PDA

View Full Version : Returning from Darwin - Our form

LostDoggy
22-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Just thought i would start a thread for those interested in how we have faired once returning from Darwin and playing at TIO stadium.

2007 - Round 13 - MCG - Western Buldogs 11.19 (85) defeated by North Melbourne 17.9 (111)

- Lost the game
- 8 Goals kicked against us in the first quarter
- Ran out the game better with 9 scoring shots to 4 in the last quarter.
- 15 day break.

2008 - Round 15 - Eithad - Western Bulldogs 14.11 (95) defeated Melbourne 9.10 (64)

- Comfortable victory.
- Lost the disposals count for the match.
- Had a 15 day break.

2009 - Round 13 - Etihad - Western Bulldogs 17.6 (108) defeated North Melbourne 12.14 (86

-Won the match by 22 Points.
-North were very determined and come out hard. Was a hard fought out match.
-Dogs kicked 6 of the last 7 goals of the match. Ran out the game far better.
-We had a 15 day break.

2010 - Round 17 - Etihad - Western Bulldogs 24.14 (158) defeated Fremantle 12.4 (76)

- Was a very comprehensive victory 82 points.
- Fremantle finished 6th on the ladder this year so were no easy beats.
- We kicked 9 Goals in the opening term.
- This was the game after Aker was sacked by the club.
- We had a 8 day break.

We didn't play in Darwin in 2011... So what does this tell us? Not a great deal if you ask me... I didn't realise this has been really the first year we have been shafted by the fixture in only getting a 6 day break.

From 2007-2009 we had a weeks rest in between matches, with 2010 being the only formline to consider going into this week. But even then it was a 8 day break with the whole Akermanis factor. I don't think it would have mattered if we were coming off a 2 hour break, we still would have won.

So really this was a waste of time but i was interested in how we have travelled after coming back from Darwin, plus i wasted some time at work!

EasternWest
22-05-2012, 02:49 PM
So really this was a waste of time but i was interested in how we have travelled after coming back from Darwin, plus i wasted some time at work!

Stuff like this is never a waste of time. It makes for interesting reading. Like you mentioned the 6 day versus the 14/15 day break makes it all the more interesting.

Thanks for going to the effort.

bornadog
22-05-2012, 03:04 PM
We have had 5 lots of 6 day breaks in 8 matches this year, which is going to be harder than in previous years. The AFL has no idea about scheduling these.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-05-2012, 05:05 PM
It was very hot up there - how much that takes out of the players I don't know but the boundary umpire had his own trainer.

LostDoggy
22-05-2012, 05:59 PM
We have had 5 lots of 6 day breaks in 8 matches this year, which is going to be harder than in previous years. The AFL has no idea about scheduling these.

Yeah i read that earlier.. That's just ridiculous.

bornadog
22-05-2012, 06:01 PM
It was very hot up there - how much that takes out of the players I don't know but the boundary umpire had his own trainer.

I have noticed when Libba plays his face is very red and sweaty, it looked like that in the first half until he seemed to get use to it. Wally didn't look too good either.

DragzLS1
22-05-2012, 06:06 PM
God I hope we just dont train this week at all and let everybody recover!! haha will be interesting to see how we go considering we have never come off a short week back from Darwin..

Will be a good sign if we can be competetive, let alone knock them off!!

Rocco Jones
22-05-2012, 09:02 PM

More like ''The AFL schedules it's bitches however it suits the AFL."

azabob
22-05-2012, 09:06 PM
The AFL has no idea about scheduling these.

More like ''The AFL schedules it's bitches however it suits the AFL."

Sad reality is we make the decision to sell our home games, we can't always have our cake and eat it.

Rocco Jones
22-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Sad reality is we make the decision to sell our home games, we can't always have our cake and eat it.

I get that but we are trying to promote the game as well, which helps the league. Surely it would prefer to have us play in Darwin than just another nothing game at Etihad.

I am not asking for much, just not consecutive 6 day breaks with Darwin in the middle, that's just horrendous.

azabob
22-05-2012, 10:22 PM
I get that but we are trying to promote the game as well, which helps the league. Surely it would prefer to have us play in Darwin than just another nothing game at Etihad.

I am not asking for much, just not consecutive 6 day breaks with Darwin in the middle, that's just horrendous.

Agree.

DragzLS1
23-05-2012, 11:15 AM

Agree with what you said atleast give us 8 day break when playing in Darwin and then consecutive 6 day break the next 2 rounds for alls I care.

Still think we are going to come out firing!

Remi Moses
23-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Take your point, but on the flip side the AFL advocates it as "Australia's game" yet when a team takes a game to a place that gets no afl they shaft us .
Should be at least a 7 day break !!

bornadog
24-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Gia unconcerned with turnaround (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/136690/default.aspx)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs face an arduous task on Friday night, backing up against Geelong at Etihad Stadium just six days after a game in Darwin.

But according to veteran Bulldogs forward Daniel Giansiracusa, the short turnaround won't be a factor for his side in what shapes as a season-defining game for both clubs.

"We pulled up really well," he said of the aftermath of the game against Gold Coast.

Giansiracusa told SEN on Thursday morning that the Bulldogs, regular visitors to Darwin in the last few years, took a later flight back last Sunday, completing their recovery in Darwin and not returning home until after 5pm.

"It's a different trip up there with the heat and the humidity, but we have a pretty good base with our fitness staff and dietician and lots goes into things like hydration."

The Dogs have had a really light week on the training track, with a strong focus on their opposition. Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney spent 11 years at Geelong between 2000 and 2010.

Giansiracusa heaped plenty of praise on his new coach.

"He's keen on contested footy and puts an emphasis on that, but he's also great at building relationships with not just the players in the organisation but everyone from the boot-studder up," he said.

"He takes the time to get to know you, which will hold you in good stead when times are tough or when he needs to challenge you."

He said McCartney likes to keep things simple.

"Footy can be complicated but at the same time, nothing has changed. That's good for a player because the message is always the same. His message is basic but it gets the job done."

LostDoggy
25-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Some might say the AFL knows exactly what it's doing.

God I hope we just dont train this week at all and let everybody recover!! haha will be interesting to see how we go considering we have never come off a short week back from Darwin..

Will be a good sign if we can be competetive, let alone knock them off!!

I rocked up to training on Wednesday, they trained outside for about half an hour, and I was told it was the only outdoors session for the week. I'd spent half an hour in the shop so I missed it :(

I've got no idea what training they did in the ELC, but it seems we've had a VERY light week.

AndrewP6
26-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Some might say the AFL knows exactly what it's doing.

I rocked up to training on Wednesday, they trained outside for about half an hour, and I was told it was the only outdoors session for the week. I'd spent half an hour in the shop so I missed it :(

I've got no idea what training they did in the ELC, but it seems we've had a VERY light week.

Tonight in the Victory Room pre-game, Marko was interviewed, and said as much (something like an hour or so of ball work :eek: )

Desipura
26-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Tonight in the Victory Room pre-game, Marko was interviewed, and said as much (something like an hour or so of ball work :eek: )
I must have just missed you as I was in there pre game. Just missed the Marko interview.

AndrewP6
26-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I must have just missed you as I was in there pre game. Just missed the Marko interview.

I was running late (later than usual!) due to train delays, got in there around 7, left around 7.35. Was pretty busy in there, wasn't it?

Desipura
26-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I was running late (later than usual!) due to train delays, got in there around 7, left around 7.35. Was pretty busy in there, wasn't it?

It was, I just heard Herb Henderson say a few words towards the end. I was told Charlie Sutton is in a bad way (health wise)

AndrewP6
26-05-2012, 10:22 PM
It was, I just heard Herb Henderson say a few words towards the end. I was told Charlie Sutton is in a bad way (health wise)

Kevin Hillier mentioned as much in the interview.

Desipura
26-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Kevin Hillier mentioned as much in the interview.
Oh ok, I was only there towards the end, I got the message from an ex trainer at the club.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Charlie Sutton in a wheel chair bravely fronted up on stage briefly at Saturday night's Hall of Fame dinner to a rousing reception. Herb Henderson was inducted into the HOF on the night.

KT31
01-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Charlie Sutton in a wheel chair bravely fronted up on stage briefly at Saturday night's Hall of Fame dinner to a rousing reception. Herb Henderson was inducted into the HOF on the night.

The original Rolls, all the best to Charlie.
He is a true gentleman and hope he is OK.