PDA

View Full Version : Playing our home games at the MCG

Eastdog
14-05-2012, 09:58 PM
After seeing some posters speak about Etihad and the way they treat the supporters I was thinking that if we played home games at the MCG we would get more money and not be ripped off. What do you guys think? Could this be something we could do in the future transfer to the home of footy the MCG.

AndrewP6
14-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Don't know all the ins and outs of it, but I don't think it'd work. We can't fill Etihad, it'd look ridiculous at a stadium that fits twice as many. I can't see that being financially viable either, I'd imagine the overheads of running a game there would be enormous.

Eastdog
14-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Don't know all the ins and outs of it, but I don't think it'd work. We can't fill Etihad, it'd look ridiculous at a stadium that fits twice as many. I can't see that being financially viable either, I'd imagine the overheads of running a game there would be enormous.

It could attract a lot more people compared to what we draw at Etihad. Did you also say Andrew that even if we fill Etihad then we still wouldn't get good value.

AndrewP6
14-05-2012, 10:28 PM
It could attract a lot more people compared to what we draw at Etihad. Did you also say Andrew that even if we fill Etihad then we still wouldn't get good value.

Yeah I think that's something to do with the stupid deal we have.

If we can't fill Etihad, what would make tens of thousands more to come to the 'G ?

Eastdog
14-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Yeah I think that's something to do with the stupid deal we have.

If we can't fill Etihad, what would make tens of thousands more to come to the 'G ?

I think Sunday was an exception in that we drew a very poor crowd but the last week against the Pies we got 38,000 and in the past have got over 40,000 when we were doing well. I just saying that with the MCG we can get a better deal. How come our deal at Etihad is so bad. What's Essendon's deal at Etihad like?

jeemak
14-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Eastdog the unfortunate reality is we'll have to play where the AFL tells us we'll have to play.

If they want us to fill one third of the G up every second week then we'll have to do it. If they want us to play at Etihad and have our supporters get treated in a second hand manner and pay $6.50 for 750ml of water then that's what will happen.

Essendon's deal at Etihad is superior to ours for a number of reasons. They had greater negotiating power due to their ability to draw a crowd, they probably had more savvy negotiators working for them when the deals were struck, and it is likely they didn't receive prejudicial treatment from the stadium managers when the initial negotiations were taking place. Because we had no alternatives in Melbourne we were working from a weak position to begin with.

It's a complex subject mate, though that's how I see it at a basic level. The sad part is that we get the rubbish deals, we play there every week give or take, and our supporters put a lot of money through the gates of the venue however, when it gets sold to the AFL for $1 in 2025 (I think that's correct) we'll pretty get the same benefit from its use from then on as the rest of the competition.

Eastdog
14-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Eastdog the unfortunate reality is we'll have to play where the AFL tells us we'll have to play.

If they want us to fill one third of the G up every second week then we'll have to do it. If they want us to play at Etihad and have our supporters get treated in a second hand manner and pay $6.50 for 750ml of water then that's what will happen.

Essendon's deal at Etihad is superior to ours for a number of reasons. They had greater negotiating power due to their ability to draw a crowd, they probably had more savvy negotiators working for them when the deals were struck, and it is likely they didn't receive prejudicial treatment from the stadium managers when the initial negotiations were taking place.

It's a complex subject mate, though that's how I see it at a basic level. The sad part is that we get the rubbish deals, we play there every week give or take, and our supporters put a lot of money through the gates of the venue however, when it gets soldto the AFL for $1 in 2025 (I think that's correct) we'll pretty get the same benefit from its use from then on as the rest of the competition.

That's is the problem we don't get the crowds in and that means like you said jeemak that we are always behind the 8 ball when doing deals. I think your right about 2025 when the AFL takes control of it so that's another 13 years away.

chef
15-05-2012, 08:58 AM
We would better off playing all our home games against interstate sides at Kardinia Park(not that the AFL we let us though) and the rest at Etihad. We are getting a better deal now but you still need the 35,000+ to make any money and we still struggle to get that. Etihad aren't going to hand us money on a plate, we have to earn it.

SonofScray
15-05-2012, 09:35 AM
The MCG would be the end of us. This current stadium deal has threatened to be the end of us. ES is perfect from a brand and geographical perspective for us. We just need to get a better deal, or the AFL to change their policy.

Sockeye Salmon
15-05-2012, 09:55 AM
The MCG would be the end of us. This current stadium deal has threatened to be the end of us. ES is perfect from a brand and geographical perspective for us. We just need to get a better deal, or the AFL to change their policy.

And Etihad would do this because ,,,?

bornadog
15-05-2012, 02:59 PM

Collo loves us:D

Sedat
15-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd love to schedule 2 home games at the MCG a year against Collingwood and Hawthorn, and preferably earlier in the season to take advantage of the better weather. We would have more crowd upside in generating revenue from opposition away supports from these clubs, who would probably fork out to see their team at their traditional home ground instead of at Etihad. What we might lose in 'home ground' advantage, we make up for it by playing at a ground that suits our team better. And it happens to be the best damn stadium in the world and the ground where finals are played. Schedule the rest of our home games at that soulless cesspool Etihad Stadium if need be.

The boutique stadium discussions for North Melbourne rail yard seem to have gone quiet - for the life of me I don't understand why we don't get proactive and commence discussions with the AFL to develop the Whitten Oval precinct as the 3rd stadium in Melbourne. It has outstanding public transport availability (unlike the only other viable option, Princes Park), solid capacity for car parking and is located less than 5kms from the heart of the city. This topic has been discussed before (Lantern gave some good perspectives into the feasibility of such a venture) and it is something that a proactive, visionary club could potentially get off the ground. Purse strings are tight at state and federal govt level but if you don't ask, you don't get....Campbell Rose didn't die wondering when it came to our elite training facillity.

Sydney Bulldog
15-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I'd love to schedule 2 home games at the MCG a year against Collingwood and Hawthorn, and preferably earlier in the season to take advantage of the better weather. We would have more crowd upside in generating revenue from opposition away supports from these clubs, who would probably fork out to see their team at their traditional home ground instead of at Etihad. What we might lose in 'home ground' advantage, we make up for it by playing at a ground that suits our team better. And it happens to be the best damn stadium in the world and the ground where finals are played. Schedule the rest of our home games at that soulless cesspool Etihad Stadium if need be.

The boutique stadium discussions for North Melbourne rail yard seem to have gone quiet - for the life of me I don't understand why we don't get proactive and commence discussions with the AFL to develop the Whitten Oval precinct as the 3rd stadium in Melbourne. It has outstanding public transport availability (unlike the only other viable option, Princes Park), solid capacity for car parking and is located less than 5kms from the heart of the city. This topic has been discussed before (Lantern gave some good perspectives into the feasibility of such a venture) and it is something that a proactive, visionary club could potentially get off the ground. Purse strings are tight at state and federal govt level but if you don't ask, you don't get....Campbell Rose didn't die wondering when it came to our elite training facillity.

I wholeheartedly agree with that.

The MCG is far too big for our supporter base and it would be great to return to our spiritual home at the Whitten Oval.

LostDoggy
15-05-2012, 06:14 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with that.

The MCG is far too big for our supporter base and it would be great to return to our spiritual home at the Whitten Oval.

The first step in that direction would be to get as big a crowd as possible to Whitten Oval on Sunday May 20th , the more the merrier as its free entry , bring your neighbours bring your friends bring everybody

Just a thought we could do a WOOF meet and greet at the after function at the Mona Castle Hotel 53 Austin St Seddon

http://www.williamstownfc.com.au/events.php?cat_id=1&id=251

SonofScray
15-05-2012, 09:55 PM

Assuming the AFL takes over earlier than expected, which has been touted I'd think that some of the blatant conflict of interest type things that see Carlton get a advantageous deal at the expense of others would be reigned in enough that we'd have some chance of improving our position.

Eastdog
23-05-2012, 02:25 PM

I reckon we should play if not every home game but a few home games at the MCG each year. St Kilda have played a home game their this year and their home ground is Etihad. It is a great stadium and playing home games against those clubs with big supporter bases as you said Sedat is a win win for us. I'm sure everyone wants to play Collingwood at the MCG as they know they will always get big crowds.

Eastdog
31-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Once we are able to re-negotiate a deal with Etihad again possibly we could strike a deal with the MCG to play a few home games there. If we could get over 40,000 members in the future hopefully this could be a possibility. The key is that we pull in the crowds to our games so we can be at least considered.

KT31
31-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Our supporters are fair weather enough, imagine if they had to be exposed to the elements.

w3design
02-11-2014, 01:43 AM
I have thought kardinia park could be a good fit for a couple of home games per season. Geographically friendly for Dogs collective and also convenient for supporters in southwest of state who travel long distances to get to games. I am a bit biased being from the southwest but interested to know opinions.

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 01:58 AM
I have thought kardinia park could be a good fit for a couple of home games per season. Geographically friendly for Dogs collective and also convenient for supporters in southwest of state who travel long distances to get to games. I am a bit biased being from the southwest but interested to know opinions.

It would have been but if Ballarat's ground can be bought up to scratch then with our new association with the City of Ballarat, I'd rather we head down Ballarat rd. than Geelong rd.

w3design
02-11-2014, 02:10 AM
Fair call Twodogs, but i could catch the train to the Cattery

w3design
02-11-2014, 02:13 AM
I went to NAB cup game against North at Ballarat couple of years ago, didnt get a very good view of game

Eastdog
03-11-2014, 05:49 PM
I believe it doesn't matter whether clubs draw crowds or not I think each club should get a reasonable amount of games at the MCG. Victorian clubs especially should be playing a good amount there as when finals come that is where they will be at.

Twodogs
03-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Where are you catching the train from Haberb?

Happy Days
03-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Stop trying to make Geelong games happen. It's not going to happen.

westdog54
05-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Ballarat would be a train/bus combo.

If we were to go ahead with this I would be hoping that either the league or the club put on buses from Ballarat Station to the ground, its a good couple of kilometres walk otherwise.

Twodogs
06-11-2014, 08:49 PM
They should run a few buses from Bendigo as well.