PDA

View Full Version : I'll play elsewhere, says Gilbee

G-Mo77
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/1_TR250112LC%2014%20copy.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Lindsay Gilbee will consider continuing his AFL career elsewhere if the Bulldogs don't offer him a new contract.

Gilbee, who will be out of contract at season's end, has told AFL.com.au's Access All Areas he would be willing to join another club to take his career into a 13th season because he feels there is still a lot of football left in him.

"I think any player would look at it," Gilbee said when asked whether he would consider moving to another club.

"Have a look at Lukey Power: he was probably on the outer at Brisbane and he's playing well now at GWS."

The defender, who will turn 31 in July, also revealed he expects to return mid-season from a medial ligament injury to his knee. He doesn't believe his body will prevent him from playing into 2013 and beyond.

"Our surgeon, David Young, said I've got the best knees he's ever seen in all of his [time in] footy, which is a bit surprising because I'm a bit knobby-kneed," he said.

"I believe I can keep going. They'll have to push me out."

However, Gilbee said he wouldn’t be angry if the Bulldogs chose not to re-sign him.

"I'm a big believer [that] the clubs don’t owe you anything when you finish," he said.

"It's been a privilege to play for my footy club for so long and we get paid well … so I'm not one of those players who would be upset at the end of the year if the club was to say, 'Listen, let's part ways.'

"I'm open to that [but] I'd love to keep playing."

Gilbee has played 202 AFL games and, in his prime, was a key member of Bulldogs sides that played regular finals football.

He is a half-back flanker with a dangerous weapon: a right foot that can launch the ball with precision over any distance up to 60m. Such kicking skills would be welcome in the current Bulldogs line-up, which has been criticised for its lack of foot skills.

However, even before Gilbee injured his knee in the VFL, his spot on the list for 2013 appeared in jeopardy following the full-time return of Ryan Hargrave after an injury-plagued 2011 and the development of younger teammates like Easton Wood, Dylan Addison and Christian Howard.

After finishing last season in the VFL, Gilbee started the pre-season in great shape, matching the times he ran in his mid-20s. But then he missed eight weeks with a calf injury.

An All Australian in 2006, Gilbee also finished third in the Dogs' best and fairest in 2005.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/135126/default.aspx

comrade
07-05-2012, 05:31 PM
It'll be weird watching him play in other colours next year (if he gets picked up).

Good luck to him, he's been a very good player for us over the years.

Greystache
07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
He's kidding isn't he?

He's struggled to get a kick for 3 years, only someone who hasn't seen him play recently would be looking to pick him up... Maybe we can trade him to Richmond for a first round draft pick!

DragzLS1
07-05-2012, 05:36 PM
wouldnt mind his services in this point in time with that right foot of his ;)

I think that was an indication to GWS or Gold Coast to send him an offer he cant refuse :p

comrade
07-05-2012, 05:37 PM
He's kidding isn't he?

He's struggled to get a kick for 3 years, only someone who hasn't seen him play recently would be looking to pick him up... Maybe we can trade him to Richmond for a first round draft pick!

Maybe he's trying to lull Fanta into offering him one of those juicy multi year deals that Crossy and Gia got?

SlimPickens
07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Strange to come out with this so early. Suggest he may have already been told he won't be getting many opportunities this year.

Don't see him as part of our best 22 but good luck to him. Maybe an expansion club for a year Lindsay?

SlimPickens
07-05-2012, 05:40 PM
He's kidding isn't he?

Not known for his smarts!

chef
07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
That was weird.

Guess you've got half a season to convince Macca(Jason) you are worthy of a spot on the list in 2013.

soupman
07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
To be fair the headline seems to be way out of context.

Reading the article he says

"I think any player would look at it," Gilbee said when asked whether he would consider moving to another club
which along with the Luke Power bit are the only actual indication that he has mentioned it.

I'm pretty sure the line of questioning went along as follows:

"Do you think you could play a 13th year in the AFL"
"Yes"
"And what if the bulldogs weren't willing to offer you a new contract, would you be willing to accept a contract offer from another club?"
"I think any player would look at it"

And really everything he says is correct.

Remi Moses
07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Find this very odd. Think he may have been told

boydogs
07-05-2012, 07:06 PM
I think it's good he is determined to keep going, at this point he could have had one eye on retirement but he will be desperate to get back and prove himself now.

Hotdog60
07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
If he can make it back to some sort of form I would like to try him at the half forward flank.

He would handy if he could get a bit of space and pin point passes, he maybe past his prime but a defender would have to watch him.

AndrewP6
07-05-2012, 07:43 PM
To be fair the headline seems to be way out of context.

Reading the article he says

which along with the Luke Power bit are the only actual indication that he has mentioned it.

I'm pretty sure the line of questioning went along as follows:

"Do you think you could play a 13th year in the AFL"
"Yes"
"And what if the bulldogs weren't willing to offer you a new contract, would you be willing to accept a contract offer from another club?"
"I think any player would look at it"

And really everything he says is correct.

Agree, bit of a non-story IMO.

Desipura
07-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Hey Lindsay, how about concentrating on getting fit and getting a game (something you have been unable to do consistently for a few seasons) before you start talking about next season.
That said loved watching him as a player when in full flight.

1eyedog
07-05-2012, 10:08 PM
He's kidding isn't he?

Coldstream are going to be right pissed off over this article.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2012, 11:50 PM
coldstream are going to be right pissed off over this article.
:) :)

LostDoggy
08-05-2012, 08:52 AM
If he can make it back to some sort of form I would like to try him at the half forward flank.

He would handy if he could get a bit of space and pin point passes, he maybe past his prime but a defender would have to watch him.

This ^^:)

Ghost Dog
08-05-2012, 10:04 AM
This ^^:)

Would he be any better / worse than ShaunHiggins?

KT31
08-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Would he be any better / worse than ShaunHiggins?

At least Higgins is getting on the ground.

Don't think Gilbee has said nor done anything wrong, as indicated by previous posters he has just answered a series of questions.

Given the Doggies great service, but are at a stage of rebuilding and can't see him being on our list next year or for that matter any other sides.

G-Mo77
08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
There is an actual video of the interview unfortunately it's not on the link you'll have to look it up in the video section.

I don't know why Gilbee's being attacked by posters he was asked about his injury and how far away he is from playing, asked about his contract and he said it's his last, asked if he wants to keep playing even if at another club and said he would. Nothing wrong with that is there?

I think he could be an asset this season considering how poor we use the ball by foot.

It's actually a pretty good interview/segment. They go over the game on Friday night and have some funny stories about Gilbee at the end.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
At least Higgins is getting on the ground.

Don't think Gilbee has said nor done anything wrong, as indicated by previous posters he has just answered a series of questions.

Given the Doggies great service, but are at a stage of rebuilding and can't see him being on our list next year or for that matter any other sides.

It's a tough game and a long season. Good to have him around. Wish his foot skills would rub off on a few others.

ratsmac
08-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I think the Hillside Sharks are looking for players Gilb :D:D

All jokes aside, the Gilbee of old would be a welcome addition to our side, but it would be at the expense of a developing young player, so thanks but no thanks. I loved Gilbee in his day but we haven't seen anything close to his best bar one freakish game against the Tigers last year.

jeemak
09-05-2012, 02:13 AM
Good on him.

Players like Gilbee are always the forgotten men throughout a rebuild. They could improve the performance of the side in specific roles when fit, though they are clearly not part of the future.

Sure he's probably just answering questions asked of him, and has been made the subject of editorial preferences however, he's showed some confidence in his ability and put himself forward for another crack.

Stewie Dew was a fat arse only a couple of months before being drafted by the Hawks. By the time he played in the GF 2008 he was still in the fat arse classification, and even after an early season hamstring injury he was able to contribute to a premiership.

Gilbee shouldn't just narrow his sights towards a development side, he should get himself fit and either push his cause for playing for the Bulldogs next year, or look to playing for a side that is in contention and needs a top up of skillful players for a tilt at the flag.

Good luck to him, I say.

ledge
09-05-2012, 08:45 AM
I think the Hillside Sharks are looking for players Gilb :D:D

All jokes aside, the Gilbee of old would be a welcome addition to our side, but it would be at the expense of a developing young player, so thanks but no thanks. I loved Gilbee in his day but we haven't seen anything close to his best bar one freakish game against the Tigers last year.

Thet just got Kouta down there, do you have something to do with that club?
I was playing at that cricket club for 5 years on the committee and vice president for a year.

Gilbee has had injury problems maybe his body has given way, if fit he is still of value, especially after losing Harbrow and now Wood.

LostDoggy
09-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Least he's not being a dickhead about it and is handling it like a man . Good luck to him whichever way it turns out . Was always a nice guy if not the sharpest tool in the shed.

MrMahatma
09-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Easy to forget how many very good players from a couple years back aren't running out for us this weekend.

boydogs
09-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Stewie Dew was a fat arse only a couple of months before being drafted by the Hawks.

Strange analogy. I would have thought someone like Ben Hudson or Cameron Bruce was a better reference point.

Hotdog60
03-06-2012, 11:38 PM
With Gilbee getting back from injury if he could get into some reasonable form could we use him as a link up man. Play him on the wing or high half forward, if his kicking skills are still there could he give us better entry into our forward line.

Or is he too far past his use by date.

GVGjr
03-06-2012, 11:44 PM
With Gilbee getting back from injury if he could get into some reasonable form could we use him as a link up man. Play him on the wing or high half forward, if his kicking skills are still there could he give us better entry into our forward line.

Or is he too far past his use by date.

he should play a couple of games late in the year as part of a send off but in my opinion we shouldn't be planning too much around bringing him back into the seniors.