PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 9

westdog54
25-05-2012, 01:59 AM
This is the round 9 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Geelong is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Rance Fan
26-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Bankers
A bunch of players, who had question marks coming into the year
Will - week in week out playin well!
Gia/Higgins - 3 goals each did their job, although wished Higgins got in front at times
Wallis - has stepped up this season

Anchors -
Roughy - played well, just needed a few goals
Sherman - need more, only 14 possesion!
Poor 1st quarter, standing still not going in hard. Thankfully improved...but in the end too many rainmakers! Cats more polished in the end and showed how its done.

jeemak
26-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Bankers:

Minson - Solid effort by big Willbur. Only criticism is he doesn't assert himself in marking contests enough, though his support around the contest is excellent.

Wallis - Battled very hard all day, and is a great user of his hands in close. He is becoming a very consistent midfielder in only his second year and I couldn't be happier with his progress.

Liberatore - See above.

Anchors:

Jones - Goal kicking (though he showed some very good signs from an aerial point of view, and I was pleased with him in that regard)

Roughead - Goal kicking

Six Day Break ex-Darwin - Geelong were handed a bit of an advantage this week, and I was talking to friends saying it was either going to be a sluggish start or a fade out at the finish. Luckily Geelong didn't smash us early on, as we could have been five or six down at quarter time.

Bulldogs Supporters - We all have players we don't like, and they do things that annoy us. What really pisses me off is when supporters are so biased towards certain players and liberal with their abuse towards them, that it blinds them of the things these players do well throughout the game. If you're going to have a crack at a player when you don't think they've acted as they should, at least acknowledge and applaud their good effort and results. Bulldogs supporters were turning on other Bulldogs supporters tonight over this issue, it was really disappointing.

comrade
26-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Bankers

Libba, Wallis and Dahlhaus are a great foundation to build a midfield on. They all love to crack in and are intelligent footballers. It's refreshing.

Austin made Pods his bitch tonight. It's a shame he was allowed to crab forward and get on the end of an easy goal.

Picko deserves kudos for his job on Selwood. He was pretty much nullified, only having 22 touches (down from 36 week prior). The egg under his eye is a cracker, too.

Anchors

Sherman gave us nothing and needs to work harder. We really need him to drive us forward and take the game on but he's just not doing it. Maybe a spell will give him a kick?

Easy misses from Roughy and Jones. They let their teammates down by missing from 20m out.

Zone / corridor defense. Non existing for most of the night and we were crucified. If we'd forced Geelong wider, we would have won.

westbulldog
26-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Bankers
Will Minson - another strong 4 quarter game.
Mark Austin - Podsiadly kicked one SOFT goal.
Mitch Wallis - becoming very good.

Anchors
Daniel Pearce - first game so excusable
Pat Vespremi - goal to Chapman, goal to Hawkins then subbed.
Whoever the supposed goalkicking coach is - this game should have been won !

EasternWest
26-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Anchors

Bulldogs Supporters - We all have players we don't like, and they do things that annoy us. What really pisses me off is when supporters are so biased towards certain players and liberal with their abuse towards them, that it blinds them of the things these players do well throughout the game. If you're going to have a crack at a player when you don't think they've acted as they should, at least acknowledge and applaud their good effort and results. Bulldogs supporters were turning on other Bulldogs supporters tonight over this issue, it was really disappointing.

Damn right jeemak. Not to put too fine a point on it but supporters like that can piss off back to Richmond.

On another note, I've enjoyed reading your posts of late. Keep up the good work.

Bankers

Pearce - nice little run down the wing and delivery to Dickson. Looked pretty cool and calm doing it.

Liberatore set shot - controlled, no fuss run up. Was never going to miss.

Jones shoulder ride - 28,500 odd members took that ride. Please become a gun, please become a gun.

Anchors

Goal kicking from the big guys - enough said.

Zeph drops a pudding - as someone stated it would be tough to come in cold at that stage in a high pressure game, but that's a gimme.

Grant not playing - if he was rested/injured then I take it back, but he shouldn't have been dropped on form.

Remi Moses
26-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Bankers - thought Matty Boyd was excellent
Minson - very pleased to be proven wrong, Will's been super this season.
Notice he gives less over aggressive dumb free kicks away, playing confidently.
Wallis- just going to be a very good player
Austin - Another surprise packet, been very very solid.
How he couldn't get a gig at Carlton ahead of Bower types is staggering.

Anchors- Sherman - He's a front runner of the highest order.
Veszpremi- To fumbley for mine under pressure.
Jones- thought his aerial work was outstanding, just hate how he leans back when he kicks.
Roughy- had a good game but both lads blotted their copybook with easy misses.:(

always right
26-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Bankers

Anchors

Not Patty's best game but a bit rough isolating those two incidents. The kick to Chapman was perfect and he was inlucky to be opposed to Hawkins when Lake was delayed getting onto the ground.

Bankers:
Wallis
Minson
Austin

Anchors:
Sherman...refused to pick up loose players
Coaches.....gave Johnston far too much freedom in the middle. He was the difference between the two sides
Missed shots on goal

G-Mo77
26-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Anchors

I wouldn't usually want to give the anchor to a first gamer but do agree. Hopefully he'll learn from what he did wrong in that last quarter. Overall though had a pretty good debut.

Eastdog
26-05-2012, 01:24 AM
Banker or Anchor - Where would Tory Dickson be more toward.

Remi Moses
26-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Bankers

Anchors

True, but they missed ones early. Thought we were lucky to be only 20odd pts down at quarter time.

always right
26-05-2012, 01:29 AM

That's easy......banker.

Did a fine defensive job on Scarlett and looked genuinely dangerous when one out against his opponent.

EasternWest
26-05-2012, 01:29 AM

Banker for sure. Tory was good tonight.

comrade
26-05-2012, 01:31 AM

Banker.

He kept Scarlett honest for most of the night and almost snagged two goals through some strong marking. He's an intelligent player, the more smarts we have in that team the better.

I reckon he has a real future but probably needs to add the ability to have a run through the midfield.

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Banker.

He kept Scarlett honest for most of the night and almost snagged two goals through some strong marking. He's an intelligent player, the more smarts we have in that team the better.

I reckon he has a real future but probably needs to add the ability to have a run through the midfield.

You think he needs to add the midfield bow? I feel like we have plenty of midfield runners and would prefer if he focuses on becoming a goalkicking machine with strong defensive efforts.

comrade
26-05-2012, 01:39 AM
You think he needs to add the midfield bow? I feel like we have plenty of midfield runners and would prefer if he focuses on becoming a goalkicking machine with strong defensive efforts.

Becoming a consistent, defensive minded goal kicker is obviously the priority and where he'll add the most value but we lack good, intelligent ball users in our midfield. His smarts would be a welcome addition.

westbulldog
26-05-2012, 01:42 AM
True, but they missed ones early. Thought we were lucky to be only 20odd pts down at quarter time.

yep true, but we missed them at critical times.

westbulldog
26-05-2012, 01:45 AM
[QUOTE=always right;271408]Not Patty's best game but a bit rough isolating those two incidents. The kick to Chapman was perfect and he was inlucky to be opposed to Hawkins when Lake was delayed getting onto the ground.

Vespremi has shown some good form lately but tonight was ineffectual imo and was subbed.

jeemak
26-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Becoming a consistent, defensive minded goal kicker is obviously the priority and where he'll add the most value but we lack good, intelligent ball users in our midfield. His smarts would be a welcome addition.

I tend to agree. We need him to turn in to a player similar to Chapman (though from where he's starting from, if he becomes three quarters of the player then I'll be happy), and to do this he must have a big preseason and stay injury free.

There are going to be days when our midfield mix isn't balanced or competitve and we'll need to mix things up a touch to change the course of a game.

Dickson's required to add value to the forward line and develop his game this year, and next year and the year after he's going to need to be versatile enough to fulfill the requirements of the team.

jeemak
26-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Damn right jeemak. Not to put too fine a point on it but supporters like that can piss off back to Richmond.

On another note, I've enjoyed reading your posts of late. Keep up the good work.

Appreciate that, thanks.

G-Mo77
26-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Vespremi has shown some good form lately but tonight was ineffectual imo and was subbed with a hamstring injury.

Edited.

Not disagreeing with you but he was subbed due to injury.

bornadog
26-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Bankers

*Wallis and Libba - a bunch of 19 year olds showing Geelong how to win the ball

*Roughead - Great last quarter, too bad he missed three gettable goals.

*Jones- I thought he started to get some of his confidence back with his marking. Maybe being dropped and having a reprieve is the kick in the backside he needed. Must learn to kick the ball.

Anchors

I will pick some bad plays here.

*Roughead - After Murphy ran 10o metres bouncing handballing and creating play, Roughead handballs into straight back to Geelong who take the ball all the way back to where Murph ran.

* Cross -Austin has the ball in the third quarter on the wing, looks up and nowhere to kick, so turns around and handballs to Cross. Cross looks up and nowhere to kick, again looking towards our goal, so what does he do, he kicks it anyway. Straight to Geelong,k bang turnover and they take it down into their forward line.

* Hitting the post from 30/40 metres out - you know who you are.

jeemak
26-05-2012, 02:23 AM
*Roughead - After Murphy ran 10o metres bouncing handballing and creating play, Roughead handballs into straight back to Geelong who take the ball all the way back to where Murph ran.

* Cross -Austin has the ball in the third quarter on the wing, looks up and nowhere to kick, so turns around and handballs to Cross. Cross looks up and nowhere to kick, again looking towards our goal, so what does he do, he kicks it anyway. Straight to Geelong,k bang turnover and they take it down into their forward line.

The above annoyed me a bit as well, though I was bitterly disappointed with Cross's non-shot on goal in the first quarter, moreso. Most midfielders in the AFL would have relished the chance to kick a goal in that situation, and nothing frustrates me more about him than his unwillingness to take responsibility for kicking goals when clear opportunities present themselves to do so. To avoid kicking the goal, he actually attempted to execute a much tougher skill. Anyway, his overall performance wasn't too bad.

The Roughead handball was a shocker wasn't it, I can't wait for him to iron these aspects out of his game as he becomes experienced.

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Bankers

Will Minson: Solid as anything, put in a very honest and tough performance tonight. Did the simple things very well and intelligently.

Mitch Wallis: Becoming very consistent and has improved his kicking incredibly from last year in terms of penetration and accuracy.

Mark Austin: Couldn't have asked for a better performance from a rookie in the absence of 3 first-choice key backs. Probably ahead of Tom Williams already.

Anchors

Justin Sherman: Needed a bit more from the Shermanator tonight. So few touches AND tackles doesn't cut it for a mid-forward.

Liam Jones: Presented very well and clunked some decent marks but needs to improve his kicking. Feels like harsh criticism because he's still such a young key forward, but misses like the one in the 3rd quarter kill you in the end.

Jordan Roughead: See above.

SlimPickens
26-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Bankers-

Mitch/Libba- The future is bright.

Jones- good game by the kid, his marking was exceptional. Let's not forget he was playing on Harry Taylor.

Minson- another vey good performance by big Will. Still would like some impact from him up forward but his first ruck duties have been excellent.

Gia- had a crack about his lethargy in the first half last night. But really lifted in the second, leads very smartly and really helped the young blokes.

Anchor
Murphy- I feel like a broken record but his foot skill for the last 3 weeks have been terrible.

Roughy/Jones- need to convert.

Sherman- looks tired, needs a spell.

Whoever was playing on Johnson- given way too much time to use the ball. We needed to shut him down and didn't.

bornadog
26-05-2012, 12:11 PM
The above annoyed me a bit as well, though I was bitterly disappointed with Cross's non-shot on goal in the first quarter, moreso.

Forgot about that in the first, yes that was worse than the anchor I mentioned. How can he not have a shot from less than 40 metres out.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2012, 12:13 PM
BANKERS:

Minson- We are now seeing the best of big Will. Consistent every week, looks after our small guys and getting touches around the ground. Let's hope we re-sign him.

Wallis- Has come on in leaps and bounds. Kicking has improved and his decision making.

Libba- Getting better all the time. Along with Wally will be the cornerstone of our midfield engine room for many years.

Anchors:

The easy misses for goal. This aspect of our game must become a priority at training. It kills you. History has shown us that players can improve this aspect of their game but time must be put into it.

No other anchors. The team busted their gut and only class and better kicking for goal cost us the game. Every player on the field tried their guts out and that part I was happy with. Certainly a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.

bornadog
26-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Murphy- I feel like a broken record but his foot skill for the last 3 weeks have been terrible.

What is going on with Murphy's kicking. Since that shocking pass against Collingwood, he has been a shocker.

azabob
26-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Forgot about that in the first, yes that was worse than the anchor I mentioned. How can he not have a shot from less than 40 metres out.

Griffen also missed a gettable goal from his set shot, Griffen didn't even make the distance.

bornadog
26-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Griffen also missed a gettable goal from his set shot, Griffen didn't even make the distance.

Some of the kicking was pretty bad last night. Dickson who is a thumping kick didn't make the distance with one of his shots from inside 50. Yet Geelong were pinging them from outside 50.

SlimPickens
26-05-2012, 12:25 PM
What is going on with Murphy's kicking. Since that shocking pass against Collingwood, he has been a shocker.

Absolutely he lamented about it that week with his article in The Age and pretty much has been a shadow of his assured self by foot since.

Bulldog Joe
26-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Some of the kicking was pretty bad last night. Dickson who is a thumping kick didn't make the distance with one of his shots from inside 50. Yet Geelong were pinging them from outside 50.

I think this is one of the issues that the double 6 day turnaround with Darwin thrown in causes.

Players just have tired legs and these skills are so much more difficult.

Sedat
26-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Bankers - The next generation midfleid. Libba, Wallis and Dahlhaus might only be 2nd year players but they are already significantly impacting the midfleid stoppage and clearance battle most weeks. How difficult will they be to beat after a couple more pre-seasons? All 3 are also excellent decision-makers.

Bankers - Austin terrific shut down job on Pods, ditto Crossy on Bartel

Anchors - Shane McInernay. You couldn't help yourself and get in the limelight with that stupid HTB free against Griff in the last qtr. Was a ball up 10 seconds prior but you had to get your name up in lights

Anchors - Sherman. He's not a kid but still continues to make elementary errors with his decision-making. Also our goal-kicking in the 2nd half was terriblly costly. Rough and Jones attacked the contest with great purpose but that is only half the job.

always right
26-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Bankers

*Wallis and Libba - a bunch of 19 year olds showing Geelong how to win the ball

*Roughead - Great last quarter, too bad he missed three gettable goals.

*Jones- I thought he started to get some of his confidence back with his marking. Maybe being dropped and having a reprieve is the kick in the backside he needed. Must learn to kick the ball.

Anchors

I will pick some bad plays here.

* Hitting the post from 30/40 metres out - you know who you are.

The Roughhead one was a bit unfortunate. Roughy was looking for Murohy to keep coming but basically Murph had nothing left in the tank. Really Murphy should have kicked the ball instead of hand balling to Roughy.

OLD SCRAGGer
26-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Bankers:

Minson - Solid effort by big Willbur. Only criticism is he doesn't assert himself in marking contests enough, though his support around the contest is excellent.

Wallis - Battled very hard all day, and is a great user of his hands in close. He is becoming a very consistent midfielder in only his second year and I couldn't be happier with his progress.

Liberatore - See above.

Anchors:

Jones - Goal kicking (though he showed some very good signs from an aerial point of view, and I was pleased with him in that regard)

Roughead - Goal kicking

Six Day Break ex-Darwin - Geelong were handed a bit of an advantage this week, and I was talking to friends saying it was either going to be a sluggish start or a fade out at the finish. Luckily Geelong didn't smash us early on, as we could have been five or six down at quarter time.

Totally agree, makes me so darn angry:mad:

Rocco Jones
26-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Mark Austin: Couldn't have asked for a better performance from a rookie in the absence of 3 first-choice key backs. Probably ahead of Tom Williams already.

Seems to be really growing with the added confidence that comes with the momentum of playing a few games in a row. He has a quality that a lot of 'serviceable' tall defenders have, versatility. He must be a lock to be upgraded at year's end...

Hotdog60
26-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Seems to be really growing with the added confidence that comes with the momentum of playing a few games in a row. He has a quality that a lot of 'serviceable' tall defenders have, versatility. He must be a lock to be upgraded at year's end...

We can swap him for Mulligan (meaning he's place on the list)

chef
26-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Bankers - The next generation midfleid. Libba, Wallis and Dahlhaus might only be 2nd year players but they are already significantly impacting the midfleid stoppage and clearance battle most weeks. How difficult will they be to beat after a couple more pre-seasons? All 3 are also excellent decision-makers.

Bankers - Austin terrific shut down job on Pods, ditto Crossy on Bartel

Anchors - Shane McInernay. You couldn't help yourself and get in the limelight with that stupid HTB free against Griff in the last qtr. Was a ball up 10 seconds prior but you had to get your name up in lights

Anchors - Sherman. He's not a kid but still continues to make elementary errors with his decision-making. Also our goal-kicking in the 2nd half was terriblly costly. Rough and Jones attacked the contest with great purpose but that is only half the job.

But you still have to make an effort(even pretend), Griffen just lay there holding the ball not even trying to get it out and it was the right decision IMO.

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Anchor- the cheersquad. Adding the sign 'Brendan McCarthy "Macca" our taskmaster'
Haven't they learnt?
Who barracks for the coach anyway?
What position is taskmaster?

AndrewP6
26-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Anchor- the cheersquad. Adding the sign 'Brendan McCarthy "Macca" our taskmaster'
Haven't they learnt?
Who barracks for the coach anyway?
What position is taskmaster?

Which word was the error?

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Which word was the error?

No error except my iPhone auto-correction just a terrible embarrassing sign in the tradition of Peter Rhode our mastermind.

AndrewP6
26-05-2012, 10:01 PM
No error except my iPhone auto-correction just a terrible embarrassing sign.

Fair enough.

Sedat
27-05-2012, 02:34 AM
But you still have to make an effort(even pretend), Griffen just lay there holding the ball not even trying to get it out and it was the right decision IMO.Sorry Chef, will have to respectfully agree to disagree. Memo to umpires, stoppages are OK. Stalemates sometimes happen, especially when you have 2 manic groups of midfielders fighting for their lives to try and win the ball. I know most umpires get aroused by the thought of elaborately calling HTB as opposed to the mundanity of calling a ball up when 20 players are stacked on top of the ball. Some of them no doubt love the idea of getting involved in the action instead of silently and efficiently controlling the game. Not blowing the whistle when there is a clear stalemate only succeeds in turning the game of footy into something far more resembling rugby. Adrian Anderson might then have enough statistical evidence to show the footy world there are 'less stoppages in the modern game', but of course we all know this is a crock of excrement.

AndrewP6
27-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Sorry Chef, will have to respectfully agree to disagree. Memo to umpires, stoppages are OK. Stalemates sometimes happen, especially when you have 2 manic groups of midfielders fighting for their lives to try and win the ball. I know most umpires get aroused by the thought of elaborately calling HTB as opposed to the mundanity of calling a ball up when 20 players are stacked on top of the ball. Some of them no doubt love the idea of getting involved in the action instead of silently and efficiently controlling the game. Not blowing the whistle in such instances only succeeds in turning the game of footy into something far more resembling rugby. Adrian Anderson might then have enough statistical evidence to show the footy world there are 'less stoppages in the modern game', but of course we all know this is a crock of excrement.

Good post. I hate, hate, hate the overly theatrical way they call HTB, with the pause before the oh-so-dramatic flourish on the signal for it. Other calls, you get a whistle, quick gesture and indication of who the kick's going to. Just get on with it umps!

I found this book on Umpiring with the very catchy wording "Go, Show and Go!". I think many umpires have missed this section.

http://mm.afl.com.au/afl_archive/cp2/c2/webi/article/149743cn.pdf

Greystache
27-05-2012, 02:52 AM
Good post. I hate, hate, hate the overly theatrical way they call HTB, with the pause before the oh-so-dramatic flourish on the signal for it. Other calls, you get a whistle, quick gesture and indication of who the kick's going to. Just get on with it umps!

The AFL's book on Umpiring has the very catchy wording "Go, Show and Go!". I think many umpires have missed this section.

http://mm.afl.com.au/afl_archive/cp2/c2/webi/article/149743cn.pdf

Did you or anyone else notice a situation in the 2nd quarter when Selwood was pinned in the centre holding the ball? The umpire blew his whistle and was about to launch into his theatrical HTB flourish, only for Selwood to bob his head up at the last second, the umpire clearly hesitated when he saw who it was, then in mid decision called for a ball up. It was one of the most blatant examples of different rules for different players ever caught on film.

AndrewP6
27-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Did you or anyone else notice a situation in the 2nd quarter when Selwood was pinned in the centre holding the ball? The umpire blew his whistle and was about to launch into his theatrical HTB flourish, only for Selwood to bob his head up at the last second, the umpire clearly hesitated when he saw who it was, then in mid decision called for a ball up. It was one of the most blatant examples of different rules for dissent players ever caught on film.

Yes I remember it. I nearly caused some property damage at Etihad Stadium, if it wasn't for the security guard standing nearby!

jeemak
27-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Sorry Chef, will have to respectfully agree to disagree. Memo to umpires, stoppages are OK. Stalemates sometimes happen, especially when you have 2 manic groups of midfielders fighting for their lives to try and win the ball. I know most umpires get aroused by the thought of elaborately calling HTB as opposed to the mundanity of calling a ball up when 20 players are stacked on top of the ball. Some of them no doubt love the idea of getting involved in the action instead of silently and efficiently controlling the game. Not blowing the whistle when there is a clear stalemate only succeeds in turning the game of footy into something far more resembling rugby. Adrian Anderson might then have enough statistical evidence to show the footy world there are 'less stoppages in the modern game', but of course we all know this is a crock of excrement.

It seems they're basing their decisions on who can pretend to get rid of the ball the best, these days. They'd be so much better off realising it's not getting out, calling a ball up, and throwing it up irrespective of who might or might be ready to take the tap, or contest the ball. It would eliminate the inconsistency in decision making, and the game would move a lot quicker.

I despise the theatrical nature of holding the ball decisions. It's the one decision where umpire gratification really is influenced by the crowd. If the crowd is loud enough, prior opportunity is pretty much out the door, and players are being encouraged not to attack the football because they're going to get pinged.

LostDoggy
27-05-2012, 09:45 AM
players are being encouraged not to attack the football because they're going to get pinged.

It's already happening. I saw at least four or five sequences of play on the weekend where a guy gets his hands on the ball, then when he feels the pressure of a player on his back, DOESN'T pick the ball up but kind of shields it with his body by falling on it but turns sideways so that the ump can't say he 'dived on it', grabs and holds the OPPOSITION player to his body and then holds his hands out to make sure the ump can't call holding the ball (since he's not, you know, holding the ball).

A couple of other times, guys get pinged when they don't even have the ball. I saw a sequence of play yesterday where an ump calls holding the ball and the ball was coming out between the guy's legs (like he hatched it) and the guy clearly had no idea where the ball was.

It's just become too much of a guessing game, and players are starting to make a million adjustments to overcome loopholes in the laws of the game rather than just playing. I mean, what kind of stupid game asks players to 'pretend' to do stuff and then pings them if they don't? What is this, drama class?

Don't even get me started on the complete inconsistency with high tackles.

Maddog37
27-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Did you or anyone else notice a situation in the 2nd quarter when Selwood was pinned in the centre holding the ball? The umpire blew his whistle and was about to launch into his theatrical HTB flourish, only for Selwood to bob his head up at the last second, the umpire clearly hesitated when he saw who it was, then in mid decision called for a ball up. It was one of the most blatant examples of different rules for different players ever caught on film.

Saw that one too. Inconsistent is worse than anything else when it comes to umpiring.

always right
27-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Conspiracy theories abound.

Look...if umpire abuse was an Olympic event I'd be a shoe-in for the gold medal, but in this case it was a different umpire to the one that pinged Griff and now you're also claiming to be able to read the umpires mind.

What we do agree on is the fact Selwood should have also been pinged and the umpire made an error.

1eyedog
27-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Bankers:

Pretty much everyone

Anchors:

When is this club going to learn to win important matches? I'm sick of being competitive.

Greystache
27-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Conspiracy theories abound.

Look...if umpire abuse was an Olympic event I'd be a shoe-in for the gold medal, but in this case it was a different umpire to the one that pinged Griff and now you're also claiming to be able to read the umpires mind.

What we do agree on is the fact Selwood should have also been pinged and the umpire made an error.

Thanks for correcting me on that, I'm so much the wiser now :rolleyes:

Try watching the replay, it was clear as day. A non-Bulldog supporting mate brought it to my attention and I agree with him.

SonofScray
27-05-2012, 02:16 PM

Try watching the replay, it was clear as day. A non-Bulldog supporting mate brought it to my attention and I agree with him.

I agree, the umpire was going topaz a free kick. He had wound up for the dramatic call and when it was clear Selwood had the ball changed his mind. It happens, players with a profile get more time, more favourable treatment. In Selwood's case he gets even more favourable treatment because he cheats and makes a mockery of the current interpretations.

F'scary
27-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Bankers:

Pretty much everyone

Anchors:

When is this club going to learn to win important matches? I'm sick of being competitive.

I agree with your B&A. On the Anchors, I think "Chops" started an argument here after the Collingwood game with a crack about how supporters being satisfied with honourable losses make him sick. At that time, I thought he was a bit mean. Afterall, a lot of people had been tipping the 'pies to poleaxe us. But now after the Geelong game, I'm jumping on the bandwagon. There's three games lost we should have won so far this year. Stuff being "competitive", stuff the honourable loss, we need to get our act together and win these. We ARE good enough!:mad:

F'scary
27-05-2012, 02:49 PM

YEAH!!! Right on! It's true. You are correct. It does happen!

Corroborating evidence: if you can be bothered googling around, you can find a recent study of extra time at Manchester United's home games compared with the average for the whole EPL. The results: If Man U was ahead, extra time was less than the average length. If they were behind, the extra time was considerably longer than the EPL average.

Lesson: don't even bother trying to tackle the Selwads and Arseletts of this game.:mad:

always right
27-05-2012, 03:40 PM

I'm not disagreeing that the umpire changed his mind. I just don't agree that you can categorically say that it was due to him seeing who the player was.

bornadog
27-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm not disagreeing that the umpire changed his mind. I just don't agree that you can categorically say that it was due to him seeing who the player was.

Its been happening for years. Have a look at Judd getting away with things, even when he is reported he gets off.

AndrewP6
27-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I agree with your B&A. On the Anchors, I think "Chops" started an argument here after the Collingwood game with a crack about how supporters being satisfied with honourable losses make him sick. At that time, I thought he was a bit mean. Afterall, a lot of people had been tipping the 'pies to poleaxe us. But now after the Geelong game, I'm jumping on the bandwagon. There's three games lost we should have won so far this year. Stuff being "competitive", stuff the honourable loss, we need to get our act together and win these. We ARE good enough!:mad:

If we were good enough, we'd win them.

FrediKanoute
27-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Bankers:

Wallis - has really stepped up this year and is starting to belong. If he keeps going in 12 months he will be unstoppable;

Cross - thought at the start of 2012 he would find himself in the reserves, but honestly its the litle things he does that are so important, the spoils, the intercepts, the added pressure and link up play.....was really important today.

Roughhead/Jones - stood up today and presented targets, teasing us with what may eventually be.

Anchors:

Easy Misses - not just Roughhead and Jones, but other guys as well. Easy misses cost games and it cost us on Friday - we will improve.

Easy Goals - Geelong were able to create too many easy goals on Friday - whether it was quick ball movement, or more often guys running to the right space, we just weren't smart enough to shut it down......

Ghost Dog
27-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Bankers:

Pretty much everyone

Anchors:

The North game wasn't an important match? One could also tire of overly negative supporters. Clearly more going right than wrong at our club. Only two tipsters out of about 40 so called experts picked us for that one.

GVGjr
27-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Anchors:

We need a win much like Richmond produced yesterday. A couple of weeks back there were a few here taking delight at Richmonds honorable losses but yesterdays result puts that back into perspective.
A win up in Sydney might be a big turning point in the season ahead for us but right at this moment I'm not sick of competitive performances given the state of our list.

Mofra
27-05-2012, 07:52 PM
We need a win much like Richmond produced yesterday. A couple of weeks back there were a few here taking delight at Richmonds honorable losses but yesterdays result puts that back into perspective.
Confidence within the group for this week must be high - Sydney are a contested ball side which is one of our keys and we have a 9 day break to prepare.
Maybe optimistic, but I think we'll sneak this one if not just get very close.

1eyedog
27-05-2012, 08:18 PM
The North game wasn't an important match? One could also tire of overly negative supporters. Clearly more going right than wrong at our club. By the way, did you pick us to beat North?

The North game put us in a position for the Geelong match to be important. Do you think I'm overly negative, have a look at my Bankers or do you only focus on what you want to from each post? It appears so. I'm voicing a frustration pent up over three preliminary finals loses.

I pick us almost every week, 99% of the time.

Eastdog
27-05-2012, 08:25 PM
The North game put us in a position for the Geelong match to be important. Do you think I'm overly negative, have a look at my Bankers or do you only focus on what you want to from each post? It appears so. I'm voicing a frustration pent up over three preliminary finals loses.

I definitely see what your saying 1eyedog and share that frustration and yes I don't believe in honorable losses. You can be as competitive as you like but if you don't get it on the scoreboard it's worth nothing. Hopefully we can come out again and give the Swans a shake. As GVG said I think with the list we have we are going alright.

1eyedog
27-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I definitely see what your saying 1eyedog and share that frustration and yes I don't believe in honorable losses. You can be as competitive as you like but if you don't get it on the scoreboard it's worth nothing. Hopefully we can come out again and give the Swans a shake. As GVG said I think with the list we have we are going alright.

I absolutely agree, I was thinking aloud, that's all and wanted to Bank the whole team for their effort on Friday night. I was very proud.

Eastdog
27-05-2012, 08:30 PM
I absolutely agree, I was thinking aloud, that's all and wanted to Bank the whole team for their effort on Friday night. I was very proud.

The effort was there from us on Friday night even though we lost and that's what you want from our team unlike a few other teams lately.

Maddog37
27-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I tend to be overly optimistic, but I can't help but feel that at some stage soon, all of our ducks will line up and we will really put a decent team to the sword.

Ghost Dog
27-05-2012, 08:37 PM

You made the comment that you are sick of the effort by the team. ( sick of just being ' competitive ' ) I'm not sure what you expected against a quality outfit like Geelong. As the coach pointed out, our forward line has 50 games of experience between them. It wasn't a drubbing. 3 goals. Not sure what you expect, and grossly unfair to hang prelim finals frustrations from years gone by around the necks of our new young players. What can they do about the past? Nothing!

Maddog37
27-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I thought he was just expressing his emotions at losing. Surely not a sin?

Eastdog
27-05-2012, 08:40 PM
That's another thing - the opposition Geelong Friday night is still a quality side and got the job done against us. They are the reigning premiers after all and have been one of the best teams in the last 5-6 years.

1eyedog
27-05-2012, 09:06 PM
You made the comment that you are sick of the effort by the team. ( sick of just being ' competitive ' ) I'm not sure what you expected against a quality outfit like Geelong. As the coach pointed out, our forward line has 50 games of experience between them. It wasn't a drubbing. 3 goals. Not sure what you expect, and grossly unfair to hang prelim finals frustrations from years gone by around the necks of our new young players. What can they do about the past? Nothing!

A win, because I think positively, sometimes at the expense of irrationality. I didn't throw any dirt at the club or its players:confused: and I'm certainly not hanging our younger players for the past prelim losses, none of them played in them. Your posts are reading like a witch hunt.

I praised the whole team on their effort, I am still frustrated at the loss and thought it was an important match that we lost, which opened the wounds of the the 08 Prelim against Geelong, a game we should have won except for errant kicking for goal. I concede our position now is much different, I feel old and wish just for once it was our turn.

I promise to never, ever, ever voice my frustrations on this forum again GD, just in case I offend you.

Eastdog
27-05-2012, 09:10 PM
A win, because I think positively, sometimes at the expense of irrationality. I didn't throw any dirt at the club or its players:confused: and I'm certainly not hanging our younger players for the past prelim losses, none of them played in them. Your posts are reading like a witch hunt.

I praised the whole team on their effort, I am still frustrated at the loss and thought it was an important match that we lost, which opened the wounds of the the 08 Prelim against Geelong, a game we should have won except for errant kicking for goal. I concede our position now is much different.

I promise to never, ever, ever voice my frustrations on this forum again GD, just in case I offend you.

Good post 1eyedog that's what WOOF is all about freedom to express where our club is at whether its positive or negative.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-05-2012, 09:10 PM
A win up in Sydney might be a big turning point in the season ahead for us but right at this moment I'm not sick of competitive performances given the state of our list.

The difference being that Richmond has a quality forward in Riewolt who can kick straight and we do not have an equivalent at the moment. Within a 30 metro from goal we managed just 2.4 to the Cats 6.1. Too much is left to Dalhaus who battles his guts out each week up forward. That aside the competitive effort this year has been terrific with players like Lake and Minson showing a new lease of life. With the loss of Williams and Markovic, Austin has stepped up to be a good inclusion. Very special also has been the rapid improvement in young guns Liberatore and Wallis.

Ozza
28-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Bankers:

- Libba & Wal.
- Minson
- Austin

Anchors:

- Roughy and Jones for their kicking at goal - although Jones' attack on the footy all night was tremendous.
- Veszpremi - didn't have his best night.
- Cross - for the two opportunities he should have had inside 50 - one he went for a dinky kick over the top which was intercepted. The other chance he had in the last quarter he went to ground rather than keeping his feet and giving himself a chance to kick a goal.

Ghost Dog
28-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Anchors:

When is this club going to learn to win important matches? I'm sick of being competitive..

"When is this club going to learn to win important matches" - Having been to the North game and seen the joy of the supporters, I just felt this was quite an negative take on our season so far.
I'm not offended, and the North Game is a case in point, winning a very important match. We'll start jagging more of these wins soon enough. One has to be realistic about where we are at.

F'scary
28-05-2012, 09:45 PM
If we were good enough, we'd win them.

There's a bit of semantics here. Yeah, on the one hand, we didn't win so we weren't good enough. BUT we were in winning positions in the last quarter in three lost games this year. On the basis of this, I'm getting off forgiving close losses on the basis that we are a rebuilding side whom no-one expects to win these games and taking the attitude that we dropped 4 points that should have been ours. I'm not for a second questioning your level of support, don't get me wrong on that. I just reckon we're much closer to being back where we were a couple of years ago than we realise. Things like form and the relative ranking of sides change quickly in footy and I reckon we're way ahead of where most thought we'd be right now. So I'm modifying my opinion of our relative standing, I think we are similar to the other sides who are generally held to be chasing a finals spot and therefore getting dark on these sorts of losses.:cool:

Mantis
29-05-2012, 09:04 AM
"When is this club going to learn to win important matches" - Having been to the North game and seen the joy of the supporters, I just felt this was quite an negative take on our season so far.
I'm not offended, and the North Game is a case in point, winning a very important match. We'll start jagging more of these wins soon enough. One has to be realistic about where we are at.

I think he meant when will we start beating good teams, or at least ones which are perceived that way.

It was frustrating that we folded when within striking distance, like we have many times before.

westdog54
29-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I think he meant when will we start beating good teams, or at least ones which are perceived that way.

It was frustrating that we folded when within striking distance, like we have many times before.

If anything it was more dissapointing than the Collingwood game, given how capable the team has shown themselves to be over the last month or so. The last goal probably was more an indication of how many we'd thrown forward, with Geelong catching us on the counter, but the reality is we could have, and realistically should have, finished the game stronger than we did.

Having said that, I'm reviewing my previous thoughts as to whether we will make finals in the next couple of years, I had us in the bottom half for at least the next 2 to 3 years.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2012, 05:00 PM

Point taken. I wonder if there is a mental equivalent of kicking beyond the goal. My Dad used to teach me, when kicking for goal, always try to pretend you're hitting a target in the stands. Maybe we have to play from the start as though we are 2 goals behind!

Nobody I knew thought we would beat North and after they beat Geelong, many perceived them as being a good team. I still think they are, but maybe they got a bit complacent.

Having said that, I'm reviewing my previous thoughts as to whether we will make finals in the next couple of years, I had us in the bottom half for at least the next 2 to 3 years.

Good to read this. Critical for us that we do not bottom out. We can't afford it, from a membership point of view.

comrade
29-05-2012, 05:46 PM

We're still very reliant on Lake, Boyd, Cross and Murphy (and Gia to a lesser extent). Too reliant for my liking.

It's going to take some very good drafting and development over the next 3 years to ensure we can climb up the ladder when those players retire. I know the same thing was said when Grant, West, Darcy, Smith etc left us, but I'm not sure the next group runs as deep this time around.

Looking at it positively, we do have the basis for a tough, classy midfield which is a good foundation for success.

bornadog
29-05-2012, 06:48 PM
We're still very reliant on Lake, Boyd, Cross and Murphy (and Gia to a lesser extent). Too reliant for my liking..

These guys are 10 years older than Libba, Wallis, Dahl, Smith, and 7 years older than Higgins. No wonder we are still relying on them.

Mantis
29-05-2012, 07:06 PM
We're still very reliant on Lake, Boyd, Cross and Murphy (and Gia to a lesser extent). Too reliant for my liking.

It's going to take some very good drafting and development over the next 3 years to ensure we can climb up the ladder when those players retire. I know the same thing was said when Grant, West, Darcy, Smith etc left us, but I'm not sure the next group runs as deep this time around.

Looking at it positively, we do have the basis for a tough, classy midfield which is a good foundation for success.

One would think that we will remain in a similar spot on the ladder as we are now over the next 2 or 3 years. As the likes of Jones, Wallis, Libba, Dahlhaus improve we will see the 'older' guys drop off.

As suggested when we add new players to the younger guys already there we should start to see the type of improvement that will hopefully lead us back up the ladder.

comrade
29-05-2012, 07:08 PM
These guys are 10 years older than Libba, Wallis, Dahl, Smith, and 7 years older than Higgins. No wonder we are still relying on them.

Exactly but can we really expect 21 and 22 year olds to pick up the slack and push us up the ladder? The lack of depth in the next age bracket could really set us back. We didn't have that problem when Grant, Darcy, Smith and West retired because we had Boyd, Lake, Murphy, Cross, Hargrave, Morris etc etc to fill the void.

We really need the likes of Higgins, Williams, Markovic, DJ, Sherman and Dickson to hold the fort while our young guns develop.

And we need to draft very well.

LongWait
29-05-2012, 07:10 PM
One would think that we will remain in a similar spot on the ladder as we are now over the next 2 or 3 years.

This, to me, is failure and way too pessimistic. I'm very happy with the quite dramatic change we've witnessed in our game style in just 9 games and think that another 12 months will see us frightening the beejeezus out of everyone. We'll play finals next year and challenge for top four in the 2014 or 2015 or both in my view.

bornadog
29-05-2012, 11:47 PM
This, to me, is failure and way too pessimistic. I'm very happy with the quite dramatic change we've witnessed in our game style in just 9 games and think that another 12 months will see us frightening the beejeezus out of everyone. We'll play finals next year and challenge for top four in the 2014 or 2015 or both in my view.

I don't think its pessimistic, I think its realistic, as Comrade points out we don't have that middle tier of players currently to support the Libbas, Wallis' etc. In 2014, we are going to be left with a young team full of 22 year olds supported by Minson, Higgins, Sherman and Dickson.

Our biggest issue this year is the gap. If you look at the make up of the team each week we are playing as follows:

0 - 50 games = 10
51 to 99 = 2
100 to 149 = 3
150 plus = 7

Its going to take years to balance this out.

Geelong is in a worse situation than us, with the last bracket hitting 8 players.

Collingwood has one of the best balanced teams 9,5,4,4.

LostDoggy
30-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Great discussion.

It is also why I think we should trade heavily the next couple of years and really go hard at some top-shelf talent in the middle age bracket. We should have more than enough in the kitty anyway with so many vets and kids.

It's basically what we would have been paying the Wards, Hills, Skippers, Rays and Stacks of this world if they actually stayed or turned out to be any good.

Get Boak AND Cloke, I say.

1eyedog
30-05-2012, 09:06 AM
If we paid out on Boak I hope we would get some return. For Port's highest paid player he has been pretty ordinary this season. A lack of support and class around him doesn't help. Geelong and Essendon love him, but is this a product of his Falcon's background.

Is he really that good because I have seen a lot of inconsistency. He's 24 with 100 games under his belt and barely saw it in their comeback win against North two weeks ago. Had his best game for the club against minnows GC last week. Would we be paying overs to get/retain him?