PDA

View Full Version : Effort! - Positive!!!

Rance Fan
04-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Well it often seems too easy to be disappointed or negative after some matches but...
on tonights performance, Ive gotta start up a positive thread!
Ok we lost but we seemingly gave it our all.
The effort was enormous.

I tell my kids that whatever they do and no matter the result, all i care is they try their best.

Congrats to the Bulldogs tonight I think we tried our best!
Keep it up and the wins will come!
:)

Ghost Dog
04-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Well it often seems too easy to be disappointed or negative after some matches but...
The effort was enormous.

I tell my kids that whatever they do and no matter the result, all i care is they try their best.

A shameless, unabashed, indulgent, positive thread: I love it!

It comes down to the new coach for me. He has a steely resolve and a way with people. When I hear him talk, the things he says you can apply to many aspects of life. He certainly knows how to get the best out of his players.

Eastdog
05-05-2012, 12:01 AM
The effort was enormous.

Like what your saying Rance Fan. The effort was there tonight and we did not give up. Yes it's a loss but we are definitely not the worst team. We will be very competitive.

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 12:04 AM
We just kept at them. I liked it for the most part.

EasternWest
05-05-2012, 12:05 AM
I just think Collingwood were fresher and it showed down the stretch. I don't believe they're the same team they were, but they are still a good team and our side gutsed it out.
I hate honourable losses, but that's what the game was. Plenty of spirit shown, I hope we can carry it forward and build on it.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Leigh Matthews says we are bottom three. I don't believe this.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-05-2012, 12:07 AM

No he said we were bottom 3rd. Meaning in the bottom 6.
I believe this.

Rance Fan
05-05-2012, 12:10 AM

We likely around 9th -13th i hope.
Hope to be at least ahead of
Port, Tigers, Demons, GWS, GC, Lions
Come the end of the year.

Hope we beat Carlton again this year hehe

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 12:11 AM
I believe this.

Fair enough.
I hope we become like the Swans. A team that nobody can ever rule out of the race.

Now..this is the positive thread, so 7th from the bottom I reckon!

Remi Moses
05-05-2012, 12:13 AM
I believe this.

Agree, he said bottom third .
Reckon that's where we'll end up

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Another game where bits and pieces start falling into place , solid passages of play where Macca's game plan was very obvious and other passages of play where players went back to bad habits , once everything sorts itself out and we get some more consistency a lot of sides are going to struggle with our pressure and work rate at the contest

http://wrentham.k12.ma.us/C10/Ms%20Fuller/Image%20Library/animated%20smile%20thumbs%20up.gif

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 12:30 AM

Ditto RF.
I constantly tell my kids straight.
"you might not be the quickest, you might not be the best kick or the most skillfull etc. etc. but by god you can be the hardest worker and that will make you the best" Thats why players like Picken & LD are my fav' they don't stop chasing, diving in, tackling.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2012, 12:37 AM

Agree. 100%. This is worth a watch http://www.ted.com/talks/john_wooden_on_the_difference_between_winning_and_success.ht ml

bornadog
05-05-2012, 12:42 AM
What did Terry say again:D

Ghost Dog
05-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Isn't it funny? Last week I was gutted, despite a win. Today, I feel really encouraged, despite a loss.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm most boyant about our midfield prospects over the next four years.

Libba
Sherman
Wallis
Griff
Dahl
Smith
Picken
DJ
Cooney
Higgins (strange one to mention maybe, though he's a midfielder playing forward due to needs, IMO he's a go to transition player, a bit like how centremen used to play)

Throughout the game I couldn't help but think how well placed we were to endure the loss of two excellent contributors to the midfield in Cross and Boyd. By the looks of things we've nailed that section of the ground so far, and if we can top it off with one or two genuinely skilled quick draftees, and see Tutt come along once he's back to fitness and realises some continuity then we'll be laughing.

It's a positive thread, so I'll leave the bookends out of the discussion for now! Though, all isn't lost in that respect, just for now.

ledge
05-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Libba, Wallis and Dahlhaus are exceptional for their age, they are what we will build around,they will, be the clean disposal players we are searching for, with Clay as the real hard nut I can see us flying as early as next year once we grasp the game plan of Macca.
I also believe we have a coach the players believe in which is of course important.

SonofScray
05-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Enjoyed the game, hated the result.

The 'animals' Mac promised showed up. It was a hot footy all night.

immortalmike
05-05-2012, 02:08 PM
In before someone rants about "honourable losses", "spewing up" or "accepting mediocrity". The truth is we are young, inexperienced and have alot of holes in our list. But despite all that we took it right up to a slightly undermanned Collingwood and almost won. I'm happy with that

The Underdog
05-05-2012, 02:31 PM
I just think Collingwood were fresher and it showed down the stretch. I don't believe they're the same team they were, but they are still a good team and our side gutsed it out.
I hate honourable losses, but that's what the game was. Plenty of spirit shown, I hope we can carry it forward and build on it.

The Ch. 7 commentators couldn't stop mentioning Collingwood's 9 day break when they started slowly. Nobody brought up that we've had 2 x 6 day breaks with a trip to Canberra versus them being fresher off a 9 day break, when they finished over the top of us .
I was rapt with the effort but could see the game ending the way it did a fair way out. Thought the pressure we brought for most of it was brilliant and that the final scoreline flattered the Pies.

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 02:44 PM
In before someone rants about "honourable losses", "spewing up" or "accepting mediocrity". The truth is we are young, inexperienced and have alot of holes in our list. But despite all that we took it right up to a slightly undermanned Collingwood and almost won. I'm happy with that

There are 3 new positive spin threads despite losing. Not sure why it's being painted as good.
Words like 'almost' and excuses like young/inexperienced are just as bad as ones you mentioned.

F'scary
05-05-2012, 03:07 PM
There are 3 new positive spin threads despite losing. Not sure why it's being painted as good.
Words like 'almost' and excuses like young/inexperienced are just as bad as ones you mentioned.

cheers Chops

Just the improvement in form was enough for me at this stage. No, I don't like being satisfied with honourable losses but they showed something last night that hasn't been there except for the Adelaide match in round 2.

bornadog
05-05-2012, 03:10 PM

Collingwood were younger than we were last night.

Remi Moses
05-05-2012, 04:46 PM
We're happy with the effort but as pointed out by the coach it's not acceptable to lose.
Heard him on the ABC and he wasn't happy with fans clapping the players off. Very impressive interview,said some players had to be taught not to run forward of the ball.Reckon if you don't adopt "Team" as a player you're Gonski!

immortalmike
05-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Not an excuse when it is the truth... We have a fairly young and inexperienced team and our list/team is full of holes and we did take it up to the Pies. Good effort but bad result I can take that rather than bad effort and good result like the previous two weeks.

Eastdog
05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Not an excuse when it is the truth... We have a fairly young and inexperienced team and our list/team is full of holes and we did take it up to the Pies. Good effort but bad result I can take that rather than bad effort and good result like the previous two weeks.

I think we have players in our team that are nearing the ends of their careers and players who are at the start of there careers. Thats where we are at this stage in rebuilding the side once again.

LostDoggy
09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Whilst it was a good effort I was disappointed with the inaccurate kicking, especially in the first quarter. We should have had them on the ropes early & quite possibly end up winning the game. I don't know, maybe it's having to hear that stupid Collingwood chant that made me angry.

DragzLS1
09-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Whilst it was a good effort I was disappointed with the inaccurate kicking, especially in the first quarter. We should have had them on the ropes early & quite possibly end up winning the game. I don't know, maybe it's having to hear that stupid Collingwood chant that made me angry.

That chant made me angry aswell!!

This game should be ringing alarm bells for collingwood!

We had 11 players with less then 50 games inexperience. They had less then that even though they techniqually had a younger list, they had more games under there belt.

Cross, Boyd, Murphy and Gia would be atleast 3 years older then any of there players :p

Bulldog4life
09-05-2012, 02:18 PM
We likely around 9th -13th i hope.
Hope to be at least ahead of
Port, Tigers, Demons, GWS, GC, Lions
Come the end of the year.

Hope we beat Carlton again this year hehe

When it comes to the draft maybe you wish we weren't above all those teams.:)

DragzLS1
09-05-2012, 06:07 PM
When it comes to the draft maybe you wish we weren't above all those teams.:)

Maybe play a few of the younger guys in teh last few rounds ;) haha

Honestly as long as we get stuck in and beat a few bigger teams like carlton or essendon that may take us lightly then I would be happy.. and finishing 5th last would not be the end of the world but cant even see that happening see us finishing a little higher then everybody has anticipated.