I'm not saying I don't want to be in the leadership group. It's something I'm working towards getting better at each year," Griffen said.

"I try to show leadership in the way I play ... my actions, my attack on the footy. I don't think you need to be loud to show leadership."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/no-bark-but-ryan-griffen-packs-bite/story-e6frf9jf-1226346213849

Cyberdoggie
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
He's a champ and a real bulldog. I couldn't more highly respect this guy and what he stands for.

Doc26
04-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Just love this bit.

"When the footy club came to me, I was over the moon," Griffen said.

"I love this place and I was absolutely pumped they came to me early and I got to sign that dotted line.

"It's this year and I've got another three, which is fantastic. I just wanted to get it done. I'm comfortable here."

"I try to show leadership in the way I play ... my actions, my attack on the footy. I don't think you need to be loud to show leadership."

He's certainly become a leader in my book and really respect how Griff. didn't take the Club on chasing big dollars that would've been quite easy for him to find elsewhere. Is great that loyalty and happiness can still trump dollars. Says a lot about the make up of the man. Is great having the likes of Griff and Murph showing the way for our younger guys.

And thanks to Mark Stevens for the positive article.

With all the negativity that pervades is great to read a story that gives a boost to one's faith in humanity.

bornadog
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
When we drafted Ryan in a very strong draft, we got the best player.

He is an A grader but not recognised as such outside the club, but then again do we ever have a player like that.

DragzLS1
04-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Dont we all just love Griff! Top bloke and respect the club that respects him back! Hope he is a bulldog for life along with Murph. Is a good attitude to have towards fotty and definately showing the young guys that its not all about the top dollar :)

dadsgirl16
04-05-2012, 11:48 AM
love ya Griff!!

BulldogBelle
04-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I have a feeling that by the time this guy finishes up at our club we will hold him in similar regard to Granty.

1eyedog
04-05-2012, 12:07 PM
By the end he will be one of the very best players to have ever played at the club.

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
By the end he will be one of the very best players to have ever played at the club.

Totally Agree 1eye

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Totally Agree 1eye

+1. The full-sized poster of him wearing the premiership medal will look great on our walls. :)

Go_Dogs
04-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Good article. Not enough words to describe what this bloke means to the club. Hope he smashes the Pies tonight.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2012, 12:15 AM
What a game by Griff tonight. He is a star. Always shines on the big stage.

bornadog
05-05-2012, 12:48 AM
What a game by Griff tonight. He is a star. Always shines on the big stage.

Two radio stations gave him bog.

AndrewP6
05-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Good stuff Griff!

Greystache
05-05-2012, 02:40 AM
For a shy bloke he certainly revels on the big stage.

Wish we had more like him

jeemak
05-05-2012, 05:06 AM
I know I probably shouldn't have asked the question of the BF masses, though after tonight's game I had to.

Is Ryan Griffen an A grade player, or an A+ player..............it should be interesting to see how this one goes:

http://bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941106

It's not likely to end well, of course, though I thought it might be nice to see what the Proletariat think.......

Maddog37
05-05-2012, 09:05 AM
You are just begging for nuffies to disparage him with a thread like that.not worth the grief IMO.

Desipura
05-05-2012, 09:08 AM
For a shy bloke he certainly revels on the big stage.

Wish we had more like him
We did, his name is Cooney just not the same Cooney. Thats why a Dangerfield would be ideal.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 10:00 AM
You are just begging for nuffies to disparage him with a thread like that.not worth the grief IMO.

I'm not really too stressed about it. Though I think BF is a pretty good gauge as to the average ignant (sic) footy supporters thoughts.