PDA

View Full Version : Round #7 Match Preview - Bulldogs vs Kangaroos

GVGjr
10-05-2012, 09:51 PM
WHEN AND WHERE
North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, Etihad Stadium, 1.10pm, Sunday 13 May

WHEN THEY LAST MET
Round 17, 2011 North Melbourne 21.16 - 142 defeated the Western Bulldogs 17.9 - 111

Best Players - Kangaroos
Ziebell, Swallow, Wells, Harvey and Petrie

Best Players - Bulldogs
Boyd, Cross, Ward and Griffen

Brownlow Votes
3: J Ziebell, 2: D Wells, 1: D Petrie

Major Goal Kickers
Kangaroos - Petrie 5
Bulldogs - Hall 5

THE LAST 5 GAMES AGAINST NORTH MELBOURNE

Round 17, 17 Jul 2011 Etihad Stadium North Melbourne defeats Western Bulldogs
Round 18, 1 Aug 2010 Etihad Stadium Western Bulldogs defeat North Melbourne
Round 9, 22 May 2010 Etihad Stadium North Melbourne defeated by Western Bulldogs
Round 13, 28 Jun 2009 MCG North Melbourne defeated by Western Bulldogs
Round 2, 5 Apr 2009 MCG Western Bulldogs defeat North Melbourne

THIS SEASONS FORMLINE
BULLDOGS 2 wins and 4 losses
West Coast - Loss
Adelaide - Loss
StKilda - Loss
Melbourne - Win
Greater Western Sydney - Win
Collingwood - Loss

KANGAROOS 3 wins and 3 losses
Essendon - Loss
Greater Western Sydney - Win
Geelong - Win
Sydney - Loss
Gold Coast - Win
West Coast - Loss

THE BULLDOGS LAST OUTING
Western Bulldogs lost to Collingwood by 21 points

THE KANGAROOS LAST OUTING
North Melbourne lost to the West Coast Eagles by 25 points

FACTS OR FICTIONS
Bulldogs High
Ranked 2nd in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 2nd in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 5th in Least Opponent Tackles Per Game
Ranked 3rd in Team to Opponent Handballs Per Game Diff.
Ranked 4th in Team to Opponent Disposals Per Game Diff.

Bulldogs Low
Ranked 14th in Points Per Game
Ranked 12th in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 13th in Team to Opponent Points Per Game Diff.

Kangaroos High
Ranked 1st in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 1st in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 2nd in Points Per Game
Ranked 1st in least Opponent Handballs Per Game
Ranked 3rd in least Opponent Disposals Per Game
Ranked 1st in least Opponent Tackles Per Game
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Handballs Per Game Diff.
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Disposals Per Game Diff.

Kangaroos Low
Ranked 14th in Kicks Per Game
Ranked 13th in Marks Per Game
Ranked 15th in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 14th in least Opponent Points Per Game
Ranked 12th in Team to Opponent Kicks Per Game Diff.

INJURY AND FORM CONUNDRUMS
BULLDOGS
Lukas Markovic - With a tall forward line to counter the Bulldogs would have been very hopeful that Markovic was available but apparently he has suffered another setback and once again Mark Austin will have to step up again this week.
Cordy and Grant will be back from their injuries of last week.

KANGAROOS
Todd Goldstein - With Hamish McIntosh on fire last week (20 disposals (12 kicks and 8 handballs), 4 marks and 31 hitouts) it's a selection nightmare for the Roos to try and squeeze Goldstein into the 22.

THE SELECTION TABLE
BULLDOGS
B: Robert Murphy, Brian Lake, Ryan Hargrave
HB: Daniel Cross, Mark Austin, Dylan Addison
C: Liam Picken, Matthew Boyd, Shaun Higgins
HF: Adam Cooney, Jordan Roughead, Patrick Veszpremi
F: Thomas Liberatore, Ayce Cordy, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: William Minson, Ryan Griffen, Luke Dahlhaus
I/C: Jarrad Grant, Justin Sherman, Mitchell Wallis, Clay Smith, Fletcher Roberts, Daniel Pearce, Tory Dickson
IN: Jarrad Grant, Clay Smith, Fletcher Roberts, Daniel Pearce, Tory Dickson, Ayce Cordy
OUT: Easton Woods (hamstring), Liam Jones (back), Nathan Djerrkura (hip)

KANGAROOS
B: Jamie Macmillan, Scott Thompson, Luke Delaney
HB: Daniel Wells, Michael Firrito, Kieran Harper
C: Shaun Atley, Andrew Swallow, Brent Harvey
HF: Ben Cunnington, Todd Goldstein, Samuel Wright
F: Aaron Edwards, Drew Petrie, Lindsay Thomas
Foll: Hamish McIntosh, Jack Ziebell, Ryan Bastinac
I/C: Ben Warren, Leigh Adams, Liam Anthony, Cameron Delaney, Cameron Pedersen, Will Sierakowski, Brad McKenzie
IN: Todd Goldstein, Ben Warren, Cameron Delaney, Will Sierakowski, Brad McKenzie
OUT: Robert Tarrant, Aaron Mullett

BULLDOGS SPOTLIGHT PLAYER WATCH
Brian Lake - After a terrific effort against Travis Cloke, Lake will once again be asked to curb a quality tall forward in Drew Petrie. Petrie has consistently caused us more than a few headaches over the years and whilst 2012 hasn't been a great one for him a few early grabs could swing the momentum the Kangaroos way.

KANGAROOS SPOTLIGHT PLAYER WATCH
Hamish McIntosh had a break out game and his match-up against Will Minson will be critical to providing his midfield quality possessions. When McIntosh moves forward he will also a nightmare for the Bulldogs back line and Mark Austin will most likely be given the task of handling McIntosh and Goldstein

THE PICKEN LOCKDOWN CHALLENGE
With a number of quality North midfielders it's difficult to know which player the Picken will lock onto.
Harvey, Wells, Swallow and Ziebell will all be hoping the Padlock doesn't start heading their way. I expect for Picken to be shadowing Brent Harvey and do his normal shutdown job.

KEY MATCH-UPS
Hargrave vs Edwards
Edwards is a challenging match-up for Hargrave but an important one for us. His ability to kick a few goals from not many chances is something that we must control and Hargrave is the right man for the task. I'd look for Hargrave to try and run off Edwards as often as he can.

Boyd vs Swallow
This Captain vs Captain match-up should be a beauty. Both players can find a lot of the ball and the one that wins this can really shape the game for their team.

Liberatore vs Ziebell
I'm excited by the prospect of these two emerging midfield stars squaring off. I'd give the edge to Libba because of his sensationally quickly hands and his effective kicking.

FOR THE DOGS TO WIN
Griffen, Cooney, Dahlhaus and Higgins must step and kick goals and Murphy must be at his creative best in the back half.
Curbing the influence of the dangerous Daniel Wells is also a critical assignment for us.

SUMMARY AND PREDICTIONS
With a win against the Cats and some competitive losses, North have the superior form guide but games between these two sides have been split pretty evenly over many years. I think McCartney will pull a few surprise moves that will unsettle the Kangaroos and I'm hoping this will unsettle them enough to give us the edge.

The Dogs to win by 12 points.

F'scary
10-05-2012, 10:09 PM
thank you gvgjr, good precis, this is where I caught the teams line up first. Ta.

I'm guessing the first four named I/C players will be the bench, the last three the emergencies. Can't believe that Wallis will be the sub. Grant the sub? No, don't like that because of the issues with playing ruckmen as key position forwards. Grant would offer some variation to this.

Minson & Cordy to change at FF? I suppose they've doing this or similar all season.

Bit worried about Roughead at CHF against Ferrito. Ferrito is a bit of a pro now and from what I have seen rebounds well for a bigger bloke. But don't know what else to do. Cordy is more mobile or do you put J Grant at CHF to try and run Ferrito off his feet?

Anyway, looking forward to the match, cheers

Eastdog
10-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Good Preview GVG. Interesting to see who will be the sub this week. I definitely believe we can win this week but we have to have the effort there for the whole match no dropping off because North Melbourne have been very good this year so far. One thing though that might come back against us is the Collingwood match last week that took it out of the players. Next week against the Gold Coast you would think we should be a win but lets just focus on this week.

Go_Dogs
10-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Top preview, thanks for that GVGjr. Looking forward to the game. If the team brings the kind of intensity we did last week for the duration we're a big chance to win this one.

Going to be interesting to see how our forward line operates without Jones. As you say we'll need our midfielders to get on the end of a few, and hopefully we'll see at least one of Cordy, Roughead, Grant have an impact up forward.

westdog54
10-05-2012, 11:47 PM
The only thing I would add would be that Petrie and Harvey need to be stopped. They've turned us into their bitches ver the last few years.

Great write up GVG.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this week.

1eyedog
10-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Good Preview GVG. Interesting to see who will be the sub this week. I definitely believe we can win this week but we have to have the effort there for the whole match no dropping off because North Melbourne have been very good this year so far. One thing though that might come back against us is the Collingwood match last week that took it out of the players. Next week against the Gold Coast you would think we should be a win but lets just focus on this week.

On the flip side North finished their match late on Sunday in W.A. I would say recovery and preparation time is fairly even. We may even hold the edge there.

We have two blokes 200cm tall in our forward line, their back half suddenly looks quite small, I hpe we can use this to our advantage and Roughie and Ayce can hold on to a few close to goal. Watch for McIntosh to get down there as much as possible.

Eastdog
10-05-2012, 11:58 PM
On the flip side North finished their match late on Sunday in W.A. I would say recovery and preparation time is fairly even. We may even hold the edge there.

We have two blokes 200cm tall in our forward line, their back half suddenly looks quite small, I hpe we can use this to our advantage and Roughie and Ayce can hold on to a few close to goal. Watch for McIntosh to get down there as much as possible.

Quite right 1eyedog. They had the late match last week in W.A and also I would say Subi is a big ground so North must have ran a lot of km and that would have taken it out of them as well - also we have had the longer break.

bornadog
11-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Fantastic preview GVGjr, some interesting stats. Both teams are one and two for Disposals as well as handballs and pretty even with contested possessions but way ahead on clearances.

Last time we played them Ziebell was left to roam around and picked up 41 disposals. North will be favourites for this one, but if we can kick some goals as well as play like we did last week, we have a good chance to win.

1eyedog
11-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Fantastic preview GVGjr, some interesting stats. Both teams are one and two for Disposals as well as handballs and pretty even with contested possessions but way ahead on clearances.

Last time we played them Ziebell was left to roam around and picked up 41 disposals. North will be favourites for this one, but if we can kick some goals as well as play like we did last week, we have a good chance to win.

This is the issue isn't it? If Jarrad Grant can't pull a rabbit out of a hat and Gia is well held (the former is as unlikely as the latter is likely) I'm struggling to see where these goals will come from. The match might be a real grind.

We need a couple each from each midfielder.

bornadog
11-05-2012, 12:19 AM
This is the issue isn't it? If Jarrad Grant can't pull a rabbit out of a hat and Gia is well held (the former is as unlikely as the latter is likely) I'm struggling to see where these goals will come from. The match might be a real grind.

We need a couple each from each midfielder.

Maybe they are looking at Dickson to kick a few. Played well last week in a woeful match for Willi./

jeemak
11-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Nice preview, good work.

I'm concerned that the last time we played them Ziebell, Swallow, Wells, Harvey and Petrie were their best players. If this happens again we're in for along night.

Boyd and Cross must, and I mean MUST go in to the game with a defensive mindset. They need to handle Ziebell and Swallow between them, leaving Picken to go with Wells or Harvey. Harvey has been a thorn in our side for a while (surely the old fart should retire :o) though I don't know if his potential impact on the game will be greater than Wells' if they both hit their straps.

We need to still be offensive through the midfield, and if either player plays off North's half back line then I think Cooney should revel in taking one for the team and keep them honest. It's not conventional I know, though Cooney is still quick, requires marking and has the smarts to burn these guys if they don't pay him enough attention. It also might give him a different sense of worth, one that he probably hasn't experienced throughout his entire career at any level. 20 possessions, a goal or two, a few tackles and shutting down a play maker isn't anything to sneeze at, no matter who you are.

Stop North's run out of the middle, and you go a long way to stopping Petrie. The only time Lake is vulnerable (apart from on the lead, like any KPB) is when he's caught way in front against a tall and strong opponent (think Cloke goal square last week) and facing quick transition. Limit the supply and Lake's game will flourish.

Really not sure where the goals will come from. If there's ever a game for Grant to stand up and take on some responsibility then this is it. A three or four goal performance would be fantastic, and would go a long way to restoring faith in him as a prospect, if not, a contributor.

The inclusion of Goldstein puts North in a pretty good position with respect to ruckmen. Look out for a big game from Will. He's growing in confidence, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gives these guys a bit of a physical pantsing.

Like others I struggle to see where the goals are going to come from, for us. I think though that we've been getting our system a little closer to where it needs to be over the last few weeks and are just about to click in to a gear where we'll win enough of the ball to put forward pressure on the opposition. That, couple with North flying back from WA and having two days less than us to recover has me confident in a favourable result.

Bulldogs by 24 points.

AndrewP6
11-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Nice preview, good work.

I'm concerned that the last time we played them Ziebell, Swallow, Wells, Harvey and Petrie were their best players. If this happens again we're in for along night.

Boyd and Cross must, and I mean MUST go in to the game with a defensive mindset. They need to handle Ziebell and Swallow between them, leaving Picken to go with Wells or Harvey. Harvey has been a thorn in our side for a while (surely the old fart should retire :o) though I don't know if his potential impact on the game will be greater than Wells' if they both hit their straps.

We need to still be offensive through the midfield, and if either player plays off North's half back line then I think Cooney should revel in taking one for the team and keep them honest. It's not conventional I know, though Cooney is still quick, requires marking and has the smarts to burn these guys if they don't pay him enough attention. It also might give him a different sense of worth, one that he probably hasn't experienced throughout his entire career at any level. 20 possessions, a goal or two, a few tackles and shutting down a play maker isn't anything to sneeze at, no matter who you are.

Stop North's run out of the middle, and you go a long way to stopping Petrie. The only time Lake is vulnerable (apart from on the lead, like any KPB) is when he's caught way in front against a tall and strong opponent (think Cloke goal square last week) and facing quick transition. Limit the supply and Lake's game will flourish.

Really not sure where the goals will come from. If there's ever a game for Grant to stand up and take on some responsibility then this is it. A three or four goal performance would be fantastic, and would go a long way to restoring faith in him as a prospect, if not, a contributor.

The inclusion of Goldstein puts North in a pretty good position with respect to ruckmen. Look out for a big game from Will. He's growing in confidence, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gives these guys a bit of a physical pantsing.

Like others I struggle to see where the goals are going to come from, for us. I think though that we've been getting our system a little closer to where it needs to be over the last few weeks and are just about to click in to a gear where we'll win enough of the ball to put forward pressure on the opposition. That, couple with North flying back from WA and having two days less than us to recover has me confident in a favourable result.

Bulldogs by 24 points.

Yet you're tipping a four goal win?

Greystache
11-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Great preview GVG, i particularly enjoyed the stats.

This game is a big test for us, it's a match we should be a chance to win and need a good performance to build some confidence. As always kicking enough goals to win will be the challenge.

Remi Moses
11-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Can't see us kicking a score to win ( although don't rate Norf's backs)
Bring last weeks intensity and urgency we're a chance.
Norf should win ( they're at full strength ) by 22 points

Eastdog
11-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Can't see us kicking a score to win ( although don't rate Norf's backs)
Bring last weeks intensity and urgency we're a chance.

Getting goals has been our problem. We have only scored over 100 points once this season which was against GWS.

jeemak
11-05-2012, 01:09 AM

Bulldogs by 24 points.

Yet you're tipping a four goal win?

Yes.

I've struggled to see where our goals might come from over the last couple of months, so this week is no different, of course. Last week I saw a team that was in a position to have punished Collingwood on the scoreboard early on, and was right in the game throughout the last quarter. Some vague semblence of a system was starting to show itself, and if a couple of players had converted their opportunities early (and we didn't give away cheap goals throughout the game in various critical patches) we might have had a bigger buffer to work with.

Our inability to put a competitive score on the board previously has had a bit to do with our forward cattle, though our transition from defense through the midfeild has played an equal part. I've seen glimpses over the last three weeks that suggest we're sorting ourselves out in that regard, and I'm also gaining more confidence in our ability to curb the oppositions forward movement with better structure and intensity at the contest. If all of Lake, Hargrave and Murphy have a good game then we'll be able to set ourselves up from defense very well.

With Norf having two days less to recover, and flying back from WA I think they're cherry ripe to get done over.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic by stating four goals. Would you be satisfied if I said we'll win?

bornadog
11-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Not wrong there they only have one injury on their list.

bornadog
11-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Getting goals has been our problem. We have only scored over 100 points once this season which was against GWS.

That's true, however, last week we had 22 shots at goal, so we are starting to get the ball further than the 50 metre arc and actually having a shot.

Eastdog
11-05-2012, 11:04 AM
That's true, however, last week we had 22 shots at goal, so we are starting to get the ball further than the 50 metre arc and actually having a shot.

That is a better sign as its something that we have been struggling with in not having a good forward setup. This week im hoping we bring that intensity we brought against Collingwood last week.

Ghost Dog
11-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Hanlon and Murph are the only tipsters with the intestinal fortitude to pick us. Oh, and the village idiot! Prove them all wrong dogs!

Cyberdoggie
11-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks GVGjr,

Top two teams for handballs and disposals, should be an interesting game.

Hopefully we are able to pressure them enough and draw the errors.

Axe Man
11-05-2012, 03:19 PM
When McIntosh moves forward he will also a nightmare for the Bulldogs back line and Mark Austin will most likely be given the task of handling McIntosh and Goldstein

Does anyone think that Roughy may take Goldstein/McIntosh when they are forward, given he did a reasonable job on Mitch Clark a few weeks back? That would leave Austin on Edwards and Hargrave on a small.

LostDoggy
11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Its much more likely that the defense setup will be Lake on Petrie , Austin on Edwards and Roughead will most likely have go back like he did before , that means Minson and Cordy will ruck , taking a tall out of the forward line could see North using Cameron Pedersen as a forward/back rotation to try to interfere with matchups ( big unit ) , if Roughead has to drop back that means Griffen will have to drop back as well to give us extra rebound

If Roughead and Cordy are out of the forward line it could mean we end up having Veszpremi and Dickson on the 50m arc and I,m fine with that

Mantis
11-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Its much more likely that the defense setup will be Lake on Petrie , Austin on Edwards and Roughead will most likely have go back like he did before , that means Minson and Cordy will ruck , taking a tall out of the forward line could see North using Cameron Pedersen as a forward/back rotation to try to interfere with matchups ( big unit ) , if Roughead has to drop back that means Griffen will have to drop back as well to give us extra rebound.

Pederson while being 100kg is only 193cm so isn't huge and is hardly a player who we would be planning against.

Griffen is our most dynamic midfielder as witnessed by his game last week, if he goes back we might as well throw in the towel.

bornadog
11-05-2012, 04:32 PM
it could mean we end up having Veszpremi and Dickson on the 50m arc and I,m fine with that

You keep talking every week about Vez on the 50metre arc, but he plays in the backline??

LostDoggy
11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Pederson while being 100kg is only 193cm so isn't huge and is hardly a player who we would be planning against.

Griffen is our most dynamic midfielder as witnessed by his game last week, if he goes back we might as well throw in the towel.

I don,t mean Griffen in the backline I mean dropping back , one of the receiver,s on kickins , the extra runner , the target for switch of play behind the ball etc , if Roughead has to drop back Veszpremi has to go forward and we lose a runner

LostDoggy
11-05-2012, 04:42 PM
You keep talking every week about Vez on the 50metre arc, but he plays in the backline??

No, I don,t and yes he does

Everyweek it,s Jones and he,s not playing

Ghost Dog
11-05-2012, 05:00 PM
That's a good write up and thanks GVG.

Talls are obviously a huge worry for us and it will be up to the midfield to make sure supply is restricted. Interesting to see Roberts named. Was a bit surprised.
Fitness wise, I think they may just have it over our group, having seen them up close a few times. But our middle is classier and hope this is telling over the course of the game.

LostDoggy
11-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately I can't make it this week. We were unlucky enough to have game day fall on Mothers' Day, and as my grandmother is getting on a bit I've elected to have Sunday lunch with her. She introduced me to football, and she's the most fanatical Essendon fan I've ever met or heard about, so I know it's as good a gift for Mothers' Day as any bunch of flowers.

Thank God for live score updates. Hopefully, on Sunday night, I'll be spewin' that I missed a cracker of a victory. Dogs by 3 points.

SlimPickens
11-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Finalized team

Ins Grant, Cordy, Dickson
Out DJ, Jones, Wood
Em: Smith, Pearce, Robert

North
In Goldstein, Delaney, McKenzie
Out: Tarrant, Mullet, Pederson
Em: Pederson, Sierakowski, Warren

Greystache
11-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Finalized team

Ins Grant, Cordy, Dickson

Em: Smith, Pearce, Robert

Cheers Slim, probably no great surprises there.

SlimPickens
11-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Cheers Slim, probably no great surprises there.

Agree, Dickson as the sub i'd imagine.