PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stuff

stefoid
30-05-2012, 10:16 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/turnovers-over-clearances/video-e6frf33l-1226373210871?subcat=1225914646053

bornadog
30-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Great stuff Stefoid and thank you for posting. Interesting, I was listening to the radio on the way home from the game on Friday and basically Parkin said something similar in that when he looks at the Geelong team, all their young midfielders are outside players and could be in trouble in the future unless they can change their style. I guess Geelong have emphasized more on the tackling side of things and creating the turnovers rather than the CP. I don't know if its a deliberate ploy but love the analysis from David King. Geelong are the second highest tackling side, Sydney the highest

We are 5th this year in tackling and averaging only 5 less a game than Sydney, so this weeks game will be interesting.

Mofra
30-05-2012, 12:29 PM
It is interesting, although Geelong's drop off in contested possession does mirror their drop off in form this year.

It would be interesting to mirror the contested possession importance in H&A games vs finals. I'm not sure too many sides would win finals whilst losing out on contested possession.

Cyberdoggie
30-05-2012, 12:39 PM
It is interesting, although Geelong's drop off in contested possession does mirror their drop off in form this year.

It would be interesting to mirror the contested possession importance in H&A games vs finals. I'm not sure too many sides would win finals whilst losing out on contested possession.

You wouldn't think many would, don't know how far the stats would go back for CP's.

I heard Macca say that teams that win the cp's win something like 70% of the time so that alone is a good reason to win the cp's.

Mofra
30-05-2012, 01:07 PM
70% of the season is 15 1/2 wins - pushing for top 4 stuff. Still a believer in the B-Mac contested ball mantra.

bornadog
30-05-2012, 01:18 PM
70% of the season is 15 1/2 wins - pushing for top 4 stuff. Still a believer in the B-Mac contested ball mantra.

No doubt CP is the way to go, but if you don't have the players that are capable of winning the ball, then alternative strategies need to be put into place.

stefoid
30-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Against the saints we edged them for CP and CL, yet they destroyed us, basically through making sure our clearances were of poor quality - almost conceding the ball to us put then getting it back again on the turnover very soon after.

Basically when you get the ball from a turnover, you are catching the other team on the hop a bit, and your chances of scoring are higher than if you win in from a stoppage.

In the video they said 2/3rds of all goals are scored from turnovers - that speaks volumes.

We desperately need to balance out our midfield with better ball users.

whythelongface
30-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Against the saints we edged them for CP and CL, yet they destroyed us, basically through making sure our clearances were of poor quality - almost conceding the ball to us put then getting it back again on the turnover very soon after.

Basically when you get the ball from a turnover, you are catching the other team on the hop a bit, and your chances of scoring are higher than if you win in from a stoppage.

In the video they said 2/3rds of all goals are scored from turnovers - that speaks volumes.

A good analysis from David King last night about how Geelong played against us ie.waiting for the turnover and catching us on the hop. As you have mentioned similar to how the Saints played against us. Wonder if this is a deliberate tactic, in particular with regards to Geelong as most of their young midfielders are outside players.

I guess the next area in our development will be to ensure that we hit our targets more often than not so that turnovers are minimised. How will this be achieved? Improvement in our skill levels to be able to hit targets on a more consistent basis or running and leading into space to minimise these turnovers.

bornadog
30-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I guess the next area in our development will be to ensure that we hit our targets more often than not so that turnovers are minimised. How will this be achieved? Improvement in our skill levels to be able to hit targets on a more consistent basis or running and leading into space to minimise these turnovers.

I am sure Murphy would appreciate it after running 100metres bouncing the ball, handballing and getting it back only for Roughead to handball straight to Geelong:D

Greystache
30-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Cheers Stefoid,

I reallly like AFL insider, it's probably my favourite footy related show. It's geared mor towards your footy geek, but that's hardly a crime amongst WOOFers!

LostDoggy
30-05-2012, 06:41 PM

My knowledge being somewhat limited, it seems to me that the strategy is only going to work against those teams with less-than-ideal hand and foot skills. Give a skilled team (like West Coast) first possession as a general tactic and you'll find yourself run over pretty bloody quickly.

LongWait
30-05-2012, 07:07 PM
My knowledge being somewhat limited, it seems to me that the strategy is only going to work against those teams with less-than-ideal hand and foot skills. Give a skilled team (like West Coast) first possession as a general tactic and you'll find yourself run over pretty bloody quickly.

I think you are pretty close to the mark here.

We aim to win the contested footy and also to be good defensively across the ground, which means we will get a fair amount of footy and also pressure the opposition into mistakes and turnovers when they get it. Our next challenge, as has often been discussed on WOOF, is to greatly improve our use of the ball so we don't turn it over so frequently.

LostDoggy
30-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I think you are pretty close to the mark here.

We aim to win the contested footy and also to be good defensively across the ground, which means we will get a fair amount of footy and also pressure the opposition into mistakes and turnovers when they get it. Our next challenge, as has often been discussed on WOOF, is to greatly improve our use of the ball so we don't turn it over so frequently.

The Holy Grail —*!good at defence, good at running it forward.

What I like about what we've seen of our game plan (and I don't think we've seen the full extent of Macca's vision yet) is that it's a fantastic base to work from.