PDA

View Full Version : Courageous players and acts

Twodogs
16-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I didnt want to derail the WOOF player award voting thread but I wanted to talk about courageous players and gutsy things you've seen on the field.

Tony Liberatore was the most courageous player I saw. He'd take knock after knock but never took a backward step. Daniel Cross isnt far behind, Terry Wallis always put his head over the footy despite some horrific knocks to the head and Steve Wallis handed knocks out and took them without ever flinching.

Scott Wynd was also very brave going back into the hole.

Yes. His did that time after time. It must have taken amazing courage when you consider that he was almost killed in a ruck contest against Carlton at Princes Park in the early '90s. It was early in the game and I think it was Justin Madden's elbow that hit Wynd in the throat. Scotty lay in the centre circle twitching and turning blue. It was awful to see and I'm amazed at the guy's guts that he would drift backwards into the paths of blokes like Lockett and Dunstall for years after without flinching.

Mofra
16-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Cross will be remembered as being very, very, very close to Libba in terms of courage.

On the weekend he ran back with the flight of the ball into Petrie's path a number of times and always goes in head first into packs.

bornadog
16-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Libba's last game said it all about his courage. He was unbelievable especially considering his size.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Libba's last game said it all about his courage. He was unbelievable especially considering his size.

Actually it was his size that often saved him. A number of times, opponents lined him up and he kind of rolled with the punch, or was able to duck under the force. Mike Tyson is a boxer who showed, a smaller opponent can often have an advantage in terms of gravity center. Libba showed this too.

LostDoggy
16-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Great article on Tony , there's a line there that I can use for a scarf design , I,ll do that later

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-man-and-his-dogs-20111216-1oyym.html

" None of Us Is As Good As All of Us "

always right
16-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Libba was tough but when it comes to courageous acts I don't think Crossy has a peer. It's has to be Cross first...daylight second when it comes to courage.

LostDoggy
16-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Libba was tough but when it comes to courageous acts I don't think Crossy has a peer. It's has to be Cross first...daylight second when it comes to courage.

Crossy is a nutter , no fear at all , just puts his body on the line and whatever happens happens

http://images.triplem.com.au/2010/06/07/411113/Daniel-Cross-6x4-600x400.jpg

diving in under Toovey , most players would let Toovey pick the ball up then tackle him , not Crossy

Mantis
16-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Yep.

If only he had confidence in his kicking and could run a little faster.

LostDoggy
16-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Cross will be remembered as being very, very, very close to Libba in terms of courage.

On the weekend he ran back with the flight of the ball into Petrie's path a number of times and always goes in head first into packs.

Even the commentators were marvelling at it. “He's gonna kill himself!”

Yep.

Can't have everything.

azabob
16-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Yep.

If he had these qualities would he still be as courageous? His game style maybe a bit different.

1eyedog
16-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Crossy is a nutter , no fear at all , just puts his body on the line and whatever happens happens

http://images.triplem.com.au/2010/06/07/411113/Daniel-Cross-6x4-600x400.jpg

diving in under Toovey , most players would let Toovey pick the ball up then tackle him , not Crossy

Can you get reported for sliding into a contest head first? :rolleyes:

w3design
16-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Not often wrong as they say, but you might well be right on this one.
Some have asked : how come he doesn't get hurt? Who says he doesn't?
He really is human you know, despite all evidence to the contrary.
I think he is just one of those exceptional people whose courage and determination allows him to say to himself...Sh1t that hurt, then gets up, shakes himself off, forgets about it, and moves straight on to his next team act of kamikaze.
I have watched this game and team for more decades than I care to think about, and Crossy is right up there as pretty much the bravest and most selfless it has ever been my privilege to watch play this game.

1eyedog
16-05-2012, 05:25 PM
If he had these qualities would he still be as courageous? His game style maybe a bit different.

Indeed, he knows he has limitations in most other areas so he gives 110% where he can.

LostDoggy
16-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Hardness isn't something that you just 'get' one day, it has to be a constant attitude from a young age, so that your mind and body become conditioned to just crashing into things. You can tell those players who are just 'starting' to try to get hard.. there is always some hesitation, and even when they do go they tend to get hurt, either through bad timing or just hesitating, or due to their bodies not being conditioned to take hits properly.

Crossy must have been diving under packs since he was 6, and he probably has his wife punching him while he sleeps. His head is harder than a tractor's arse and his shoulders must be made of bloody cement. An ordinary player would be bandaged up every week and/or have broken ribs if they played like Crossy, but his resilience extends to very rarely getting injured. That doesn't happen overnight. Farking legend.

ps. Probably can't kick because his thighs are stiffer than concrete.

LongWait
16-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Crossy epitomises "crazy brave". I've watched a lot of footy in my 54 years and I've never seen anyone braver on the field. And the thing about Crossy is that he goes every time it is his turn and then sometimes when it's not his turn. Lenny Hayes is the other modern day player who has the same fearless attack as Daniel.

always right
16-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Even the commentators were marvelling at it. “He's gonna kill himself!”

Can't have everything.

True...but to give him his due, he appears to be improving his kicking even at this later stage of his career. Or at least he is attempting to be more constructive.

DragzLS1
17-05-2012, 12:17 AM
I've always loved watching cross play and the weekend was anabsolute ripper! He is the bravest I've seen and the only other player I can think of is jonathon brown who goes forwards, backwards and sideways and pretty much knows he will get knocked out half the time. Difference is crossy never stays down ;)

Chuck Norris reads Daniel cross jokes! That's how hard he is :)

Ghost Dog
17-05-2012, 12:32 AM
True...but to give him his due, he appears to be improving his kicking even at this later stage of his career. Or at least he is attempting to be more constructive.

Did you see how carefully he was putting it on his boot? Cross kicked really well. Beautifully!!

Greystache
17-05-2012, 12:42 AM

I don't know that he's even improved his kicking, more so that he's backing himself and kicking with confidence. He's never been a terrible kick, he just seemed to get it in his head that he should never kick it. I wonder if the new coach has played a role in Crossy's new found confidence. Either way, he's a far more effective player when he backs himself.

EasternWest
17-05-2012, 02:01 AM
I don't know that he's even improved his kicking, more so that he's backing himself and kicking with confidence. He's never been a terrible kick, he just seemed to get it in his head that he should never kick it. I wonder if the new coach has played a role in Crossy's new found confidence. Either way, he's a far more effective player when he backs himself.

Couldn't agree more with this point.

LostDoggy
17-05-2012, 10:15 AM

It'd be a fair assumption with a player of Cross's age. The coach is (probably) the only factor that's changed.

bornadog
17-05-2012, 10:24 AM

I think the coach has found a new role for him this year and he is thriving in it. Perhaps the coach has instilled more confidence in him and asked him to be more creative.

I love the intercept he made last week and ran into an open goal.

Ghost Dog
17-05-2012, 10:31 AM
I think the coach has found a new role for him this year and he is thriving in it. Perhaps the coach has instilled more confidence in him and asked him to be more creative.

He's a dour, hard player, but did you see the celebration from Crossy? I think I blew the eardrums on a few North fans in front of me when he did that. Great Match day moment.

LostDoggy
17-05-2012, 10:49 AM
I think the coach has found a new role for him this year and he is thriving in it.

I thought against North Griffen would have to drop back at times to give the defense an extra runner but its Crossy who's dropping back , he's basically playing a sweeper role to link with the midfielders , with his elite workrate its a role he can make his own and it gives him a little more space and a little more time , its works well as we don,t lose a defender at contests Crossy smashes in and gets the ball out so we can rebound and defensively he can slide across and cut off supply , I don,t know how much distance he covers in a match but it must be pushing up towards 20km or more

LostDoggy
17-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Gary Dempsey is another player I admire for his courage , to come back from his terrible burns to have a great career was an awesome effort mentally and physically

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/champ-recalls-roar-of-hell/story-0-1111118824996

http://tools.weeklytimesnow.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=1555&offset=31

http://qualityafltradingcards.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/IMG_1385_%28360x480%29.jpg

I remember when he came back as the ruckcoach , even at 52 he could push Scotty Wynd around

http://cdn2.slatterymedia.com/thumbs/main/166066.jpg

Ozza
17-05-2012, 11:44 AM
A couple of obvious ones - Brad Johnson and Chris Grant were courageous - eyes on the footy at all times - players. Johnno used to get hurt a lot in his early career - he didn't have any idea how to protect himself as a young fella, and would regularly get crunched.

Crossy is very brave - in the mould of Scott West.

Addison is happy to get hurt for the team. Picken is fearless. He doesn't remember his clash with Cunnington on the weekend. At the time he just brushed it off and went back to his man.

Twodogs
17-05-2012, 11:47 AM

I cant believe nobody has picked up that quote. It's sigworthy!:D

Gary Dempsey is another player I admire for his courage , to come back from his terrible burns to have a great career was an awesome effort mentally and physically.

It wasnt just the comeback after the burns from bushfire that made him so tough. He took so many hits to the throat at ruck contests it changed the tone of his voice but he kept getting up and marking the ball.

LostDoggy
17-05-2012, 12:00 PM

Daniel Cross bleeds red white and blue , Chuck Norris just bleeds

Greystache
17-05-2012, 12:40 PM

I think that's probably a factor too. Cross in the midfield these days is probably one too many slow players with average kicking skills now that Wallis is having an impact. I thought half forward might be his best spot, but he's thrived under McCartney as our +1 in defence using his courage, overhead marking, and new found confidence to move the ball on.

Credit to both coach and player.

Grantysghost
17-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I recall Chris Grant having a broken jaw, busted shoulder, busted knee, busted neck and he still went back into packs. He used to get a stinger every week for a while there. We used to joke about how it was just a "stinger" and he'll be back in five. His courage for mine was without peer, until D.Cross. I was actually grimmacing a few times at the game on Saturday waiting for his kidney to be caved in Tom Lonergan style. I thought he was B.O.G with Griffen on Sunday....

EasternWest
17-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Picken is fearless. He doesn't remember his clash with Cunnington on the weekend. At the time he just brushed it off and went back to his man.

Actually I'm glad you mentioned that. Cunnington must be an absolute tank, because Picken smashed into him and Cunnington didn't even move. It almost defied physics that two bodies could meet like that and only one bounce back.

bornadog
17-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Actually I'm glad you mentioned that. Cunnington must be an absolute tank, because Picken smashed into him and Cunnington didn't even move. It almost defied physics that two bodies could meet like that and only one bounce back.

Picken was off balance:p

EasternWest
17-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Picken was off balance:p

Heh. Maybe that's it!

Back on track, of our current list I would rate Cross as a mile in front for courage. Then I'd have Picken and Addison with Boyd and Griff rounding out the top five.

Some people might be surprised by Griff, but I reckon he's tough as and he gets up time and time again after heavy hits.

w3design
17-05-2012, 05:20 PM
It'd be a fair assumption with a player of Cross's age. The coach is (probably) the only factor that's changed.

While I have little doubt B.Mac has had some positive impact on Crossy's game, if you went back and really watched D.C's play over the last 3 years with an open mind, I think you might find that his kicking has been slowly but steadily improving. I think he has been likely working very hard at training for some time to improve his own skills.
My gut feeling is that what BMac has given him is a little more self belief/confidence with his kicking.

Greystache
17-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Some people might be surprised by Griff, but I reckon he's tough as and he gets up time and time again after heavy hits.

Not me, he gets belted around every week and never let's it keep him down. He probably shows a different type of courage than Cross, more the courage to keep pushing himself even when he's under physical duress.

bornadog
17-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Not me, he gets belted around every week and never let's it keep him down. He probably shows a different type of courage than Cross, more the courage to keep pushing himself even when he's under physical duress.

So true, I have seen him come to the bench and throw up after busting a gut (pardon the pun), pushing his body to the limit.

Maddog37
17-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I thought against North Griffen would have to drop back at times to give the defense an extra runner but its Crossy who's dropping back , he's basically playing a sweeper role to link with the midfielders , with his elite workrate its a role he can make his own and it gives him a little more space and a little more time , its works well as we don,t lose a defender at contests Crossy smashes in and gets the ball out so we can rebound and defensively he can slide across and cut off supply , I don,t know how much distance he covers in a match but it must be pushing up towards 20km or more

He is playing the Joel Corey role.

EasternWest
17-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Yeah I'd agree with that. But he goes when it's his turn too, and I think that gets overlooked a bit.

1eyedog
17-05-2012, 06:47 PM
It pains me to say it, but Harbrow was as courageous as it gets backing back into packs in the 2010 finals series.