PDA

View Full Version : Game Day 2012 - R7 Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne

BulldogBelle
11-05-2012, 04:52 PM
This is the discussion thread for our Sunday early afternoon game against North Melb at ES.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 18 points
BOG : Shaun Higgins
Daniel Giansiracusa to kick the first goal

Greystache
11-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Dogs by 10 points
BOG- Grant
First goal- Griffen

SlimPickens
11-05-2012, 05:39 PM
North 17pts
First Goal: Ayce Cordy
BOG: Griffen

Ghost Dog
11-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Dogs by a kick
First Goal: Luke
BOG: Boyd

bornadog
11-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Dogs by 5 points

First Goal - Gia

BOG - Griff

Go_Dogs
12-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Dogs by 13
BOG Murphy
First Goal Cordy

AndrewP6
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
North by 13pts
First goal Shermo
BOG Griff

1eyedog
12-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Th Roos by 21 Points
Boyd for us
J Grant first goal

KT31
13-05-2012, 10:24 AM
With the hope the Dogs will play in the same mindset as last week.

Dogs by 10pts
Griff BOG
Dahlhaus first goal.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 10:27 AM
With the hope the Dogs will play in the same mindset as last week.

Thats what we're all hoping. Only way we will beat them.

Dogs by 11pts
Boyd BOG
Sherman first goal

G-Mo77
13-05-2012, 10:43 AM
North by 28 points
BOG for us: Boyd
First Goal for us: Roughead

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I always tip the Dogs each week. :) As KT31 said if we bring that same intensity we brought last week against Collingwood we can win today

Doggies by 7 points
BOG for us: Griffen
First Goal for us: Dahlhaus

Twodogs
13-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Dogs by 19 points

First goal-Dickson

BOG-Dahlhaus

F'scary
13-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo doggggiiiieeeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Just saw on the Dogs FB page - Cooney out, Cassius in, and the sub.

Sydney Bulldog
13-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Great goal Shaun. GET IN DOGGIES!!!!!!!

boydogs
13-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Dogs by 15 points
BOG Griffen
First goal Higgins (yes I cheated :D)

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Looking sharpish early , getting on top of the contests

Maddog37
13-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Swallow keeps ducking his head.

Mantis
13-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Any chance we might get a holding the ball free?

chef
13-05-2012, 02:46 PM
If we had a decent tall forward we would be a pretty good side.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Solid starts for Griffen and Dickson

Greystache
13-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I almost want to go home when I get to a game and see we've got Matthew Nichols umpiring, I've never seen anything like his bias against us. His gifting of goals to WCE in round 1 was a disgrace, but nothing compares to his 4 second quarter 50m penalties against Carlton last year.

True to form 2 of North's goal are from frees and 50m penalties from him.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Lake doing well down back.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Lake doing well down back.

May well hit some form again. We are doing well in the midfield and our half forwards are doing well.

comrade
13-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Murphy needs to put the switch kick back in the bag.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Addison had him dead to rights , stupid decision by the umpire

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Addison had him dead to rights , stupid decision by the umpire

Shocking umpiring. Margin back out to 19 pts in favour of us as Wallis goals.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Great first half from the Dogs.

Mantis
13-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Umpire 24 must be the play on and ball up umpire... He simply refuses to make a decision.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Shocking umpiring. Margin back out to 19 pts in favour of us as Wallis goals.

Luckily we were the beneficiary of that 'even up' free kick. That non-decision that cost us a goal up the other end was atrocious. How that umpire could say Goldstein had no prior opportunity is beyond me.
It's been a game of terrible umpiring.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Luckily we were the beneficiary of that 'even up' free kick. That non-decision that cost us a goal up the other end was atrocious. How that umpire could say Goldstein had no prior opportunity is beyond me.
It's been a game of terrible umpiring.

The umpires do not seem to be consistent and we have a whole appreciation round a week or so back for them. They should be there to be in the background as much as possible and not influence the game with silly decisions like that. Luckily its not a final.

KT31
13-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Great intencity by the Dog's, hopefully we will keep it up in the second half.
Not one to bitch about the umpires, but there has been some ordinary non desision and desisions.
Griffs first half has been brilliant.

Maddog37
13-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Umpire 24 must be the play on and ball up umpire... He simply refuses to make a decision.

Makes the game more enjoyable than the other extreme of paying everything even resembling a free kick though.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Umpire # 24 better hope this one doesn't go down to the wire. Disgraceful non decision gifts North Goal, on the back of a tremendous chase and tackle by DFA. Textbook HTB play, unrewarded. :mad:

Boys doing well thus far. Griff everywhere, Lake in good nick. Dahl is the sort of guy we go to the footy to watch, just love the energy he brings.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Makes the game more enjoyable than the other extreme of paying everything even resembling a free kick though.

#24 seems to struggle with basics.

LostDoggy

How can be more enjoyable when they miss obvious frees? You pay the frees that are there not let it go.
The frees are suppose deter poor play not the other way around.

KT31

Absolute delight watching a North player run down and drop the ball in their square and then have them rewarded with a goal.:rolleyes:

Twodogs
13-05-2012, 03:39 PM
There was another bad decision on our forward line as well. Wells pushed Griffin in the back and Griff cannoned into Roughead and thy clashed heads. The umpire called play on and North took it straight up the other end and kicked a goal.

Cross was good in the last few minutes before halftime. I forget how good at contested marking he is sometimes.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Absolute delight watching a North player run down and drop the ball in their square and then have them rewarded with a goal.:rolleyes:

Great effort from Addison there.

Twodogs
13-05-2012, 03:42 PM

It's not supposed to be one extreme or the other though. We give them a whistle and a silly outfit to make the obvious decisions.

angelopetraglia
13-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Higgins playing well today. Proving s leading option. But that miss is costly.

Two goal turn around. Just kills you.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Struth its like trying to kill a snake by biting its tail

Just need to hit some targets

Great goal by Sherman

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 03:59 PM
We have used the ball really well today. Another goal to Sherman.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Shem with a couple of quick ones. Murph with a great running kick - great to see.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Need to stop the answering goal. We kick one, they get an easy one back.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 04:17 PM
If North get the first of the last qtr then the game is back on but if we score the next 2 goals of the last qtr I reckon that the ball game.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Handy if had fresh runner on the bench, not a guy that played yesterday.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Handy if had fresh runner on the bench, not a guy that played yesterday.

Was it the right decision to bring Smith in at the last minute. What happened to Cooney?

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Just grinding them down with the contested possessions , they don,t seem to have a Plan B to try to reverse the situation , they dropped a player behind the ball and that did,nt really work , with McKintosh down or playing injured we should continue to control the contests , at the moment Thomas and Anthony are their real threat , Austin has done well on Edwards just got out positioned a few times

Max469
13-05-2012, 04:26 PM
come on dogs. north are coming.

COME ON DOGS

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2012, 04:31 PM
We look out on our feet. Got to hold on and kick a steadier.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Roughead off for Smith ? Not sure why Smith was the Sub as he played yesterday

I hope we don,t stay this quiet North could run over us

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Fantastic work from Griff and Guido. Just what we needed

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2012, 04:38 PM
North get one back.
We need to find a way to put this game beyond doubt. before North find a way

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Need to hold on now. Very important right now.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the arrival of the sons of guns and our future.

Libba and Wally have arrived!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Great tackle Clay

Max469
13-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Well done Dogs.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Great win , just ground them to a pulp with the contested possessions , on the stats we should have beaten by more , another step forwards as a team

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Great win today. Our ball use was great and we just tought North a lesson today.Well done Dogs.

LostDoggy
Bash that up your arse Norf!! Can't stand them and love it when we beat them. I'm so happy I could cry. Lot's of positives from the kids today and a definite hard edge to our team under Macca.

Scraggers
23 contested marks ... Fantastic stat.

Twodogs
13-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Great effort by Tory Dickson. His goals were earned the hard way. It must be very satisfying to know you can compete at the top level.

If Edwards had been as effective at the other end the result might have been different.

Evel
13-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Great win. Beating North gives us some credibility. Good mix of experienced players and younger players contributing. Damn proud of them today. North are a great contested possession side and we killed them. Still have a long way to go but showed we've still got some bite.

westdog54
13-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Wonderful result. Won and won well against supposedly superior opposition.

Could not be happier right now.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Great win dogs. So pleasing to see a 4 quarter effort.

Mark Austin defensive efforts were superb. Continued to get his fist in when he had no right too. Was criticle of him last week, but full credit to him

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Today was payback. For too long North have feasted on us coming back from Darwin......welcome to reality North and hello to our new Scott Welsh.

Twodogs
13-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Bash that up your arse Norf!! Can't stand them and love it when we beat them.

Me too. North is by far my most hated rival. I love beating them.

Mark Austin defensive efforts were superb. Continued to get his fist in when he had no right too. Was criticle of him last week, but full credit to him

Agree. He stuck to his task really well.

angelopetraglia
13-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Just a super win. The game plan starting to come together. So tough at the contest and at the man. So many fantastic desperate acts by a number of Bulldog players today.

We look so much more unpredictable going forward rather than just kicking it to Jones. Dickson, Higgins, Gia, Cordy, Roughead at times all looked dangerous.

The players would take so much confidence out of that effort. Besides the St Kilda game (even though we did win the inside 50s) we have been in every game for long periods with small lapses in concentration costing us. In reflection, we should our form against Adelaide in Adelaide was very good. We should have won that night.

Sedat
13-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Very pleasently surprised by the result. Haven't seen the game yet but looking forward to watching the replay tonight. From the little snippets I've heard, we seemed to smash them at the clearances and contested possessions. Norf would be bitterly disappointed at getting beaten up in the engine room. Apparently Gia gave them a bath, hardly surprising as he has owned Norf for a few years now. St Kilda match and GWS 1st qtr look like abberations.

Greystache
13-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Great win today, we simply wanted it more.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Great to see us nail the basic hard aspects of the game, it's baby steps but good result. Better use of the ball going forward, and we would've won by a result that was more reflective of our control of the game, rather than the modest 3 goal margin it was in the end.
The fact that North were still in it with 10 minutes to play, was a concern. And had they nailed one of their opportunities at that time, it would've been scary times.
It would've been an injustice to lose given how much we pantsed them in mostaspcets of the game.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Just coming back from game. north have great players but too many passengers. Very even effort by us.

Maddog37
13-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Hate Norf too so enjoyed today.

Vez is getting fitter and more confident. Very happy with Addison today. Thought Cross was great when everyone else was buggered.

Most exciting thing of the day.........Cordy taking marks!!!!

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Great win today, we simply wanted it more.

It was a great win. Full marks to Will Minson who dominated in the ruck with 34 hitouts. Liberatore and Wallis continued their improvement with good games. Dickson all class with an intelligent display up forward. Cordy played his best game for the club which is a good sign.

Twodogs
13-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Vez is getting fitter and more confident.

Yep. that trade is starting to turn in our favour

Very happy with Addison today.

You can see why his coached love him. He keeps running when it looks like a contest is over. Mostly you dont get rewarded for that but DFA did a couple of times today.

Thought Cross was great when everyone else was buggered.

Not just at the end of the game either. Crosssy did his best work in red time of all four quarters today. Cut off two promising North attacks just before halftime with contested marks.

His best game.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 06:11 PM
When our smaller forwards are outmarking their taller defenders, just shows how good the delivery going in was. Had a seat right behind the goals. Stacks on. Makes for very stop start first quarters, and the students I took today wondered whether it was a ball sport or a wrestling match.
But as a Bulldogs fan, what an exciting and enjoyable game to watch. It's almost as if BMAC has adopted a bit of leaf out of the book of rugby. Just didn't give them enough space for them to get their run and carry game in top gear. They missed some easy chances and we took ours. Each player played a part and our kicking was pretty accurate today. At last we had something to kick too. Gia and Dickson are very cool heads in the set shot department. Cordy has a very underrated quality. Toughness. He was slammed pretty badly a few times and just kept at it. Griff was supurb, outside and inside.

However we did drop away, almost letting them back in the door for a while and still lots to work on.

Greystache
13-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Sherman's work rate, particularly in the last quarter, was sensational

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:24 PM

How good was that second goal he kicked, using his pace.

Raw Toast
13-05-2012, 06:25 PM

ABC commentators raved all day about his work rate, and he seemed to cut down on the silly mistakes as the game went on. He's our best small crumber as well (Grant is still the best crumber at the club).

What did you think of Vez and his work rate?

Hotdog60
13-05-2012, 06:26 PM

He also missed some getable ones, could have finished with at least 4 goals.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Loved Sherman's game, he's making a massive difference to our side. His work rate has been fantastic, his pace is almost unrivaled on the footy field and he's making decent decisions with the ball in hand. His attack on the fotoy is VERY fierce too.

Higgins was good but that knock perhaps unsettled him a bit, but he's playing with more aggression.

Absolutely loved Wallis' game, I have been super critical of him but he has made me eat my words so far this season. Improving with every game, his work with Libba in close was superb.

Very proud of the side. Veszpremi had a good game, Austin played really well, Minson slaughtered North's rucks, Cordy was impressive, Lake and Griffen back to their best etc.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2012, 06:29 PM

He still lacks fitness, but it's much improved IMO.

Still think he's a bit soft in the contest and needs to improve defensively, but I liked that he took the game on.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:35 PM

Still think he's a bit soft in the contest and needs to improve defensively, but I liked that he took the game on.

Was his best game for us today. Seemed to run out of legs a few times. Loved that creative run through the middle to set up a goal in the third. Then tried it again but Cordy's handpass went astray.

I was not happy with Cross in the last quarter when he was on the wing and Vez was on his own about 60 metres out from goal and Cross refused to pass the ball to him. Cross stood there trying to make a decision looking around for alternatives and just ignoring Vez with Vez yelling for the ball, not 30 metres away directly in front of Cross. Cross ended up handballing to a stationary player and they got pinged. I thought if he gets the ball to Vez, he could run in and Kick one of his long bombs into goal.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 06:36 PM

I reckon he has confidence issues. His face betrays a bit of panic, when actually, he has a bit more space and time. I think he will settle and become a good player for us. Did well today. Is he a little short for the backline? Does some great things then makes a few fluffs.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Loved Sherman's game, he's making a massive difference to our side. His work rate has been fantastic, his pace is almost unrivaled on the footy field and he's making decent decisions with the ball in hand. His attack on the fotoy is VERY fierce too.

Higgins was good but that knock perhaps unsettled him a bit, but he's playing with more aggression.

Absolutely loved Wallis' game, I have been super critical of him but he has made me eat my words so far this season. Improving with every game, his work with Libba in close was superb.

Very proud of the side. Veszpremi had a good game, Austin played really well, Minson slaughtered North's rucks, Cordy was impressive, Lake and Griffen back to their best etc.

Minson won through pure strength today. Their rucks were a little taller ( ? ) and better in the air, but Minson just wrestled them to one side and got the tap. Well done Will.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 06:38 PM
ABC commentators raved all day about his work rate, and he seemed to cut down on the silly mistakes as the game went on. He's our best small crumber as well (Grant is still the best crumber at the club).

Behind the goals, I saw Sherman often walking when the ball was q not far away at all. This happened in the first half.
But he got into the game and was our Boomer Harvey.

G-Mo77
13-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Absolutely stoked with this win. I can't remember the last time I double fisted and yelled when the siren went. Really pleasing game overall but the last quarter I was very nervous. It seemed we tried to hang onto the win rather than take the win.

Our defensive efforts across the entire ground were terrific today. We hunted the ball carriers and put them under enormous pressure all day. Our back half is decimated by injury but we still got on top in that area. I love seeing a team work together as one and it seems like it's more cohesive each week.

Boomer Harvey again is going to be sleeping with one eye open worrying if Picken will come and say hello. I can't stand that little turd. If he spent half the energy he used to try and milk cheap free kicks and appeal to umpires he might be able to shake the tag.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 06:58 PM
To me it felt like the final siren went 5 minutes too soon. Sure it went 20 + time on?

G-Mo77
13-05-2012, 07:01 PM
To me it felt like the final siren went 5 minutes too soon. Sure it went 20 + time on?

I think it went about the 26 minutes mark. Seemed to go early but play rarely stopped during the quarter. Was it only 2 goals scored in the 4th?

Remi Moses
13-05-2012, 07:02 PM
The players were wonderful today.
Four players around the ball, great intensity, winning contested ball.
You can see the players buying into the coaches edict.
A quintessential team effort.
Norf = Treading Water:D

Greystache
13-05-2012, 07:16 PM

It's a real benefit having someone in defence who can kick, and his confidence up at the moment so is providing run and demanding the ball. His fitness is still limited but not so bad he's a liability, his main area for improvement is being a bit tougher in the air and around the contest. Overall I thought he worked hard and was very productive.

Drunken Bum
13-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Cordy has a very underrated quality. Toughness. He was slammed pretty badly a few times and just kept at it

He copped a huge hit right in front of us from Hmac, you could hear the thud as he collected him and i feared he may have broken him in half, but Ayce got straight back up, shook it off and carried on, taking a couple of great contested grabs later in the Q, quietly confident the kid is going to make it and be a pretty good player for us.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I think it went about the 26 minutes mark. Seemed to go early but play rarely stopped during the quarter. Was it only 2 goals scored in the 4th?

I thought that too.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I dont care what people think about Cross, but he is far and away the hardest, most courageous player I've ever seen.

Desipura
13-05-2012, 08:04 PM
I dont care what people think about Cross, but he is far and away the hardest, most courageous player I've ever seen..

I totally agree with you.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 08:10 PM

I totally agree with you.

I dont care what people think about Cross, but he is far and away the hardest, most courageous player I've ever seen.

Oh hear hear. the amount of times I pumped my fists in the air and shouted his name were numerous.
Had a fantastic game today and so balanced under pressure. Such a great mark for his size.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Loved the way Crossy back into packs today, besides a mini mark Petrie took over him time after time he puts his body on the line, cant fault him for lack of hardness.

So good to get a win over them, especially when living with a Norf supporter who thought it was in the bag. Shows how even the competition is this year between top 6, and then next 6-8

BulldogBelle
13-05-2012, 08:17 PM
He was trying to get himself killed today for the team. He was incredible. It's a shame he couldn't get more purchase on his second shot.

Any AFL club would love to have him, we're lucky.

BulldogBelle
13-05-2012, 08:17 PM
He was trying to get himself killed today for the team. He was incredible. It's a shame he couldn't get more purchase on his second shot.

Any AFL club would love to have him, we're lucky.

1eyedog
13-05-2012, 08:50 PM

Always knew he was going to be a good trade.

That's two if we count Vez. All eyes on Austin over the next couple of weeks, he was all over Edwards.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Didn't get to the game today, had other things on.
But was eagerly looking at live scores and stats on the iPhone.
Can't wait to watch the replay!
Macca has sold me with his game plan around Contestsd footy!

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 09:19 PM

His game plan slowly is coming to life. I met Macca at the East West day got his signature and he also gave a very good speech.

1eyedog
13-05-2012, 09:21 PM

All teams must be focusing on this though.

Macca's got them believing in themselves and playing as a team and they're probably getting more out of where they should be at because of it. These are his strengths IMO, player development (physical and mental) and selling the philosophy that each player is one component of a larger machine and that all components need to be working to make the machine move forward.

Full credit to the coach for today's effort and result.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 09:31 PM
All teams must be focusing on this though.

Macca's got them believing in themselves and playing as a team and they're probably getting more out of where they should be at because of it. These are his strengths IMO, player development (physical and mental) and selling the philosophy that each player is one component of a larger machine and that all components need to be working to make the machine move forward.

Full credit to the coach for today's effort and result.

Absolutely right!
And I think that is what we have needed...Concern and interest in the players' Mental Wellbeing.
Probably why Lake burnt out last season!

The other thing which was killing us early this season was disposal efficiancy. But now, sounds like they are being a bit smoother with their disposal and smarter with their decision making!

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Absolutely right!
And I think that is what we have needed...Concern and interest in the players' Mental Wellbeing.
Probably why Lake burnt out last season!

The other thing which was killing us early this season was disposal efficiancy. But now, sounds like they are being a bit smoother with their disposal and smarter with their decision making!

The disposal efficiency was really good today as that has been something lacking in our game. Matthew Boyd has 44 possessions but had a 50 percent disposal efficiency.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 09:44 PM
The disposal efficiency was really good today as that has been something lacking in our game. Matthew Boyd has 44 possessions but had a 50 percent disposal efficiency.

Its a real pity. Just imagine how good he would be if he could dispose the ball well.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Its a real pity. Just imagine how good he would be if he could dispose the ball well.

Like a Dane Swan who racks up a lot of balk but uses it very well.

azabob
13-05-2012, 09:47 PM

Does he?

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Does he?

Most of the time I would say. He is a very difficult player to tag.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 10:01 PM

I think Swanny uses it very well because he knows his limitations and plays within them. If you watch him closely a lot of his kicks are short, deft passes to players that are free. Too often Boydy tries to drill the perfect pass to a player in great field position but flanked by oppenents. Having said that, a heck of a lot of Boyd's possessions are long kicks out of congestion; hard to hit a target when you're blindly clearing a ball out of a big pack. Sometimes stats don't tell the full story in relation to a player's efficiency for the team.

Go_Dogs
13-05-2012, 10:08 PM
I was pretty impressed with Roughead today. Won't get the kudos Minson and Cordy will, but he's not far off tearing a game apart. Flew quite high a couple of times, and if he can start to clunk a few he's going to be a good marking target up forwards. He had 8 tackles today which is a huge effort, a number of repeat efforts too which was great to see.

azabob
13-05-2012, 10:31 PM
I was pretty impressed with Roughead today. Won't get the kudos Minson and Cordy will, but he's not far off tearing a game apart. Flew quite high a couple of times, and if he can start to clunk a few he's going to be a good marking target up forwards. He had 8 tackles today which is a huge effort, a number of repeat efforts too which was great to see.

Roughead's repeat efforts last week and running to the next spot was also good.

Should he be a bit further ahead of Cordy in terms of development? I still feel Cordy is a better contested mark than Roughead.

Do Cordy and Roughead take enough marks around the ground?

Either way both are progressing nicely.

Topdog
13-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Excellent win!!!

bornadog
13-05-2012, 10:59 PM

Yes he dropped a few he should have taken, but competed well. Those second efforts are what Macca is looking for.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 11:04 PM
How did people rate Higgins game today?

boydogs
13-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Dogs by 15 points
BOG Griffen
First goal Higgins (yes I cheated :D)

Pretty close :D

Great win today.

Great win dogs. So pleasing to see a 4 quarter effort.

Absolutely, we're not good enough to take our foot off the pedal, but it was well and truly on the floor all game today.

He's already a better mark than Minson and Roughead. Really exciting to see him clunk a few, hopefully he can stay in the side and produce like that every week now.

Minson won through pure strength today. Their rucks were a little taller ( ? ) and better in the air, but Minson just wrestled them to one side and got the tap. Well done Will.

North had more hitouts, but they do have quality rucks. I thought Minson competed well.

I don't trust his hands, something we've said about Minson for years and I'm not sure how much we have been able to improve him. Cordy looks more like a forward and Roughead more like a ruckman, but there's nothing wrong with that.

craigsahibee
13-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Fantastic win today.

Crossy was magnificent. Boydy was Boyd like all day. Wallis and Libba are going to be one hell of a midfield combination.

That Griffen bloke goes alright too.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 11:19 PM
How did people rate Higgins game today?

I thought he did really well. Kicked an early one, got another courtesy of Gia , missed a set shot, tackled well.
I think it's fair to say his tackling is much improved and is as good at running the other way as any of our forward players. Well done Higgo. If he can string a few like this in a row like this, few goals here, hard tackle there, that will be a massive. Almost got knocked out in a head clash with Burrito I think it was. Nasty, but kept going. Very surprised there was no blood. He's tough.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 11:22 PM
I thought he did really well. Kicked an early one, got another, missed a set shot, tackled well.
I think it's fair to say his tackling is much improved and is as good at running the other way as any of our forward players. Well done Higgo.

Agree there Ghost Dog. He is another player who does get criticised a lot and today showed that he has a lot of value to the team.

Dry Rot
13-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Listened to the game on ABC radio. Thrilled to listen to four quarters of committed hard footy which put us on top all day.

At the end of the game, they had a hard time describing who were the best Dogs players - there were so many of them they said.

Dry Rot
14-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Thoughts on Austin, Wallis and Cordy today?

Greystache
14-05-2012, 12:26 AM

Austin- Solid, spoiled well and took some nice marks. He's pushing for a permanent spot

Wallis- Outstanding, won the ball in close beautifully and used it with composure. Best game of his career and could pool Brownlow votes.

Cordy- Second half was very good, took some nice contested marks and looked like he belonged out there. His missed shot at goal was a horror though.

Dry Rot
14-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Austin- Solid, spoiled well and took some nice marks. He's pushing for a permanent spot

Wallis- Outstanding, won the ball in close beautifully and used it with composure. Best game of his career and could pool Brownlow votes.

Cordy- Second half was very good, took some nice contested marks and looked like he belonged out there. His missed shot at goal was a horror though.

Thanks.

Seems like our "Great Teacher" new coach actually is that, with younger players improving.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 12:42 AM

Austin is mobile for a defensive tall , clean hands off the ground , does have the odd problem with an experienced forward out positioning him , for example against Dawes he tried to change direction as the ball came in and Dawes pushed forward and marked in the goalsquare , against Edwards he tried to stay side on and Edwards found him to be a bit stronger than he looks , the main thing with young Mark is he is prepared to keep hustling even if his opponent gets the upper hand and if the ball hits the ground he's very good at getting his body in the way to either tap it out or handpass and thats why he had 7 1% stats , he may have only made one tackle but his job was to shut Edwards down and he did just that

Wallis just keeps improving , I thought he might have been the Sub but with Cooney out it seemed that he took Adams job but he played a bit closer to the contest , very solid stats , his two main improvements are his field vision and reading the play , several times he paused as he rushed a player to make sure he could make the tackle stick and he had 8 tackles for the match , he's getting better with body positioning at the contest so he can get to the ball first , for a young kid of only 20 ( I think he,s 20 ) he's got a future thats for sure

Cordy has been thrown from pillar to post for a while now , packing on the kilos and his body having to adjust , injuries and confidence slumps , since he came into the side to play forward he's been solid but not outstanding , his field vision is still a little short and he can be a little impatient with the ball but he's in the side to provide a contest and against North he gave just that , his 4 contested marks were almost a carbon copy of big Kosi the other night , Ayce is still young and the big fellas take some time but we are prepared to take the journey with him

Sockeye Salmon
14-05-2012, 01:04 AM

I was watching on TV and listening to the radio. The commentator said "we've played 9 minutes in the last" and the countdown clock said 12 minutes to go. The clock barely stopped for the first half of the quarter.

Dry Rot
14-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Austin is mobile for a defensive tall...

Thanks for that - it's a bit hard to get a grip on these things with a radio call.

Lucky me in Sydney - under the new TV deal I get to watch every Swans and GWS match, and not much else.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Oh hear hear. the amount of times I pumped my fists in the air and shouted his name were numerous.
Had a fantastic game today and so balanced under pressure. Such a great mark for his size.

B Mac is using him in a smarter way IMO. He might have a few years in them old legs yet!

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Totally agree - he was terrific and saved certain Norf goals a couple of times that I can recall. So courageous!

The whole team was fantastic and it just seems to me that what Macca is preaching is starting to click - they are playing for one another as a team, great intensity at the ball and wow, it's great to look at! Tough Bulldogs, finally I believe we are on the right track!