PDA

View Full Version : McCartney’s forward ambitions

bornadog
08-05-2012, 08:15 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/135271/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/art-353-svDOGSCOACH-200x0.jpg

Western Bulldogs Senior Coach Brendan McCartney has complete faith in the emerging key forward prospects on the Bulldog’s list, with a solid belief that their ambition and raw talent will soon be matched by an imposing presence and consistent output.

The Bulldog’s forward line woes have been well documented but Coach McCartney has openly backed the emerging talent in Liam Jones, Jarrad Grant, Jordan Roughead and Ayce Cordy to take the Dogs forward.

To listen to the full SEN radio interview with Brendan McCartney click here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/?nvId=447708)

While there is no established key forward currently available on the senior list to aid the transition, McCartney believes that with time, good coaching and support the young men will develop into a solid forward outfit.

“They are all very good young men - by that I mean they have good training habits, they are good to coach, they listen, they learn quite quickly and they are all quite settled with the picture we have of the type of player we want them to become,” McCartney told SEN radio.

“We will keep putting what I call time well spent into them with some good coaching and good, strong direction.

“All of them are ambitious - they are not loud and brash at the moment but that will come with some more confidence, they are competitive by nature.”

McCartney has made no secret of his intentions to educate, develop and mould the players at Whitten Oval into a ruthless, physical and resilient outfit and has no illusions that such transitions take time.

His teaching background however has instilled a level of patience that will allow his vision to transpire.

The Bulldog’s key forward prospects are still a very young group with Grant the eldest at 22 years old and less than 50 games to his name.

Jones (31 games), Roughead (23 games) and Cordy (5 games) are all only 21 years old and do not currently have the match experience to shoulder the responsibility of the forward line exclusively.

“The young kids we have in our organisation number one have enough talent… and number two remain level headed kids who want to learn and listen and be good teammates and make their Club better,” McCartney told ABC Grandstand.

“Some of our young forwards, the one ingredient they do have is they are high quality people… they want to get better and they are ambitious.

“When their physical stature catches up with those ambitions we are going to have some good young players down there [in the forward line].”

In the meantime McCartney is holding the entire team responsible for the Bulldog’s scoring opportunities, calling on a number of small forwards and more experienced players across the ground to contribute.

The team has responded with 18 players adding to the goal tally so far in Season 2012 firming the belief that the Bulldogs will not rely on one or two scoring options going forward.

bornadog
08-05-2012, 08:16 PM
If anyone didn't hear the interview of Macca on SEN on Saturday morning, then click on the link above. I thought it was a great interview and really impressed by Macca and what he is doing at the club.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2012, 08:21 PM
If anyone didn't hear the interview of Macca on SEN on Saturday morning, then click on the link above. I thought it was a great interview and really impressed by Macca and what he is doing at the club.

Me too.

Thanks for putting it up.

Desipura
08-05-2012, 08:37 PM
To me he comes accross as someone with a clear vision who wont deviate from it. We currently have holes in our list that hopefully will be addressed at years end.

In the meantime we have to ride the wave with the youngsters whilst playing some players who are really only band aid solutions until we get more quality players on our list.

bornadog
08-05-2012, 08:38 PM
To me he comes accross as someone with a clear vision who wont deviate from it. We currently have holes in our list that hopefully will be addressed at years end.

In the meantime we have to ride the wave with the youngsters whilst playing some players who are really only band aid solutions until we get more quality players on our list.

I think its going to take a few years.

azabob
08-05-2012, 09:09 PM

I agree, and he has identified what area he is fixing first, then he will move onto the next one.

Mantis
08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I agree, and he has identified what area he is fixing first, then he will move onto the next one.

It would be interesting to know how long he thinks it's going to take to get us to the point where we are pushing for a top 4 spot again.

I can't see it happening for some time yet. :(

jeemak
08-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Jones (31 games), Roughead (23 games) and Cordy (5 games) are all only 21 years old and do not currently have the match experience to shoulder the responsibility of the forward line exclusively.

This immediately stood out to me. Having lost his first year to a stingray related injury and OP he had a very good year in a top four side in 2010 after a year of getting going in the VFL. He's struggled a bit since then and quite rightly some have questioned his application or attitude.

I'm not sure if he was always the most motivated of players, though he's always seemed immature. Having said that, his talent can't be questioned and at 22 and short of 50 games I am always a little bit surprised by how quickly many Bulldog supporters and football commentators are prepared to put a line through his name.

I can't wait for all of the players listed above to reach the 75 game mark. I think that's when we'll see them hit their straps and really start owning games. Each of them is talented, and if each of them works hard enough they'll be contributors.

azabob
08-05-2012, 10:52 PM
It would be interesting to know how long he thinks it's going to take to get us to the point where we are pushing for a top 4 spot again.

It will be interesting how long it takes. Can you recall when Eade took over how long you thought it would take?

Mantis
08-05-2012, 11:00 PM
It will be interesting how long it takes. Can you recall when Eade took over how long you thought it would take?

We had the basis for a pretty good team when he took over, they had just been poorly coached/ developed.... By the end of his first year there were already some really good signs, but it still took 4 years to get there.

Our list isn't in the same sort of shape now and it's a big job to get it to where it needs to be.

ratsmac
08-05-2012, 11:13 PM
This immediately stood out to me. Having lost his first year to a stingray related injury and OP he had a very good year in a top four side in 2010 after a year of getting going in the VFL. He's struggled a bit since then and quite rightly some have questioned his application or attitude.

I'm not sure if he was always the most motivated of players, though he's always seemed immature. Having said that, his talent can't be questioned and at 22 and short of 50 games I am always a little bit surprised by how quickly many Bulldog supporters and football commentators are prepared to put a line through his name.

I can't wait for all of the players listed above to reach the 75 game mark. I think that's when we'll see them hit their straps and really start owning games. Each of them is talented, and if each of them works hard enough they'll be contributors.

The sad thing for our list is that when these lads reach 75 or so games, the likes of Boyd, Cross, Murphy, Gia, Lake, Hargraves, Cooney and others would be retired or very close to it. I just hope that we have others of their quality to take their place.

I'm predicting a long turn around for finals success, but when it comes around lets hope it comes around with a premiership.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2012, 11:18 PM
We had the basis for a pretty good team when he took over, they had just been poorly coached/ developed.... By the end of his first year there were already some really good signs, but it still took 4 years to get there.

Our list isn't in the same sort of shape now and it's a big job to get it to where it needs to be.

Yep. The instant massive improvements from previously misued talents in Shaggy, Gilbee and Cross show the difference between having a very good coach and a very poor one.

jeemak
09-05-2012, 12:30 AM
The sad thing for our list is that when these lads reach 75 or so games, the likes of Boyd, Cross, Murphy, Gia, Lake, Hargraves, Cooney and others would be retired or very close to it. I just hope that we have others of their quality to take their place.

I'm predicting a long turn around for finals success, but when it comes around lets hope it comes around with a premiership.

Those players will be sorely missed, though others will get an opportunity to produce and just like 2004-2006 we don't know how certain players will develop.

By that stage Wallis, Libba, Dahl, Wood, Howard, Tutt, Smith, Markovic, Austin, Dj and Vez having had the opportunity to have played at least 50 games, with Higgins, Cooney (hopefully), Griffin, Picken, Minson, Williams, Sherman and Addison there to hold the senior positions. Sure some of these guys will be turned over by then, though each of them has shown an ability to contribute on gameday.

It's a real wait and see issue for mine. I seriously think that in Cordy, Grant, Jones, and Roughead we're well placed up forward and in the ruck. Defense is a different issue, but nobody could have expected Lake to play the way he did between 2007-2010 so it's hard to predict what will come our way in that area moving forward. None of the candidates on our list right now seem to show the potential to be a Lake in terms of marking and creativity however, I'm yet to see the same level of brain farts from them either. Maybe they'll just be solid.

Our midfield will be seriously good for ball winning capability and decision making. If we can supplement that with some clean skills and pace from the next draft then we'll be in a position to give finals a shake in two to three years IMO.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Glad they discussed Shaun and was really pleased with his answer. Sounds like he is coming along.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-05-2012, 12:54 AM
There are a lot of variables, but more than anything, we need to nail the next 2 drafts.

In 2-4 years our senior players will be gone. Boyd, Lake, Hargrave, and Gia will be very difficult to replace. Cooney might be gone by then too, so it is absolutely imperative we draft really well in these next two years.

If we don't, we'll be in a huge hole.

1eyedog
09-05-2012, 12:58 AM

Me also, he spoke very well, very direct and he seems like a very good manager and instructor of people.

jeemak
09-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Glad they discussed Shuan and was really pleased with his answer. Sounds like he is coming along.

Agreed, and it also provided a small insight into Higgin's personality that might help to provide another angle of perception in to why he behaves like he does on the field.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Agreed, and it also provided a small insight into Higgin's personality that might help to provide another angle of perception in to why he behaves like he does on the field.

Maybe he and other players are always thinking they have to drag our club across the line, when in actual, fact, they just need to fill a role. Trying to compensate for things that are really out of their control. It can be hard to deal with unrealistic expectations. I've been a bit hard on Shaun before on these boards, out of pure frustration. Glad he has someone so steady at the tiller as Bmac.

jeemak
09-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Maybe he and other players are always thinking they have to drag our club across the line, when in actual, fact, they just need to fill a role. Trying to compensate for things that are really out of their control. It can be hard to deal with unrealistic expectations. I've been a bit hard on Shaun before on these boards, out of pure frustration. Glad he has someone so steady at the tiller as Bmac.

Their attitude might come down to a lack of faith in those around them. It can be hard for some players to drop the sense of self importance (I'm not using that term negatively in this case, mind) when they see new players around them that aren't proven. I've played in sides that have had the same thing happen, from A section to C section senior football. Ultimately, the teams I played in always were more successful when an inclusive mindset from senior players was embraced, and shared responsibility has been the adopted principle by all players, from senior through mid tier and lower experience levels.

I've said in other threads that being a medium sized or smaller forward in our side right now would be a tough position to play. My main reasons for that were due to our sluggish and sloppy ball movement to this point, and the fact that players like Higgins and Gia aren't actually forwards, rather, they're filling holes (as they have done for years when they are actually midfielders). They do it well for the most part, though they also put a lot of effort in to trying to kick goals or get involved in the play offensively when they should be thinking of how they can help the team through defensive efforts or by clearing space (credit to Gia in this area over the last couple of years when Hall was dominating our forward line).

You might see Jones surrounded by many defenders spoiling him over the coming weeks. Pay special attention to the players around him and ask yourself whether he's being isolated the way he should be. Our forward line goes from having nobody in it quite often, to having everybody in it with Jones sruggling to get space. All of our forwards need to determine whether their presence at the contest is helping our taller forwards or hindering them.

ledge
09-05-2012, 08:38 AM
There are a lot of variables, but more than anything, we need to nail the next 2 drafts.

In 2-4 years our senior players will be gone. Boyd, Lake, Hargrave, and Gia will be very difficult to replace. Cooney might be gone by then too, so it is absolutely imperative we draft really well in these next two years.

If we don't, we'll be in a huge hole.

Boyd has already been replaced with blokes like Libber, Wallis Dahlhaus and Clay coming through, our mids are ok for the next ten years.

Gia is already replaced with Shermann,
Lake with Markovic, its only 2 or 3 players we have to find in the next 3 years and with draft and delistings its shouldnt be a problem.

Desipura
09-05-2012, 08:55 AM

I tend to agree with you, then again we could nail all our picks at this years draft with our 2 first round picks playing senior footy straight away.
With the the 2nd/3rd year players taking the next step, we may climb sooner than we expect.

ledge
09-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I tend to agree with you, then again we could nail all our picks at this years draft with our 2 first round picks playing senior footy straight away.
With the the 2nd/3rd year players taking the next step, we may climb sooner than we expect.

Look at Geelong. its just got to click, could be one year could be 6 months, you cant put a time on it. personally i wouldnt be surprised if its next year.
I believe we already have 95% of the players, our figures show we already get the ball enough its just the ball use into the forward line.

It might only take one game of a good flogging on another team when everything goes right and whammo the forwards get the idea and its up and running.

Mantis
09-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Boyd has already been replaced with blokes like Libber, Wallis Dahlhaus and Clay coming through, our mids are ok for the next ten years.

So who replaces Griffen and Cooney?

Lake with Markovic, its only 2 or 3 players we have to find in the next 3 years and with draft and delistings its shouldnt be a problem.

Lake is/ was a top 3 FB in the league for 5+ years. Markovic is an honest battler.

You're in dreamland if you think we only need 2 or 3 players.... We need about 15, and yes some of these might already be on our list, but they aren't proven performers yet.

Mofra
09-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Gia is already replaced with Shermann
I'd say they are extremely different types of players.

For mine, Higgins is the closet we have to Gia - inside mid/good ball user in congestion, not blessed with innate hardness or pace but gets by on smarts, generally a good finisher in the F50 and is often subject of outright abuse by Bulldogs fans.

bornadog
09-05-2012, 10:39 AM
You're in dreamland if you think we only need 2 or 3 players.... We need about 15, and yes some of these might already be on our list, but they aren't proven performers yet.

You have hit the nail on the head, a long way to go yet for some of these younger players to prove they can play consistently every year.

ledge
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
So who replaces Griffen and Cooney?

I named more than one, also Cooneys out put the last 2 years has been equivalent to a normal AFL mid not the exceptionally talented one we did know.

Lake is/ was a top 3 FB in the league for 5+ years. Markovic is an honest battler.

Markovic has showed recently with his confidence up he will run off and is more than a battler in my eyes.
Full backs rely a lot on up the field pressure leading to bad delivery i dont care how good a fullback is if the delivery to the forward is good your done.

Dreamland?
Just like Geelong and Westcoast recently??
2 years ago people wanted Worsfold sacked and the players were no good the next year its a prelim.
Geelong a few years ago were atrocious with people wanting Thompson sacked the next year was a flag if i remember correctly.

As macca points out about every second interview its not the individual its the team, whats the old saying about a team and individuals?

Alot of people think about oh how are we going to replace champion players, sorry but a lot become so called champs when the team develops and from players around them.

Collingwood is a great team, they have a couple of stars but the rest are workers every club has a couple of stars, its about the teams cohesion that makes the difference and how a coach moves certain deficient players into places they can play and of course the game plan and age.

bornadog
09-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Dreamland?
2 years ago people wanted Worsfold sacked and the players were no good the next year its a prelim..

How many first round picks did West Coast pick up?. They have had the opportunity to get early picks like Nic Nat and others because they bottomed out and traded for early picks as well.

They didn't play finals for 3 years, ie 2008, 9,10 so it didn't happen overnight.

Get ready for the long haul Ledge.

ledge
09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
How many first round picks did West Coast pick up?. They have had the opportunity to get early picks like Nic Nat and others because they bottomed out and traded for early picks as well.

They didn't play finals for 3 years, ie 2008, 9,10 so it didn't happen overnight.

I am not saying we will win a flag but i certainly believe this year will be our worst as we make the transition of coaching changes, even that could be a better finish on the ladder than last year.

Mantis
09-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Dreamland?
2 years ago people wanted Worsfold sacked and the players were no good the next year its a prelim.
Geelong a few years ago were atrocious with people wanting Thompson sacked the next year was a flag if i remember correctly.

As macca points out about every second interview its not the individual its the team, whats the old saying about a team and individuals?

Alot of people think about oh how are we going to replace champion players, sorry but a lot become so called champs when the team develops and from players around them.

Collingwood is a great team, they have a couple of stars but the rest are workers every club has a couple of stars, its about the teams cohesion that makes the difference and how a coach moves certain deficient players into places they can play and of course the game plan and age.

You still need quality individuals within the team and we are along way from that.

Collingwood have more than a couple of stars, as do Geelong..... We only have 1 or 2 at present.

Sydney are probably the most evenly balanced team in the comp, but they haven't had the star factor to help them win finals games in recent years and it's yet to be known how they will go this year, but I can't see them seriously challenging when push comes to shove.

LostDoggy
09-05-2012, 11:34 AM

West Coast, much as I hate them, are the best recruiters in the land, for mine.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2012, 11:44 AM
West Coast, much as I hate them, are the best recruiters in the land, for mine.

Swans won a premiership the hard way. With players seldom celebrated throughout their career, like Leo Barry. And yet they got there.
You could build a premiership side with lots of players outside the top 20. Milburn, Wo-jo, Jpod. These were not first round draft picks.

BulldogBelle
09-05-2012, 11:59 AM
An old chestnut............

With the exception of Grant and to a lesser extent Darcy (as a ruck/forward) we have struggled to identify, draft, develop and play any gamechanging / premier key forwards over the last 20 years.

We've had success with smaller forwards who were recruited and played as mids (Johnson & Smith and then to a lesser extent likes of Brown, Gia, Higgins etc) - but as a club our recruitment and development of key forwards is sub-optimal.

Its great that Macca isnt looking for the band-aid solution ala Rhode and is focusing on developing the cattle we already have

ledge
09-05-2012, 12:07 PM
An old chestnut............

With the exception of Grant and to a lesser extent Darcy (as a ruck/forward) we have struggled to identify, draft, develop and play any gamechanging / premier key forwards over the last 20 years.
We've had success with smaller forwards who were recruited and played as mids (Johnson & Smith and then to a lesser extent likes of Brown, Gia, Higgins etc) - but as a club our recruitment and development of key forwards is sub-optimal.

Its great that Macca isnt looking for the band-aid solution ala Rhode and is focusing on developing the cattle we already have

We did have one but he became a fullback.
I think our biggest problem is we have taken very speculative skinny picks hoping they would turn into great players.
Maybe Macca will look at picking up higher draft players in the forward role next draft, we seem to have the young mids now.

Maddog37
09-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Reallisticaly we started our refresh/build last year much to Rockets credit. So that is 2011, 2012 and next year will be a development year as well. Thats three years of graft and toil which we are about half way through.

Alot of hard work still to come but we are well under way.

Besides Fletcher, the Bombers have no tall defenders much better than Marko and they are going ok so if the team defends as a team you may not need a Lake type superstar to win games.

Whilst I would not bet the farm on it I hope we may still get a couple of decent father sons through the door over the next couple of years as well.

I also think we would look a different team this year with HArbrow and Ward still in the team. That really has been a major kick in the guts.

ledge
09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Reallisticaly we started our refresh/build last year much to Rockets credit. So that is 2011, 2012 and next year will be a development year as well. Thats three years of graft and toil which we are about half way through.

Alot of hard work still to come but we are well under way.

Besides Fletcher, the Bombers have no tall defenders much better than Marko and they are going ok so if the team defends as a team you may not need a Lake type superstar to win games.

Whilst I would not bet the farm on it I hope we may still get a couple of decent father sons through the door over the next couple of years as well.

I also think we would look a different team this year with HArbrow and Ward still in the team. That really has been a major kick in the guts.

I agree with all of your post and will add that Eade did look at players ages and try to choose a player that would come on as certain players retired to take over the role, he was a forward list thinker its why we havent actually crumbled away.

But it is always a gamble Grant hasnt come on as much as he or we thought, losing Harbrow and Ward were unforseen blows, Howard hasnt become what we thought just yet, Jones either.

As a new coach seeing the young ones we do have, Libber, Wallis, Dahlhaus, we arent that bad a side to take over.
If I was a coach and had a choice of teams to coach in the near future i would have regarded us better off than Melbourne, Port and St Kilda list wise.

DragzLS1
09-05-2012, 01:34 PM
We have a few young players coming through like Libba, Wallis and Dahl (smith by next year will be good)

If Wood comes back and plays like he did against collingwood there is another win

Marko is always solid and will have a place in our side

Williams played some good games last year and might just suprise a few next year if he can have a solid run for a change!

lets see how we go this year, hopefully draft well and hopefully continue to play some good football over the next year.

I dont see us finishing very low on the ladder this year and believe our young list is alot better then most others :) Ill say it again 2016 is our year :p

w3design
09-05-2012, 05:00 PM

My guess would be another 3 years personally, as we get sufficient experience into the kids, and a bit more quality skills into our team.

There are a couple of clouds on our horizon though unfortunately.
1. Just as our next window is likely to open, is when the draft supercharged Gold Coast and Western Sydney are also going to have their armies of young talent reaching the 50 plus game mark. And they are going to take Some Beating give the potential they were handed on the AFL's Silver Platter.

2. My second concern is Free Agency. Even before it came into effect, we have a long [ very long] history of losing champion and potential champion players to the opposition. Names like:
Dempsy, Quinlan, Templeton, Round, Wilson, Sandilands etc., etc. for starters spring to mind.

I just hope from here on we can become predators rather than victims, or at the very least, lock our doors on the players we need to retain. We cannot afford to allow our list to be raped and pillaged by the richer clubs as has occurred time and time again over the last 50 years, not if ever want to ever win that elusive second flag.

1eyedog
09-05-2012, 05:35 PM
My guess would be another 3 years personally, as we get sufficient experience into the kids, and a bit more quality skills into our team.

There are a couple of clouds on our horizon though unfortunately.
1. Just as our next window is likely to open, is when the draft supercharged Gold Coast and Western Sydney are also going to have their armies of young talent reaching the 50 plus game mark. And they are going to take Some Beating give the potential they were handed on the AFL's Silver Platter.

2. My second concern is Free Agency. Even before it came into effect, we have a long [ very long] history of losing champion and potential champion players to the opposition. Names like:
Dempsy, Quinlan, Templeton, Round, Wilson, Sandilands etc., etc. for starters spring to mind.

I just hope from here on we can become predators rather than victims, or at the very least, lock our doors on the players we need to retain. We cannot afford to allow our list to be raped and pillaged by the richer clubs as has occurred time and time again over the last 50 years, not if ever want to ever win that elusive second flag.

Good post.

I agree that Callan Ward will bend us over the table a second time when we start to play these guys during our next window in 3-4 years.

bornadog
09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
I am not saying we will win a flag but i certainly believe this year will be our worst as we make the transition of coaching changes, even that could be a better finish on the ladder than last year.

Believe me, next year will be worse than this year, with our ageing players retiring or not being up to the level we have experienced in the past.

I can't see us making the 8 till at least 2014.

DragzLS1
09-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I can see Gold Coast and GWS both being top 4 in 3 years time. But tbh some of the young players on our list looks the goods and depending on our next 2 years of drafting and plaing these young players as much as possible, I can see us being in with a very good chance for that flag in 4 years time.

Let the good times roll!

ledge
09-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I can see Gold Coast and GWS both being top 4 in 3 years time. But tbh some of the young players on our list looks the goods and depending on our next 2 years of drafting and plaing these young players as much as possible, I can see us being in with a very good chance for that flag in 4 years time.

Let the good times roll!

The problem the new clubs have is when you sign kids you can only sign them for 2 years first up, some of these kids will want to go home.

I have no doubt, all this draft raiding in the end could come back to haunt them like the Ward deal did with us, they spend 2 years teaching the kids then the kids want to go home or seek other homes.

Its a very unknown area at the moment but I think some will return to their home states.

Rocco Jones
09-05-2012, 07:42 PM
The problem the new clubs have is when you sign kids you can only sign them for 2 years first up, some of these kids will want to go home.

I have no doubt, all this draft raiding in the end could come back to haunt them like the Ward deal did with us, they spend 2 years teaching the kids then the kids want to go home or seek other homes.

Its a very unknown area at the moment but I think some will return to their home states.

It's a bit like saying those who are really rich have more to potentially lose. I think having too many talented kids to keep is a pretty awesome problem to have. Thing is they also get compensated for the ones they lose and judging by the Scully/Ward compos, they rate where a player is picked way more than actual potentinal/ability. All bodes well for the love children of the AFL.

ledge
09-05-2012, 09:11 PM
It's a bit like saying those who are really rich have more to potentially lose. I think having too many talented kids to keep is a pretty awesome problem to have. Thing is they also get compensated for the ones they lose and judging by the Scully/Ward compos, they rate where a player is picked way more than actual potentinal/ability. All bodes well for the love children of the AFL.

Its an interesting discussion on what will happen in the next year or two

chef
10-05-2012, 08:52 AM

IMO it's going to be hard to get the goods ones as they are very tight nit groups who have grown up together(as footballers) and want success together. They know if they stay together success is just around the corner and our best chance(to poach someone) would be once they are old enough for free agency.