PDA

View Full Version : A Message From Brendan McCartney - Round 7

bornadog
15-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

15th May, 2012

Dear Member,

It is already Round Eight believe it or not, this season has just flown by and we are a third of the way through it.

I must say I really enjoyed seeing the reaction of our members and fans at the football on Sunday afternoon after the win against the Kangaroos.

I think there was a feeling of appreciation for what the players had demonstrated and their commitment to winning contested ball, tackling and putting immense pressure on the North Melbourne Football Club.

They are a club that we respect and we were certainly aware of what their strengths were — we were able to get the game where we wanted off the back of some strong team discipline however.

I spoke at length to the group after the game about how proud I was of our senior players. They lead their younger teammates and I think I can speak for all of you that you got a little bit of a snapshot of what some of our young players are going to become.

I think you saw how strong they are going to be around the ball and how relentless they will be with their pressure. You probably also saw a look into the future of some of our taller players who are getting more confidence to jump at the ball.

I have used the term a ‘work in progress’ and we are in a number of areas but we are going to hold firm to our belief that if we are not a contested ball and defensively minded Club then we stand for nothing — that’s the trademark of what we do and off the back of it we will score and our forward line will continue to operate and become more efficient and learn.

We have a challenging couple of weeks in front of us, two short weeks - an interstate trip against Gold Coast Suns in Darwin and a very strong, proud club in two weeks’ time who’ve had some pressure put on them in Geelong.

We know there is a lot of tough work in front of us but what has really pleased the coaching staff is that the players are now week in week out starting to learn to train well, prepare well, live well and give themselves the best opportunity to play good footy.

Thanks for your support on the weekend and we hope to keep living up to your expectations and ambitions.

Sincerely,

Brendan McCartney

Cyberdoggie
15-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Great to see these letters just don't come out after poor losses, ie excuses.

bornadog
15-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)
Thanks for your support on the weekend and we hope to keep living up to your expectations and ambitions.
Brendan McCartney

Expectation a premiership:D

AndrewP6
15-05-2012, 11:37 PM

We know there is a lot of tough work in front of us but what has really pleased the coaching staff is that the players are now week in week out starting to learn to train well, prepare well, live well and give themselves the best opportunity to play good footy.

This bit comes across as odd to me. He's said similar things previously - 'starting' to do this or that. To me it comes across as a shot at the previous coaching panel i.e.... they weren't training, preparing, living well before he arrived.

Maybe it's just me, but that's how it comes across.

Greystache
15-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I really enjoy these weekly emails from McCartney, it's a nice initiative from the club/coach

westdog54
16-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Great to see these letters just don't come out after poor losses, ie excuses.

Agree 100%. First thing I thought when I saw the thread title.

This bit comes across as odd to me. He's said similar things previously - 'starting' to do this or that. To me it comes across as a shot at the previous coaching panel i.e.... they weren't training, preparing, living well before he arrived.

Perhaps morale was a bit down given the tumultous finish to last season?

Or maybe we're both reading too much into it.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-05-2012, 02:17 AM
When I think of how poor we used to be in terms of positioning, and mentally -- it makes me wonder if Eade was an average teacher who was a matchday genius.

Collingwood might just have the right role for him.

Remi Moses
16-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Comes across as a real gent does Brendan McCartney.
Impressive

NoseBleed
16-05-2012, 02:58 AM
I think Eade was a wonderful coach for us for a good few years, and I'll always appreciate what he did for us. I think he came to us already holding the magic that is "Power of Command", and was therefore able to implement anything we could afford, simply because he said it was good for us

I think everything McCartney has said or been reported to say so far is indicative of us having a new leader, who is building his powerbase through his words and actions, and who, if he continues to hold the players trust (which it seems he has) will have built a new structure from the inside out, and I think thats an exciting possability.

N.B.

Maddog37
16-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Agree 100%. First thing I thought when I saw the thread title.

Perhaps morale was a bit down given the tumultous finish to last season?

Or maybe we're both reading too much into it.

This^^:D

G-Mo77
16-05-2012, 10:17 AM
He was talking about Grant on MMM before the game on Sunday and said something about his development and how he had to start from scratch in quite a few areas.

1eyedog
16-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Not at all, just starting to do it the way Macca wants it done. It's not worse or better it's just a different expectation.

LostDoggy
16-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Maybe that's exactly what he meant.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Sorry, but can I just show a bit of unabashed love for our coach? He has the communication thing down pat.
Well done team + coach on achieving the greatest differential in possiessions in our club's history.

1eyedog
16-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Sorry, but can I just show a bit of unabashed love for our coach? He has the communication thing down pat.
Well done team + coach on achieving the greatest differential in possiessions in our club's history.

Agreed, it's a bit like he's Dad to 30,000 people :)

Cyberdoggie
16-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Not at all, just starting to do it the way Macca wants it done. It's not worse or better it's just a different expectation.

Exactly, i've heard him speak around the subject of the previous coach a few times and he's always been very respectful towards Rocket, i don't think he means to question the past, more improve for the future.

Again, two different coaches, a different era, thinks are getting more professional all the time and the club has to keep adapting and improving.

LostDoggy
16-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Expectation a premiership:D

THIS. This.

LostDoggy
16-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Well done team + coach on achieving the greatest differential in possessions in our club's history.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+7+North+Melbourne+v+Western+Bulldogs+A3IZfWcJ06Hl.jpg

Some of the shots I,ve seen of him during the breaks when the groups split up between coaches after the main talk , General Mac comes over and has a word with one or two players , just to make a point or give them a pat on the back

AndrewP6
16-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Maybe that's exactly what he meant.

Well, if so, it's a cheap shot IMO.

always right
16-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Well, if so, it's a cheap shot IMO.

I don't don't think it's in his character. I think you can safely let it go. (this sounds like I'm being facetious.....not my intention)

Before I Die
16-05-2012, 08:33 PM

I don't think he is talking about the senior contingent, ie Cross, Boyd, Gia etc. He is referring to the younger brigade and if Rocket was still there he would most likely be making similar statements.

AndrewP6
16-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't don't think it's in his character. I think you can safely let it go. (this sounds like I'm being facetious.....not my intention)

Hahaha... I'm not laying awake at night thinking about it!:)

Remi Moses
16-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Gee, some here making mountains out of the proverbial molehills.
Rocket did a very good job.
I was most impressed in the fact that with his Job in the balance he continued to play young players. He affectively put his ego in the back pocket!
Unlike a former coach( the one who said this was the worst Dog side since 96!)

Ghost Dog
16-05-2012, 11:20 PM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+7+North+Melbourne+v+Western+Bulldogs+A3IZfWcJ06Hl.jpg

Some of the shots I,ve seen of him during the breaks when the groups split up between coaches after the main talk , General Mac comes over and has a word with one or two players , just to make a point or give them a pat on the back

Gia doesn't look to sure about that. Waiting for the slap over the back of the head.

AndrewP6
16-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Gia doesn't look to sure about that. Waiting for the slap over the back of the head.

Or worrying about his hair being so untidy;)

BulldogBelle
17-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Gee, some here making mountains out of the proverbial molehills.
Rocket did a very good job.
I was most impressed in the fact that with his Job in the balance he continued to play young players. He affectively put his ego in the back pocket!
Unlike a former coach( the one who said this was the worst Dog side since 96!)

Your forgetting about Rhode

Daylight between him and the other 3 coaches mentioned

Ghost Dog
17-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Your forgetting about Rhode

Daylight between him and the other 3 coaches mentioned

At least Terry donned the tri colours.
did Bmac say Grant had to start from scratch in a few areas Gmo77?
Right on.I am guessing it is the defensive side of his game.