PDA

View Full Version : Round 6 - Bankers and Anchors

westdog54
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
This is the round 6 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Collingwood is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Rance Fan
04-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Banker
The Team - great effort, just ran out of juice
Minson - Great effort
Lake - Back to his best today

Anchor
Kicks in defence in last quarter - Higgins, Murph Addison - resulted in goals from memory
Jones - Poor fitness and no goals
Not winning this match when we had a chance!

westdog54
04-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Bankers

Griffen - Pure Class, easily our BOG
Lake - His best game in 18 months. Its official, he's back.
Cross - Turned back the clock a couple of years tonight.

Anchors

Jones - We've been bemoaning the poor delivery he has been getting, well, some of his disposal and decision making tonight was a bit of a square up. He's better than tonight's effort.
Addison - There was some endeavour there but that last turnover was the final nail in the teams coffin tonight.
Bear with me on this one, Minson - Ok. A disclaimer first up, I think he had a good game with his work around the ground, but, when you don't have the opposition ruckman contest at a centre bounce there's no excuse for the ball going straight to an opposition rover. He and Roughie dominated the ruck conetst but nowhere near enough of it went to advantage. Like I said I wasn't unhappy with his game but, again, he's better than that.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 12:01 AM
:Bankers- The team. The fans.

Anchors - skill level under pressure. I have not given up on Vezpa and DA. They did some good stuff but cost us a few goals.

EasternWest
05-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Addison - There was some endeavour there but that last turnover was the final nail in the teams coffin tonight.

I know I sound like a broken record with Addison, but I think it's unfair to single out his admitted poor mistake when the game was arguably over. Murphy's turnover was at a more crucial stage of the game and he put it down Cloke's throat. But the worst of all was Higgins' turnover under little to no pressure and he dollied it up to O'Brien. These things are skill errors, and mistakes are made. I would be disinclined to single out Addison without mentioning the other two.

All that being said, my three anchor (moments) were Murphy, Higgins and Addison for the reasons listed above.

Bankers
Griff's goal. What a beauty.
Lake looking more assured, it's a welcome sight.
Hargrave - I didn't get to see the entire game, but he looked better to me tonight.

Remi Moses
05-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Bankers- Griffen, great again
Lake- held Cloke kickless(cloke's got an ordinary record against us)
Libba- he was excellent
Wood - was damaging early
Minson - playing well
Hargrave - very good tonight

Anchors - The skill errors that cost goals , by senior players!
Higgins - has to find some urgency or he'll get traded
Addison - yeah we know he's a goer, but errors and the fact he goes to ground to often.Geesh
The disfunctional forward 50! Jones has to lift, but the delivery into the F50 is awful!! We really need a lead up target urgently. Hence why we went after Bate of Melbourne.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Bankers

Griffen - A few more games like that and he will crack Sheehan's mid season top 20 (something all of the players and fans alike get up especially early for on publishing date)

Wood - Shame he jagged a hammy. Hopefully it's not that serious as he showed why we have been excited by him over the last year or two.

Minson - Better of the rucks for the day.

Anchors

Jones - Some of his kicking tonight was pretty bad. He needs to be told to move the ball laterally and short, or just short rather than kicking it soft and high to outnumbered team mates when he gets the ball outside HF.

Higgins and Sherman - Putting these two together as beyond their two efforts in the last I thought they were effective most of the night. First, Sherman should have had the shot from the pocket, and Higgins should have instructed him to do so. Second, Sherman should have kept his lead going towards the flank (to clear space behind him for one, but also to allow greater margin of error for Higgins kick - small thing though he ended up too narrow and at Etihad you get burnt doing that), and Higgins for that terrible skill error.

774 Comentary Team - After the game they were talking about a mid season draft and how one might affect the respective teams. Not only was the discussion sub-par, it detracted from a game that could have done with analysis rather than self indulgent ramblings. Made the drive home a bit frustrating.

Bornadog, take note. One week down without bagging Daniel Cross, 16 to go barring injury or suspension.

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Bankers
-Griffen. Amazing. Deserved to win the medal BOG
-Minson really starting to build confidence and stringing good games together
-Hargrave/Lake really played well and combined beautifully most of the night

Anchors
-Dahlhous, feel bad doing this but after quarter time was not cited. Is he injured? Or getting tired?
-The turnovers in the last quarter. Higgins, Murphy and Addison! Ouch!
-Jones, tried hard. But stop running under the ball son!!

azabob
05-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Bankers
-Griffen. Amazing. Deserved to win the medal BOG
-Minson really starting to build confidence and stringing good games together
-Hargrave/Lake really played well and combined beautifully most of the night

Anchors
-Dahlhous, feel bad doing this but after quarter time was not cited. Is he injured? Or getting tired?
-The turnovers in the last quarter. Higgins, Murphy and Addison! Ouch!
-Jones, tried hard. But stop running under the ball son!!

Agree with all yours. Special mention to Roughead and Gia purple patch in the third.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Bankers

Griff - Elite midfielder. They don't grow on trees. Just a an absolute a star. Always shines on the big stage. BOG.

Wood - Where has the real Easton Wood been all year? Just a massive reversal of form. Gutted for him that he hid his hammy.

Lake - Welcome back Brian. Super game. Did the the great defensive acts and that goal in the last quarter was ... dare I say it ... special.

Anchors

Higgins - Not good enough tonight. Disappointing. Really thought this kid was going to be a star of the competition after watching him in his debut season. He has gone backwards.

Dalhaus - Had no real impact tonight after being the real star for us in the last couple of weeks.

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Bank:
Wood - He shut me up tonight
Griff - Gun, If I were gay (or drunk).
Defenders - Never thought they could put a game like that together without Dale or a
Williams playing the game of his life.

Wank:
Murphy's two mistakes - He played a good game, but those two resulted in two
Pie goals at the most critical time. (cost the game IMO)
Woods Hamstring - Really? Has showed nothing for ages, now gets some run into his legs and everyone is on board except his acual legs.

Higgins - You have lost me

bornadog
05-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Bornadog, take note. One week down without bagging Daniel Cross, 16 to go barring injury or suspension.

if he deserves it fair enough. Tonight he played his best game.

Remi Moses
05-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Think we should trade Higgins personally.
While he has that word "potential" we'll get something.
Just not urgent enough for mine!!

bornadog
05-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Bankers

Griffen what a star

Lake and Austin kept their opponents out of the game

Gia's two goals in the third kept us in it

Anchors

Addison, Murphy and Higgins turnovers in the last

Vez running back with the flight the ball and stops for fear of getting hurt

General team skill level - do they practice hitting someone on the chest with a pass?

EasternWest
05-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Anchors

Addison, Murphy turnovers

But Higgins' was ok?

bornadog
05-05-2012, 01:05 AM
But Higgins' was ok?

Forgot that one, post changed

jeemak
05-05-2012, 01:08 AM

Yeah he played well didn't he.

EasternWest
05-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Forgot that one, post changed

Fair enough. Seemed odd to leave that one out. Three pretty costly boo boos.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 01:12 AM
But Higgins' was ok?

His output was generally OK, though if he's not going to get a lot of it he needs to make every usage count and he certainly can't afford to turn the ball over like he did in the last.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 01:21 AM

I feel I can't be objective about Higgo anymore. He contributes, but unsure often why the returns are not there. If he keeps working hard, I am sure they will come.

Remi Moses
05-05-2012, 01:27 AM
I feel I can't be objective about Higgo anymore. He contributes, but unsure often why the returns are not there. If he keeps working hard, I am sure they will come.

He is frustrating as any player at the club.
He just doesn't show enough urgency, and I just reckon some other clubs really rate him.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 01:29 AM

So we trade out a guy who is capable of kicking a couple of goals a game in a disfunctional forward line that gets serviced with very ordinary delivery?

What do we get in return? If you don't rate him, what's the liklihood of list managers of AFL clubs rating him highly enough for us to get reasonable compensation? With our drafting record (which is a significant contributing factor towards us being bereft of small to medium sized goal kickers) would you be happy for us to take our chances of utilising a low first round or a high second round pick and securing a goal kicker that's ready to go?

I think the word potential has to shelved when discussing Higgins. Sure, his output will increase as we improve as a side, though in our current predicament you're not going to get a lot more than he delivered today. If he cuts out the errors he'll be an effective player, that requires a very competent defender to shut him down. At this stage, he and Gia are the only small to medium sized players on the list you can say that about.

G-Mo77
05-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Bankers

Brian Lake. I've been riding this guy all pre-season and I'll happily say I was way off the mark. He's still one of the best backs in the league.

Ryan Griffen. He's taken his game to another level. Matthew Llyod should watch one of his games before opening his trap. No A Graders. Phhh!

Harry O'Brien. Our best avenue to goal. :D

Anchors.

Jones. Had a howler, felt sorry for him tonight. He'll be better for it.

Wood's hamstring injury. Cruel blow for him after putting together such a good performance.

Turnovers. You can list the usual suspect here but a lot of them also came from our better players.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 01:33 AM
S

If he cuts out the errors he'll be an effective player, that requires a very competent defender to shut him down. At this stage, he and Gia are the only small to medium sized players on the list you can say that about.

In general, we have to improve our second efforts for four quarters, and tackling ferocity. I'd like to see our forwards have the mental toughness of our midfielders.

Sedat
05-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Bankers:
Libba - Terrific hands in tight did a lot of grunt work in close to free up his teammates
Griff - Got some telling possessions forward of the centre and also did some great work defensively
Wood - Shook off his awful previous form to play like he has teased us for the last couple of years. His rebound drive was outstanding until he got injured - we actually missed his drive in the last 40 minutes.

Anchors:
Bob, Higgins and Addison defensive 50 turnovers were all unbelievably poor skill execution errors. Actually our general skill level is abysmal and it undoes all the hard work we put in to win possession of the ball - we desperately need some skill injected into the team.
Jones - Was poor tonight. Didn't make himself dangerous and was beaten in a number of one-on-ones - wasn't a factor tonight.

Eastdog
05-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Was Cross more towards a Banker or was he more towards an Anchor. In my opinion he was more towards a Banker.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Bankers:
Libba - Terrific hands in tight did a lot of grunt work in close to free up his teammates
Griff - Got some telling possessions forward of the centre and also did some great work defensively
Wood - Shook off his awful previous form to play like he has teased us for the last couple of years. His rebound drive was outstanding until he got injured - we actually missed his drive in the last 40 minutes.

Anchors:
Bob, Higgins and Addison defensive 50 turnovers were all unbelievably poor skill execution errors. Actually our general skill level is abysmal and it undoes all the hard work we put in to win possession of the ball - we desperately need some skill injected into the team.
Jones - Was poor tonight. Didn't make himself dangerous and was beaten in a number of one-on-ones - wasn't a factor tonight.

I'll defend Jones here because skills are related to f50 entry. Kicking it to your leading forward's ankles is no help.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Perhaps it is a body language thing. Often, what annoys me most is not the turnovers, or the missed shots, but sloppy tackles that won't stick and a poor second effort.

There's no excuse for the turnovers. A player of his skill level only makes those errors when he doesn't concentrate to the level required.

As for the tackling, if you note a lot of slipped tackles from him then it's probably a sign he's trying to lay them. Stats don't tell the story all the time, though he was credited with four effective tackles tonight. Maybe it is a body language thing with him. Without knowing the guy it's hard to say how his attitude is reflected in the way he carries himself.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Was Cross more towards a Banker or was he more towards an Anchor. In my opinion he was more towards a Banker.

I think you're on the money Eastdog. He played a good game.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 01:49 AM
There's no excuse for the turnovers. A player of his skill level only makes those errors when he doesn't concentrate to the level required.

As for the tackling, if you note a lot of slipped tackles from him then it's probably a sign he's trying to lay them. Stats don't tell the story all the time, though he was credited with four effective tackles tonight. Maybe it is a body language thing with him. Without knowing the guy it's hard to say how his attitude is reflected in the way he carries himself.

Just like to see a bit more mongrel at times. The new coach will sort it out and back Higgo to have a few big games this season.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Just like to see a bit more mongrel at times. The new coach will sort it out and back Higgo to have a few big games this season.

I hope so. He's missed a lot of football and had to work his way back in most seasons since he started after significant injuries. I don't think you can discount the impact that has on his development in terms of fitness and mental capacity to continaully perform.

If he gets a full year without injury under his belt, then I really think he'll take a pretty big step forward. Maybe a short back and sides hair cut would help his cause as well. :o

Greystache
05-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Bankers

Griffen- BOG

Wood- Best game in 2 years, such a shame he got injured

Cross- Backed himself to kick the ball and times and used it as well as anyone. I wish he'd back his right foot more.

Anchors

Murphy, Higgins, Addison Horrendous skill errors in defence to kill off any chance we had. Especially disappointing that two of them are senior players and couldn't handle the pressure.

Wood's hamstring- Him going off really hurt us

Jones- Really struggled tonight

jeemak
05-05-2012, 03:09 AM
The recurring theme from most is the skill errors from Higgins, Addison and Murphy.

The only one I didn't mention in my B and A post was Murphy, due to the distance over which he had to kick the football. Funny, as the ball was hanging in the air I really couldn't undertand why Addison didn't charge Cloke to make a contest, as it was obvious it was shanked off the boot.

The other two were concentration issues for mine. An issue for us under Rocket was our ability to concentrate over the entire game. Hopefully Bmac can assist us in becoming more consistent in this area.

EasternWest
05-05-2012, 06:29 AM
His output was generally OK, though if he's not going to get a lot of it he needs to make every usage count and he certainly can't afford to turn the ball over like he did in the last.

Sorry jeemak I was referring to his turnover, not to his game overall. I thought he was ok, though I didn't see all the game admittedly.

I tried to say Higgins' with an apostrophe. How do you say it anyway? Higginses? Higgins's?

The Coon Dog
05-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I tried to say Higgins' with an apostrophe. How do you say it anyway? Higginses? Higgins's?

That way.

Desipura
05-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I would have to agree that he was very good tonight, disposed of it quicker and longer. Did not go to ground as often either which was pleasing.

Desipura
05-05-2012, 09:29 AM
I think you're on the money Eastdog. He played a good game.
You have mentioned it 3 times, we get it, you think he played well and want to let everyone know given people have been critical of Cross on here (which you have also mentioned).

Maddog37
05-05-2012, 09:39 AM
See Crossy had 91% disposal efficiency too which is very impressive.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 09:47 AM
The recurring theme from most is the skill errors from Higgins, Addison and Murphy.

The only one I didn't mention in my B and A post was Murphy, due to the distance over which he had to kick the football. Funny, as the ball was hanging in the air I really couldn't undertand why Addison didn't charge Cloke to make a contest, as it was obvious it was shanked off the boot.

The other two were concentration issues for mine. An issue for us under Rocket was our ability to concentrate over the entire game. Hopefully Bmac can assist us in becoming more consistent in this area.

Watching the post match interview with Bmac, he didn't seem to fussed about the turnovers.. What cost us was not ' cracking in' late in the 2nd and fourth quarter.

Overall, I don't think we had any anchors at all last night. Vezpermi may want to forget a few handballs and Murph will regret a few plays. It doesn't make them anchors IMO

NoParkingOnMatchDays
05-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Anchors - Smorgo's new glasses. Shocking. Made an absolute spectacle of himself.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 10:06 AM
You have mentioned it 3 times, we get it, you think he played well and want to let everyone know given people have been critical of Cross on here (which you have also mentioned).

Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning Desipura?

The last couple of weeks I've been giving Cross a pasting, and I jokingly commented in my first post that I managed to avoid doing so this week.

I don't see what's wrong with answering another posters question either.

SonofScray
05-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Bankers:
Griffen - elite
Minson - effective
Cross - efficient

Anchors:

Murphy - sloppy
Addison - slow
Higgins - similar

Sedat
05-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Another couple of anchor moments that were really costly last night. Lake and Austin didn't kill the marking contest twice at defensive 50 in the 2nd half that allowed the ball to spill goal side and cost us 2 crucial goals when we had some momentum. Both players were very good for the most part last night, but it is infuriating whenever a defender commits to the aerial contest and allows the ball to spill goal side instead of smashing it to the boundary.

always right
05-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Thought Cross did well tonight. Anyone agree?

Sedat
05-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Thought Cross did well tonight. Anyone agree?
Liked that he trusted his kicking and also liked that he was used by his teammates as an outlet when in space. Waa very good last night and has been for a few weeks now.

always right
05-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Bankers
Wood was dynamic
Griffen appreciated not getting a hard tag
Minson....another good honest game from the big fella
Libba....important touches
Lake.....loved his attack tonight....let's see him back it up next week

Anchors
Jones.....sad sight last night
Dahl.....first poor gme for the year
Sooky la la Collingood supporters. Learn the rules ferals.

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Banker http://www.sticksite.com/gold_panning/gold-coin.gif

Lake and Austin did the job required , just compete and close up any space

Wood took the game on for the first time this year , looks like a completely different player when he does

Griffen tried to be the everywhere man and almost succeeded

Anchor http://static.tumblr.com/o9475gj/YKnm26zuf/anchor.gif

Anyone who criticizes Jones for having to repeatedly try to collect the ball from his feet , he's only 20 and has the weight of the media and unrealistic expectation on his shoulders , leave him alone

Murphy and Sherman made 4 bad mistakes at the end , they know they did the wrong thing

Doc26
05-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Anchor http://static.tumblr.com/o9475gj/YKnm26zuf/anchor.gif

Murphy and Sherman made 4 bad mistakes at the end , they know they did the wrong thing

From Twitter Land

@BobMurphy02: Relived that clanger to Cloke a few times in my sleep overnight. Auskick this morning, kids will give it to me

#kidsareruthless
#goodsleep

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Another couple of anchor moments that were really costly last night. Lake and Austin didn't kill the marking contest twice at defensive 50 in the 2nd half that allowed the ball to spill goal side and cost us 2 crucial goals when we had some momentum. Both players were very good for the most part last night, but it is infuriating whenever a defender commits to the aerial contest and allows the ball to spill goal side instead of smashing it to the boundary.

When the ball goes out the back, we arent helped with our lack of speed.

Happy Days
05-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Bankers

Wood - Had him BOG before he went off with that stupid hammy. Best game he's ever played

Griffen - Just an incredible player

The Backline - Dramatically undersized (spied Dawes one out with Addison a few times), but really held firm. Lake was particularly outstanding.

Anchors

Vez - As bad by hand as he is apparently good by foot. Also that effort running back with the flight was piss poor.

Jones - Making a habit of running under the ball and getting totally out of position.

Sherman - That pass was just stupid. Having said that, don't think Etihad could of contained how far he would've gotten around himself if he kicked that goal.

EasternWest
05-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Bankers
Griffen - Just an incredible player.

I said to a friend of mine last night that Griffen was the most underrated star in the league. Her response was "but he goes missing in big games".

I said "I rest my case".

comrade
05-05-2012, 04:27 PM
I said to a friend of mine last night that Griffen was the most underrated star in the league. Her response was "but he goes missing in big games".

I said "I rest my case".

Your friend obviously hasn't seen any of our finals in 2008-2010.

Rocco Jones
05-05-2012, 04:30 PM

I said "I rest my case".

This is a massive myth IMO. Big games are naturally harder to play in and he gets a lot of attention as it is but I believe he actually lifts in big moments. One of our very few (perhaps only) big game players.

EasternWest
05-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Your friend obviously hasn't seen any of our finals in 2008-2010.

Yeah that was my point.

This is a massive myth IMO. Big games are naturally harder to play in and he gets a lot of attention as it is but I believe he actually lifts in big moments. One of our very few (perhaps only) big game players.

Maybe I was unclear, but her reply only served to prove my point. She was legitimately surprised that I thought Griffen was both a star and underrated. He's a proven performer in big games, and her thinking that he wasn't only proved to me how underrated some outsiders have him.

It still surprises me though. He's a gun.

F'scary
05-05-2012, 07:22 PM
A tough game against a rated opponent. It was some of the lesser lights that caught my eye

Bankers:

Austin - we may have another reliable tall defender here
Roughead - progressing as a ruckman
Addison - big effort, gutsy player.

Anchors: Higgins, Murphy & Sherman for critical errors late in the last quarter when the game was in the balance

w3design
05-05-2012, 08:55 PM
I see mention and rightly so of the turnovers by Higgins, Murphy and Addison but does no one recall a handball from Boyd, 2nd qtr, which directly cost a goal? I think we concentrate a lot on what happens towards the end of games, but that was equally awful.

Anyway I agree with the banker/anchor nominations so far wholeheartedly. For something different let me put in mine.
Bankers:
I did appreciate the umpires this week! Didn't miss any to us. And rightly so, of course!
The fans that hung tough and came along with low hopes but still turned up.
The most civil Collingwood crowd I've ever encountered. Surprisingly good humoured. What's going on?

I also thought Roughhead was really good.

Anchors:

Yep, skill errors and turnovers. Ouch, after so much hard work and effort.
Cloke, unsighted, kicks a killer last qtr bomb.
Just the regret that we didn't get a win that would have ignited our season. So happy wit their effort but how fantastic would it be to be basking in a win today.

AndrewP6
05-05-2012, 09:00 PM
The most civil Collingwood crowd I've ever encountered. Surprisingly good humoured. What's going on?

Group of them in the standing area behind me. One in particular didn't shut up all night. After Cloke's first goal (after being well held), he pipes up with "Ah Clokey, look at that Dogs, doesn't he look good?" I turned and calmly called "He'll look even better next season in Freo colours!"....

He didn't respond, and his mates even laughed. :D

stefoid
05-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Watching the post match interview with Bmac, he didn't seem to fussed about the turnovers.. What cost us was not ' cracking in' late in the 2nd and fourth quarter.

Overall, I don't think we had any anchors at all last night. Vezpermi may want to forget a few handballs and Murph will regret a few plays. It doesn't make them anchors IMO

Well, the theme of the week was probably along the lines of "dont be afraid of failure - take the game on and you can win, and if you stuff it up, just try again next time - dont go into your shells"

So hes not going to pot them over individual mistakes.

stefoid
05-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Why the Sherman hate? We need confident players. Hes definately in my best 22 - quick, strong, takes the game on. Just what we need. Id like to se him settle down and string some consistantly good games together under macs direction.

FrediKanoute
05-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Bankers:

Lake - awesome game.....back to his best so lets hope it continues;
Wood - best game for the club and it really hurt us when he went off injured, we lost that run;
Griffen - class.....pure class

Anchors:

Sherman - a passenger today, take the shot
Addison - for all his good work during the day.......that kick....
Vezpremi - like Addison, undoes his good work with skill errors and turnovers.

FrediKanoute
05-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Why the Sherman hate? We need confident players. Hes definately in my best 22 - quick, strong, takes the game on. Just what we need. Id like to se him settle down and string some consistantly good games together under macs direction.

I agree Sherman's in my top 10, but he was awful yesterday....didn't get into the game and muffed a chance at goal late.....

bornadog
06-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Sherman - a passenger today, take the shot

Lots of posters having a crack at Sherman, but I think he played ok. He has changed his style of play under Macca and is now more team oriented as well as not just being an outside player. Of his 24 disposals, 9 were contested, this has been a major change.

Yes he should have had a shot for goal but would he have got it from that angle - who knows. He should have marked Higgins ball in the last quarter and been more aware of Harry O'Brien coming to intercept the ball. Overall he also created some goals and ran hard a few times to make leads.

Eastdog
06-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Lots of posters having a crack at Sherman, but I think he played ok. He has changed his style of play under Macca and is now more team oriented as well as not just being an outside player. Of his 24 disposals, 9 were contested, this has been a major change.

Yes he should have had a shot for goal but would he have got it from that angle - who knows. He should have marked Higgins ball in the last quarter and been more aware of Harry O'Brien coming to intercept the ball. Overall he also created some goals and ran hard a few times to make leads.

Ive said in a previous post somewhere that Sherman is just that type of player in that one match he will turn up and have a really good game, another match he won't have a good game. Where would have last night performance be rated as more towards a Banker or Anchor?

Hotdog60
06-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Group of them in the standing area behind me. One in particular didn't shut up all night. After Cloke's first goal (after being well held), he pipes up with "Ah Clokey, look at that Dogs, doesn't he look good?" I turned and calmly called "He'll look even better next season in Freo colours!"....

He didn't respond, and his mates even laughed. :D

I had a good chuckle at this, while on the subject of Cloke he was carrying on a fair bit to the umpire on the night about the way he thought he was being treated. Back a couple of seasons he would have got a free kick against him and a possible 50 metres for descent.

Ozza
07-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Bankers:

Griffen - obviously.
Liberatore - his hands were great - but what really impressed me was how well he weighted his kicks.
Roughead/Minson - took control against a weak ruck combo.
Wood - terrific until injured.

Anchors -

Of the anchors - I think it was only 'anchor moments' rather than players - as the guys who committed bad turnovers - Higgins, Bob, Addison and Boyd (for that handball in board - in the back pocket which Pendles intercepted) all played fairly well.

Sherman should have taken that shot for goal....but played well overall.

Ozza
07-05-2012, 10:16 AM

I agree - and like what Sherman brings to the side overall. We've looked better with him in the team so far this year.

azabob
07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
I agree - and like what Sherman brings to the side overall. We've looked better with him in the team so far this year.

Along with Sherman I also think we look better balanced with Veszpremi in the team.

I hope we stick with Vez and his attack on the ball continues to improve. I think it will.

SlimPickens
08-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Had to wait to watch the replay again

Bankers
Griffen-Fantastic in a big game once again
Wood- Took the games on, some of those side steps with speed to space were Dahlhaus-esq.
Lake-Good to see you back old boy

Anchors-
Missed handball targets- Boyd and Vez the biggest culprits, particularly in dangerous points of the ground.

Murphy-Kick to Cloke really disappointing by a senior player.

DJ-Need to know your limitations. Had the fumbles going as well which was disappointing after a solid month of footy.