PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 8 vs Gold Coast

Greystache
13-05-2012, 02:58 AM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next weekend's match against Gold Coast in Darwin?

A brief explanation for your selections would be good.

GVGjr
13-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Can we make many changes? Is Austin doing enough to hold his spot?

azabob
13-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Can we make many changes? Is Austin doing enough to hold his spot?

I think Austin is getting better with each game, he now is starting to create as well as defend. Deserves his spot at this stage.

Maddog37
13-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Jones, Cooney at a minimum.

GVGjr
13-05-2012, 05:17 PM

You need to list a couple of outs to balance things.

Maddog37
13-05-2012, 05:21 PM
That's the trouble on today's effort. Smith and either of Ruffy or Cordy but on reflection maybe Jones will get a VFL game.

azabob
13-05-2012, 05:26 PM
That's the trouble on today's effort. Smith and either of Ruffy or Cordy but on reflection maybe Jones will get a VFL game.

I thought Cordy performed well inside our forward fifty. Is holding a few more marks than Jones?

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-05-2012, 05:33 PM

With all due respects the forward line looked a lot better without Jones. I would suggest just the one change next week with Cooney back to replace Smith.

Happy Days
13-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Anyone think DJ will come straight back?

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Is Austin doing enough to hold his spot?

High praise of Austin from Malthouse. I agree with azabob, he is getting better every week.

I would drop Smith and Roughead for Jones and Cooney

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2012, 06:23 PM
High praise of Austin from Malthouse. I agree with azabob, he is getting better every week.

I would drop Smith and Roughead for Jones and Cooney

What did he say BAD?

I'd drop Smith for Cooney.

The Cordy/Roughy/Minson combo has worked well the last two weeks.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:26 PM
What did he say BAD? .

My mate had the radio in his ear so I didn't hear it directly, but commented how well he was playing and spoiling the balls that never looked like they should have been spoiled.

I think Austin was very good last week and this. He is a good pickup and still only 23 for a big man.

azabob
13-05-2012, 06:28 PM
My mate had the radio in his ear so I didn't hear it directly, but commented how well he was playing and spoiling the balls that never looked like they should have been spoiled.

I think Austin was very good last week and this. He is a good pickup and still only 23 for a big man.

He also took a couple of nice marks. He appears to be stronger than he looks.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 06:50 PM
What did he say BAD?

I'd drop Smith for Cooney.

The Cordy/Roughy/Minson combo has worked well the last two weeks.

No way. Smith was right into it today. A good choice as sub. Needs urgent help with his kicking. Hard to understand how Dahlhaus can get so much distance while Clay can't.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 06:51 PM
With all due respects the forward line looked a lot better without Jones. I would suggest just the one change next week with Cooney back to replace Smith.

You're kidding me. If we had 1 decent tall forward in the first half we would have been 5+ goals in front.
Jones has to play. We have 4 developing talls there and he is the best of the lot ATM.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:52 PM
No way. Smith was right into it today. A good choice as sub. .

He had one disposal:confused:

G-Mo77
13-05-2012, 06:55 PM
It seems we're rotating players and Jones will be in. I don't think Cooney is any certainty to come straight back in either. He may need another week.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 06:56 PM

So what? He wrestled, jumped into it and put his head right in. Did you actually go to the game today? You can just see it in him, he looked as though if he had a bit longer on the ground, would be the kind of player who would push us over the line. He had one set shot, which he missed. Was not on the ground for long.

G-Mo77
13-05-2012, 06:56 PM

With relentless pressure and lets not forget that awesome tackle. He did a great job when he came on, stop looking at the stat sheet.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 07:03 PM
So what? He wrestled, jumped into it and put his head right in. Did you actually go to the game today? You can just see it in him, he looked as though if he had a bit longer on the ground, would be the kind of player who would push us over the line. He had one set shot, which he missed. Was not on the ground for long.

Give him the Rank Arena TV.

We were lucky the game became a dog fight in the last quarter.
The game suited him but he was nothing special. The possession was a free and he couldn't make the distance from 50.

Desipura
13-05-2012, 07:05 PM

I like he fact he does not give away a free in a marking contest, jumps with his opponent and does not touch his back with his hands.

Bulldog Joe
13-05-2012, 07:17 PM
This week requires player management considerations.

We have 2 6 day breaks as well as the trip to Darwin. I don't see how the players can be expected to come up for Geelong if they played today and front in Darwin.

Having said that, you can't rest them all.

This week I think Minson and Gia should be found with general soreness. Jones to come back and perhaps Cooney.

I won't be upset if we give Matty Boyd a spell.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Cooney back if he's right to go. Smith unlucky, but someone has to go. Didn't do a lot today, but didn't get much time, and was in his second game in two days :eek: I'd be tempted to leave Jones out, I think the forwards worked reasonably well together today. Cordy offered some good contests up there. Just think the way L-Jizzle (I like it!!) has been going, a spell at Willi might be good for him. Not sure where Marko is at.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 07:24 PM
I like the fact that Austin does not give away a free in a marking contest, jumps with his opponent and does not touch his back with his hands.

You can see his body positioning in this photo , his opponent was Dawes but he could see that Lake was out of position , made the punch and fended off Dawes at the same time

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=267741&postcount=4

When Markovic is back fit I,m not sure we can have Lake , Austin and Markovic in defense , if we did use the three talls in defense we would be solid but maybe a bit top heavy , I,d be happy to have all three as Austin has the flexability to play on a small and is clean off the ground

bulldogsthru&thru
13-05-2012, 07:47 PM
With the humid, slippery conditions in Darwin i dont think we will go with the Roughy-Cordy-Minson trio. Minson out if we rest him, otherwise Roughy.

Out: Roughead/Minson
In: Jones

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Give him the Rank Arena TV.

We were lucky the game became a dog fight in the last quarter.
The game suited him but he was nothing special. The possession was a free and he couldn't make the distance from 50.

Did you actually go to the game?
The dude had a pretty limited time on the ground. But he definitely has that Boyd like ability to arm wrestle the possessions our way. It's just his intensity and zest and not something easily seen on TV.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Yes I went to the game and saw Smith tackle, get a free and one kick. Thats all he did.

With relentless pressure and lets not forget that awesome tackle. He did a great job when he came on, stop looking at the stat sheet.

Don't need to look at the stat sheet for this one. I am not having a go at Smith, but can't believe the comments from GD:confused:

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes I went to the game and saw Smith tackle, get a free and one kick. Thats all he did.

Don't need to look at the stat sheet for this one. I am not having a go at Smith, but can't believe the comments from GD:confused:

On the third row perhaps? Was like a ferret in the 40 minutes of game time. Watched him very closely. Tried very hard to get into the game and with Mitch, Libba and Smith, opposition are going to have all kinds of migraines.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Did you actually go to the game?
The dude had a pretty limited time on the ground. But he definitely has that Boyd like ability to arm wrestle the possessions our way. It's just his intensity and zest and not something easily seen on TV.

I can ask the same question to you.

First Dahlhaus better than Libba or Wallis then Smith should stay in the side because he wrestled away 1 possession. We weren't lacking in intensity and zest before he came on.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 09:31 PM
He also took a couple of nice marks. He appears to be stronger than he looks.

Brendan McCartney mentioned Austin's good work in the press conference too.

GVGjr
13-05-2012, 10:02 PM
It's good to see some discussion on the potential outs for next week and no one so far has mentioned Addison.

hujsh
13-05-2012, 10:03 PM
No way. Smith was right into it today. A good choice as sub. Needs urgent help with his kicking. Hard to understand how Dahlhaus can get so much distance while Clay can't.

If not Smith who gets dropped?

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Addison! lol
No, as someone said, it will be dewy in Darwin and probably better off going with one less tall. Either Roughy or Cordy could have a rest.

westbulldog
13-05-2012, 10:11 PM
With the probable Darwin conditions in mind I would rest one tall and bring Smith in.

Doc26
13-05-2012, 10:16 PM
It's good to see some discussion on the potential outs for next week and no one so far has mentioned Addison.

Although there are no defenders currently standing to displace him.

Will make for an interesting discussion as to who makes way if and when Morris, Williams, Wood, Howard, even Markovic become available ( not incl. Gilbee) down the track.

What is pleasing is that Dylan is holding his own and that our defensive structure has been steadfast through adversity.

Regarding the OP and assuming Cooney is Ok.

Ins. Cooney, Jones
Out. Smith, Roughead (Rested)

Rocco Jones
13-05-2012, 10:44 PM
I get the feeling that B-Mac won't play marginal players if they have rather minor niggles, so it can be hard to accurately judge the ins and outs.

I agree with the small for a tall calls.

SlimPickens
13-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I like he fact he does not give away a free in a marking contest, jumps with his opponent and does not touch his back with his hands.

Morris like isn't it, I think some of the instruction he(morris) is giving our young defenders is really rubbing off. His ability to maintain position and pressure the opposition without infringing was fantastic today.

stefoid
13-05-2012, 11:01 PM
What happened tp Pearce?

Prince Imperial
13-05-2012, 11:25 PM
McCartney indicated that Djerkurra should be fit and I suspect if he is he will play in the NT conditions where he comes from. Might replace Smith.

Jones needs to find some form at VFL level and I'd give Cooney more rest rather than flying him to Darwin and back especially with just a six day break before Geelong.

Rocco Jones
13-05-2012, 11:26 PM
McCartney indicated that Djerkurra should be fit and I suspect if he is he will play in the NT conditions where he comes from. Might replace Smith.

Jones needs to find some form at VFL level and I'd give Cooney more rest rather than flying him to Darwin and back especially with just a six day break before Geelong.

Cooney has had a rest this week. Perhaps a sub vs GC?

Sedat
13-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Yes I went to the game and saw Smith tackle, get a free and one kick. Thats all he did.Haven't seen the game but Smith was credited with 4 tackles in 12 mins total game time. That's going at 32 tackles a match pace.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Haven't seen the game but Smith was credited with 4 tackles in 12 mins total game time. That's going at 32 tackles a match pace.

Very funny:D

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Haven't seen the game but Smith was credited with 4 tackles in 12 mins total game time. That's going at 32 tackles a match pace.

:) He'd also have 8 frees and 8 kicks at match pace.

Seriously the game suited him as it became more of a slog in the last quarter.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 11:47 PM

Jones does not need to find form in the VFL if he passes the medical he,ll play , I agree with giving Cooney another week off , DJ if he passes the medical most likely will replace Roughead who can have a rest , the humid conditions don,t really suit the big fellows so even if Markovic is passed fit he will probably play for Willi

Ghost Dog
14-05-2012, 12:04 AM
:) He'd also have 8 frees and 8 kicks at match pace.

Seriously the game suited him as it became more of a slog in the last quarter.

Level 1 seat Chops. But you didn't answer my question. Were you?
The kid was tearing at the bit to get the thing. He played in the VFL yesterday and still got picked. Comes on for 12 minutes? and lays four tackles, has a shot at goal, and that's bad?
Well here is what they said in theage.

They've shown plenty of grit, highlighted by substitute Clay Smith - now on the ground - who moments ago applied a great tackle and was rewarded with a free kick.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-centre/live-afl-north-melbourne-v-western-bulldogs-20120513-1ykga.html#ixzz1ukpuslHf

Libba and Mitch had outstanding games ( especially given how young they are. Incredible) and how you separate them depends on your perspective. It's very subjective. But, Dahlhaus was like a whippet, all night putting pressure on opponents and we badly need that leg speed. Unfortunately, stats don't tell the full story of pressure applied to opponents that create turnovers or stops the opposition from doing as they plan. Libba and Mitch will get plenty of votes I'm sure and they well deserve them.

G-Mo77
14-05-2012, 12:15 AM
What happened tp Pearce?

Yeah. I was expecting to hear him come into the side.

Prince Imperial
14-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Jones does not need to find form in the VFL if he passes the medical he,ll play , .

You're probably right about the second point but I disagree about the first. I thought we looked a lot better today without him and every game I've watched this year (which includes all the the pre-season ones but admittedly not the Adelaide game) he's really struggled.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 01:00 AM
You're probably right about the second point but I disagree about the first. I thought we looked a lot better today without Jones and every game I've watched this year (which includes all the the pre-season ones but admittedly not the Adelaide game) Jones has really struggled.

The game plan uses an oversize midfield with only two forwards , today we had Dickson and Gia as the forwards with Cordy and the others rotating through , 7 goals from our two forwards was a good return but that could only happen as we had control of the ball for long periods , Jones has suffered not from a lack of form but a lack of supply and a lack of support , Dickson was brought to the Club to give Jones that support he had a couple of games early to show him the standard required and then he went back to Willi to reinforce parts of his game , with Jones out he had to step up and provide a target and split his game 50/50 with offense and defense that fact that he scored 4 goals and made 8 tackles just shows his commitment to carry out his part of the game plan , when Jones comes back he and Dickson will be on the 50m arc and Gia on the 30m arc

Jones is probably the best contested mark at the Club , as Barry Hall said , its the most difficult thing to teach a young forward and Jones is a natural , he needs as much AFL game time as we can give him

Prince Imperial
14-05-2012, 01:51 AM
The game plan uses an oversize midfield with only two forwards , today we had Dickson and Gia as the forwards with Cordy and the others rotating through , 7 goals from our two forwards was a good return but that could only happen as we had control of the ball for long periods , Jones has suffered not from a lack of form but a lack of supply and a lack of support , Dickson was brought to the Club to give Jones that support he had a couple of games early to show him the standard required and then he went back to Willi to reinforce parts of his game , with Jones out he had to step up and provide a target and split his game 50/50 with offense and defense that fact that he scored 4 goals and made 8 tackles just shows his commitment to carry out his part of the game plan , when Jones comes back he and Dickson will be on the 50m arc and Gia on the 30m arc

Jones is probably the best contested mark at the Club , as Barry Hall said , its the most difficult thing to teach a young forward and Jones is a natural , he needs as much AFL game time as we can give him

Whilst I don't doubt that Jones has had a difficult task, his form has been poor. His disposal has been very ordinary and his defensive pressure hasn't been there (just 7 tackles in 6 games). He's not the only player we have to develop and it's important we build confidence in the rest of the team that must have been dented by playing with someone who is showing very little. Jones has some talent but it has to be more than clunking the occasional contested mark. I think he's at a stage where other parts of his game (leading and disposal) would develop more at a lower level.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Whilst I don't doubt that Jones has had a difficult task, his form has been poor. His disposal has been very ordinary and his defensive pressure hasn't been there (just 7 tackles in 6 games). He's not the only player we have to develop and it's important we build confidence in the rest of the team that must have been dented by playing with someone who is showing very little. Jones has some talent but it has to be more than clunking the occasional contested mark. I think he's at a stage where other parts of his game (leading and disposal) would develop more at a lower level.

I think too much has been made of Cordy's game and the other tall forwards that played yesterday.
Whilst Cordy had a very good second half and Roughead might of held his own in the ruck. Our tall forwards were almost non existent especially in the first half.
If Jones is out of form then it doesn't say much about the other 2/3 with Grant.
No tall forward we have ATM will prosper given they are in a development stage. We should really be playing 1 or 2 max not 4.
Jones has the most talent/natural forward and we have given him the biggest task. He has had a rest, we should play him.

Not sure what he would get at Williamstown competing with plenty of others for the same position in a team that's a bit of a rabble ATM.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 01:33 PM
In: Jones, DJ
Out: Roughead, Smith

Jones is our brightest key forward prospect at this point in time and given he pulls up fully fit should be given a chance against a less-than-solid GC defence. The conditions up in Darwin should really suit DJ so he comes in for Smith (unlucky to miss out). Roughead out because I couldn't see us playing in the humidity up there with 3 ruckmen and Ayce showed a bit against North. Howie to come back through Williamstown and Cooney to have another week off due to the 6 day break before Geelong.

always right
14-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Agree with Roughy out and keeping Cordy in due to Cordy's superior ground level skills. Have been pleased with Roughy's progress this year...leaving aside that dropped mark in the first quarter. At least he tried to take it in his hands but he can't afford to drop lace out passes like that.

I think Jones and Cooney will be rested again so DJ the only inclusion. McCartney to show faith in the blokes who produced on the weekend.

Driver Leader
14-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Generally the Darwin game is almost a wet game with the dew as the evening progresses, maybe worth looking at DJ for Roughead if available. Cooney should be rested in any case.

bornadog
14-05-2012, 03:00 PM
This week is indigenous round, so may be nice to have our two boys up there, Jones and DJ

Rocco Jones
14-05-2012, 03:28 PM
This week is indigenous round, so may be nice to have our two boys up there, Jones and DJ

Definitely would be nice and I am into that sweet kind of stuff :) but obviously it has to be purely merit based.

I would play the pair either way. Jones for Roughy makes sense to me. As I said in the Liam thread, hopefully Ayce and Dickson will offer more support to Jones in different ways. Jones also gives us some fresh legs.

On wider team selection issues, I would have an eye on a two week plan. I am definitely not saying take our eye off the ball as despite our improvement in form, I still believe we have a tiny margin of error and can lose to anyone. It's just that consecutive 6 day breaks with Darwin in between is a crazy schedule.

I would really look at 'resting' fringe type players with niggles, which I think B-Mac believes in anyway. Willy play on Sunday as well, leaving a 5 day break. I would also look at not playing a couple of guys to freshen things up for our game vs Geelong.

Ozza
14-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Hopefully Cooney is back.

I guess it will be a couple of days before we know who has pulled up sore from the game and will be missing a week - there's usually one or two that don't make the trip to Darwin.

In a perfect world - Cooney is back in. And Jones.

I'm not against playing Smith again - given he'll get suitable conditions...I think his 10 minute performance is pretty irrelevant.

I don't think we can take 3 rucks to Darwin, would be leaving out Roughead. Grant had some good patches in the game - but he might be unlucky and miss.

In: Cooney; Jones
Out: Roughead, Smith or Grant.

If there's a sore body - happy to see Djerkerra back in.

Axe Man
14-05-2012, 05:56 PM
I spotted Liam Jones dashing into Etihad yesterday at considerable pace, attempting to avoid being soaked by the rain squall that blew through shortly before the match. Seemed to be moving OK to me, should be good to go this week.;)

G-Mo77
14-05-2012, 07:37 PM
I spotted Liam Jones dashing into Etihad yesterday at considerable pace, attempting to avoid being soaked by the rain squall that blew through shortly before the match. Seemed to be moving OK to me, should be good to go this week.;)

He walked past me pretty wet so it must have been shortly after you saw him. :D

Hotdog60
14-05-2012, 07:50 PM
It's a pity Skinner isn't having a better time at Willy, taking him to Darwin might have been an advantage, meaning didn't he play a bit of footy in the darwin league.

AndrewP6
14-05-2012, 07:51 PM
It's a pity Skinner isn't having a better time at Willy, taking him to Darwin might have been an advantage, meaning didn't he play a bit of footy in the darwin league.

How would it be an advantage to us?

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Yes , if Skinner was in good form he would be in the mix to go to Darwin

Greystache
14-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Ins- Jones, DJ
Outs- Roughead, Smith

With the humid conditions we can probably manager with one ruck and Cordy pinch hitting and playing forward. Roughead was pretty good but Cordy is the more natural forward and is better at ground level which is where the ball will probably spend quite a bit of time.

Edit- Cooney has been ruled out

Hotdog60
14-05-2012, 08:00 PM
How would it be an advantage to us?

I said if he was in better form, but the advantage would be the conditions. Wouldn't the local comps play most of their footy under lights with the dewy ball. you can never under estimate local knowledge in most sports.

azabob
14-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Cooney to miss this week also.

AndrewP6
14-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Decision made for us on Coons...

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/135775/default.aspx

Tom Williams progressing well, apparently six weeks away.

jeemak
14-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Jones for Roughead. Not that Roughead has done a great deal wrong.

Minson to shoulder the majority of ruck work, and each of Cordy and Jones to run through there as well in spurts.

Jones might enjoy a bit of a run on the ball to free him up a bit, and I think Cordy still needs to gain some AFL experience in the ruck from time to time.

We need to be switched on this week, seriously switched on.

Eastdog
14-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Jones for Roughead. Not that Roughead has done a great deal wrong.

Minson to shoulder the majority of ruck work, and each of Cordy and Jones to run through there as well in spurts.

Jones might enjoy a bit of a run on the ball to free him up a bit, and I think Cordy still needs to gain some AFL experience in the ruck from time to time.

We need to be switched on this week, seriously switched on.

Absolutely. No such thing taking it lightly even against GWS and Gold Coast and we found that out in the first quarter against GWS when we were asleep. Cooney I hope can come back into the side soon but his knees could well cut his career should which is unfortunate.

stefoid
14-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Grant didnt get a huge heap of the ball, but when he was in the vicinity, he was good. Good intensity and good use - 10/13 possessions contested.

I think he is going to make it as a bit of a late bloomer. I reckon he is responding to McCartneys new regime and methods, and just has to learn a bit more. Hes 22 remember.

bornadog
14-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Grant didnt get a huge heap of the ball, but when he was in the vicinity, he was good. Good intensity and good use - 10/13 possessions contested.

I think he is going to make it as a bit of a late bloomer. I reckon he is responding to McCartneys new regime and methods, and just has to learn a bit more. Hes 22 remember.

Watching the replay you can see his intensity has risen. He was very good in the third quarter and no doubt did the job he was asked to.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Ins- Jones, DJ
Outs- Roughead, Smith

With the humid conditions we can probably manager with one ruck and Cordy pinch hitting and playing forward. Roughead was pretty good but Cordy is the more natural forward and is better at ground level which is where the ball will probably spend quite a bit of time.

Edit- Cooney has been ruled out

Roughead had looked better than Cordy before the North game. I would retain Roughead and send Jones back to Williamstown to find some form. DJ's form wasn't too bad before the weekend and would be a good replacement for Smith.

EasternWest
15-05-2012, 12:39 AM

Watching the replay you can see his intensity has risen. He was very good in the third quarter and no doubt did the job he was asked to.

That's funny. I just watched the replay and was thinking how Grant got better as the game went on. Popped up all over the ground too.

Probably still like him to use his speed a bit more, but thought he was pretty good on the whole.

Mofra
15-05-2012, 10:29 AM
His tackling has been much better this year, he's 22 with the body of a 15 year old.
He'll be a player

Ghost Dog
15-05-2012, 10:36 AM
His tackling has been much better this year, he's 22 with the body of a 15 year old.
He'll be a player

The hoops look ready to slide of the kid. He did look far more up and about in the game than I have seen him in the past. Probably knows he is at risk of never seeing light of day in the seniors if he doesn't show a bit more intensity.

Maddog37
15-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Grant is a bit of a mystery isn't he. He has speed, height and good hands. Skills are ok if not text book. He certainly does a few dinky little touchs etc that suggest to me he has a little but of magic.

My guess is that he is a very late maturer mentally and still lacks confidence and belief in himself. I did notice him having a bit of a chat to some of the North guys when they made a mistake and he seems to be able to get under their skin quite well. Certainly seems like he has a rock star attitude with a buskers record sales at times and it is taking time for him to get the mix right.

He has massive upside for mine.

LostDoggy
15-05-2012, 11:57 AM
We only need one of Roughead, Cordy and Jones. I really don't care which one as long as there is only one.

Handling the pill up there is like handling a bar of soap.

We have played there enough to understand this.

G-Mo77
15-05-2012, 01:51 PM
We only need one of Roughead, Cordy and Jones. I really don't care which one as long as there is only one.

Handling the pill up there is like handling a bar of soap.

We have played there enough to understand this.

Maybe we go without Jones and one of Cordy/Roughead and bring in another small.

Just throwing that out there. Thoughts?

jeemak
15-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Forgot about DJ, if fit I think he should be taken to Darwin.

I don't like the idea of losing a smaller versatile player though, and I don't like the idea of Jones having to play considerable amounts of game time in the ruck if Cordy misses.

All of a sudden we are searching for players to drop.......not a bad problem to have I suppose.

I'd be happy enough if one of Cross, Boyd, Griffen, Higgins or Gia was rested this week if we really wanted to squeez DJ in.

Cyberdoggie
15-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Any chance Skinner?

His form doesn't warrant it i know but if you were picking someone based on their familiarity with the ground it would be a good experience for him.

bornadog
15-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Any chance Skinner?

His form doesn't warrant it i know but if you were picking someone based on their familiarity with the ground it would be a good experience for him.

Yes good point but does his form warrant a trip? It is against a team full of kids so may be a good way to show him the level he has to achieve.

LongWait
15-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Yes good point but does his form warrant a trip? It is against a team full of kids so may be a good way to show him the level he has to achieve.

Yep. The positives might outweigh the negatives of giving Skinner a trip north.

I just don't see Skinner as the type to dominate VFL games to the point where he demands a senior game, and yet he seems to have some qualities to suggest he might make an impact at AFL level. Low posessions but high impact.

Ghost Dog
15-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure. Is where he is originally from a tropical climate or a dry climate ( desert-ish? )
He had a bad time in the wet the other day, and the NT game is always a bit of a slip and slide.
Still, would be a good motivator for him! And the locals will beam, seeing him on the field.

bornadog
15-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Yep. The positives might outweigh the negatives of giving Skinner a trip north.

I just don't see Skinner as the type to dominate VFL games to the point where he demands a senior game, and yet he seems to have some qualities to suggest he might make an impact at AFL level. Low posessions but high impact.

Yes I understand what you mean. There are some players that are like that.

I would be happy if he came in to the seniors and kicked 2 goals a game (44 for the season) and laid on plenty of tackles. That's all you can ask of the forwards.

LostDoggy
15-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Any danger he doesn't come back? Or we leave there?

bornadog
15-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Any danger he doesn't come back? Or we leave there?

He would be a long way from home. Isn't he from the other side of Broome?

1eyedog
15-05-2012, 04:15 PM
You can't pick an Indigenous player just because it is Indigenous Round or from the state/territory you are playing in. I remember Wallace dropping Tambling for Indigenous round a few years back. If the player deserves a spot in the team they will be picked. I get the feeling that Macca will be staunch on this. It does not set a good example to other players at Williamstown if players are continually picked on reputation or any other reason other than form.

Why doesn't every Williamstown player get a shot of playing an AFL game and getting first hand experience of what it takes at the top level?

Ghost Dog
15-05-2012, 04:32 PM
You can't pick an Indigenous player just because it is Indigenous Round or from the state/territory you are playing in. I remember Wallace dropping Tambling for Indigenous round a few years back. If the player deserves a spot in the team they will be picked. I get the feeling that Macca will be staunch on this. It does not set a good example to other players at Williamstown if players are continually picked on reputation or any other reason other than form.

Why doesn't every Williamstown player get a shot of playing an AFL game and getting first hand experience of what it takes at the top level?

It's interesting to discuss, but at the end of the day, what you say 1eyedog is right on the mark.

G-Mo77
15-05-2012, 06:04 PM

We got him from the NTFL. Not sure on where he was born though.

Personally if he was playing good enough I'd play him but from what I have seen and read he's been playing to spotty and not putting it together consistently to warrant a selection.

Greystache
15-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Personally if he was playing good enough I'd play him but from what I have seen and read he's been playing to spotty and not putting it together consistently to warrant a selection.

His form against Port was poor, and he didn't do much on the weekend, although in the last quarter German threw him into the ruck and he had a big impact. Not enough to warrant promotion for me though.

AndrewP6
15-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Zeph's from Noonkanbah, a remote community 400-odd kms inland from Broome,WA.

azabob
15-05-2012, 07:49 PM
His form against Port was poor, and he didn't do much on the weekend, although in the last quarter German threw him into the ruck and he had a big impact. Not enough to warrant promotion for me though.

Cue RJ and his second ruckman debate. :D

LongWait
15-05-2012, 08:05 PM

Your point is well made.

I fear though that if we ever wait for Skinner to absolutely demand promotion with his VFL form, then he will never play another AFL game. If that was the only selection criterion he would probably still not have played a senior game. Perhaps that would be a shame - there are a lot of players who get promoted into the AFL team from lots of clubs who haven't dominated at VFL level for weeks prior. Sometimes they are a revelation. We need some X-factor badly.

1eyedog
15-05-2012, 08:06 PM
It's interesting to discuss, but at the end of the day, what you say 1eyedog is right on the mark.

He would know that he probably doesn't deserve a run himself, although I'm sure he would appreciate it and give the game his best shot. I work intimately with indigenous people across the county and the resounding theme I hear back is equality for all. He wouldn't want special treatment because it was indigenous round. I can see Zeph being on the emergencies and probably even going to Darwin, but for mine he hasn't earned a spot and I think everyone knows that.

1eyedog
15-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Your point is well made.

I fear though that if we ever wait for Skinner to absolutely demand promotion with his VFL form, then he will never play another AFL game. If that was the only selection criterion he would probably still not have played a senior game. Perhaps that would be a shame - there are a lot of players who get promoted into the AFL team from lots of clubs who haven't dominated at VFL level for weeks prior. Sometimes they are a revelation. We need some X-factor badly.

Yes I understand the position, Jurrah is a case in point.

azabob
15-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Yes I understand the position, Jurrah is a case in point.

Correct, Jurrah isn't up to AFL standard even with his X Factor.

Eastdog
15-05-2012, 08:19 PM

A bit off topic of player but what is your opinion on a player like Mitch Banner do you think he would be good in our side.

Ghost Dog
15-05-2012, 08:39 PM

Dunno - I watched him play in the VFL against Box hill and he's more up to it than a lot of blokes in their senior side!!:eek:

Went down to Ballarat at the start of the season and watched him play. Keen as mustard and I have no fear he will languish in the VFL. The kid has spirit and his head won't be bowed. He just loves to play. Just get that vibe about him. Remember too, as fans, we have to encourage him. So I hope to get down to more willy games and give him a good rev up.

He'll have to train really hard so he can be ready when a slot opens up - if it does. The other time I have seen him is in the wet, and not a good day for his style of play.

Desipura
15-05-2012, 09:14 PM
A bit off topic of player but what is your opinion on a player like Mitch Banner do you think he would be good in our side.
Would rather Eric Bana.

G-Mo77
17-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Jones and DJ in. Roughead and Vez out.

Remi Moses
17-05-2012, 07:28 PM

Have you been listening to that idiot who calls SEN?
Mark from Bacchus Marsh. Banner is a list clogger

G-Mo77
17-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Also to note on the team selection Zeph Skinner has been named an emergency.

bornadog
17-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Roughead and Vez both injured?

I wonder if Roughie did his calf last week

LostDoggy
17-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Roughead and Vez both injured?

I wonder if Roughie did his calf last week

Yeah AFL site says Roughie (Calf) Vez (Groin)

G-Mo77
17-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah AFL site says Roughie (Calf) Vez (Groin)

Judging by most of our selections you could change Calf and Groin to rest.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Seems to me that B-Mac is using the fringe players to freshen up the side. For the last few weeks, 2-3 fringe players have come out of the side with 'injuries' only for them to come back in a week later.

BulldogBelle
17-05-2012, 08:19 PM
In fairness, I did notice Vez stretching his groin out on a number of occasions in the second half last Sunday... both on the field and also when he was on the interchange.

Raw Toast
17-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Seems to me that B-Mac is using the fringe players to freshen up the side. For the last few weeks, 2-3 fringe players have come out of the side with 'injuries' only for them to come back in a week later.

In fairness, I did notice Vez stretching his groin out on a number of occasions in the second half last Sunday... both on the field and also when he was on the interchange.

I'm sure both have niggles (and hope it is only that), but really like the way B-Mac is rotating players through and I would like them and Cooney coming into the Geelong game with decent rest.

LostDoggy
17-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Not a bad move putting Sherman back with Pat V out , Dahlhaus has been doing well in the midfield but spending more time forward will help with pressure and crumbing , Smith most likely will be the Sub again

I,m not sure if its a good idea or not to Sub Minson in the third , that would mean Cordy has to ruck and get to contests in the 4th and his tank might be nearly empty , we might want to keep the Big Unit fresh but its asking a lot from Cordy

Rory Thompson could give us a few problems if he spends some time forward , he probably would,nt mark just tap it down to players like Ablett and Bennell

LostDoggy
17-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm sure both have niggles (and hope it is only that), but really like the way B-Mac is rotating players through and I would like them and Cooney coming into the Geelong game with decent rest.

This is how I've been reading it as well RT, and I like it. I also like the way our young guys have been getting extended runs.

1eyedog
17-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Congratulations Griff on 150 games this week, here's to another great 150!