PDA

View Full Version : Round 9 - Other Matches

Eastdog
24-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Another round has rolled around and it all starts tomorrow night with our match against Geelong. This is for all discussion of all the other Round 9 matches not involving us.

chef
26-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Looking forward to tonight's Crows/Pies game(Thank God for Foxtel). Can't believe 7 would rather show the Hird/Sheedy wankfest.

chef
26-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Is the sleeping giant waking.

comrade
26-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Richmond midfield > Carlton midfield

Eastdog
26-05-2012, 05:17 PM
So much for Hawthorn being Premiership contenders with a performance I like that.

Remi Moses
26-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Hawthorn are no hope of winning the flag.
Richmond in with a big chance of the eight, and how good is Cotchin?
Tiges massacred them at the clearances , contested footy, and just worked harder.

azabob
26-05-2012, 05:49 PM
So much for Hawthorn being Premiership contenders with a performance I like that.

Spot on, when this year has Hawthorn actually looked like a premiership contender?

Hotdog60
26-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Just shows how open the competition is, percentage will play a big part in this years finalists.

Remi Moses
26-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Stkilda giving the Swans a touch up.
Lenny Hayes's 250th, they were always going to win.
Personally reckon Sydney are in that 5 to 8 region , and Stkilda in that bottom part of the eight to 10 region.

AndrewP6
26-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Collingwood leads the Cows by 1 point at qtr time.

Eastdog
26-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Crowd and Pies look like a good game.

comrade
26-05-2012, 09:23 PM
GWS getting screwed by the umpires and their shoddy goal kicking.

AndrewP6
26-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Crows had the better of it the last 5 or so minutes, still only a one point lead.

Eastdog
26-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Crows had the better of it the last 5 or so minutes, still only a one point lead.

Great intensity from both sides.

Eastdog
26-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Adelaide-Collingwood match could go either way. Essendon doing it easily against GWS.

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Looks like Hawthorn has been hit by the "experts' premiership favourite" curse that hit us last year.

The most impressive Richmond player for me by far was Martin. The guy is an elite athlete and decision-maker, super-clean with his disposal (perfect technique too, unlike Buddy), always looks like he has a lot of time, and has the balance and strength of a ballerina. Just a powerful, powerful unit that turns all 50/50 situations to his team's advantage, and will have three, four touches in sequences of play to create space and run the ball away from trouble.. very Ablett-like, and has the potential to be a better Judd than Judd, IMO.

If I could cherry-pick one player from any team for the Dogs, it would be him for sure.

Eastdog
26-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Looks like the Pies have got the Crows.

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 11:07 PM
ps. A real shame that Rance isn't a Dog. I guess Ward wasn't a bad consolation prize.

Remi Moses
26-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Great win by Collingwood.
Thomas 13 touches in the last quarter!! Down a man, undermanned and they get up.
A certain Norf great looking foolish saying some players don't get on with Buckley.
One tough game of football and not one easy touch.
Collingwood morons bagging Buckley early doors looking mighty stupid

Remi Moses
26-05-2012, 11:30 PM
ps. A real shame that Rance isn't a Dog. I guess Ward wasn't a bad consolation prize.

They picked Rance ahead of Ward anyway.
The only flaw with Rance is he can turn it over horrifically

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 11:45 PM
They picked Rance ahead of Ward anyway.
The only flaw with Rance is he can turn it over horrifically

I know. Rance was the pick before Ward's. We would have taken Alex if Richmond hadn't. Probably.

azabob
26-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Looks like Hawthorn has been hit by the "experts' premiership favourite" curse that hit us last year.

The most impressive Richmond player for me by far was Martin. The guy is an elite athlete and decision-maker, super-clean with his disposal (perfect technique too, unlike Buddy), always looks like he has a lot of time, and has the balance and strength of a ballerina. Just a powerful, powerful unit that turns all 50/50 situations to his team's advantage, and will have three, four touches in sequences of play to create space and run the ball away from trouble.. very Ablett-like, and has the potential to be a better Judd than Judd, IMO.

If I could cherry-pick one player from any team for the Dogs, it would be him for sure.

Is Martin helping out defensively yet? My one and only criticism of him last year is he didn't get back to help his defenders. He didn't appear to have the tank last year. I am in the minority on this board but I have liked watching the tigers develop over the last few years.

They have a really solid back six, their midfield will be elite and of course down forward they have a nice mix of tall and small. Very smart decision to get big Ivan to the club. He is helping them out big time.

azabob
26-05-2012, 11:48 PM
I know. Rance was the pick before Ward's. We would have taken Alex if Richmond hadn't. Probably.

That's what Scotty C said....

Sedat
27-05-2012, 02:17 AM
If I could cherry-pick one player from any team for the Dogs, it would be him for sure.I'd pick a clone of Dale Thomas. Massive tank, pace to burn, wins inside and outside ball, big game player, and a brilliant decision maker.

He was massive tonight when the whips were cracking.

LostDoggy
27-05-2012, 09:37 AM
I'd pick a clone of Dale Thomas. Massive tank, pace to burn, wins inside and outside ball, big game player, and a brilliant decision maker.

He was massive tonight when the whips were cracking.

Good one. Why wouldn't you just pick Dale Thomas himself instead of a clone? That way Collingwood wouldn't have him.

This probably deserves a thread, but who else out there would people pick on current form? Dangerfield I suppose.

Would be nice to have a natural goalkicking tall forward as well. We should have should have should have gone hard at Hawkins three years ago when he was completely out of favour and would have been relatively cheap (I'm sure a middling player -- like Hill -- and a second round pick would have done it). I remember mentioning him on one of our 'we need a key forward' threads.

comrade
27-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Good one. Why wouldn't you just pick Dale Thomas himself instead of a clone? That way Collingwood wouldn't have him.

This probably deserves a thread, but who else out there would people pick on current form? Dangerfield I suppose.

Would be nice to have a natural goalkicking tall forward as well. We should have should have should have gone hard at Hawkins three years ago when he was completely out of favour and would have been relatively cheap (I'm sure a middling player -- like Hill -- and a second round pick would have done it). I remember mentioning him on one of our 'we need a key forward' threads.

There's no way Geelong would have given up Hawkins for Hill and a dodgy pick. Wells, Balme and co are the best list management team in the comp and always looked at Hawkins as the replacement for Mooney.

LostDoggy
27-05-2012, 10:37 AM
There's no way Geelong would have given up Hawkins for Hill and a dodgy pick. Wells, Balme and co are the best list management team in the comp and always looked at Hawkins as the replacement for Mooney.

Three years ago Hill was seen as the second coming of Barass and Hawkins was getting lambasted weekly for being crap and a waste of a pick and played most of the season in the VFL. His continuing struggles was also why Geelong felt the need to recruit Pods and why, until last year, there were continuing questions about Geelong's forwardline in general.

I think if we had done the deal then Geelong would have been seen to be the ones getting away with murder, and we would have had incredibly unhappy supporters.

Your point about Wells and Balme is valid though and yes, they probably would have turned it down.

ps. If the trade had happened Hill would probably be a super-gun now, and Tomahawk may still be a struggling tall in our forwardline.

comrade
27-05-2012, 11:25 AM
ps. If the trade had happened Hill would probably be a super-gun now, and Tomahawk may still be a struggling tall in our forwardline.

Sad, but true.

Sockeye Salmon
27-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Three years ago Hill was seen as the second coming of Barass and Hawkins was getting lambasted weekly for being crap and a waste of a pick and played most of the season in the VFL.

Only on the internet.

Geelong were perfectly aware of where Hawkins was in his development and there was no chance they were going to let him go.

chef
27-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Only on the internet.

Geelong were perfectly aware of where Hawkins was in his development and there was no chance they were going to let him go.

Yep, this. Geelong would never have traded Hawkins. It would be like us trading Jones at the end of the year.

comrade
27-05-2012, 05:12 PM
If Carlton ran as hard defensively as they do when there's a goal to be had, they'd be much better.

Bunch of front running crabs.

Maddog37
27-05-2012, 06:45 PM
My opinion of Jack Watts has dropped after watching today. He just stops trying when the opposition get on top.

comrade
27-05-2012, 06:49 PM
My opinion of Jack Watts has dropped after watching today. He just stops trying when the opposition get on top.

He's got 23 other mates at Melbourne.

LostDoggy
27-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Melb/Carl was one of the worst games ive seen for a long time. I did watch it on/off but that 3rd quarter was horrible. Carlton played defensively trying to stop Melbourne from getting on top, and Melbourne played like they didn't wanna get on top.

Remi Moses
27-05-2012, 08:02 PM
West Coast ultra impressive.
Dominated after half time and Freo look second rate.Freo butchered the ball in their front half and just bombed in . John Worsfold was the only person in the universe who thought they could win a flag two years ago, the world thought he was stark mad!

Eastdog
27-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Just flicked it on to the Eagles v Dockers match and Freo have only scored 30 to West Coast 81 with a few minutes to go.

Eastdog
27-05-2012, 08:13 PM
That's the final game of the round done and dusted with the Eagles having a big win and looking pretty good.

dog town
27-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Three years ago Hill was seen as the second coming of Barass and Hawkins was getting lambasted weekly for being crap and a waste of a pick . That is because people are idiots. The media and some supporters might have jumped off Hawkins but you can guarantee the Geelong leadership never did.

Mantis
29-05-2012, 08:59 AM
He's got 23 other mates at Melbourne.

Are the AFL letting them play with 24? How the hell are they still getting pumped? :eek: