PDA

View Full Version : Round 9 Match Preview: Western Bulldogs vs Geelong

Rocco Jones
22-05-2012, 08:16 PM
I put this up a bit earlier due to the game being on Friday night.

Round 8: Western Bulldogs vs Geelong
7:50 PM Friday, 25 May 2012 @ Docklands

Last time we meet

Geelong 23.10. 148 defeated Western Bulldogs 13.9. 87 @ Kardinia Park.

No analysis really needed here!

Form

The Dogs have had a solid month or so. We showed a lot against the Pies, rolled the Roos and did what we needed to do up north against the Suns.

The Cats have lost their last two games to be 4-4. Their hunger has been questioned and the are really struggling to win the contested ball.

Selection Table

With the Dogs a lot depends on how guys pull up after the Darwin trip. Addison is suspended with Smith, Zeph and Jones facing a battle to keep their spots. DJ will miss another week with Vez and Cooney coming into the side if fit.

Scarlett seems like he is in the fitness test category for Friday night. The ruck situation might also come up. The Oren/West combo is very limited around the ground but injuries to their other young ruckmen has forced their hand a bit, as well as allowing Hawkins to play the whole game up forward.

The Match Ups

Who do we tag?

The Cats are a bit different when it comes to a tag/close checking jobs. No doubt Selwood is a gun but IMO he isn't the type of midfielder you apply a hard tag on. He is more a hard working, touch, strong machine than an explosive type with damaging foot skills. Perhaps Picken can go to Selwood at times but I wouldn't make it a big focus.

Sides have been putting more attention in forward tags on HB rebounders Enright and Mackie. Perhaps Picken can go to one, not sure about the other. Grant or Dickson? I have doubts about their tank. We could try to make one of them accountable by playing a goal scoring threat who we target like Higgins or Gia. I am a bit worried about how damaging their HBs are and how our small forwards don't have great tanks.

TomaHawk and Pods

The Cats are a bit like the Crows in how they have 2 legit dangerous tall forward targets. They can pick and choose who to get to based on matchups and how they are going.

Austin has been very serviceable so far but this is by far his biggest challenge. I think the Cats will try to expose him. I think we should try to start him on Pods but this can change depending on how the game is going. Lake obviously has a massive task trying to beat a quality player as well as helping out Austin on another quality player. These tasks normally bring the best out of Brian, let's hope it is the same on Friday night.

The small Cats forwards

Chappy and Stevie J are a bit down on their usual form but along with Motlop and Stokes they have good depth in the department. Worst game for small lock down defender Addison to miss.

Shaggy was as good as it gets up against Stevie J before his injuries, let's hope he returns to that form. Hopefully Bobby and Vez can create some rebound up against Stokes and Motlop.

The midfield battle

We are learning to become more team focused and it's a perfect opportunity for Boyd, Griff and the midfield team to run both ways up against Selwood, Bartel and Kelly. Picken can give them a bit of a chop out but I hope our midfeld share the defensive load.

They are struggling with the contested ball and it's our strength. I think we are going to be heavily motivated to really smash them in this department.

Crystal Ball says...

I think we will do well against them in contested situations but obviously we need to go up a cog with how we use these chances.

The big doubt is how we will go after consecutive 6 day breaks coming off a trip to Darwin when we already struggle with spread.

I see the Cats having a bit too much class around the ground for us, hope there isn't a blow out due to tired legs.

Cats by 5 goals.

DragzLS1
22-05-2012, 10:55 PM
North Melbourne beat Geelong and we bet north Melbourne. No reason why we can't beat the pussy cats if we turn up to play like we did against the pies. Hope it's a great contest and either team wins by less then 2 goals :) should be a ripper!

Cooney to play his best game yet this season and dahlhaus to be let off the leash due to cooneys presence ;) GO DOGS!!

DragzLS1
22-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Btw great write up :)

bornadog
22-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Addison is suspended with Smith, Skipper and Jones facing a battle to keep their spots.

Skipper will really be battling:D

On a serious note, great preview. In the past we matched up pretty well with Geelong and had some very close matches. Up to a few weeks ago I thought we would have had no chance with this one, but after the last few weeks, I am a little bit more confident. I am sure we will be very competitive throughout the match, but the last quarter will be the telling one.

Rocco Jones
22-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Skipper will really be battling:D.

Haha! As I tell my students, my mistakes are there to check on whether they are paying attention.

bornadog
22-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Haha! I'm gonna stick to Zeph.

and you thought I didn't read it:p

Rocco Jones
22-05-2012, 11:30 PM
and you thought I didn't read it:p

You're too quick! I edited my reply to be more witty.

bornadog
22-05-2012, 11:39 PM
If Scarlett plays will he pick up Jones?

Greystache
22-05-2012, 11:49 PM
If Scarlett plays will he pick up Jones?

I wouldn't think so, Scarlett rarely plays on an opponent, and when forced to pick someone up it's usually the least dangerous player in that half of the ground.

I'd expect Taylor to take Jones and Lonergan will pick up Roughead/Cordy

bornadog
22-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't think so, Scarlett rarely plays on an opponent, and when forced to pick someone up it's usually the least dangerous player in that half of the ground.

I'd expect Taylor to take Jones and Lonergan will pick up Roughead/Cordy

If thats the case we need to make him accountable.

Greystache
23-05-2012, 12:00 AM
If thats the case we need to make him accountable.

We did well with that against Collingwood and O'Brien/Maxwell. Over recent years the loose opposition defender could pretty much be penciled in for BOG each week, but B Mac seems to want to change that.

The biggest challenge is to not allow him to sit off our forwards, if he has an opponent (maybe Grant) we have to go to him whenever possible, and if he wants to double up a forward (probably Jones) then he has to dedicate himself to bringing the ball to ground, and we have to ensure we get numbers to the contest to prevent them rebounding.

Greystache
23-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Btw good job Rocco

Scraggers
23-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Fantastic preview Rocco !!

I would love to say this is our chance to roll the Cats, but coming off to 6 day break, the Cats will be way to classy for us ... We will be chasing tail all day !!

I agree, Cats by 5 goals.

Bulldog Joe
23-05-2012, 07:45 AM
I am sure we will be very competitive throughout the match, but the last quarter will be the telling one.

I am worried about the 1st quarter.

Travel and short breaks flatten sides and I feel it will be more difficult to get the legs moving.

By the end of games everyone is tired and if we are in it at the last change the adrenalin might carry the last quarter.

Axe Man
23-05-2012, 12:24 PM
No doubt Selwood is a gun but IMO he isn't the type of midfielder you apply a hard tag on. He is more a hard working, touch, strong machine than an explosive type with damaging foot skills. Perhaps Picken can go to Selwood at times but I wouldn't make it a big focus.

Whilst I agree Selwood isn't explosive, I think he has very damaging foot skills. I thought he almost dragged the Cats over the line against the Pies last week. Whether tagging him will actually limit his effectiveness much I'm really not sure, although I would love to see Picken smash him at every opportunity.

Mofra
23-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Whilst I agree Selwood isn't explosive, I think he has very damaging foot skills. I thought he almost dragged the Cats over the line against the Pies last week. Whether tagging him will actually limit his effectiveness much I'm really not sure, although I would love to see Picken smash him at every opportunity.
Don't think smashing Selwood will make a lick of difference, he's almost as tough as Picken ;)

Should we look at more of an outside runner for Picken to nullify and have Selwood just matched up by our normal midfield rotations?

Cyberdoggie
23-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Great review RJ

I see this one being one of Geelong kicking easy goals from our silly mistakes, and us getting lots of forward entries and not capitilzing once again.

If Dickson, Higgins, Gia and Grant in particular can contribute to the scoreboard like they have recently then we may be in with a shot.

Jones, Cordy and Roughead aren't going to trouble the Geelong defenders but if they can just provide a contest and open enough space for the smalls then it might open up for us.

Just on Grant again, he's been very slowly improving the last few weeks and after last saturday nights game i think he showed a few signs that his confidence has turned around.
Macca has got him focussing on the defensive things and he's been improving there but now i've seen him take a couple of leaps for marks and show some desperation at ground balls. I think he's not far away from showing us what he can really do once again.
If only someone can teach him to hold the footy correctly when he kicks it.

Rocco Jones
23-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Should we look at more of an outside runner for Picken to nullify and have Selwood just matched up by our normal midfield rotations?

Yep, that's my thinking. You don't just tag the most dangerous opponent, you tag the guy who end up with the biggest drop in value for their team.

Tough nuts like Selwood aren't greatly effected by tags, I would go with Enright and Mackie.

A fit and firing Scarlett would be licking his lips at playing us. No quality KP forward to really worry about and our poor kicking skills means we end up randomly bombing it inside 50 most of the time.

I really hope Grant uses the chance to display his new born workrate as we would love his explosive pass and ability to lay a tackle against Enright. Mackie and Scarlett. He also has good hands overhead meaning he can be a target if they drop off him.

JohnGentStand
23-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I would love to see Picken go to James Kelly. Also hoping we bring in Roughy, Coons, & Vez for Addison, Smith and ????......not sure who, I have a sneaky suspicion Skinner could be a factor if in the side.

LostDoggy
23-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Geelong had 55 clangers against the Pies , we had 45 against GCS in the humid damp conditions which is not too bad considering against North we had 40 so I would say that at the moment we are cleaner with the ball

Geelong had 148 contested possessions against the Pies , we had 159 against GCS and most of those really in a stronger second half , at the moment I,d say we are stronger on the ball

Geelong had 37 clearances / Pies 36 so an even contest there , we had 37 against GCS in the humid damp conditions again which is not too bad , consistent , we had 42 against North , so if we stay strong on the ball we should have the edge with clearances

Geelong made 68 tackles against the Pies , a lower figure than normal for them but an indication of the Pies ability to break away and find space , also an indication of not putting enough pressure on , we had 87 against GCS in the humid damp conditions a great effort to put repeat pressure on , again consistent we made 81 against North

Geelong will have to be patient at times with the ball and will have to hit targets by foot if they try to open us up with close quarter handballs our zone defenses should put them under pressure

Geelong do have some weaknesses at the moment but it has to be a 4 quarter effort to knock them over , I,d have to say they are one of the fittest sides who have an innate ability to push hard at the end of every quarter

I,m looking forward to seeing how this unfolds considering our current form and the fact that week by week we take another step forward and upward

azabob
23-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Geelong had 55 clangers against the Pies , we had 45 against GCS in the humid damp conditions which is not too bad considering against North we had 40 so I would say that at the moment we are cleaner with the ball

West Dog where do you get your stats? Out of interest what were our stats V collingwood?

LostDoggy
23-05-2012, 08:42 PM
West Dog where do you get your stats? Out of interest what were our stats V collingwood?

If I remember it correctly the Pies had a stronger second half so the stats are slightly in their favour , we had only 35 clangers they had 51 an indication of our pressure , we had 156 contested possessions they had 164 just got ahead in the second half , we had 38 clearances they had 44 again just got ahead in the second half , we made 69 tackles they made 79 again an example of them being able to break and find space , now keep in mind that our rotations were affected when Wood went off , with a better second half with Wood injury free there is every chance we could have taken them

All the stats are from the AFL page under the individual game listed in Advanced Stats

bornadog
23-05-2012, 11:35 PM

Stas can be found here (http://www.afl.com.au/stats/tabid/73/default.aspx#page=team)

Raw Toast
24-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the write-up Rocco.

I agree that Picken is not the most value against Selwood and would be best served trying to limit their run, but I do think Selwood warrants attention and he can be quietly damaging as a link player.

We had good success playing Ward against Selwood, and I'd be tempted to give Wallis the job - it's both about using it as a learning opportunity, and also matching up strengths and I think Wallis could go okay against him head-to-head (or head-to-head ducked as it were).

Scarlett is a huge in for them imo (IF he gets up). The beauty of Lake returning to form (and possibly career-equaling best form at that the last three weeks), is that the opposition now needs to game-plan for him, and we can try and take some advantage of that. Scarlett of course forces the same.

Geelong have also been struggling on the spread, which is another really annoying factor in light of our consecutive six-day breaks. If we can play the attacking style that we showed against the Pies for much of the first half of that game - and IF we can sustain that style - then I think we'll really challenge them. Not overly confident of those two 'ifs' though.

Geelong are superb front-runners, so I'm really hoping that we can at least keep it close for the first half and then build on that.

I think we're a decent chance but it's going to take a huge effort to triumph despite the fixture debacle and Geelong are deserved favourites.

Ghost Dog
24-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the write-up Rocco.

Thanks also for the write-up

Getting a good start is going to be key. Geelong are under the pump and will be keen to run over us from the word go.

westdog54
24-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Great write up RJ, a good read.

Geelong had 148 contested possessions against the Pies , we had 159 against GCS and most of those really in a stronger second half , at the moment I,d say we are stronger on the ball

Geelong had 37 clearances / Pies 36 so an even contest there , we had 37 against GCS in the humid damp conditions again which is not too bad , consistent , we had 42 against North , so if we stay strong on the ball we should have the edge with clearances

Geelong made 68 tackles against the Pies , a lower figure than normal for them but an indication of the Pies ability to break away and find space , also an indication of not putting enough pressure on , we had 87 against GCS in the humid damp conditions a great effort to put repeat pressure on , again consistent we made 81 against North

Geelong will have to be patient at times with the ball and will have to hit targets by foot if they try to open us up with close quarter handballs our zone defenses should put them under pressure

Geelong do have some weaknesses at the moment but it has to be a 4 quarter effort to knock them over , I,d have to say they are one of the fittest sides who have an innate ability to push hard at the end of every quarter

I,m looking forward to seeing how this unfolds considering our current form and the fact that week by week we take another step forward and upward

Some interesting stats but I think they only tell part of the story.

Clangers are an interesting stat. I'd have to look up exactly how the statisticians define them but I'm pretty sure that its a disposal that directly results in a turnover i.e out on the full, straight to an opposition player etc. I think that disposal efficiency is probably a more reliable stat and for most of the year we've been terrible at it.

The contested possessions, clearances and tackles, when looked at from the humid Darwin conditions, can be a misleading stat at times. Clearances need to be looked at on a head to head basis, I wouldn't mind seeing how many clearances the Suns had. An increased tackle count stands to reason in difficult conditions as the ball is fumbled more often, players have to slow down/take that extra step and they increase the chance of being tackled. It becomes a similar story for contested possessions.

Having said that, I won't say I'm confident about tomorrow night but I am cautiously optimistic.

Bulldog Joe
24-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Really interesting to see the degree of optimism in the posts.

Pre-season I had this game as our MOST UNWINNABLE.

I guess the optimism shows both a degree of satisfaction in how we are travelling, but also a view that Geelong are not what they were.

I never tip against us but with the reduced break and travel, I just can't see us winning and think we will do well to get within about 35 points.

Sockeye Salmon
24-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Clangers are an interesting stat. I'd have to look up exactly how the statisticians define them but I'm pretty sure that its a disposal that directly results in a turnover i.e out on the full, straight to an opposition player etc. I think that disposal efficiency is probably a more reliable stat and for most of the year we've been terrible at it.

Disposal efficency is the least relevant stat in football.

If you get the ball in a pack and kick it forward to a contest, the disposal is ineffective.

DE% is mostly about how often you kick it sideways

Mantis
24-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Really interesting to see the degree of optimism in the posts.

Pre-season I had this game as our MOST UNWINNABLE.

I guess the optimism shows both a degree of satisfaction in how we are travelling, but also a view that Geelong are not what they were.

I never tip against us but with the reduced break and travel, I just can't see us winning and think we will do well to get within about 35 points.

But didn't you also have us being 8-2 after 10 rounds??

If that's the case should we be really listening to you?

stefoid
24-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Disposal efficency is the least relevant stat in football.

If you get the ball in a pack and kick it forward to a contest, the disposal is ineffective.

DE% is mostly about how often you kick it sideways

I always thought it was short kicks to a contest that were counted as ineffective and long kicks were counted as OK, unless they went directly to the opposition.

LostDoggy
24-05-2012, 02:43 PM
I always thought it was short kicks to a contest that were counted as ineffective and long kicks were counted as OK, unless they went directly to the opposition.

I'm pretty certain this is correct.

I think any kick over approx 40 metres is classified a long kick. Although if it goes nowhere near a teammate and straight to the opposition it's still classified a clanger.

bornadog
24-05-2012, 05:48 PM
If I remember it correctly the Pies had a stronger second half so the stats are slightly in their favour , we had only 35 clangers they had 51 an indication of our pressure , we had 156 contested possessions they had 164 just got ahead in the second half , we had 38 clearances they had 44 again just got ahead in the second half , we made 69 tackles they made 79 again an example of them being able to break and find space , now keep in mind that our rotations were affected when Wood went off , with a better second half with Wood injury free there is every chance we could have taken them

All the stats are from the AFL page under the individual game listed in Advanced Stats

Looking at the season Stats:

Stat..........Rank.Dogs...........Geelong

* Disposals - 1st,.... 11th

* Contested Possessions 1st,.... 12th

* Contested Marks, 4th...16th

* Hit Outs, 5th....10th

*Tackles, 3rd....2nd

*Inside 50, 4th....9th

* Marks inside 50, 14th ....3rd

Good chance to knock them off.:)

Rocco Jones
24-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Looking at the season Stats:

Stat..........Rank.Dogs...........Geelong

* Disposals - 1st,.... 11th

* Contested Possessions 1st,.... 12th

* Contested Marks, 4th...16th

* Hit Outs, 5th....10th

*Tackles, 3rd....2nd

*Inside 50, 4th....9th

* Marks inside 50, 14th ....3rd

Good chance to knock them off.:)

Stats are normally big fat liars but those tell a few truths.

We are awesome at winning the contested and getting the ball inside 50. They have struggled to win the contested ball all season.

Thing is despite the lack of inside 50s and contested ball, we are both 4-4 with the Cats having the harder draw. They can have far less contested possies and inside 50s and still perform at a higher level than we do. That's the massive worry about tomorrow. We need to not just win the contested possies or inside 50s, we need to smash them and then also go another cog with our disposal.

The Pie Man
24-05-2012, 06:06 PM

We are awesome at winning the contested and getting the ball inside 50. They have struggled to win the contested ball all season.

Thing is despite the lack of inside 50s and contested ball, we are both 4-4 with the Cats having the harder draw. They can have far less contested possies and inside 50s and still perform at a higher level than we do. That's the massive worry about tomorrow. We need to not just win the contested possies or inside 50s, we need to smash them and then also go another cog with our disposal.

Notice how everyone jumped all over North after losing to us....they were called very disappointing in some sections of the media, and it honestly did feel like we smashed them in certain areas.

We won by 3 goals.

Encouraging to see improvement and our willingness to compete, but we need to get a LOT better with the ball in our hands.

LostDoggy
24-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I know it may not be our focus...But if we are to make the Top 8 by Season's end, we have to win this week OR next week IMO...

bornadog
24-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Marks inside 50 is a big concern for us.

Rocco Jones
24-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Notice how everyone jumped all over North after losing to us....they were called very disappointing in some sections of the media, and it honestly did feel like we smashed them in certain areas.

We won by 3 goals.

Encouraging to see improvement and our willingness to compete, but we need to get a LOT better with the ball in our hands.

Basically we have to work way too hard for our goals.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Who do we tag?[/B]

Sides have been putting more attention in forward tags on HB rebounders Enright and Mackie. Perhaps Picken can go to one, not sure about the other. Grant or Dickson? I have doubts about their tank. We could try to make one of them accountable by playing a goal scoring threat who we target like Higgins or Gia. I am a bit worried about how damaging their HBs are and how our small forwards don't have great tanks..

Great Preview Rocco,

the bit above I think is going to be the critical battle that will go along way toward determining the result tomorrow night.

Given our strength this season at and around the contest, I expect us to win lots of ball. However our inability to convert what has been a plethora of ball inside our forward 50 into scoreboard pressure has been well documented. I can foresee based on this that Mackie and Enright could potentially carve us up on the rebound all night long unless we devise a successful plan to diminish their impact.

Picken is our best bet to lock down one, but I'm with you Rocco, I'm not sure we have another lockdown type who we can play on the other, perhaps we have to rotate a couple of our more potentially scoreboard impacting types on one. Gia, Higgins or Dickson may not have the 4 Qtr tank to do it, but perhaps rotating these types through that position throughout the game and keeping them fresh may be an option.

Rocco Jones
24-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Picken is our best bet to lock down one, but I'm with you Rocco, I'm not sure we have another lockdown type who we can play on the other, perhaps we have to rotate a couple of our more otentially scoreboard impacting types on one. Gia, Higgins or Dickson may not have the 4 Qtr tank to do it, but perhaps rotating these types through that position throughout the game and keeping them fresh may be an option.

Yep. Would love to see Grant have a bit of a crack at one of the jobs as well. Really hope Scarlett isn't fit and firing as he alongside Mackie and Enright would love how we enter our forward line.

Rocco Jones
24-05-2012, 08:44 PM
B-Mac on 360 all but confirming Picken will play on Selwood.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-05-2012, 08:51 PM
B-Mac on 360 all but confirming Picken will play on Selwood.

Well I sure as heck hope somehow during the week our forward line has found the Rosetta stone and have deciphered how to read the ball coming into their area, because if they haven't it's going to be flying down the other end with alarming speed.

Bulldog Joe
24-05-2012, 08:51 PM

Yes pre-season I did give us a chance of a good start.

I thought we could beat West Coast (and we had chances despite the margin), Adelaide (again had chances plus Adelaide are better than I thought) and St Kilda (when we were just atrocious with our turnovers).

This was the game I gave us no chance in.

While we haven't done as well as I expected, we are going much better than many predicted.

F'scary
24-05-2012, 09:42 PM
thanks Rocco, good coverage of the opposition too. Great thread, thoroughly enjoyed the read.

bulldogsman
24-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Good read Rocco :)

Like you I'd be surprised if we one this one.

westdog54
25-05-2012, 01:57 AM

If you're talking about this (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10379) thread, then a couple of things:

BJ had us potentially winning 6 from our first 8, and picked us to beat Adelaide, StKilda, Melbourne, GC and GWS, with one of the others being possibly winnable;
The Geelong game wasn't even raised in this thread.

So by my reckoning, of the 5 wins he did pick us for we've won 3 of them, and we've also one won of the other 3.

He also was referring to the negativity that existed in general on the board prior to round 1.

You used to be a great contributor to this forum but quite frankly your incessant negativity and belittling questions that you fire at otherwise meaningful contributions are becoming a bit tired. I thought you were better than that.

And if you're going to take cheap shots at a moderator of all people, at least make the effort to look the thread up and get your facts straight.

1eyedog
25-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi all, I've been away for a few days, why is Grant out of the side? Is he injured?

Hotdog60
25-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi all, I've been away for a few days, why is Grant out of the side? Is he injured?

Your guess is as good as ours, he may have come away with a niggle last week but has just been omitted.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2012, 11:36 AM
It is very very hard not to like Brendan McCartney. It is very very hard not to be optimistic about where our side is going. What's a poor supporter to do? How are are we not supposed to finish off the working week, and despite the fact we are playing the greatest club in the AFL, not have some optimism about this game? And opps! Will Minson is poster boy of theage! I feel a win coming on!
COME ON DOGGIES!

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Grant was quite good last week from what other posters said as I was out last Saturday night. Do you think he'll play for Willy this weekend.

Sockeye Salmon
25-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Grant was quite good last week from what other posters said as I was out last Saturday night. Do you think he'll play for Willy this weekend.

Bet you $1000 he doesn't

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Bet you $1000 he doesn't

Do you think its good that Macca has given Grant a rest or should have he been named in this week's side after his good game last week.

Sockeye Salmon
25-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Do you think its good that Macca has given Grant a rest or should have he been named in this week's side after his good game last week.

I'm a massive believer in giving players a week off occasionally. It's a long season and most players are knackered by the end. One week off now could easily prevent a much worse injury later, not to mention that by keeping them fresh and free of niggles their output will increase as well.

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm a massive believer in giving players a week off occasionally. It's a long season and most players are knackered by the end. One week off now could easily prevent a much worse injury later, not to mention that by keeping them fresh and free of niggles their output will increase as well.

Good point Sockeye. It is especially important for the younger players as a long season can take its toll on them. There are some players though in our team that will play week in week out except if there injured such as Boyd, Cross and regardless of how there form is going.

stefoid
25-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Bet you $1000 he doesn't

Particularly since Willi has a bye ;)

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 03:08 PM

I see.

Sockeye Salmon
25-05-2012, 03:19 PM

I would have taken his money, too.

EasternWest
25-05-2012, 05:25 PM
And if you're going to take cheap shots at a moderator of all people, at least make the effort to look the thread up and get your facts straight.

Are moderators a better class of poster?

It's a recurring theme on this board, I'm not sure why it should matter who the recipient is.

Particularly vexatious are the posters that single out other posters for their selections in the "bests" but never, ever post their own votes.

We're all in this together, so why can't we tone down the aggression and have constructive discourse, even when we disagree?

Just my two cents. I like WOOF, but it can be hard work at times.

westdog54
25-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Are moderators a better class of poster?

No, but they put in the work to monitor the forum to ensure that people are following the rules and keeping the discussion constructive. A lot of this is often done behind the scenes by way of PMs and is not seen at large.

Moderators are the exemption to the 'if you don't like it, you don't have to read it' adage.

EasternWest
25-05-2012, 07:40 PM
No, but they put in the work to monitor the forum to ensure that people are following the rules and keeping the discussion constructive. A lot of this is often done behind the scenes by way of PMs and is not seen at large.

Moderators are the exemption to the 'if you don't like it, you don't have to read it' adage.

That's a reasonable thing to say, and I take you at your word.

But I'm not sure it matters who the target of unnecessary derision is, that was my point.

westdog54
25-05-2012, 08:57 PM
That's a reasonable thing to say, and I take you at your word.

But I'm not sure it matters who the target of unnecessary derision is, that was my point.

Fair enough, point taken.

Don't hesitate to report posts using the ! button on the forum if you think they cross the line, whether its directed you at not.

Mantis
25-05-2012, 10:06 PM
If you're talking about this (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10379) thread, then a couple of things:

BJ had us potentially winning 6 from our first 8, and picked us to beat Adelaide, StKilda, Melbourne, GC and GWS, with one of the others being possibly winnable;
The Geelong game wasn't even raised in this thread.

So by my reckoning, of the 5 wins he did pick us for we've won 3 of them, and we've also one won of the other 3.

He also was referring to the negativity that existed in general on the board prior to round 1.

You used to be a great contributor to this forum but quite frankly your incessant negativity and belittling questions that you fire at otherwise meaningful contributions are becoming a bit tired. I thought you were better than that.

So people on here can't fight there own battles?

How *!*!*!*!ing precious are we.

And sorry my contributions aren't meeting my usual standards... I'll keep that in mind next time I'm about to post a pile of shit.