PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coaches Moving forward

Bulldog Revolution
21-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Apart from Mifsud we dont know exactly who will not be back as Assistant Coaches next season

But it seems more than likely there will be some changes or shuffling

Do people see Monty as an assistant coach for us?
Luke Darcy?
Rohan Smith?

Lots of people have stated Libba has burnt his bridges with us, and he is obviously an abrasive character but there is definitely part of me that thinks we could use his in your face approach to developing our kids. What do others think?

Richie Vandenberg?

Are there many of the retiring players we might consider?

Go_Dogs
21-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Monty has been offered a role already as I understand it.

bornadog
21-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Heard Libba talking this afternoon on SEN and he said he is keeping his options open as is looking for a role with a club. Didn't mention the dogs at all.

MrMahatma
21-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Heard Libba talking this afternoon on SEN and he said he is keeping his options open as is looking for a role with a club. Didn't mention the dogs at all.

I read that as he hasn't had any offers but would take whatever offer he'd get.

The Underdog
22-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Monty has been offered a role already as I understand it.

He actually spent the 2nd half of this year assisting the fitness staff (he has some sort of qualification in the fitness/ human movement area). Although I'm not sure I'd be bragging too hard about that if I was him.

mjp
22-09-2007, 07:35 PM
No hirings or firings until the review is complete...so probably until the middle of October until any real news in this space.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2007, 11:36 PM
I would love it if we could entice Mark Riccuitto to the club as an assistant coach, not sure he'd want to leave Adelaide tho.

dog town
25-09-2007, 01:01 PM
If Josh Mahoney retires he would be worth a look at. Highly rated at Port for that sort of stuff. James Clement would probably be a good option to.

aker39
25-09-2007, 01:09 PM
If Josh Mahoney retires he would be worth a look at. Highly rated at Port for that sort of stuff. James Clement would probably be a good option to.

I read yesterday that Dean Bailey has offered Josh a position at Melbourne.

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2007, 10:03 AM
I think Mahoney invested considerable time in his coaching before getting his opportunity at Port

What would people think of Richie Vandenberg? I think this group needs a no nonsense straight talker who can help us get stronger over the ball

Mantis
26-09-2007, 11:32 AM
What would people think of Richie Vandenberg? I think this group needs a no nonsense straight talker who can help us get stronger over the ball

Is this our problem? And how will him talking make our player's stronger? I would have thought the way to get stronger is to do the hard yards in the gym and on the track.

I dont see our problem as not having enough players who put there heads over the ball. All this talk about us being 'soft' in this respect is crap. What is a problem is the fact that our players don't work hard enough when they don't have the ball. If Vandenberg or someone else can help our player's improve in this area then I'm all for it.

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Is this our problem? And how will him talking make our player's stronger? I would have thought the way to get stronger is to do the hard yards in the gym and on the track.

I dont see our problem as not having enough players who put there heads over the ball. All this talk about us being 'soft' in this respect is crap. What is a problem is the fact that our players don't work hard enough when they don't have the ball. If Vandenberg or someone else can help our player's improve in this area then I'm all for it.

I guess I was just thinking of surrounding the players with someone who demanded that type of intensity and scrappiness in both winning the ball and doing the stuff without it.

It seems to have worked at Hawthorn where Clarkson, Hardwick and Viney have a very physically assertive group - admittedly they lost the plot in there final but they have improved markedly.

I think our players put there heads over it, but aren't heavy/strong enough to do any damage once they have it.

dog town
26-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Vandenberg said after his last game he was pretty keen on travelling for a while.

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Vandenberg said after his last game he was pretty keen on travelling for a while.

Cheers dog town hadn't heard that

Rocco Jones
27-09-2007, 11:30 PM
A few have mentioned Josh Mahoney. Apparently Melbourne, Carlton and Port are interested in him as an assistant coach.

Apparently Ashley Prescott was close to landing a job with us last year. He coached Claremont to a Grand Final this year. I went to uni with a Claremont player and he is apparently very popular with the playing group.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Apparently Ashley Prescott was close to landing a job with us last year. He coached Claremont to a Grand Final this year. I went to uni with a Claremont player and he is apparently very popular with the playing group.

Welcome to WOOF Rocco.

Prescott has had a good 5 odd years running his own ship and I think thats the type of background where the coach brings a lot of his own ideas and experiences on handling different situations.

I also wonder if Neal Daniher would consider an assistant coaching role, or even Dennis Pagan? I know its a step down for them but if they want to coach then I believe the best way is to stay involved and keep working and learning.

Do people think Daniher or Pagan would have something to offer?

GVGjr
28-09-2007, 09:12 AM
I'd be having a look at Gary O'Donnell's availability. He might think it's time to move on from Essendon after yesterdays appointment.

The Doctor
28-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I'd be having a look at Gary O'Donnell's availability. He might think it's time to move on from Essendon after yesterdays appointment.

certainly agree with that one. Wonder how he would feel.

It's time to shake up our coaching panel. At least one if not two assistants should move on. Some fresh ideas are needed to rejuvenate our startegies and planning. O'Donnell seems a perfect fit to replace Bond if he goes.

I'd also like to get one of these other profile assistants like Hardwick, Sumich, McKenna et al.

GVGjr
28-09-2007, 10:52 AM
certainly agree with that one. Wonder how he would feel.

It's time to shake up our coaching panel. At least one if not two assistants should move on. Some fresh ideas are needed to rejuvenate our startegies and planning. O'Donnell seems a perfect fit to replace Bond if he goes.

I'd also like to get one of these other profile assistants like Hardwick, Sumich, McKenna et al.

If Bond moves on then we should move on at least two of the rest. Drain should probably survive.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2007, 01:13 PM

I got the feeling that the Essendon administration was remaining pretty stable, but hes had some good experience now and certainly has a reputation as a good football brain

Go_Dogs
28-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I feel Mahoney will follow Bailey. That Port School of Learning....

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2007, 04:37 PM
If Bond moves on then we should move on at least two of the rest. Drain should probably survive.

Why do you think the futures of Cameron and Wellman should be tied to Bond?

Raw Toast
28-09-2007, 06:16 PM
A few have mentioned Josh Mahoney. Apparently Melbourne, Carlton and Port are interested in him as an assistant coach.

Good to see you here Rocco.

Prescott sounds like a good match and I agree with the others calling for a bit of a sweep of positions.

I heard Bond asked about all this on 774 a few weeks back and liked that he mentioned he felt there was unfinished business with us and that might keep him here next year (we've offered him a two-year contract haven't we?).

Wouldn't mind seeing Cameron and Wellman go, and would like to get one of the high-profile assistant's possibly on the move, maybe especially Hardwick. Mahoney would also be very welcome.

I don't know much about Rhen (who has parted company with Brisbane) but I'd be interested in getting him as well because of his rucking expertise. What's Matt Rendell doing these days? He was supposed to be the intelligent one in the Saints box when Thomas was there wasn't he?

The Coon Dog
28-09-2007, 06:26 PM
What's Matt Rendell doing these days? He was supposed to be the intelligent one in the Saints box when Thomas was there wasn't he?

Involved with the Adelaide Crows in some capacity.

GVGjr
28-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Why do you think the futures of Cameron and Wellman should be tied to Bond?

I don't think either of them are candidates for the senior assistant coaching position and basically if they are not promotable or don't have a particular skill that separates them from other assistant coaches then they should be moved on.

southerncross
29-09-2007, 09:35 AM

Did I read somewhere that Shaun Rehn cancelled himself out of coaching to be a farmer?

The Bulldogs Bite
03-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Now that Bond has left for Fremantle, I thought I'd bump this discussion.

Who would you like to see he be replaced by?

I personally wouldn't mind the club going after Michael Voss, as I think he would have a fair bit to offer. Superstar player, three premierships, brownlow medalist, apart of & captained the greatest side ever & played under Leigh Matthews. He's an articulate man with a good knowledge of the game, I think he could teach our group one or two things, especially leadership.

Kevin Sheedy hasn't been appointed to anything yet, has he? I wouldn't mind seeing him being given some sort of role at The Dogs, as if I recall correctly he said he would be interested in helping some of the 'lower' Melbourne clubs.

Thoughts?

GVGjr
03-10-2007, 07:07 PM
We need a quality senior assistant coach. I think Gary Ayers has been given the flick by Knights and could perhaps be a consideration. I think Wallis was flicked as well.
I have always been impressed by Shaun Rehn but I think he might have given up on the footy at the moment.
Perhaps a guy like Leigh Tudor could be considered.

mjp
03-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Michael Voss? Maybe. He should take on an assistants role if he actually wants to coach...I doubt he will though.

Sheedy? Not sure what we would get out of this except for publicity.

I would like to see us add 2 full-time development coaches - one for the 1st and 2nd year group, one for the 3-5 year players. Collingwood have done this with Scott and Richardson, and some of the things I saw Richardson present this year were fantastic. Anyone out of his program who 'gets it' and is a genuine teacher would be good.

In terms of Bond's replacement, get the best assistant available. Be it Sumich, McKenna, whoever it is - use the Mark Harvey principle on these guys. Remember, Bond was originally offered the Freo assistants role that Harvey ended up taking...now one of them is a coach, and the other an administrator. Basically, find the guy roundly considered the next coach in waiting and make them an offer that they cant refuse.

I have no idea whether Cameron or Wellman are any good really, so I am quite happy for both to stay or go!

Dry Rot
03-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Anyone for John Longmire from the swans?

GVGjr
03-10-2007, 07:39 PM

I think a deal was being structured that would see Longmire groomed to take over from Roos in a few years. I think he is off the market.

mjp
03-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Exactly the sort of guy we should go after, and go after hard. Not sure if he is gettable - or if Eade would be interested - but would be the type of appointment I would like to see.

macca028
03-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Voss would be a great get. We should have held on to silvagni and i think we need to restructure our football department. Get someone in like a neil balme to run it instead of eade having all of the responsibilty. Someone like sheedy would be perfect.

The Coon Dog
03-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Voss would be a great get. We should have held on to silvagni and i think we need to restructure our football department. Get someone in like a neil balme to run it instead of eade having all of the responsibilty. Someone like sheedy would be perfect.
Not too sure if Voss would be comfortable with Aker. They seemed very strained earlier this year.

aker39
03-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Voss would be a great get. We should have held on to silvagni and i think we need to restructure our football department.

Brian Harris went from having his worst year (with Silvagni as his coach), to a B&F winning year. I think we can do without Silvagni.

Bulldog Revolution
04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Matthew Knights has cleared out Gary Ayres and Dean Wallis - the speculation had earlier indicated Wallis likely to join Freo, hopefully Ayres is heading back to the bottle shop

Gary ODonnell was originally offered a scouting role - but he did not feel that was challenging enough and so has been offered the backline at Essendon. This could be the perfect time to swoop on him if we want him as a replacement for Bond. Always seemed a very astute footy brain as a player, and is the well spoken intellectual type like our Rocket.

Port rumoured to be considering Neale Daniher - although it is in the advertiser so its probably off the port BF board

macca028
04-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Brian Harris went from having his worst year (with Silvagni as his coach), to a B&F winning year. I think we can do without Silvagni.

Under Silvagni Brian Harris went from an average defender to a gun. Well done on him winning the best and fairest this year but its not a good sign for the team if the full back is having so much of the ball that he wins the best and fairest. I think Silvagni improved the dogs backline. Although Leon Cameron is doing a good job now.

LostDoggy
04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Under Silvagni Brian Harris went from an average defender to a gun. Well done on him winning the best and fairest this year but its not good for the team if the ful;l back is having so much of the ball that he wins the best and fairest. Silvagni improved the dogs backline alot

Incorrect. Harris was pretty good in 05 prior to Silvagni arriving. He did not improve to any great extent under Silvagni.
Premiership are built on defences, nothing wrong having your FB win the B&F.

southerncross
10-10-2007, 06:33 AM
It was reported in the paper this morning that Wellman has resigned and is moving on from the Dogs so it means we will need to find two replacements.
Wasn't there also talk of Drain leaving as well?
How important is it to get these coaching positions filled in the next month?
With the players coming back from their holidays I would think that training will commence soon.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22560339%255E20322,00.html

Reported in the Herald Sun today:

Meanwhile, Bulldogs assistant coach Sean Wellman has resigned and is pursing other opportunities in the AFL.

The Underdog
10-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Mentioned in the Age that he's expected to be appointed to the Melbourne coaching staff.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2007, 10:46 AM
So that means Mifsud, Bond, Wellman and Atkins (VFL) all gone

Incoming: Gotch (VFL and assistant), ???, ???

GVGjr
10-10-2007, 11:01 AM
So that means Mifsud, Bond, Wellman and Atkins (VFL) all gone

Incoming: Gotch (VFL and assistant), ???, ???

Huge shake up. Whats does this leave us. Eade, Cameron and Drain with some question marks over Drain staying

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Huge shake up. Whats does this leave us. Eade, Cameron and Drain with some question marks over Drain staying

I've not heard any talk of Drain going - have you?

GVGjr
10-10-2007, 11:29 AM
I've not heard any talk of Drain going - have you?

I have seen something in the paper and it was talked about on SEN. It's doesn't mean that he is going but just that there is some speculation. It would be a massive clean out if he goes.

The Underdog
10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Maybe we could promote Wayne Campbell, it'd be funny just to watch BF explode.

Seriously though it's kind of odd that Wellman has left now. I don't know if the review had anything to do with it, but it's a fair turnover in staff.
Looks like we'll have a 2/5 or 3/5 new coaching staff and have turned over nearly a quarter of the list. Bit of a shakeup.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I have seen something in the paper and it was talked about on SEN. It's doesn't mean that he is going but just that there is some speculation. It would be a massive clean out if he goes.

Interesting - I've been impressed with Drain - not a big salesman, not interested in having a large profile, but certainly an astute thinker

I wonder if there might be Swans or Hawks colleague Eade would look to add

Go_Dogs
10-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I for one, am happy to see a bit of a shake up and some new blood coming into the coaching panel.

BulldogBelle
10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
I for one, am happy to see a bit of a shake up and some new blood coming into the coaching panel.

Wonder if all this has come about because of the Internal review.

The Coon Dog
11-10-2007, 08:23 AM
I see that Brett Montgomery has joined the coaching staff at Carlton. Be VERY interesting to see who we do bring onboard.

GVGjr
11-10-2007, 08:42 AM
I see that Brett Montgomery has joined the coaching staff at Carlton. Be VERY interesting to see who we do bring onboard.

We also seem to be behind the other clubs in getting this sorted out.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2007, 09:35 AM
We also seem to be behind the other clubs in getting this sorted out.

We do seem slow but I guess all will be revealed in the fullness of time

Monty joins Carlton, Prescott joins Essendon, ODonnell trying to persuade Brennan to join the Dons suggests he is not going anywhere,

Ratten has put together an interesting mix - Mark Riley from Melbourne, Montgommery, plus I presume Gavin Crossisca, BMitchell with Craig Bradley and Terry Danniher as part timers

Libba is still out there, but maybe it is looking likely that Wayne Campbell will be promoted

Would he consider Conan (Gary Ayres)?

bornadog
11-10-2007, 09:58 AM
but maybe it is looking likely that Wayne Campbell will be promoted

We really need assistants that have experienced success in premierships and have been an assistant under a winning Coach. Wayne Campbell does not fit the bill. I know I am assuming that he isnot a good teacher/Coach of young guys but I just feel success breeds success. Hopefully Eade will pull a rabbit out of a hat and bring in some good people to back him up. As they say, you are only as good as the people that work for you.

GVGjr
16-10-2007, 06:31 AM
With Matthew Drain now leaving it's not a good sign at all.

The Underdog
16-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Um wel, I guess based on last season we didn't need a high performance coach, just a moderate peformance coach or a rubbish performance coach:(
Seriously though, this has gotten out of hand. It looks terrible from the outside.

Crizza
16-10-2007, 08:36 AM
This is really not the best start to our season. Are there any obvious replacements we are chasing?
Are recently retired ex players with little or no experience our only options?

Go_Dogs
16-10-2007, 09:51 AM
With Matthew Drain now leaving it's not a good sign at all.

Drain has left too? Gee. Not good at all.

I think it's time we think about the box and appoint a few 'surprise' people, perhaps from other sporting backgrounds - as long as they're elite. A few of the younger wanna be coaches going around could attract our interest too.

We are sure going to have a lot of appointments to make.

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2007, 02:23 PM
With all the departures I am actually wondering if Libba may come back into the mix

He is from all reports definitely available and would not be in a strong position to negotiate over $.

Mantis
16-10-2007, 02:50 PM
With all the departures I am actually wondering if Libba may come back into the mix

He is from all reports definitely available and would not be in a strong position to negotiate over $.

But does Eade want him? I would think not.

LostDoggy
16-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Seriously though, this has gotten out of hand. It looks terrible from the outside.

Well, its got me worried! Surely we should be starting to appoint people soon?
What positions need filling?

dog town
16-10-2007, 06:43 PM

Big rumour floating around Sunbury that Libba could be coaching the Sunbury Lions in the Ballarat Football League.

FrediKanoute
17-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Big rumour floating around Sunbury that Libba could be coaching the Sunbury Lions in the Ballarat Football League.

Word on the main board is that the Tigers are circling around Clayton....now that would be a definite loss, especially this close to the draft etc. It is starting to become a concern the mass exodus on the offfield side of things.

GVGjr
17-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Word on the main board is that the Tigers are circling around Clayton....now that would be a definite loss, especially this close to the draft etc. It is starting to become a concern the mass exodus on the offield side of things.

I'm not so sure. Like senior and assistant coaches there comes a time when recruiting managers also need to be moved on. I'm definitely not saying I want him gone but he has had more than a fair run at it. Perhaps a more senior role within the club would be good for Clayton.

The real concern is why so many of the support team are moving on. It could be Eade, it could be the conditions they are asked to work under but it also could be just a need for the club to clean out and start again.

bornadog
17-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Word on the main board is that the Tigers are circling around Clayton....now that would be a definite loss, especially this close to the draft etc. It is starting to become a concern the mass exodus on the offfield side of things.

You know what, I am sick and tired of Ricmond throwing money at Bulldogs players, support staff etc etc, what is wrong with them can't they develop their own.

bornadog
17-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm not so sure. Like senior and assistant coaches there comes a time when recruiting managers also need to be moved on. I'm definitely not saying I want him gone but he has had more than a fair run at it. Perhaps a more senior role within the club would be good for Clayton.

The real concern is why so many of the support team are moving on. It could be Eade, it could be the conditions they are asked to work under but it also could be just a need for the club to clean out and start again.

After a bad season and a review of the football department, something had to give and I am sure it wasn't going to be Rocket getting the bullet, so assistants had to take the blame.

westdog54
17-10-2007, 11:37 AM
After a bad season and a review of the football department, something had to give and I am sure it wasn't going to be Rocket getting the bullet, so assistants had to take the blame.

The problem is everyone except Mifsud has walked. No-one's actually been given the flick or taken the blame. Its extremely concerning, especially now with Scott Clayton being targeted as rumored on BF, and reported by Mark Robinson. Hopefully he doesn't go anywhere before the draft.

LostDoggy
17-10-2007, 11:56 AM
The same thing happened at sydney. Eade ripped the guts out of the club. Very worrying times

mjp
17-10-2007, 12:22 PM
The problem is everyone except Mifsud has walked. No-one's actually been given the flick or taken the blame. Its extremely concerning, especially now with Scott Clayton being targeted as rumored on BF, and reported by Mark Robinson. Hopefully he doesn't go anywhere before the draft.

Are you sure?

Mantis
17-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Are you sure?

Is it a matter of jumping before being pushed?

If you were an assistant coach at the club this year you would have to pretty gullible to believe that there wouldn't be a major shake-up after the poor performance we put in this year.

It reads better on your resume that you resigned rather than had your contracted terminated.

The Underdog
20-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Article on the Dogs site says Cameron to take over midfield, Wayne Campbell to coach the forwards (look out your window, you may see Benno explode from your place), defensive coach to be appointed this week, and still in the early stages of searching for a replacement for Drain. Gotch as we know is the development coach replacing Mifsud.

Bickys
21-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Is it just me or is it a bit unnerving reading about who's leaving, who's being targeted by other clubs, with no news coming from the kennel?

With Drain leaving it gives a great reason for the Club to look at Sheedy. Perhaps the dogs should look at Chris Grant, even in a part time role, of course he would need to be interested, but it gives him an opportunity to back up what he said when he retired.

LostDoggy
21-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Whatever they do they need to appoint someone with a high profile name or a respected former player. This haemoraging from the club is worrying:(

LostDoggy
21-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Whatever they do they need to appoint someone with a high profile name or a respected former player. This haemoraging from the club is worrying:(
Yes we can't just put our head in the sand and have blind faith that Rocket, Smorgo and Rose will sort everything out. The rumours at the moment are very strong that all is not well.

FrediKanoute
22-10-2007, 04:18 AM
They are rumours. Nothing more than rumours at this stage. No sense getting all worked up over things. I think people are reading into things a little too much. Drain was a quality guy who was obviously head-hunted. Mifsud left to take up an AFL Indigenous development role. Bond had been with the doggies for 7 or 8 years and needed fresh pastures if he was ever to take the next step. Wellman, time to move on and Monty, well given the amount of cash being splashed by Pratt, who can blame him. There are no sinister issues with any of these departures. As for McMahon, who knows whether he got the support or not, but airing dirty laundry is poor form in any industry. If you look back on mcMahon's history with Eade it was always one where you got the impression that Eade knew he had talent but always thought that he was too lazy, had too many bad habits, to transform that talent into the consistency required to be a top level player.

I don't see in any of this a problem and scare-mongering, feeding the rumour mill and casting a veil of doom and gloom is counter productive to where the team should be heading.

FrediKanoute
22-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Yes we can't just put our head in the sand and have blind faith that Rocket, Smorgo and Rose will sort everything out. The rumours at the moment are very strong that all is not well.

Have faith, both Cam and Smorgo are 2 of australia's shrewdest businessmen. As for Eade, he is a quality operator and a good coach. 2007 was disappointing, but it just whets the appetite for 2008.

GVGjr
22-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Is it just me or is it a bit unnerving reading about who's leaving, who's being targeted by other clubs, with no news coming from the kennel?

With Drain leaving it gives a great reason for the Club to look at Sheedy. Perhaps the dogs should look at Chris Grant, even in a part time role, of course he would need to be interested, but it gives him an opportunity to back up what he said when he retired.

Sheedy would not be the right man for us and Chris Grant needs at least a season away from us. My understanding is that Chris is not looking to a career in coaching now that his playing days are over.

Go_Dogs
22-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Sheedy would not be the right man for us and Chris Grant needs at least a season away from us. My understanding is that Chris is not looking to a career in coaching now that his playing days are over.

Why would you be against Sheedy GVGjr? If he was prepared to take a reduced role and follow instruction from Rocket as well as being able to offer his own honest appraisal, I think he could do a reasonable job.

GVGjr
22-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Why would you be against Sheedy GVGjr? If he was prepared to take a reduced role and follow instruction from Rocket as well as being able to offer his own honest appraisal, I think he could do a reasonable job.

He just doesn't strike me as an administrator and his best days are long gone as a coach. Good for getting us a few headlines but they might not be for the right reasons and Akermanis can do that for us anyway :)

Crizza
22-10-2007, 08:56 PM
He just doesn't strike me as an administrator and his best days are long gone as a coach. Good for getting us a few headlines but they might not be for the right reasons and Akermanis can do that for us anyway :)

Imagine that Sheedy and Aker at the Kennel. We would be in the paper everyday! Not such a bad idea, could attract more members, sponsorship?

The Bulldogs Bite
22-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Imagine that Sheedy and Aker at the Kennel. We would be in the paper everyday! Not such a bad idea, could attract more members, sponsorship?

Probably, but the club has done a fair bit of off-field work in the last few seasons as far as Memebrships and Sponserships are concerned. Sure - more would be nice, but IMO the only way this club is going to get more is by actually winning games of football and winning in finals. Until ten, kiss whatever else goodbye.

At first I was for Sheedy, but I can see why he wouldn't be attractive as an assistant. He's very much an ego driven coach. Not sure he could play second fiddle. He'd be fantastic for exposure, but for a club like ours trying to actually turn around our efforts ON the field, we'd probably be better off going for somebody else. If we were an on-field successful club, the idea of introducing Kevin Sheedy would perhaps make more sense as it would further boost our club off-field.

For now, we need to focus on getting things right on the track. Rose etc. have done a fantastic job to date in terms of membership & sponsership, the only way forward would be to prove it ON field.

That's my take on it, anyway.

FrediKanoute
22-10-2007, 10:50 PM

Put simply the bolded bit is your answer. Sheed's is a fiddler. He gets too involved and I doubt very much whether he could sit back in an advisory role. To give an example, Fulham FC in the premier legaue tried something similar with Jean Tigana and franco Baresi. Baresi was brought in as an "expert" to give advice - Tigana's response was to shut him out entirely because in effect it was saying the club had no confidence in him.

Its pretty much what we would be saying to eade if we went down this path. If we had an inexperienced coach then maybe you could justify it, but not with a coach who has 10 or so years experience.

If you are going to go down that path then you need to install a Director of Football and make Eade and Clayton report into him. The DoF is the link between the Board and the playing group and he is responsible for setting the strategy etc. Its a matter of finding someone who does this well. Two that stand out are Balme and Shaw (robert), but you may look at guys like Giechen or Schwab....guys who are good communicators..not necessarily great coaches!

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Put simply the bolded bit is your answer. Sheed's is a fiddler. He gets too involved and I doubt very much whether he could sit back in an advisory role. To give an example, Fulham FC in the premier legaue tried something similar with Jean Tigana and franco Baresi. Baresi was brought in as an "expert" to give advice - Tigana's response was to shut him out entirely because in effect it was saying the club had no confidence in him.

Its pretty much what we would be saying to eade if we went down this path. If we had an inexperienced coach then maybe you could justify it, but not with a coach who has 10 or so years experience.

If you are going to go down that path then you need to install a Director of Football and make Eade and Clayton report into him. The DoF is the link between the Board and the playing group and he is responsible for setting the strategy etc. Its a matter of finding someone who does this well. Two that stand out are Balme and Shaw (robert), but you may look at guys like Giechen or Schwab....guys who are good communicators..not necessarily great coaches!

Please not Giechen or Schwab - they've ****ed up every job they've ever had!

FrediKanoute
23-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Please not Giechen or Schwab - they've ****ed up every job they've ever had!

I'd disagree with that. Both have done a pretty good job as "umpires coach". Given its a role which requires more communiction and analysis than technical coaching, to me they would be good candidates for an oversight role. Both failed as coaches, but then so too did Balme and Robert Shaw was just good with limited cattle. Its horses for courses and what you're looking for in that role is ideally someone capable of taking a detached view of the world and communicating between admin and playing group. Even someone like Rhode would be good in that type of role because of their ability to see and deal with the big picture.

Sockeye Salmon
23-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd disagree with that. Both have done a pretty good job as "umpires coach". Given its a role which requires more communiction and analysis than technical coaching, to me they would be good candidates for an oversight role. Both failed as coaches, but then so too did Balme and Robert Shaw was just good with limited cattle. Its horses for courses and what you're looking for in that role is ideally someone capable of taking a detached view of the world and communicating between admin and playing group. Even someone like Rhode would be good in that type of role because of their ability to see and deal with the big picture.

We'll have to agree to disagree, Fredi, I think both Gieschen and Schwab have been terrible with the umpires.

aker39
23-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Gieschen as Director of Umpiring is the biggest waste of money. He does nothing to improve the standard of umpiring.

He is there simply to take the pressure of Vlad & Anderson. They have a "football" person there to address the football clubs concerns.

As for Peter Schwab, is has had a very cushy career path. Director of umpiring, Match Revie Panel chairman and now head of AFL Victoria.

Dry Rot
23-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Anyone know the assistant coach set-up at other clubs?

We seem have former defenders and midfielders as forward coaches, which seems odd to me.

Bulldog Revolution
23-10-2007, 06:06 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree, Fredi, I think both Gieschen and Schwab have been terrible with the umpires.

I also remain unconvinced that either have done great things with the umpires

Geischen completely had the stuffing knocked out of him when he was sacked at Richmond - before that he seemed to be an innovative coach but hes basically never coached since. Seemed to lack the charisma required for head coaching.

Raw Toast
23-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Hadn't seen this link posted so thought I'd put it up here, apologies if I missed it somewhere.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=4112&newsId=52668

Campbell as our forward's coach does sound a bit strange - at least Wellman spent most of his time playing on forwards. Though I guess senior coaches are expected to have a fair idea of the requirements of forwards, defenders, midfielders and rucks and most have only played one position.

Hopefully we get a decent defensive coach and do get get an extra development coach as well.

Robert Shaw might be ok as a football operations guy. What does the position involve? At least he was at Essendon when they were successful IIRC, and would be used to dealing with a coach who may not get on with every member of the exec ;)