PDA

View Full Version : Take a bow Easton Wood

always right
05-05-2012, 12:23 AM
He's copped a bagging from all and sundry on this board.....with some justification. Tonight however he was absolutely awesome....clearly his best game for the club.

Was a major turning point in the game when he went off injured...he was absolutely flying. Let's hope this launches the rest of his career at the dogs.

EasternWest
05-05-2012, 12:28 AM
He's copped a bagging from [/B]all and sundry [/B]on this board.....with some justification.

Hey I resent that. You're not always right.

The biggest thing I took from what I got to see of his game tonight was that he played with real confidence in himself. Took a few cracking marks too.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2012, 12:29 AM
What a game tonight. Played like a bona fide star until he went off injured.

He needs to bring that every week.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-05-2012, 12:29 AM
He's copped a bagging from all and sundry on this board.....with some justification. Tonight however he was absolutely awesome....clearly his best game for the club.

Was a major turning point in the game when he went off injured...he was absolutely flying. Let's hope this launches the rest of his career at the dogs.

It was a very influential performance from Wood. Really gutted for him to get injured. I really hope it's only a twinge of the hammy and he hasn't Pinged it good and proper.
The agility, mobility,defensive positioning and use of the ball he exhibited tonight is exactly what we need more of as a side.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2012, 12:34 AM
He was pretty incredible prior to injury and this is why he had quite a few fans prior to his bad stretch of form this year. He has great potential, it's a damn shame he got injured because he needs to build on performances like this.

Eastdog
05-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Great game from Wood tonight after he was heavily criticised. Lets hope this is the start of some great form for Wood. Shame that he got injured but hope it is minor.

w3design
05-05-2012, 12:50 AM
3-4 weeks apparently. Shit.

That goal and the mark he took in the backline both had me on my feet.

Remi Moses
05-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Are we ever going to get our back 6 on the park at the same time??:(

bornadog
05-05-2012, 01:02 AM
I was one calling for him to be dropped but tonight he was fantastic. Shame he has been injured

G-Mo77
05-05-2012, 01:18 AM
That's the Wood we've been wanting to see all season. Now he's injured. Losing him was a real cruel blow tonight.

boydogs
05-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Thought Gia bounced back really well as well. A lot more hands on deck tonight which showed in the result.

jeemak
05-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Thought Gia bounced back really well as well. A lot more hands on deck tonight which showed in the result.

He really did battle hard to get himself in the game in the second half.

I got to the game late tonight, and ended up going solo. Spent the second quarter trying to find the right spot behind level 1 seating as the third level seat I had was amongst genuine buffoons. I fear I missed some of his impact before he got injured, but once I found a spot in the second half I was impressed on how he went about it.

Greystache
05-05-2012, 02:36 AM

He was moving a lot better than the Melbourne game. He made the most of his chances, and in a team that struggles to kick goals 3 is a good return.

On topic, Wood was outstanding tonight, it's such a shame he's not going to get any continuity for a few weeks now.

boydogs
05-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Wood was outstanding tonight, it's such a shame he's not going to get any continuity for a few weeks now.

Not just him but the backline as well. It was almost starting to take shape, with Murphy, Hargrave and Lake doing well and Wood stepping up to join them. The importance of having a stable defensive group is underrated.

comrade
05-05-2012, 03:10 AM

I don't want to hijack this thread but it was more of the same from Gia, IMO.

Zero defensive pressure, no tackles and only 11 touches. Yeah, he kicked 3 goals but 1 was a cherry picked gimme and another from a free kick. He's not mobile enough to impact enough contests and team's have well and truly worked out his one trick of nudging his opposition under the ball.

Due to his lack of pace, he goes to ground in contests way too easily.

He'll keep getting picked but his effectiveness at the highest level lowers by the week.

DragzLS1
05-05-2012, 03:25 AM
Loved woods game very good. Have to wait another 4 weeks now :(

Gia is a smart player and his experience is needed up forward

Who will step in for wood now?

jeemak
05-05-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread but it was more of the same from Gia, IMO.

Zero defensive pressure, no tackles and only 11 touches. Yeah, he kicked 3 goals but 1 was a cherry picked gimme and another from a free kick. He's not mobile enough to impact enough contests and team's have well and truly worked out his one trick of nudging his opposition under the ball.

Due to his lack of pace, he goes to ground in contests way too easily.

He'll keep getting picked but his effectiveness at the highest level lowers by the week.

If Griffen had have kicked a drop punt to him rather than a snap around the corner that ended up rolling in towards goal which Gia had to run on to would that have been cherry picking? Hopefully you don't think it's only dumb luck that Gia finds himself in open space more than other players, because if you do you underrate the ability of AFL defenders, and Gia's exceptional play reading ability.

The free kicks Gia got were there, and he got them because he is so good at positioning his body. He commands a good defender each week, and if you put a tall or a quick on him that doesn't have defenisve skill he'll kick four goals.

Having said all that, I think he's struggling physically and he's also struggling due to our poor structure and our poor delivery. Even when he has a quiet game he normally manages a few tackles, and irrespective of what you think about his second effort skills and pressure skills he normally chokes the opposition a little. I'm fairly confident there are some body issues that are holding him back right now.

Hotdog60
05-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Gia could have earn another shot at goal when the umpires missed him getting his head ram into his chest.

But anyway Wood was sensational last night and it looks like the curse we have with players is continuing, Wood's run and carry plus the contested procession was a highlight and took some heat off Murphy. With that duo on form and Lake showing some confidence we look very good down back.

westdog54
05-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Some of his decision making and disposal looked a little rushed and panicked at times, but when you're rebounding at full pace and breaking the game open as he did last night you buy yourself that extra second or two to get out of trouble. Seems to know only one pace and one direction, flat out and forward.

Couldn't be happier with how he played and its shattering that he got injured when he was hitting form.

LostDoggy
05-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Right from the first run and carry I thought the coach has got in Easton's ear and said " Take the game on Son " , he really is a clear example of a player who is unsure of how fast and how strong they are till they commit themselves , till he did his hammy he played like O'Brian would play if O'Brian was playing like O'Brian except he was playing like Wood would play if he wasn,t playing like Wood - you know it makes sense

If Tutt has some match fitness back he could in line to come in for Wood

chef
05-05-2012, 09:44 AM
I was one calling for him to be dropped but tonight he was fantastic. Shame he has been injured

Same here. Well done Easton.

Sockeye Salmon
05-05-2012, 01:27 PM
If Griffen had have kicked a drop punt to him rather than a snap around the corner that ended up rolling in towards goal which Gia had to run on to would that have been cherry picking? Hopefully you don't think it's only dumb luck that Gia finds himself in open space more than other players, because if you do you underrate the ability of AFL defenders, and Gia's exceptional play reading ability.

The free kicks Gia got were there, and he got them because he is so good at positioning his body. He commands a good defender each week, and if you put a tall or a quick on him that doesn't have defenisve skill he'll kick four goals.

Having said all that, I think he's struggling physically and he's also struggling due to our poor structure and our poor delivery. Even when he has a quiet game he normally manages a few tackles, and irrespective of what you think about his second effort skills and pressure skills he normally chokes the opposition a little. I'm fairly confident there are some body issues that are holding him back right now.

Gia would have had a fourth goal that was advantage and Higgins kicked it.

SonofScray
05-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Loved his long goal. We need more of that, especially with our forward line not really getting a lot done.

bornadog
05-05-2012, 03:22 PM

Should have had another free in front of goal in the third quarter. Gia had his head down trying to pick up the ball and was hit head on but the umpire didn't see it.

LostDoggy
09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
I thought the momentum of the game changed when Woody went off injured. Hope he has a quick, successful recovery.

Raw Toast
09-05-2012, 11:14 PM

But creating four goals (with that v frustrating other clear free which was missed) is hardly a notable achievement in such a high-scoring game against such a notably porous defense :o

By the way, young Minson did v nicely to rob Gia of that one opportunity.