PDA

View Full Version : Who went today?

GVGjr
13-05-2012, 05:13 PM
It doesn't seem like our supporters are going to games at the moment.
If you didn't can you list the reason why.

If you are an interstate or overseas supporter there is no need to respond.

Multiple answers are OK.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
13-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Going to Darwin

Twodogs
13-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm a single dad I've got two kids who I care for fulltime. It's just too hard to organise to either take them or have them looked after. Next year they'll be old enough to leave at home by themselves.

In fact I probably should be playing soccer in the backard right now.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I was there. Disappointed the roar for Norf seemed much bigger than ours.

GVGjr
13-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm a single dad I've got two kids who I care for fulltime. It's just too hard to organise to either take them or have them looked after. Next year they'll be old enough to leave at home by themselves.

In fact I probably should be playing soccer in the backard right now.

I've added an option to cover that.

I'm really interested in why people are dropping off us because I thought we were great today and well worth watching.

Does being on Live TV change things for anyone?

Scraggers
13-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Read the poll before the instructions :o

If I could go, I would be at every game ... regardless !!

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 05:23 PM

I'm really interested in why people are dropping off us because I thought we were great today and well worth watching.

I definitely think to a certain extent live TV plays apart. It is not the same though as actually being there where you would get the atmosphere.

chef
13-05-2012, 05:23 PM
No. Did plan too(my wife wanted to go as part of her mothers day present) but had under 15's netball on this morning with my two daughters playing in the same team.

The Underdog
13-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I was packed and ready to go, but my wife was sick and given it's mother's day, leaving her with 3 kids alone while sick wasn't really the right thing to do. I'm gutted I missed being there.

azabob
13-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I only went today as I was lucky enough to get tickets through work. Normally I don't go to away games due to the cost.

GVGjr
13-05-2012, 05:25 PM
No. Did plan too(my wife wanted to go as part of her mothers day present) but had under 15's netball on this morning with my two daughters playing in the same team.

Family reasons make sense but I'm guessing so many people who wouldn't miss a game a while back now look for reasons not to go.

1eyedog
13-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Not everyone has FOXTEL though. I think the weather also kept a lot away today, waiting for trains in 13 degrees with sideways rain doesn't appeal to a lot of people.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 05:28 PM
What was the official crowd attendance at today's match?

KT31
13-05-2012, 05:29 PM

I thought the same watching on TV.

Twodogs
13-05-2012, 05:31 PM

Yes if there wasnt live coverage I would have went. I just would have found a way. Just as I would have if it were our homegame.

Not everyone has FOXTEL though. I think the weather also kept a lot away today, waiting for trains in 13 degrees with sideways rain doesn't appeal to a lot of people.

I dont have Foxtel...

bornadog
13-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Mothers day matches never draw a crowd. I went and loved the game.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 05:39 PM
With it on tv I do prefer to stay home. I'm not getting much enjoyment out of going live ATM, that might change in the future, but as I get older I also get a bit lazier, funny thing is this is the first year I have bought a reserved seat.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-05-2012, 05:45 PM
What was the official crowd attendance at today's match?

The crowd was around 20880. Mother's Day and a wet and cold day would have been strong contributing factors. I would have thought that after our effort last week against Collingwood that it might have attracted a bigger crowd particularly as it was a substitute match for Bulldog members.

angelopetraglia
13-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Very rarely miss a game. But could not make it today due to Mother's Day commitments.

Just another example of the AFL helping the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. StKilda V Carlton is on Monday night due to Mothers Day. Why not play Essendon Vs an interstate side on Mothers's Day? Yet again we are on the receiving end of a bad fixture for generating interest and support for our club.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I went but wouldn't be surprised if people were turned off because of the weather.

Max469
13-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Had to be content listening to radio due to work from home commitments.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Kindly got some tickets from North Melbourne via their 'Hub' for 5 of our students and myself. One thing they do very well is draw in supporters from international student organisations. In return my students have to write 200 words about their day. Going to teach them some special expressions, like 'Wilbur! and Crossy!!' Thanks North!
They think our game is a bit mad.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Haven't been to a game this year as I gave up my seat but kept membership as I thought we would be moved interstate by this time 2012. We are still going but it's going to be later now. I got Foxtell so I could watch the boys once I knew we would still be in Melbourne for a while yet.....

Raw Toast
13-05-2012, 05:59 PM
I was packed and ready to go, but my wife was sick and given it's mother's day, leaving her with 3 kids alone while sick wasn't really the right thing to do. I'm gutted I missed being there.

Almost the same, except it was me with the fever - gutted for a few reasons, including that I was going to take both kids, and it was going to be the youngest one's 1st ever game (she was pumped as well).

Don't have Foxtel so it is not playing a role in whether I attend games.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Mothers Day lunch in Brighton , I tried to get it moved closer to the city say Etihad Stadium , no dice , their are all St Kilda supporters , I had to watch a live stream on my laptop while fending off my brothers sons

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Two of normal four went (Dad and son), the mum and daughter stayed home

Bulldog4life
13-05-2012, 06:08 PM
We go most weeks but due to a "Mother's Day" lunch couldn't get there today. Weather usually doesn't stop us if it is at Etihad. Didn't find out the score till I sat back in my car, turned on SEN and heard a Norf supporter going crackers at coach Scott. You gotta love the Norf supporters. I always enjoy beating Norf mainly because of their supporters.Looking forward to watching replay on Foxtel tonight at 11.30.

chef
13-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Family reasons make sense but I'm guessing so many people who wouldn't miss a game a while back now look for reasons not to go.

That's true, but if I live a little closer to Melbourne I would have gone afterwards.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Poor crowd.

I went and loved it -- one of the more enjoyable games I've been to for 2 or so years.

Before I Die
13-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I went. Yes it was cold and wet outside, but you can't beat a roof at the footy. Not a lot of Dogs supporters at the game, though the colours can be hard to spot in amongst the Norf fans.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Anyone who took the trains in what was the supporter number like on your line. Was it mix of North and Bulldogs or did North or Bulldogs have more on a particular line.

soupman
13-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Sort of related to this how lanme was their "roar'o'meter" at the start of every quarter. Made me appreciate that we have actually drastically impoved our use of social media and the scoreboard.

We still have that lame James Sherry (?) guy that everyone seems to get stuck with, but our use of twitter and facebook is far imroved and little things on match day like the way we read out the players are awesome.

Love the gradual counting up of players with the cool looking images, much better than out of focus profile shots.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Anyone who took the trains in what was the supporter number like on your line. Was it mix of North and Bulldogs or did North or Bulldogs have more on a particular line.

Train in from South Yarra and pretty even mix of both supporters, but train empty compared to other weeks.

GVGjr
13-05-2012, 06:40 PM

70% North fans when I went in

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:40 PM

Wasn't only today. Last weeks game against Collingwood, is the lowest crowd against them for a very long time.

G-Mo77
13-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Yep got there today. My birthday present came one day early. :)

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 06:45 PM
70% North fans when I went in

I would have though probably an even mix. But as bornadog said it was quite empty on the trains.

Scraggers
13-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Yep got there today. My birthday present came one day early. :)

And mine came one day late :D

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 06:47 PM
what was the official crowd attendance at today's match?

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I would have though probably an even mix. But as bornadog said it was quite empty on the trains.

Didn't seem that way from my seat.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Didn't seem that way from my seat.

He means on the train in, not at the ground.

jeemak
13-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Lunch on the Peninsula for mothers day. Getting back up to Melbourne prior to the 20 minute mark of the final quarter didn't suit me, so I sat around with the family and watched the second half.

Disappointed, would have gone otherwise.

Chicago1
13-05-2012, 06:51 PM
*sigh* I wish I could have gone. Maybe next year. *sigh* :(

I was able to watch online! :p

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Not many Dogs supporters on my train, although it wasn't that crowded in the first place.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 06:55 PM
He means on the train in, not at the ground.

Oh. :o

Train wasn't that crowded, not many Dogs in my carriage though.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 06:56 PM
The Triple M commentators were saying it was our lowest attendance v Norf since 1995 (which apparently was at the Whitten Oval)

Remi Moses
13-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Personally went today.
Really the only matter is people need to purchase a membership.

Doc26
13-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Having arranged a Mothers Day brunch beforehand, went with my father and thoroughly enjoyed what we put out on the park today.

We might not be around come September ( the Team, not my father and I) but is still rewarding to watch and support the development of the younger players whilst seeing a team both learn and adhere to a new game plan and structure.

Is pleasing to watch this group play for each other and work with discipline to a plan. Today emphasised how much can be had when a group works for each other and holds to a solid plan even with a lack of 'stars' running around.

We caught a rather empty train in and out. Was surprised the attendance hit the 20k mark.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Was there.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Having arranged a Mothers Day brunch beforehand, went with my father and thoroughly enjoyed what we put out on the park today.
We might not be around come September but still exciting to watch and support the development of the younger players whilst seeing a team both learn and adhere to the latest game plan and structure. Is pleasing to watch this group play for each other and work with discipline to a plan.

We caught a rather empty train in and out. Was surprised the attendance hit the 20k mark.

Lots of people have said today the trains were empty but what about last couple of weeks have they been more fuller when you have gone?

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Loved to have gone, Under 14 football on at the same time. Have to do the Mum thing and stand in the rain and cold watching my sons Under 14 c team get thumped.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Lots of people have said today the trains were empty but what about last couple of weeks have they been more fuller when you have gone?

Yes, packed last week.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 08:01 PM
BTW Lots of supporters from both clubs, with bulldogs having more on the train to the ground.
Although given it was the werribee line, thats probably to be expected.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Yes, packed last week.

Thats understandable for today that it wasn't packed as it was Mothers day. When you went last week was it an even mix or was it taken over by black and white.

Desipura
13-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I was there in aisle 15 on ground level, alot of Norf supporters near us making the win a little more sweeter!

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Thats understandable for today that it wasn't packed as it was Mothers day. When you went last week was it an even mix or was it taken over by black and white.

Lot of B&W, but a lot not in team colours too!

NoName
13-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I only went today as I was lucky enough to get tickets through work. Normally I don't go to away games due to the cost.

Are you a member, because today was the replacement match.

I went, along with my family and I even had a Aunty, Uncle and 2 cousins come down from Wodonga for the day.

Sedat
13-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Mother's Day matches are the only games I miss in Melbourne due to family commitments. Glad it was our away game so Norf suffered instead.

azabob
13-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Are you a member, because today was the replacement match.

I went, along with my family and I even had a Aunty, Uncle and 2 cousins come down from Wodonga for the day.

Yes I am a member, but I don't like the third level.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Yes I am a member, but I don't like the third level.

I upgraded my membership for a Lv 2 seat at no cost.

azabob
13-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I upgraded my membership for a Lv 2 seat at no cost.

Really? Was not aware of that. Will need to remember for next year. Thanks.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I upgraded my membership to Level 1 seat for no cost as well. Was in Aisle 46 Row A great view when ball was up our end.
Train trip had more Bulldogs than North supporters both ways but was the Werribee line. Last week I think our supporters outnumbered the Pies ones too.

jazzadogs
13-05-2012, 10:11 PM
I prefer the view from Level 3, wouldn't want to upgrade to level 1 (would take level 2 though!)

Went today, only time I will miss games in Melbourne is when they are on Saturday arvos, because I'm playing football.

Don't think the club did a particularly good job of informing people this was a replacement match.

SonofScray
13-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I went today, sat on L3. Hung up a few flags as I do most weeks but had an overzealous security guard demand I take them down. The 2cm of fabric that was hanging below the ledge was blocking the view from an empty corporate box.

gohardorgohome
13-05-2012, 10:21 PM
I coach the local Gisborne Under 12s. We had a clash of times this week. It would be nice to play a few Saturday games. I'm getting very poor value from this years membership.

The Adelaide Connection
13-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Flew over for the weekend and was really quite shocked with the crowd, regardless of mothers day and bad weather, considering almost 60,000 members had the right to free entry.

Just a small idea I had is at the end of the game, when they traditionally give out footys, I would like to see our boys handing out junior membership packs (with say a 5 free game membership card). They would need to validate it with their details online and any that attend all 5 games go into a special prize pack draw at the end of the year.

This will be a win-win in that if they aren't already a member it sows the seed and probably drags dad or the family along to a few more games. If they are already a member they could use it to bring a friend along which is obviously also beneficial. 300 packs all up would not be a huge figure (15 or so games in Melbourne x 22 players) and you are likely to see some of that money come back through the gate from tickets of the family members. Short term it is exposing more young kids to the footy, whilst decked out in the Bulldogs gear they received, and hopefully long term it will help build the membership base. You could also ask people to sponsor the programme.

The only drawback is it would have been much more powerful a few years ago when we had a high win ratio.

Sockeye Salmon
13-05-2012, 10:26 PM
I didn't go. The pup cracked it as we were about to leave and refused to go. The bride was at work so we stayed home and watched a stream.

Half way through the 3rd quarter he said, "why wouldn't you let me go to the Bulldogs today?".

Kids like winners.

Eastdog
13-05-2012, 10:32 PM
I didn't go. The pup cracked it as we were about to leave and refused to go. The bride was at work so we stayed home and watched a stream.

Half way through the 3rd quarter he said, "why wouldn't you let me go to the Bulldogs today?".

Kids like winners.

Finding a stream is great especially if you don't have Foxtel.

strebla
13-05-2012, 10:34 PM
No spent the morning and early Arvo with a sick girlfriend and then off to see my mum don't go to away games even if it's a replacement game.

Sockeye Salmon
14-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Finding a stream is great especially if you don't have Foxtel.

Finding a stream is not too hard, it's just usually disgraceful resolution and full of pop-up ads

dadsgirl16
14-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I was there and lucky enough to score Medallion Club tix...great day!!

Ozza
14-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Was there, level 2 behind the goals.

Very enjoyable day.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I had lunch with my grandmother, aunts and great-aunts for Mothers Day. Love my footy but my Nan may not be around forever. Thinking of ducking up to Sydney in June to atoneā€¦

Murphy'sLore
14-05-2012, 11:35 AM
This was the first game we've been able to get to all year. Can't do night or twilight games as it's too late for the kids, and afternoon games in Melbourne are few and far between. (Round 1 had to go to a friend's birthday - not happy)

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 12:02 PM
I prefer the view from Level 3, wouldn't want to upgrade to level 1 (would take level 2 though!)

Went today, only time I will miss games in Melbourne is when they are on Saturday arvos, because I'm playing football.

Don't think the club did a particularly good job of informing people this was a replacement match.

I agree. I actually phoned the club last Monday to check if it was a replacement game. They didn't send an email out until Wednesday. Also, luckily friends had heard somewhere that if you usually have a reserved seat & went to the ticket box, you could get a free upgrade to a seat on level one. Sat in aisle 46, row C and loved it! This also was not well publicised (if at all) by the club.

It was nice to see my first win of the season, really enjoyed singing the song after the game!! :)

bornadog
14-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I agree. I actually phoned the club last Monday to check if it was a replacement game. They didn't send an email out until Wednesday. Also, luckily friends had heard somewhere that if you usually have a reserved seat & went to the ticket box, you could get a free upgrade to a seat on level one. Sat in aisle 46, row C and loved it! This also was not well publicised (if at all) by the club.

It was nice to see my first win of the season, really enjoyed singing the song after the game!! :)

I ddin't know that and I have two seats reserved:mad: Anyway, didn't matter the stadium was half empty.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 12:40 PM
I ddin't know that and I have two seats reserved:mad: Anyway, didn't matter the stadium was half empty.

Exactly, it was not publicised at all. Not sure where our friends heard about it but I was happy that I got to sit on level one as I thought I'd be heading up to level 3.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I've had horrendous value from my membership for years -- Sunday arvos are just stupid. I know they have to schedule them there but it's like our default time. If even die-hards can't make it regularly on Sunday afternoons, what chance us getting any new fans?

Ozza
14-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I've had horrendous value from my membership for years -- Sunday arvos are just stupid. I know they have to schedule them there but it's like our default time. If even die-hards can't make it regularly on Sunday afternoons, what chance us getting any new fans?

Why is it harder - in general - for supporters to get there on Sunday's as opposed to Saturday's?

Sockeye Salmon
14-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Why is it harder - in general - for supporters to get there on Sunday's as opposed to Saturday's?

Kids footy is Sundays

Murphy'sLore
14-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Sunday night is a school night.

Ozza
14-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Kids footy is Sundays

Adults footy/ and under 19s footy - is Saturday's at 2pm (or up until 2pm if you're resereves player) though.
I haven't been to a Saturday arvo game in years (this will be my first year for a while). At least most kids footy is finished in the morning.

And plenty of people (particularly many tradies) have work on Saturday's.

People have their reasons for not getting there at different times - and I understand for the 4:40pm game some families don't like to do. But a 1pm or 2pm Sunday game is no more or less convenient generally speaking, surely.

Ozza
14-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Sunday night is a school night.

Fair enough for the 4:40 game - but it doesn't stop you for a 1.10 or a 2.10 does it?

Murphy'sLore
14-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Fair enough for the 4:40 game - but it doesn't stop you for a 1.10 or a 2.10 does it?

No, and it didn't yesterday, we went.

Doc26
14-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Also, luckily friends had heard somewhere that if you usually have a reserved seat & went to the ticket box, you could get a free upgrade to a seat on level one. Sat in aisle 46, row C and loved it! This also was not well publicised (if at all) by the club. :)

Never knew about this arrangement and would've saved me a nose bleed if I had.

Given our replacement games are not likely to threaten a record attendance level nor be against Collingwood it's good to know that a section is being allocated for our reserve seat holders.

Suz32, where is Aisle 46 located ?

The Pie Man
14-05-2012, 04:13 PM

It was a replacement home game though, so if a member it was free entry.

I hardly ever go to away games either

It was the perfect storm yesterday - Mother's Day & rain, though 20K is massively disappointing anyway. The replacement home game doesn't seem to pull in the punters (forget yesterday - I've gone to most replacement games over the years and anecdotally I can say we have't gotten the numbers to them) and I can't figure out why. Is it that the arrangement isn't promoted heavily enough?

If only 3/4 of members from both clubs show up yesterday, it's in the mid 40K range.

I'm glad Mum was happy for a Mother's Day breakfast yesterday - horendous scheduling from the AFL

Eastdog
14-05-2012, 04:19 PM

It was the perfect storm yesterday - Mother's Day & rain, though 20K is massively disappointing anyway. The replacement home game doesn't seem to pull in the punters (forget yesterday - I've gone to most replacement games over the years and anecdotally I can say we have't gotten the numbers to them) and I can't figure out why. Is it that the arrangement isn't promoted heavily enough?

If only 3/4 of members from both clubs show up yesterday, it's in the mid 40K range.

I'm glad Mum was happy for a Mother's Day breakfast yesterday - horendous scheduling from the AFL

After our performance last week against the Pies I thought more would come and it would be push to about 30k. Our membership though is now over 28,000.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 04:49 PM

It seems like we play most years on Mothers Day or Fathers Day or both. How about the AFL giving that game to some of the 'rich' clubs for a change? :(

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Never knew about this arrangement and would've saved me a nose bleed if I had.

Given our replacement games are not likely to threaten a record attendance level nor be against Collingwood it's good to know that a section is being allocated for our reserve seat holders.

Suz32, where is Aisle 46 located ?

Yes, I'm glad I heard about it, but it wasn't promoted at all that I know of. An email/SMS from the club would have been handy.

Aisle 46 is at the Bourke Street end, 2 bays from behind the goals/Bulldogs cheer squad. Walked straight in through the gates from the station and aisle 46 was straight ahead.

Eastdog
14-05-2012, 04:58 PM
It seems like we play most years on Mothers Day or Fathers Day or both. How about the AFL giving that game to some of the 'rich' clubs for a change? :(

Also I reckon Anzac day every year should be different teams in it. The reason why they don't is they know certain clubs won't draw 80,000 to the MCG.

The Coon Dog
14-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm finding it harder to get to games now played during the day.

On Saturday mornings my son umpires under 18's footy in the WRFL & I have taken up goal umpiring. Sometimes I get double headers doing the under 18's & reserves which finish at around 2pm.

On Sunday's Ryan is mentoring junior umpires which means we have to be at the ground at the ungodly hour of 8.20am. He then either umpires the under 11/12's or 13/14's & then finishes off with the under 16's which only start at 2pm.

I spent all day at Werribee South yesterday & it was freezing! Wind & rain coming in off the sea made it feel like it was only about 5 degrees.

GVGjr
14-05-2012, 07:38 PM

On Saturday mornings my son umpires under 18's footy in the WRFL & I have taken up goal umpiring. Sometimes I get double headers doing the under 18's & reserves which finish at around 2pm.

On Sunday's Ryan is mentoring junior umpires which means we have to be at the ground at the ungodly hour of 8.20am. He then either umpires the under 11/12's or 13/14's & then finishes off with the under 16's which only start at 2pm.

I spent all day at Werribee South yesterday & it was freezing! Wind & rain coming in off the sea made it feel like it was only about 5 degrees.

Do you find you are missing getting to watch the Dogs as much TCD or is the Junior football more than filling the void?

Sockeye Salmon
14-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Do you find you are missing getting to watch the Dogs as much TCD or is the Junior football more than filling the void?

I can't speak for Baz but for the Ashwood U9's would take precedence for me

LostDoggy
15-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Didn't go and haven't been all year - still have (and will continue to have) reserved seat memberships. Can't put my finger on the cause of my lack of enthusiasm which started last season but I loathe the AFL expansion policy. Maybe this despondency will pass with time as I get used to these so called franchise teams. I watched the game live (Foxtel), recorded it and have watched it several more times - the Doggies played really well and the love for the red, white and blue still flickers. I suppose I will vote for losing my love for the game ... but think it may be a little more complicated than that.

Ghost Dog
15-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Didn't go and haven't been all year - still have (and will continue to have) reserved seat memberships. Can't put my finger on the cause of my lack of enthusiasm which started last season but I loathe the AFL expansion policy. Maybe this despondency will pass with time as I get used to these so called franchise teams. I watched the game live (Foxtel), recorded it and have watched it several more times - the Doggies played really well and the love for the red, white and blue still flickers. I suppose I will vote for losing my love for the game ... but think it may be a little more complicated than that.

I guess after losing Ward, I felt a bit the same. But I have to say, something very special is happening under Brendan McCartney. He has inspired this group and some of the acts of courage in our last game were just astounding.
Today I went to Maccas, where I can read the papers and savored every single photo and report
Watching them play as they did was immensely satisfying. Wasn't just the win, but the way we won, as a whole, integrated team - the whole hamburger - Quality Forward, quality backline with the meat in the center, a ball hungry ripper of a midfield. And with so few of us fans there.
Hope you can come and join us sometime Ms Bulldog.

jeemak
15-05-2012, 04:14 AM

Well I know who we can blame in future years when we get stiffed by the men in white! :)

Seriously TCD, I think it's great your youngun has decided to have a crack at the whistle. It must take a lot of courage for him to do so, and in the process he's probably learning A LOT about the behaviour of just about every age group that decides to leave their respective hovels on a weekend.

Not sure what the numbers are like with respect to participation, though I'd assume you're family is probably in the higher percentile when it comes to umpiring.

Good stuff to you and the family for supporting the local game. It's bloody important that somebody does it, across all areas.

jeemak
15-05-2012, 04:37 AM

None of what you've said is irrelevant. It's completely undertandable to be honest, and the fact you still support the club through buying a reseved seat is admirable, as many others wouldn't do so if they're not going to get to games weekly, if at all.

For the time being, I won't buy a reserved seat membership, don't think I ever will. I'll keep buying memberships, and I'll get to games as often as I can though I just like having the flexibilty of walking around to various areas of the ground and standing where I feel most comfortable. I have a regular area around isle 36 that I prefer though (sorry to those supporters around that area however, you'll be happy to know I don't like foul language and player bashing).

I'll also donate to the club when they give me a call on the mobes ad-hoc. I've dropped more than my membership costs in a season more than once in multiple donations in the past, and while I can afford it I'll do it again.

Right now I want to get to games because there's no expectation on the team to perform. Even though I get frustrated at games with the various issues our side has currently, I'm loving the fact we're building towards something again. For some reason it's more enjoylable (and stress free) to see us playing the players we are now rather than dealing with a side that's on the precipice of a top four spot and maybe a premiership chance only to be disappointed again.

Call that a lack of expectation if you will, call it a fear of failure. I couldn't care less. But for the reasons you've mentioned above, and the fact it's a crap and uneaven league in which we're competing we have our backs to the wall. I like that, and one day I'll see that backs to the wall mentality rewarded with a flag.......but only if I keep following.

The Coon Dog
15-05-2012, 09:11 AM

As someone who had never missed a game in Victoria for about 15 years straight at one stage I thought I'd be shattered about missing Dogs games, but surprisingly I'm not.

Obviously I want to support my son & that takes precedence. It was nice on the weekend to listen to the game on the radio, then go home & later that night watch the replay.

I'm really enjoying the grass roots feel that local footy has.

Maddog37
15-05-2012, 10:56 AM
My young fella has just started playing under tens this year and even though I am not a morning person I jump out of bed at 7am on Sunday mornings to go and watch him play.

It brings back all the feelings of being a kid and simply enjoying the game for what it is without all the AFL guff.

I was sick of turning up to Dogs games and watching softish insipid performances with no passion, flair or excitement. Lately, the way we are playing, win or lose is changing that and I am looking forward to seeing more games if this honest approach continues.

Call me a fairweather supporter but I still fork out over a grand each year for family gold memberships and reserve the right to go to games or not as I choose without justifying it to anyone.