PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 10 vs Sydney

Greystache
25-05-2012, 04:14 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for Sunday's match against Sydney at the SCG?

As always. as brief explanation for your changes would be good.

GVGjr
26-05-2012, 12:12 AM
How many changes do you think we need to make?

comrade
26-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Skinner isn't quite there but coming on cold when the heat is on can't be easy. I think Grant offers us more.

Is Vez injured? If so, Addison should come back in. (He'll come back anyway).

Pearce was OK and might benefit from 1 more game before going back down. I'd like to see Howard in the team ASAP.

Rance Fan
26-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Sherman two poor games in a row.
In
Cordy, Addison

Out
Sherman, Pearce (was ok) or Vez

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Skinner must make way for grant. Leaping from 7 deep everytime may look good but it doesn't benefit the team at all. Especially when he doesn't have a single second effort in him.

Would like to see Addison straight back in. Ves should play if not injured so maybe Pearce is the unlucky one.

always right
26-05-2012, 01:35 AM
In: Cordy, Addison, Grant
Out: Skinner, Pearce, Sherman

Mantis
26-05-2012, 01:47 AM
In: Cordy, Addison, Grant
Out: Skinner, Pearce, Sherman

Ok, Sheman was poor tonight, but across the season he has to stay in, doesn't he?

bornadog
26-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Heard Wood being interviewed and he said he thought he could have played tonight. Do we leave him out till after the bye?

G-Mo77
26-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Heard Wood being interviewed and he said he thought he could have played tonight. Do we leave him out till after the bye?

Personally I would.

Out: Skinner, Vez, Rotated Player
In: Grant, Addison, Rotated Player

That's the best I can do with Macca's rotations. :)

bornadog
26-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Personally I would.

Out: Skinner, Vez, Rotated Player
In: Grant, Addison, Rotated Player

That's the best I can do with Macca's rotations. :)

Agree with changes, unless we are thinking about Cordy coming back in?

G-Mo77
26-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Agree with changes, unless we are thinking about Cordy coming back in?

As I said I've given up guessing on what Macca will do. I would think that Cordy will come back in but I haven't seen Sydney enough to know what matchups we'd have forward and back.

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Ok, Sheman was poor tonight, but across the season he has to stay in, doesn't he?

Form aside, he is of the type we are lacking. Goal sense and pace.

Pickenitup
26-05-2012, 07:33 AM
In Wood Addison Grant
Out Skinner Pearce Vez
Dont Think we can play Cordy and have 3 Ruckman playing on such a small ground.

GVGjr
26-05-2012, 08:57 AM
I think it should be Addison and Grant back in and Pearce and Skinner out.

Grant is still a better bet up forward than Skinner and the form of Addison before his suspension is what we will need against the Swans.
Normally I'd like to see younger players be given more than one game in the seniors but Pearce will be better for the run and dropping him back won't hurt him.
Skinner does some exciting things but I don't think he is ready yet.

I can't find room for Cordy and despite the poor kicking form of Roughead last night I still believe that the Minson and Roughead combination is the better fix for us at the moment.

Desipura
26-05-2012, 11:33 AM
In: Addison (his toughness will be very much required against the Swans)
Out: Vespa (did you see how hard he was blowing on the bench at the 17 minute mark of the 2nd qtr?)
I think he is too loose to be a backman, he's only hope is as a forward IMHO.

stefoid
26-05-2012, 12:37 PM
This year is about learning to get better, so maybe Sherman stays in unless he is consistently not following orders.

I say maybe - depends if there is anyone playing well enough to step up in his place? Panos I guess.

Rocco Jones
26-05-2012, 12:41 PM
We seemed like we were down a small defender last night, not much we could do considering our forced outs and the depth of their small forwards.

Annoying for Howie that Willy have a bye this week. I liked his first game back for Willy last week.

A few have Roughy as an out and I was very frustrated by his kicking for goal but we must remember he showed some promising signs. IMO he was reading the flight of the ball really well and got in good position. At B-Mac said on 360, Ayce, Roughy and Jones will be nudging just in front/behind eachother. Good for development/motivaion, Ayce just out next week.

Not nice dropping a guy after just one game but if anyone can sell it as a positive learning experience, it's the bloke we have in charge.

OUT: Skinner, Pearce, Vez
IN: Grant, Addison, Howard/Wood

Bulldog Joe
26-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Ins for me are Addison, Grant and Cordy
Outs Skinner, Pearce (both had a taste and just need to work on their game) Vesz (just prefer the hardness of Dylan)

I think the small ground actually helps play the big guys.

With Roughy, Jones and Cordy all starting to take contested marks we can be dangerous and start to stretch defences, but also makes the work of our smalls in Dickson, Gia, Higgins, Dahl and Sherman important.

If Wood is right to go he would certainly be under consideration, but maybe a run at Willi and have him ready after the bye.

Sedat
26-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Ok, Sheman was poor tonight, but across the season he has to stay in, doesn't he?Was just as poor last week, but simply because we have no other line-breakers available for selection he stays in. And I will be amazed if he has any impact whatsoever on the tight confines of the SCG next week. He must be thanking his lucky stars that Cooney can't break the lines like he used to and Tutt can't get on the park.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Ins for me are Addison, Grant and Cordy
Outs Skinner, Pearce (both had a taste and just need to work on their game) Vesz (just prefer the hardness of Dylan)

I think the small ground actually helps play the big guys.

With Roughy, Jones and Cordy all starting to take contested marks we can be dangerous and start to stretch defences, but also makes the work of our smalls in Dickson, Gia, Higgins, Dahl and Sherman important.

If Wood is right to go he would certainly be under consideration, but maybe a run at Willi and have him ready after the bye.

Agree with your ins and outs BJ and your reasoning too. We have won games with all 4 ....Jones, Minson, Cordy & Roughy in our team .....and there will be games we lose no doubt with them as well. As time goes on and those players improve we hopefully can make this combination one of our strengths to be feared by other teams.

always right
26-05-2012, 12:52 PM

You're probably right but he was very disappointing last night. We do need his pace though. At one stage last night a Geelong player was charging towards goal and the three blokes chasing him were Libba, Gia and Will. My heart sank.

Rather than dropping Sherman, perhaps Vez would be preferred. Have liked his improvement his year but his opponent generally manages to get separation a little too easily due to his lack of pace.

LostDoggy
26-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I prefer Vez to Addison. Addison might be harder but Vez makes better decisions and has better disposal.
I suppose it depends on the match ups.
Our backline isn't really the problem as well.

LongWait
26-05-2012, 01:39 PM
I prefer Vez to Addison. Addison might be harder but Vez makes better decisions and has better disposal.

The backline's performance has been under-rated. They've done a magnificent job considering the number of injuries they've had to cover for.

Vez has a slight hamstring strain it seems - so probably won't get up for next week anyway and with the bye coming up it might be a good time to give him a rest.

Desipura
26-05-2012, 04:28 PM
On ability I would have Vez over Addison, on recent form, I would have Addison in the side way ahead of Vez.
If Vez does not build his tank, he will have a very short career.
I think whilst our backline have done a good job given the number of injuries we have had, we were in need of a small backman hence why Motlop snagged 3.

Happy Days
26-05-2012, 05:40 PM
On ability I would have Vez over Addison, on recent form, I would have Addison in the side way ahead of Vez.
If Vez does not build his tank, he will have a very short career.
I think whilst our backline have done a good job given the number of injuries we have had, we were in need of a small backman hence why Motlop snagged 3.

Motlop's goals came from his superior reading of the play and having a significant speed advantage over his opponent (Pearce/Vez). Do you think Addison could have done anything to stop that?

jeemak
26-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Motlop's goals came from his superior reading of the play and having a significant speed advantage over his opponent (Pearce/Vez). Do you think Addison could have done anything to stop that?

Interesting listening to ABC post match, Harry Taylor was asked about our one on one plan throughout different stages of the game, and he said that as soon as we did that they knew if able to get the ball on the break and through the corridore Motlop would free up and score.

He also said he wasn't surprised we're learning to contest on a one on one basis to start off with, due to McCartney's philosophy on contested ball.

Ins - Cordy, Grant and Addison
Outs - Veszpremi, Skinner, Pearce

Going tall up forward this week could be a good move, on the smaller ground.

Pearce has had a taste, and hopefully has some hunger to return.

With respect to Wood and Howard, I'd let them come back against Port in round 12.

azabob
26-05-2012, 06:10 PM
He also said he wasn't surprised we're learning to contest on a one on one basis to start off with, due to McCartney's philosophy on contested ball.

With respect to Wood and Howard, I'd let them come back against Port in round 12.

It has been no secret that is what McCartney is working on.

With Wood I think he needs to come back through the VFL. He isn't a natural football, I think he will be very rusty upon his return and the VFL is the best place for that.

Greystache
26-05-2012, 06:30 PM

His goals came because he was able to get goal side of his opponent, get the ball over the back, and then use his pace to kick goals. He should never have been allowed the space so many times, relying on your pace to catch a player with nothing between him and the goal line would be a bad tactic even for Usain Bolt.

I don't want to pot a first gamer but Pearce looked like he'd never played a single game of football in defence, he positioning in comparison to his opponent was beyond poor.

Greystache
26-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Out- Vezspremi, Pearce, Skinner
In- Addison, Grant, DJ

I would drop Vez if if he's not injured, his kicking skills are a bonus but he can't defend, he just has no idea how to use his body. He's got to be a forward with occasional runs through the middle, which might be hard with Gia and Higgins in front of him.

Pearce looked a fair way off it for now.

Skinner showed a bit and has an ability to do something we struggle with, kick goals, but we're a first quarter hamstring away from being exposed as a sub.

Happy Days
26-05-2012, 06:56 PM
His goals came because he was able to get goal side of his opponent, get the ball over the back, and then use his pace to kick goals. He should never have been allowed the space so many times, relying on your pace to catch a player with nothing between him and the goal line would be a bad tactic even for Usain Bolt.

I don't want to pot a first gamer but Pearce looked like he'd never played a single game of football in defence, he positioning in comparison to his opponent was beyond poor.

Yeah fair point, Pearce was exposed for pace but really allowed himself to be with the latitude he was giving and ballwatching at contests; still rate Motlop though, he looked dangerous any time he got near it.

Greystache
26-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah fair point, Pearce was exposed for pace but really allowed himself to be with the latitude he was giving and ballwatching at contests; still rate Motlop though, he looked dangerous any time he got near it.

I think Pearce is actually pretty quick, but Motlop is electric.

Sockeye Salmon
26-05-2012, 07:52 PM

I thought Pearce looked worryingly slow

jeemak
27-05-2012, 08:15 AM

Motlop is pretty quick, isn't he. I think he's going to be an excellent player.

Pearce was screwed irrespective of which side he played on Motlop. McCartney played a one on one style, and all it would take was for Geelong to get the ball in the corridore and the rest took care of itself.

Pearce letting Motlop goal side was probably the worse of two evils, but he was going to get burned either way. In that situation he needed to be smarter and mitigate the risk of a goal potentially being scored by staying behind.

stefoid
27-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Interesting listening to ABC post match, Harry Taylor was asked about our one on one plan throughout different stages of the game, and he said that as soon as we did that they knew if able to get the ball on the break and through the corridore Motlop would free up and score.

Ins - Cordy, Grant and Addison
Outs - Veszpremi, Skinner, Pearce

Going tall up forward this week could be a good move, on the smaller ground.

Pearce has had a taste, and hopefully has some hunger to return.

Theoretically, there is no reason why Grant and Sherman cant do the same. I just cant understand why those guys dont score more fast break goals, they are super quick and Grant in particular has no problems scooping up the ball or snapping.

OLD SCRAGGer
27-05-2012, 05:09 PM
OUT; VEZ ( If injured) Skinner

IN: Wood ( Said he would be good to go next week) Grant

GVGjr
27-05-2012, 05:12 PM
With Wood and Howard close to making a return to the seniors after injuries and Addison from suspension we might have some trouble squeezing everyone into the back line.

azabob
27-05-2012, 05:28 PM
With Wood and Howard close to making a return to the seniors after injuries and Addison from suspension we might have some trouble squeezing everyone into the back line.

Gilbee is also the forgotten man, one would assume he'd struggle to get back.

Great position to be in.

Will be in the same position with the talls when they are all ready to go, Lake, Morris, Markovic, Williams and now Austin.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-05-2012, 09:30 PM

Sherman deserves to go with two shockers in a row. Our forward line is a big problem due to the inconsistent performances of Grant, Sherman, Djeerkura and Higgins. Dickson has stepped up and looks a better option now than the above mentioned. Roughead suffers from not spending enough time in the ruck due to the heavy preference for Minson, who has been good. Roughead appeals more as a ruckman than up forward. Jones becomes a constant problem because of his poor kicking technique.
You would also be tempted to rush back Wood this week because of his dash out of defence.

azabob
27-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Sherman deserves to go with two shockers in a row. Our forward line is a big problem due to the inconsistent performances of Grant, Sherman, Djeerkura and Higgins. Dickson has stepped up and looks a better option now than the above mentioned. Roughead suffers from not spending enough time in the ruck due to the heavy preference for Minson, who has been good. Roughead appeals more as a ruckman than up forward. Jones becomes a constant problem because of his poor kicking technique.
You would also be tempted to rush back Wood this week because of his dash out of defence.

I think Higgins has played his role the last few weeks and chipped in with his couple of goals. Roughead's forward work on Friday night was very good, he is learning where to plonk his body and he seems to get front position more than not, hopefully he can work on his kicking.

I agree we need to get Wood as soon as possible, but he will be rusty after his lay off and I think he should come back through the VFL so he can regain his touch.

Interestingly you are question the value of Roughead and Jones with their disposal yet you are willing to rush Wood back in even though his skills can also be below par.

Before I Die
27-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Last week McCartney said that the outs were due to suspension, form and one player being unavailable. Not sure precisely what this means, but given that Grant's form was better than Smith's, it is reasonable to assume that if Grant is now available, he will come straight back in. Addison is most likely an automatic in. Jones' better showing may mean that Cordy is given more time to make sure he is 100%. Likely outs would be Skinner and Pearce/Vesz depending on Vesz's fitness. I don't think any of the players returning from extended injuries will get a run in the seniors until after the mid-season break.

In: Grant, Addison

Out: Skinner, Pearce/Vesz

westbulldog
27-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Outs - Veszpremi, Sherman, Skinner, Pearce
in - Addison, Grant, Cordy, Jong

bornadog
27-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Outs - Veszpremi, Sherman, Skinner, Pearce
in - Addison, Grant, Cordy, Jong

Jong is a Rookie, so we need to have some on the LTIL.

LostDoggy
27-05-2012, 11:55 PM
We are seriously lacking a player who can kick with pinpoint accuracy over 50 metres, and who comes off half back and through the centre . Good clubs have them such as Hawthorn's Suckling. At Sydney, you almost don't need a CHF, well not the conventional one, anyway. And if we can't enter the forward line with any sophistication we might be tied up in crowded scrums all day. We need to be able to kick goals from well outside 50 as well....like West does for Geelong.

I would keep Skinner as the sub, knowing that the tight confines of the SCG might not suit him. Pearce I would drop....he seemed to do a lot of following. Sherman kept for his pace. Bringing in Addison might make us slower.

Out Vez, Pearce
In Wood, DJ

Cordy?

westbulldog
28-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Jong is a Rookie, so we need to have some on the LTIL.

thanks for the info, do morris or williams come into that category ?

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-05-2012, 12:36 AM
I think Higgins has played his role the last few weeks and chipped in with his couple of goals. Roughead's forward work on Friday night was very good, he is learning where to plonk his body and he seems to get front position more than not, hopefully he can work on his kicking.

I agree we need to get Wood as soon as possible, but he will be rusty after his lay off and I think he should come back through the VFL so he can regain his touch.

Interestingly you are question the value of Roughead and Jones with their disposal yet you are willing to rush Wood back in even though his skills can also be below par.

Correction. I didn't question Roughead's disposal but certainly did with Jones, whose average of one goal a match isn't good enough for a key forward. I thought Easton Wood might have turned the corner in his best game for the Club until injured against Collingwood.

Greystache
28-05-2012, 12:37 AM
thanks for the info, do morris or williams come into that category ?

Wiliams in on the LTI at the moment and Austin has been elevated in his place. Morris isn't on the LTI and if he is added it means he can't play at any level for the next 8 weeks minimum.

We can promote a rookie after round 11 without need for a player to be injured.

Eastdog
28-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Wiliams in on the LTI at the moment and Austin has been elevated in his place. Morris isn't on the LTI and if he is added it means he can't play at any level for the next 8 weeks minimum.

Who do you think we might promote next?

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-05-2012, 12:40 AM

Look for Campbell to be elevated from the rookie list after Round 11.

Greystache
28-05-2012, 12:41 AM

That's my expectation too.

Before I Die
28-05-2012, 01:09 AM

His form at VFL level is good, but is he ahead of Minson, Roughead and Cordy? There is no point in promoting a player unless the expectation is that they are good enough to demand a regular game at AFL level or they are filling a medium to long term injury need.

McCartney seems happy with the progress of the above mentioned three so I can't see him effectively demoting one of them to Willy to give Campbell a try. Remember that both Street and Skipper had better form at Willy than Campbell is presently showing, not that I am saying he will not be a better player than those two.

If Jong can maintain his run of form, or Johannison comes back strongly from injury, they might be better chances, or it may simply be a case of steady as she goes with the current list.

DragzLS1
28-05-2012, 01:35 AM

Doubt that we have 3 guys fighting for a spot in the ruck / forward department so I doubt we will throw another tall ruck if we don't need to. Especially after seeing how good Minson is actually doing (does not get enough appreciation imo)

Johanison would be likely if he didn't injure himself was putting a few steady performances together and that kid has some pace ;)

Will be interesting to see which way they go regardless

Dry Rot
28-05-2012, 02:47 AM
As for our opponents, looks like no Goodes and uncertain about Mumford from an injury report a week old

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/injury%20list/tabid/11505/default.aspx

When did we last play them without Goodes? IIRC he always plays well against us

IMO we're in with a real chance the way they have been playing.

Eastdog
28-05-2012, 03:07 AM
As for our opponents, looks like no Goodes and uncertain about Mumford from an injury report a week old

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/injury%20list/tabid/11505/default.aspx

They haven't been in the best form of late and with Goodes and Mumford out who are important players for them it gives us every chance. Do you think the home advantage to the Swans will play in their favour though?

Hotdog60
28-05-2012, 06:30 AM
They haven't been in the best form of late and with Goodes and Mumford out who are important players for them it gives us every chance. Do you think the home advantage to the Swans will play in their favour though?

I think the ground will suit our contested possession type footy. If we do bomb it long it will be in that dangerous spot out from goal and all we will need to do is mark it or bring it to ground. It could be a game suited for Sherman if he plays.

Ghost Dog
28-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Key Matchup - Vezpremi on Everitt!:D Battle of the form battlers.

Bulldog Revolution
28-05-2012, 10:04 AM

Goodes does play well against us, but then we've just seen two who have done it more than most in Champman, and S.Johnson

Its an important game

I'm afraid we will drop our intensity and you would expect the Swans to be primed after their disappointing fall away after beating the Hawks

bulldogsman
28-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Who do you think we might promote next?

Jong has been in pretty good form.

If we don't have another long term injury, it will have to be Austin again though. Williams is only 4-5 weeks away from playing.

LostDoggy
28-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Doubt that we have 3 guys fighting for a spot in the ruck / forward department so I doubt we will throw another tall ruck if we don't need to. Especially after seeing how good Minson is actually doing (does not get enough appreciation imo)

Johanison would be likely if he didn't injure himself was putting a few steady performances together and that kid has some pace ;)

Will be interesting to see which way they go regardless

There's also Tom Hill who is a ruck / forward that is playing well at Williamstown.
You could argue that Campbell is ahead of Hill but Hill is on the main list and just as deserving of a shot so should get first dibs if an opportunity arises.

DragzLS1
28-05-2012, 01:52 PM
We have a 9 day break and Syd have 8 days.. think its going to be a close game but we are in with a real chance seeing their no1 ruck and no1 1 player are both down.

choconmientay
28-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Key Matchup - Vezpremi on Everitt!:D Battle of the form battlers.

Hehehe, surely a key match-up.... if Vezpremi not getting dropped and Everitt is getting picked for this game ;)

Ghost Dog
28-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Jong has been in pretty good form.

If we don't have another long term injury, it will have to be Austin again though. Williams is only 4-5 weeks away from playing.

I'm a massive fan of Jongs, just his athleticism that will be very hard to match when he gets a bit better; but I have watched him a few times at Willy. His kicking was clanger-fest on those particular days.

LostDoggy
28-05-2012, 07:03 PM
That's my expectation too.

Does that mean if we elevate Campbell that Austin cannot play when Williams returns? I would favour waiting a while until Campbell knocks the door down and displaces both Cordy and Roughead as no.2 fwd / rucks.

LostDoggy
28-05-2012, 07:31 PM
His form at VFL level is good, but is he ahead of Minson, Roughead and Cordy?

I'm disputing the fact that his form is that good.
Certainly not in the best in the last 2 Williamstown game. In the bests in some others but no BOGs.
I've never seen someone get so much mileage from 1 practice match.

GVGjr
28-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Certainly not in the best in the last 2 Williamstown game. In the bests in some others but no BOGs.

I don't think it's totally based in one practice game but hes put together some good games. I wonder if he has the mobility to switch between ruck and forward roles in the AFL but it's still early days for him.

Desipura
28-05-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't think it's totally based in one practice game but hes put together some good games. I wonder if he has the mobility to switch between ruck and forward roles in the AFL but it's still early days for him.
Campbell was awarded with 44 hitouts a few weeks ago so I think his form is a bit better than 1 praccy game as you say.
Minson gave him huge wraps pre season and was sure he would play senior footy. If you can recall Minson was saying how he was kicking goals from 50 metres off one step in match simulation.
I found this interesting as he plays the same position as Will.

GVGjr
28-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Campbell was awarded with 44 hitouts a few weeks ago so I think his form is a bit better than 1 praccy game as you say.
Minson gave him huge wraps pre season and was sure he would play senior footy. If you can recall Minson was saying how he was kicking goals from 50 metres off one step in match simulation.
I found this interesting as he plays the same position as Will.

I have seen Campbell a number of times this year and while he has racked up some impressive numbers of hit outs he isn't giving his midfield a lot of good taps.
He still has a lot of work to do.

Eastdog
28-05-2012, 09:54 PM
I have seen Campbell a number of times this year and while he has racked up some impressive numbers of hit outs he isn't giving his midfield a lot of good taps.
He still has a lot of work to do.

When do you think Panos will get a game in the senior side. How do you think his season for Williamstown has gone so far.

Rocco Jones
28-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of Campbell but Chops, he doesn't have to be the messiah to warrant a spot on a senior list. There are 40 available, Mulligan even has one!

I agree with GVG's call that he wastes a lot of his hitouts but when you are getting that many, you are at the very least neutralising your opponent.

I think he is dangerous up forward in a contested/clunking mark kind of a way but unless he can improve his motor he won't be more than a pinch hitter there as he can be easily exploited. Still can definitely take his turn up forward just probably won't suit partnering Will.

LostDoggy
28-05-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of Campbell but Chops, he doesn't have to be the messiah to warrant a spot on a senior list. There are 40 available, Mulligan even has one!

I agree with GVG's call that he wastes a lot of his hitouts but when you are getting that many, you are at the very least neutralising your opponent.

I think he is dangerous up forward in a contested/clunking mark kind of a way but unless he can improve his motor he won't be more than a pinch hitter there as he can be easily exploited. Still can definitely take his turn up forward just probably won't suit partnering Will.

I hope he makes it but pre season he was the messiah.

Rocco Jones
28-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I hope he makes it but pre season he was the messiah.

Yeah but that's how your average punter thinks. Big guy takes a few grabs and kicks a couple of goals= messiah. I don't think those dellusions should be held against Campbell.

I'm really glad we have him on our rookie list and I believe if we don't elevate him, someone will take him.

bornadog
28-05-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm really glad we have him on our rookie list and I believe if we don't elevate him, someone will take him.

We can always rookie him again. Do we really need another developing tall?

Before I Die
28-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Yeah but that's how your average punter thinks. Big guy takes a few grabs and kicks a couple of goals= messiah. I don't think those dellusions should be held against Campbell.

Rocco, I think the humility chip has come loose in its socket again. :D

Rocco Jones
29-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Rocco, I think the humility chip has come loose in its socket again. :D

Haha but I don't mean it in a deriding way and I don't mean it in an average WOOF poster way. Most of here put too much time in analysing footy. Most fans don't put that time in and when an eye catching performance comes along it holds more comparative weight.

Sockeye Salmon
29-05-2012, 12:13 AM
A few are wanting him in as a forward. He has the grand total of 3 goals to his name this year.

I'd certainly elevate him but his senior prospects might not be too good. If I was him I'd be asking my manager to see if anyone else was interested where I might get a senior go.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2012, 02:28 AM
I'd bring Howard back in. Use him as the sub if need be.

Pearce and Skinner to make way. I suspect Addison will return.

Vesz might be in some trouble -- his fitness (or lack of) is really noticeable.

Other than that, not sure what else we'll do. Cordy stiff to miss.

IN: Addison, Howard, Grant
OUT: Pearce, Skinner, Veszpremi

bulldogsman
29-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm a massive fan of Jongs, just his athleticism that will be very hard to match when he gets a bit better; but I have watched him a few times at Willy. His kicking was clanger-fest on those particular days.

So not much different to Smith? Or worse?

bornadog
29-05-2012, 10:23 AM
So not much different to Smith? Or worse?

I think his kicking is fine. I have seen his action shooting for goal and technique wise looked ok.

Maddog37
29-05-2012, 10:54 AM
The major issue I noticed with Jong was he did not get far enough back from the man on the mark and in general simply rushed his kicks.

Axe Man
29-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Although it's still a while off, the forecast is for rain in Sydney on Sunday. You would think that adding Cordy to Roughead and Jones would be one too many talls, so I would leave Cordy out this week. On the other hand the expected conditions should suit Addison perfectly.

Ozza
30-05-2012, 02:41 PM

I didn't see that praccy - so had a look at him in the Willy games that were on tv.
Looked miles off to me - but I don't see as much of him as the regular Willy watchers.

ledge
30-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Skinner must make way for grant. Leaping from 7 deep everytime may look good but it doesn't benefit the team at all. Especially when he doesn't have a single second effort in him.
Would like to see Addison straight back in. Ves should play if not injured so maybe Pearce is the unlucky one.

Your kidding arent you?
The biggest reason he is in the side is because of his second, third and fourth efforts.
Macca loves his continuous going at it and thinks he is one of our best for keeping the ball in.
Have you actually watched him?
Even the commentators go on about his repeated efforts, look at the goals he has kicked all from repeated efforts.

LostDoggy
30-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Your kidding arent you?
The biggest reason he is in the side is because of his second, third and fourth efforts.
Macca loves his continuous going at it and thinks he is one of our best for keeping the ball in.
Have you actually watched him?
Even the commentators go on about his repeated efforts, look at the goals he has kicked all from repeated efforts.

You must watch a different game.
His 2 goals have been 2 of flukiest goals ever.
He is a liability on the ground at the moment. 3 times the sub in 3 games cos he can't run out the game.
He is getting repeat efforts because he hasn't nailed the first one yet on the dozen or so occasions the ball has gone to him.
His only value ATM is the excitement factor, maybe the opposition with think he is our Saviour, that will wear out quick.

ledge
30-05-2012, 07:00 PM
You must watch a different game.
His 2 goals have been 2 of flukiest goals ever.
He is a liability on the ground at the moment. 3 times the sub in 3 games cos he can't run out the game.
He is getting repeat efforts because he hasn't nailed the first one yet on the dozen or so occasions the ball has gone to him.
His only value ATM is the excitement factor, maybe the opposition with think he is our Saviour, that will wear out quick.

His post was he had no repeat efforts you have even mentioned he has, the fact he might have fumbled is irrelevant, you obviously havent watched him repeat tackle either.

My opinion is he has a burst of 3 or 4 repeats then his tank is done for a couple of minutes, Griffen was known for this for about 4 years.

But my opinion is the post was wrong in him not having any repeat efforts!

stefoid
30-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I like the romance of the freakishly skilled forward player, but I dont think Skinner does the basics well enough to justify being on the list come the end of the year.

LostDoggy
30-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I like the romance of the freakishly skilled forward player, but I dont think Skinner does the basics well enough to justify being on the list come the end of the year.

What he said

LostDoggy
30-05-2012, 09:10 PM
His post was he had no repeat efforts you have even mentioned he has, the fact he might have fumbled is irrelevant, you obviously havent watched him repeat tackle either.

I saw 1 tackle where he let the ball go out, he was appealing for a free but the ball was 50m away. They got a goal out of it. Is that a repeated effort?

My opinion is he has a burst of 3 or 4 repeats then his tank is done for a couple of minutes, Griffen was known for this for about 4 years.

Chalk and cheese. 1 has class.

1eyedog
30-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Absolutely. He's been okay through the early rounds.

LostDoggy
30-05-2012, 10:27 PM
The Howitzer and Wood will come up for consideration but I think they both need to play for Willi , Howard is only just back from injury and has had a rest after the game on the 20th but another game with Willi would do him good before pushing for selection against Port , Wood also needs a game at Willi and again push for selection against Port , as much as I,d like to see them play against the Swans the smaller ground in wet conditions wouldn,t suit them for a first game back

Sockeye Salmon
31-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Skinner is all sizzle and no sausage

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 01:08 AM

If he builds a tank I think you might eat these words. Looked excellent pre-season against Geelong (only played 1/2 game) and I'm seeing flashes of real potential. He needs another development year but I say good chance we'll get value from draft pick 88!

Happy Days
31-05-2012, 01:42 AM

^there it is.

Seriously, he's had two pre-seasons to improve his tank and he hasn't. He's the fumbliest player I've ever seen, he looks totally out of his depth, but he can jump really high so that makes him worthwhile.

Happy to be proven wrong, but no way I will be.

bornadog
31-05-2012, 07:33 PM
B: Dylan Addison, Brian Lake, Ryan Hargrave
HB: Robert Murphy, Mark Austin, Patrick Veszpremi
C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Easton Wood
HF: Mitchell Wallis, Jordan Roughead, Adam Cooney
F: Daniel Giansiracusa, Ayce Cordy, Luke Dahlhaus
Foll: William Minson, Ryan Griffen, Thomas Liberatore
I/C: Shaun Higgins, Liam Jones, Liam Picken, Zephaniah Skinner, Clay Smith, Daniel Pearce, Tory Dickson

In: Dylan Addison, Easton Wood, Ayce Cordy, Clay Smith
Out: Justin Sherman

Milestones: Ryan Hargrave - 200 games

G-Mo77
31-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Surprised to see Sherman out. I am no big fan of his but he's been pretty good since coming back. I guess you're only as good as your last game.

bulldogsman
31-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Wood out for Sherman makes some sort of sense.
Not sure Wood deserves to come straight back in, but it looks like he will be.

My guess at the I/C Higgins, Jones, Picken, Sub Dickson

EDIT: Well done to Hargrave on 200 games too, wasn't aware of that.

Remi Moses
31-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Wood out for Sherman makes some sort of sense.
Not sure Wood deserves to come straight back in, but it looks like he will be.

My guess at the I/C Higgins, Jones, Picken, Sub Dickson

EDIT: Well done to Hargrave on 200 games too, wasn't aware of that.

Didn't see Wood's last game? Well done Ryan Hargrave 200 underrated games.

bulldogsman
31-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Didn't see Wood's last game? Well done Ryan Hargrave 200 underrated games.

Yes, he was great.

Didn't see Wood's games before that game?

The Bulldogs Bite
31-05-2012, 08:04 PM
There's no way that Jones plays in this game.

For mine:
Higgins, Picken, Dickson
Sub: Smith

Might be tempting to give Pearce another go at it though.

azabob
31-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Didn't see Wood's games before that game?

Exactly, Wood is a player who needs game time to get his touch.

azabob
31-05-2012, 08:06 PM
There's no way that Jones plays in this game.

For mine:
Higgins, Picken, Dickson
Sub: Smith

Might be tempting to give Pearce another go at it though.

How come? I tend to agree with you, but it doesn't make sense considering his form on Friday night.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-05-2012, 08:11 PM
How come? I tend to agree with you, but it doesn't make sense considering his form on Friday night.

Cordy named straight back into the side pretty much says that he's ahead of Jones at the moment. Jones certainly isn't going to dislodge Minson or Roughead, and considering we are playing at the SCG, there is absolutely no need for a CHF.

It's really only a 'long kick' to the FF type of ground, and when Cordy's played, we've done this regularly anyway. He's been able to contest really well and bring it ground. Roughead has had success in this role too.

We would get much more value from another mid on this ground (Smith, or even Pearce) than Jones. The more I think about it, Smith has to be a monty to play, given how games at SCG are played.

JohnGentStand
31-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Higgins, Picken & Dickson should all be montys.......pull the sub out of a hat.

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Cordy named straight back into the side pretty much says that he's ahead of Jones at the moment. Jones certainly isn't going to dislodge Minson or Roughead, and considering we are playing at the SCG, there is absolutely no need for a CHF.

I don't understand how Cordy can be ahead of Jones. Atm Jones is better on the lead, contested, more mobile, probably has a bigger tank, more experienced and less susceptible to injury. His kicking for goal is no worse than Cordy.

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 09:57 PM
So Sherman gets a rest , fine with that as part of the rotation

Now if Jones was supposed to have a rest last week but played when Cordy dropped out I,m happy to put him as an Emergency to give him a rest , just go with the one tall in the forward line

The AFL Team listing is a bit upside down but the backline is locked in properly

The bench most likely will be Wallis Wood Higgins with Smith as the Sub

Dickson to start at HF , Picken of course will be whispering sweet nothings in Josh Kennedy's ear from the first bounce

That leaves Jones Skinner Pearce as the Emergencies

Remi Moses
31-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Thought Jones would be in the starting lineup .
Reckon a lead up forward is important in Sydney, ahead of Ayce who'd play either ruck or Stay at home forward 50.

Driver Leader
31-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Does anyone have information on why Grant was not named in Williamstown's side? Surely we'll play both Cordy and Jones as we seemed to break down last week when we played only one tall forward

Maddog37
31-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Where is J Grant?

Before I Die
31-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Where is J Grant?

Not playing at Williamstown in either the ones or the twos.

Has he been out on the training track?

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Where is J Grant?

They are filming the new series of Merlin and have finally decided that Colin Morgan is actually rubbish and have brought in Jarrad as he is much better at pretending to do something magic

http://cdn.graphicsfactory.com/clip-art/image_files/image/2/573042-262.gif

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Where is J Grant?

Didn't Bmac mention in his letter last week (or maybe a press conference) something about players being unavailable for the Geelong game due to 'unavailability' which a few people on here mentioned was strange.

Maybe it's Grant? Personal issue?

Rocco Jones
31-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Didn't Bmac mention in his letter last week (or maybe a press conference) something about players being unavailable for the Geelong game due to 'unavailability' which a few people on here mentioned was strange.

Maybe it's Grant? Personal issue?

I'm thinking the same.

Rocco Jones
31-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I'd go with Jones along with Ayce, Roughy and Will. Normally I'd find it too top heavy but it's not like we have smalls knocking the door down. I think another tall forward will give us more value than another in and under type like Smith who is struggling to make an impact (just talking short term) or a small defender in Pearce who seems green.

The Pie Man
01-06-2012, 07:01 AM
From the bench named I'd play Higgins, Picken, Jones & Dickson - Wood coming back from injury is my sub.

Very surprised Cordy comes straight back in.

Mantis
01-06-2012, 09:57 AM

1/ Surely that isn't the case, Cordy is miles behind Jones.

2/ Jones doesn't play the role of the lead up CHF anyway, he tends to play 'deep'.

Mofra
01-06-2012, 10:58 AM
1/ Surely that isn't the case, Cordy is miles behind Jones.
The selection committee over the last two weeks seem to suggest otherwise - Jones was a late in when Cordy didn't pull up last week, and he's been named in the selected side ahead of Jones this week.
B-Mac thus far hasn't been one to play games with selection.

Mantis
01-06-2012, 11:20 AM
The selection committee over the last two weeks seem to suggest otherwise - Jones was a late in when Cordy didn't pull up last week, and he's been named in the selected side ahead of Jones this week.

I'm not sure what they are building their case on, while Ayce is improving he has yet to have any impact on a game thus far, Liam on the other hand was more than serviceable last week against very good opposition.

Extremely puzzled by this.

G-Mo77
01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
It'd be a real slap in the face for Jones if he missed this week. He would have easily had his best game post Barry Hall and he's struggling to hold his spot. Could we go with all of the bigs?

always right
01-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Right or wrong....could the intention be to try and stretch the Swans for height by playing both Cordy and Jones?. Wouldn't that be a first for our club?:D

I would think if there is one ground you might get away with this it's the SCG.

Bulldog Joe
01-06-2012, 12:01 PM
So Sherman gets a rest , fine with that as part of the rotation

Sherman had clearly been dropped. He is not resting but relegated to Williamstown.

Bulldog Joe
01-06-2012, 12:04 PM
I agree that Jones responded well and it would be a surprise to see him miss. Perhaps they are letting him now that he is certainly not an automatic selection.

It must be remembered that Cordy also played his best game at his last appearance.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure what they are building their case on, while Ayce is improving he has yet to have any impact on a game thus far, Liam on the other hand was more than serviceable last week against very good opposition.

Extremely puzzled by this.

Jones still remains a problem as a key forward because of his inept kicking where he struggles to average one goal a game. Cordy has improved on last year and BMcC may well be grooming both Jones and Cordy as the two key forwards leaving Minson and Roughead to share the rucking duties

1eyedog
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM

No he hasn't but rotations through the side have been very punctuated with some odd ins and outs (i.e. Grant (may be personal) and all of our big men.

Are we rotating our big men by neccessity or form or both? It's a raffle to me who will be in out of Jones, Cordy, Grant and Roughead on a week by week basis.

Mofra
01-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Geelong had a rotation policy too, perhaps B-Mac is mindful of the fact they're all youngsters and doesn't want to burn them out?

Will be interesting to see how he manages Libba/Wallis/Smith/Dahlhaus as the season progresses

always right
01-06-2012, 01:44 PM
No he hasn't but rotations through the side have been very punctuated with some odd ins and outs (i.e. Grant (may be personal) and all of our big men.

Are we rotating our big men by neccessity or form or both? It's a raffle to me who will be in out of Jones, Cordy, Grant and Roughead on a week by week basis.

Is that neccesarily a bad thing as long as the players concerned understand and accept the approach? Not having a shot....just asking the question.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Geelong had a rotation policy too, perhaps B-Mac is mindful of the fact they're all youngsters and doesn't want to burn them out?

Will be interesting to see how he manages Libba/Wallis/Smith/Dahlhaus as the season progresses

Also sussing out who takes their chance on the big stage. Already knows what he can get from Dahl, Clay. I like this approach.

Greystache
01-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Final team

B: Dylan Addison, Brian Lake, Ryan Hargrave
HB: Robert Murphy, Mark Austin, Patrick Veszpremi
C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Easton Wood
HF: Mitchell Wallis, Jordan Roughead, Adam Cooney
F: Daniel Giansiracusa, Ayce Cordy, Luke Dahlhaus
Foll: William Minson, Ryan Griffen, Thomas Liberatore

I/C: Shaun Higgins, Liam Picken, Zephaniah Skinner, Tory Dickson

Emergencies- Jones, Pearce, Smith

LostDoggy
01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Skinner again? Sub

LostDoggy
01-06-2012, 06:20 PM
What does Zephi offer, even as a sub that Sherman doesn't?

azabob
01-06-2012, 06:22 PM

Perhaps they want Sherman to work on aspects of his game in the VFL?

soupman
01-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Not sure Skinner deserves to stay in the side but often we see posters on here (myself included) criticise the selection committee for not giving young guys enough games in a row to adjust, so maybe thats the philosphy we are adopting.

Surely it's time to see how he goes right from the start though. If we are going to judge if he's good enough he has to be given more than just his 3rd quarter for the year (and 4th ever).

G-Mo77
01-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Skinner again? Sub

He'd have to be.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Not sure Skinner deserves to stay in the side but often we see posters on here (myself included) criticise the selection committee for not giving young guys enough games in a row to adjust, so maybe thats the philosphy we are adopting.

Surely it's time to see how he goes right from the start though. If we are going to judge if he's good enough he has to be given more than just his 3rd quarter for the year (and 4th ever).

I tend to agree.

I don't think he should be playing, but I can understand them trialing him at this level. However, to be fair, he really needs a proper game -- at least three quarters.

bornadog
01-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Final Teams:

In: Addison, Wood Cordy

Out: Jones, Pearce and Sherman

G-Mo77
01-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I tend to agree.

I don't think he should be playing, but I can understand them trialing him at this level. However, to be fair, he really needs a proper game -- at least three quarters.

Would like to see him get the start but it's really hard to see anyone else taking the green vest this week. Maybe Wood wears the green?

LongWait
01-06-2012, 07:28 PM
We have to find out if Skinner will make an AFL player or not. If he can make the grade we win in spades. If not, let's move on quickly. Don't think we'll get an answer either way if Skinner plays at Willi.

Play Skinner for as long each game as his body/fitness can endure so we can make the judgement we need to make. Places on the list are precious and we can't afford to have project players burning too many opportunities.

GVGjr
01-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Skinner again? Sub

Skinner over Jones defies logic to me.

Ozza
01-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Staggering selections....Jones out....don't we like contested marks? Skinner? Give me strength - is miles and miles off. I'd prefer sherman in also- but can understand if he's given a week off to work on some things.

LostDoggy
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Buggered if I know whats going on, I didn't understand Cordy over Jones.

SlimPickens
01-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Agree with above Liam's game last week was very good. Cannot understand this selection. Would the forecast of rain have anything to do with it?

Mantis
01-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Totally agree, Jones was much, much better last week, his reward is to get dropped... I don't understand that one.

F'scary
01-06-2012, 10:35 PM
We have to find out if Skinner will make an AFL player or not. If he can make the grade we win in spades. If not, let's move on quickly. Don't think we'll get an answer either way if Skinner plays at Willi.

Play Skinner for as long each game as his body/fitness can endure so we can make the judgement we need to make. Places on the list are precious and we can't afford to have project players burning too many opportunities.

Disagree. Skinner needs a lot of development in the VFL IMO. He's an interesting prospect but at the moment the pace of the AFL is way too fast for him. I reckon at the moment he's not worth a spot in the Seniors, he should spend the rest of the season in the VFL, have a good preseason and then look at him again. I'd be prepared to give him 2 seasons in the VFL, easy.

Remi Moses
01-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Totally agree, Jones was much, much better last week, his reward is to get dropped... I don't understand that one.

Agree, staggered by the non selection of Jones!
Agree with the thoughts on Zeph, we have to find out if he's going to make it.

GVGjr
01-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Buggered if I know whats going on, I didn't understand Cordy over Jones.

On a small ground having the 3rd ruckman just doesn't seem right to me. Cordy has been fine but as a forward Jones is ahead of him.

LostDoggy
01-06-2012, 11:32 PM

A second effort, defensive mindset when required, x factor and commitment to the contest. Despite shermans pace he was a mistake.

AndrewP6
01-06-2012, 11:43 PM
A second effort, defensive mindset when required, x factor and commitment to the contest. Despite shermans pace he was a mistake.

He's shown all of that in his opportunities this season.

1eyedog
02-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Is that neccesarily a bad thing as long as the players concerned understand and accept the approach? Not having a shot....just asking the question.

No I guess it isn't and it's not for me to understand.

I don't know why Skinner is playing ahead of Jones unless Jones is injured. I thought Jones got hold of a few last week. The MC may be predicting rain.

1eyedog
02-06-2012, 12:18 AM

Fair call, but if this is what we are doing rather than playing our best perceived team then it sort of indicates to me that the coaching staff really do think this is a rebuilding year with opportunities for experimentation and assessment rather than putting our best team on the park week in week out.

If we make finals all well and good but for mine Sherman and Jones are in our best team.

DragzLS1
02-06-2012, 02:04 AM
I give up this selection process is soo random :s either way hope everybody does well and we smash the swans! Cmon dogs!!

hujsh
02-06-2012, 04:59 AM
A second effort, defensive mindset when required, x factor and commitment to the contest.

Sounds more like Sherman than Skinner to me.

The Pie Man
02-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Like many here I'm very confused

Cordy over Jones after last Friday is close to staggering :confused:

LostDoggy
02-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Well , if Jones was supposed to be rested last week but played when Cordy dropped out and he,s being rested this week I suppose General Mac and the coaching staff are sticking to a program to rest players

The extreme theory would be that General Mac has destroyed the Periodic Table as he only needs the Element Surprise

bornadog
02-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Well , if Jones was supposed to be rested last week but played when Cordy dropped out and he,s being rested this week I suppose General Mac and the coaching staff are sticking to a program to rest players

The extreme theory would be that General Mac has destroyed the Periodic Table as he only needs the Element Surprise

They all get a rest next week.

Maddog37
02-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Cordy had been better than Jones up until last week though. Jones was on the cusp of being dropped and a few on here were suggesting he go back to Willy and kick a few goals to get his confidence up.

Same might apply. He may just need to go back and work on his goal kicking.

1eyedog
02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Cordy had been better than Jones up until last week though. Jones was on the cusp of being dropped and a few on here were suggesting he go back to Willy and kick a few goals to get his confidence up.

Same might apply. He may just need to go back and work on his goal kicking.

But how much work can you do on goal kicking in the 2s? He needs AFL level pressure to improve his goal kicking on match day, not kicking 4 or 5 at Willy, and he can work on his technique at training.

His positioning was much better last Friday night and while his leads were still off his contested marking returned, I thought he would be allowed some continuity to further develop his goal kicking at the top level and build on some of the form he showed last Friday night against the Cats.

Greystache
02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
I walked away from last week's match questioning at this point in time whether we can afford to go with both Roughead and Jones in the same forward line. Jones' kicking for goal from set shots is poor, but in reality Roughead's is worse. Continually missing gettable set shots so close to goal has a negative effect on the team's momentum, and given Roughead is required to play as the second ruck, and his form has been quite good, perhaps the MC feel Cordy is a more reliable option up forward and is ahead of Jones for balance while Roughead's form is good.

Just a thought.

Eastdog
02-06-2012, 01:01 PM
But how much work can you do on goal kicking in the 2s? He needs AFL level pressure to improve his goal kicking on match day, not kicking 4 or 5 at Willy, and he can work on his technique at training.

His positioning was much better last Friday night and while his leads were still off his contested marking returned, I thought he would be allowed some continuity to further develop his goal kicking at the top level and build on some of the form he showed last Friday night against the Cats.

Good post. He could dominate for Williamstown in the 2s and kick a bag but when coming up into the seniors it is a different level. This week some people are saying that the CHF role is not as important against the Swans as the SCG is a small ground. Kennedy will be the main man to stop as his form has been very good.

bornadog
02-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I walked away from last week's match questioning at this point in time whether we can afford to go with both Roughead and Jones in the same forward line. Jones' kicking for goal from set shots is poor, but in reality Roughead's is worse. Continually missing gettable set shots so close to goal has a negative effect on the team's momentum, and given Roughead is required to play as the second ruck, and his form has been quite good, perhaps the MC feel Cordy is a more reliable option up forward and is ahead of Jones for balance while Roughead's form is good.

Just a thought.

Cordy's goal kicking is not much better. Has missed at least three that I can remember from 20/30 metres. I think the coach is looking at more than goal kicking and feels Cordy is a better option at this stage.

Greystache
02-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Cordy's goal kicking is not much better. Has missed at least three that I can remember from 20/30 metres. I think the coach is looking at more than goal kicking and feels Cordy is a better option at this stage.

It's an issue across our entire list of young tall forwards, you could add Jarrad Grant to the list of questionable set shots too. Really of our young key forward Panos is the only natural goal kicker, and his year has been disappointing so far.

Cordy does strike me as more of a natural goal kicker than the other two, however his career record of 3-3 doesn't really indicate that yet.

Topdog
02-06-2012, 01:44 PM

Not close to. Absolutely staggering.

Greystache
02-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Jones is out there for Williamstown, so no late change there

Dry Rot
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM
It is bucketing down up here, and likely to be pretty wet tomorrow too.

Does that change your view of the final team?

Pickenitup
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Went Training Today No Zephi Maybe a late change Pearce did train also Coons didnt train but im pretty sure the day before the game Coons rests.

LostDoggy
02-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Went Training Today No Zephi Maybe a late change Pearce did train also Coons didnt train but im pretty sure the day before the game Coons rests.

Cheers for the first hand info!

Jones late change in again? :rolleyes:

SlimPickens
02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Cheers for the first hand info!

Jones late change in again? :rolleyes:

Jones played at Willy today so not likely.

LostDoggy
02-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Pearce didn't play today

LostDoggy
02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
It is bucketing down up here, and likely to be pretty wet tomorrow too.

Does that change your view of the final team?

The forecast for a week said it would be wet , I did expect Smith to be the Sub based on that , it looks like the Z-Man will be the Sub and I,m not sure he will find the space to be effective in wet weather contested football

Going with just one tall Cordy makes sense as he can do the ruckwork when the ball is forward to give Roughead and Minson a break , Ted Richards will do the same as Mumford is underdone , Roughead might spend some time dropping back to do the same

If there is a late change it could be Smith in for Skinner to be the Sub

azabob
02-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Going with just one tall Cordy makes sense as he can do the ruckwork when the ball is forward to give Roughead and Minson a break , Ted Richards will do the same as Mumford is underdone , Roughead might spend some time dropping back to do the same

Sydney do have a second ruckman playing.

Greystache
02-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Given Smith played a full game for Williamstown in Melbourne today I'd say that late change is highly unlikely.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-06-2012, 08:05 PM

Jones would be alright if he knew how to kick goals. Yet to prove himself at AFL level. Another poor game today for Williamstown justified his dropping. Cordy and Roughead are still a work in progess but I would see both of them ahead of Jones in their development.

LostDoggy
02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Given Smith played a full game for Williamstown in Melbourne today I'd say that late change is highly unlikely.

Just shows that I did,nt look in the Willi thread before pushing send :)

So the Z-Man is the Sub then , wet contested footy is heavily in the favour of players who stay on their feet , when he comes on his opponent will most likely position himself in front and let Skinner jump for the ball when it comes in , the wet weather and his hard hands won,t be a good combination and his opponent will be able to break away

Unless of course he gets put at FF to compete for any balls kicked over a contest , his speed and agility could be give Richards problems

Cyberdoggie
02-06-2012, 08:50 PM
It's an issue across our entire list of young tall forwards, you could add Jarrad Grant to the list of questionable set shots too. Really of our young key forward Panos is the only natural goal kicker, and his year has been disappointing so far.

Cordy does strike me as more of a natural goal kicker than the other two, however his career record of 3-3 doesn't really indicate that yet.

Too True,

They are all shockers for kicking accuracy, Roughead and Cordy's technique is ok but seems to fall apart under the pressure of goal kicking, where as Jones is a bit unco in general and Grant's legs are all over the place physically and i don't get how the club let him get away with that stupid ball drop.

I really hope it's just a confidence thing with most of them but i fear Jones and Grant will always have problems due to their poor actions and physique.

azabob
02-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Just shows that I did,nt look in the Willi thread before pushing send :)

So the Z-Man is the Sub then ,

Not necessarily, Pearce didn't play today so he could still play.

Sockeye Salmon
02-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Not necessarily, Pearce didn't play today so he could still play.

I hope so

Bumper Bulldogs
03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Too True,
i don't get how the club let him get away with that stupid ball drop.

Is this something that they can change at this late stage o his career, I recall we touched on this many threads ago and it was offered up as you work with what you've got and not change to much.

For me this should have been built into the workings on the prospects of drafting him. Concern to see that out of anyone over the age of 6 Grant is the only person I see kick with this type of action.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Too True,

They are all shockers for kicking accuracy, Roughead and Cordy's technique is ok but seems to fall apart under the pressure of goal kicking, where as Jones is a bit unco in general and Grant's legs are all over the place physically and i don't get how the club let him get away with that stupid ball drop.

I really hope it's just a confidence thing with most of them but i fear Jones and Grant will always have problems due to their poor actions and physique.

Campbell seems like a good shot on goal, or at least he was at the one Bulldogs game I have seen him play in Ballarat.

LostDoggy
03-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't live in Sydney, but looking at the radar it doesn't look good. Looks like alot of rain coming.

Will surely be a late change. I can't see Zeph being effective in the wet, still bemused by his selection.

Rocco Jones
03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't live in Sydney, but looking at the radar it doesn't look good. Looks like alot of rain coming.

Will surely be a late change. I can't see Zeph being effective in the wet, still bemused by his selection.

Me too, especially when we have Roughy, Ayce and Will already in the side. Perhaps we planned to have a look at how bad the rain would actually be. I think it would have been a great opportunity to give Clay a crack.

Twodogs
03-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm not suprised that Jones got dropped. I love his contested marking but the fact that he goes back to have his shot on goal looking like a rabbit trapped in the spotlight needs to be worked on.

I'm happy to see Skinner get some consecutive games too. The two goals he has kicked in the last two games have both been from outside 50 at vital stages of those games.

Rocco Jones
03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Pearce in for Skinner. He is also the sub.

Mantis
03-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Jones would be alright if he knew how to kick goals. Yet to prove himself at AFL level. Another poor game today for Williamstown justified his dropping. Cordy and Roughead are still a work in progess but I would see both of them ahead of Jones in their development.

That's the funniest thing I've read today.... Thanks.

Bulldog4life
03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
That's the funniest thing I've read today.... Thanks.

Firstly it is not funny. As BMac said all three players are neck and neck at the moment and they will probably stay that way for a little while. Then no doubt one or two will surge ahead of the other(s).Cordy's game today against Sydney more than stacked up against Jones's yesterday in the VFL.

LostDoggy
03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
It is funny. As a forward Jones is miles ahead of Cordy and Roughead ATM.

Bulldog4life
03-06-2012, 07:21 PM
It is funny. As a forward Jones is miles ahead of Cordy and Roughead ATM.

That is your opinion chopper.:)

LostDoggy
03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
That is your opinion chopper.:)

Yes lifey my Opinion supported facts like effective games as a forward.

Ozza
04-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Yes lifey my Opinion supported facts like effective games as a forward.

Jones is lightyears ahead of Rough and Cordy at the moment. Very frustrating that we didn't put a side in that had a chance of winning in Sydney. Picking 3 very lumbering talls in the wet was a howler.

Hot_Doggies
04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Jones is lightyears ahead of Rough and Cordy at the moment. Very frustrating that we didn't put a side in that had a chance of winning in Sydney. Picking 3 very lumbering talls in the wet was a howler.

I agree, Jones should play majority of remaining games. So should Cordy and Roughead.

Minson going down with a 4wk hammy later in the season wouldn't be a 'bad' thing.

bornadog
04-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Minson going down with a 4wk hammy later in the season wouldn't be a 'bad' thing.

Is this a joke? Very poor post. Third in the AFL for effective hitouts, having a great season.

Ozza
04-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I agree, Jones should play majority of remaining games. So should Cordy and Roughead.

Can't say I agree with this part. Minson was terrific yesterday and has had a good season. Cordy and Roughead will just have to continue to improve and develop behind Minson - hopefully at some point in the next couple of years - Roughead will go past Minson - because it seems unlikely Cordy will ever be a ruckman.

GVGjr
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM

I've never thought a player being injured as a good thing. Very surprised to read that by one of our supporters.

Hot_Doggies
04-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't think it would hurt to let Cordy and Roughead carry the ruck for a few weeks.

Although Minson has improved, he is a battler at best.

If we could get a 2nd rounder for him, i would take it.

Happy Days
04-06-2012, 03:34 PM

Bad match committee decisions aside, blaming anything else other than a total lack of composure through the midfield and unwillingness to spread (which isn't a new thing this year btw) is a total oversight.

I get that McCartney is only 10 games into a very long term vision, but he needs to implement some light changes to ensure we don't serve up that tripe again on the odd chance that there's a side out there that are better in a contested situation than us - maybe someone, anyone, not "cracking in" and acting as a sweeper so we don't get burnt on the spread for goals like 5 times every week?

Ozza
04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Bad match committee decisions aside, blaming anything else other than a total lack of composure through the midfield and unwillingness to spread (which isn't a new thing this year btw) is a total oversight.

I get that McCartney is only 10 games into a very long term vision, but he needs to implement some light changes to ensure we don't serve up that tripe again on the odd chance that there's a side out there that are better in a contested situation than us - maybe someone, anyone, not "cracking in" and acting as a sweeper so we don't get burnt on the spread for goals like 5 times every week?

Obviously we lost due to far more than the selection. But I never felt like we had a chance by going in with that side. I understand McCartney is looking long term - and most of what he has done this year has been terrific. But you're still entitled to select a team that has a remote hope of winning - a team that has some balance in it - and god forbid some pace.

We picked every slow footballer we have at the club on Sunday. And we went in with what I'm guessing was one of our tallest teams for the year to play against a quick side in the wet.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2012, 04:40 PM

So true. McCartney said post game that we didn't adapt to the conditions. The same could be said for the selection committee. I'm a bit angry about this loss. People at work have been giving it to me all day. I hate any team having its foot on the throat of our club. I really hope we bounce back.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't think Jones is light years ahead of Cordy and Roughead.

Jones has had 1 decent game for the year and he's still extremely raw, lacking some basic fundamental smarts about the game and, of course, the ability to finish.

I actually think Roughead is the most advanced, but he's the worst kick for goal in the side at the moment. He hasn't got a horrible action -- he just doesn't get near 'em.

Ozza
04-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I don't think Jones is light years ahead of Cordy and Roughead.

Jones has had 1 decent game for the year and he's still extremely raw, lacking some basic fundamental smarts about the game and, of course, the ability to finish.

I actually think Roughead is the most advanced, but he's the worst kick for goal in the side at the moment. He hasn't got a horrible action -- he just doesn't get near 'em.

Jones was 5th in the AFL for contested marks last year. This year every time he's played - he's had the oppositions best defender and has been double or triple teamed in the air - and most of the time he has at least halved the contest. Against Geelong, he may not have finished off his work - but he took some great marks across half forward with terrific attack on the ball in the air.

I don't think Cordy or Roughead have had as much impact in a game at any stage - as Jones did last week alone. If Jones was dropped so we could go in with a smaller forward set up - I could understand it. But playing two 200+Cms guys was very surprising.

At this point - personally - I think Rough is the least developed of the 3. He doesn't read the play well - and is regularly 30-40m from where he should be. His attack on the ball is pretty disappointing at this stage as well - occasionally he attacks it ok - but there's not a consistent strong leap at the footy from him at this stage.

Rocco Jones
04-06-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't think it would hurt to let Cordy and Roughead carry the ruck for a few weeks.

I have been a strong critic of Minson's in the past but this reeks of you having his cards marked and just refusing to change your mind (or having a very different opinion of what a quality ruckman is to mine).

From Round 3 on he has been very difficult to beat. He has been in the handful of top ruckman in the league this year and that's coming from a guy who would have literally traded him for nothing if a club would have taken over his contract.

Bulldog Joe
04-06-2012, 07:18 PM
I have been a strong critic of Minson's in the past but this reeks of you having his cards marked and just refusing to change your mind (or having a very different opinion of what a quality ruckman is to mine).

From Round 3 on he has been very difficult to beat. He has been in the handful of top ruckman in the league this year and that's coming from a guy who would have literally traded him for nothing if a club would have taken over his contract.

Good post Rocco.

I have avoided comment on Will this year. I was howled down at the end of 2010 when there was talk of trading him and I suggested that the club would be better served to trade Hudson.

Will is showing that he is a first ruck and was actually pushed aside because of the arrival of Hudson. Will was always asked to be the forward because Hudson could not do that at all.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Jones was 5th in the AFL for contested marks last year. This year every time he's played - he's had the oppositions best defender and has been double or triple teamed in the air - and most of the time he has at least halved the contest. Against Geelong, he may not have finished off his work - but he took some great marks across half forward with terrific attack on the ball in the air.

I don't think Cordy or Roughead have had as much impact in a game at any stage - as Jones did last week alone. If Jones was dropped so we could go in with a smaller forward set up - I could understand it. But playing two 200+Cms guys was very surprising.

As harsh as it is, who cares what Jones did last year? He's been awful all pre-season and in all H&A games minus v Geelong. I wouldn't say he's halved the contest either. In fact, I can't recall him really even drawing a contest over the duration of a match let alone win one aside from the Geelong game.

I think a lot of people give Jones more credit than he deserves. I've watched him closely this year and his footy smarts (or lack of) are poor.

I think Roughead's had a solid season. He's shown an ability all over the ground. If he was kicking straight, I guarantee posters would be praising him because he's had quite a few shots on goal this year.

Jones was pretty good v Geelong, but Roughead could have been the match winner. He missed 4? in a row.

I do agree last week's decision to play 3 talls in those conditions was absolutely mind boggling though. Really poor from the coaching staff.

Hotdog60
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM

MInson would have to be one of the better ruckmen going around in the AFL this year and I wouldn't want to loose him. Being the main man this year has been like a tonic and the big guys always are late developers so Will is just hitting his prime.

If Roughead is good enough to take the number one mantle let him prove it.

LongWait
04-06-2012, 07:49 PM
As harsh as it is, who cares what Jones did last year? He's been awful all pre-season and in all H&A games minus v Geelong. I wouldn't say he's halved the contest either. In fact, I can't recall him really even drawing a contest over the duration of a match let alone win one aside from the Geelong game.

I think a lot of people give Jones more credit than he deserves. I've watched him closely this year and his footy smarts (or lack of) are poor.

I think Roughead's had a solid season. He's shown an ability all over the ground. If he was kicking straight, I guarantee posters would be praising him because he's had quite a few shots on goal this year.

Jones was pretty good v Geelong, but Roughead could have been the match winner. He missed 4? in a row.

I do agree last week's decision to play 3 talls in those conditions was absolutely mind boggling though. Really poor from the coaching staff.

Which of our talls was poor yesterday? Did we get less from Will, Roughy or Ayce than we did from any of a dozen or more other players?

I don't think being too 'tall' was our problem yesterday. Sydney played two ruckmen plus Reid up forward, who played the same role that Cordy did for us, and they had LRT up forward as well. Was playing three or four talls a mistake for Sydney?

azabob
04-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Which of our talls was poor yesterday? Did we get less from Will, Roughy or Ayce than we did from any of a dozen or more other players?

I don't think being too 'tall' was our problem yesterday. Sydney played two ruckmen plus Reid up forward, who played the same role that Cordy did for us, and they had LRT up forward as well. Was playing three or four talls a mistake for Sydney?

Agree, I said yesterday we didn't go too tall, if anything Sydney went in taller. Our mid size players let us down yesterday.

Desipura
04-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Good post Rocco.

I have avoided comment on Will this year. I was howled down at the end of 2010 when there was talk of trading him and I suggested that the club would be better served to trade Hudson.

Will is showing that he is a first ruck and was actually pushed aside because of the arrival of Hudson. Will was always asked to be the forward because Hudson could not do that at all.
Oh cmon, a large percentage of your posts have reminded us of how you have rated Will all along.
He has been consistent this year, has not totally dominated a game to the point that he was BOG, however he is playing within his limitations.
He will never be our saviour, however he is the best ruckman we currently have on our list.

Bulldog Joe
04-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh cmon, a large percentage of your posts have reminded us of how you have rated Will all along.
He has been consistent this year, has not totally dominated a game to the point that he was BOG, however he is playing within his limitations.
He will never be our saviour, however he is the best ruckman we currently have on our list.

Desi

I have in previous years shown my support for Will, but I cannot recall making a single post this season apart from the one in this thread.

GVGjr
04-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Fact or fiction?