PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 8

westdog54
19-05-2012, 12:42 PM
This is the round 8 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against the Gold Coast Suns is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Rance Fan
19-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Bankers
Picken - at his best against Ablett, and kicked a goal!
Lake - control the back half
Cross - good hands, suited to conditions and silencing the critics

Anchors
Mainly the conditions caused errors etc
Murph - quiet one by his standards
Gia - missed few easy ones early on
Dahl - struggled a bit

GVGjr
19-05-2012, 11:39 PM
How good was that run down by Picken? He gives it 100% just about every game

LostDoggy
19-05-2012, 11:39 PM
?Dahl was very good in the second half. Murphy had a nil all draw with Brown.

G-Mo77
19-05-2012, 11:46 PM
How good was that run down by Picken? He gives it 100% just about every game

Its the kind of stuff you want to see. The game was over and he ran his guts out to make the tackle. I jumped out of the couch when that happened.

Rance Fan
19-05-2012, 11:50 PM
?Dahl was very good in the second half. Murphy had a nil all draw with Brown.

You got 3?

Just thought they not as dominant as they usually are.

jeemak
20-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Bankers:

Cross - He was fantastic tonight, and was always available when needed to provide sure hands and pressure. Excellent game.

Lake - Getting back to his best football over the last few weeks. He's by far the best defender I've seen for the Bulldogs aside from Chris Grant (I know, he only had a year or so there, but by god he was amazing), and his current form suggest trading for somebody like Cloke wouldn't be the dumbest thing we could do at seasons end.

Wallis and Liberatore - If these guys don't already own the contested situations now, then they will in a year or two. As soon as they learn when to drink from the glass rather than drink from the bottle they'll be in the top ten midfielders in the competition.

Anchors:

Murphy - Pulling even with Brown isn't a good effort from one of the best rebounding defenders in the competition. If he's going to be quiet, he needs to make every disposal count.

Sherman - Some of his positioning work was off tonight, and it seemed that just by being in the contest he was hurting our chances of moving the ball forward. I know we are supposed to be "cracking in" at all costs, though I really think we need to understand who needs to stay outside, and when.

Umpires - You have a whistle for a reason. Blowing it and clearing the game up with a ball up or an obvious free kick will clean things out quickly. I really don't understand how the umpiring can vary so much from game to game.

Special mention to Jarrad Grant. I thought he worked very hard tonight to be dangerous and in the contest when conditions really didn't suit him. Can't think of too many other 193cm blokes could gather and slot the goal so easily like he did in the third. Especially on the opposite foot. This guy needs another year or two, as long as he keeps trying he'll make it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Bankers
Picken - at his best against Ablett, and kicked a goal!
Lake - control the back half
Cross - good hands, suited to conditions and silencing the critics

Anchors
Mainly the conditions caused errors etc
Murph - quiet one by his standards
Gia - missed few easy ones early on
Dahl - struggled a bit

Like many was quiet in the first half, but was one of our best in the second half?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Bankers

Minson- not going to feature in the votes, but is really stringing together some consistent performances, and the difference between his best and worst is not as great as it once was.

Tory Dickson- his chasing efforts all evening were very good.

Anchors

Sherman- for his effort in the 4th Qtr? Running into the 50, had two guys open, but got a bad case of the hungry's and went for glory himself. I can't help thinking that it's not the type of trait that is going to win you much favour with our very much team focused coach.

Drunken Bum
20-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Bankers

Minson- not going to feature in the votes, but is really stringing together some consistent performances, and the difference between his best and worst is not as great as it once was.

I'm a bit of a Minson fanboi, never going to be a superstar but he can be a pretty good ruck for us, i was aghast at people wanting to trade him last year, there is no way in the world that Roughy and Cordy could do the grunt work that Minno does in the ruck, even next year i think he is crucial to us while they are still developing. Having him be able to spend the majority of the game in the ruck and still be working hard in packs in the last Q is vital to Rough and Cordy's development i think. It will be 2-3 years at least before Roughy will have the body conditioning to do anything similar although by then Cordy and Roughy should be able to share the load more hopefully.

westbulldog
20-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Bankers
Picken - outstanding, might not get brownlow votes but his efforts win matches.
Minson - another strong performance all game
Grant - showed aggression and quality, 2 goal assists as well

Anchors
Jones - minimal contribution, perhaps not suited by the conditions.

jeemak
20-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Apart from a few extremely good defensive efforts, and finishing off one of his only opportunities with a goal a goal I though Ablett was still quite effective against Picken, and he got a heap of the ball in the process.

You're never really a chance to keep Ablett below 15-20 touches though, and he gets a lot of leniency from the umpires with respect to holding the ball decisions.

bornadog
20-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Bankers

*Cross - great game, hardly fumbled and usual courage self.

*Lake - Back to his best the last couple of weeks.

*Grant - One of the most lively forwards tonight, in everything, freak goial and some lovely Sheparding for a few other goals.

Anchors

*Jones - completely out of touch, runs under the ball too much, doesn't know how to position himself. With 56 inside 50's, should have had a field day.

* Murphy - Some of his foot skills tonight were not great, turning over the ball and kicking across the ground (again) and not hitting the target.

* Second quarter effort where we got smashed in the contested possessions.

westbulldog
20-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Apart from a few extremely good defensive efforts, and finishing off one of his only opportunities with a goal a goal I though Ablett was still quite effective against Picken, and he got a heap of the ball in the process.

You're never really a chance to keep Ablett below 15-20 touches though, and he gets a lot of leniency from the umpires with respect to holding the ball decisions.

I thought Ablett was ineffectual and had little influence on the game due to Picken's efforts. It is no co-incidence that Jakovich went straight to interview Picken post-game on Foxsports.

Sockeye Salmon
20-05-2012, 01:28 AM

McKenna did the best job of stitching up Ablett. Why would you have him at full back? Ablett probably got 30+ touches but who cares if they are chip kicks in the back pocket

jeemak
20-05-2012, 01:53 AM
I thought Ablett was ineffectual and had little influence on the game due to Picken's efforts. It is no co-incidence that Jakovich went straight to interview Picken post-game on Foxsports.

The moment we start using the actions of Jackovic as a measuring stick for player preformance or any other aspect of the game other than general boofheadedness is the day the game has offically jumped the shark!:D

Point taken, I just think that Ablett gets judged pretty harshly sometimes, while his opponents gather praise for only doing a moderate shut down job, or don't hurt the opposition in the process.

McKenna did the best job of stitching up Ablett. Why would you have him at full back? Ablett probably got 30+ touches but who cares if they are chip kicks in the back pocket

I'd prefer Ablett on the last line any day of the week.

bornadog
20-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Mckenna should have had Ablett up forward particularly in that second quarter when they smashed us for CP. They could have been a few goals up at half time and really put the scare on us.

SlimPickens
20-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Bankers-

Grant- happy with his repeat efforts and the noticeable lift in intensity in general. That goal was also class.

Wallis/Libba/Smith- tough as nails when the conditions called for it.

Lake- just loving having Brian lake back in form.

Anchors-

Murphy- missed some targets which is very out of character.

Jones- off week for Jonesy, thought he contested well but just struggled with positioning.

AFL- Six day break on the back of a trip to Darwin- Bollocks!

LostDoggy
20-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Bankers:

Grant - Was never out of the game and showed great teamwork. Special goal.

Clay Smith - Went hard as you would expect and his foot skills were quite effective.

Libber - Will be one of the very best inside midfielders in time.

Anchors:

There were a few but the conditions do have a massive effect.

ratsmac
20-05-2012, 01:45 PM
bankers

Lake - a class act when he starts clunking them.

Griffen - elite.

Cross,Wallis, Libba - can't split them, under every pack and often putting themselves in selfless situations.

Anchors

Jones - can't find the footy. (needs to speak to Lake about body positioning and reading the flight of the ball)

Sherman - ordinary at best last night.

umpires - just for being umpires

Maddog37
20-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Bankers

K Hunt meet Clay Smith. Gee the kid is tough.

Grants goal. Special talent. Pray he doesn't waste it.

Libba and Wallis. Batman and Robin.

Anchors

Game as a spectacle overall.

Having to play home games away in our away strip.

SonofScray
20-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Bankers:

Grant - building up to some good form and growing as a footballer under Mac's system.
Wilbur - giving us exactly what we wanted from him in 2012, consistently. Another solid game.
Higgins - because of what mac has said and a few things he has done as a fwd of late.

Anchors:

Jones - think we've wrecked him. Running under the footy, just struggling to get involved.
Gia - played well but his body is letting him down, GC players took him on via foot and beat him easily.
Sherman - didn't back up last weeks effort.

Eastdog
20-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Bankers

K Hunt meet Clay Smith. Gee the kid is tough.

Grants goal. Special talent. Pray he doesn't waste it.

Libba and Wallis. Batman and Robin.

Anchors

Game as a spectacle overall.

Good anchor Maddog37. Considering it was our home game we should of worn our home strip.

SonofScray
20-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Good anchor Maddog37. Considering it was our home game we should of worn our home strip.

IMO, white strip for night games is great. So long as the club chose to wear it, I don't mind at all.

bornadog
20-05-2012, 04:08 PM

The club chooses to do that at TIO Stadium as the lighting is poor and players can see each other better in the white strip.

Greystache
20-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Bankers

Lake- Was Lake, it's so good to have him back.

Wallis- I can't get over how much he's improved this year.

Picken- Did a good job on a gun player and got forward to kick a goal. It's a real string to his bow that can turn a good tagging game into a great one.

Anchors

Jones- He's got a tough job, but he was poor this week.

Murphy- He's had a pretty ordinary month.

Conditions- Night matches in Darwin don't make for great viewing.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Bankers:
Lake. Another outstanding game
Minson. Ability to ruck for long periods impressive.
Cross. Again did well
Liberatore & Wallis. Continue to impress

Anchors:
Jones. Another poor performance
Sherman. Put in a shocker
Addison. Undisciplined act on Bennell

1eyedog
20-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Bankers:

Grant - building up to some good form and growing as a footballer under Mac's system.
Wilbur - giving us exactly what we wanted from him in 2012, consistently. Another solid game.
Higgins - because of what mac has said and a few things he has done as a fwd of late.

Anchors:

Jones - think we've wrecked him. Running under the footy, just struggling to get involved.
Gia - played well but his body is letting him down, GC players took him on via foot and beat him easily.
Sherman - didn't back up last weeks effort.

How so?

EasternWest
20-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Can't agree with this in any way. Knocks and hits go on like that 100 times a game. Hell, Picken dishes it out twenty times before the ball is bounced. The only reason we're talking about this is because it knocked the wind out of the kid, and it's also the only reason it'll get looked at.

Of course Addison is going to go. Nothing surer. But there's no way he should IMO.

BulldogBelle
20-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Can't agree with this in any way. Knocks and hits go on like that 100 times a game. Hell, Picken dishes it out twenty times before the ball is bounced. The only reason we're talking about this is because it knocked the wind out of the kid, and it's also the only reason it'll get looked at.

Of course Addison is going to go. Nothing surer. But there's no way he should IMO.

Addison bumped side on into him

His elbow may have been slightly out, and it winded him

Lucky shot - those sort of bumps happens numerous times every match, every week

The only reason this was one noticed was that the little fella got winded by a lucky shot

Bennell the hero came back on the field after a few minutes and then started giving Addison curry

Nothing in it

Doc26
20-05-2012, 10:03 PM

I agree with you NBP.

Dylan's fearless and determined approach to a contest is commendable and is his best asset to the Team but I cannot condone what in this case I regard as a cheap shot, albeit quite small, on a player far away from a legitimate contest.

Dylan is better than this and as you say it was an undisciplined act although he need not be crucified over it.

westbulldog
20-05-2012, 11:21 PM
The moment we start using the actions of Jackovic as a measuring stick for player preformance or any other aspect of the game other than general boofheadedness is the day the game has offically jumped the shark!:D

Point taken, I just think that Ablett gets judged pretty harshly sometimes, while his opponents gather praise for only doing a moderate shut down job, or don't hurt the opposition in the process.

I'd prefer Ablett on the last line any day of the week.

If Ablett had any influence game we were watching different matches. We may all have different opinions of commentators - obviously !

always right
21-05-2012, 09:14 AM
If Ablett had any influence game we were watching different matches. We may all have different opinions of commentators - obviously !

Could not agree more. I love Ablett but his game on Saturday will go down as one of the least effective high posession performances in a long time. Had zero influence on the game. Picken's fewer posessions were more memorable than Ablett's.

always right
21-05-2012, 09:19 AM
If I was permitted to, I'd throw Karmichael Hunt into the bankers category. Man this bloke has come a long way. He had a major influence on the first half and looked like he has been playing AFL for five years. Made mistakes but his willingness te take the game on and his presence around stoppages were really impressive. A couple of times it was only thanks to Wallis being able to stick a tackle that Hunt didn't break away and run into goal.

Ozza
21-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Bankers:

Boyd: Had clean hands when nobody else did.
Lake: Controlled the game.
Wallis/Libba/Grant - young blokes who stood up.

Anchors:

Dahlhaus: Not his usual intensity when the game was up for grabs.
Kicking to the pockets/forwards leading to the pockets: Conditions were unsuitable for precision play - some dumb footy in the first half.
Playing in Darwin: Makes for an ordinary spectacle with the conditions unfortunately.

LostDoggy
21-05-2012, 11:42 AM
The club chooses to do that at TIO Stadium as the lighting is poor and players can see each other better in the white strip.

Thanks bornadog. I was wondering about that. I thought we would have had the choice of what to wear, being our home game. I thought maybe we chose the white as it would have been cooler too?

Remi Moses
21-05-2012, 03:15 PM

That's what I think . It's such a non issue it isn't funny, they could don a pink tutu if we made a GF.

jeemak
21-05-2012, 11:10 PM

In trying conditions with a player who could easily be described as a sheepdog with a strong jaw and a sharp set of teeth hanging on to him all night he still managed to get his hands on the ball, to try and feed it to his team mates.

Ablett doesn't have the same people blocking for him these days, and he's not likely to break away from a hard tag like he did years ago. As I said in a previous post, it's always hard to limit him possession wise and Picken at least curbed his ability to hurt us forward of centre.

Anyway, this isn't the Ablett thread. What I will say though, is every time Ablett won the ball it was a time we weren't able to, and this was telling at stages early on in the piece.

Sedat
22-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Playing in Darwin: Makes for an ordinary spectacle with the conditions unfortunately.
Agree with this but gee it's nice to pretty much bank 4 points whenever we play up there.

Maddog37
22-05-2012, 10:31 AM
What about the week after though?

Mantis
22-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Agree with this but gee it's nice to pretty much bank 4 points whenever we play up there.

That's ok against a team of similar ability, but playing at home against GC would have given us a much needed boost to our percentage.

1eyedog
22-05-2012, 10:57 AM
That's ok against a team of similar ability, but playing at home against GC would have given us a much needed boost to our percentage.

Maybe...

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-05-2012, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=Maddog37;270458]Bankers

Having to play home games away in our away strip

Why did we wear our away strip?

bornadog
22-05-2012, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=Maddog37;270458]Bankers

Having to play home games away in our away strip

Why did we wear our away strip?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-05-2012, 08:47 PM
The lighting was poor