PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 7 vs North Melbourne

Greystache
04-05-2012, 05:01 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for the game against North Melbourne?

A brief explanation for your changes would be good.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Wood with injury is a blow given his terrific game.

Jones needs to be dropped. I know he's going to be a good player and we need to inject games into him, but he has a lot to learn and he's really struggling at the moment. He's desperate for some confidence and touch, I think a 2 week spell would help. Seems to be carrying too much pressure on his shoulders and it's hindering his game big time.

GVGjr
05-05-2012, 12:42 AM

Jones needs to be dropped. I know he's going to be a good player and we need to inject games into him, but he has a lot to learn and he's really struggling at the moment. He's desperate for some confidence and touch, I think a 2 week spell would help. Seems to be carrying too much pressure on his shoulders and it's hindering his game big time.

What about a run against the Kangaroos as a key defender?

Prince Imperial
05-05-2012, 12:50 AM

I totally agree. He's been very poor for all six games this year and I don't think playing in the AFL is helping his development. If fit Cordy or Grant should take his place and if not certainly Hill should be considered.

Remi Moses
05-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Might be time for Liam to get some confidence back in the twos.
In- Howard hill( or Cordy)
Out Wood jones

Redemption97
05-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Jones needs to stay in the side for structure. Unless Panos or Hill bang the door down at Willy I'd like to see him remain in the side to play North. Look at Wood tonight... He showed that players can work through bad form. I wonder who will come in for Wood?

G-Mo77
05-05-2012, 01:24 AM
I'm sticking with Jones. He had a bad one tonight but I'll give him credit he never dropped his head and kept presenting and trying all night. He'll learn a lot from tonight and be better for it.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm sticking with Jones. He had a bad one tonight but I'll give him credit he never dropped his head and kept presenting and trying all night. He'll learn a lot from tonight and be better for it.

A few times, he was in a great leading position and the ball was kicked to his ankles. Presented well.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Would like to see how Willy goes prior to commenting, though Wood is the obvious out who needs to be replaced with a utility.

If Tutt plays well he might be a show to replace Wood, and if Hill can kick a handfull of goals then he deserves a shot. I can't see a lot of changes though.

Rocco Jones
05-05-2012, 04:52 PM
OUT: Wood

IN: If Markovic is fit and not rusty on the track, I would bring him in. It would make us a tad top heavy down back but we could release Shaggy and Lake a bit. We could also send one of the key defenders to pinch hit up forward/help out Jones when the resting ruckman isn't there.

If Marko isn't right, I would go with Dickson but I don't like the thought of him alongside Gia and Higgins.

Today didn't suit Tutt, would love for him to get his form and fitness up as we really need his type in the side.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2012, 05:29 PM
At the moment

Out: Wood (inj)

In: Markovic

Wallis to play a full game. I'd be starting Vez as the sub. I'd really like us to try and squeeze another goal kicking option in sooner rather than later, my hope is Skinner but he probably needs to string together some more consistent performances at the lower level before given an opportunity.

No need to make wholesale changes this week, however Markovic gives us some more height down back, and perhaps Lake can spend a bit more time forward this week to give Jones some support.

Rocco Jones
05-05-2012, 05:42 PM
At the moment

Out: Wood (inj)

In: Markovic

Wallis to play a full game. I'd be starting Vez as the sub. I'd really like us to try and squeeze another goal kicking option in sooner rather than later, my hope is Skinner but he probably needs to string together some more consistent performances at the lower level before given an opportunity.

No need to make wholesale changes this week, however Markovic gives us some more height down back, and perhaps Lake can spend a bit more time forward this week to give Jones some support.

I really don't see much in Skinner. He goes missing for big chunks (even whole) of the game at VFL level. Not strong enough to be a tall, doesn't get anywhere near enough of it as a small. My only hope for him is to either to a hell of a lot stonger (which I doubt he will due to his frame) or really get a massive tank (very doubt that too). I rate Dickson as more a goal kicking option despite his lack of height.

Not sure about Vez as a sub. I think the sub role suits either on ballers who struggle to run out a game or explosive outside wing/HFF types. Vez is coming along a bit as a slow but skillful HB.

bornadog
05-05-2012, 07:21 PM
The coach said Grant and Cordy will be back next week.

Rocco Jones
05-05-2012, 09:22 PM
The coach said Grant and Cordy will be back next week.

Back from injury or back into the senior side?

Bumper Bulldogs
05-05-2012, 10:03 PM
No need to panic, Cordy in for Wood, Cross to play down back and sub Roughy and Cordy giving Wallis the whole game.

Rance Fan
06-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Out Wood
In Cordy

bornadog
06-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Back from injury or back into the senior side?

Back in the seniors.

The Pie Man
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Back in the seniors.

I can see Grant coming in for Wood - but Cordy? Maybe for Jones, other than that we'd look very top heavy.

Might be worthwhile trying Grant down back - haven't minded the rare glimpses of him down there previously. He does my head in playing forward.

whythelongface
06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I can't understand the call to drop Jones. Who takes his place? Whoever takes his place will have the no. 1 defender and probably wont even get near the pill. Jones is a much better option than anyone else and the coaching staff will continue to persist with him.

Bulldog4life
06-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I can see Grant coming in for Wood - but Cordy? Maybe for Jones, other than that we'd look very top heavy.

Might be worthwhile trying Grant down back - haven't minded the rare glimpses of him down there previously. He does my head in playing forward.

Possibly although the two games that we have won Roughy, Minno & Cordy have all played.

Cyberdoggie
06-05-2012, 11:46 AM
A few times, he was in a great leading position and the ball was kicked to his ankles. Presented well.

But how many times did he run underneath the ball!

He's completely lost with his judgement of where to be in the contest.

I think sometimes he's deliberately running to the front of the pack in the hope of grabbing an easier one with a high leap or if it falls short because he doesn't want to be in the pack getting sandwiched as he's just not marking them.

When he's on a lead he seems to have no tricks to our position his opponent. He just run full bore at the footy hoping to beat them with pace but unless a draught horse is on him they are just right with him and push him under the ball when he leaps with a slight nudge.

At full pace he can't balance himself, and in standing contested marking he's not strong enough and usually gets double/triple teamed. It's no wonder he's completely lost his confidence.

LostDoggy
06-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Panos is the obvious choice for Jones.
Grant does my head in too when up forward (does my head in most of the time actually :mad:)

Rocco Jones
06-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Possibly although the two games that we have won Roughy, Minno & Cordy have all played.

I think the 44 guys who played for GWS or Melbourne had something to do with that as well.

whythelongface
06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Panos is the obvious choice for Jones.
Grant does my head in too when up forward (does my head in most of the time actually :mad:)

What has panos done to warrant selection? Maybe he can come in to assist Jones, but not as a direct replscement. What we need to find is a foil for Jones so that he doesn't end up having two to three defenders on him week in week out.

bornadog
06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
What has panos done to warrant selection? Maybe he can come in to assist Jones, but not as a direct replscement. What we need to find is a foil for Jones so that he doesn't end up having two to three defenders on him week in week out.

I pretty sure the coach is trying develop Cordy as that player. We keep saying he is a ruckman, but I don't think the coach sees him as just a ruckman.

azabob
06-05-2012, 03:26 PM
This weeks changes will be interesting. Friday night we appeared to have the balance right between big guys and run. I think this also had a lot to do with the midfield pressuring the Collingwood ball carrier which resulted in Cloke and Dawes having to work harder than normal to get into position.

Wood getting injured has really thrown a spanner in the works as he moves well and was able to be the 3rd defender.

Do we bring Grant and or Cordy back, but who is our third defender?

I really think we need to look at who North have playing forward. Roughead or Cordy may be required to play back for most of the game if Goldstien and McIntosh both play.

GVGjr
06-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Panos is a mile off in both fitness and form. I don't see how he could assist at the moment.

Rocco Jones
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Panos is a mile off in both fitness and form. I don't see how he could assist at the moment.

To borrow a gag from South Park Underpants Gnome ep...

Some fans have this plan to solve our forward line issues

Step 1- Play another young, raw tall forward
Step 2-
Step 3- Success

whythelongface
06-05-2012, 06:08 PM
To borrow a gag from South Park Underpants Gnome ep...

Some fans have this plan to solve our forward line issues

Step 1- Play another young, raw tall forward
Step 2-
Step 3- Success

Exactly. That is why we need to persist with Jones and utilise Cordy in the forward line. There are no ready replacements. Panos is obviously not ready as per GVGjr's post.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I disagree with the calls to 'save' Jones. There's a difference between sticking with a player who is making errors (Eg. Wood's disposal) as opposed to Jones who simply isn't doing anything right.

He continually runs under the ball, his ball use on Friday Night was nothing short of disgraceful by both hand and foot, he was out-muscled a few times and generally had no idea when and where to lead. In that first half, he continually kept running to the spot where Roughead already was, thus bringing his opponent (Brown) with him into the contest. This was really frustrating to watch.

Jones is clearly struggling mentally and is trying to overcompensate by trying too hard. He really needs to go back to Williamstown and do the basics of the game well, which he hasn't been doing. Such things as timing his leads, picking the ball up cleanly, disposing of it well and making good decisions.

Nobody is expecting him to take 10 marks and kick 2 goals, but for his own good, he needs a spell. He's been given 6 weeks and Friday Night's performance was the worst of all -- so it's not as though we are 'cutting' him too early.

Not sure why some people think that he can't develop and learn more in the VFL than the AFL in this scenario.

LostDoggy
06-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Once Markovic is back and firing Austin on form is the only player we have that can support Jones on the HF line , Cordy has been used closer to goals and his games in have provided the coaches and Ayce himself the standard required but Cordy is not the answer to support Jones at HF and at the moment neither is Dickson who still needs time , Austin can be switched forward as really we need a player with run and carry rather than an extra tall in defense ( once Markovic is fit )

With Jones and Austin on the half forward line we would have a better structure to support Jones , young Marks role would be to take a tall defender and just provide a contest , he is a strong overhead mark either leading , pack and going back with the flight and is clean with his handballs off the ground , now this of course would move away from Macca's game plan of only two forwards but it would take pressure off Jones , with Liam and Mark on the 50m arc and Gia as a sweeper on the 30m arc and Cooney and DJ in the hole between HF and FF with the rotating ruckman spending time at FF the structure looks more balanced

Ghost Dog
06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Once Markovic is back and firing Austin on form is the only player we have that can support Jones on the HF line , Cordy has been used closer to goals and his games in have provided the coaches and Ayce himself the standard required but Cordy is not the answer to support Jones at HF and at the moment neither is Dickson who still needs time , Austin can be switched forward as really we need a player with run and carry rather than an extra tall in defense ( once Markovic is fit )

With Jones and Austin on the half forward line we would have a better structure to support Jones , young Marks role would be to take a tall defender and just provide a contest , he is a strong overhead mark either leading , pack and going back with the flight and is clean with his handballs off the ground , now this of course would move away from Macca's game plan of only two forwards but it would take pressure off Jones , with Liam and Mark on the 50m arc and Gia as a sweeper on the 30m arc and Cooney and DJ in the hole between HF and FF with the rotating ruckman spending time at FF the structure looks more balanced

West-Dog, what's the issue with Tory D at the moment? Fitness? He can certainly roost a wet footy accurately enough, as seen versus Port Melbourne. He looked ok to me.

Here is North's backline from today's game against West Coast ( who kicked more points than goals! )

NMFC HB Cameron, Pedersen Michael, Firrito Luke Delaney

NMFC FB Shaun ,Atley Scott Thompson, Jamie Macmillan

Well, if they do line up like that, a good game to try Cordy and Jones. MacMillan has only played 19 games. Atley 22. Delaney 12. Pedersen 15. An inexperienced backline with none over 194cm.

North Melbourne's in-form players as follows: Swallow, Cunnington, Ziebell, Thompson, Bastinac, Harvey

bornadog
06-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I disagree with the calls to 'save' Jones. There's a difference between sticking with a player who is making errors (Eg. Wood's disposal) as opposed to Jones who simply isn't doing anything right.

He continually runs under the ball, his ball use on Friday Night was nothing short of disgraceful by both hand and foot, he was out-muscled a few times and generally had no idea when and where to lead. In that first half, he continually kept running to the spot where Roughead already was, thus bringing his opponent (Brown) with him into the contest. This was really frustrating to watch.

Jones is clearly struggling mentally and is trying to overcompensate by trying too hard. He really needs to go back to Williamstown and do the basics of the game well, which he hasn't been doing. Such things as timing his leads, picking the ball up cleanly, disposing of it well and making good decisions.

Nobody is expecting him to take 10 marks and kick 2 goals, but for his own good, he needs a spell. He's been given 6 weeks and Friday Night's performance was the worst of all -- so it's not as though we are 'cutting' him too early.

Not sure why some people think that he can't develop and learn more in the VFL than the AFL in this scenario.

I was calling for Jones to be back in the VFL last year but was criticsed by many on this forum. Maybe in hindsight, if he had of gone back to the VFL last year he would be a better footballer this year.

Ghost Dog
06-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I was calling for Jones to be back in the VFL last year but was criticsed by many on this forum. Maybe in hindsight, if he had of gone back to the VFL last year he would be a better footballer this year.

V North is a perfect game for him to cut his teeth. As noted, he just needs to tweak a few basics. Seemed to work for Easton.

Desipura
06-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Why not play someone like Hill or Campbell who worried North all be it in a NAB cup game.
This would take off a fair bit of pressure off Jones.
It would mean Roughy would have to miss though and I am not sure the MC would be so creative/ambitious with their selections.
Also Roughy went ok as did the team.

LostDoggy
06-05-2012, 10:34 PM
West-Dog, what's the issue with Tory D at the moment? Fitness? He can certainly roost a wet footy accurately enough, as seen versus Port Melbourne. He looked ok to me.

His fitness is fine , he just has a few things to work on before he comes back , he got a couple of games early to show him the standard required , just zoning and positioning to work on what Macca calls the Team things , once he,s back on board he will probably rotate between the midfield and the forward line , as far as support for Jones at HF he just is,nt tall enough to draw the extra tall defender away from Jones

The Pie Man
06-05-2012, 11:14 PM

True - though no Lake vs Melbourne, and Roughead was subbed off at half time vs GWS.

G-Mo77
07-05-2012, 02:02 AM
His fitness is fine , he just has a few things to work on before he comes back , he got a couple of games early to show him the standard required , just zoning and positioning to work on what Macca calls the Team things , once he,s back on board he will probably rotate between the midfield and the forward line , as far as support for Jones at HF he just is,nt tall enough to draw the extra tall defender away from Jones

He's really the only guy that is knocking at the door right now from Willy. Do you think he could be in the mix soon? Absolutely no one stood out apart from him on Saturday.

Austin did play some forward for the Bullants I recall. It's an interesting option and one I thought about once they elevated him. It could be worth a try but would Austin be any different to say someone like Hill getting a call up and playing he and Jones together? I know Hill's yet to play an AFL game but it's not like Austin is a veteran either.

Ghost Dog
07-05-2012, 10:30 AM
He's really the only guy that is knocking at the door right now from Willy. Do you think he could be in the mix soon? Absolutely no one stood out apart from him on Saturday.

Austin did play some forward for the Bullants I recall. It's an interesting option and one I thought about once they elevated him. It could be worth a try but would Austin be any different to say someone like Hill getting a call up and playing he and Jones together? I know Hill's yet to play an AFL game but it's not like Austin is a veteran either.

Clay Smith is one I would be happy to promote.

DragzLS1
07-05-2012, 02:44 PM
When Marko comes in then Austin can go forward..

Play Grant in the backline as he has done ok during teh time he goes back this season.

Would like to see Tutt come in soon aswell.

bornadog
07-05-2012, 03:26 PM
When Marko comes in then Austin can go forward..

Play Grant in the backline as he has done ok during teh time he goes back this season.

Would like to see Tutt come in soon aswell.

Saw a bit of Tutt in the mud and didn't look good at all.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Saw a bit of Tutt in the mud and didn't look good at all.

Yep -- Tutt looks a fair way off it at the moment, but it's understandable, he hasn't had any continuity so far this season.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-05-2012, 04:11 PM

From memory, Jones was dropped early in the season and then came back to play Collingwood at the MCG. He was reasonably solid from that point forward, and it did help that we had Hall for the second half of the season.

This year falls under different circumstances though, because Jones is our #1 forward and he's clearly carrying the mental (and physical) side of it. I think more than anything, he needs a 'refresh' -- a bit of confidence, a break -- and he can get these things playing in the VFL where it's a slower paced brand of footy.

I feel by continually playing Jones at the moment, we're digging him a deeper hole.

Bulldog Revolution
07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I feel by continually playing Jones at the moment, we're digging him a deeper hole.

I often agree with a lot of what you have to say TBB but I dont here

I haven't noticed anything in Liams attitude or application that would lead me to believe we are damaging him. Provided he is getting feedback during the week and working on his kicking I dont see why we wouldn't be playing him. Remember he has only played 6 games under a new coaching setup and is still learning.

If anything in the VFL the ball is not directed to forwards as cleanly and it might be even more difficult for him to find touch or get much useful out of it. To me his application still seems good so Im not sure what we'd get out of it unless we were going to play him at CHB.

I dont see how Liams scenario is too different that Wood, and we saw the way Woods could be turned around quickly

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Agree on Panos who has been disappointing to date. You will find that both Cordy and Grant will return this week. Collingwood was a winnable game on Friday night. In the words of BMcC the pressure we applied for three quarters needs to be sustained to the final siren. Coming off a tough encounter in the West you would expect us to be well in the contest on Sunday against North Melbourne.

LostDoggy
07-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Yep -- Tutt looks a fair way off it at the moment, but it's understandable, he hasn't had any continuity so far this season.

Tutt is injured and out for a month according to twitter. Medial ligament

Rocco Jones
07-05-2012, 10:22 PM

He can't take a trick. We are missing his style at the moment too.

bornadog
07-05-2012, 11:48 PM

Bad luck for him

Murphy'sLore
08-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Sorry guys, shouldn't this thread be amended to Round 7?

Greystache
08-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Sorry guys, shouldn't this thread be amended to Round 7?

Indeed. I'll fix it now.

always right
08-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Bloody hell! This season rapidly becoming a write-off for him. He is going to miss out on another year of development the way he is going.

FrediKanoute
08-05-2012, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't drop Jones. Its not a confidence thing with him at the moment its a learning experience of how to cope and compete with getting the best defender and not having a foil like he did last year.

I think there will come a point in the season where a rest is appropriate, but I would make ita a rest rather than being dropped to Willi.

LongWait
08-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't drop Jones. Its not a confidence thing with him at the moment its a learning experience of how to cope and compete with getting the best defender and not having a foil like he did last year.

I think there will come a point in the season where a rest is appropriate, but I would make ita a rest rather than being dropped to Willi.

Yes! I really hope that the MC see things through your eyes Fredi.

bornadog
08-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Yes! I really hope that the MC see things through your eyes Fredi.

We don't need to drop Jones, we need to support him with proper delivery into the forward line and another big body.

Ozza
08-05-2012, 07:46 PM
B: Vezs; Lake; Murphy
HB: Hargrave; Cordy; Addison
C: Picken; Boyd; Wallis
HF: Higgins; Jones; Cooney
F: Dahlhaus; Grant; Roughead
R: Minson; Griffen; Liberatore
Int: Djerkerra (sub); Cross; Cordy; Gia

Guess that means;

Out: Wood, Austin
In: Cordy, Grant

Only 2 changes I could find seeing as Macca has said Grant and Cordy will be back (if that means back in the seniors)....

bornadog
08-05-2012, 08:04 PM
B: Vezs; Lake; Murphy
HB: Hargrave; Cordy; Addison
C: Picken; Boyd; Wallis
HF: Higgins; Jones; Cooney
F: Dahlhaus; Grant; Roughead
R: Minson; Griffen; Liberatore
Int: Djerkerra (sub); Cross; Cordy; Gia

Guess that means;

Out: Wood, Austin
In: Cordy, Grant

Only 2 changes I could find seeing as Macca has said Grant and Cordy will be back (if that means back in the seniors)....

Do you think he might drop DJ? Didn't play a very good game last week, looked a bit lost to my way of thinking.

Desipura
08-05-2012, 08:04 PM
We don't need to drop Jones, we need to support him with proper delivery into the forward line and another big body.
Whats different this year to last year when you wanted him dropped?

bornadog
08-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Whats different this year to last year when you wanted him dropped?

He is older this year and more mature.

Desipura
08-05-2012, 08:11 PM
He is older this year and more mature. What 15 games more and 12 months older?

bornadog
08-05-2012, 08:20 PM
What 15 games more and 12 months older?

Makes a big difference when you are that young. Are you saying he should be dropped?

Remi Moses
08-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Just a sidenote this game is a replacement home game for the Darwin game.

Desipura
08-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Makes a big difference when you are that young. Are you saying he should be dropped?
No I am not, just like I was not calling for him to be dropped last season. The quicker we get him to the 80-100 games, the better.

LostDoggy
08-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Cordy and Grant to come in. Not sure who goes beside Wood.

G-Mo77
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Is Howie and outside chance to replace Wood?

chef
09-05-2012, 08:56 AM
No, he hasn't played for weeks and isn't of the quality to be a walk up start.

Ozza
09-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Do you think he might drop DJ? Didn't play a very good game last week, looked a bit lost to my way of thinking.

I hope not. I rckon Djerkerra has been pretty good so far this season - certainly improved - and he brings some good defensive attributes.

SlimPickens
10-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Outs: Wood, Jones and DJ all injured

Ins: Grant, Cordy, Smith, Roberts, Dickson and Pearce (25 player squad)

divvydan
10-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Official Team:

Western Bulldogs
B: Robert Murphy, Brian Lake, Ryan Hargrave
HB: Daniel Cross, Mark Austin, Dylan Addison
C: Liam Picken, Matthew Boyd, Shaun Higgins
HF: Adam Cooney, Jordan Roughead, Patrick Veszpremi
F: Thomas Liberatore, Ayce Cordy, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: William Minson, Ryan Griffen, Luke Dahlhaus
I/C: Jarrad Grant, Justin Sherman, Mitchell Wallis, Clay Smith, Fletcher Roberts, Daniel Pearce, Tory Dickson

In: Jarrad Grant, Clay Smith, Fletcher Roberts, Daniel Pearce, Tory Dickson, Ayce Cordy
Out: Easton Wood (Hamstring), Liam Jones (Back), Nathan Djerrkura (Hip)

New: Fletcher Roberts (), Daniel Pearce ()

LostDoggy
10-05-2012, 07:51 PM
I knew that this week would a hard one to forecast

Out of the team listed I,m expecting Veszpremi to go to HB , Cross to midfield , Dickson to HF and bench to be Grant Sherman Higgins and Wallis the Sub

azabob
10-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I knew that this week would a hard one to forecast

Out of the team listed I,m expecting Veszpremi to go to HB , Cross to midfield , Dickson to HF and bench to be Grant Sherman Higgins and Wallis the Sub

Why do you have Dickson ahead of Wallis?

LostDoggy
10-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Why do you have Dickson ahead of Wallis?

Really I,d prefer Higgins to be the Sub but I,m expecting Wallis to be the Sub , we need Dickson to man the 50m arc with Jones out

I,m not sure what the Roos have planned for Cameron Pedersen but they could use him off the bench as a forward/ back rotation to disrupt matchups he's a big unit
If Goldstein spends time forward Roughead will most likely be used back to man up on him , Lake to Petrie , Austin to Edwards

jeemak
10-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Really I,d prefer Higgins to be the Sub but I,m expecting Wallis to be the Sub , we need Dickson to man the 50m arc with Jones out

I,m not sure what the Roos have planned for Cameron Pedersen but they could use him off the bench as a forward/ back rotation to disrupt matchups he's a big unit
If Goldstein spends time forward Roughead will most likely be used back to man up on him , Lake to Petrie , Austin to Edwards

Out of curiosity why would you want Higgins to be the sub? Not having a go, though I need to understand why you'd think Dickson is a more viable option to shoulder the load in the forward 50 than Higgins? Personally I think Higgins has been one of the more consistent forwards for us so far. I was also a little underwhealmed by some of Dicksons work levels over the first couple of rounds.

As Wallis was the sub last week I think for his development he needs to start in the 21, and preferably not get subbed out.

We'll need Grant to provide a target deep forward in lieu of Cordy's inexperience as well, so he should also start in the 21.

For mine, either Smith or Dickson are the best candidates for the sub. Dickson strikes me as an impact player due to his body shape and what I expect to be a lack of fitness due to his preparation for league football over the last 12 months (no fault of his, though). Smith has also had issues in running out a full game at this level. They would be the likely subs to me.

Good to see Pearce and Roberts named. I'd be a little surprised if either of them debuted, though would be happy to see another Pup get their chance so early in the season.

LostDoggy
10-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Jeemak , how the cards finally fall will be interesting , it just depends on matchups , as I said earlier Cameron Pedersen is a factor , if Roughead has to drop back as a defender then Minson and Cordy will ruck and rotate through the forward line , as the game plan only uses two forwards and with Jones out Dickson is a better fit on the 50m arc , now if Cordy is only rotating through the forward line that leaves Gia and one other as the forwards , Grant is more likely to be used as one of the midfield/ forward rotations and I,m happy with that , having Dickson on the 50m arc and Gia as the sweeper on the 30m arc is probably the best structure

For Higgins, being used as the Sub earlier gave him a shot in the arm and he has been more solid since and against North I can again see him making an impact as the Sub but for this game I think he going to be used as the matchup for Kieran Harper

As much as I want young Mitch to get more game time I,m expecting him to be the Sub , most likely Dickson will Sub off early in the 3rd

jeemak
11-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Jeemak , how the cards finally fall will be interesting , it just depends on matchups , as I said earlier Cameron Pedersen is a factor , if Roughead has to drop back as a defender then Minson and Cordy will ruck and rotate through the forward line , as the game plan only uses two forwards and with Jones out Dickson is a better fit on the 50m arc , now if Cordy is only rotating through the forward line that leaves Gia and one other as the forwards , Grant is more likely to be used as one of the midfield/ forward rotations and I,m happy with that , having Dickson on the 50m arc and Gia as the sweeper on the 30m arc is probably the best structure

For Higgins, being used as the Sub earlier gave him a shot in the arm and he has been more solid since and against North I can again see him making an impact as the Sub but for this game I think he going to be used as the matchup for Kieran Harper

As much as I want young Mitch to get more game time I,m expecting him to be the Sub , most likely Dickson will Sub off early in the 3rd

Thanks for the response. I haven't seen a lot of North to be honest, though I appreciate what you're putting forward with respect to their use of Pederson.

I still get a little stuck though, on your faith in Dickson as being a better option to create opportunities up forward than Higgins. I watched the Port versus Willy game on the box Saturday, and thought Dickson battled well and tried harder than most of his team mates to create. He was rewarded with three goals, and his finishing in the wet from sets shots was excellent however, it's a significant step up from the lower level and I'm really not confident he has the experience to take on the responsibility of leading an undermanned forward six. I don't doubt that he's a clever footballer, and in time he might be ready to take on that responsibility but for now, I'm worried that he'll blow up fairly quickly in a high intensity environment.

I'm hopeful that our coaching panel will provide Grant with an opportunity to play a deeper role in the forward line rather than having him work up the ground. With McCartney's structure leaving us fairly barron in the forward line numbers wise for most of the time when we're not in possession I think we need Grant as an option to duck behind the defense and use his pace to find some room. He and Gia strike me as the most likely to cause North trouble in this area with their pace and smarts respectively.

I don't agree that Higgins will have a greater impact on the forward line as the sub. Although he may have received a slight reality check in being nominated as the sub early on, I feel he is working his way towards a consistent contribution as a forward that can help out through the midfield. With North's developing midfield unit I think we'll benefit from having more diverse options moving through that area, so leaving Dickson as the sub and starting with all of Smith, Wallis and Higgins in the side will provide us with them.

I'd play Cordy fairly high, and give him a mandate of nullifying the high ball and creating a contest across half forward. We need to be reaslistic with his ability to take more than one or two marks across half forward, so an honest effort from him will at least give guys like Cooney, Dahlhaus and Veszpremi (if he in fact lines up at HF) the chance to win the ball in an even contest.

Mantis
11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
I really can't see how we play Dickson. A forward line containing Gia, Higgins and Dickson doesn't fill me with much hope and has me thinking that the ball will trampoline out pretty quickly.

Ghost Dog
11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I really can't see how we play Dickson. A forward line containing Gia, Higgins and Dickson doesn't fill me with much hope and has me thinking that the ball will trampoline out pretty quickly.

With you there. I think this selection might be a bit of the coach still trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Go_Dogs
12-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Well, Pedersen is out for North.

Our final I/C is: Grant, Sherman, Wallis and Dickson. My guess, Dickson to play as sub.

GVGjr
12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Well, Pedersen is out for North.

Our final I/C is: Grant, Sherman, Wallis and Dickson. My guess, Dickson to play as sub.

Any chance it's Sherman?

azabob
12-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Any chance it's Sherman?

With Djerrkura and Wood out injured I think we need Sherman's speed to play the full game.

Why do you think Sherman should be the sub?

Go_Dogs
12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Any chance it's Sherman?

Anything is possible - Dickson was just my preference. I think Sherman has been pretty good the last few weeks so not sure what benefit we'd get going in with him as sub. You're thinking we might go with Sherman?

Ghost Dog
12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
On the team video, Liberatore is listed in the forward line

Hotdog60
12-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Any chance it's Sherman?
Is that because of last weeks game and the question over his commitment in the O'Brien goal?

AndrewP6
12-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I think Dicko will be sub, I agree we need Shermo's run for the full game.

1eyedog
12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I would be astounded if Sherman is not in the starting 21, he is too important in those momentum swings when we are on the attack and moving the ball at speed. He's going okay but still lacking confidence and needs to find the balance between team ethos and taking the game on. I think the team ethos has been drummed into him since Macca came on board and he's stuck somewhere in the middle of the two.

bornadog
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
I would be astounded if Sherman is not in the starting 21, he is too important in those momentum swings when we are on the attack and moving the ball at speed. He's going okay but still lacking confidence and needs to find the balance between team ethos and taking the game on. I think the team ethos has been drummed into him since Macca came on board and he's stuck somewhere in the middle of the two.

His contested footy has really shot up compared to last year which means his style of game has changed. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I would be astounded if Sherman is not in the starting 21

Me too.

I believe a lot of fans are too clever by half when thinking about the sub role. Yes being an explosive type suits the role but I believe you should be automatically excluded if you aren't in the 18th-22nd picked bracket for the week. For mine, Sherman is in our top dozen or so (says more about us than him).

Rocco Jones
12-05-2012, 01:07 PM
On Sherman, I think his start to the season has been underrated. People naturally take in things that validate a pre-conceived belief and filter out stuff that go against it. I really rate Sherms start to the season, especially after a disrupted pre-season.

LostDoggy
12-05-2012, 01:12 PM
On Sherman, I think his start to the season has been underrated. People naturally take in things that validate a pre-conceived belief and filter out stuff that go against it. I really rate Sherms start to the season, especially after a disrupted pre-season.

He is in our best 18 but I haven't seen anything special from him this season.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Me neither really. I think he has been less burst like and more consistently involved. Also, I don't believe it's hard to get into our top half dozen.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Sherman has been consistently good this year, and I am a little tired of reading the constant digs at him. That, or the backhanded compliments.

He's got more talent than most of our list and has been a lot more team orientated thus far.

Sherman would get a gig in MOST sides starting 18. In fact, I'd almost say every, when you consider a player like Hill is in West Coast's side.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Missed his goal v Melbourne?

Seriously -- what do people expect from Sherman? To win the ball at half back and end up running the length of the ground to slot a goal?

He's condemned on this forum.

Mantis
12-05-2012, 07:03 PM

Which other best 18 players have you seen something special from?

LostDoggy
12-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Which other best 18 players have you seen something special from?

Fair enough.

LostDoggy
12-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Sherman has been consistently good this year, and I am a little tired of reading the constant digs at him. That, or the backhanded compliments.

He's got more talent than most of our list and has been a lot more team orientated thus far.

Sherman would get a gig in MOST sides starting 18. In fact, I'd almost say every, when you consider a player like Hill is in West Coast's side.

He has always been a goal kicker, I expect consistency and less injury given the high price we paid him.
3 games this year have been ok.

Not sure where I bagged him? I just said nothing has really changed.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 12:55 AM
He has always been a goal kicker, I expect consistency and less injury given the high price we paid him.
3 games this year have been ok.

Not sure where I bagged him? I just said nothing has really changed.

I think he has been consistent in his three games this year, 21, 24, and 24 disposals, and around 8/9 are contested, plus laid 3 or 4 tackles each game.

1eyedog
13-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Yes this indicates greater commitment which is pleasing but he has also made a greater effort to get to the contest even if he doesn't get the ball. His body language has also been positive